Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=103749
Printed Date: May 20 2024 at 11:48
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Head says no, heart says yes
Posted By: condor
Subject: Head says no, heart says yes
Date Posted: August 18 2015 at 09:18
I recently bought Second Life Syndrome by Riverside. My first reaction was a voice in my head going "this is rubbish" but at the same time the hairs on the back of my hands were going up.

Any examples of where the body contradicts the brain?

Replies:
Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: August 18 2015 at 09:25
How so?

-------------
What?

Posted By: aglasshouse
Date Posted: August 18 2015 at 09:27
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

How so?

-------------
http://fryingpanmedia.com

Posted By: condor
Date Posted: August 18 2015 at 09:34
I'm not sure

Posted By: Smurph
Date Posted: August 18 2015 at 09:38
Sometime when something is cheesy, like a lot of the lesser level post-rock/post-metal (Shels, Explosions in the Sky) and a good bit of well written but predictable prog-metal I think "I don't like this very much, I would never write this. Gosh what is this. Ew. Why did they choose so many notes with a predictability" but I end up loving it as it makes me feel an emotion. I think there is something about certain music that is predictable hitting certain emotional chords but turning away the brain.

This might be due to my problem with overanalyzing but that's life.

So maybe that's what you mean?

-------------
http://pseudosentai.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - http://pseudosentai.bandcamp.com/

wtf

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: August 18 2015 at 09:43
Originally posted by condor condor wrote:

I recently bought Second Life Syndrome by Riverside. My first reaction was a voice in my head going "this is rubbish" but at the same time the hairs on the back of my hands were going up.

Only with regard to a girl I once dated. Never had that reaction to music, I don't think..

If it evoked that physical reaction in you then you probably like it. No need to fight it.

I agree more with your brain in this instance though. Probably wouldn't go as far as saying it's rubbish, but SLS done nothing for me.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: August 18 2015 at 09:47
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

How so?
Dean asked a fair question. How about a more constructive answer than "I'm not sure". We're not psychic, my friend. Smile

Date Posted: August 18 2015 at 09:50
Is anyone else thinking about that damn Britney Spears song now

-------------
http://pseudosentai.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - http://pseudosentai.bandcamp.com/

wtf

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: August 18 2015 at 09:52
My brain told me I would like Porcupine Tree's "In Absentia" (as I normally like PT and I like this kind of rocky guitar stuff as a rule) but I never really got it. I don't dislike it, I just can't put my finger on it somehow.

Date Posted: August 18 2015 at 10:20
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

My brain told me I would like Porcupine Tree's "In Absentia" (as I normally like PT and I like this kind of rocky guitar stuff as a rule) but I never really got it. I don't dislike it, I just can't put my finger on it somehow.

Ah, now you see I felt like that about Lightbulb Sun. Because everyone else thought it was the dogs boll0cks but I just thought it was boll0cks. I thought I was bound to like it, but I do love In Absentia. I think it's their best album by a mile.

-------------

Date Posted: August 18 2015 at 10:21

In Absentia is the metal album for people who hate metal. LOL

Date Posted: August 18 2015 at 10:24
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

You mean the black album by Metallica?

;)

-------------

wtf

Date Posted: August 18 2015 at 10:33
^Exactly! LOL

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: August 18 2015 at 10:39
My brain is usually in harmony with my ... erm ... heart (I hate colloquial poetry), so yes, I think what the OP experiences is a level of over-analysis or expectations I previously thought to be inconceivable. However, I do find myself really enjoying almost every song on Bert Jansch's Rosemary Lane and at the same time thinking: "OK, all this song has is an original melody and impeccable vocal delivery. That's it?" Yes, that's it. Sometimes that's all a song needs, but as someone who's been spoiled with overly saturated chord progressions, syncopated rhythms, and cool experiments, I'd say "Make the most out of the song."

Date Posted: August 18 2015 at 10:43
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

My brain is usually in harmony with my ... erm ... heart (I hate colloquial poetry), so yes, I think what the OP experiences is a level of over-analysis or expectations I previously thought to be inconceivable. However, I do find myself really enjoying almost every song on Bert Jansch's Rosemary Lane and at the same time thinking: "OK, all this song has is an original melody and impeccable vocal delivery. That's it?" Yes, that's it. Sometimes that's all a song needs, but as someone who's been spoiled with overly saturated chord progressions, syncopated rhythms, and cool experiments, I'd say "Make the most out of the song."
The 'less is more' dynamic with some music is hard to explain. It simply exists for some while others cannot comprehend it.

-------------

Date Posted: August 18 2015 at 10:53
^ OK. So, ...

1) Less is more (subjectively perceived deficiency)

... and, as Smurph pointed out,

2) Enjoying predictable stuff (I can't recall a single moment when I would enjoy something predictable.)

Date Posted: August 18 2015 at 10:58
^Here's another subjectively perceived deficiency: Lighten up.

-------------

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: August 18 2015 at 11:06

Or Deadwing.......Wink

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: August 18 2015 at 11:18

^ OK. So, ...

1) Less is more (subjectively perceived deficiency)

... and, as Smurph pointed out,

2) Enjoying predictable stuff (I can't recall a single moment when I would enjoy something predictable.)

We most likely have way different definitions of predictable. Haha. I'm sure there is stuff that you've enjoyed that could be considered predictable. Once you get totally used to avant-freak-jazz-metal-death-prog-rock-in-opposition music all the time you'll start to see a lot more as predictable.Smile

-------------

wtf

Date Posted: August 18 2015 at 11:30
Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

We most likely have way different definitions of predictable. Haha. I'm sure there is stuff that you've enjoyed that could be considered predictable.
Then, I suppose, there's a subjective scale with multiple criteria (form, chord progression, how recycled a melody sounds, etc.) defining what one would deem as predictable.

Once you get totally used to avant-freak-jazz-metal-death-prog-rock-in-opposition music all the time you'll start to see a lot more as predictable.Smile
Then I better start warming up to it now.

Posted By: twalsh
Date Posted: August 18 2015 at 12:10
I see that you also posted the request for new extreme metal recommendations.  I really like riverside and like this album a lot, but to call it metal is quite a stretch.  Duda's voice is extremely melodic and he only rarely uses harshness.  From what I've heard of Riverside, only Anno Domini High Definition is particularly aggressive.
If you were expecting something more 'metal', your brain might be stuck on disappointed expectations.  I'm glad part of you likes it!

-------------
More heavy prog, please!

Posted By: tboyd1802
Date Posted: August 18 2015 at 12:28

I do have to agree with this sentiment. I find "In Absentia" an interesting album. When I first heard it, I thought it was fantastic and it was more-or-less on continuous play. Having lived with the album for quite some time now, I find I don't go back to it very often. If I want PT metal, I am much more likely to go back to "Deadwing" than "In Absentia." My initial reaction to "Deadwing," however, was not nearly as positive as my reaction to "In Absentia."

-------------
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore

Date Posted: August 18 2015 at 12:36

Then I better start warming up to it now.

HAHA :)

-------------

wtf

Posted By: Imperial Zeppelin
Date Posted: August 18 2015 at 12:41
My heart pumps blood and stuff. It doesn't have a musical taste.

-------------
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: August 18 2015 at 19:30

This used to happen to me when I first heard "Shoot High Aim Low" by Yes for some reason. Thought it was cheesy but made my hairs stand up---doesn't have the same effect many years later.

Posted By: AreYouHuman
Date Posted: August 18 2015 at 19:34
This is why I don't overanalyze.  Confused

-------------
Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!

Posted By: Polymorphia
Date Posted: August 18 2015 at 20:04
If my heart says yes, my head doesn't say "no," but "why?".

-------------
https://dreamwindow.bandcamp.com/releases" rel="nofollow - My Music

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: August 18 2015 at 21:36
The body contradicts the brain often, especially with big decisions.   My advice?: Go with the gut, or heart if you will.   The brain is an amazing thing but it can fool one into thinking that because the numbers work ~ something looks good on paper ~ that that's the correct choice.   But it usually isn't.   Trust your instincts.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: August 18 2015 at 21:54
Great minds have pondered this for some time

-------------

Posted By: A_Flower
Date Posted: August 18 2015 at 23:35
The real song to define the battle of the head and the heart is Hemispheres by Rush. I named my head Appolo and my heart Dianesis after that song.

Posted By: twalsh
Date Posted: August 18 2015 at 23:36
Thank god that video didn't play for me!

-------------
More heavy prog, please!

Date Posted: August 19 2015 at 01:02
Originally posted by twalsh twalsh wrote:

Thank god that video didn't play for me!

-------------

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: August 19 2015 at 06:41

And what exactly makes you think it's "rubbish"? The fact that they're Polish (a country which actually has a fine history of prog), or that they are prog metal? Or some other pre-conceived notion? Or that you obviously like King Crimson, so it might be a taste issue.

SLS makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up because it's one of the most brilliantly written and played albums I've ever heard. And that from someone who, in general, is not a fan of prog metaI.

Just play it and your reaction will tell you what you need to know.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: August 19 2015 at 06:43
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

And what exactly makes you think it's "rubbish"? The fact that they're Polish (a country which actually has a fine history of prog), or that they are prog metal? Or some other pre-conceived notion? Or that you obviously like King Crimson, so it might be a taste issue.

SLS makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up because it's one of the most brilliantly written and played albums I've ever heard. And that from someone who, in general, is not a fan of prog metaI.

Just play it and your reaction will tell you what you need to know.

Clap

-------------
What?

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: August 19 2015 at 08:04
For me, when I like the music, I try to just enjoy it, without overanalyzing the reasons, that might come later, but I always go with my personal taste. I'm done trying to intelectualize everything, and I prefer to allow my feelings take over instead, at least when it comes to music, or art in general.

Date Posted: August 19 2015 at 09:56

And what exactly makes you think it's "rubbish"? The fact that they're Polish

I love that you might think he didn't like a band because they were from Poland. I don't know if I know any music fan that hates a band because of where they are from? Hahah

-------------

wtf

Date Posted: August 19 2015 at 10:00
^ Herc was probably just joshing.

Date Posted: August 19 2015 at 17:21

And what exactly makes you think it's "rubbish"? The fact that they're Polish

I love that you might think he didn't like a band because they were from Poland. I don't know if I know any music fan that hates a band because of where they are from? Hahah

Some people have these daft prejudices. It's almost as stupid as "I don't like this band because they are neo-prog". They listen with predetermined opinions.

-------------

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: August 19 2015 at 18:42
I wouldn't allow my brain to object against something that I just like, without analysis (I may ask the brain, "why", but I won't always get an answer). On the other hand, I'm fine with acquired tastes, that is, learning to appreciate something with much help of thought and analysis. I try to find and use diverse ways to appreciating something.

Certain melodies speak to certain people very personally and emotionally; I don't think it's possible to find rational explanations for this (or at least I haven't found them yet). Apart from all concerns with complexity and any rational explanations, Camel were always able to come up with melodies that spoke to me directly. Other examples (from the non-prog world) are the Comsat Angels and, yes really, Nik Kershaw. It's just the magic of music, which works in very personal ways, often not communicable and incomprehensible to others.

I contributed a bit to research about music perception. From my experiences with this I can say that subjective music perception is among the least predictable and most chaotic things there is.

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: August 19 2015 at 19:14
My brain and heart go together.

If I like a band, my brain doesn't ever oppose.

-------------

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: August 19 2015 at 19:21
^ yep

if my heart isn't enjoying it...it is my head telling me I shouldn't like it

if my heart is enjoying it..  my brain is somewhere else and is sure as HELL not thinking about music...

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: August 21 2015 at 00:20
Don't let others guilt trip you into not liking what you like, whether you know them personally or not.  If you dig it, you dig it.  Both head and heart are yours, not anybody else's.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: friso
Date Posted: August 21 2015 at 02:08
I rather enjoyed the Frozen movie! Let it go, let it go!

Date Posted: August 21 2015 at 08:20
Is it wrong for me to like "Can't stop this Feeling Anymore" by REO Speedwagon--don't owe it but blast it when it comes on the radioLOL

Posted By: emigre80
Date Posted: August 21 2015 at 08:30
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Is it wrong for me to like "Can't stop this Feeling Anymore" by REO Speedwagon--don't owe it but blast it when it comes on the radioLOL

it is never wrong to like music - including the latest iteration of Yes.

Date Posted: August 21 2015 at 08:40
One example for me of my head saying no and my heart saying yes is Rhapsody of Fire. Power of the Dragonflame is just downright hilarious and everything in my mind tells me it is absolutely stupid and ridiculous but... I can't stop liking it. It's so amazing. So much insane shredding and over the top themes. My heart just goes "YES" and I can't stop listening.

Furthermore, if you've ever seen their interviews, they are actually that cheesy as people and they try to speak to the heart anyway.

"We want to inspire people with our music to reach into their own souls and find the Power of the Dragonflame that burns within their hearts" How can you not love that?

Other bands that give me this feeling:
Chvrches
Abba
Almost any european electro pop basically
Most symphonic power metal
Most straightforward brutal grind death metal
Alice in Chains, Nirvana's Nevermind (not In Utero, that actually makes my brain happy too), pretty much most 90's alternative metal
Any music that makes me want to dance that I don't like.
Most music that I hate when I'm sober but love when I'm inebriated- because that means I'm too inebriated to analyze the music.

In short, I have music analyzing problems. I can't wait to grow out of it. Or maybe grow into it MORE. Who knows?

-------------

wtf

Date Posted: August 21 2015 at 09:27
Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

Lol--that hard to like as I have standards for Yes---and a level of greatness I expect.Big smile

Posted By: emigre80
Date Posted: August 21 2015 at 11:35

Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

Lol--that hard to like as I have standards for Yes---and a level of greatness I expect.Big smile

I'm not saying you have to like them, I'm saying that there's nothing wrong with other people doing so.

Date Posted: August 30 2015 at 15:49
In my case, it's The Wildhearts.

Absolutely not my usual style of music, but the second I hear "Top of the World" or "Vanilla Radio", I forget all my inhibitions and get the air guitar out to riff like a complete maniac.

If I ever listen to the whole of "The Wildhearts Must Be Destroyed" in one go, I will have a coronary without any doubt. It may be classed as "rubbish" by some, but it's bloody good fun.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk