Print Page | Close Window

Kraan

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=105403
Printed Date: April 16 2024 at 06:03
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Kraan
Posted By: gr8dane
Subject: Kraan
Date Posted: January 05 2016 at 14:23
If you like to get yourself some Kraan,just about everything they have done is now available on I-Tunes.
Albums long out of print,and some remastered.
A nice surprise out of the blue, as I was missing a few.

-------------
Shake & bake.

Replies:
Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: January 05 2016 at 15:08
Well....I have the first 3 albums and that's enough Kraan for me.

Wink

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: DDPascalDD
Date Posted: January 05 2016 at 15:37
Mijn kraan doet het nog goed genoeg!

(Kraan should be without a Capital Wink)

-------------
https://pascalvandendool.bandcamp.com/album/a-moment-of-thought" rel="nofollow - New album! "A Moment of Thought"

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: January 05 2016 at 16:18
I have one Kraan record somewhere. I don't remember any of it, so it didn't leave much of an impression on me, and I don't spin records much (mainly CDs). Glad to know that they're available via iTunes. Does this come with a recommendation that I give them a second listen?

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: January 05 2016 at 16:57
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Well....I have the first 3 albums and that's enough Kraan for me.

Wink

Agreed...and frankly that may even be too much. Tongue

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: TeleStrat
Date Posted: January 05 2016 at 17:08
I have four Kraan albums on original vinyl and they were not as good as some of the other German bands I was into at the time (Gift, Satin Whale, Birth Control, Jane, Grobschnitt, etc,).
I do recall Let It Out not being too bad and the 2xLP Live being pretty good.

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: January 06 2016 at 05:14
Wintrup, the second one I think, is my favorite.
Afficher limage dorigine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rO76EMOf0W8

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: January 06 2016 at 07:14
Kraan played one of the best gigs I've ever seen in the early 80s. The instrumental skill of these guys is nothing short of incredible. I think I've never seen any other guitarist play at the speed of Peter Wolbrandt, and Ingo Bischof on keyboards is also a force of nature. Helmut Hattler was a regular winner of best bass player polls in German music magazines for a decade or more; apart from pure skill he also has a very original and individual melodic style of bass playing. I have only to say good things about the drummers they had, too, and the sax player they had in the 70s.

Their music generally was (and is, I think they're still touring occasionally) not only about speed and skill, it had a very light and relaxed and groovy atmosphere. This was very different to the darker music that you get from many other prog bands including most of the 70s krautrock greats.

That said, composition only ever played second fiddle in what Kraan was about. Consequently, I recommend to listen to the live albums. Kraan Live is one of the greatest live albums there is, and I also love Tournee, which is not very well known. Quite different from "Live" with keyboards replacing the sax and a very different selection of songs. There are occasionally great songs on their studio albums but by and large they were never consistent enough for me to be among my favourites.

This is a top notch live band, so try their live albums!

Date Posted: January 06 2016 at 07:15
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

I have one Kraan record somewhere. I don't remember any of it, so it didn't leave much of an impression on me, and I don't spin records much (mainly CDs). Glad to know that they're available via iTunes. Does this come with a recommendation that I give them a second listen?

Most Kraan fans would probably say the first live album.
My favourites are the second live album Tournee,and the studio album Wiederhoren.

-------------
Shake & bake.

Date Posted: January 06 2016 at 08:24
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Kraan played one of the best gigs I've ever seen in the early 80s. The instrumental skill of these guys is nothing short of incredible. I think I've never seen any other guitarist play at the speed of Peter Wolbrandt, and Ingo Bischof on keyboards is also a force of nature. Helmut Hattler was a regular winner of best bass player polls in German music magazines for a decade or more; apart from pure skill he also has a very original and individual melodic style of bass playing. I have only to say good things about the drummers they had, too, and the sax player they had in the 70s.

Their music generally was (and is, I think they're still touring occasionally) not only about speed and skill, it had a very light and relaxed and groovy atmosphere. This was very different to the darker music that you get from many other prog bands including most of the 70s krautrock greats.

That said, composition only ever played second fiddle in what Kraan was about. Consequently, I recommend to listen to the live albums. Kraan Live is one of the greatest live albums there is, and I also love Tournee, which is not very well known. Quite different from "Live" with keyboards replacing the sax and a very different selection of songs. There are occasionally great songs on their studio albums but by and large they were never consistent enough for me to be among my favourites.

This is a top notch live band, so try their live albums!

Well said.Kraan has always been in my top 3.

-------------
Shake & bake.

Posted By: timothy leary
Date Posted: January 06 2016 at 11:20
Kraan rocks

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: January 06 2016 at 13:01
Hi,

NP: Kraan - Live (Double LP)

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: January 07 2016 at 03:49
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

Wintrup, the second one I think, is my favorite.
Afficher limage dorigine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rO76EMOf0W8
Yes, yes - WINTRUP    My absolute fave. I don't know some of the 80's & 90's releases but all the others. Wintrup is magnificent - Silver Wings through to Jack Steam.   Their resurgence from Through to Diamonds is welcome too.
Oh yeah, was impressed to read in a recent issue of 'PROG' magazine that Steve Harris (Iron Maiden) saw Kraan in the 70's supporting Nektar, and was impressed with Helmut's bass work.
........just goes to show.........

Posted By: AEProgman
Date Posted: January 07 2016 at 15:52
Thanks for posting this thread as I have not heard of them before - shame on me Embarrassed.  Just listened to a few samples and have get some of their albums. Thumbs Up

-------------

Posted By: AreYouHuman
Date Posted: February 19 2016 at 22:45

Pretty much everything Lewian said (though I wish I’d had the good fortune to see them live).  “Andy Nogger” is still pretty much my favorite; it’s the first I tried, without knowingly hearing any of their stuff previously, and I thought it was one of the most original sounds I’d heard in my then-25 years.

-------------
Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: February 19 2016 at 23:47
^ Andy Nogger was my gateway to this wonderful band (it's probably the most likely LP you'd find in the 2nd - hand shops) after hearing Ed Wynne's (Ozric Tentacles) high praise of them in the mid-90's.
Live '75 is one of, if not THE best, live albums around.
Live '88 is no slouch either (with Joo Krause)
(p.s. - screw spellcheck, often have to edit my post......)

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk