URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=103865
Printed Date: April 19 2024 at 18:52
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 4th Round Class: Scheherazade v. Octopus
Posted By: micky
Subject: 4th Round Class: Scheherazade v. Octopus
Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 08:17
Next up... Yet another battle of two greats! LOL

In previous rounds we did song samples, great PA's reviews, with this round I wanted to do something a different. So I went outside PA's..  what do people outside of this site say about these albums.

First up...

Scheherazade and Other Stories by  Renaissance

I must admit from the outset that I had only vaguely heard of Renaissance prior to discovering Scheherazade And Other Stories while searching through the immense stack of CD’s my colleagues at Classic Rock Revisited kindly sent to me. I was intrigued that this obscure album, originally released in 1975, was being rereleased in the SACD Hybrid format. Had I somehow missed something big while attending junior high school in the progressive rock haven of northern California?

Well, the answer is an unequivocal yes; and to be honest I feel totally ripped off. I wish I had known of this group when this album was released. I would have been a devoted fan! This being the case I must write this review from the perspective of a musician hearing this group for the first time. I humbly defer to those reading this who are familiar with Renaissance and this album. You are literally decades ahead of me. 

In wonderfully pure progressive rock style Renaissance produced an album over forty-five minutes long that contains only four songs. The songs are complex, involved, highly dynamic, and richly saturated with strings and choirs. You know, all the stuff hardcore prog-heads like me find irresistible.

The three pieces referred to in the title as “and other stories” open the album. These can at times be a little too early seventies sounding - and that’s not easy! There are moments when I curiously feel the need to look down to make sure my bellbottoms are not getting caught in the front sprocket of my ten-speed (I hated when that happened!). But they are still beautiful songs. My favorite of the three is “Trip To The Fair”. It features a thoroughly badass classical piano introduction that is eventually accompanied by intense vocal, percussive, bass and guitar support. Nice way to open an album, guys; you have my attention! 

“Song Of Scheherazade” is the true masterwork of this collection. It follows the format of a symphonic composition. This piece has it all. It is filled with overtones of early Genesis and Rick Wakeman to go along with an occasional Grace Slick with a touch of Loreena McKennitt added in (decades before she hit the scene). All of this is being presented while accompanied by the London Symphony Orchestra. Yeah … an actual orchestra! How’s that for a crazy concoction! “Song Of Scheherazade” is twenty-five minutes of brilliance. It’s a progressive magic carpet that takes you on an amazing ride as captivating as the namesake’s tales. This is a journey of intense orchestration along with moments of solid rock rhythms, acoustic guitars, and powerful symphonic rock interactions. It’s great stuff!

Thank you, Audio Fidelity, for resurrecting this album. I now have powerful new additions to my progressive rock playlist.

and in the opposite corner

Octopus by Gentle Giant

In progressive rock’s dusty ol’ 1970s yearbook, bands like http://ultimateclassicrock.com/tags/yes/" rel="nofollow - Yes and http://ultimateclassicrock.com/tags/genesis/" rel="nofollow - Genesis were Most Likely To Succeed. Gentle Giant, on the other hand, were the brilliant and slightly awkward Class Clowns. And they were never as awkward or brilliant as they were on their 1972 masterstroke, ‘Octopus,’ which turns 40 this week.

In the liner notes to the album’s 2011 reissue, multi-instrumentalist Phil Shulman stated, “The eight pieces (on the album) were originally intended as musical portraits of the band and roadies but found their own identity in the making. The title came from Bobbi, my wife, who recognized eight pieces with very different arms as a fair reflection of the band then.” Indeed, ‘Octopus’ is an absolutely perfect title for an album that branches off in so many strange, thrilling directions: No bones about it, ‘Octopus’ is one of the most complex and technically dazzling in the history of progressive rock.

This music is so dense, so challenging, so utterly bizarre (and was so, even during the band’s ’70s heyday) that it’s often overlooked, even by prog obsessives. It takes a special kind of listener to digest a song like ‘Knots,’ a dizzying whirlwind of overlapping, madrigal-tinged vocal harmonies, discordant glockenspiel, and jaunty piano breaks. But for the dedicated, open-minded (and, let’s face it, weird) listener, it’s transcendent, totally unique music that sounds like no other band on the planet.

On ‘Octopus’ (which peaked at an un-stellar but unsurprising 170 on the US Billboard charts), Gentle Giant use their varied instrumentation — guitars, keyboards, bass, drums, assorted percussion, saxophones, violins, loads of vocal harmonies — like bold paints on an abstract canvas, using odd juxtapositions to push listeners out of their comfort zones. But these songs are also fun: ‘The Advent of Panurge’ and ‘A Cry for Everyone,’ for all their shifting structures and busy time changes, are built on Derek Shulman’s muscular vocals and Gary Green’s tight guitar riffs. Even at their most complicated, Gentle Giant never skimp on hooks or energy.

“I remember that we felt pretty confident going in to make this album,’ Green states in the reissue liner notes. ‘We had a good bunch of tunes and our studio chops (particularly Ray’s) were getting better with each record. We continued our experimentation with instrument combinations, sounds, and effects, bouncing ideas back and forth with engineer Martin Rushent, who fell right in step with our brand of madness.” Madness indeed, but a particularly inspired brand. Forty years later, ‘Octopus’ is as off-putting and powerful as it’s ever been.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Replies:
Posted By: Disparate Times
Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 08:25
This should be the final I don't want either to go, probably the 2nd best renaissance album against the 5th best gg album i gotta go with gg

Posted By: zravkapt
Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 08:27
Renaissance can take a trip to the Renaissance Fair and get lost.

Voted OctopusThumbs Up

-------------
Magma America Great Make Again

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 08:37
The reviews sum it up.  Bit tough to use the word challenging for Ren.  Unless GG was really a band made for you and you alone, you are likely to find Octopus a bit of a grapple initially.  GG stretches you out of your comfort zones and expands your view of what is possible in music.  Annie Haslam does that vocally in sense of delivering a purer tone than you thought was possible but the band's music as such, not really.   Octopus all the way.

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 08:39
Octopus. Far from my favourite GG album, but it gets the nod here pretty easily.

-------------

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 09:13
Wow I love both of these albums, tough call....have to go with my favorite Giant album

-------------

Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 09:41
^ really Jim??

you cat hates RPI??? LOLLOL  That sounds like a story to be told..

for me.. favorite Renaissance album against 4th fav GG (behind the first 3)

Renaissance for Micky!

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 09:55
^ It is true and pretty damn funny.  When I have the house to myself and throw on an album a bit louder, one of our cats get noticeably crabby and annoyed.  She does not like music, whistling, or singing.  But RPI seems to upset her the most.  She will protest for a few minutes and then disappear to the bedroom and bury herself under the comforter.  If I start whistling she will come from wherever she is and jump into my lap, daring me to continue.  If I do, she will bat at me with her paw. We get a lot of laughs out of that cat. 

-------------

Posted By: Pastmaster
Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 09:57
GG

Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 09:58
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

^ It is true and pretty damn funny.  When I have the house to myself and throw on an album a bit louder, one of our cats get noticeably crabby and annoyed.  She does not like music, whistling, or singing.  But RPI seems to upset her the most.  She will protest for a few minutes and then disappear to the bedroom and bury herself under the comforter.  If I start whistling she will come from wherever she is and jump into my lap, daring me to continue.  If I do, she will bat at me with her paw. We get a lot of laughs out of that cat. 

hahahah.. awesome!!! Clap  Cats are the greatest aren't they. So full of personality and character. Heart

-------------

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 10:07
Octopus easily

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: The-time-is-now
Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 10:12
Scheherazade and Other Stories.

-------------

One of my best achievements in life was to find this picture :D

Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 10:16
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

hahahah.. awesome!!! Clap  Cats are the greatest aren't they. So full of personality and character. Heart

They are.  I used to be a dog person most of my life.  Don't know what I was thinking.  Cats rule. 

-------------

Posted By: O666
Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 10:52
Gentle Octopus . 

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 11:25

They are.  I used to be a dog person most of my life.  Don't know what I was thinking.  Cats rule. 

I lost my cat at 22 this year.  I miss him a lot, and am not quite ready to get another

and...Renaissance for me, no contest, and it's not nearly my favorite by them

Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 11:33
So sorry Ken.  It is godawful to lose a feline.  I cried like a baby last time I did.  How cool that you had him/her for over two decades, that is a good life!

-------------

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 12:57
Sheherezade it is, never cared for GG and I love Renaissance

-------------

Posted By: sublime220
Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 13:58
Best album of all time.

-------------
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...

Posted By: Olape
Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 15:47
Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

Octopus. Far from my favourite GG album, but it gets the nod here pretty easily.

This! GG +1

-------------

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 16:59
Renaissance.

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Posted By: akaBona
Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 18:48
Octopus, my favourite GG album ...

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 19:38
Octopus over Scheherazade by a smidge.

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 20:09
Gentle Giant triggers my migraines.

Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 20:45

So sorry Ken.  It is godawful to lose a feline.  I cried like a baby last time I did.  How cool that you had him/her for over two decades, that is a good life!

Thanks Jim!  Yes there is solace in that - I had Tui just one month shy of 20 years.  He was an amazing cat.  
His favorite piece - probably Steeleye Span doing "Saucy Sailor/Black Freighter"  Tongue
on topic, favorite Renaissance song was "On the Frontier".  He loved female and male voices intermingled.  He found Gentle Giant rather abrasive

Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 21:14
^ Oh what a magnificent creature!  Beautiful cat and much character in that face.  Thanks for posting a pic KenSmile

-------------

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 21:51
Wonderful looking cat;  my very deep condolences, Ken, my tabby died two years ago and I still miss him a whole lot.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 22:15
thanks for the comments guys.  Nothing like cat people, other than cats themselves of course Smile

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 22:51
Renaissance it is for me. It's not perfect, but the great parts are really great. For me the best GG are the first 2 albums, and then they started getting gradually more un-melodious to my taste... Octopus was the last album I got from them... it's still got some parts that I like, but not nearly as much as the ones from Scheherazade.

Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 23:28
Getting harder and harder ... and I don't mean my penis.

Octopus

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Date Posted: August 30 2015 at 00:27
Funny, the one time I don't vote for Renaissance, they hold up pretty well against one of the biggies. Thought this was going to be a rout.  I was wrong.

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: August 30 2015 at 00:41
Like both but I'll vote Scheherazade.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: August 30 2015 at 01:06
Octopus

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: August 30 2015 at 06:39
Renaissance for me.

Posted By: fudgenuts64
Date Posted: August 30 2015 at 08:02
Renaissance.

-------------

Date Posted: August 30 2015 at 08:07
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Thanks Jim!  Yes there is solace in that - I had Tui just one month shy of 20 years.  He was an amazing cat.  
His favorite piece - probably Steeleye Span doing "Saucy Sailor/Black Freighter"  Tongue
on topic, favorite Renaissance song was "On the Frontier".  He loved female and male voices intermingled.  He found Gentle Giant rather abrasive

Broken HeartCry

wonderful picture Ken. that is a face of feline character and knowing who is really the boss of the house LOL

-------------

Posted By: GKR
Date Posted: August 30 2015 at 08:56
Octopus to me, although the love I have for Annie Haslam voice in this particular album.

-------------
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: August 30 2015 at 10:53
My fourth favorite album by GG beats my fourth favorite by Renaissance with atleast a star.

-------------

Date Posted: August 30 2015 at 15:54

Broken HeartCry

wonderful picture Ken. that is a face of feline character and knowing who is really the boss of the house LOL

thanks Micky
he was always the boss no matter whom he lived with, and he did it by being his naturally social, occasionally demanding, self.
His last few years were with just me, and he seemed to like that just fine

Posted By: Junges
Date Posted: August 30 2015 at 18:39
I love both, but I will go with Renaissance.

-------------

Posted By: Imperial Zeppelin
Date Posted: August 30 2015 at 19:05
Rena Sanse

-------------
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."

Posted By: dr prog
Date Posted: August 30 2015 at 22:37
Scheherazade for me. Octopus has some of GG's weakest songs of the 70-75 period although it has 3 or 4 strong tracks also

-------------
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.

Posted By: Komandant Shamal
Date Posted: August 31 2015 at 00:23
i voted for "Scheherazade and Other Stories".

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: August 31 2015 at 05:40
Go Renaissance.

Date Posted: August 31 2015 at 06:53
Godspeed You! Gentle Giant

-------------

Date Posted: August 31 2015 at 08:41
wow Renaissance closing the gap!

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: August 31 2015 at 10:29
Octopus for me for sure

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: August 31 2015 at 12:34
This is one of the hardest in this round of polls...
Okay, Octopus, but only by the length of a... sucker... you know, on the arms of the octopus

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: August 31 2015 at 21:58
GG

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: AEProgman
Date Posted: September 02 2015 at 08:49
Always struggled with som of GGs stuff, but still like them.  Went with Renaissance instead.

-------------

Posted By: Prog Sothoth
Date Posted: September 02 2015 at 08:54
Scheherazade gets the vote, a name that would eventually move on to represent a cool Japanese prog rock band in which its members would then move on to even cooler Japanese prog rock bands.

Funny enough though, the band Scheherazade seems to sound a lot more influenced by GG than Renaissance. 
Such a crazy world...

Posted By: t d wombat
Date Posted: September 02 2015 at 19:32
So many people speak fondly of GG but I'm afraid I simply do not get it. Its not awful, indeed well played no doubt but another highly respected mob who have simply never wormed their way into my heart.

Renaissance on the other hand are obviously a whole lot easier to listen to than GG and seemingly just as competent. I confess that I find them a wee bit trite, too much hippy dippy for me to really love them but like yes definitely.

Looks as if the Giant is gaining the upper hand though. I should really give them both another good listening too before voting but .... not now ... Hybris hasn't finished yet. Big smile

-------------
Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: September 02 2015 at 21:10
Originally posted by t d wombat t d wombat wrote:

So many people speak fondly of GG but I'm afraid I simply do not get it. Its not awful, indeed well played no doubt but another highly respected mob who have simply never wormed their way into my heart.

Renaissance on the other hand are obviously a whole lot easier to listen to than GG and seemingly just as competent. I confess that I find them a wee bit trite, too much hippy dippy for me to really love them but like yes definitely.

Looks as if the Giant is gaining the upper hand though. I should really give them both another good listening too before voting but .... not now ... Hybris hasn't finished yet. Big smile

Which albums have you heard from GG? I almost gave up on them with my first album, which was the Live "Playing the Fool". It was almost noise to my ears... or simply I didn't find any enjoyable melodies. Actually, I still don't particularly like it, and since I had heard The Power and the Glory on Youtube and didn't really like it much either, I thought I wouldn't bother more. But there was the song Strange Ways, which I did love, plus I had also heard Octopus on Youtube, and that one was OK, as much as you can take in with one such listen. So, somehow I ended up giving them another chance (some recomendations in the forum helped me make up my mind) and got their fist 4 studio albums, the ones that still had Phil... and well, Octopus was better than Playing the Fool, certainly, but the ones that I really got to love were their first 2 albums. They were much warmer and with more beautiful melodies to make contrast to their noisy weirdness... with 3 Friends they started to go into the more noise less melody mode, though.

Date Posted: September 03 2015 at 03:32
OK, I'll give Acquiring and three Friends a go. It is many years past but I know I did have GG on vinyl and it didn't do a great deal for me. We shall see but thanks for the suggestion. I think with many bands you need to find the one album that clicks and go on from there.

-------------
Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx

Posted By: David64T
Date Posted: September 03 2015 at 07:19
Octopus is a great album, probably my favorite album from GG. I'm listening again to it now and loving it.

But Scheherazade has that epic, epic sidelong title track that grabs me, regardless of what the rest of the album is like - rather like Echoes from Meddle, or 2112...

So I've just temporarily reduced the minimal lead GG currently has...

Smile

And my cat has just left the room - she does not seem to like the screeching strings and shouty sounds of GG doing Troubador...

-------------
Seasons Of Change - weekly programme on community radio: https://seasonsofchangeradio.blogspot.com.au/" rel="nofollow - http://seasonsofchangeradio.blogspot.com.au/

Date Posted: September 03 2015 at 09:32

I would not rate Ren as equally competent as Gentle Giant.  Just about every member of GG was a multi instrumentalist and in concert could drop one instrument and pick up another, just like that. Also, their improvs, variations all reflected a lot of imagination which I have usually found somewhat lacking in Renaissance.  I would rate Minnear, Ray Shulman and John Weathers higher than Tout, Camp and Sullivan respectively.  Derek Shulman is not a great singer to say the least but then vocals aren't that important in prog rock and especially not in GG.  But they are a far more polarizing band than Renaissance, that I give. 

Date Posted: September 03 2015 at 14:51

OK, I'll give Acquiring and three Friends a go. It is many years past but I know I did have GG on vinyl and it didn't do a great deal for me. We shall see but thanks for the suggestion. I think with many bands you need to find the one album that clicks and go on from there.

those are the two IMO that if you are going to enjoy the band.. that will grab you. They have more emotional depth, more atmosphere, in those that the whole lot of the rest of their albums have combined. They just don't impress with abiity..  they can be quite touching.  That kind of thing works for Fusion..lack of anything outside of technical displays of ability I suppose.. but for the most part GG impresses the head. but fails to really impact the soul..outside of those two albums

-------------

Date Posted: September 03 2015 at 17:49

those are the two IMO that if you are going to enjoy the band.. that will grab you. They have more emotional depth, more atmosphere, in those that the whole lot of the rest of their albums have combined. They just don't impress with abiity..  they can be quite touching.  That kind of thing works for Fusion..lack of anything outside of technical displays of ability I suppose.. but for the most part GG impresses the head. but fails to really impact the soul..outside of those two albums

Nailed it I reckon. Fusion , it seems to me, is the land of all head no heart . GG meanwhile are loitering with intent, waiting for the opportunity to sneak across the border. They are/were talented no doubt about it and even I can appreciate that there is depth to what they do.

-------------
Andrew B

Date Posted: September 03 2015 at 18:02
Strange, I find Octopus to be their warmest and most listenable recording. Great melodies and interesting ideas and sounds.  Without trying too hard to be complicated like their more prog-cred albums.

-------------

Date Posted: September 03 2015 at 18:02
I think you'll enjoy those two albums Tongue

-------------

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: September 03 2015 at 18:24

Scheherazade by God!

Date Posted: September 03 2015 at 18:35
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Scheherazade by Goddess!

Wink

-------------

Date Posted: September 03 2015 at 18:39
http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAcQjRxqFQoTCPmuw5yE3McCFYyXHgod118EUQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D0PwOUdOnrfg&psig=AFQjCNHxdicGALohJkWW6E2TW16mBT2RlQ&ust=1441409822489463" rel="nofollow">
Absolutely! Heart

Posted By: SaltyJon
Date Posted: September 03 2015 at 18:40
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

Renaissance can take a trip to the Renaissance Fair and get lost.

Voted OctopusThumbs Up

This.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Salty_Jon" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: September 03 2015 at 19:01

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAcQjRxqFQoTCPmuw5yE3McCFYyXHgod118EUQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D0PwOUdOnrfg&psig=AFQjCNHxdicGALohJkWW6E2TW16mBT2RlQ&ust=1441409822489463" rel="nofollow">
Absolutely! Heart

shame she didn't have a bit of Gracie in her LOL  That is why I was always more of a Sonja Kristina guy.. not half the voice of Annie.. but the voice of one you could tell would take you.. and probably everyone in the band to the moon and back LOL

-------------

Date Posted: September 03 2015 at 19:05
^What, Annie could also sing? No way! LOL Yeah, Grace was awesome too! But I was always afraid of girls that could drink me under the table! Embarrassed

Date Posted: September 03 2015 at 19:17

But I was always afraid of girls that could drink me under the table! Embarrassed

That would have been Janis. LOL. I would have loved to have tried to match her drink for drink. Out of all of them..those stable of classic women rock stars... Janis was the queen. Heart

-------------

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: September 03 2015 at 20:01
Renaissance, of course. Smile

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Date Posted: September 04 2015 at 06:44

the power of Annie compels you.... the power of Annie compels you...

-------------

Date Posted: September 04 2015 at 06:56
Heart

Date Posted: September 04 2015 at 07:01
You bet it does. If it were some other album like say Selling England, I might have been tempted to change my vote. But just out of the root-for-the-underdog spirit, I am going to post a more potent photograph from Renaissance Fanfare. Struck by beauty gripped in fright, Rael will helplessly succumb to Renaissance.

Date Posted: September 04 2015 at 08:11
True to my word, here it is:

Date Posted: September 04 2015 at 08:52
^She has great feet.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Date Posted: September 04 2015 at 09:22
Supposedly a highlight of her gigs, or at least so I have heard.  I mean her bare feet.

Date Posted: September 04 2015 at 16:33

Strange, I find Octopus to be their warmest and most listenable recording. Great melodies and interesting ideas and sounds.  Without trying too hard to be complicated like their more prog-cred albums.
Yes I don't get this reservation towards their earliest stuff. If it was Free Hand I'd understand (although I like it). I think their first quartet of albums has plenty of warmth, heart and playfulness. More than most prog really. Think Of Me With Kindness is nothing but a big loving heart.

-------------

Date Posted: September 04 2015 at 22:35
^^^  Me neither.  Octopus through to Free Hand is my favourite GG period.  I never found GG to be the kind of band that could really touch my heart the way say KC could with Fallen Angel.  On the other hand, their stuff has a (probably inadvertent) goofiness and playfulness that probably none of the other big prog rock bands quite have to the same extent.  I thought this playfulness was accentuated in the Octopus and onwards phase as the music got tighter at this point.  Regardless, I love Acquiring the Taste a lot too.  GG were one of the most consistent prog rock bands until...well, their sound changed. 

Date Posted: September 05 2015 at 01:17
^I agree with all that. King Crimson is dark and existential art while Gentle Giant are often touching in their wondrous playfulness but they never had the profound impact on me that the former band has. The chosen band names says it all really. They were aiming for different things.    

-------------

Date Posted: September 05 2015 at 01:20
^ love the harp-playing coon

-------------

Date Posted: September 05 2015 at 01:23
^a virtuoso no doubt.

-------------

Date Posted: September 05 2015 at 01:47
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

^^^  Me neither.  Octopus through to Free Hand is my favourite GG period.  I never found GG to be the kind of band that could really touch my heart the way say KC could with Fallen Angel.  On the other hand, their stuff has a (probably inadvertent) goofiness and playfulness that probably none of the other big prog rock bands quite have to the same extent.  I thought this playfulness was accentuated in the Octopus and onwards phase as the music got tighter at this point.  Regardless, I love Acquiring the Taste a lot too.  GG were one of the most consistent prog rock bands until...well, their sound changed. 

I've been listening to ATT and yes, I do find it more enjoyable than their later stuff. I doubt I'd ever go overboard about it but it is certainly pleasant and well executed. To be fair, had I got into it back in the day I'd probably have a bit more affection for it.

-------------
Andrew B

Posted By: Rando
Date Posted: September 07 2015 at 12:23

Next up... Yet another battle of two greats! LOL

In previous rounds we did song samples, great PA's reviews, with this round I wanted to do something a different. So I went outside PA's..  what do people outside of this site say about these albums.

All kinds of fond memories spin when I think of these two albums; well, one in particular-
It was 1973 and I had just moved to San Francisco on my own as a very young music student-(I refused to wear bell-bottoms, and no I didn't have shoulder length wavy hair with a beard!)

But I remember visiting a friend in his tiny Victorian flat with no furniture but a small twin bed surrounded by a scatter of albums on the floor and there on top of some albums was this funny shaped album, Octopus! My friend hadn't even heard it yet and only bought it because of it's cover-So I put the record on his old Dual turntable with these dusty Pioneer speakers and the moment I heard The Advent of Panurge is all it took! My friend hated it, and he handed me the album to take it!

Maybe it's because of these sentimental reasons, but Octopus has always been my favorite Gentle Giant album, but also because it was early GG at their best with almost every instrument in an orchestra including krumhorns! To me all of their following albums were just a repetition of this album.

A few years later I bought Scheherazade and threw it in my recycle box of albums to sell or trade! Boring and pretentious! Maybe it's because I already had Gentle Giant & Genesis...

Smile

-------------
- Music is Life, that's why our hearts have beats -

Posted By: symphonicman
Date Posted: September 07 2015 at 17:30

Renaissance, Scheherazade and Other Stories.

-------------
Master James of St. George.
Of the fields and the sky.
He used to build castles of stone, steel, and blood.
But lines get broken down.

Date Posted: September 07 2015 at 20:01
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

True to my word, here it is:

yes!!   Annie's feet are divine!! LOL

-------------

Date Posted: September 09 2015 at 15:19
how much longer uis the poll open?  Does Renaissance still have a chance?

Date Posted: September 09 2015 at 15:49
^ It's open until next Saturday, I think.

Date Posted: September 09 2015 at 17:27
Mighty close, I reckon.

-------------

Date Posted: September 09 2015 at 17:55

how much longer uis the poll open?  Does Renaissance still have a chance?

closes Saturday morning! Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: September 10 2015 at 14:03
bah....

-------------

Posted By: TGM: Orb
Date Posted: September 11 2015 at 05:19
Relistens - Octopus:

I've heard Octopus before but not paid it that much attention despite being a Giant fan. On this occasion, however, the sheer quality of the songs themselves has got me entranced. Think On Me With Kindness is a really powerful ballad and Minnear's vocal is beautiful. Knots is probably the best lyrical counterpart for the Giant harmonies I've yet heard. That the musicianship and counterpoint is stupendous is something I've just come to expect from Gentle Giant but the lyrics, vocals and songwriting here are astonishing. Many stars. Many plaudits.

Posted By: TGM: Orb
Date Posted: September 11 2015 at 05:47
Relistens - Scheherazade:

The album starts *really* strongly with probably the albums best long piece (the menacing A Trip To The Fair) and one of my all time favourite prog pop songs (other candidates include the superb La Tua Casa Commoda from Il Balletto Di Bronzo). Annie Haslam has one hell of a voice, occasionally is a bit crass but I think those lyrics would be difficult to work with. The remaining approximately 2/3 of the album is occasionally more style over substance but beautifully executed. Great rhythm section.

Verdict:

A younger TGMO would've gone for Renaissance every time but it's a rare thing that really hammers through my apathy these days. Octopus it is.

Date Posted: September 11 2015 at 16:37
TGM ... while I gave Renaissance my vote I'm not not completely convinced. Personally I wonder if multi octave voices are as much a hindrance as a help. Like some guitarists with amazing dexterity the gift is far too often overused. One of my favourite lines "just because you can doesn't mean you should".

I didn't get the Giant back in the day but am slowly coming around, at least to their early stuff. Otoh, while I like a lot of what Renaissance does instrumentally I do cringe at some of those lyrics. Then again if we are talking cringe factor, I reckon Stairway to bleedin' 'eaven should be taken out and shot, so what would I know. Big smile

-------------
Andrew B

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: September 11 2015 at 16:40
Hard choice between two great albums, but Octopus has the edge due to its higher progressive quotient.

Date Posted: September 12 2015 at 01:48

TGM ... while I gave Renaissance my vote I'm not not completely convinced. Personally I wonder if multi octave voices are as much a hindrance as a help. Like some guitarists with amazing dexterity the gift is far too often overused. One of my favourite lines "just because you can doesn't mean you should".

I didn't get the Giant back in the day but am slowly coming around, at least to their early stuff. Otoh, while I like a lot of what Renaissance does instrumentally I do cringe at some of those lyrics. Then again if we are talking cringe factor, I reckon Stairway to bleedin' 'eaven should be taken out and shot, so what would I know. Big smile

Actually for a singer of her range, power and control, Annie has quite incredible restraint, something which becomes obvious on comparison to Kate Bush who often gets into singing styles that don't quite come off well even if the concept may be bold.  Unfortunately, the music often seems to struggle to keep pace with her, but it would be a lot more boring without Annie breathing life into the songs.  

This is a decent enough cover of Ocean Gypsy but you can see the singing lacks the fine nuances that Annie is able to bring out even in a straight up folk ballad:

Posted By: progrockdeepcuts
Date Posted: September 12 2015 at 09:51
Both great. Voted the mighty Giant

-------------

Listen to older shows here: mixcloud.com/progrockdeepcuts/

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: March 17 2018 at 19:10
Octopus.

Great poll!

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: March 18 2018 at 00:09
Scheherazade.

Posted By: I prophesy disaster
Date Posted: March 18 2018 at 03:32

I think this poll will divide the forum into those who like CHARM and those who like STRANGE.

-------------
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: March 18 2018 at 04:05
I really like Strange, but I don´t like GG.

Posted By: Argos
Date Posted: March 18 2018 at 04:22
I love both, but Scheherazade takes the cake this time.

Date Posted: March 18 2018 at 05:59
bah.....

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk