Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=103872
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 15:51
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 4th Round Moderns: Perils v. Jean Louis
Posted By: micky
Subject: 4th Round Moderns: Perils v. Jean Louis
Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 08:58
Next up... a battle of two greats! In previous rounds we did song samples, great PA's reviews, with this round I wanted to do something a different. So I went outside PA's..  what do people outside of this site say about these albums.

first up.. still the greatest band name in the tournament.. perhaps in all music LOL

Perils by Miasma & the Carousel of Headless Horses

There's something magical about an instrumental band. Something so utterly poignant about having absolutely no vocals and no lyrics attached to the meaning your music gets across. Instrumental bands are perfectly content letting their music speak for itself. Sometimes, the listener can get more from a few stringed instruments and a drum than they can get from overly-philosophical lyrical content. Miasma and the Carousel of Countless Horses is one of these instrumental bands. They manage to weave creepy tales, horrific stories, and haunting reflections without saying anything verbally. Everything is in the music.

While it's hard not to compare them to other bands on their label, Web of Mimicry, such as Sleepytime Gorilla Museum or Secret Chiefs 3, it's also strangely difficult to not mention Tom Waits in the same breath. Perhaps what's most boggling is that only one of the groups mentioned is even minorly all-instrumental (SC3), yet the comparisons are so painfully apparent. Mix those groups in, take out any vocals, and add a heavy dose of Trevor Dunn's Trio Convulsant and you will get very close to what Miasma and the Carousel of Headless Horses brings to the musical palate. Thankfully, they aren't just an amalgamation of a few groups and their music is as intense, intricate, and insidious as it is delightful.

Perils is truly a splendid release, one of wonder and majesty, of fun and ecstasy. It is a jubilant, upbeat record, which seems to go against everything that was said in the last sentence of the first paragraph of this review. As much as that is true, it is also true that both of these things, although polar opposites, are absolutely true. And not because they take turns. Miasma is all of these things, all at once.

If you can't resist pounded keys, violins, and vague discord, Miasma and the Carousel of Headless Horses is right up your alley. Ichabod Crane never had it so good.

and against them we have..

Jean Louis by Jean Louis LOL

ean Louis offer up an avant-fusion sound which draws deeply from avant-prog and Rock In Opposition to offer a decidedly unusual sound. Imagine one of Miles Davis' fusion-era lineups attempting to cover Larks' Tongues-era King Crimson, the harsher side of Magma, or Western Culture-era Henry Cow and you perhaps come close to what's going on here. Even that description doesn't quite sum up the diverse sound of the group; whilst they spend the majority of their time with at least one foot in the wildest frontiers of jazz territory, in some passages they seem to leave jazz behind entirely, yet at the same time they do a good job of integrating all the different sounds they call on into a cohesive whole.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Replies:
Posted By: zravkapt
Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 09:17
I'll have to listen to both again.

-------------
Magma America Great Make Again

Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 09:19
this is one of most interesting, to me personally, of all the 4th round matches...

definitely some refresher listens to two of my absolute favorite discoveries of the tournament.. happy to see both make it this far.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 17:08
Error here, but another vote for Perils.

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: August 30 2015 at 07:24
Enjoyed Perils a lot, but still haven't heard Jean Louis, so no vote.

-------------

Date Posted: August 30 2015 at 07:55
^ it available via youtube to listen to in full.

Sitting on this one as well

-------------

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: August 30 2015 at 08:34
Holding my vote until I can give both a full listen

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Date Posted: August 30 2015 at 11:11
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

It is? Couldn't find it when I searched for it before.

-------------

Date Posted: August 30 2015 at 13:16
not in full perhaps.. you sort of had to piece it together LOL

-------------

Posted By: Imperial Zeppelin
Date Posted: August 30 2015 at 13:22
Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

It is? Couldn't find it when I searched for it before.
Youtube? It's on bananacamp, mate  http://jeanlouis.bandcamp.com/album/jean-louis" rel="nofollow - https://jeanlouis.bandcamp.com/album/jean-louis

-------------
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."

Date Posted: August 30 2015 at 13:24
well there you go!! No excuses now not to vote haha

-------------

Date Posted: August 30 2015 at 13:54
^^ Thanks, guys. Thumbs Up I'll give it a listen one of these days then. And I guess I need to give Perils another listen, too, so I'll get back to this thread when I have.

-------------

Date Posted: August 30 2015 at 13:57
these polls are going to be open for two weeks, we are off to Progday next weekend so rather than try closing them from a hotel somewhere when trying to get out the door to the show I'm letting them run two weeks. It is a holiday weekend here as well, likely to be few of us Americans around the site next weekend besides.

-------------

Date Posted: August 30 2015 at 14:02
Yeah, I noticed these polls were going to be open for two weeks instead of the usual one. I'll give these, as well as Ys and Hot Rats that I also need to revisit, a listen when I'm done with my Reine Fiske/Elephant9 marathon for their upcoming concert on Thursday.

-------------

Date Posted: August 30 2015 at 14:10
lucky you man...  at least I get Ut Gret with Cheyenne Saturday.. Heart I'll be in 7th heaven..

-------------

Posted By: zravkapt
Date Posted: August 30 2015 at 14:27
So, Perils just edges out JL here for me.

-------------
Magma America Great Make Again

Posted By: TheGazzardian
Date Posted: August 30 2015 at 15:16
Actually not that huge on Perils, JL is much better imo...

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: August 31 2015 at 21:53
Perils

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: August 31 2015 at 22:04
2 good ones, Perils

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: September 01 2015 at 01:34
Originally posted by TheGazzardian TheGazzardian wrote:

Actually not that huge on Perils, JL is much better imo...
Same here

-------------

Date Posted: September 01 2015 at 18:26
Perils didn't do much for me this time around. Jean Louis, however, impressed me, big time! I especially enjoyed the parts where it turned almost zeuhl, on "Zakir" and "Tranche". Almost enough to get the vote in and of themselves. Wow! Clap

-------------

Posted By: t d wombat
Date Posted: September 01 2015 at 19:08

these polls are going to be open for two weeks, we are off to Progday next weekend so rather than try closing them from a hotel somewhere when trying to get out the door to the show I'm letting them run two weeks. It is a holiday weekend here as well, likely to be few of us Americans around the site next weekend besides.

Spendid. Father's Day down here on Sunday which means a visit to the ancestral home this weekend. Want to give all of these due attention so I'll certainly appreciate the extra week.

Maybe given time I can learn to enjoy as well as appreciate the obvious musical talent of Jean Louis. Right now I merely appreciate the talent. To some extent the same goes for Perils but it is at least somewhat more accessible than JL.

I'm still stunned by the popularity of JL. In a world where Voyage of the Acolyte is hailed as a masterpiece JL also rates its socks off. That says something, it really does .... I'm just not sure what. LOL

-------------
Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx

Posted By: twseel
Date Posted: September 02 2015 at 10:39
Perils is good for what it is but it's no JLou

-------------

Posted By: LearsFool
Date Posted: September 02 2015 at 17:37
Jean Louis

-------------

Posted By: Evolutionary Sleeper
Date Posted: September 02 2015 at 18:54
Jean Louis of course, I'm the one who got them popular around these parts after all. Wink Perils is no slouch though, really incredible album.

-------------

Posted By: symphonicman
Date Posted: September 07 2015 at 16:14
Miasma and the Carousel of Headless Horses, Perils.

-------------
Master James of St. George.
Of the fields and the sky.
He used to build castles of stone, steel, and blood.
But lines get broken down.

Date Posted: September 10 2015 at 14:14
make not make a difference.. but still sitting.. hardest vote of the 4th round.

-------------

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: September 11 2015 at 16:52
Hard to choose between two Avant masterpieces. I went for Perils, but am happy if Jean-Louis advance.

Date Posted: September 11 2015 at 17:36
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Hard to choose between two Avant masterpieces. I went for Perils, but am happy if Jean-Louis advance.

yep...  love both.. happy to see either win. Perils hits me harder... so it gets the vote.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk