URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=104582
Printed Date: March 19 2024 at 01:13
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Pascal's Prog Journey
Posted By: DDPascalDD
Subject: Pascal's Prog Journey
Date Posted: October 29 2015 at 14:26
Hello all,

In this blog I'll keep track of how I'm digging deeper and deeper into the prog scene. When writing this I haven't done that much and I'm trying to gain a lot of more experience in prog and so get more inspiration from it for any musical things I do.

Short history of how I found prog:
Almost a year ago I had a noticeable conversation with a friend about music which we do quite often (still) about this legendary group known as The Floyd. We both haven't really heard any music from them and we'd like to explore this. I began with the later albums, which was after all a good choice maybe, and with a background of some classical music and Coldplay (not much more really) really liked The Division Bell and especcially High Hopes and Marooned. Of course I began exploring more and more, getting to know a bit what progressive rock was. I liked it so much (unfortunately in contrast with my friend) that I began exploring a bit of Yes and Genesis and some more stuff. And there I am!

Albums I've done so far + a rough rating: (in order of first listen date to just discovered but listed per band)

"Old/classic" list:
-The Dark Side Of The Moon [8]
-Wish You Were Here [7.5]
-Meddle [8]
-Animals [8.5]
-Atom Heart Mother [8]
-The Wall [6.5]
-A Momentary Lapse Of Reason [6]
(There are some albums like the early stuff I could never get into but have tried)

Solo albums:
-On An Island [6.5]
(partly done: Amused to Death)

-Tales From Topographic Oceans [9.5]
-Drama [8]
-Going for the One [8.5]
-The Yes Album [8]
-Relayer [8.5]

-The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway [6.5]

-Hemispheres [8.5]

-Larks' Tongues In Aspic [9.5]
-Islands [8.5]
-Discipline [8]
-Starless And Bible Back [8.5]
-Lizard [7.5]
-In The Wake Of Poseidon [6]
-The Power To Believe [7]

-Black Clouds & Silver Linings [7]

-Trilogy: [9.5]
-Brain Salad Surgery: [8.5]
-Pictures At An Exhibition [8]

-Three Friends [9]
-Octopus [9.5]
-In A Glass House [8.5]
-The Power And The Glory [8.5]
-Free Hand [7.5]
-Interview [8.5]

So what I will try to do is completing my partly done albums and then maybe taking albums from the PA top 100 albums list and give my opinion on it and maybe asking some things. maybe if I happen to experience something else I could put it here if it's interesting.

Any thoughts, suggestions, critical notes, compliments, recommendations? 

-------------
https://pascalvandendool.bandcamp.com/album/a-moment-of-thought" rel="nofollow - New album! "A Moment of Thought"

Replies:
Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: October 30 2015 at 08:18
With a background of classical music, I thought you would enjoy AHM more. It's my favourite Floyd album Smile

Since you still know some albums I'd also recommend going through PA's top 100, it has some genre variety and will help you find what you really like. That's how I started anyway, and also how I found Italian Prog Approve

Date Posted: October 30 2015 at 09:12
Yes thanks, you're right there!
As for AHM I like the suite very much at certain points, though it has really weak spots like on 15:30. And the second side isn't that amazing IMHO, only Summer '68 is one I can really enjoy listening.

-------------
https://pascalvandendool.bandcamp.com/album/a-moment-of-thought" rel="nofollow - New album! "A Moment of Thought"

Date Posted: October 30 2015 at 09:36
The psychedelic middle section, I used to hate it at first but I love it now. I really enjoy Ummagumma these days, so I can handle their weird stuff easily Tongue Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast is my favourite track on side B.

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: October 30 2015 at 11:29
Nice blog Pascal.......I work with a guy named Pascal, but he is much older than 15, although he acts like he is 10 LOL.
He is more into metal like Iron Maiden, Scorpions and AC/DC, traditional stuff.....We went to the Scorpions concert couple weeks ago. Slowly I am introducing him to prog metal, which he likes....but at his pace, I am not one to force something on anyone..suggestions is different.

You sound like me when I was about 10-12yrs old, starting to explore prog after really enjoying Rush Fly By Night and Caress of Steel....What I always enjoyed about prog was the longer songs and the structures. I was really into funk music from Parliament and Funkadelic, Earth Wind & Fire..that genre pushed me to prog.

-------------

Posted By: Pastmaster
Date Posted: October 30 2015 at 11:49
Since you grew up with classical music, check out Renaissance. Especially the albums 'Prologue' and 'Scheherazade'.  

Date Posted: October 30 2015 at 12:09
Thanks for the response guys!
By the way grew up with classical music is a bit exaggerated, for my piano lessons I've mostly played classical (still) but listen to it  not very often although I can enjoy it. 

-
Also I just listened to Going for the One album in its entirety. Starting with the song Going For the One was ok, nice beginning and end. Maybe I’ll get more into it after some listens.

Some more quiet and peaceful is perfect at this place at Turn of the Century. Later on it gets really interesting around 4 minutes and eventually gets me even more.

Then Parallels came, what a treat. Exactly the beginning I like and all the rest too (obviously)!

Nice Wonderous sounds followed, which makes me turning the LP to listen the masterpiece I had already heard some times. Awaken is one of my favourites ever!

I got the feeling this album will stay with me for a long time ;D

-------------

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: October 30 2015 at 12:14
so far you are trotting down the main road of prog. but the real jewels are off that main road

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: October 30 2015 at 12:35
Wow Pascal, didn't know you were so young. Nice job with the blog. 

As a major advocate of modern (prog) music, I'd love hearing about the recent albums that you've loved. 

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: Otto9999
Date Posted: October 30 2015 at 12:39

Removed due to PA's deliberated act of deleting threads as alleged featuring negative behaviour posts towards others.

Date Posted: October 30 2015 at 12:50
two of the albums I meant:

Mother Gong - Fairy Tales

Nik Turner - Xitintoday

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: October 30 2015 at 13:22
There you have it... I read this and thought, hey, this will be fun to follow. I also toyed around with the idea of recommending some things to you, but then I wondered whether you'll be swamped by recommendations. I think I won't contribute to this for the moment and just encourage you to follow your own instincts.
When I was your age, I went to fleamarkets a lot to buy used LPs. There were some things I really wanted to have (I had read a fair amount of critics to make decisions, at the time there wasn't an internet on which I could test-listen to everything), but some I bought just because they were cheap, I liked the cover and only had a rough idea that the style may be OK for me; some jewels were there to be found by accident. Good luck!

Posted By: sublime220
Date Posted: October 30 2015 at 13:31
My guess is, as soon as Larks' comes to you, your world will open up with experimental and avant-garde stuff. At least that was my gateway when I was fifteen, and I listened to all the albums you've stated.

-------------
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...

Date Posted: October 30 2015 at 15:22
So many input indeed, I think I'll listen a bit more "classic" prog to have a kind of stronger base and then try some other genres like italian, avant-garde, etc.

-------------

Date Posted: October 30 2015 at 20:21
I agree Pascal...keep down the "classical prog" path and see where that leads you...also agree that when you get to KC~Larks you will find the path will veer a bit due to the experimental nature of KC.

It took me years to appreciate KC..I have yet to really enjoy material by Gong for example...I may never, but that is the beauty of music.

-------------

Posted By: BaldFriede
Date Posted: October 31 2015 at 07:10
Why stay on the path through the forest if you can pick a beautiful flower or a mushroom that grows a bit off that path? True, the flower may turn out to be malodorous (the album is not to your taste) or the mushroom to be poisonous (the album really is bad), but that is part of the beauty of the adventure of exploring.

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Date Posted: October 31 2015 at 08:24
Because if you want to join the discussion on PA, you've got to know the path by heart. That's what I experienced. Not a bad side of this place but you have to know something about prog to join the discussion here. 
In addition, I still find jewels everytime. Albums which are rated as top albums don't have their status because there are many better albums.

Of course one will find it's own style, but it needs some time and experience. Look at my album list, I hardly know what prog is for one year!

-------------

Date Posted: October 31 2015 at 08:54
Originally posted by DDPascalDD DDPascalDD wrote:

Albums which are rated as top albums don't have their status because there are many better albums.

I disagree. It simply means they are to the taste of many on this site. However, many may not know these albums in the first place. And then there is a kind of mainstream of prog, both on the artists and the listeners side, which by definition many users of this forum belong to (else it would not be the mainstream). However, beauty often lies outside of the mainstream, just like you won't often find an exotic beautiful woman in your surroundings.

-------------

Date Posted: October 31 2015 at 19:56
My wife is a beautiful exotic woman from New Orleans, a Cajun Coon A$$...I found her in high school...Pretty mainstream place to me. Big smile 

-------------

Date Posted: November 02 2015 at 11:10
I'm really blown away by Yes' Drama! I expected not too much but what an astonishing sound, so creative and so much layers and sounds. Machine Messiah and Into the Lens are my favourites. I think I'll give this one an 8.5, a little less than Fragile and the same as Meddle is my opninion as you can see.

Next I'll be to In the Court of the Crimson King and Going for the One. For ITCOTCK I'm not sure I'll like it a lot but I'll definitely like GFTO, just a few listens to give my final opinion.

-------------

Date Posted: November 02 2015 at 11:21
I still don't know Drama, I only bought Tormato a few weeks ago.

If you don't like KC's first album don't give up on them, every album is very different. Oh, and I think you'll learn eventually there are no final opinions about music Tongue

Date Posted: November 02 2015 at 11:28
well, when you move on to "In the court of the Crimson King" don't be discouraged by "Moonchild". opinions on that track vary greatly. BaldFriede (my spouse) and I belong to the small fraction of people who love that track

-------------

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: November 02 2015 at 11:36
Just glad to see young people continue to enjoy this music.

When you feel like you're ready for new adventures, try Gentle Giant and Van der Graaf Generator.

Date Posted: November 02 2015 at 11:43
Yes I'd like to try that too, names I see passing all the time. Also Jethro Tull TAAB is on my list.

-------------

Date Posted: November 02 2015 at 12:10
you should eventually travel into the adventurous country of Krautrock as well; some Krautrock artists are listed under "Electronic" because early Krautrock dabbled a lot in this.

albums like "Känguru" by Guru Guru, "Phallus Dei","Yeti" and"Tanz der Lemminge" by Amon Düül 2, "Schwingungen" or "Join Inn" by Ash Ra Tempel, "Phaedra" by Tangerine Dream or "Hoodoo Man" by Birth Control or Faust's self-titled first album will show you what an extremely varied genre Krautrock actually is.

but a word of warning ahead: this journey is really for the advanced listener. early Krautrock is often very experimental

-------------

Date Posted: November 02 2015 at 12:12
^ If he doesn't like the early Pink Floyd music, he will probably find Krautrock way too strange Tongue

Date Posted: November 02 2015 at 12:17
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^ If he doesn't like the early Pink Floyd music, he will probably find Krautrock way too strange Tongue

agreed. and Krautrock can be a lot stranger than early Pink Floyd

-------------

Date Posted: November 02 2015 at 12:32

I'm really blown away by Yes' Drama! I expected not too much but what an astonishing sound, so creative and so much layers and sounds. Machine Messiah and Into the Lens are my favourites. I think I'll give this one an 8.5, a little less than Fragile and the same as Meddle is my opninion as you can see.

Nice to see that you enjoyed Drama, one of my favorite Yes albums and one of their most underrated. The crushing opening riff in Machine Messiah is easily the heaviest thing Yes has ever done.

Date Posted: November 02 2015 at 13:50
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

agreed. and Krautrock can be a lot stranger than early Pink Floyd

So true...I have been really into CAN of late. Like KC, I am starting to really appreciate what CAN was doing. I would have to say I prefer CAN over KC....The music, lyrics, the jazz, the funk, the psychedelic of CAN is very appealing.

Strange music not for the faint of heart....LOL

-------------

Date Posted: November 02 2015 at 13:55
^ And even Can is quite accessible compared to many Krautrock bands Tongue

Date Posted: November 02 2015 at 14:36
^ I agree Sam....

-------------

Date Posted: November 02 2015 at 14:43
a few examples of Krautrock. mark that these examples give an impression but are in no way representative for Krautrock because it is an extremely varied genre. also mark that for someone who starts his journey into prog like you this may be a little too much to take

-------------

Date Posted: November 02 2015 at 15:27
I think I'll try that tomorrow! No idea what I'll think about it, but though my main problem with early Floyd was that it was too... well dark. But it's been a long time listening to it so I may appreciate it more now, though krautrock first now! Big smile

-------------

Date Posted: November 02 2015 at 16:00
the tracks of Amon Düül 2 and Tangerine Dream are quite dark. the Amon Düül 2 song is about a mad child molester. these are the translated lyrics:

child molester:

"You let the children come to me,
in white gowns and with flowers in their hair,
I took away their virginity,
can't tell you how wonderful it was"

angry crowd:

"serve the good, the beautiful, the true,
whip him, he already quivers for it.
let him feel the sweet torment,
he craves so much for shame and dishonor
yes"

child molester:

"we danced ring around the rosy together
and sang a wonderful song.
the smallest one began crying for her mother,
I softly speared her with my member"

angry crowd:

"come thee all and look at him,
his head shaved bald and still he smiles.
let's get to work, it's easily done,
hang him, that lusty Moloch,
yes"

some extreme lyrics indeed

-------------

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: November 02 2015 at 17:13
I'm not a big Krautrock fan but ADII is very solid.  Phallus Dei, Yeti, Tanz der Lemminge, and Wolf City are all excellent and worth checking out.

Date Posted: November 03 2015 at 12:00

Also Jethro Tull TAAB is on my list.

My second favourite album of all time and the best song of all time. This is the epitome of prog., and I know most will agree with me.

-------------

Date Posted: November 03 2015 at 14:19
I gave krautrock a real try, but I'm sorry, it's not something I want to listen a lot. But thanks for the effort! 
I'm getting some more into classical music too today, Mozart's 40 really inspired me in the epic I'm starting to make.

-------------

Date Posted: November 03 2015 at 14:57
^You will get to it eventually. Nobody expects you to get it on the first try. I used to find bands like Faust and Can annoying but now both have an album in my top ten,

-------------

Date Posted: November 03 2015 at 15:02
Don't give up om Krautrock so quickly. It is not an easy genre to get into in the beginning.

But you might like Amon Düül 2's "Wolf City" or "Vive la Trance"; they are not so difficult to get into. They are still a bit strange, but not THAT strange.

-------------

Date Posted: November 06 2015 at 05:17
I've listened it. Again. Again. 
And it does nothing to me. Just like anything too experimental, I like new innovative things but it has to be more creativeness in melody, chords and form rather than sound(effects) according to my taste. Yes of course its melody and chords are progressive too, but for me it's (indeed) too weird.
There is nothing in me wanting to really do this yet.

It's not bad music or something, I certainly understand you listening to it, but not my taste at all.

-------------

Date Posted: November 06 2015 at 05:22
I don't know what was the idea of recommending Krautrock to you, it seemed clear you wouldn't like it Ermm I only started liking the genre last year.

Date Posted: November 06 2015 at 06:29
Well, Jean and i both liked it from the very start. But we were admittedly kids then and did not know each other yet. Actually Krautrock was the first prog we came in contact with.

-------------

Date Posted: November 06 2015 at 07:38
But matters not that much, I just tried it and now go on with something different.
I'm definitely not negative about the try, but about the music.

-------------

Date Posted: November 06 2015 at 08:15
Don't rule out the genre though, you might not like it today, but later it can all make sense and you start enjoying it. That happened to me with Krautrock and Neo-Prog for example and that's why I keep trying to get into VdGG Wacko If you find it dark, you can probably give Popol Vuh a try, it's the light side of Krautrock Smile

Date Posted: November 06 2015 at 08:31
I know, of course my taste can change over time, but I have the strong desire to now get to know more " "mainstream" " prog

-------------

Date Posted: November 06 2015 at 08:36
Listen to this beauty if you haven't then Big smile

Date Posted: November 06 2015 at 08:43
Hey Pascal, check out my new top ten and the list that I provided has the usual ten of the mainstream prog artists. I'll list the albums that will be the easiest to get into them. However, they may not be the best.

Floyd - Don't really need to do this. You're good there.
Genesis - Selling England By The Pound
Yes - The Yes Album
King Crimson - In The Court
ELP - ELP
Jethro Tull - Aqualung
VdGG - H To He, Who Am The Only One
Gentle Giant - Octopus
Camel - Mirage
Rush - Moving Pictures

-------------

Date Posted: November 06 2015 at 08:55
Thanks both of you for the interest! I guess I'll have enough to listen, as I knew actually. Though my list is quite the same probably. Only I've done SEBTP, maybe you mean The Lamb?

-------------

Date Posted: November 06 2015 at 09:01
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Well, Jean and i both liked it from the very start. But we were admittedly kids then and did not know each other yet. Actually Krautrock was the first prog we came in contact with.
That's nice, and uncommon. Progressive Electronic was the first genre I listened to, my father had some interesting tapes and CD's Smile I rediscovered the genre more recently though, and started listening to much darker music Wink

Date Posted: November 06 2015 at 15:30

Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

That's nice, and uncommon. Progressive Electronic was the first genre I listened to, my father had some interesting tapes and CD's Smile I rediscovered the genre more recently though, and started listening to much darker music Wink

I came in contact with it via my older brother. He is 10 years older than I am, and I idolized him when I was a little kid. He was the favourite of my three siblings. I loved hearing all these strange noises from his room, and I even hung around in his room when he was in his room with his friends smoking hashish. I probably got stoned as well, though the reefer, bong or hookah was never passed to me. They listened to some other stuff as well; I remember the quiet part in the live version of "The Knife" by Genesis especially thrilled me. I loved what Steve Hackett did with his guitar there. What wonderfully weird sounds to a little girl like me!

-------------

Date Posted: November 06 2015 at 15:45
Somehow I remember the story you just wrote...

-------------

Date Posted: November 06 2015 at 15:49
Yes, I think I told it before, though I don't remember when.

-------------

Date Posted: November 06 2015 at 16:03
I came in contact with it because my parents were hippies and listened to prog, especially Krautrock. they had a friend who was stationed in Germany (I am originally from the USA). he sent them all these records. funnily I was probably also stoned a lot during my childhood. it was unavoidable with all these billows of sweet smoke hovering in the air. they also listened to bands like Grateful Dead or Jefferson Airplane.

I came to Germany in 1993 when i was 24 and met Friede on business then. the story of our first meeting is actually quite funny

-------------

Date Posted: November 07 2015 at 12:22

Listen to this beauty if you haven't then Big smile

It is indeed a beauty! Clap

-------------

Date Posted: November 07 2015 at 12:43
^ I told you Wink It will keep getting better and better Big smile

Date Posted: November 08 2015 at 10:29
Meanwhile I've listened to ITCOTCK some times. I like some spots very much and the bad quality makes it some more charming, interesting. To my liking it's a bit too repetitious at certain points, but it's all done with a lot of feeling and emotion which really takes you (or me). 
Moonchild. That was an experience never to be forgotten acually. No, you're right, it's very weird indeed and I won't listen to it fully a lot of times but after so much random things without any direction any recogniseable melody is beautiful, every chord is nice to hear. After it, I put my headphones off and smiled. Staring at the skies and just enjoyed being, I enjoyed existing. For a few minutes I enjoyed living, without thinking or doing anything. A restful peace visited my mind.

(Okay maybe a bit exaggerated, but not too much actually!)

-------------

Date Posted: November 08 2015 at 12:06
Well, Jean and I love listening to "Moonchild". The "weird" part is in our opinion an attempt to capture the song lyrics in sound. There are several parts which are clearly recognizable, like for example "dropping circle stones on a sundial" or "playing hide and seek with the ghosts of dawn".

But it was very brave of you to listen to it as a beginner, so you have to be complimented.

-------------

Date Posted: November 09 2015 at 14:48
Short list update:
King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King [8,0]
Yes - Going for the One [8,5]
Oh and Selling England has grown a little more on me, from 7,5 to 8 now.

-------------

Date Posted: November 09 2015 at 19:05

Moonchild. That was an experience never to be forgotten actually. No, you're right, it's very weird indeed and I won't listen to it fully a lot of times but after so much random things without any direction any recognisable melody is beautiful, every chord is nice to hear. After it, I put my headphones off and smiled. Staring at the skies and just enjoyed being, I enjoyed existing. For a few minutes I enjoyed living, without thinking or doing anything. A restful peace visited my mind.
We basically had the exact same experience. If there was one feeling I could relive again, it would be discovering Foxtrot, CTTE, and ITCOTCK all on the same day.

-------------

Date Posted: November 15 2015 at 11:00
I was thinking what I could post, as I wanted to write something here, but last month or so I've done so much albums, I don't have a lot of motivation to listen new albums somehow. The latest albums I did I can still hear so many times that I have enough doing that.

On another note, what I just realised was that my style is changed so much actually! I was listening to Awaken somewhere after 3 minutes and thought: this is so beautiful! And right after it I thought what I would think about it two years ago. I could never have gotten into it I think.

-------------

Date Posted: December 10 2015 at 10:38
I have some new albums to add:

PFM - Per Un Amico. Such a beautiful album, though I miss something, it doesn't sound like something which I could make my own. I hope you understand what I mean. How it's is done though superior and with a lot of classical influences of course. Rating: 7.5

Rush - Moving Pictures. I love the sound, it's exactly what I was looking for about one year ago when I was out of Coldplay and didn't know what to listening next. There are no real weak spots on it either.
Though some songs seem not too complex and it isn't an album that I can listen too endlessly. So after all it'll be an "above-average" album, a little better than the average in my list on the OP. Rating: 7.5 too.

Also some changes to the ratings, most changing is Selling England which still grows on me a lot, from 8 to 9.5

-------------

Date Posted: December 29 2015 at 03:50
Because I like the two Genesis albums I know a lot I thought of doing The Lamb. The first CD is now quite familiar and looks like a development of Selling England, though I like it less somehow. Maybe I should just get into it more.

Also I tried something very different which I wanted to know, OK Computer by Radiohead, which is pretty good. Very different to what I've heard of prog so far but my rating will not be much lower I guess.

I tried Larks too... But still I can't get into this music, although ITCOTCK gets better and better for me, especcially 21st century.
Can someone recommend me a Crimson album which maybe suits my taste better? Maybe Red?

-------------

Date Posted: December 29 2015 at 04:08
^ I still can't get into The Lamb, after 4 or 5 spins. It has too much vocals and filler tracks, in my opinion.

I didn't like Larks at first listen either, but I learned to appreciate it, especially the two self-titled tracks. Red is from the same phase, but I think it's better. It has Starless, which is one of their best tracks ever Thumbs Up My favourite KC album is Lizard, but it also took me a while to get into it. I think ITCOTCK was the only I liked at first listen.

Date Posted: December 29 2015 at 04:35
Thanks, I'll try Red first then. Got enough to listen to now!

-------------

Date Posted: January 22 2016 at 11:20
I needed some time with my new Crimso album, Red, but man how that was worth it! Totally new style for me and I can listen to it a lot of times a day actually.
I think the opening song took me the longest, but I really learned to appreciate it, although IMO it's defenitely not the best of the album. It's all about that one listening when you get that feeling: "hey, actually it's pretty nice!" and then: "but it's exactly the same as I've heard already and I disliked it at first", it's almost a weird feeling, paradoxical.
Then I really need some singing - and the singing of King Crimson is so beautiful, just like the debut although it's another songer. I really like the contrast in Fallen Angel, the changes in the dynamics. One of my favourites.
One More Red Nightmare is quite nice qua form, but also brings the feeling of "just another such song".
I think you might understand that Providence is a song I can't understand. It's hard not to skip, really.
The ultimate masterpiece is indeed Starless. Very innovative and new. For my liking the guitar solo/build up could be a little shorter in length. But it's really overwhelming as a whole though.

I think a suitable rating is: 8.5

-------------

Date Posted: January 28 2016 at 06:21
A new album to add: Radiohead - OK Computer.
Although more experimental than progressive rock, it's a very nice album to listen to.
The sound is very unexpectable and sometimes beautifully big, like in The Tourist, one of my favourites. Paranoid Android is still my favourite and is as "good" as some of my favourite prog tracks, and beats some as well!
The differences in dynamics and sound makes it very interesting and less boring. Also it makes some parts a bit of an acquired taste.
Well, adding it all up it will be an 8,0 for today.

-------------

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: January 28 2016 at 06:39
I would recommend you try Kid A, the album Radiohead released after OK Computer. It's definitely their most prog-influenced effort, and the one prog fans tend to like best. Personally, I find it superior to OK Computer, but not because it's "proggier" (I hate that word!) - just because the music speaks to me more.

Date Posted: January 28 2016 at 07:25
Thanks, I'll defenitely give it a listen!

-------------

Date Posted: January 28 2016 at 07:51
Nice to know you liked Red. "One More Red Nightmare" and "Providence" were also the tracks that took me more time to like. I see "Providence" as a reprise of "Moonchild" and I think it's a good change after all the intensity of the previous tracks. Besides, after that track comes "Starless" Approve Bill Bruford is just mind blowing on that record Clap

Date Posted: February 05 2016 at 08:41
Even Moonchild: The Illusion is growing on me! It makes sense when you take the lyrics into mind (indeed, like Jean and Friede thought): first dancing and dreaming, the short dreamy section after the singing. Then it gets some more strange: "talking to trees" and "Cobweb strange". Then with "Gathering flowers", some sounds begin likely to be associated with picking things up. Finally she's "playing hide and seek with the ghosts of dawn".
Basicly you experience the story in two ways, first lyrically and then musically.

Providence only has no lyrics, gotta work on that one Wink

-------------

Date Posted: February 14 2016 at 14:36
I think Kid A will take some time to grow on me. I've got two other albums which I really enjoy listening lately: Tubular Bells and Love Over Gold.
As for the latest, I'm surprised. First that Dire Straits made progressive rock in their early years. Secondly I'm very surprised that they don't even appear on PA! LOG is undoubtedly prog IMO.

-------------

Posted By: infocat
Date Posted: February 14 2016 at 22:32
Love Over Gold is pretty great, and has some proggy attributes, but I don't expect to see Dire Straits on PA any time soon.

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Date Posted: February 19 2016 at 09:21
I'll give the album Tubular Bells a rating of 8. Though it's nice and complicated, I miss something. Maybe I just don't like the sound, but I can enjoy other albums much more.
Then Love Over Gold is kind of the other way around. A better sound for my liking, but it seems a little less complicated. Which isn't always bad per se, but it causes me to not be able to listen it over and over again. I'll give it an 8 as well.

-------------

Date Posted: March 04 2016 at 08:57
I needed some time, but Kid A sets me in a even more relaxed mood than DSOTM ever did, especially with headphones. 
A very sophisticated album and very progressive and unique. I reward it with a 9.

-------------

Date Posted: March 08 2016 at 03:06
A new great album to add: Rush - Hemispheres. I already knew the epic which is one I can listen to endlessly, and the other 3 tracks are almost as great, I like the symphonic (at times almost classical) elements added to the album. Until now, this is my faourite Rush album, with a rating of: 9.

-------------

Date Posted: March 22 2016 at 12:04
Time to make the Yes list more complete with Relayer and The Yes Album. Both really great, I can listen to it endlessly! IMO Relayer is almost as good as CttE. The only part I don't enjoy a lot is Soon. But I prefer Sound Chaser to Siberian Khatru and And You And I, so I guess it's worth a 9.5.
I like the rock n roll and Beatles influence on The Yes Album. If I compare it to Fragile - being the other pre-CttE album - I think Fragile has a slight edge over the other, I'll rate it 8.5

-------------

Date Posted: April 21 2016 at 09:52
I've been looking for some time to what I want to listen to, I've tried multiple things, even Larks' but I'll give it a try later on I think, it really has yet to grow on me slowly...
Then I thought of something completely different, ELP. I find them superb. At least the things that I've got into and I'm curious if I can get into everything...

The thing that I'm surprised by is the sophistication of prog metal. I now know Images and Words and I really like to hear Rush and Bach influence in the same song and the "perfect" sound works for me though! Only personally I do prefer a symphonic sound over metal. 
So I find it a very great album, despite that it's not really my thing (yet) a real masterpiece: 9.

-------------

Posted By: ALotOfBottle
Date Posted: May 02 2016 at 08:29
If you are hip with classical-inspired prog that does not get too strange (Univers Zero, Art Zoyd) I would be delighted to recommend early Egg. You might just like something you find, if not, you will just have more listening experience. I aim to please. Smile

How do you like Gentle Giant? I think that might be something you will like.

Date Posted: May 07 2016 at 05:53
That piece from Egg is really okay, so I tried Polite Force which I didn't really like (at first listen). Maybe their debut is worth a shot then, and haven't tried Gentle Giant yet, seems to be quite an acquired taste. Wink

-
The other thing I'm working on is jazz/jrf. I really like Third Stream Music and I'm getting more and more into Miles' Kind of Blue, but Bitches Brew's sound is quite hard for me to keep listening to.

-
I'm also trying ELP and I adore their complexity and use of classical and jazz implementations. It's not too hard to get into and it bares a lot of listens I think.

-------------

Posted By: LittleBig
Date Posted: May 07 2016 at 07:59

That piece from Egg is really okay, so I tried Polite Force which I didn't really like (at first listen). Maybe their debut is worth a shot then, and haven't tried Gentle Giant yet, seems to be quite an acquired taste. Wink

-
The other thing I'm working on is jazz/jrf. I really like Third Stream Music and I'm getting more and more into Miles' Kind of Blue, but Bitches Brew's sound is quite hard for me to keep listening to.

-
I'm also trying ELP and I adore their complexity and use of classical and jazz implementations. It's not too hard to get into and it bares a lot of listens I think.

try The Soft Machine's self-titled (1968) and Volume Two (1969) Tongue
you might enjoy those Big smile

Posted By: LittleBig
Date Posted: May 07 2016 at 08:34
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

try The Soft Machine's self-titled (1968) and Volume Two (1969) Tongue
you might enjoy those Big smile

I consider myself a Canterbury Scene connoisseur and I absolutely hated Volume Two myself. And so did some of the other members. Others consider it one of Soft Machine's best works. All in all, it's probably a difficult work to get to and enjoy. Their debut however is another story. A phenomenal, phenomenal work! :)

I did not find Volume Two difficult at all, some of their more jazzier stuff is a lot more difficult, but not the first two albums.

Date Posted: May 13 2016 at 08:47
Last two weeks or so I've been listening a lot to what has become my second fovourite prog band, ELP. They implement classical influence in a very very sophisticated way, which they have really developed through their albums, and that's very nice to hear! My ratings:

Emerson, Lake & Palmer: 9
Tarkus: 9
Trilogy: 8.5
Brain Salad Surgery: 9.5

--
Btw, BSS is now my #1 album.

-------------

Date Posted: May 26 2016 at 11:00
Was some time ago so I updated my list at the OP. Some changes in the already added albums and a new album to add: Pink Floyd - A Momentary Lapse Of Reason. I preferred it to The Division Bell, although they could've done this album better. It has a more active sound with more tension compared to TDB, but it has a lot of filler IMHO. 
I rate it a 7.5.

-------------

Date Posted: May 26 2016 at 11:25

Last two weeks or so I've been listening a lot to what has become my second fovourite prog band, ELP. They implement classical influence in a very very sophisticated way, which they have really developed through their albums, and that's very nice to hear! My ratings:

Emerson, Lake & Palmer: 9
Tarkus: 9
Trilogy: 8.5
Brain Salad Surgery: 9.5

--
Btw, BSS is now my #1 album.

Interesting you like BSS. I have been really big on ELP for many months and despite liking the album, I felt like there was something kind of unpleasant and unsettling about it. It had great moments though.

I recently got a pristine copy of Emerson, Lake & Palmer debut album and rediscovered how great of an album it is.

How did you like Pictures At An Exhibition? This was one of my favorite ELP albums.

Date Posted: May 26 2016 at 13:27
^Haven't listened to that one actually, will try some time soon.

I like BSS so much because it implements classical influence in such a good way that it's almost going further on what classical composition started. For example the 2nd impression of Karn Evil uses the form of a Sonata but they expanded the devlopment in a very interesting way, which I actually have yet to analyse more fully.

-------------

Date Posted: May 27 2016 at 01:16

^Haven't listened to that one actually, will try some time soon.

I like BSS so much because it implements classical influence in such a good way that it's almost going further on what classical composition started. For example the 2nd impression of Karn Evil uses the form of a Sonata but they expanded the devlopment in a very interesting way, which I actually have yet to analyse more fully.

Yes, like you, I love classical influences in prog.

If we talk about progressive rock, there are actually two distinct schools of classical music influences. There is romantic and everything pre-romantic, so for example bands like ELP, Egg, King Crimson, Genesis, Gentle Giant to name a few. At the beggining of the 20th century (or even the end of 19th) came ideas of anti-romantic classical music. So, for example Arnold Schoenberg. This would be picked up by composers such as John Cage a few decades later and would create what we know as chance music. While romantic and pre-romantic classical music relies heavily on boosting imagination, in other words sounds portraying an unambiguos scene (a forest, a castle etc.), Cage thought to himself "Hmmm.... Why can't we associate one sound, or one passage with anything that sits in out heads?". The bands that often built on ideas of post-romantici classical music were Univers Zero, Art Zoyd or even Henry Cow and Art Bears. One composer that found himself on the edge of two schools was Igor Stravinsky (although he is more on the romantic side). Anyway, I hope you will understand what I've just said.

Karn 9 Evil seems to have the influence of late romantic composers (to me).

-------------
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.

Date Posted: May 27 2016 at 04:15
Yes, I just learned about modernistic music at school but I'm not into atonal music. I respect the part of breaking with the past and the rules but I can't enjoy the music.
Never heard of chance music, but I tend to prefer romantic and pre-romantic.
Is RIO also (all) based on post-romantic music? (Because you named Henry Cow, Art Zoyd etc.)

-------------

Date Posted: May 27 2016 at 04:58

Yes, I just learned about modernistic music at school but I'm not into atonal music. I respect the part of breaking with the past and the rules but I can't enjoy the music.
Never heard of chance music, but I tend to prefer romantic and pre-romantic.
Is RIO also (all) based on post-romantic music? (Because you named Henry Cow, Art Zoyd etc.)

Modernistic school is obviously more difficult. It would be hard for me to say which one I like better. Romantic and pre-romantic is certainly more enjoyable. But, that's a subjective matter, forged by culture.

As to your question - no, not all RIO is based on post-romantic. One RIO band that rarely uses influences of post-romantic music with their avant-garde quality being expressed through tounge-in-cheek arrangement is a Swedish band Sammla Mammas Manna.
They produced some accessible material that you might just like!

And here is a pretty comedic tune that I like. The rhythm really reminds me of Sabre Dance by Khachaturian.

-------------
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: May 27 2016 at 05:09
Hey Pascal seeing as you're from the land of Tulips; do you know your fellow countryman Christian Bruin? He is mostly known for his involvement in the band Sky Architect, but lately he has gone the symphonic route....big time! First with his solo project Chris (highly recommended) and later on with a project called http://theblackcodex.com/" rel="nofollow - The Black Codex , the latter being very close to a symphony with added rock orchestration. I think you'll dig him - highly melodic and no mad bits that you can't whistle along to:

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: May 29 2016 at 14:02
@ALotOfBottle: I quite liked the first Samla track, quite accessible indeed, but the second one was less to my liking at first spin.
I could give the album a try! 

@Guldbamsen: those two sound very interesting, but I think I need some time to get into it.

In general my plan is to finish off the big 6 and then move on to more avant-garde stuff or anything really different that I haven't tried yet, maybe krautrock, bands like Gentle Giant, VDGG, anything.

-------------

Date Posted: May 30 2016 at 01:43

@ALotOfBottle: I quite liked the first Samla track, quite accessible indeed, but the second one was less to my liking at first spin.

@Guldbamsen: those two sound very interesting, but I think I need some time to get into it.

In general my plan is to finish off the big 6 and then move on to more avant-garde stuff or anything really different that I haven't tried yet, maybe krautrock, bands like Gentle Giant, VDGG, anything.

Do you count Jethro Tull in to the big 6?

-------------

Date Posted: May 30 2016 at 02:16
I've never tried Jethro Tull, but in general the 'big 6' are Yes, ELP, Genesis, King Crimson, Pink Floyd and Jethro Tull (at least that's what I thought). But one defenitely doesn't have to agree.
Tull seems to be not too hard but has some very good albums every progger should know (at least TAAB and Aqualung).

-------------

Date Posted: May 30 2016 at 10:45

I've never tried Jethro Tull, but in general the 'big 6' are Yes, ELP, Genesis, King Crimson, Pink Floyd and Jethro Tull (at least that's what I thought). But one defenitely doesn't have to agree.
Tull seems to be not too hard but has some very good albums every progger should know (at least TAAB and Aqualung).

Minstrel in the Gallery is my favorite from them, the title track is the greatest combination of hard rock and folk I've ever heard.

Date Posted: May 30 2016 at 10:50

As to avant-garde stuff, I would discourage from starting with avant-prog and RIO right away.
How about building your way up with Canterbury scene? If not, than VDGG will be the best option for you.

-------------

Date Posted: May 30 2016 at 11:26
I understand your thinking Pascal - after all you're still a young kid with plenty of years ahead of you to dive even deeper into the pork world. I'm however not sure there ever was a concensus on who exactly the big 6 are
Floyd
Crimson
Yes
ELP
Gentle Giant
Camel
Rush
Zappa
Genesis
Van Damme Generator
Tull

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: May 30 2016 at 12:05
Hmmm... The only lists of big 6 I can find on the internet are those I mentioned...
Anyway, my aim was more to try something different, which could also be something different than avant. I also still have a lot of Crimson which could take quite some time LOL

-------------

Date Posted: May 30 2016 at 13:11
Yeah Crimson is almost endless when you start counting in their best work ie the live releases.

Regarding the "big 6": it is pure bullsh*t made up by fans of X bands....but can be quite helpful if one wants to start with the more wellknown acts before diving in at the deep end. Most older fans that come here laugh their collective arses off when folks start talking about the big 6. There was no such thing back then.

-------------

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: June 23 2016 at 07:41
Filling some gaps, which are all great albums. Two double albums, The Lamb from which I like some parts very much but it's very hard to listen in full if it draws to the end. But the best moments are of equal quality of Selling England. 
The other is Metropolis Pt. 2, which is quite the same story. Some parts are great, but I like this one consistently a little more, the only thing is that it goes on too long without changing at some points, which makes it a little boring, but overall it's got a lot of energy and amazing musicianship.
Also I've done Pictures At An Exhibition; making a rock impression of a classical work is a nice idea and they did it very well, but all their other albums were a more pleasant listen.

-------------

Date Posted: June 23 2016 at 08:35
^ The Lamb is an album that compromises the music because of the concept, in my opinion... just like The Wall Ermm

I always skip "Through Her Eyes", it's such a dreadful track Dead The album flows much better without it.

Date Posted: June 23 2016 at 08:39
Agreed with both. I guess they added Through Her Eyes for the listener to "rest the ear" from all the heavier parts, it's not a bad thing, but they could've done it much better.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk