Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=103873
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 05:01
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 4th Round Moderns: Jurassic Shift v. In Absentia
Posted By: micky
Subject: 4th Round Moderns: Jurassic Shift v. In Absentia
Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 09:02
Next up... a battle of two greats! In previous rounds we did song samples, great PA's reviews, with this round I wanted to do something a different. So I went outside PA's..  what do people outside of this site say about these albums.

Jurassic Shift by Ozric Tentacles

Great purchase both for the fans and especially those who want to start exploring Ozricland. The album is one of the most accomplished of the line-up with Merv and Joie, with all their trademarks: beautiful atmospheres, great jamming and, of course, pure strangeness. Although it's not mentioned anywhere, the live version of Feng Shui, '...the art of walking through a forest treading on toadstools, but without breaking them...' of the ’98 edition is still at the end of the album (thanks Mike). My ears don’t pick up anything changed from that edition sound-wise so I’m guessing it hasn’t been remastered.

There's yet another live version of Feng Shui on the DVD, together with Jurassic Shift (in bright sunlight! At Reading!!), Pteranodon (high strangeness) and a jam at the Pongmaster's Ball. As usual, they deliver the goods on stage like nobody’s business. To wrap it up there's also the official video for Vita Voom – an one-off, as it's proving so far, an interview at Glastonbury sprinkled with excerpts from both Vita Voom and Jurassic Shift, as well as some rather pointless noodling in the studio.

Quite cool packaging too, with a wider take of the original artwork and a 22-page booklet with pictures and the story of the album – though the paper is not made of hemp, as in the original version. Couldn’t resist. Worth every penny.

In Absentia by Porcupine Tree

One day during my junior year of college, I passed by a friend’s room in our house. The room was dark and he was fast asleep inside. Nothing unusual, except that his stereo was blaring King Crimson’s Discipline at an ear shattering volume. I had never heard the band before, and I was quickly convinced that, if the devil had a den, this would be the house music: powerful driving polyrhythms; loud ominous guitars; and that curious, paranoid voice. Jaw dropped, while my friend slept, I sat around for hours to see if I liked it. I did.

King Crimson casts such a long shadow that it is probably unfair to draw a comparison with any new band. Yet, critics itch to draw the reference any time a young group is technically proficient, leans towards hard progressive rock and dabbles in odd time signatures. Of course, it helps if the group also cultivates predominately young male fans. You know, the ones who grew up rolling those hexagonal dice in Dungeons and Dragons (somehow Rush always got the jocks). Most recently, the band Tool has been hailed as inheritors to the throne. Granted, Tool is a great band. And yes, Lateralus is a very heavy record. But I’m still not ready to concede the coronation.

You see, Crimson did not just expand the lexicon of hard rock music. The early ‘80s incarnation of the band (its last until the same members reunited with an incredible expanded double trio line-up on 1994’s Thrak) also constructed its own form of smart avant-garde pop music. An oxymoron? Perhaps, but consider Thrak. It was not just an aural blitzkrieg. The album was compelling because it juxtaposed assaulting instrumentals with sprawling ballads like “One Time” and “Walking on Air”. And if we dig deep in the Crimson catalogue, we find other classics with unmistakably catchy hooks, like “21st Century Schizoid Man”, which, amazingly, I recently found on a list of songs at a karaoke bar (not wishing to press my luck, I stuck to the better-known pop branding of Bon Jovi’s “It’s My Life”).

So here’s my question: with technically proficient hard rock groups now abound, where is a progressive rock fan to turn for new music with that kind of melodic sensibility? One answer is the major label debut from Porcupine Tree, In Absentia. This is an impressive album that drips with Crimson’s progressive rock influence. But what sets this album apart is that Steven Wilson, the band’s frontman who wrote the songs and produced the album, was clearly set upon constructing intelligent popular music.

Take the first track, “Blackest Eyes”. The band storms out of the gate with a blistering guitar and heavy drums riffing through a sequence of tricky time signatures. But after that introduction, the tune changes gears to hit a slick even tempo acoustic groove, and Wilson’s vocals lifts an accessible tune to the chorus, where back-up harmonies shower over the catchy refrain before returning to the aggressive opening charge. And then, on the third track, “Lips of Ashes”, Wilson sprinkles his atmospheric guitar swells over a fascinating blend of Pink Floyd acoustic guitar (“Hey You”) and full harmonies akin to Crosby, Stills and Nash (“Guinnevere”). Original stuff.

But it is the fourth track, “The Sound of Muzak”, that stands out. It opens with Gavin Harrison, the band’s exceptional drummer, delivering an expert medium tempo polyrhythmic hi-hat, snare, and kick groove. Over a picked-out clean guitar riff, Wilson sings a lament over the sterile direction of music: “Soul gets squeezed / Edges get blunt / Demographic / Gives you what you want”. With the arrival of the chorus, the band settles into an even time signature. The sound lifts open with lush acoustic guitars; Colin Edwards minds the bottom with a terrifically tasteful bass line; and Wilson offers his most memorable pop chorus complete with smooth layered harmonies. In a perfect world, this would be a hit song, albeit an ironic one.

Another highlight is the ambitious “Gravity Eyelids”. Musically, this track actually reminds me of Crimson’s “One Time”. The song opens as a quasi-ballad featuring Wilson’s Belew-like vocals over a subtle industrial programmed drum track and hushed synthesizer choral voices. The feel fits the sleepy seduction of the lyrics, as the singer gently wakes his lover from her slumber. The track builds softly with keys, live drums and a deft melodic bass line right out of Tony Levin’s repertoire. And just as you think the song is coming to a close, it takes off on a furious electric guitar riff as the band carries the listener through an aggressive instrumental, symbolizing the consummation of the sleepily aroused lovers. The track ultimately returns to the soft chorus melody and opening drum track as the lovers return to sleep. You have to admire the thought and execution of this expansive production.

Porcupine Tree is a very good band, and In Absentia is a testament to their intelligence and musicianship. Also credit the engineer, Paul Northfield (Rush, Ozzy Osbourne, and Marilyn Manson), for the clear sonic palette, providing a platform for the tremendous live drums and full bass tone. Clocking in at over 68 minutes, the album certainly has its occasional dips and valleys, but it is a complete musical statement worth hearing. You just might find this trio to be three of a perfect pair.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Replies:
Posted By: zravkapt
Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 09:19
Never could get into Porky's Tree. Voted Ozrics.

-------------
Magma America Great Make Again

Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 09:21
I'll sit on this one.. I like the PT album better.. but if close.. I'll give the vote to the Ozrics for the overall sake of the tournament haha.  We do love underdogs...

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Pastmaster
Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 09:59
The Ozrics, space rock doesn't get much more perfect then that. Big smile

Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 10:01
Hawkwind man...  perhaps that is why i never got into the Ozrics..  there is Space Rock and its name IS Hawkwind.. anything else is just a pale immitation hahaha

-------------

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 10:04
Like both a lot but Ozrics are more likely to need the help

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 10:05
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Hawkwind man...  perhaps that is why i never got into the Ozrics..  there is Space Rock and its name IS Hawkwind.. anything else is just a pale immitation hahaha

Hawkwind's great too, I guess the Ozrics just fit my love of both space rock and electronic music. LOL

Posted By: sleeper
Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 17:07
I got the error for the first time, but chalk up another (suprising) vote for Porcupine Tree.

-------------
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Posted By: Nightfly
Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 17:31
Porcupine Tree - their finest hour.

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 19:45
How could I vote against the Ozark Hillbilly Tentacles ??

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 19:58
In Absentia because it works for all ocassions. It's the black dress of prog.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 20:13
Ozric Tentacles

Posted By: progmatic
Date Posted: August 29 2015 at 23:58
Love the wizards with Oz, but in this case have to go with the other Treemendous selection offered here.

-------------
PROGMATIC

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: August 30 2015 at 00:39
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

This. PT's best by far.

I like Jurassic Shift a lot too. It was the last Ozrics album that I really enjoyed.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: August 30 2015 at 01:04
Jurassic Shift

Date Posted: August 30 2015 at 01:32
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

This. PT's best by far.

I like Jurassic Shift a lot too. It was the last Ozrics album that I really enjoyed.

I prefer Deadwing and FoaBP personally. Tongue

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: August 30 2015 at 06:07
Ozric Cool

Posted By: ole-the-first
Date Posted: August 30 2015 at 07:07
Porcupine Tree without any chance for Ozric Tentacles.

-------------
This night wounds time.

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: August 30 2015 at 07:31
Ozric Tentacles' Jurassic Shift

-------------

Date Posted: August 30 2015 at 07:49
hmmm..   glad I've hung onto my vote LOL

-------------

Posted By: Skalla-Grim
Date Posted: August 30 2015 at 08:29

Hawkwind may have started it, still I enjoy Ozric Tentacles more, though I prefer Sensations Fix to both of them.

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: August 31 2015 at 10:35
love the Ozrics but I gotta go with

PTree

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: Moogtron III
Date Posted: August 31 2015 at 12:12
Not the biggest of Wilson fans but the guy makes decent music.
Not an Ozrics fan yet.

In Absentia gets my vote

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: August 31 2015 at 21:55
Ozrics

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: t d wombat
Date Posted: August 31 2015 at 22:13
mutter mutter mutter .....

I do like the Ozrics. Have listened to three or four of their albums and enjoyed each of them better than Jurassic and I like Jurassic.

Otoh, In Absentia is pretty damn good in its own way. might put this on hold for awhile.

-------------
Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx

Posted By: Imperial Zeppelin
Date Posted: August 31 2015 at 22:33
The better album

-------------
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: September 01 2015 at 01:28
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

In Absentia because it works for all ocassions. It's the black dress of prog.
Nonsense. Wouldn't last a second on our Comus/Gong/Dashiell Hedayat/Düül... fireside freakouts (but a black dress would do fine). Still voted for it because Trains is AOR-perfection.

-------------

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: September 01 2015 at 05:09
PT

-------------

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: September 01 2015 at 07:07
Originally posted by Pastmaster Pastmaster wrote:

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

This. PT's best by far.

I prefer Deadwing and FoaBP personally. Tongue

Deadwing does come pretty close for me tbh, but FOABP lacks the depth of IA.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Komandant Shamal
Date Posted: September 01 2015 at 07:31
i voted for "Jurassic Shift".

Date Posted: September 02 2015 at 04:35
Finally went with JS.

-------------
Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx

Posted By: AEProgman
Date Posted: September 02 2015 at 08:35
Toss up, gave it to Porky.

-------------

Posted By: symphonicman
Date Posted: September 07 2015 at 15:49

Porcupine Tree, In Absentia.

-------------
Master James of St. George.
Of the fields and the sky.
He used to build castles of stone, steel, and blood.
But lines get broken down.

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: September 07 2015 at 19:43
Ozrics!

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Date Posted: September 10 2015 at 14:06
strategic vote for the Ozrics!!!!

-------------

Posted By: twalsh
Date Posted: September 10 2015 at 14:18
In Absentia.  Vote for the Mastertape!

-------------
More heavy prog, please!

Date Posted: September 10 2015 at 17:08

strategic vote for the Ozrics!!!!

Splendid chap. Clap

-------------
Andrew B

Date Posted: September 10 2015 at 17:24
at the end of the day.. no matter how much I like the album.. I just couldn't vote for it. 

this forum has forever ruined whatever goodwill I ever had towards PT and he who hath many projects..LOL

-------------

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: September 12 2015 at 06:52
Not a fan of either album, but I find the Ozrics marginally more interesting for their incorporation of electronics and ethnic elements in their music.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk