Print Page | Close Window

Lemmy dead.

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog News, Press Releases
Forum Description: Submit press releases, news , new releases, prog music news and other interesting things happening in the world of progressive music (featured in home and artist page)
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=105328
Printed Date: May 02 2024 at 06:00
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Lemmy dead.
Posted By: Warthur
Subject: Lemmy dead.
Date Posted: December 28 2015 at 20:15
Returning from my long break from these forums with sad tidings:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24806076

Though Motorhead itself was more or less the opposite of prog - Lemmy proudly describing it as back to basics rock-and-roll - it's nice to see the BBC obituary giving his work with Hawkwind due credit.

Replies:
Posted By: JJLehto
Date Posted: December 28 2015 at 20:18
Sad indeed. 

Wasn't a huge Motorhead fan, (wasn't even a big guilty pleasure) but Lemmy is a legend.

He rocked hard, lived hard and made no apologies or backtracks for either. 

RIP

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: December 28 2015 at 20:45
Sad day, loved the guy, great band, saw them 5 or 6 times.

RIP - Killed By Death.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: December 28 2015 at 21:10
I was priviliged to witness Lemmy's last Hawkwind show before getting busted and fired. That Montreal concert was deafening and I remember that listening to the radio (the proggy CHOM -FM)  after the show was just  impossible.  RIP  

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Posted By: Pastmaster
Date Posted: December 28 2015 at 21:16
Rest in peace to a rock legend.

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: December 28 2015 at 23:14
RIP

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: December 28 2015 at 23:20
Thought he'd go on forever.........
There's gonna be a shake-up in the heavens now - 2 Rickenbacker rebels !!
R.I.P. to a true legend.

Posted By: 1so-static
Date Posted: December 29 2015 at 02:44
I am a big Motorhead fan...but...everyone is going to say RIP and rest in peace, being all very respectful...but...if we know Lemmy in anyway, heaven just got a lot louder.

-------------
https://soundcloud.com/1so-static-1

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: December 29 2015 at 02:45
^ or Hell a lot quieter.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Date Posted: December 29 2015 at 03:10
^    Well said, David !!

Posted By: Warthur
Date Posted: December 29 2015 at 03:17
In a way it doesn't matter whether he goes up or down - whichever department you're in, you'll be able to hear him.

Date Posted: December 29 2015 at 04:21
Did you see his BRILLIANT customised Ricky bass ???    I want it - NOW...........

Posted By: Tuzvihar
Date Posted: December 29 2015 at 04:39
https://45.media.tumblr.com/cd2c7578860f53bc8ea9fc882f2f995d/tumblr_mymd27hOjC1spxj76o1_500.gif

-------------
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: December 29 2015 at 10:07
I think Odin wlcomes him in Valhalla

-------------

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: December 29 2015 at 12:17
Hi,

RIP

I can see/hear Nik Turner and Dave Brock now looking at each other ... and remember some old times ... that made them all famous!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: December 29 2015 at 13:03
Heard about this yesterday.  Since the missus does not care for Motorhead I played Space Ritual in memorium instead.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: Toaster Mantis
Date Posted: December 29 2015 at 14:14
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

He entered the Golden Void...

-------------
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook

Posted By: Mascodagama
Date Posted: December 29 2015 at 14:50

"Sire, this new guy...he hath drunk all the mead!"

"Indeed, my son. He hath a thirst like unto Utgarda-Loki himself."

"What shall we do, o mighty Odin?"

"Inform the varlets we must double our mead production. The man rocketh hard, Valhalla shall not be found wanting!"

Posted By: Clepsydra
Date Posted: December 29 2015 at 21:02
THE ACE OS SPADES!!!!!

Posted By: addictedtoprog
Date Posted: December 29 2015 at 21:28
RIP Lemmy...

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: December 30 2015 at 06:00
Another loss to the bass-playing and music world in general. Sales of JD will surely go down now (well, at least once the memorial drinking is complete).
I've never listened to much Motorhead but I'm playing "No Sleep Til Hammersmith" now and I never realised what a cacophony Lemmy's bass made (and I mean that in a good way). It sounds like there's a second guitarist as well as a bass player there.
I always thought Lemmy would outlive everyone. RIP.

Posted By: Toaster Mantis
Date Posted: December 30 2015 at 06:38
I'd also like to take note that there is more of a musical kinship between Hawkwind and Motörhead than a lot of people notice: The way the driving propulsive rhythms is built up around the backbone of the songs seems to be taken from the faster HW songs; then there's how the guitar and bass together form a massive roaring wall of white noise which gets an almost psychedelic effect.

It's not just a thing in those Motörhead songs that are re-arranged Hawkwind numbers like Lost Johnny and The Watcher, but also tracks like Bomber and Fire Fire. This becomes extra clear in the live renditions.

-------------
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook

Posted By: Nightfly
Date Posted: December 30 2015 at 07:59
Saddest news since the death of Chris Squire.

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: December 30 2015 at 09:39
Kilminster, Squire, Bruce, and Entwistle is now sharing memories on how they revolusionist rock bass playing.

-------------

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: December 30 2015 at 10:09
One of Lemmy's early incarnations.....

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: December 30 2015 at 12:50
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

"Sire, this new guy...he hath drunk all the mead!"

"Indeed, my son. He hath a thirst like unto Utgarda-Loki himself."

"What shall we do, o mighty Odin?"

"Inform the varlets we must double our mead production. The man rocketh hard, Valhalla shall not be found wanting!"

Verily, truth be spoken. Beer

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: December 30 2015 at 14:03
This is a great little demo of Lemmy's bass style!  

I've done a fair amount of this myself, using distortion, wah-wah etc. and using the bass as a low-end guitar.  It's a blast! 

RIP, Lemmy, light 'em up wherever you are, mate!

Posted By: Jim Garten
Date Posted: December 31 2015 at 06:23
This is a huge loss to heavy metal (even though the man himself just said Motorhead were a rock n roll band) & rock music in general; think of the influence he had on Hawkwind & the influence Motorhead had... fusing punk & heavy rock, inspiring (inventing?) thrash metal and keeping Jack Daniels's shares in the ascendant for 40 years.

The flood of tributes from across the musical spectrum says a lot for Lemmy's legacy, as do the huge number from those who met him either in passing or as a friend, all saying what a generally decent bloke he was. I was lucky enough to have met him a couple of times in my teens & even though I was just a spotty teenager & he was a grizzled rock god of 35, he had time to talk to people & always came across as genuinely friendly & glad we liked the band (never met Phil Taylor, but Eddie Clarke's the same).

Rock will not see his like again & now heaven has both him and Phil Taylor, things just got fecking noisy up there.

The man, the legend, the wart, the Rickenbacker - thanks for 40 years of tinnitus, you old bugger; we'll miss you.

-------------

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: December 31 2015 at 08:44
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

This is a great little demo of Lemmy's bass style!  

I've done a fair amount of this myself, using distortion, wah-wah etc. and using the bass as a low-end guitar.  It's a blast! 

RIP, Lemmy, light 'em up wherever you are, mate!

Just brilliant "most bass players sound like this whereas I sound...different"

Posted By: A_Flower
Date Posted: December 31 2015 at 09:45
R.I.P Lemmy. I never knew Moterhead other than Ace of Spades, and I never looked into Hawkwind, but from what I've heard of both, he sounds like an excellent musician

-------------
User Banned for this Post

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: December 31 2015 at 11:17
RIP

-------------

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: December 31 2015 at 14:29
Originally posted by A_Flower A_Flower wrote:

R.I.P Lemmy. I never knew Moterhead other than Ace of Spades, and I never looked into Hawkwind, but from what I've heard of both, he sounds like an excellent musician

Well...I never got into Motorhead either but I'm a fan of Hawkwind...especially the early ones. I also have some Sam Gopal things on compilation  psych cd;s.
I highly recommend all the early Hawkwind things especially Warrior On The Edge Of Time.....a true prog classic.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: rdtprog
Date Posted: December 31 2015 at 14:43
RIP Lemmy. My brother knew a friend of his friend that took a beer with him in a bar. Apparently a very nice guy.

-------------
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: January 01 2016 at 06:50
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

This is a huge loss to heavy metal (even though the man himself just said Motorhead were a rock n roll band) & rock music in general; think of the influence he had on Hawkwind & the influence Motorhead had... fusing punk & heavy rock, inspiring (inventing?) thrash metal and keeping Jack Daniels's shares in the ascendant for 40 years.

The flood of tributes from across the musical spectrum says a lot for Lemmy's legacy, as do the huge number from those who met him either in passing or as a friend, all saying what a generally decent bloke he was. I was lucky enough to have met him a couple of times in my teens & even though I was just a spotty teenager & he was a grizzled rock god of 35, he had time to talk to people & always came across as genuinely friendly & glad we liked the band (never met Phil Taylor, but Eddie Clarke's the same).

Rock will not see his like again & now heaven has both him and Phil Taylor, things just got fecking noisy up there.

The man, the legend, the wart, the Rickenbacker - thanks for 40 years of tinnitus, you old bugger; we'll miss you.

well said Jim! Clap I guess he beat me there so lining up a man date (drinking contest) with him in my little black book at St. Patrick's Bar and Grill on my 3rd night in heaven.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Davesax1965
Date Posted: January 03 2016 at 08:57
I'm very surprised to find so few posts on Prog Archives about Lemmy's death. Given his background in bands like Hawkwind, Sam Gopal and Opal Butterfly. 

He was a very good bassist and a very nice bloke. Sadly missed. 

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk