Forum Description: Discuss and create polls about all types of music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=103792
Printed Date: May 01 2024 at 10:11
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Music for Atheists!
Posted By: SteveG
Subject: Music for Atheists!
Date Posted: August 22 2015 at 10:17
Music for atheists or people going to hell according to your beliefs or a lack thereof. Evil Smile

Replies:
Date Posted: August 22 2015 at 10:17

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Date Posted: August 22 2015 at 10:20

-------------

Date Posted: August 22 2015 at 10:22

-------------

Date Posted: August 22 2015 at 10:27

-------------

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: August 22 2015 at 10:29
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

First one I thought of.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: August 22 2015 at 12:24
You better watch it or they'll kick you off Facebook.

LOL

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: zappaholic
Date Posted: August 22 2015 at 13:15

-------------
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken

Posted By: GKR
Date Posted: August 22 2015 at 14:07
Atheists:

-------------
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: August 22 2015 at 14:39
LOL

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: August 22 2015 at 15:07
Here's two that both denounce god/religion from different angles :

and one that infers even god has another god he reports to. Not atheism, I realize, but it's Ian Hunter day on the home stereo:

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: August 22 2015 at 15:11

-------------

Date Posted: August 22 2015 at 15:21

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: August 22 2015 at 15:25

-------------

Date Posted: August 22 2015 at 15:38
One from my hero....Roy....

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: August 22 2015 at 16:22

Steve. This is not a song about atheism, it is a piss take of AmerIcan TV evangelists, quite a different creature.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: zravkapt
Date Posted: August 22 2015 at 16:27

-------------
Magma America Great Make Again

Date Posted: August 22 2015 at 16:43

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined

Date Posted: August 22 2015 at 18:21

Music for atheists or people going to hell according to your beliefs or a lack thereof. Evil Smile

that is too funny...  we went to a funeral today and we were told we were going to hell! 

Now that was a helluva of a send off man Clap

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: August 22 2015 at 18:44
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

that is too funny...  we went to a funeral today and we were told we were going to hell! 

Yes, at one point - during the final sermon, or message, or whatever it was called - the pastor said that those who don't accept Jesus Christ as their Lord are going to hell. I think I hadn't heard anything of the sort for at least three decades (probably more). The funniest thing is one of the people who were present (and who happens to be Micky's boss) is Jewish... So much for tolerance and open-mindednessConfused.

Date Posted: August 22 2015 at 19:36
yeah..  I think Dave nearly fell out of his chair LOL  I almost started laughing out loud. That came completely from left field near the end of a completely generic funeral service.....you are going to HELL!!

The funny thing was.. a nice sweet old man.. works with the elderly.. and his wasn't even a damn Baptist.  I told you about the time the Spawn of Satan and I went looking for a church.. to do that respectability thing.. an ex-Catholic and ex-Mormon.. so we decided to go to a Southern Baptist service.

Good god almighty...  now that was some fire and brimstone..  you are going to hell kind of sh*t man.  Being the heady sinners we both were.. we ran.. not walked our asses out of that church.

-------------

Posted By: GKR
Date Posted: August 22 2015 at 19:41
Creepy.

I am lucky, no one (untill Micky in the other thread) sent me to hell. Smile

-------------
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.

Date Posted: August 22 2015 at 19:44
here we go... lest I ever be accused of thread highjacking!!

turn it up man!!

-------------

Posted By: Kati
Date Posted: August 22 2015 at 20:03

Posted By: t d wombat
Date Posted: August 22 2015 at 20:25

Neo ..... on an endless loop. Tongue  bwahaha,

-------------
Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: August 22 2015 at 21:41

-------------
What?

Posted By: zappaholic
Date Posted: August 22 2015 at 23:41
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Rock critic Chuck Eddy once described "When the Levee Breaks" as the Stairway To Hell.  It was the title of a book of his.

-------------
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken

Posted By: progresssaurus
Date Posted: August 23 2015 at 01:16
No worries. It is not so important WHAT do you listen, more important is HOW do you listen it. As atheist I can to listen for example Dies Irae, but I am not able to take it as God's warning, it is one from nice fantasy themes for ahteists, so I am son of perdition from a Christian perspective.

Good:

Better:

Best:

Posted By: infocat
Date Posted: August 23 2015 at 03:42
Wanted by RPWL is a whole album rallying against religion.
Some lyrics...

"Perfect Day"

Take me to the place
Where we are more than just believing
Take me to the place
Where the world is more than self-deceiving

Now is the time
That comes once in a lifetime
Come on and take the chance to set things right
Now is the time
To step into new life
This will be our chance to see the light

"The Attack"

We have a base in every part of the world
Wait for the sign it’s time to be heard

Did you believe we wouldn’t unmask the lie
Your concept of god vs the concept of life

Your sick morality distorts what Is true
Instead of health we find salvation of souls

Sin is the main idea to keep them in line
To single one out, condemn another to die

"New Dawn"

A new dawn of the universe
That gave a new age birth
A new story to be heard
Paradise on earth
No god who divides us all heavenly fear is gone
It’s been long long time but at last
The world is as one

And the spirits caged in minds
Too much fear that makes us blind
I call that religious
Repressing difference building walls
No tolerance at all
That’s what I call religious

A business rotten to the core
To fleece the people, take control
I call that religious

There’s nothing more than just belief
Talking advantage of your needs
That’s what I call religious

"Disbelief"

This is your god, god of love
On condition of belief, belief in lies here lies no truth,
Truth can never be your creed,
You believe what you’re allowed not for want of what you need

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Date Posted: August 24 2015 at 10:43
^ Hmm. Have you ever listened to Aqualung?

Date Posted: August 24 2015 at 10:49
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Steve. This is not a song about atheism, it is a piss take of AmerIcan TV evangelists, quite a different creature.
I'll take your word for it Steve. I can't listen to this turkey again. Pinch

Posted By: infocat
Date Posted: August 25 2015 at 00:59

^ Hmm. Have you ever listened to Aqualung?
Umm, yes of course.  Why would you think otherwise?

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: August 25 2015 at 03:38
Mmmhhh!!!.. Haven't seen many examples about atheism itself in this thread. Most of what I saw/heard is mostly attacks against religions (whiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiich is fine by me, BTWLOL)

Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Music for atheists or people going to hell according to your beliefs or a lack thereof. Evil Smile

that is too funny... we went to a funeral today and we were told we were going to hell!

Yes, at one point - during the final sermon, or message, or whatever it was called - the pastor said that those who don't accept Jesus Christ as their Lord are going to hell. I think I hadn't heard anything of the sort for at least three decades (probably more). The funniest thing is one of the people who were present (and who happens to be Micky's boss) is Jewish... So much for tolerance and open-mindednessConfused.
yeah..  I think Dave nearly fell out of his chair LOL  I almost started laughing out loud. That came completely from left field near the end of a completely generic funeral service.....you are going to HELL!!

The funny thing was.. a nice sweet old man.. works with the elderly.. and his wasn't even a damn Baptist.  I told you about the time the Spawn of Satan and I went looking for a church.. to do that respectability thing.. an ex-Catholic and ex-Mormon.. so we decided to go to a Southern Baptist service.

Good god almighty...  now that was some fire and brimstone..  you are going to hell kind of sh*t man.  Being the heady sinners we both were.. we ran.. not walked our asses out of that church.

thing is that even if atheists would be wrong, and  there would be a judgment day, they would probably get to heaven quicker than most believers, because we've led a saner life.... Like not wasting out times in churches adoring some guy that their ancestors put on cross.... bloody Censored pagans Tongue

Pretty sure that an almost totally-unlikely-possible god would actually hate all those hypocrits praying and loving him out of fear Big smileLOL

Posted By: Smurph
Date Posted: August 25 2015 at 08:57
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

thing is that even if atheists would be wrong, and  there would be a judgment day, they would probably get to heaven quicker than most believers, because we've led a saner life.... 

As one that believes in universal reconciliation this statement is really odd to me.

The only actual "evil" religious people are the ones that use their religion to control other people, to gain power, and to use it as an excuse to cause pain in others.

It's easy to dismiss people as hypocritical but often this is just how they are brainwashed and they do not know any better.

I like to think that God is way more forgiving than this.

But to be on topic, there are TONS of bands that are Anton Lavey Satanists (non-theistic Satanists), which basically amounts to self-worship.

Then, I would say that self-worship is probably the most atheistic belief.

So... Kanye West, Jay-Z, every single hip-hop artist ever that has written a song about being God, Ke$ha, Katy Perry, Beyonce, etc etc etc etc. Those that promote self-worship are probably the most atheist-type musicians to me.

-------------
http://pseudosentai.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - http://pseudosentai.bandcamp.com/

wtf

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: August 25 2015 at 09:40
I'm not sure there is music specifically designed for atheists - nor believers for that matter. Isn't music supposed to be above all that sh*te? I mean, I adore the new Algiers album that quite openly combines two very odd bedfellows in gospel and post-punk, yet I find the music incredibly inspiring and beautiful no matter what is being alluded to.
Sure there are xceptions to everything, and I hate being preached to from a piedestal, but hell man just listen to the music!
I don't get my panties in a twist whenever I hear all the hallelujas on Popol Vuh's Seligpreisung, and I don't subscribe to any religion.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: August 25 2015 at 09:42
.......but on I'll play if only to highlight the most obvious, and surprisingly unmentioned, Antichrist Superstar by Marilyn Manson

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: August 25 2015 at 09:53
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I'm not sure there is music specifically designed for atheists - nor believers for that matter. Isn't music supposed to be above all that sh*te? I mean, I adore the new Algiers album that quite openly combines two very odd bedfellows in gospel and post-punk, yet I find the music incredibly inspiring and beautiful no matter what is being alluded to.
Sure there are xceptions to everything, and I hate being preached to from a piedestal, but hell man just listen to the music!
I don't get my panties in a twist whenever I hear all the hallelujas on Popol Vuh's Seligpreisung, and I don't subscribe to any religion.

I don't think anyone who posted here got their panties in a twist David. This post is more correctly anti religion (which is the atheists watchword), and any music is certainly not above that sh*te. And never has been or ever will be.

There is also a post for theists that want equal time. Music can be democratic. It's the part about being devoid of social or political comment that I find suspect.

Date Posted: August 26 2015 at 12:19

-------------

Date Posted: August 27 2015 at 09:16
Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

The only actual "evil" religious people are the ones that use their religion to control other people, to gain power, and to use it as an excuse to cause pain in others.
It's easy to dismiss people as hypocritical but often this is just how they are brainwashed and they do not know any better.
Then, I would say that self-worship is probably the most atheistic belief.
isn't that the goal of religion, though?? To control the masses through their fears and superstitions in order to get political ascendence or the gullible believers...

I know what you're getting at.... But have those believers no brains to think for themselves?? Of course they do!! They choose to be part of the herd because there is safety in numbers

Totally disagree... I call that selfishness. Atheism is more about individualism, than putting yourself forward

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I don't think there is... Because Atheists wouldn't feel catered by it if it ever existed at all. In a way, that's the point: atheism is about nothing (IMHO, anyway)

Again IMHO, but there are no such thing as "believers" in atheism, there are only "knowers" about nothing... Believers are gullibles

BTW, I love Popol Vuh's esoteric music, and TBH, I find Carmina Burana and and a few other "religious chants" quite enthralling.

Date Posted: August 27 2015 at 11:19
Atheist (note the correct spelling of the word Tongue) music is better known as secular music, i.e. music that is not influenced by religious or spiritual matters. 

Of course there is religious music that is non-theist, and that would be of a non-god specific spiritual nature, Prog is not immune from the kind of post-hippy "child of the universe" kind of lyric that has since been associated with the New Age movement.

Except in circumstances where the lyrics of the music are overly proselytising, I would imagine that most atheists are both receptive to, and tolerant of, religious music so "Music for Atheists" would be better described as just "Music".

However, I doubt that is what Steve is looking for here (hence my earlier post of Tim Minchin's comedic anti-theist ditties - though whether any of those actually fit the requirement is debatable), but as Hugues rightly says, atheists don't have (spiritual) beliefs, nor do they slavishly believe in science as some theists would claim. Even if we cite Banco's "Darwin!", this isn't an album of atheist music since evolution as a scientific principle is supported by many religious groups.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: August 27 2015 at 12:23
Yes, Dean. I am atheist and by my opinion for me is easier to listen some music. I suppose, that for some believers must to be more problematic to listen some "music for theists", if lyrics is in conflict with something, what is most holy for him. For instance one believer worships Jesus as second person of God, for non-christian believer it can be painful blasphemy insulting God of his deep faith.

Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: August 27 2015 at 13:50

With Marshall Tito, the heroic son
not even Hell shall stop us.
We raise our foreheads, we walk boldly
and clench our fists hard.

Of an ancient kindred we are, but Goths we are not
Part of ancient Slavdom are we.
Whoever says otherwise slanders and lies,
will feel our fist.

All the fingers upon our hands, through misery and suffering
The Partisans awareness has created.
And now when we should, to the sun, to the sky,
We raise our fists high.

With Marshal Tito, the communists song from Tito's Yugoslavia

Date Posted: August 27 2015 at 14:19
Smile "With Marshall Tito, the heroic son not even Hell shall stop us" sounds similar to "And I say also unto thee, that thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it"  (In my country in communist times you can think Klement Gottwald here)

Date Posted: August 27 2015 at 14:43
I can't quote Dean because for some strange reason, I can't navigate on this thread as it's too spam heavy. Time for a trip to the PC doctor I guess, but back to the topic.

This thread was not posted for secular music, which is devoid of any spiritual or supernatural references, but actually to music that is critical of religions, dogmas and the like. Instrumental New Age music is secular. The Hangman and the Papist by Strawbs (always loved Wakeman's organ in this one) is not.

Date Posted: August 27 2015 at 14:49
Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

will feel our fist.

We raise our fists high.

Replacing Tito for God makes perfect sense. But what do you have against the Goths? Still battling over something that happened in the 5th century? Ermm

Posted By: AlanB
Date Posted: August 27 2015 at 14:54

Date Posted: August 27 2015 at 15:04

But what do you have against the Goths? Still battling over something that happened in the 5ht century? Ermm

We have nothing against Goths, converted or not converted from paganism to Arian Christianity in your atheist music thread LOL 

"Goths we are not" is information only Wink

Date Posted: August 28 2015 at 02:49
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Except in circumstances where the lyrics of the music are overly proselytising, I would imagine that most atheists are both receptive to, and tolerant of, religious music so "Music for Atheists" would be better described as just "Music".

couldn't have said it better myself, thanks Dean

Yes, though I don't listen much to gospel music (actually none at all, but I won't shy away from it either), Christian rock is a little difficult for me to accept as a valid musical "genre" (I mean this ranges from extreme metal to country-rock),  but I will shy away from it, because of its proselytism... Not that I fear for a second I would be recruited, but just because this "spread the good words" idiocy just annoys the "hell"Tongue out of me. I mean, can't religious pêople not relate to themselves and the fact that they must "believe" in something just to fill the void they feel and fear??

However, I doubt that is what Steve is looking for here (hence my earlier post of Tim Minchin's comedic anti-theist ditties - though whether any of those actually fit the requirement is debatable), but as Hugues rightly says, atheists don't have (spiritual) beliefs, nor do they slavishly believe in science as some theists would claim. Even if we cite Banco's "Darwin!", this isn't an album of atheist music since evolution as a scientific principle is supported by many religious groups.

Yup, again, as an atheist, I will claim my atheism as "Darwin & Big Bang" to give a quick description to avoid further debate with those I don't want to engage in such a subject, but I don't even "believe" in those theories (which is what they are... just like religions are theories as well).
I "know" some "facts": the universe is infinte and expanding uncontrollably, and every living animal creature has (for those who have them) two eyes, one mouth, one heart, etc... So it's quite obvious (to moi, anyway) that we come from the same cell and share most of our ADN with rhinoceros and sharks and ants.
Never needed to go to Uni to understand that, but I will still thank Charles for standing alone against all to sustain his works.

Date Posted: August 28 2015 at 03:11

This thread was not posted for secular music, which is devoid of any spiritual or supernatural references, but actually to music that is critical of religions, dogmas and the like.
That's not necessarily atheist music since religious music can (in theory) be critical of other religions and/or beliefs, however unlikely that is for fear of being tagged anti-semitic, isalmaphobic or just sectarian.  

Instrumental New Age music is secular.

Then all instrumental music would be secular, which is debatable. Music written for a spiritual purpose would not necessarily be secular, for example there are many pieces of (christian) sacred instrumental music, such as Mozart's Church Sonatas, that are non-secular. By that argument then New Age music written for spiritual ends, such as for meditation, would be non-secular.

The Hangman and the Papist by Strawbs (always loved Wakeman's organ in this one) is not.
Correct, it's about sectarianism.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: August 28 2015 at 04:06
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Yup, again, as an atheist, I will claim my atheism as "Darwin & Big Bang" to give a quick description to avoid further debate with those I don't want to engage in such a subject, but I don't even "believe" in those theories (which is what they are... just like religions are theories as well).
Ah, no. While I agree with the jist of what you are saying I will have to pull you up on the idea that scientific theories are "just like religions are theories as well": That is two different uses of the word "theories" with completely different meanings. 

Scientific theories (such as Darwin's theory of evolution or Einstein's theory of relativity) are models that work for all known data. There are three key distinctions between scientific theories and everyday theories: the first is that they are falsifiable - it is possible that new data can prove a theory to be false so that it will have to be discarded or modified to fit the new data; the second is they based upon general principles that are independent of thing being explained; and the third is that they can be used to make predictions that can be tested (i.e. through experimentation and observation).  There is no requirement to "believe in" a scientific theory since it is just a model that explains a set of data, we can use the theories to make things that work (such as using quantum theory to make transistors and other semiconductors) without having to believe in them.

In the secular word we can contrast that with the theory of music, which is a set of principles on which the practice of music is based. Music theory is not a scientific theory because music exists that "breaks the rules" so the theory does not fit all known data therefore it has been falsified in the scientific sense.

Religious beliefs are theoretical in a different sense in that they cannot be proven to be true, and so by virtue of that cannot be proven to be false (i.e. they are not falsifiable), they are also dependent upon the thing being explained (i.e., a deity or set of beliefs) and cannot be tested.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: August 28 2015 at 05:33
^^^^

the over-argumentative good old Dean is backLOLHug

But, yeah, you're right in terms of semantics Geek , I was besides my boots.

My bad!Smile

Date Posted: August 28 2015 at 06:40

This thread was not posted for secular music, which is devoid of any spiritual or supernatural references, but actually to music that is critical of religions, dogmas and the like.
That's not necessarily atheist music since religious music can (in theory) be critical of other religions and/or beliefs, however unlikely that is for fear of being tagged anti-semitic, isalmaphobic or just sectarian.  

What about music that is critical to all religions?

Can you get it as "music for atheists" (from atheists to atheists)? Or you say that such music is for all theists (potential receivers of critical message) from atheists (source of message)? Smile

Date Posted: August 28 2015 at 08:02
Originally posted by progresssaurus progresssaurus wrote:

Can you get it as "music for atheists" (from atheists to atheists)? Or you say that such music is for all theists (potential receivers of critical message) from atheists (source of message)? Smile

I'd say that to an extent, Roger Waters and Ian Anderson have a slight thing against organized religions (in general) and it pervades through their lyrics (may this be why I tend to think of them two as belonging in the top 5 rock myricists), but again, neither cater to atheists. Because most normal atheists (meaning non-extremists) wouldn't care much for an anti-religion theme album, unless the music on it would happen to be stupendous

Date Posted: August 28 2015 at 09:00
Ok LOL Can we to determine "Music for atheists" as music, which is not accetable for not a single one believer, but endurable for some atheists (no matter whether we say, that they are normal or ... )?

Date Posted: August 28 2015 at 11:45

Then all instrumental music would be secular, which is debatable. Music written for a spiritual purpose would not necessarily be secular, for example there are many pieces of (christian) sacred instrumental music, such as Mozart's Church Sonatas, that are non-secular. By that argument then New Age music written for spiritual ends, such as for meditation, would be non-secular.

The Hangman and the Papist by Strawbs (always loved Wakeman's organ in this one) is not.

This is a bit of nitpicking as New Age, specifically stated, can be used for spiritual purposes but it's not the intention of it's creator, and that goes for a majority of other instrumental music as well. In you're argument, no instrumental music can be secular and, ironically, you were the one that proposed that it was.

The Hangman and the Papist being strictly sectarianism is a stretch, as the song does reveal the inherent pitfalls that's has been the bane of religions since time began, I.E. "killing someone is God's name." Generally, one of an atheist's main criticisms of religions, if he's sincere.

Semantics does little for these points except to criticize and alter generally understood meanings and remove someone from participation in the discussion. That's why people use slang. It keeps the bookworms out of the discussions and allows people to focus on the topics without distractions, and with a vernacular thats full of terms that they are familiar with and as they generally understand them.

I belong to an atheist's group, but I don't expect the general population to understand the deeper philosophical meanings of atheism, let alone related concepts such as teleology and ontology. This thread is supposed to be for some light hearted fun. That's why it was purposely mistitled. I see no need to turn this into a dry (cough, cough) academic discussion, why do you?

Date Posted: August 28 2015 at 18:32

I belong to an atheist's group, but I don't expect the general population to understand the deeper philosophical meanings of atheism, let alone related concepts such as teleology and ontology. This thread is supposed to be for some light hearted fun. That's why it was purposely mistitled. I see no need to turn this into a dry (cough, cough) academic discussion, why do you?

From what I read in your post, your group is  typically the genre of atheist that has no ideas what atheism is about... You (the group) think it's a form or religion and has a set of beliefs and a doctrine to follow, don't you? You've probably build some sort of a dogma

It reminds me of this Californian Atheism club that set up a list of ten commandment that resembled the ones in the bible.LOL

==========================

the deeper philosophical meanings of atheism >> there is absolutely nothing philosophical about atheism, dude!!

Date Posted: August 28 2015 at 19:03

This thread is supposed to be for some light hearted fun. 

Best music for atheists is music intended seriously as music for theist Smile

Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 02:59

This thread is supposed to be for some light hearted fun. 

Best music for atheists is music intended seriously as music for theist Smile

best ultra-light and good-mooded music for atheists could be the all-too serious music intendeed to convert them into religious fanatics... garanteed to make us laugh!!! TongueLOL

Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 03:05
*sigh* earwig-o-again.

This is a bit of nitpicking as New Age, specifically stated, can be used for spiritual purposes but it's not the intention of it's creator, and that goes for a majority of other instrumental music as well. In you're argument, no instrumental music can be secular and, ironically, you were the one that proposed that it was.
In my "argument" I never said any such thing. You raised the point about Instrumental New Age music and stated that it was secular. The only prior mention I made to New Age was referring to the spiritual New Age Movement and not the music genre of the same name. In response to your claim that New Age music was secular I merely pointed out that instrumental music written for spiritual/religious ends would be non-secular. (i.e. by the intent of its creator). Of course music not specifically written for such purposes (ie secular music) that was later used in a spiritual/religious role would remain secular music.

The Hangman and the Papist being strictly sectarianism is a stretch, as the song does reveal the inherent pitfalls that's has been the bane of religions since time began, I.E. "killing someone is God's name." Generally, one of an atheist's main criticisms of religions, if he's sincere.
I never said it was strictly sectarianism, nor did I say it was sectarianism - I clearly said it was about sectarianism. The song is written about the sectarian "troubles" in Northern Ireland but it is not a sectarian song.

Semantics does little for these points except to criticize and alter generally understood meanings and remove someone from participation in the discussion. That's why people use slang. It keeps the bookworms out of the discussions and allows people to focus on the topics without distractions, and with a vernacular that's full of terms that they are familiar with and as they generally understand them.
That presupposes that a term has a generally understood meaning, and from Hugues' post from last Tuesday ("Mmmhhh!!!.. Haven't seen many examples about atheism itself in this thread. Most of what I saw/heard is mostly attacks against religions") the meaning of "Music for Atheists" was not unequivocal. Slang is not generally understood, that's kinda the point of it.

I belong to an atheist's group, but I don't expect the general population to understand the deeper philosophical meanings of atheism, let alone related concepts such as teleology and ontology.
Meh, I couldn't give a flying fart about the deeper philosophical meaning of atheism, nor teleology and ontology, (and epistemology to complete the set). If all that floats your boat then good for you, I have no wish to explore such navel gazing.

This thread is supposed to be for some light hearted fun. I see no need to turn this into a dry (cough, cough) academic discussion, why do you?
All I was searching for was clarification on what you actually meant by Music for Atheists, you answered that to my satisfaction but then went on to make two points that I didn't entirely agree with. Your subsequent misunderstanding of my reply was hardly a dry academic discussion. Tongue

-------------
What?

Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 03:41

That's a good point Jaroslav. I suspect that most anti-religion songs are written by atheists for atheists just as most religious music is written by theists for other theists. In both cases they would be an affirmation of some form or other. Even when the lyric is overtly proselytising (vernacular: 'preachy') or critical the more receptive audience would be those who already believed in the message being sent.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 13:41

*sigh* earwig-o-again.

In my "argument" I never said any such thing. You raised the point about Instrumental New Age music and stated that it was secular. The only prior mention I made to New Age was referring to the spiritual New Age Movement and not the music genre of the same name. In response to your claim that New Age music was secular I merely pointed out that instrumental music written for spiritual/religious ends would be non-secular. (i.e. by the intent of its creator). Of course music not specifically written for such purposes (ie secular music) that was later used in a spiritual/religious role would remain secular music.

I never said it was strictly sectarianism, nor did I say it was sectarianism - I clearly said it was about sectarianism. The song is written about the sectarian "troubles" in Northern Ireland but it is not a sectarian song.

Semantics does little for these points except to criticize and alter generally understood meanings and remove someone from participation in the discussion. That's why people use slang. It keeps the bookworms out of the discussions and allows people to focus on the topics without distractions, and with a vernacular that's full of terms that they are familiar with and as they generally understand them.
That presupposes that a term has a generally understood meaning, and from Hugues' post from last Tuesday ("Mmmhhh!!!.. Haven't seen many examples about atheism itself in this thread. Most of what I saw/heard is mostly attacks against religions") the meaning of "Music for Atheists" was not unequivocal. Slang is not generally understood, that's kinda the point of it.

I belong to an atheist's group, but I don't expect the general population to understand the deeper philosophical meanings of atheism, let alone related concepts such as teleology and ontology.
Meh, I couldn't give a flying fart about the deeper philosophical meaning of atheism, nor teleology and ontology, (and epistemology to complete the set). If all that floats your boat then good for you, I have no wish to explore such navel gazing.

This thread is supposed to be for some light hearted fun. I see no need to turn this into a dry (cough, cough) academic discussion, why do you?
All I was searching for was clarification on what you actually meant by Music for Atheists, you answered that to my satisfaction but then went on to make two points that I didn't entirely agree with. Your subsequent misunderstanding of my reply was hardly a dry academic discussion. Tongue
Stand by, I'm trying to find an emoticon that represents a scorching dessert to use with my response.

Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 13:47
Music for Atheists to me is perceive as moozik and lyrics not referenced to any kind of God, thus certainly not only related at all to weird cult kind of heavy metal music.

Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 13:48
The sun will expire in 4.5 billion years so you may have to conclude your search in the dark... Wink

-------------
What?

Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 13:50

The sun will expire in 4.5 billion years so you may have to conclude your search in the dark... 
I am not worried about that, but I always wondered what is behind the dark side of the moon Wink Big smile Hug

Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 13:52

The sun will expire in 4.5 billion years so you may have to conclude your search in the dark... Wink
Exactly. You're catching on. Peace out.

Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 13:56
Time to shake out the dust and sour vibes!

-------------

Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 13:58

I have to admit it took a while...

Stand by, I'm trying to find an emoticon that represents a scorching dessert to use with my response.
...since the only scorching desserts that sprung to mind would be those that were served flambé such as crepe suzzette. Tongue

-------------
What?

Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 14:02

Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 14:10
Vangelis - Cosmos (Theme from TV Series) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80Lwj_ybVno" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80Lwj_ybVno
ApproveHeartThumbs UpHug

Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 14:11
^ ClapClap Hug

-------------

Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 14:12
Good
old Roy!

-------------

Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 14:13

-------------

Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 14:14

^ ClapClap Hug
Smile Hug

Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 14:16
Carl Sagan - The Music of the Cosmos Television Series
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSZ55X3X4pk&list=PL04C0B46FB8FF54CD" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSZ55X3X4pk&list=PL04C0B46FB8FF54CD
Hug

Posted By: Windhawk
Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 14:33

The sun will expire in 4.5 billion years so you may have to conclude your search in the dark... 
I am not worried about that, but I always wondered what is behind the dark side of the moon Wink Big smile Hug

-------------
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/

Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 14:42
Originally posted by Windhawk Windhawk wrote:

lol I love the dialogue in this promo, I must watch this! ha! Tks Olav Big smile hahaha! It is very much Coen Brothers LOL
A massive big hug to you, Hug

Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 14:53

Vangelis - Cosmos (Theme from TV Series) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80Lwj_ybVno" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80Lwj_ybVno
ApproveHeartThumbs UpHug
Hmm, not sure about this one myself. The title of the Vangelis piece is 'Heaven and Hell' from his solo album of the same name. Since it is an instrumental the title is the only thing we can go by, and heaven and hell are ][edit] not atheistic concepts so by title alone I wouldn't say that it was "Music for Atheists" even though this atheist loves the track and both albums that it appears on. 

Also, while not being a theist, Carl Sagan denied being an atheist so he was what is termed (by Dawkins et al) as a strong agnostic, but that's neither here nor there. 

but Hug nevertheless as that seems to be the get-out-of-jail-free card around here at present. Tongue

-------------
What?

Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 14:58

ApproveHeartThumbs UpHug
Hmm, not sure about this one myself. The title of the Vangelis piece is 'Heaven and Hell' from his solo album of the same name. Since it is an instrumental the title is the only thing we can go by, and heaven and hell are atheistic concepts so by title alone I wouldn't say that it was "Music for Atheists" even though this atheist loves the track and both albums that it appears on. 

Also, while not being a theist, Carl Sagan denied being an atheist so he was what is termed (by Dawkins et al) as a strong agnostic, but that's neither here nor there. 

but Hug nevertheless as that seems to be the get-out-of-jail-free card around here at present. Tongue
Dean SmileHug
My reference to Atheists is the science of the big bang Wink thus what I posted makes perfect sense LOL mhwoaaahhxxxx you are still and always have been my fav grumpy Big smile hugs Hug

Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 15:01

Originally posted by Svetonio Svetonio wrote:

will feel our fist.

We raise our fists high.

Replacing Tito for God makes perfect sense. But what do you have against the Goths? Still battling over something that happened in the 5th century? Ermm
While the Goths were converted into Christianity in 4th century, the South Slavs were Christianized by force and sword, mostly by the Goths; five centuries the South Slavs resisted Christianization, and then they were Christianized, in blood, in tenth century.

Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 15:03
^So, you're still battling over something that happed in the 10th century. Got it.

Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 15:05

^So, you're still battling over something hat happed in the 10th century. Got it.
LOL

Posted By: Windhawk
Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 15:25

Originally posted by Windhawk Windhawk wrote:

lol I love the dialogue in this promo, I must watch this! ha! Tks Olav Big smile hahaha! It is very much Coen Brothers LOL
A massive big hug to you, Hug

Hmmm, makes me wonder if you've ever seen these ones. Like Iron Sky they are made in Finland.

-------------
Websites I work with:

http://www.progressor.net
http://www.houseofprog.com

My profile on Mixcloud:
https://www.mixcloud.com/haukevind/

Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 15:31

...since the only scorching desserts that sprung to mind would be those that were served flambé such as crepe suzzette. Tongue

Touché. But have you ever tried strawberries dipped in melted chocolate? Muy buen!
http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAcQjRxqFQoTCLLDlc6Qz8cCFQMmHgodVucMQw&url=http%3A%2F%2Faelida.com%2F6421%2Fdelectable-and-easy-mexican-desserts%2F&ei=1xXiVfL7FYPMeNbOs5gE&psig=AFQjCNGCgZJBD6jw1TFuq8_wil3UR0TLnA&ust=1440966454757438" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 15:45

Touché. But have you ever tried strawberries dipped in melted chocolate? Muy buen!
http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAcQjRxqFQoTCLLDlc6Qz8cCFQMmHgodVucMQw&url=http%3A%2F%2Faelida.com%2F6421%2Fdelectable-and-easy-mexican-desserts%2F&ei=1xXiVfL7FYPMeNbOs5gE&psig=AFQjCNGCgZJBD6jw1TFuq8_wil3UR0TLnA&ust=1440966454757438" rel="nofollow">
that pic is too hot for google, it should be censored! Embarrassed
LOLHug hahahaha!

Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 18:28
Ermm gah, Unhappy I love fruit dipped in molten chocolate, especially when the chocolate in question is a nice bitter 70% cocoa dark chocolate but alas judging by the froth that image looks more like a chocolate fondue made with milk, cream and most probably sugar and butter. But what do I know.LOL

On a different subject, the Big Bang is not an atheist concept, it is supported by most world religions - it is only young-earth creationist fundamentalists who reject it.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 18:36

On a different subject, the Big Bang is not an atheist concept, it is supported by most world religions - it is only young-earth creationist fundamentalists who reject it.
You mean the ones who have Abraham riding jauntily through the streets of Ur on his triceratops? Ephron the Hittite was so jealous he went forth into the wilderness and purchased a sporty dimetrodon with the colorful fin!

-------------

Posted By: LearsFool
Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 19:14
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

You mean the ones who have Abraham riding jauntily through the streets of Ur on his triceratops? Ephron the Hittite was so jealous he went forth into the wilderness and purchased a sporty dimetrodon with the colorful fin!

LOLLOL

-------------

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: August 31 2015 at 08:49
I wonder how I could have forgotten this song - one of the most hilarious I have ever heard:

Date Posted: August 31 2015 at 09:55

[/QUOTE]
that pic is too hot for google, it should be censored! Embarrassed
LOLHug hahahaha!
[/QUOTE] See, eating chocolate is better than sex! LOL

-------------

Posted By: emigre80
Date Posted: October 24 2015 at 23:38
How did this thread get to five pages without mentioning Vampire Weekend's Unbelievers?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv1Ahv2lO0I" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv1Ahv2lO0I

The first time I heard it, I thought, how nice, finally a song for atheists.

Got a little soul
The world is a cold, cold place to be
Want a little warmth
But who’s gonna save a little warmth for me?

We know the fire awaits unbelievers
All of the sinners the same
Girl, you and I will die unbelievers
Bound to the tracks of the train

If I’m born again I know that the world will disagree
Want a little grace but who’s gonna say a little grace for me?

I’m not excited, but should I be?
Is this the fate that half of the world has planned for me?

I know I love you
And you love the sea
But what holy water contains a little drop, little drop for me?

See the sun go down
It’s going on down, and the night is deep
Want a little light
But who’s gonna save a little light for me?

I know I love you
And you love the sea

I know I love you
And you love the sea

Posted By: tbonson04
Date Posted: October 29 2015 at 09:32

One of my favorite bands.. They made a concept album about the absence of a God.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk