Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=104377
Printed Date: May 02 2024 at 04:59
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Best CAMEL studio album
Posted By: charles_ryder
Subject: The Best CAMEL studio album
Date Posted: October 12 2015 at 14:58
I love all the Camel albums. But "The Snow Goose" is something special for me.

-------------
om mani padme hum

Replies:
Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: October 12 2015 at 15:13
The Snow Goose > Nude > Moonmadness

-------------

Posted By: tboyd1802
Date Posted: October 12 2015 at 15:30
I'll go for Mirage. Close second is Snow Goose. Moonmadness simply doesn't resonate with me...

-------------
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: October 12 2015 at 15:30
Moonmadness
Mirage
Camel(s/t)

My top three

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: Imperial Zeppelin
Date Posted: October 12 2015 at 15:40
I'd go with Rajaz today. Snow goose and moonmadness would be the following two.

-------------
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."

Posted By: Tuzvihar
Date Posted: October 12 2015 at 15:40
Oooooooch... Tough...

-------------
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski

Posted By: friso
Date Posted: October 12 2015 at 15:46
very hard, I prefer the Snow Goos live version, so its between the elegant and always playable Moonmadness against prog tour-de-force Mirage. Mirage it is.

A honorable mention for the debut and Nude.

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: October 12 2015 at 16:50
Moonmadess

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: the lighthouse keepe
Date Posted: October 12 2015 at 17:09
Very tough but at the moment I'll go
Moonmadness > Stationary Traveller > Rain Dances

-------------
"Hello sun.Hello bird.
Hello my lady.
Hello breakfast.May I buy you
again tomorrow?"

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: October 12 2015 at 17:10
Not even a mention of their fantastic debut?

Shaaame.

Voted the debut. 

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: GKR
Date Posted: October 12 2015 at 17:29
I'am going with the Snow Goose, but Mirage and Moonmadness are just as good for me.

-------------
- From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.

Posted By: sublime220
Date Posted: October 12 2015 at 18:38
Mirage, but Moonmadness is growing on me.

-------------
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...

Posted By: Raccoon
Date Posted: October 12 2015 at 19:02
Many, many great albums..

Am I the only one that thinks the new re-recorded Snow Goose sounds dull? All the charm of the original, all the strength of the arrangements was completely changed to a more modern sound. And yet it's rated (pretty much) as high as the original! Was it just hype that increased the rating so?

Anyways..
Snow Goose > Rain Dances/Moonmadness > Mirage

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: October 12 2015 at 20:21
Originally posted by the lighthouse keepe the lighthouse keepe wrote:

Very tough but at the moment I'll go
Moonmadness > Stationary Traveller > Rain Dances

my first 2 are the same;  for the third one I think Snow Goose

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: October 12 2015 at 20:29
I love Camel but it seems like I listen to their less proggy material. 

Breathless and Rain Dances are fabulous stuff. Out of their proggy stuff it is obviously Mirage for me, but Breathless and s/t are the ones I put on when I'm feeling some Camel. 

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: October 12 2015 at 21:00
Rain Dances for me.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: October 12 2015 at 21:00
Originally posted by Horizons Horizons wrote:

I love Camel but it seems like I listen to their less proggy material. 

Breathless and Rain Dances are fabulous stuff.  

Stationary Traveller, too!

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: October 13 2015 at 00:30
Everything but The Single Factor and Dust and Dreams

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: Aussie-Byrd-Brother
Date Posted: October 13 2015 at 01:15
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Stationary Traveller, too!

I thought that might have been you who voted for that, until I then read your previous post!

I'm actually glad to see even just a little love (ie one vote!) thrown `Strationary's way. It's quite a decent album, and Andy's guitar lifts even the poorer moments.

I don't expect to see a vote for `The Single Factor', but it's really note quite as bad as it's made out to be.

For my vote...I can't decide, I could pretty much throw a dart at any of the first few up to and including `Rain Dances' and be pretty happy with the results!

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: October 13 2015 at 01:31
Mirage probably, at least a part. I've always had difficulty to listen to a full album of this band. Embarrassed

Posted By: b_olariu
Date Posted: October 13 2015 at 02:15
1974 MirageThumbs Up

Posted By: Komandant Shamal
Date Posted: October 13 2015 at 02:26
i voted for "Mirage".

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: October 13 2015 at 05:12
Originally posted by charles_ryder charles_ryder wrote:

I love all the Camel albums. But "The Snow Goose" is something special for me.

For me, it's not just the best Camel album, but the best album ever recorded. The emotion it conveys; its astonishing ability to portray scenes, people and tell a story without words, is utterly amazing. The playing is perfect and I never tire of playing it.

Moonmadness comes a close second, with its spacy atmosphere and elegant playing. Mirage, Rain Dances, Nude, Rajaz and A Nod and a Wink are all 5 star albums too, and Stationary Traveller is growing on me all the time.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: October 13 2015 at 05:19
This has been done before, but thanks for the list. Because of a generous friend, I have all but the Snow Goose re-recording. By the way - MOONMADNESS!!

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: O666
Date Posted: October 13 2015 at 05:30
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Clap. Good point
I decide to pick one and I pick MIRAGE today.

Posted By: The-time-is-now
Date Posted: October 13 2015 at 06:30
Mirage.

-------------

One of my best achievements in life was to find this picture :D

Posted By: Bonnek
Date Posted: October 13 2015 at 09:47

Mirage > Snow Goose (the original not that awful re-recording!) > Moonmadness > Camel

Date Posted: October 13 2015 at 10:03
Originally posted by O666 O666 wrote:

Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Clap. Good point
I decide to pick one and I pick MIRAGE today.

I don't know - Dust and Dreams wasn't that bad. And thanks for the decision.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: timothy leary
Date Posted: October 13 2015 at 10:14
Rajaz for me.

Posted By: Flight123
Date Posted: October 13 2015 at 10:44
'The Single Factor' was the dreaded contractual obligation album...

Posted By: Prog Sothoth
Date Posted: October 13 2015 at 10:49
Nude or Rajaz...went with Nude.

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: October 13 2015 at 10:53
It used to be Mirage but nowadays I find myself reaching for the debut, if I want some Camel to go with my Camel ciggy.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: October 13 2015 at 10:58
Rain Dances. It's a personal favourite these days.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: October 13 2015 at 17:14
Originally posted by Tuzvihar Tuzvihar wrote:

Oooooooch... Tough...

Indeed, this is a hard choice for me too. I love Camel's music, and can't say for sure which one l like best. l guess it depends on the mood l'm in.

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: October 13 2015 at 22:20
Haven't heard them all, but I love Breathless.

Posted By: cemego
Date Posted: October 13 2015 at 22:37
This was tough.

I liked the Richard Sinclair era.  I voted Rain Dances, but I could have easily voted for Breathless.  Followed by Nude.  Followed by one of the LATE GREAT Chris Rainbow era albums.  (I really miss Chris Rainbow).

Just sayin.

-------------
listen to streaming stuff! no commercials!

http://wmom.servemp3.com:8000/listen.pls

Date Posted: October 14 2015 at 04:50
Great poll.The Result  (till now) show me why Camel is a "Underrated Band" (IMO). 

Mirage+Snow Goose+Moonmadness votes = 45
Dust and Dreams+Harbour of Tears+Rajaz+A Nod and A Wink = 4!!!

This show me Younger fans not interested to listen Camel because of Older fans don't like (or don't want) to talk about Camel's post "Stationary Travelers" albums. RAJAZ is one of the best albums of Camel (IMO). Emotional and Technical album with great sound and good Lyrics but don't listened as it deserve to listened! 

Date Posted: October 14 2015 at 05:28
^ Younger fans listen to Camel and some already voted (including me). In my case I'm still getting their older albums (Nude is the most recent I have) so I don't have Rajaz.

Posted By: Imperial Zeppelin
Date Posted: October 14 2015 at 05:54
^ listen to Rajaz and Harbour Of Tears, you won't be disappointed. Or maybe you will, I don't know everything.

-------------
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."

Date Posted: October 14 2015 at 06:00
^ You proved my point Smile I listened to both a while ago and wasn't disappointed but I don't know them well enough to consider them favourites.

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: October 14 2015 at 06:53

Great poll.The Result  (till now) show me why Camel is a "Underrated Band" (IMO). 

This show me Younger fans not interested to listen Camel because of Older fans don't like (or don't want) to talk about Camel's post "Stationary Travelers" albums. RAJAZ is one of the best albums of Camel (IMO). Emotional and Technical album with great sound and good Lyrics but don't listened as it deserve to listened! 

I may be Camel's biggest (and one of their oldest) fans and I certainly do listen to their more recent albums. I rave over Rajaz; every note is a delight. I think A Nod and a Wink is a quintessentially English masterpiece with For Today as one of the greatest pieces of music ever written. I don't like Dust and Dreams or Harbour of Tears quite as much, but there's some great music on there.

The reason the later albums don't get many votes is because Mirage, The Snow Goose and Moonmadness were just so damned good. Only Genesis (with Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot and Selling England) have released three consecutive albums that come near them.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: October 14 2015 at 07:22
Another tough poll!
Goose/Moonmadness/Mirage
Oddly enough, I couldn't get into the Snow Goose remaster - it didn't have the same "feel" as the original, even though it's the same music.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Date Posted: October 14 2015 at 07:51

1) Younger fans of what? Camel? Not interested in listening to Camel?
2) Not all young music listeners are the same.
3) I don't know how a person's interest can be influenced by what old music listeners like.

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: October 14 2015 at 09:37
There are of course also those who believe that rock is a young man's gameWink 
-That most of the 70s acts, while continuing to make quality music up to this day, still don't hold a candle to their younger selves. 
I am very much in that camp myself, although I'd love to be proven wrong.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: October 14 2015 at 10:11
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^ Younger fans listen to Camel and some already voted (including me). In my case I'm still getting their older albums (Nude is the most recent I have) so I don't have Rajaz.
Why you dont listen Rajaz? I 70% agree!! with you about first part of your post but I mean no one support or promote Camel's newest albums.
Why you didn't choose Rajaz (or any other) for listening? I think because when you refer to Camel's Page in PA (or other sites maybe) , You choose albums with High rate and bigger number of raters (IMO). Is it correct?

Date Posted: October 14 2015 at 10:22
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

I may be Camel's biggest (and one of their oldest) fans and I certainly do listen to their more recent albums. I rave over Rajaz; every note is a delight. I think A Nod and a Wink is a quintessentially English masterpiece with For Today as one of the greatest pieces of music ever written. I don't like Dust and Dreams or Harbour of Tears quite as much, but there's some great music on there.

The reason the later albums don't get many votes is because Mirage, The Snow Goose and Moonmadness were just so damned good. Only Genesis (with Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot and Selling England) have released three consecutive albums that come near them.
Thanks for your reply. If I said Rajaz because I think Rajaz can be good for younger (not only about their age) fans and this is my personal opinion. I love A Nod and A Wink so much . This album have very sad atmosphere and Its made me cry in my first listened.
I try to say we (Camel huge fans) didn't promote Camel's lateset albums. For example we should make threads about them or Make polls and introduce these albums to another Prog Rock fans.

Date Posted: October 14 2015 at 10:28
^^ I buy the albums I come across and it's much easier to find their classic albums. If I would order online their albums that I don't have, I would start by the older ones, like the first one and Breathless.

Date Posted: October 14 2015 at 10:34
Originally posted by Dayvenkirq Dayvenkirq wrote:

3) I don't know how a person's interest can be influenced by what old music listeners like.
Hi. I explane enough about my opinion and your questions but I want to answer to your questions directly.
1) Younger Prog Music fans (not only younger age) that never listened Camel's (4) latest  albums.
2) 100% Agree but first you must listen to music then you find that you like or you don't like that music. You can't judge an album without listening to it.
3)We (Camel's fans) should introduce to others by threads or polls or... I can't convincing any one and I don't want to try to convince others but I can introduce or not? Can I write a review or not?

Date Posted: October 14 2015 at 10:43

^^ I buy the albums I come across and it's much easier to find their classic albums. If I would order online their albums that I don't have, I would start by the older ones, like the first one and Breathless.
You know better than me that you can listen before you buy. You can use legal streams or using bandcamp and ...
I mean this isn't your fault (fault?! I can't find better word). This is my (and fans like me) fault that don't tried to show you Camel's music . Thanks for your replys. You always try to find new stuffs. I follow your posts.Thumbs Up

Date Posted: October 14 2015 at 10:59
^ Like I said on the previous page, I did listen to it. Streaming is indeed great for that purpose, but to me it's not an immersive and memorable listening experience. When I finally get the album I always have the impression I'm listening to it for the first time Smile

Posted By: Evolutionary Sleeper
Date Posted: October 14 2015 at 11:00
Moomadness wins easily, my favorite classic prog album.

-------------

Date Posted: October 14 2015 at 11:06

^ Like I said on the previous page, I did listen to it. Streaming is indeed great for that purpose, but to me it's not an immersive and memorable listening experience. When I finally get the album I always have the impression I'm listening to it for the first time Smile
I understand you completely. I am like you about music and Book. I can only read books that I buy them. You right.Embarrassed

Posted By: Nightfly
Date Posted: October 14 2015 at 13:18
The Snow Goose was the first one I got back in the 70's and it's remained my favourite since but Moonmadness and Mirage aren't far behind.

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: October 16 2015 at 00:09
Breathless is their album I play the most often, so Breathless it is.

Date Posted: October 16 2015 at 07:02

Hi. I explane enough about my opinion and your questions but I want to answer to your questions directly.
1) Younger Prog Music fans (not only younger age) that never listened Camel's (4) latest  albums.
2) 100% Agree but first you must listen to music then you find that you like or you don't like that music. You can't judge an album without listening to it.
3) We (Camel's fans) should introduce to others by threads or polls or... I can't convincing any one and I don't want to try to convince others but I can introduce or not? Can I write a review or not?
OK, just trying to make things easier on us both.

1) In this case, "younger" isn't the word. Can't apply the concept of youth (which has to do with age and age only. Unless we are talking poetry, we are sticking to prose.). Maybe "people who haven't been listening to prog long enough" would do. Not sure whether there is a word for that.

2) True, but in all honesty (and I'm saying this as someone who's been listening to music for about ten years now) I still do that. I think it's a psychological thing. That's why I listen to iTunes samples of tracks to make sure that I won't waste my time and patience on purchased music I won't like.

3a) "This show me Younger fans not interested to listen Camel because of Older fans don't like (or don't want) to talk about Camel's post "Stationary Travelers" albums." OK, now you got me really confused. Rajaz is a post-Stationary Traveller album. Since you've made it very clear that you love Rajaz, this invalidates your statement that all people who haven't been listening to Camel long enough avoid all post-Stationary Traveller albums albums disliked by all old-time Camel fans (those that have been listening to Camel long enough). If I misunderstood your statement, then it's because it needs more clarity. It needs to be rephrased. (Working on your diction, or getting someone who writes in better English, would be step one. Avoiding certain implicit generalizations about any group of people would be step two.)

3b) "We (Camel's fans) should introduce to others by threads or polls or... I can't convincing any one and I don't want to try to convince others but I can introduce or not? Can I write a review or not?" Yes, you can introduce other people to whatever you want to introduce them to, but what does this theme of introduction here in (3b) have to do with the osmosis of disliking in (3a)?

Posted By: David64T
Date Posted: October 16 2015 at 07:28
One more vote for the Goose.

I first heard the live recording of The Snow Goose on Live Record and loved that, then when I finally heard the (original) studio version a few years later, I fell in love with it again...

-------------
Seasons Of Change - weekly programme on community radio: https://seasonsofchangeradio.blogspot.com.au/" rel="nofollow - http://seasonsofchangeradio.blogspot.com.au/

Date Posted: October 16 2015 at 11:25

3) We (Camel's fans) should introduce to others by threads or polls or... I can't convincing any one and I don't want to try to convince others but I can introduce or not? Can I write a review or not?
OK, just trying to make things easier on us both.

1) In this case, "younger" isn't the word. Can't apply the concept of youth (which has to do with age and age only. Unless we are talking poetry, we are sticking to prose.). Maybe "people who haven't been listening to prog long enough" would do. Not sure whether there is a word for that.

2) True, but in all honesty (and I'm saying this as someone who's been listening to music for about ten years now) I still do that. I think it's a psychological thing. That's why I listen to iTunes samples of tracks to make sure that I won't waste my time and patience on purchased music I won't like.

3a) "This show me Younger fans not interested to listen Camel because of Older fans don't like (or don't want) to talk about Camel's post "Stationary Travelers" albums." OK, now you got me really confused. Rajaz is a post-Stationary Traveller album. Since you've made it very clear that you love Rajaz, this invalidates your statement that all people who haven't been listening to Camel long enough avoid all post-Stationary Traveller albums albums disliked by all old-time Camel fans (those that have been listening to Camel long enough). If I misunderstood your statement, then it's because it needs more clarity. It needs to be rephrased. (Working on your diction, or getting someone who writes in better English, would be step one. Avoiding certain implicit generalizations about any group of people would be step two.)

3b) "We (Camel's fans) should introduce to others by threads or polls or... I can't convincing any one and I don't want to try to convince others but I can introduce or not? Can I write a review or not?" Yes, you can introduce other people to whatever you want to introduce them to, but what does this theme of introduction here in (3b) have to do with the osmosis of disliking in (3a)?
Nice try. You assign your impressions to me then attack to them as my opinion!! Now back to our discuss. I answer to you by number and I wish you UNDERSTAND!!! that :

1) What to do with it ?!  You said In this case... Are you dictionary? Who can talk about words means in different cases? You?! I don't think so. Please don't try to correct me and let me to write incorrect. I'm sure you get my opinion.Let Imagine you right. OK . What can I do for you?! Younger age or Younger to listen Prog music. Now what? 

2) Are you sure to understand what I said? I said : First You must listen then You can talk about that. this is my honest opinion. I don't care how do you choose an Album or any musical products and I don't like to know about that. Maybe you like talk about yourself and proud to your "Choosing System". This is not my business. I never said how you choosing or buying. You add this to my post.

3) I'm sure you totally don't understand me and this isn't my fault. I like "A Nod and A Wink" more than Rajaz.
I said "This show me Younger fans not interested to listen Camel because of Older fans don't like (or don't want) to talk about Camel's post "Stationary Travelers" albums.
Yes I stand on it. "Stationary Traveller" released in 1984 and "Dust and Dreams" released in 1991. 7 years GAP in Camel career is one of Important reasons that made Camel Underrated. I guessed You know about that. I don't want talk about another bands. This is about Camel. You wrote : "Rajaz is a post-Stationary Traveller album. Since you've made it very clear that you love Rajaz (YES I love Rajaz.Now What?), this invalidates your statement that all people who haven't been listening to Camel long enough avoid all post-Stationary Traveller albums albums disliked by all old-time Camel fans (those that have been listening to Camel long enough).
What is this? You try to proof what? My words is short and very clear : We didn't try to promote Camel's Post Stationary. I talk about PROMOTE and SUPPORT. This is very simple but you are confused (as you repeat that many times) and You can't see simple things clearly. And unfortunately you continue with:
(Working on your diction, or getting someone who writes in better English, would be step one. Avoiding certain implicit generalizations about any group of people would be step two.)
This is not your business. I guess you are YOUNG  person (in both mean of Young) . You said you listened to Prog or .. 10 years:
"honesty (and I'm saying this as someone who's been listening to music for about ten years now)" and this show me you are young IMO . You are not discuss like a gentle person. I am in PA from 2009 and I listened to Progressive Rock music over 30 years (I don't proud to this like you that proud to your 10 years). I pay for music more than you can think about it. I saw guys like you so much. YOUNG guys that think they know everything and accused and insult to others . I don't know you try to proof what?
3b) You can't understand 3a) but refer to 3a) to proof 3b)!!! I know what I wrote. This is very simple again. I try to show the way for promote Camel and Introduce better them to other people that THEY LIKE to do that. You try to explain my mean but you can't understand even 10% of it!  This isn't about my English or my fault. This is about your "Understand Level" and Unfortunately I can't help you in this case!!!  
All things that I tried to say is : Camel's fans that like Camel's "post S.T" albums CAN promote their (our) fav Band by write a review or make polls and Topics in PA or another sites that they like. Very very simple and clear. If you don't understand it , search to yourself and try to understand others not as you did : Talking about music that you don't listened to that music or listened iTunes samples!!!
I'm sure you try to attack to me harder but I don't care about that. I like youths and I know they have more energy (as you) than me. Thanks 

Date Posted: October 16 2015 at 11:33
^ Look, I did not mean to insult you, OK? This is just another one of those Internet moments where a person invests himself way too much emotionally into an innocuous argument and perceives something as a personal attack. That's all I'm saying. If you don't want to have an intelligent discussion but merely let yourself be so easily offended, then you can tell me to stop.

The only way I can understand you is if you can clearly state your opinion in English. Case in point:

You assign your impressions to me then attack to them as my opinion!!
There. It makes no sense. What impressions? What attacks? What does it mean "to attack to an impression"? Makes no sense in English, the language you are writing in. A misunderstanding is just something a lot of us have to deal with. The only two reasonable options I can think of (for you and me) are 1) leave it alone or 2) try and find the source of the problem and be a part of a solution, not a part of another problem.

A normal conversation is just something a lot of us have to work on, especially on the Internet. But if you read too much into what I wrote, there is nothing I can do about it.

You said In this case... Are you dictionary? Who can talk about words means in different cases? You?! I don't think so. Please don't try to correct me and let me to write incorrect.
I don't understand what you are saying in a language I, as an ESL (English as Second Language) speaker, studied since I was wearing kiddy pajamas. Are you saying that we collectively as the forum community should be allowed to misinterpret everything you say?

Come to think of it, I actually regret writing that big threefold reply.

Date Posted: October 16 2015 at 11:44

^ Look, I did not mean to insult you, OK? This is just another one of those Internet moments where a person invests himself way too much emotionally into an innocuous argument and perceives something as a personal attack. The only way I can understand you is if you can clearly state your opinion in English. That's all I'm saying. If you don't want to have an intelligent discussion but merely let yourself be so easily offended, then you can tell me to stop.
Hi. I am very happy to see you right now. Thanks for your polite reply. Honestly I like you. You make me to re-acting. I don't had good days and I'm so bored and sad. We can continue this discuss. But we can use "better" words. I don't want to advice. I have a daughter in your age and I discuss with her about music everyday and she hate "Advices". As you said my English is not good and I must try to learn more and more and I need help to improve that. This is my chance that you are online. ThanksThumbs Up

Date Posted: October 16 2015 at 11:48
^ There you go. That's the spirit. Thumbs Up But I must admit I'm already burnt out, especially since I'm going through some bad bouts myself, so I think I'll just stop. At least for now.

Date Posted: October 16 2015 at 11:50
As I said, I love Breathless, but haven't heard them all, so no vote.

Date Posted: October 16 2015 at 12:05
"Breathless" is a different album (IMO) in Camel's Career. I recommend "Rajaz" and "Harbour of Tears" to you (if you didn't listen to them) and "Mirage" in older albums. If you start with "Breathless" , this is not a good start if you like to know Camel music (I used many IF!!!). I don't know your taste but I stand on my recommendations !!!

Date Posted: October 16 2015 at 12:34
^ I think I started with ... The Snow Goose, then moved on to Mirage and Moonmadness, but that holy trinity did not do much for me. Believe me, I tried. Many times. You can go on my Last.fm profile. I admit, and unabashedly so, that I just loved the way Camel handled the pop/disco elements (in their own way!) on Breathless, especially Andy and Pete.

I appreciate your recommendations, although my tastes are very specific. I try to tread carefully. I like individual tracks on some of the albums I've heard (like "Elke" on Rain Dances). But hey, (1) since so many people raved about "Ice", which I grew to love (as I did most of the album it's on), and (2) so many people rave about "For Today" on A Nod And A Wink, then I just might check out "For Today", and maybe the rest of the album.

Perhaps I take myself a bit too seriously when it comes to music and music discoveries.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: October 16 2015 at 14:04
No surprise that it's a toss up between Mirage and Moonmadness......I went with Moon but next week I might say Mirage. 
I turned my brother onto Mirage about a year  before he passed away. Even though he and I have been listening to prog since '69, he never really got into Camel these last 40 years.  He liked it quite a bit.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: October 17 2015 at 17:42

^ I think I started with ... The Snow Goose, then moved on to Mirage and Moonmadness, but that holy trinity did not do much for me. Believe me, I tried. Many times. You can go on my Last.fm profile. I admit, and unabashedly so, that I just loved the way Camel handled the pop/disco elements (in their own way!) on Breathless, especially Andy and Pete.

I appreciate your recommendations, although my tastes are very specific. I try to tread carefully. I like individual tracks on some of the albums I've heard (like "Elke" on Rain Dances). But hey, (1) since so many people raved about "Ice", which I grew to love (as I did most of the album it's on), and (2) so many people rave about "For Today" on A Nod And A Wink, then I just might check out "For Today", and maybe the rest of the album.

Perhaps I take myself a bit too seriously when it comes to music and music discoveries.
Hi. The Snow Goose is a Exact Masterpiece and 5/5 rate (IMO). This is a great start.The"Start Album" of a band or musician is very important (IMO). Now I talk about my experience : The first Glass Hammer album that I listened is "Chronometree" . This catch me from first listen and made me to try hard to find their albums. I found "Shadiwlands" and "Lex Rex" . "Shadowlands" is a great album in Symphonic Prog style BUT "Lex Rex" is a different album. This is a Folk album and very different. After first listened , I doubt about that and I said to myself : " No! this isn't Glass Hammer album. I buy a FAKE album and waste my money!" . After few days I found that "Lex Rex" is a G.H album but very different album!!!
If I start with "Lex Rex" , I never follow Glass Hammer albums and I didn't pay for them. Believe me, Start album is very important . I wish you understand me completely. 

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: October 17 2015 at 18:36
Moonmadness, not the best

THE ONLY ONE WORTH LISTENING

-------------

Date Posted: October 18 2015 at 09:57
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Hi Ivan. Great "Clear and Honest" opinion. Honestly it's shock me!!! I know you and I believe : You have good reasons for your comments and I know you as a Symphonic Prog Specialist. If you like and you have time, Please talk about Camel and why you don't like (I use mellow words: Don't Like! ) Camel. You used "WORTH" for ONLY one album and Its show me you think another albums is UN-WORTH (or worthless or...) to listen.

Posted By: MFP
Date Posted: October 18 2015 at 17:43
My favorite is the live version of the Snow Goose from A Live Record.
Monnmadness from the studio albums.

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: October 18 2015 at 22:42

Hi Ivan. Great "Clear and Honest" opinion. Honestly it's shock me!!! I know you and I believe : You have good reasons for your comments and I know you as a Symphonic Prog Specialist. If you like and you have time, Please talk about Camel and why you don't like (I use mellow words: Don't Like! ) Camel. You used "WORTH" for ONLY one album and Its show me you think another albums is UN-WORTH (or worthless or...) to listen.

Simple, lack of strength, makes me want to sleep, sounds monotonous and soporiferous.

I tried to like CAMEL, even bought the Footage Blu-Ray collection, and have their first five albums, didn't sold them, because I never get rid of my LP's and CD's, but they bore me terribly.

Moonmadness is a great album,. the others are just boring.

-------------

Date Posted: October 19 2015 at 16:18

Simple, lack of strength, makes me want to sleep, sounds monotonous and soporiferous.

I tried to like CAMEL, even bought the Footage Blu-Ray collection, and have their first five albums, didn't sold them, because I never get rid of my LP's and CD's, but they bore me terribly.

Moonmadness is a great album,. the others are just boring.

Thank you for reply. Honestly I love Camel and I am their fan but I know some of their albums and tracks are really weak. I can't discuss with you because of your answer. Thanks again.

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: October 19 2015 at 22:05

I've grown to enjoy Breathless a great deal, particularly side 1.  I always really liked "I can see your house.."
Just wondering if you've tried "Stationary Traveller".  Very 1980s sound but like an appealing fusion of prog and new wave.  To me the tracks just fit together brilliantly

Date Posted: October 20 2015 at 00:05
^ I quite liked some of the tracks on it, though I don't think I've heard all of the album. This might be remedied in the future.

Date Posted: October 20 2015 at 11:00
Stationary is great. One of the best album from Prog Rock 70's bands in 80's (IMO). I like all tracks of this album.

Posted By: Magnum Vaeltaja
Date Posted: October 25 2015 at 17:07
If I was to vote I'd go with Mirage. That and Moonmadness are both masterpieces but Mirage is consistently stronger throughout. Rajaz would be my underdog choice.

Posted By: DontPanic2088
Date Posted: October 30 2015 at 14:49
This is blasphemous! Its like asking someone which of your kids if the favorite.

Posted By: Cambus741
Date Posted: October 30 2015 at 15:14
I've just discovered this thread and it turns out that I can't vote in it. (why) but I noticed that my favourite (Dust and Dreams) got no votes

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: October 30 2015 at 15:17
Originally posted by Cambus741 Cambus741 wrote:

I've just discovered this thread and it turns out that I can't vote in it. (why) but I noticed that my favourite (Dust and Dreams) got no votes
It's the only album that I've never been able to dig into. It's surely better than the poor "The Single Factor", but betwen the two, is more likely that I listen to the second. I don't know why..

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: martinprog77
Date Posted: October 31 2015 at 03:37
today is rajaz

-------------
Nothing can last
there are no second chances.
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

Posted By: Philip
Date Posted: November 03 2015 at 08:43
The Snow Goose. I had it recorded on a cassette, but I found it some years ago in LP, and bought it immediately.

-------------
http://www.musical--box.blogspot.com" rel="nofollow - My Blog (in Portuguese)

Posted By: martinprog77
Date Posted: November 03 2015 at 21:59
speaking of the snow goose ,i just get the 2013 version and  honestly is a carbon copy from the original

anyways the best version is in  ''a live record'' .much better that the original

-------------
Nothing can last
there are no second chances.
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

Posted By: addictedtoprog
Date Posted: November 04 2015 at 00:19
'Mirage' is beautiful.

Posted By: dr prog
Date Posted: November 04 2015 at 02:54
Moon, Rain and Camel are fine albums. Mirage has 2 cool tracks. Nimrodel and Supertwister.
Lady fantasy and Freefall are 2 of Camels weakest tracks of the 70s. They just sound so standard rock in parts

-------------
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.

Posted By: addictedtoprog
Date Posted: November 04 2015 at 03:30
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Lady fantasy and Freefall are 2 of Camels weakest tracks of the 70s. They just sound so standard rock in parts</span>

Date Posted: November 04 2015 at 10:00
Don't have The Snow Goose but do have A Live Record. The latter is a livelier version, but the studio album is an epic in its own right. I do need to hear it again after all these years (and to complete my collection of Camel studio albums). I'm sure all of you care.

-------------

Date Posted: November 04 2015 at 10:03
Its very interesting. Mirage , The Snow goose and Moonmadness have over 75% of votes and the Album befor "Mirage" and The album after "Moonmadness" have 5 & 4 votes. I mean votes strart by 5 for debut album and after that go to 26 ,18 , 26 and drop to 4 for "Rain dances". Can you trust to these numbers? I mean if I analysis these numbers , This show me that quality of "Mirage" is very better! than "Camel(debut album)" or "Moonmadness" is very better! Album than "Rain Dances" . My personal opinion is "Moonmadness" better than "Rain Dances" but not with this "Distance". Not 26 to 4 !!!

Posted By: charles_ryder
Date Posted: February 16 2016 at 12:48

My personal opinion is "Moonmadness" better than "Rain Dances" but not with this "Distance". Not 26 to 4 !!!

Oh, "Moonmadness" is a great album, but my opinion is "Rain Dances" better.

-------------
om mani padme hum

Posted By: Modrigue
Date Posted: June 07 2016 at 06:52
Mirage for me

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqf2srRfppHAslEmHBn8QP6d_eoanh0eW" rel="nofollow - My compositions

Posted By: Arkenstone
Date Posted: June 07 2016 at 07:59

I would go with the snow goose.

Posted By: DeadSouls
Date Posted: June 07 2016 at 08:05
Mirage followed by Camel.

Posted By: ALotOfBottle
Date Posted: June 07 2016 at 09:53
1. Mirage
2. Snow Goose
3. Self-titled
4. Moonmadness
5. Rajaz

-------------
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.

Posted By: The Jester
Date Posted: June 10 2016 at 03:43
1. Moonmadness (I voted for this one)
2. Mirage
3. The Snow Goose (The Original one)
4. Rajaz
5. Stationary Traveller

-------------
If anybody wants please visit: http://www.gfreedomathina.blogspot.com/

This is my Blog mostly about Rock music, but also a few other things as well.

You are most welcome!

Thank you. :)

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk