Print Page | Close Window

Rattle That Lock

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Other music related lounges
Forum Name: Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
Forum Description: Discuss bands and albums classified as Proto-Prog and Prog-Related
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=104198
Printed Date: April 29 2024 at 08:24
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Rattle That Lock
Posted By: aliano
Subject: Rattle That Lock
Date Posted: September 28 2015 at 12:56
What's your favorite track from Gilmour's new album?
The lack of talking about this album on this forum is strange for me!Use this place to discuss the album too.

Replies:
Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: September 28 2015 at 13:29
There's a few choice tracks on this album, hard to pick, maybe a tie between A Boat Lies Waiting or Beauty, though I really love the entire album. I'll vote for Beauty, though it may change the next time I spin the LP.

Date Posted: September 28 2015 at 13:55
I love all the three instrumentals on this album, but And Then... is one of those Gilmourish tracks that gives me goosebumps!

Posted By: O666
Date Posted: September 28 2015 at 14:15
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

There's a few choice tracks on this album, hard to pick, maybe a tie between A Boat Lies Waiting or Beauty, though I really love the entire album. I'll vote for Beauty, though it may change the next time I spin the LP.
I agree with you about "hard to pick" . I love Dave Gilmour and he is my hero. This is very Beautiful and emotional album. BUT I could not find anything new in this album because of Sadness. IMO he repeat himself , but with a lot of "Sorrow" and You can see this sadness and depression in all of album's tracks.
BTW This is a DAVID GILMOUR album.

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: September 28 2015 at 15:55
In Any Tongue.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: aglasshouse
Date Posted: September 28 2015 at 16:50
I actually haven't listened to all of it but. For a PF solo album it's pretty good.

-------------
http://fryingpanmedia.com

Date Posted: September 29 2015 at 00:11
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

In Any Tongue.
This track starts out like Comfortably Numb........

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: September 29 2015 at 07:55
This album is no candidate for my top 10 of this year, but definitely better than I thought at first.
Four tracks stand out for me: A Boat Lies Waiting, In Any Tongue, Beauty and Today.

Today I vote for Today.

-------------

Date Posted: September 29 2015 at 08:09
Question : I've noticed the inclusion of track timings to the RTL entry - why is it that the vinyl versions of the songs clock in anywhere between 10-30 seconds shorter than the CD versions (I got the stop-watch out, that's how much of a geek I am.....)?? Just a curious observation.

Date Posted: September 29 2015 at 09:00
^ I saw this in some albums too. Very good question.

Posted By: Imperial Zeppelin
Date Posted: September 29 2015 at 09:08
Faces of Stone or Girl in the Yellow dress

-------------
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."

Date Posted: September 29 2015 at 11:14

In Any Tongue.
This track starts out like Comfortably Numb........
No problem for me, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. As long as the artist is imitating himself and lets be frank, which artist doesn't?

-------------

Date Posted: September 29 2015 at 12:08
Don't you think the first guitar notes in Faces Of Stone(starts at 00:53) is similar to the guitar intro of Camel's Straight to My Heart from Rajaz?

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: September 29 2015 at 12:22
Well.....I've only heard 2 tracks on you tube since most are not up there yet and I haven't bought the album yet. Based on only those I can't say I'm knocked out by the music. It's typical Gilmour, not particularly proggy,  and probably not something I would play very often. It's recorded well and of course played well...but it just doesn't have that 'something' that makes me want to listen more than once.
Maybe I'm just getting old....or Gilmour is.
Stern Smile

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: September 29 2015 at 15:12
^Or both. Wink 

Yes Doc, it's formulaic Gilmour but I don't think he's going to change his stripes at age 69. I really can't relate being just a teenager myself.

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: September 29 2015 at 15:24
Going with In Any Tongue......had a good listen on airline flights to and back from Cancun. at first I was like naaaaah, don't like it. Too much poppy, easy listening music.....but on the flights home I started to enjoy it more. For sure not a game changer, but a comfortable album by Gilmour.

I would like it more if he came to Seattle on his tour Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: September 29 2015 at 15:30
^So, how was Cancun Jose? Tongue

-------------

Date Posted: September 29 2015 at 16:27

^So, how was Cancun Jose? Tongue

-------------

Date Posted: September 29 2015 at 16:35
^Yeah, I thought it was like a Corona commercial! Clap

-------------

Date Posted: September 29 2015 at 16:44
^ Pretty much....

-------------

Date Posted: September 29 2015 at 19:01
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

^ Pretty much....
Nice. Very nice. Big smile

-------------

Posted By: Follix
Date Posted: September 30 2015 at 23:57
In Any Tongue for me... I really enjoy his solo on it, there a few licks on there that are epic.

Date Posted: October 02 2015 at 10:11
The ending guitar solo of Faces of Stone is on of his best since PF days.So heartwrenching.

Posted By: King Only
Date Posted: October 02 2015 at 12:28
I'm enjoying the album but I need to listen to it a few more times before I can choose a clear favorite.

Wish some of the songs were a little bit longer. They always seem to fade out while his guitar solos are still going. Just wait another 30 seconds or so before starting the fade out, or better still, let the band play a proper ending.

Posted By: Svetonio
Date Posted: October 02 2015 at 23:44
Rattle That Lock

Date Posted: October 03 2015 at 13:16
Start of "Dancing Right In Front Of Me" is very similar to start of "A Million Miles Away (I Wish I Had A Time Machine)" od Edison's Children

Posted By: AZF
Date Posted: October 17 2015 at 06:02
It's only "Dancing Right In Front Of Me" and "The Girl In The Yellow Dress" that don't work for me.
I really love "In Any Tongue" and even "Today" surprised me. I love how the album starts off ambient-ish, goes more traditional as the album progress and then ends on more expansive tunes.
It's a very close choice. If "A Momentary Lapse of Reason" is now being acknowledged officially as a Gilmour solo album, then "Rattle That Lock" is more satisfying than that album and his first two solo albums.

Date Posted: October 17 2015 at 08:47
Agreed with everything you said... I find it even more satisfying than OAI especially because of ''In Any Tongue'' which is the best song he did since ''High Hopes'' imo.

Date Posted: October 17 2015 at 16:12
This album is full of great tunes for sure. I do prefer On An Island - esp. the Gdansk performance, but still, this new one is almost as superb. I'm surprised with the low-ish rating it's garnered so far, what do folks expect ?? I doubt that DG will be composing a 22 min. psych-Prog extravaganza anytime soon.
I was listening to some of his 'Barn Jams' and I could quite easily enjoy an hours-worth of them. Hopefully they get to see the light of day as a 'professional product'.

Posted By: POTA
Date Posted: November 09 2015 at 18:02
In Any Tongue is as good musically as anything David's ever done. It would probably be known as a classic had it been released 30+ years ago. 

I loved it initially and still love it for the music and structure. But after a few listens I can't get over how it suffers from Polly Samson's trite lyrics. 

Date Posted: November 10 2015 at 11:34
She is no Roger Waters but imo this particular song is her best lyrical effort, ever.  Not saying it's amazing or anything but much better than ''We bitch and we fight'' you know...

Date Posted: December 20 2015 at 06:06
Looks like interest in RTL has died in the ass. It's a nice enough album, I guess Gilmour could do better. I suppose he doesn't have to prove himself anymore.

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: December 20 2015 at 06:59

Looks like interest in RTL has died in the ass. It's a nice enough album, I guess Gilmour could do better. I suppose he doesn't have to prove himself anymore.

Outside the opening and closing instrumental tracks, the only real interest of this album is the great track is the other instrumental track (track 7)Clap (the best thing he's written since High Hopes... and maybe since Confortably Numb)

Not that it is a truly bad album (actually, it's better than the poor About Face and the yawner On An Island), but as soon as David sings, I am boooored all the way to total "ennui".

Date Posted: December 20 2015 at 10:41
I would say track #6 (In Any Tongue) is the best thing he wrote since High Hopes, I like #7 too tho...

Date Posted: December 20 2015 at 13:32
Yeah - Beauty is the finest thing on RTL. A Boat Lies Waiting is also very 'pretty'. There's nothing I dislike on the album, it's overall very good, but just 'lacking' in something.
I am still impressed with On An Island. It is laid back (on the verge of being laid out) but the slow grooves, and ultra-mellow nature of most of it works for me. At least there's some extended solos on there. He does have a magic touch.

Posted By: DDPascalDD
Date Posted: December 20 2015 at 13:58
I remember listening to Castellorizon 8 times in a row

Think I prefer OAI even over The Division Bell.

-------------
https://pascalvandendool.bandcamp.com/album/a-moment-of-thought" rel="nofollow - New album! "A Moment of Thought"

Posted By: TheLionOfPrague
Date Posted: December 20 2015 at 20:20
Watched David live two nights ago. Fantastic, doubt I'll ever see something like this again in my life.

-------------
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place

Date Posted: December 21 2015 at 11:47
Yeah his tour really took off in South American leg, his vocals were much stronger than 2 months ago.

Date Posted: December 27 2015 at 20:11
I'm still very grateful for The Endless River. As 'bits-n-pieces' (or even 'leftovers') as it is, this is on-par with TDB, and my fave since Animals.
Think I'll spin either this or RTL next (after GORGUTS )

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk