Forum Description: Create polls on topics not related to music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=104368
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 09:09
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 10 movies (genuine sauce poll)
Posted By: Guldbamsen
Subject: 10 movies (genuine sauce poll)
Date Posted: October 12 2015 at 09:33
Pretty simple; I've chosen some completely unrelated films based purely on the fact that I love them all....for entirely different reasons. There are comedies, artsy stuff, ultra-violence, thrillers, gangster dramas and so forth yet they all feel like classics in one way or the other...maybe except for The Manchurian Candidate and Bronson. I guess we'll see in the future.

Which one tickles your fancy the most?

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Replies:
Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: October 12 2015 at 09:48
I've seen only 4 out of 10 on the list. Out of these 4 I really like Midnight Run. A twisty movie with a great Robert De Niro performance.

Date Posted: October 12 2015 at 09:52
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

I've seen only 4 out of 10 on the list. Out of these 4 I really like Midnight Run. A twisty movie with a great Robert De Niro performance.

Great choice AndreyClap
I saw it last night (with Swedish subtitles no lessLOL). I'd completely forgotten about it. Well shame on me, because it is such an entertaining movie. No artsy stuff whatsoever but a sensational cast that really fires on all cylinders. Charles Grodin is hilarious as The Duke.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: TeleStrat
Date Posted: October 12 2015 at 10:00
The first five are long time favorites.
From the second five I'm only familiar with Midnight Run which is also a favorite.
As a big fan of Kurt Vonnegut novels I'm embarrassed to say I have not seen
Slaughterhouse Five. But I do own Mother Night with Nick Nolte.

Date Posted: October 12 2015 at 10:13
Originally posted by TeleStrat TeleStrat wrote:

From the second five I'm only familiar with Midnight Run which is also a favorite.

Ouch! Damn you've been missing out Gary! Sorry to say so, but yeahLOL
I think George Roy Hill did a wonderful job of translating Vonnegut's dark humour onto the screen. 

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: emigre80
Date Posted: October 12 2015 at 10:16
Lot of great films here but I'm choosing Dog Day Afternoon.  Such a fully committed performance from Pacino.

Loved Midnight Run too, not to mention Blow-Up and The French Connection.

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: October 12 2015 at 10:17
I never saw any of those, although I have The French Connection on blu-ray Embarrassed (with a very stupid Portuguese title on the cover LOL)

Date Posted: October 12 2015 at 10:24
Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

Lot of great films here but I'm choosing Dog Day Afternoon.  Such a fully committed performance from Pacino.

As John Travolta says in the completely underwhelming Swordfish, it is genuinely Lumet's best work and up there for Pacino (a man that always delivers).
Based on a true story too. (Such a crazy little tale you just know it's got to be realLOL)

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: October 12 2015 at 10:25
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I think George Roy Hill did a wonderful job of translating Vonnegut's dark humour onto the screen. 

Hopefully I won't be missing out for long since I'll be going on Amazon shortly to see if it's available.
You should watch Mother Night if you can. Some may find it a bit slow but if you like the book then
that's not really a problem. John Goodman shows up in a couple of scenes as The Blue Fairy  Godmother.

Date Posted: October 12 2015 at 10:31

As John Travolta says in the completely underwhelming Swordfish, it is genuinely Lumet's best work and up there for Pacino (a man that always delivers).
Based on a true story too. (Such a crazy little tale you just know it's got to be realLOL)

Embarrassed  I liked Swordfish (great cast).
The slow motion circular scene where the lady wearing the claymore mine vest runs into the street 
and blows up is amazing special effects cinematography.

Date Posted: October 12 2015 at 10:35
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

I never saw any of those, although I have The French Connection on blu-ray Embarrassed (with a very stupid Portuguese title on the cover LOL)

Let me take a wild guess; the title alludes to something dirty/sexy?

We have our fair share of insane revamped movie titles here in Denmark tooLOL 
The 1978 Clint Eastwood movie 'Every which way but loose' fx turned into 'Bankekød til slemme drenge' (Stewed beef for bad boys)
The follow up 'Every which way you can' from 1980 trumps it though....in spades! 'Seje bøffer og hårde bananer' = Cool steaks and tough bananasLOLLOLLOL 

Oh and you need to watch The French Connection, SamuelStern Smile

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: October 12 2015 at 10:38

Hopefully I won't be missing out for long since I'll be going on Amazon shortly to see if it's available.
You should watch Mother Night if you can. Some may find it a bit slow but if you like the book then
that's not really a problem. John Goodman shows up in a couple of scenes as The Blue Fairy  Godmother.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll remember that. Nick Nolte and John Goodman sound good to me (John Goodman is fantastic...hell even in small cameos. He always manages to make his stamp on whatever he appears in, and that is quite the feat in itself).

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: October 12 2015 at 10:40

Embarrassed  I liked Swordfish (great cast).
The slow motion circular scene where the lady wearing the claymore mine vest runs into the street 
and blows up is amazing special effects cinematography.

I liked Halle Berry in it if that helpsBig smile Hot damn!

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: October 12 2015 at 10:51

The 1978 Clint Eastwood movie 'Every which way but loose' fx turned into 'Bankekød til slemme drenge' (Stewed beef for bad boys)
The follow up 'Every which way you can' from 1980 trumps it though....in spades! 'Seje bøffer og hårde bananer' = Cool steaks and tough bananasLOLLOLLOL 

Nah. According to imdb it's "Os Incorruptíveis Contra a Droga" (The Incorruptibles Against Drugs) Sleepy

Those are really funny LOL

Yeah, I know. My blu-ray player is connected to a CRT TV on my music appreciation room, to listen to audio blu-ray's, so I can't watch anything properly there Tongue

Date Posted: October 12 2015 at 10:53
^^  She could really hit a golf ball, and I'm sure that was a classic novel she was
reading in the sun room. You have to admire an educated girl.

Date Posted: October 12 2015 at 10:58
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Nah. According to imdb it's "Os Incorruptíveis Contra a Droga" (The Incorruptibles Against Drugs) Sleepy

Those are really funny LOL

Yeah, I know. My blu-ray player is connected to a CRT TV on my music appreciation room, to listen to audio blu-ray's, so I can't watch anything properly there Tongue

Ahh nuts...and here I was getting all excited and stuff!Tongue

Oh and pretty lame excuse for not watching movies. Admit it - you're just too lazy to spend 3 minutes on the tv set-upLOL

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: October 12 2015 at 11:00

^^  She could really hit a golf ball, and I'm sure that was a classic novel she was
reading in the sun room. You have to admire an educated girl.

Reading? What?? I'm not sure I caught thatEmbarrassedLOL Too busy looking at other....erm...parts of the screen.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: October 12 2015 at 11:07

Oh and pretty lame excuse for not watching movies. Admit it - you're just too lazy to spend 3 minutes on the tv set-upLOL
Should I spend 3 minutes to connect it to my PC monitor or listen to awesome music in 5.1 right now? Wink

Date Posted: October 12 2015 at 11:07
^^  You are a bad boy and need to be put in a "timeout"  ShockedSmile

Date Posted: October 12 2015 at 11:09
People are too fast this morning. I have to keep editing to add another ^

Posted By: Triceratopsoil
Date Posted: October 12 2015 at 12:50
Bronson

Posted By: Ozark Soundscape
Date Posted: October 12 2015 at 14:09
I've only seen The Fisher King (good film with some flaws) so I didn't vote.

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: October 12 2015 at 20:01
Definitely Manchurian Candidate and surprised it has no votes.   A brilliant remake of the very good '62 original with a startling, creepy plot and great chemistry between Denzel Washington and Liev Schreiber.   If you miss the political conspiracy thrillers of the Watergate era, this one by Jonathan Demme rocks.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: Sheavy
Date Posted: October 12 2015 at 20:57
Voted for Barbecue, Kraft bbq sauce is amazing. Although hot sauce wasn't too far behind, can't go wrong with Texas Pete or Tabasco.

-------------

Date Posted: October 12 2015 at 21:04
^ Hell yeah.  Smoke 'em up !!

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: October 12 2015 at 21:21
Blow Up.  I enjoyed Antonioni quite a lot. 

-------------

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: October 12 2015 at 21:30
French Connection, love Popeye

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Date Posted: October 12 2015 at 21:51
"You picked your feet in Poughkeepsie!"

-------------

Posted By: GKR
Date Posted: October 12 2015 at 22:22
All Hail Terry Giliam!

-------------
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.

Date Posted: October 13 2015 at 10:22
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Definitely Manchurian Candidate and surprised it has no votes.   A brilliant remake of the very good '62 original with a startling, creepy plot and great chemistry between Denzel Washington and Liev Schreiber.   If you miss the political conspiracy thrillers of the Watergate era, this one by Jonathan Demme rocks.

I love that movie, but I am still somewhat surprised to see that you went for it considering the competition....and so easily. Then again, I've read several of your movie reviews, and while I certainly agree with you on a lot, there are still occasions where I genuinely drop my pacifierLOL I can dig it though, I love surprises.
One of the many things I really love about this movie is that it shows us just how creepy Meryl Streep can get. She is terrifyingly good. The bath tub scene, in particular, takes on an eerie Oedipal dimension portraying this facet of her playing beautifully well. I'm always equally pulled in and disgusted whenever I watch that.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: October 13 2015 at 10:25
^  There was some controversy at the time that Meryl Streep was channeling Hilary Clinton.

Date Posted: October 13 2015 at 10:29

^  There was some controversy at the time that Meryl Streep was channeling Hilary Clinton.

I know...but I honestly don't see it apart from Streep's character being a powerful woman in politics and the short hair.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: October 13 2015 at 10:33
Originally posted by Sheavy Sheavy wrote:

Voted for Barbecue, Kraft bbq sauce is amazing. Although hot sauce wasn't too far behind, can't go wrong with Texas Pete or Tabasco.

I'm a muy caliente kinda guy myself.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: October 13 2015 at 10:38
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Blow Up.  I enjoyed Antonioni quite a lot. 

Me too Jim. Zabriskie Point was my first venture into his world, and it completely hooked me. There's a warmth and sensuousness to the imagery in his movies - even when it's portraying the exact opposite. Very beautiful and gripping.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: October 13 2015 at 11:01
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Gene Hackman is my dad's fave. I personally love how he's always a bit of an ass hole even when he's one of the good guys. 

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: October 13 2015 at 11:03

I know...but I honestly don't see it apart from Streep's character being a powerful woman in politics and the short hair.

As I recall at the time there was a bit more than that. 
I ignored that and concentrated on Denzel and Liev and their powerful performances.
Jeffery Wright delivered as well.

Date Posted: October 13 2015 at 11:08

Gene Hackman is my dad's fave. I personally love how he's always a bit of an ass hole even when he's one of the good guys. 

He can play arrogance very well. I won't try to name all of his roles that I liked.
A particularly good one was in Runaway Jury. 
That movie had a big name cast but he still stood out.

Date Posted: October 13 2015 at 11:15

As I recall at the time there was a bit more than that. 
I ignored that and concentrated on Denzel and Liev and their powerful performances.
Jeffery Wright delivered as well.

Oh yes Wright is brilliant. Paranoia taken to a hole new level. 
Two more that really deliver stellar performances are Bruno Ganz and Simon McBurney (Atticus Noyle). 

Ganz' role actually says one of the most memorable lines in the movie. 
What if all this is a dream and you're still back in Kuwait?
By that point the flick has turned so surreal and treacherous that you genuinely believe it is a viable explanation.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: October 13 2015 at 15:40
I've seen a grand total of zero on this list.

Success?

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Date Posted: October 13 2015 at 19:19

I love that movie, but I am still somewhat surprised to see that you went for it considering the competition....and so easily. Then again, I've read several of your movie reviews, and while I certainly agree with you on a lot, there are still occasions where I genuinely drop my pacifierLOL I can dig it though, I love surprises.
One of the many things I really love about this movie is that it shows us just how creepy Meryl Streep can get. She is terrifyingly good. The bath tub scene, in particular, takes on an eerie Oedipal dimension portraying this facet of her playing beautifully well. I'm always equally pulled in and disgusted whenever I watch that.

The Fisher King, Midnight Run, Bronson, Fahrenheit, Blowout, better than Manchurian C ?   I don't think so my tall urinating friend.

And yes Streep is absolutely chilling, maybe her most convincing role.   Hillary?   More like Sarah Palin on weaponized hallucinogens.

-------------

Date Posted: October 13 2015 at 19:22

He can play arrogance very well. I won't try to name all of his roles that I liked.

He was also hilarious as Lex Luthor.

I remember when he got into a fight some years ago with a couple Marines.  Apparently kicked their asses.  Here's to tough old dudes.

-------------

Date Posted: October 13 2015 at 20:25

That makes two of us then .

In seriousness though, voted for Dog Day Afternoon because it's the only one from the list I've seen, so I probably shouldn't have voted but I did anyway.

Have only seen a few Lumet films, Serpico, 12 Angry Men, and Dog Day Afternoon but I've loved all of them.

The Holy Mountain, The French Connection, Blow Up, Slaughterhouse 5, and The Fisher King are all ones I've been wanting to find on dvd for awhile, never have come across them (yet).

-------------

Date Posted: October 14 2015 at 09:16

In seriousness though, voted for Dog Day Afternoon because it's the only one from the list I've seen, so I probably shouldn't have voted but I did anyway.

Have only seen a few Lumet films, Serpico, 12 Angry Men, and Dog Day Afternoon but I've loved all of them.

The Holy Mountain, The French Connection, Blow Up, Slaughterhouse 5, and The Fisher King are all ones I've been wanting to find on dvd for awhile, never have come across them (yet).

Oh boy you're in for a treat with The Holy Mountain if you ever get your hands on it! I remember your movie poll from a little while back and coupled together with what you generally go for in music and your funny bone, then I think it's probably certain to say that you're going to enjoy the heck out of it. One of the most surreal flicks out there yet also one of the most beautifully staged. 
Acid, Carl Jung and 'dream states'.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: October 14 2015 at 09:19

He was also hilarious as Lex Luthor.

I remember when he got into a fight some years ago with a couple Marines.  Apparently kicked their asses.  Here's to tough old dudes.

Here's to themBeer

Oh and Clint says hi

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: October 14 2015 at 09:24
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

I've seen a grand total of zero on this list.

Success?

You've been chosen to go about amending your ways in the old wine shed, where you shall watch these magnificent movies on VHS. No HD television either for you boyo. 

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: October 19 2015 at 10:03
I finally saw The French Connection last weekend. Great movie Cool

Date Posted: October 19 2015 at 10:13
Approve

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: October 19 2015 at 15:44

-------------

Date Posted: October 19 2015 at 16:06

Date Posted: October 28 2015 at 17:57

Oh boy you're in for a treat with The Holy Mountain if you ever get your hands on it! I remember your movie poll from a little while back and coupled together with what you generally go for in music and your funny bone, then I think it's probably certain to say that you're going to enjoy the heck out of it. One of the most surreal flicks out there yet also one of the most beautifully staged. 
Acid, Carl Jung and 'dream states'.

I've wanted to get my hands any Alejandro Jodorowsky film really. I know I'd love'em, anything surreal, strange, or off the wall and I'll probably get some enjoyment out of it.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk