Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=105730
Printed Date: April 18 2024 at 22:54
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Battle of The Titans: 1970's
Posted By: Magnum Vaeltaja
Subject: Battle of The Titans: 1970's
Date Posted: February 02 2016 at 18:22
10 legends, the highest rated albums on PA for each year of the 1970's are pitted head to head in this ultimate battle of you guys choosing whichever one you like the most. Take a pick for your favourite.

-------------
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents

Replies:
Posted By: sublime220
Date Posted: February 02 2016 at 18:27
Boy, it's CTTE by a landslide.

-------------
There is no dark side in the moon, really... Matter of fact, it's all dark...

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: February 02 2016 at 18:28
I surely prefer Van der Graaf's other 1970 album (The Least We Can Do...), but will still take H to He... other the others.

Posted By: the lighthouse keepe
Date Posted: February 02 2016 at 18:33
Moonmadness is a gem and gets my vote!

-------------
"Hello sun.Hello bird.
Hello my lady.
Hello breakfast.May I buy you
again tomorrow?"

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: February 02 2016 at 18:34
Red

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: MFP
Date Posted: February 02 2016 at 18:39
H to He over CttE.

Posted By: TheLionOfPrague
Date Posted: February 02 2016 at 18:56
Isn't Animals the best of 77'???

My favorite is Dark Side, but since it's below SEBT for 73' I'm undecided between Close to the Edge and Selling England by the Pound. I go with Genesis' since it has no votes.

-------------
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: February 02 2016 at 18:56
Red. Then SEBTP.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: emigre80
Date Posted: February 02 2016 at 19:00
Really, guys? CTTE FTW.

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: February 02 2016 at 19:01
Originally posted by TheLionOfPrague TheLionOfPrague wrote:

My favorite is Dark Side, but since it's below SEBT for 73' I'm undecided between Close to the Edge and Selling England by the Pound. I go with Genesis' since it has no votes.

Animals is the number one ranked album for 1977.

4.52 | 2960 ratings
QWR = 4.4946
Animals
Pink Floyd     Psychedelic/Space Rock
Studio, 1977     
4.35 | 1780 ratings
QWR = 4.3118
A Farewell To Kings
Rush     Heavy Prog
Studio, 1977

By the way, I wouldn't necessarily say that these are the highest rated albums, just the highest ranked due to PA's algorithms. The only reason, for instance, why Spectral Mornings is ranked higher than Western Culture and Heresie is because it has more ratings as opposed to better ratings (so Spectral Mornings has higher ratings in terms of more people rated it, but a lower average of all ratings). No reason I can see, though, why Farewell to Kings would be here instead of Animals (Animals has a higher average rating and more ratings). Trying to split the Rush vote? (joking)

By the way, not to be nit-picky, but it is Spectral Mornings, not Spectral Hackett, right?

Posted By: Pastmaster
Date Posted: February 02 2016 at 19:02
A Farewell to Kings

Posted By: TeleStrat
Date Posted: February 02 2016 at 19:21
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: February 02 2016 at 19:30
...and one more poll to which the answer is: Red.

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: February 02 2016 at 20:07
It's close for me as CTTE is perfect note for note--but SEBTP is just an amazing prog masterpiece---that I listen to often---but CTTE by a hair.

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: February 02 2016 at 20:08
Hem -

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: February 02 2016 at 21:22
VDGG

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: February 02 2016 at 21:24
Genesis '73

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: zravkapt
Date Posted: February 02 2016 at 22:44
'Spectral Hackett' LOL

-------------
Magma America Great Make Again

Posted By: addictedtoprog
Date Posted: February 03 2016 at 00:23
Gave it to H To He....

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: February 03 2016 at 00:31
Fragile will remain at zero because of CTTE

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: February 03 2016 at 02:38
72 > 75 > 73 > 78 > 71

-------------

Posted By: The-time-is-now
Date Posted: February 03 2016 at 03:13
Close to the Edge.

-------------

One of my best achievements in life was to find this picture :D

Posted By: Varon
Date Posted: February 03 2016 at 03:25
a very difficult choise between Red and H To He, Who Am The Only One
Today its VdGG

-------------
Would you catch the final words of mine?
Would you catch my words???

Posted By: PrognosticMind
Date Posted: February 03 2016 at 03:34
If I had to choose one out of this group of records (as hard as it is), I'd have to go with Yes Fragile.

-------------
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"

Posted By: Imperial Zeppelin
Date Posted: February 03 2016 at 03:37
Close to the Fridge

-------------
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: February 03 2016 at 04:10
Floyd over Chinsome.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Flight123
Date Posted: February 03 2016 at 04:44
Hard to believe Rush dominating 77 and 78...

Posted By: O666
Date Posted: February 03 2016 at 05:44
RED 

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: February 03 2016 at 05:47
Wish You Were Beer

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: February 03 2016 at 06:26
Selling England by the Pound - my "lost on an island" album.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: February 03 2016 at 12:04
Hard to  choose one.....for me a tie between CTTE, SEBTP, and Red.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: February 03 2016 at 12:18
I count six masterpiece albums here for me

I will go with

Hemispheres

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: February 03 2016 at 14:54
Kind of an odd collection as none are my actual fave album for that year.  Out of this group the one I consistently listen to the most and gets my vote is H to He Wink 

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: akaBona
Date Posted: February 03 2016 at 16:28
Close To The Edge plus 4 other absolute masterpiece.

Date Posted: February 03 2016 at 17:02
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by TheLionOfPrague TheLionOfPrague wrote:

Animals is the number one ranked album for 1977.

4.52 | 2960 ratings
QWR = 4.4946
Animals
Pink Floyd     Psychedelic/Space Rock
Studio, 1977     
4.35 | 1780 ratings
QWR = 4.3118
A Farewell To Kings
Rush     Heavy Prog
Studio, 1977

By the way, I wouldn't necessarily say that these are the highest rated albums, just the highest ranked due to PA's algorithms. The only reason, for instance, why Spectral Mornings is ranked higher than Western Culture and Heresie is because it has more ratings as opposed to better ratings (so Spectral Mornings has higher ratings in terms of more people rated it, but a lower average of all ratings). No reason I can see, though, why Farewell to Kings would be here instead of Animals (Animals has a higher average rating and more ratings). Trying to split the Rush vote? (joking)

By the way, not to be nit-picky, but it is Spectral Mornings, not Spectral Hackett, right?

Oops, my bad! LOL Yes, 1977 should be Animals and yes, I did mean Spectral Mornings. To be fair I posted this about 3 minutes before going to bed so next time I'll be sure to proofread a bit more carefully!

-------------
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents

Posted By: Michael678
Date Posted: February 03 2016 at 20:35
[insert obvious CttE reference here]

-------------
Progrockdude

Posted By: fudgenuts64
Date Posted: February 03 2016 at 21:18
Selling England :D

-------------

Posted By: Prog Geo
Date Posted: February 28 2016 at 11:16
Camel

-------------
Sonorous Meal show every Sunday at 20:00 (greek time) on http://www.justincaseradio.com

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: March 10 2018 at 02:01
Yes - Close to The Edge

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: March 10 2018 at 02:26
damn captcha, I wrote more and lost it all. 

Camel got my vote

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: March 10 2018 at 04:46
Fragile is a prog masterpiece

-------------

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: March 10 2018 at 05:37
Rouge

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: March 10 2018 at 05:45
some.. ummm... ODD choices in there in terms of titans haha.

whatever.. you at least gave us one good true option.

CttE

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: March 10 2018 at 06:13
Tough one - Hemispheres today, but could be CTTE, WYWH, Red, Moonmadness, Selling England any other day! 😀

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Date Posted: March 10 2018 at 07:14
Just realized that I never actually voted in my own poll. 

The two Yes ones are my two favourites (followed by VDGG and KC, the rest I'm more or less impartial to, or outright dislike). Went with Fragile as I find it to be the fresher sounding of the two, and CTTE is doing well enough on its own.

-------------

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: March 10 2018 at 12:24
Red again.

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: March 10 2018 at 19:14
People seriously need to get over "Red." I'm beginning to think it's one of the most over rated prog albums.

Title track - very repetitive and doesn't really go anywhere. The cellos in the middle are nice but the song just goes around in circles which is fine but at over six minutes it's a bit much.

Fallen Angel- Nice romantic song. Not as good as "exiles" but nice enough. The second best track on the album. Still, it doesn't really compare to their best songs.

One more red nightmare-It's ok but come on. The only thing the song has going for it is the guitar riff. The clap sound is rather annoying too don't you think? 

Providence- Not even their best improv piece. It's really not much better than moonchild. At least the first two minutes of moonchild had a melody but this one just sort of meanders. It brings the album down even more.

Starless - For me this is the album's saving grace but by itself doesn't elevate the album to the masterpiece status it seems to get. One of KC's best tracks? Sure and it's by far the best thing on the album.

Posted By: Prog Sothoth
Date Posted: March 10 2018 at 20:54
Tough but Close to the Edge wins out.

Date Posted: March 10 2018 at 22:53
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

People seriously need to get over "Red." I'm beginning to think it's one of the most over rated prog albums.

Title track - very repetitive and doesn't really go anywhere. The cellos in the middle are nice but the song just goes around in circles which is fine but at over six minutes it's a bit much.

Fallen Angel- Nice romantic song. Not as good as "exiles" but nice enough. The second best track on the album. Still, it doesn't really compare to their best songs.

One more red nightmare-It's ok but come on. The only thing the song has going for it is the guitar riff. The clap sound is rather annoying too don't you think? 

Providence- Not even their best improv piece. It's really not much better than moonchild. At least the first two minutes of moonchild had a melody but this one just sort of meanders. It brings the album down even more.

Starless - For me this is the album's saving grace but by itself doesn't elevate the album to the masterpiece status it seems to get. One of KC's best tracks? Sure and it's by far the best thing on the album.
I totally disagree with you. I have listened Red really much and still itīs the KC best album together with In the Court to me. Providence is only a little weak track to me, but really like Wettons basses in it. I just think in Red are all the great of KC, really monsterous riffs, absolutely beauty and also itīs one of their tightest played albums. But naturally everybody just donīt have to think same way as I.

Date Posted: March 12 2018 at 13:10
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I totally disagree with you. I have listened Red really much and still itīs the KC best album together with In the Court to me. Providence is only a little weak track to me, but really like Wettons basses in it. I just think in Red are all the great of KC, really monsterous riffs, absolutely beauty and also itīs one of their tightest played albums. But naturally everybody just donīt have to think same way as I.

I loved it as a teen but tastes change. To be fair I haven't heard it in a while. I don't think I'll ever outgrow the insanity of LTIA though. That's my favorite KC. Also, I'm not saying "Red" is bad just that I think these days it seems very over rated. 

Date Posted: March 12 2018 at 13:46
^Why you think itīs overrated? Because people still love it and gives it votes, although you donīt like it as much as before? There are three albums over it, so it really doesnīt seem to be overrated here. I personally think Yes Close to the Edge is overrated, but thatīs just my personal opinion, I have always prefer more the Yes Album and Fragile. But as itīs just my opinion, I canīt really say itīs truly overrated, I think I just canīt find the same greatness as others.

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: March 13 2018 at 08:08
Fragile. Always Fragile.

But what a decade the 70's were.

Pretty good batch of LP's there.

Posted By: maryes
Date Posted: March 14 2018 at 18:02
All masterpieces but... Close to the Edge wins !

Posted By: Walkscore
Date Posted: March 14 2018 at 21:09
Really tough poll, all great albums. 

I really like Providence - so much unresolved tension, the perfect precursor to the finale Starless. The second half of Starless is so musical, among the top 3 pieces of music ever in my opinion.

Date Posted: March 14 2018 at 21:52
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

'Spectral Hackett' LOL

Yeah, that was either a typo or someone was trying to be cutesie. Wink

Posted By: Dopeydoc
Date Posted: March 15 2018 at 16:38
Close to the edge, but Selling England, Red and Wish you were here are also master pieces
Titans for sure...

Posted By: DeadSouls
Date Posted: March 18 2018 at 11:55
Red

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk