Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=103517
Printed Date: April 29 2024 at 01:51
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 2nd Round Moderns: Book of Horizons v. Snowtorch
Posted By: micky
Subject: 2nd Round Moderns: Book of Horizons v. Snowtorch
Date Posted: August 01 2015 at 09:35
next up.. damn... that will a hard one to choose...

in this corner.. a revelation to me courtesy of the polls.

Secret Chiefs 3 ClapClapClap

and in the far corner... one of greats out of the American progressive scene (tradtional prog division)

Phideaux ClapClapClap

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Replies:
Posted By: zravkapt
Date Posted: August 01 2015 at 09:41
SC3 by quite a bit.

-------------
Magma America Great Make Again

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: August 01 2015 at 09:46
SC3 quite easily, I like Phideaux & this is a pretty good one but SC3 are a monster.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: August 01 2015 at 09:58
Snowtorch by a smidge.

-------------

Date Posted: August 01 2015 at 10:19
hard vote for me...  and have been wondering.. why did we go with this SC3 album over Book M. Definitely higher rated..in PA's terms... and I noted on a lot of people's top modern album lists.

If it were Book M.. easy vote..  an out of this world album..Clap this one is harder though.. 2 merely GREAT albums.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: August 01 2015 at 14:27
SC3!

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: August 01 2015 at 14:50
SC3, though Snowtoch is good as well.

I actually prefer Horizons over M slightly.

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: August 01 2015 at 15:13
Voted for Phideaux

Date Posted: August 01 2015 at 15:31
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

Voted for Phideaux

leaning toward Phideuax myself... that kind of music really isn't my stylistic cup of tea these days. It has shifted more to off-center but for what it was.. it was pretty close to perfection in my eyes. Reinforced by seeing them live at the Orion where they absolutely KILLED those songs live. Really an experience sitting right there in front of them and seeing the invest everything into those songs. Quite the experience and was in fact one of the best concerts I've seen in recent memory.

However I simply haven't heard Book of Horizons enough.. I had only just been wowed by it when Raff told me.. hey dummy.. you know we have one of their albums.. and prompty fell head over heels in love with Book M.  I need to give Book of Horizons some more listens.. and still need to order it as a matter of fact.

For the first year in many years .. really since I finished my massive search and destroy mission of purchasing RPI/Krautrock albums... I'll be hitting the album vendors at Progday hard.. and with a purpose.

-------------

Posted By: akaBona
Date Posted: August 01 2015 at 18:00
Phideaux

Posted By: t d wombat
Date Posted: August 01 2015 at 20:14
I do like Phideaux, have been enjoying a couple of their albums in recent times and this one is already a minor favourite. I confess that as I fully embrace old fartdom easy listening is becoming me. Crikey, I'll be listening to The Carpenters next. Wacko  SC3 otoh are one must admit simply wonderful. The more I listen the more I'm becoming hopelessly devoted and this album is quite simply gorgeous. Damn they are good. The playing, composition, production .... all bloody near faultless. Not overly rapt in the thankfully minimal vocals so Exterminating Angel and Hypostasis lose me to some extent but then the Owl in Daylights sucks me right back in. Book T is really something of an oddity wot ? If Dick Dale had gone Prog ?  LOL  Anthropomorphis seals the deal and Welcome to the Theatron Animatronique does nothing to dissuade me. Clap

-------------
Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx

Date Posted: August 01 2015 at 21:05
hey! Angry  Nothing wrong with the Carpenters man! LOL In fact we have they have a mini-fanclub here at PA's. Thumbs Up 

Yeah.. I get your point though. Easy listening prog is not normally my thing but Phideaux is quite excellent. LOL  It does scratches the itch. Chaos may be a ladder, violence a refuge, but beauty can still stir the jaded soul.

-------------

Date Posted: August 02 2015 at 10:33
poor Raff needs a break...  ohh.. and what does she choose.. ELO!!! ClapLOL

next up will be refreshers to this poll.  Mainly for the SC3 album.

-------------

Date Posted: August 02 2015 at 11:19
alrighty...  back to it...

going with Book of Horizons...

-------------

Posted By: Imperial Zeppelin
Date Posted: August 02 2015 at 11:20
Secret Chefs - Book of Hummus

-------------
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: August 02 2015 at 13:01
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

Voted for Phideaux

leaning toward Phideuax myself... that kind of music really isn't my stylistic cup of tea these days. It has shifted more to off-center but for what it was.. it was pretty close to perfection in my eyes. Reinforced by seeing them live at the Orion where they absolutely KILLED those songs live. Really an experience sitting right there in front of them and seeing the invest everything into those songs. Quite the experience and was in fact one of the best concerts I've seen in recent memory.

However I simply haven't heard Book of Horizons enough.. I had only just been wowed by it when Raff told me.. hey dummy.. you know we have one of their albums.. and prompty fell head over heels in love with Book M.  I need to give Book of Horizons some more listens.. and still need to order it as a matter of fact.

For the first year in many years .. really since I finished my massive search and destroy mission of purchasing RPI/Krautrock albums... I'll be hitting the album vendors at Progday hard.. and with a purpose.

Yes, hit them hard LOL
Actually, it wasn't an easy choice. Might have voted otherwise, I think today.

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: August 02 2015 at 13:34
Snowtorch.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Date Posted: August 02 2015 at 15:47
yeah.. a refresher listen is sort of pointing me to what I suspected.

Book of Horizons may be a great album. a real styilistic WTF'r and creative on high.. but as an album it lacks the cohesion of Book M.  Perhaps a bit too jarring in stylistic departures. Something I thought Book M pulled off more sucessfully.

Also I did a refresher to Snowtorch.  Giving BoH one more listen later but the vote is likely going to Snowtorch.

-------------

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: August 02 2015 at 16:56
Snowtorch

-------------

Date Posted: August 02 2015 at 17:44
and tying it up.... for Snowtorch.. and it had to be a damn good album to get the vote.

-------------

Date Posted: August 03 2015 at 17:41

Now there is a band I tried ever so hard to like but never, other than the odd track, did. The old story, I kept scratching away but never finding anything approximating depth.

-------------
Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx

Posted By: Komandant Shamal
Date Posted: August 03 2015 at 18:51

i voted for "Snowtorch".

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: August 04 2015 at 20:03
Another easy vote. SC3

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: August 05 2015 at 01:28
Darn it, I love Snowtorch, but most of these polls by Micky match an album I have to an unknown album. So I with-hold voting.

Date Posted: August 05 2015 at 04:52
surprising result so far.... even if I helped add to it. LOL  Again.. would have voted for Book M over Snowtorch as great as that is.. I likely would have voted for that over all but a mere handful of modern albums actually..

-------------

Date Posted: August 05 2015 at 05:42
Originally posted by t d wombat t d wombat wrote:

Now there is a band I tried ever so hard to like but never, other than the odd track, did. The old story, I kept scratching away but never finding anything approximating depth.

oh really... first time I ever pumped this album, my mother 8-track!!, into my brain via headphones...

I was hooked. It wasn't Yes, King Crimson, or some dish from the Olive Garden that made me into a prog fan..

it was this...

perhaps a fair bit of sentimentality rules me.. but that is no sin... it should rule us. It is music we hold dear for reminding us of special times and places in our lives. For me... I hear this album I think back to shy little kid reading Asimov and being taken to places vast and fascinating.  I love 'em all actually. From the over prog rock first half of the 70's to more subtle prog-pop of the mid to late 70's. Great stuff.. Lynne was one hell of good songwriter and had a crazy good group behind him.

-------------

Date Posted: August 05 2015 at 17:01

Originally posted by t d wombat t d wombat wrote:

oh really... first time I ever pumped this album, my mother 8-track!!, into my brain via headphones...

I was hooked. It wasn't Yes, King Crimson, or some dish from the Olive Garden that made me into a prog fan..

it was this...

perhaps a fair bit of sentimentality rules me.. but that is no sin... it should rule us. It is music we hold dear for reminding us of special times and places in our lives. For me... I hear this album I think back to shy little kid reading Asimov and being taken to places vast and fascinating.  I love 'em all actually. From the over prog rock first half of the 70's to more subtle prog-pop of the mid to late 70's. Great stuff.. Lynne was one hell of good songwriter and had a crazy good group behind him.

A mistake I was often guilty of in my younger daze was not searching backwards. First ELO I bought was Eldorado, then gave them another shot with New World Record. It has been many a year since I listened to either of them but I cannot remember anything as interesting as England Town on either disc.

No doubt Lynn is a good songwriter, just not really my cup of tea I guess. (Letting You Tube cycle, now playing Sweet Talking Woman, yep fabulous pop song but Prog ? Surely not.) Didn't really get off on any of the Wilbury's stuff either. Loved Orbison and of course Dylan but could take or leave Petty. It all reminds me somewhat of one of those guitar orchestra abominations that the poms are seemingly so fond of. Shocked

ps - guitar orchestra might be a misnomer. I'm thinking of how at the end of some bloated extravaganza they finish up with everyone from Clapton to Bonamassa hammering away for seemingly no good reason. Upteen drummers, from Starr to Collins etc etc. Not where you have a bunch of people on acoustic guitars doing classical stuff.

pps - rule by heart is not bad thing. I hate it when I let my head take over though the damn thing is usually more sensible than my poor bleeding liberal heart. LOL

-------------
Andrew B

Posted By: proggman
Date Posted: August 05 2015 at 19:08

Phideaux, Snowtorch.

-------------
When he rides, my fears subside.
For darkness turns once more to light.
Through the skies, his white horse flies.
To find a land beyond the night.

Posted By: Kazza3
Date Posted: August 07 2015 at 04:00
SC3.

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: August 08 2015 at 06:09
Snowtorch is a great favourite of mine, and the members of Phideaux are a bunch of lovely people. However, if the chosen SC3 album had been Book M, I would have found it very difficult not to vote for it.

Date Posted: August 08 2015 at 06:14
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Snowtorch is a great favourite of mine, and the members of Phideaux are a bunch of lovely people. However, if the chosen SC3 album had been Book M, I would have found it very difficult not to vote for it.

yeah..  I do think the results of this poll, great as Snowtorch was, would have different if Boom M had been the option... this was a hard vote.... that would have been a WTF no brainer.

-------------

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: August 08 2015 at 22:51
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

here hear
I love Snowtorch - for some reason I haven't gotten around to reviewing it even though it's been a favorite since it came out

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk