Print Page | Close Window

styx or kansas ?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific prog albums
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=105266
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 22:08
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: styx or kansas ?
Posted By: grantman
Subject: styx or kansas ?
Date Posted: December 22 2015 at 17:10
The albums point of no return or the grand illusion were they works of prog or just American commercial radio play. if someone has an opinion whether good or bad if they see these two bands as prog related in any way like to know 

Replies:
Posted By: Pastmaster
Date Posted: December 22 2015 at 19:07
I like both bands and see both of them as prog. I really like Styx especially.

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: December 22 2015 at 19:18
The correct answer is neither

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: December 22 2015 at 19:28
Styx or Kansas? That's like being forced to choose between warts and bunions.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: emigre80
Date Posted: December 22 2015 at 19:40
both, as long as it's confined to the occasional song on the radio that you happen to be in the mood for.

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: December 22 2015 at 20:02

Cool

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: December 23 2015 at 00:17
Styx.
I like Kansas too, but I have waaaay more Styx LP's than Kansas.

Posted By: Polymorphia
Date Posted: December 23 2015 at 00:30
Don't care for either. I guess I prefer Kansas for their occasional good song.

-------------
https://dreamwindow.bandcamp.com/releases" rel="nofollow - My Music

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: December 23 2015 at 00:42
Kansas has more content

-------------

Posted By: TeleStrat
Date Posted: December 23 2015 at 00:47
I have always considered both bands to be equal and never favored one over the other.
On seventies vinyl I have eight albums by Styx and only five by Kansas but that's just the way it worked out. It didn't have anything to do with preference. 
I don't use Prog as a basis for liking or not liking a band.

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: December 23 2015 at 00:58
Love both bands

But whoever doesn't understand that Kansas is a full Prog band, is lost in space

Leftoverture is a masterpiece

-------------

Posted By: Frosted Celt
Date Posted: December 23 2015 at 03:32
Like some Styx but really like 70s era Kansas. And yes Kansas definitely was axprogressive rock band during that time period. Styx were a bit proggy during their beginning phase.

-------------

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: December 23 2015 at 04:14
I like Styx, but definitely not as much as Kansas.

-------------

Posted By: gr8dane
Date Posted: December 23 2015 at 06:59
Love both.I can do without Babe.

-------------
Shake & bake.

Posted By: emigre80
Date Posted: December 23 2015 at 07:14
Originally posted by gr8dane gr8dane wrote:

Love both.I can do without Babe.

awwwww - that song always chokes me up a little. for good reasons.

Posted By: Evolver
Date Posted: December 23 2015 at 10:05
Kansas had some great songs on each album through "Point Of Know Return".  After that, not much.

Styx has some okay songs early on, but never seemed to have their heart in prog.

-------------
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: December 23 2015 at 11:53
I'm sailing away to Kansas.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: TheH
Date Posted: December 23 2015 at 11:57
I will never understand why These two bands are always thrown into the same drawer.

My vote goes to (the fullblown Proggers) Kansas.

There is nothing wrong with (AOR band) Styx though.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: December 23 2015 at 13:53
Kansas over Styx ...no real comparison imho though Styx did write a few decent songs here and there.

Don't understand the dislike for Kansas...especially the first 4 or 5 albums ,but then I don't get all the love for some of the krautrock bands like Can and Faust.

A matter of taste I suppose in that those who don't like Kansas simply have none.
Wink

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: December 23 2015 at 14:04
I like the two big hits from each band Come Sail Away and Dust In The Wind (alright maybe Mr Roboto was a bigger hit but erm....yeah). Out of those two I rather prefer the Kansas tune.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: December 23 2015 at 14:16
For grantman....he might have missed this thread...Big smile
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=105224" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=105224

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: December 23 2015 at 15:22

Date Posted: December 23 2015 at 16:03
^ Hmm.......they sound like Kansas.....and is that guy on the telecaster  Dana Carvey...?

Wink

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: December 23 2015 at 16:48
^  I'm pretty sure Dana Carvey wishes he could play the guitar like Tommy Shaw. Big smile
Actually, the dual guitars of Tommy Shaw and James (JY) Young were what appealed to me about the band.

Posted By: Guitar Noir
Date Posted: December 29 2015 at 07:15
I am a fan of both bands.  Both had their progressive periods, Kansas more so.  With Kansas even on their more accessible releases there is still an undercurrent of prog.  For me Kansas' Point Of No Return and Audio-Visions and Styx's Grand Illusion are some of my favorite prog albums. 

-------------
"Sometimes the afterglow isn't enough and we have to move on." Steve Hackett

Posted By: RockHound
Date Posted: December 29 2015 at 08:23
I liked Styx about the time of Equinox and Crystal Ball, but they became too poppy for me around the time of The Grand Illusion. I saw them open their tour in Peoria around 1981, and they turned in an awful performance - apparently they were rusty. I caught them when they opened for Yes in Orange Beach a few years ago, and that iteration of the band put on a very good show, although I could have done without some of the later "hits."

Kansas had a great run from the first album through Point of Know Return, and I find their music holds up much better than Styx. I got to see them at the University of Alabama during their college tour a few years ago, and although Steve Walsh's voice isn't exactly at it's peak, they played very well and had a classic-dominated setliist that featured Magnum Opus and Song for America. They involved some of the music students in the show, which I thought was a great touch.

Posted By: A_Flower
Date Posted: December 29 2015 at 08:54
At this point, Kansas. I don't really know Styx. Maybe I should look into them more

-------------
User Banned for this Post

Date Posted: December 29 2015 at 10:21
kansas first 5 albums had the progressive vibe after kerry left, i think they went the commerical route maybe not their chosing record companies had them at their mercy, styx left prog or the original sound by kilroy was here i bgt it 3 ok songs, the others insipid i find

Date Posted: December 29 2015 at 11:34
Originally posted by A_Flower A_Flower wrote:

At this point, Kansas. I don't really know Styx. Maybe I should look into them more

I highly recommend their first 5 albums with original guitarist John Curulewski and The Grand Illusion and Pieces of Eight.

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: December 29 2015 at 18:20
Kansas up through Monolith were pretty great.

Styx was cool from Equinox to Pieces Of Eight.

Kansas: 6
Styx: 4

Kansas wins.

Date Posted: January 01 2016 at 19:28
I spun Cornerstone yesterday and I prefer it to Monolith !!

Posted By: TheLionOfPrague
Date Posted: January 01 2016 at 19:41
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Love both bands

But whoever doesn't understand that Kansas is a full Prog band, is lost in space

Leftoverture is a masterpiece

This. 

Kansas is one of the greatest bands of all time and Leftoverture isn't far behind Selling England, Close to the Edge or Dark Side.

-------------
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: January 02 2016 at 09:53

Love both bands

But whoever thinks that Kansas is a full Prog band, is lost in space

Leftoverture is an AOR masterpiece

LOL well said sir!! Wink

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: January 02 2016 at 13:26
^ You need to work on your reading comprehension......btw...Kansas is listed here as Symphonic Prog...but then these moderators here always get it wrong.

Wink

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: January 02 2016 at 16:23
So if Magnum Opus is an AOR song, then Sound Chaser is AOR too ??
I can agree that STYX is AOR with Prog flourishes, but Kansas are full-blown Prog with AOR flourishes
And I still dig Styx more.

Date Posted: January 02 2016 at 20:57
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Love both bands

Leftoverture is an AOR  a PROGRESSIVE ROCK masterpiece

LOL well said sir!! Wink

Now it's well said

-------------

Posted By: Metalmarsh89
Date Posted: January 02 2016 at 22:36
Both.

-------------
Want to play mafia? Visit http://www.mafiathesyndicate.com" rel="nofollow - here .

Date Posted: January 03 2016 at 07:35

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Love both bands

Leftoverture is an AOR  a PROGRESSIVE ROCK masterpiece

LOL well said sir!! Wink

Now it's well said

Thumbs UpHeart O,K. for once in the ..what.. 11 years we've been butting heads... I can meet you half way LOL

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: jackson1066
Date Posted: March 08 2016 at 17:11
Styx wasn't very proggy, but put out two stellar albums, Pieces of Eight and Grand Illusion (the recent live versions of these albums in their entirety are surprisingly good).  Kansas could be quite proggy, and their first five albums are excellent; it could be easily argued that Kansas is the U.S.'s greatest prog band.  There is an expanded two-disc CD version of Two for the Show that is fantastic.

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: March 08 2016 at 19:33
Both, bien sûr.

-------------

Posted By: Intruder
Date Posted: March 09 2016 at 07:25
That slick pseudo-prog AOR sounds OK on the radio once in a while, but to actually put Kansas or Styx on the turntable....intentionally....well, no. 

-------------
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....

Date Posted: March 09 2016 at 08:23
My big two faves from styx, are suite madame blue and castle walls heavy on atmosphere ,I find somewhat akin, to court of the crimson king, that is the vibe im getting of course, to each their own.                                      My Kansas faves are Song for America and portrait (he knew) thank you everyone for your response to this thread Approve

Posted By: Son.of.Tiresias
Date Posted: March 10 2016 at 12:16
Welcome to PA grantman, but... What a stoopid question, I never understood why these two bands are always thrown into the same drawer.

The Kerry Livgren era Kansas is the one of the very finest rockīnīroll ever America has to offer. He with Proto-Kaw is even better. Period.

As for Styx in Prog, Styxīs 3 first albums with guitarist John Curulewski are progressive but since "Man of Miracles" just AOR-(hard rock), unfortunately. They may have thought they were prog group but not really were progressive anymore. Competent players, though. Dennis deYoungīs voice doesnīt make my day either although he is kinda intellectual, in American rockīnīroll circus as he summaries (then) American pop culture in all with his (in)famous statement documented in "Return to Paradise" video, 1996 as.... "Itīs bullsh*t" Tongue

Date Posted: March 10 2016 at 14:33
^I've never understood why they have been 'thrown into the same drawer' either but imho Kansas is light years beyond what Styx ever did. Other than Grand Illusion I can't honestly say they ever clicked with me and even then it pales in comparison to the first 5 Kansas albums. Kansas  not only had some shorter rock songs that were radio friendly but were able to write some long epics also that were far better than anything Styx ever attempted.
Kansas is prog rock...emphasis on the rock part.....I'm not sure where Styx fits in.

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: TheLionOfPrague
Date Posted: March 10 2016 at 20:15
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

^I've never understood why they have been 'thrown into the same drawer' either but imho Kansas is light years beyond what Styx ever did. Other than Grand Illusion I can't honestly say they ever clicked with me and even then it pales in comparison to the first 5 Kansas albums. Kansas  not only had some shorter rock songs that were radio friendly but were able to write some long epics also that were far better than anything Styx ever attempted.
Kansas is prog rock...emphasis on the rock part.....I'm not sure where Styx fits in.

Yep, I don't know where this AOR crap about Kansas comes from. Yes, ELP or Genesis also had short radio friendly songs (during the prog years I mean). Wayward Son or Dust in the Wind may be super radio friendly or whatever but they're damn good songs.

-------------
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place

Date Posted: March 11 2016 at 03:03
Originally posted by TheLionOfPrague TheLionOfPrague wrote:

Yep, I don't know where this AOR crap about Kansas comes from. Yes, ELP or Genesis also had short radio friendly songs (during the prog years I mean). Wayward Son or Dust in the Wind may be super radio friendly or whatever but they're damn good songs.

Itīs my sad duty to inform you this: The AOR crap came along with John Elefante, he turned Kansas into AOR, unfortunately. "Vinyl Confessions" album and watching the live video from Omaha, both from 1982, confirm this. After this is said farewell to Kansas... till Steve Walshīs return many years later. Oh, how much I missed him back in the day Unhappy 

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: March 11 2016 at 04:35
Of course there is always Proto Kaw, the reincarnated pre Kansas that is I think still going. Only got a boot but it sounds like a prog rock type band to me. Not that I know what prog rock is...

Three of a perfect pair. '8.

Maybe one day some body can tell me why Kansas is pronounced Kansas But Arkansas (as in Black Oak) is not Kansas with Ar in front. ;)

Date Posted: March 12 2016 at 03:09
I mean the original Pro-Kawīs recorded work from 1971 - 73 is better than their modern material, though is excellent still.

Date Posted: March 12 2016 at 03:26
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Of course there is always Proto Kaw, the reincarnated pre Kansas that is I think still going. Only got a boot but it sounds like a prog rock type band to me. Not that I know what prog rock is...

Three of a perfect pair. '8.

Maybe one day some body can tell me why Kansas is pronounced Kansas But Arkansas (as in Black Oak) is not Kansas with Ar in front. ;)

it just doesn't sound as cool - I mean 'Kansaw' ?? Alright if you're a lumberjack............and if you cut trees, you'll pick up Styx.....

Date Posted: March 12 2016 at 12:13
Originally posted by Son.of.Tiresias Son.of.Tiresias wrote:

I mean the original Pro-Kawīs recorded work from 1971 - 73 is better than their modern material, though is excellent still.

Not for me...I prefer the first 4 or 5 Kansas over the 'Proto-kaw' stuff.....though it's interesting material.

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: March 12 2016 at 18:19
Originally posted by TheLionOfPrague TheLionOfPrague wrote:

Anyone who thinks songs like "The Pinnacle," "Lamplight Symphony," "Journey from Mariabronn," "Incomudro," "Cheyenne Anthem" and "Song for America" aren't prog ought to get an ear-check! Tongue

Kansas is FAR more a "prog" band than Styx ever was!

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: March 12 2016 at 18:33
Could never understand how a band that recorded "The Pinnacle" could lead the same album off with "It Takes a Woman's Love to Make a Man".  Very little Styx that I can stomach, but I can cherry pick the 1st few Kansas albums to make 1 great prog album LOL  

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: AEProgman
Date Posted: March 12 2016 at 19:21
Don't understand how they get compared together either.  
Kansas when Livgren is the main composer of the songs up until Monolith and is prog to me.
Loved Styx in a different way as AOR with prog tendencies, loved songs Suite Madam Blue Suite, A Day, and Castle Walls. 

-------------

Date Posted: March 12 2016 at 20:46
STYX :
How can one...........

Movement For The Common Man
A Day
The Grove Of Eglantine
Song For Suzanne
Suite Madame Blue
Castle Walls

......................say they were never Prog ??

Date Posted: March 12 2016 at 20:59
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

STYX :
How can one...........

Movement For The Common Man
A Day
The Grove Of Eglantine
Song For Suzanne
Suite Madame Blue
Castle Walls

......................say they were never Prog ??

I don't know, to me they were clearly prog. To anyone who doesn't think Styx is prog, just take a listen to The Serpent is Rising and come back enlightened.

Date Posted: March 13 2016 at 01:49
^ .....He who giveth Contradictions Collapse a 5 star rating - you're wrong buddy, should be 6 stars
......and Serpent will always be my fave Styx !

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: March 13 2016 at 01:53
Kansas
I like 70s Styx but beyond those years, their music got less and less interesting to put it politely LOL

I enjoy 80s Kansas a lot, I don't have any problems with their AOR years.

Date Posted: March 13 2016 at 03:42

Not for me...I prefer the first 4 or 5 Kansas over the 'Proto-kaw' stuff.....though it's interesting material.

Of course the first 5 albums from Kansas are superb. After having purchased "Point of Know Return" just before I went to army (19 years old) it just blew me away with its cheers superiority practically in everything, I havenīt had heard anything as brilliant in symphonic prog from America. Two keyboard player, two lead guitarists and two lead vocalists who all are superb musicians, well thatīs something extraordinary and hard to beat. Frankly no other band could match their brilliance back in the day. Shortly after I had to buy all the early albums. I still enjoy all those and still give 5 stars each. Today I prefer prog that has wind instrument also as they always enrich the sound. I discovered Proto-Kaw after having listened their comeback album 12 years ago. Kansas is also the most important band in Americaīs prog history. For me personally the original material from Proto-Kaw is even better. That doesnīt belittle Kansasī work in any way. Their are just different and brilliant, and thatīs the essence of Prog.

Date Posted: March 13 2016 at 16:45

Of course the first 5 albums from Kansas are superb. After having purchased "Point of Know Return" just before I went to army (19 years old) it just blew me away with its cheers superiority practically in everything, I havenīt had heard anything as brilliant in symphonic prog from America. Two keyboard player, two lead guitarists and two lead vocalists who all are superb musicians, well thatīs something extraordinary and hard to beat. Frankly no other band could match their brilliance back in the day. Shortly after I had to buy all the early albums. I still enjoy all those and still give 5 stars each. Today I prefer prog that has wind instrument also as they always enrich the sound. I discovered Proto-Kaw after having listened their comeback album 12 years ago. Kansas is also the most important band in Americaīs prog history. For me personally the original material from Proto-Kaw is even better. That doesnīt belittle Kansasī work in any way. Their are just different and brilliant, and thatīs the essence of Prog.

Overall certainly the most well known and prolific American prog band....still think their Kansas albums pack more melodic punch, better production, and songs than the Kaw stuff and Walsh is a better singer than the guy who sang earlier...imho. But the Kaw material is solid in it's own way.

Being a prog fan you should buy ,if you don't already own them, the first two Happy the Man albums. IMHo those are 2 superb US  prog albums. Far different than what Kansas was doing.

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: March 14 2016 at 13:22

Overall certainly the most well known and prolific American prog band....still think their Kansas albums pack more melodic punch, better production, and songs than the Kaw stuff and Walsh is a better singer than the guy who sang earlier...imho. But the Kaw material is solid in it's own way.

Being a prog fan you should buy ,if you don't already own them, the first two Happy the Man albums. IMHo those are 2 superb US  prog albums. Far different than what Kansas was doing.

Thanks for the compliment, I really appreciate (calling me a prog fan as Iīm basically a common working (more or less) man). I fully respect your opinions, and yes Kansas is more melodic and the production is top class and both Walsh and Steinhardt are better vocalists. In my younger days I would certainly have preferred Kansas but today itīs the other way. Proto-Kaw is something more serious stuff, in a way.
Thanks for advice for Happy the Man. I do own the s/t album but itīs not my cup of tea. Iīd rather listen to "Happy the Man" sang by Peter Gabriel.

Posted By: fxdregs
Date Posted: March 14 2016 at 18:36
Kansas, though when Livgren left they lost something.

Date Posted: March 15 2016 at 12:00
Originally posted by fxdregs fxdregs wrote:

Kansas, though when Livgren left they lost something.

Itīs absolutely true. 

Date Posted: March 15 2016 at 12:20
songwriter and arranger for one.Unhappy

Date Posted: August 13 2016 at 17:29
On a recent online order for some other stuff, I had about $8 left on the gift card and decided to toss in "The Complete Wooden Nickel Recordings" CD by Styx for a little more than $7.  Just got it a few days ago.  Man, what a great bargin for their first 4 albums in a well done 2 CD package (very good remastering also).  I was only familiar with Styx 2, which I had back in the day, and a few songs from a few of the other albums.

The first 3 albums are pretty darn good and the 4th one is not bad.  Always wonder what would Styx have been like if John Curulewski (RIP) would have remained on with the band.  I absolutely love the song "A Day" which I believe he wrote.

Anyway, good stuffThumbs Up.

-------------

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: August 13 2016 at 17:41
Well, if I had to choose, it would be Kansas, but only with Kerry Livgren in the band. They never stooped so low as Mr. Roboto and You Babe. Absolutely dreadful.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: August 13 2016 at 18:08
Mr Roboto was a slice of Techno-Pop fun. The concept of Kilroy, almost Broadway, no matter how much of a High-School musical it turned out to be. Gotta hand it to the over-ambitious DeYoung - at least he knows how to play keyboards. Very well, too.
The Serpent Is Rising - still a personal 5 star (though I reviewed it with a 4.....)

Date Posted: August 14 2016 at 11:24
Kansas is a full Prog band in the level of the best Britain or Italian

Styx is an excellent Rock band with Prog leanings

As a Prog listener I like Kansas more, but both are great.

Despite this facts, Leftoverture IMHO is one of the ten top Prog albums of history.

-------------

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: August 14 2016 at 11:28
Neither

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: omphaloskepsis
Date Posted: August 14 2016 at 11:40
Styx for moi.   I've seen both bands live at least 5 times each.  As a matter of fact, I've seen them both back up YES.    I dig everything 70's Styx but my least favorite singer/writer is James Young but still James only sings lead on 1 or 2 songs per album.   Dennis writes and sings from a romantic and emotional place that makes me feel French,  but he is a genius and an underated keyboardist. Maybe Dennis jumped the shark over MR.Roboto?  Tommy is great.  John Curulewski was great.  The whole is greater than the sum of parts.  They need each other, the way Chicago needed every part.  

Kansas was fabulous but as several of you progtologists have pointed out...."They lost something when Kerry Livgren left."     

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: August 14 2016 at 16:06
I choose South Park.

Actually, Styx.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Date Posted: August 14 2016 at 16:13
domo arigato Mr. Robato... domo...

hey.. where's the poll...Angry

-------------

Date Posted: August 14 2016 at 16:45

-------------

Date Posted: August 14 2016 at 16:47
Thumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: August 14 2016 at 17:33
Kansas...
Styx has some chops, they can play and kick-a$$ with anyone, musically it is great stuff. Yea a couple albums like Kilroy and Paradise have some cheesy stuff but my Lord....nowhere near some of the cheesy krapp that goes on in full on prog bands.

Kansas to me was that more mature writing, cerebral and the lyrics were outstanding. Commercially not as popular, save for 2 albums. But as a band their albums are full of great music, killer musicians

-------------

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: August 14 2016 at 17:41
Styx...I know they're cheese-prog but I like em anyway.  Even.....(plug your ears).......Cornerstone

Embarrassed

-------------

Date Posted: August 14 2016 at 19:26
^ Nothing wrong with Cornerstone........and you know it !!

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: August 14 2016 at 19:44
^
I like Cornerstone much better than the heralded Pieces of 8.  Embarrassed

-------------

Date Posted: August 14 2016 at 19:53
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

^
I like Cornerstone much better than the heralded Pieces of 8.  Embarrassed

Cornerstone has a masterpiece

Lights

The best choirs i ever heard.

But also has Babe. Dead

-------------

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: August 14 2016 at 22:26
thumps up or thumps down, that is the question hmmm Styx or Kansas? puzzling contest as there both well crafted musicianship, Prog, FM Radio Friendly and I love both equally the same so here I`m sitting it out...

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: Terrapin Station
Date Posted: August 15 2016 at 10:37
I Love them both through the 70s (well, or into the early 80s with Styx).  They're both spotty after that, but not bad.

My preference would go with Kansas, though.

I consider both "Arena Prog"--basically arena rock with heavy enough prog influences to be considered a prog subgenre.  Other artists I consider "Arena Prog" include Supertramp, ELO, and Pink Floyd from Dark Side of the Moon on.

Posted By: akaBona
Date Posted: August 15 2016 at 16:10
Kansas

Posted By: aglasshouse
Date Posted: August 15 2016 at 19:54
Equinox for Styx, Leftoverture for Kansas. Two wonderful bands.

-------------
http://fryingpanmedia.com

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: August 23 2016 at 07:36
I'm not what you'd consider a fan of either band but I do like several songs on their earlier albums. I LOVE most of the first Kansas album.

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: August 25 2016 at 16:48
Summing up their best albums:

Kansas

s/t 10/10
Song For America 8/10
Masque 7.5/10
Leftoverture 10/10
Point Of Know Return 7/10
Monolith 7/10

Styx

Equinox 8/10
Crystal Ball 8/10
The Grand Illusion 9.5/10
Pieces Of Eight 8/10
Cornerstone 6/10
Paradise Theater 6.5/10

Kansas for the win. 

Date Posted: August 26 2016 at 05:53
Styx equinox 9/10 styx grand illusion 10/10 crystal ball 7/10 mademoiselle pop and low grade blues boogie shooz. Kansas monolith 6/10 sounds like (the bands breaking up) leftoverture 8/10 gathering steam and point of no return 10/10( simply the masterwork) . 

Posted By: maryes
Date Posted: August 28 2016 at 17:51
KANSAS is fairly superior than STYX, although both bands in last years are suffering a clear decline ( mainly  due original line-up  "departures" ) the resume of their trajectories still remains  positive. The fact of some radio success of Styx as for instance "Babe" or "Blue Collar Man " and "Carry on..." and  "Dust in the Wind" from Kansas... none of two are POP bands !!!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk