Print Page | Close Window

The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific prog albums
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=105733
Printed Date: April 29 2024 at 06:16
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
Posted By: PrognosticMind
Subject: The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
Date Posted: February 03 2016 at 03:31
So I've been listening to this album for quite some time, and I obviously enjoy it very much. It's arguably my favorite Gabriel-era Genesis, with what I'd consider some of their best musical content as a group.

However, as legendary of a record as TLLDOB is - I can't help but feel that after track 16 (The Lamia) it drags on a bit. The first 2/3 of the album are like a living breathing movie/story. Those last seven tracks however feel a little tacked on relative to the first chunk of the record.
  1. Does anybody feel the same way, or are my ears just picky?

2. What are your personal thoughts on this amazing Genesis record, and Gabriel's final note with the group before departing?

3. Does it stand up to Foxtrot and SEBTP, or are those still untouchable for you?
Discuss!

-------------
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"

Replies:
Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: February 03 2016 at 05:17
I've never been a Genesis fan, but this is one of the few I can stand with. I don't think it has the flaws that you hear in the last part, but I'm not deep enough into Genesis. I find SEBTP incredibly boring in some tracks while part of it is surely very good, but I don't think I've ever been able to listen to it in its entirety in one shot.
Foxtrot is a litle better but not in my top 1000.
But I'm one of the less indicated person to discuss about Genesis. 

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Date Posted: February 03 2016 at 05:35
I totally get it. I just listened to TLLDOB again this morning, and the later half felt more listenable. I don't know if it's just my mood, but the first 16 tracks definitely feel stronger. The other half feels more atmospheric and etherial for me.

I vacillate with SEBTP. On some days I love it, others I tolerate it.

-------------

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: February 03 2016 at 05:44
I always have a hard time with that album. It has too much vocals for my taste and very few instrumental parts (and they did better ones on previous albums). I find the second half more tolerable.

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: February 03 2016 at 05:51
^ I agree 100 %
I will always prefer Topographic Oceans over Lamb.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: February 03 2016 at 06:28
1. I get the feeling you describe from the beginning of the second half. The whole album is very cinematic, but sides 1 and 2 show some action whereas side 3 and 4 are quite surreal. Nevertheless some of the best parts of the album are on the second half, such as Here Comes the Supernatural Anaesthesist, The Colony of Slippermen and Riding the Scree.

2. It sounds like a departure from the "classic" Genesis Sound of the three preceding Genesis albums: something between SEbtP and Peter Gabriel's solo debut to my ears.

3. No. It has risen a bit in my ranking lately and it took the 4th place in my Genesis list from Wind and Wuthering, but Foxtrot is my second all-time favourite and SEbtP my fourth.

-------------

Date Posted: February 03 2016 at 07:03
Great perspectives in this thread.

I too prefer TFTGO to TLLDOB.

For me, it's Lamb > Foxtrot > SEBTP. Colony of Slippermen rules. It has a great rhythm, and an almost Black Sabbath-like feel during the chorus sections. Same with the quieter sections in Chamber of 32 Doors; it's not hard to imagine Ozzy doing that vocal take LOL.

-------------

Posted By: TheLionOfPrague
Date Posted: February 03 2016 at 07:32
I like the album a lot however, it does drag a bit, like most double albums. I feel the same way about The Wall, for example, great album but a bit too long. But the great moments are among Genesis' best.

I still prefer Foxtrot and Selling England because they're amazing from beginning to end, especially SEBT, but Lamb isn't too far behind Foxtrot  (that one has Supper's Ready so I'll rank it higher). 

-------------
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place

Date Posted: February 03 2016 at 10:43
The later third of the record is really starting to grow on me.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't think some of the Gabriel-era's best sections were on this album.

"No time for romantic escape when your fluffy heart is ready for rape..."

-------------

Posted By: hieronymous
Date Posted: February 03 2016 at 11:13
TLLDOB is one of my least favorites - I am probably in the minority here, but I just don't like the songs, and as someone else mentioned, too many vocals! I could go on, but instead I will say that Live is probably my favorite - that's the one I heard first, the sounds of the instruments and the energy of the performances top the originals for me. For studio albums, SEBTP, then Foxtrot.

OK, I'll go on a little bit about TLLDOB - the story is just too vague and ridiculous for me. I suppose it is very psychological and dreamlike, but I just find it annoying. And Peter Gabriel as half-Puerto Rican is a bit much.

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: February 03 2016 at 11:28
Your observations are acute. TLLDOB is a bit fragmented leading to a sense of listlessness towards its end. I myself kind of find it hard to throw on Side 4 on any given lazy Saturday afternoon - it doesn't sufficiently lend itself to a listen after what's transpired before (I know I have detractors in the 'Forum here on this point).

Foxtrot remains my favorite while still being sort of a probationary period for a new lineup while SEBTP is far and away considered the band's best by many which I rarely hear about TLLDOB.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Date Posted: February 03 2016 at 11:41
Originally posted by hieronymous hieronymous wrote:

TLLDOB is one of my least favorites - I am probably in the minority here, but I just don't like the songs, and as someone else mentioned, too many vocals! I could go on, but instead I will say that Live is probably my favorite - that's the one I heard first, the sounds of the instruments and the energy of the performances top the originals for me. For studio albums, SEBTP, then Foxtrot.

OK, I'll go on a little bit about TLLDOB - the story is just too vague and ridiculous for me. I suppose it is very psychological and dreamlike, but I just find it annoying. And Peter Gabriel as half-Puerto Rican is a bit much.

"Too many lyrics/vocals" was my first impression when I tried spinning it three or four years back. Also, the concept is a bit pretentious, and doesn't do the genre any favors by exemplifying most casual listener's "meh"-like attitude toward it. I can loosely follow the story, and some songs are definitely better than others. The parts that are good/catchy are amongst Genesis' best IMO.

On a whole, I'd rate this album a 9/10.

-------------

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: February 03 2016 at 12:11
It's my least favorite Gabriel era album.....somewhat overblown and too long like most double albums were.
But having said that there are nice tracks and instrumentation throughout.
Like Tales by Yes  it reaches high but doesn't quite make it imho.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: February 03 2016 at 12:16
I feel both Tales and Lamb are great comparisons to one another, mostly in terms of both bands more or less being overridden by one or two people's ideas (lyrically, anyway).

Lamb is long-winded though, that's for sure. That's why I felt like right around track 16 it starts feeling like it's dragging. Some of their best musical passages in general for me, though.

-------------

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: February 03 2016 at 21:55
I'm not much of a fan of this album either. As a matter of fact, all Genesis albums have some tracks I can't really stand, but the previous albums had some moments of beauty that are just among my favourites on rock. The Lamb sort of lost this moments of beauty, and became too song and lyric oriented... and it doesn't help that I have never particularly liked Gabriel's singing... nor his concepts, and this album is not the exception. The only song that comes close to the high points from previous albums would be "In the Cage" for me, and it would still be my least favourite from such a selection of songs... "The Lamia" is also very good, but the new "Steve Hackett" version on Genesis Revisited 2, in which he extends the song with an extra guitar solo (plus, the vocals are less annoying).

Actually, this album is one of the reasons I have not checked out Gabriel's solo output yet, for hearing the direction he was taking, and imagining him going further this road, he would have nothing left of what I like of classic era Genesis, and he would keep what I don't like... and listening a few solo songs from his on Youtube seems to have confirmed my point. Except for his third album, I think I heard some things on it that I would like to come back to.

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: February 04 2016 at 02:18
The Lamb is my favorite album of all time. If I were forced to identify a weak side, I would pick side 2, and even that's not very weak. I think the final song, It, could have had more punch and more crunch in order to bring the album to a more dynamic climax. There are plenty of instrumental interludes on the Lamb, so I don't understand that criticism. Supernatural Anesthetist is my favorite instrumental part (I'm a Hackett fan). Most of the instrumental interludes are actually on side 4 too. I like Gabriel's voice. Comparisons have been made with yes, but Jon Anderson's voice is as annoying to me as Gabriel's to Dellinger. A lot of Yes music I like until a vocal intrudes. I'm surprised, though, the Lamb seemed more popular in my high school than it does on PA. How 'bout that?

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Date Posted: February 04 2016 at 03:21
I'm quite surprised to see such mixed opinions on Lamb here on PA. I thought for certain 90% of you would worship this record unquestioningly LOL.

Another listen this morning while I work in Photoshop, as this album truly is catchy. It grows on you big time, especially that latter third.

"You're in the colony of slippermen..."

-------------

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: February 04 2016 at 03:34
It sounds very modern, even today. To me no other album of classic progressive music has ever sounded more modern than this one since.

Posted By: the lighthouse keepe
Date Posted: February 04 2016 at 05:55
Always been up there with the band's very best.
Haven't played The Lamb for ages,will change that soon!
Definitely PG best,and when they wrote The Lamia,they wrote a classic song.
The last few tracks aren't as strong as those preceding it,however I do really like In The Rapids.it is a rather odd song I always thought to end the album!

-------------
"Hello sun.Hello bird.
Hello my lady.
Hello breakfast.May I buy you
again tomorrow?"

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: February 04 2016 at 08:43
I think its an album that clearly marked the end of that band in that grouping. The last half of the album is mythological gibberish and both Peter Gabriel and Genesis were better off as separate entities at that point.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: February 04 2016 at 09:31
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

I think its an album that clearly marked the end of that band in that grouping. The last half of the album is mythological gibberish and both Peter Gabriel and Genesis were better off as separate entities at that point.

And by the time they do a song that it is rock'n'roll, you already know that no one wanted to do anything else for the album! Or the band in its current state at the time!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Upbeat Tango Monday
Date Posted: February 04 2016 at 09:56
1- I don't feel it drags on after The Lamia. Most people will tell you that the part where the album gets a bit boring comes between Lilywhite Lilith and The Lamia (The Waiting Room, Anyway, Here Comes the Supernatural Anaesthetist). I love every second of the Lamb, though.

2-It's the best record they've ever made

3-Read 2...and btw, I think Nursery Cryme is better than Foxtrot.

-------------
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.

Date Posted: February 04 2016 at 10:19
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

The Lamb sort of lost this moments of beauty, and became too song and lyric oriented...
The Lamb', even with all its shortcomings, is chock full of moments of beauty! And stating that it "became too song and lyric oriented" is puzzling - isn't prog generally this in the first place (unless it's instrumental)?

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: Blinkyjoh
Date Posted: February 04 2016 at 10:41
I just read Mike Rutherford's memoir about a month ago, and of course he talked about this album. While the band were hard at work on the music, PG was going through deeply personal/family issues at the time, and was seriously behind on the lyrics. I can see that affecting his output. Might be worth checking the book out of the library sometime.

I own everything but the archives and some of the live albums. Generally i favour Trick ->. 

One thing i was always read is the band was like 'half a million in debt', i wonder where the turning point to even was..

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: February 04 2016 at 12:20
I love The Lamb and consider it one of the great prog concept achievements of all time along with Topographic Oceans, Passion Play & Brick.  That said, I've always had a couple minor criticisms on the album: sound quality and as the OP mentioned, the "drag" factor.  

First, the sound quality has always been a little thin and flat to my ears...not nearly as lush and full as the other studio Genesis albums that lead up to it (Nursery->Foxtrot->Selling).  Almost like they used a different studio, made some specific sonic decisions to create a different overall sound or had a new engineer or something.  Second, I totally hear you about the drag factor, but I only feel it on a couple pieces after "The Lamia".  "Silent Sorrow in Empty Boats" feels like filler that could be cut down from 3 minutes down to 1/2 a minute.  Also, it would be more effective as a fade out to "The Lamia" rather than a separate piece.  They get right back on track with "The Colony of Slippermen" which is my fave track on the whole album, but then "The Light Dies Down..." totally feels like a desperate attempt to take up some time both musically and lyrically and conceptually attempt to tie in the end of the album with the beginning just from the title.  I think they could have dropped that song altogether and it would have made a much stronger flow to the end.

For me criticizing The Lamb is kind of like complaining about a luxury cruise to Alaska, "I wish I had seen 15 whales instead of 14, caught 10 salmon instead of 9, and the fresh all you can eat crab meat cocktail bar could have had a platter so I didn't have to get up so often to refill my plate" Wink

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Date Posted: February 04 2016 at 12:31
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

I love The Lamb and consider it one of the great prog concept achievements of all time along with Topographic Oceans, Passion Play & Brick.  That said, I've always had a couple minor criticisms on the album: sound quality and as the OP mentioned, the "drag" factor.  

First, the sound quality has always been a little thin and flat to my ears...not nearly as lush and full as the other studio Genesis albums that lead up to it (Nursery->Foxtrot->Selling).  Almost like they used a different studio, made some specific sonic decisions to create a different overall sound or had a new engineer or something.  Second, I totally hear you about the drag factor, but I only feel it on a couple pieces after "The Lamia".  "Silent Sorrow in Empty Boats" feels like filler that could be cut down from 3 minutes down to 1/2 a minute.  Also, it would be more effective as a fade out to "The Lamia" rather than a separate piece.  They get right back on track with "The Colony of Slippermen" which is my fave track on the whole album, but then "The Light Dies Down..." totally feels like a desperate attempt to take up some time both musically and lyrically and conceptually attempt to tie in the end of the album with the beginning just from the title.  I think they could have dropped that song altogether and it would have made a much stronger flow to the end.

For me criticizing The Lamb is kind of like complaining about a luxury cruise to Alaska, "I wish I had seen 15 whales instead of 14, caught 10 salmon instead of 9, and the fresh all you can eat crab meat cocktail bar could have had a platter so I didn't have to get up so often to refill my plate" Wink

Fantastic post, and you definitely had me laughing at the end there LOL Clap

Everyone's responses have been great. Thank you for this discussion! It's nice checking in every few hours and seeing people posting.

-------------

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: February 04 2016 at 12:59
Originally posted by Blinkyjoh Blinkyjoh wrote:

I just read Mike Rutherford's memoir about a month ago, and of course he talked about this album. While the band were hard at work on the music, PG was going through deeply personal/family issues at the time, and was seriously behind on the lyrics. I can see that affecting his output. Might be worth checking the book out of the library sometime.

I own everything but the archives and some of the live albums. Generally i favour Trick ->. 

One thing i was always read is the band was like 'half a million in debt', i wonder where the turning point to even was..

They broke even with Trick apparently, and it sold much better than The Lamb.

I do love the Lamb, but I agree Trick is better (probably my fave Genesis album) There are parts of the Lamb which are certainly among their best work but side 4 lets it down IMO

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Date Posted: February 04 2016 at 13:31
I still don't understand why LLDOB rates so highly with people. But this is a good thing - it gives me a reason to listen to it again!

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: February 04 2016 at 16:10
Originally posted by hieronymous hieronymous wrote:

I am right there with you on this opinion.  There are some decent songs on the album, but as a whole the concept basically makes no sense to me and explanations that I have been given don't make the concept any better.

-------------

Date Posted: February 04 2016 at 22:13
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

The Lamb is my favorite album of all time. If I were forced to identify a weak side, I would pick side 2, and even that's not very weak. I think the final song, It, could have had more punch and more crunch in order to bring the album to a more dynamic climax. There are plenty of instrumental interludes on the Lamb, so I don't understand that criticism. Supernatural Anesthetist is my favorite instrumental part (I'm a Hackett fan). Most of the instrumental interludes are actually on side 4 too. I like Gabriel's voice. Comparisons have been made with yes, but Jon Anderson's voice is as annoying to me as Gabriel's to Dellinger. A lot of Yes music I like until a vocal intrudes. I'm surprised, though, the Lamb seemed more popular in my high school than it does on PA. How 'bout that?

Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

The Lamb sort of lost this moments of beauty, and became too song and lyric oriented...
The Lamb', even with all its shortcomings, is chock full of moments of beauty! And stating that it "became too song and lyric oriented" is puzzling - isn't prog generally this in the first place (unless it's instrumental)?

Well, I don't know if I didn't explain myself correctly... besides, I may not remember some of this instrumental interludes if they didn't interest me and haven't listened to the whole album in a while. However, I said song oriented meaning shorter mostly lyrics based songs, instead of longer songs with instrumental sections. And the album may have it's good share of instrumental interludes (stand alone tracks if I remember correctly?), but then again, that would be part of the problem... I would like those instrumental interludes to have been worked as parts of the main songs (it's sort of the same problem I have with The Wall... even though I like that album much more). But in the end, whether it's got instrumental interludes, and shorter songs... and some longer songs too... the main problem is that I don't like the songs as much as "Musical Box", "Supper's Ready", "Dancing with the Moonlit Knight", "Firth of Fifth", and "Cinema Show"... there's just no song that I enjoy nearly as much as those ones.

Date Posted: February 05 2016 at 03:52
I've had the following lines stuck in my head for the last three days:

"Rael imperial aerosol kid; exits into daylight, spraygun hid..."

"Groucho with his movies trailing, stands alone, his punclhine failing"

"Smiling at the Majorette, smoking Winston cigarettes"

"As I cuddled the porcupine, he said I had none to blame but me"

"No time for romantic escape when your fluffy heart is ready for rape; no!"

"Erogenous zones, I question you. Without you what would a poor boy do? Without you mankind handkinds through the blue"

"Here come the supernatural anesthetist; if he wants you to snuff it, all he has to do is puff it (he's such a fine dancer!)"

-------------

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: February 05 2016 at 06:29
I respect the artistic decision a lot to make a big concept album like this that uses musical forms somewhat different from the long intricate compositions that the band did before. For me this is not so much a matter of comparing Lamb to SEBTP, Trespass etc. and wondering what I like more. I think it's a good thing if a band tries out new forms of expression, and I'm fine with the band being ambitious as they were here. Certainly, as an attitude, this appeals more to me than doing "another one of the same kind". It was the same with The Wall.

That said, I'm not terribly interested in lyrics and stories when it comes to music. I'm fine with the lyrics and the story here but I don't bother much, and this means that I don't find myself listening to the whole of the album much. I love Carpet Crawlers, Fly on a Windshield, In the Cage, Lamia, and I don't have all too strong complaints about anything else; but overall, as much as I respect them for doing this and think that overall this is something very good (that I'd appreciate as a critic), it doesn't rank very highly on my personal list.

Posted By: Upbeat Tango Monday
Date Posted: February 05 2016 at 08:38
PrognosticMind, give The Colony of Slippermen a few more spins. This section is awesome:

He places the number into a tube,
It`s a yellow plastic "shoobedoobe".
It says: "Though your fingers may tickle
You`ll be safe in our pickle."
Suddenly, black cloud come down from the sky.
It`s a supersized black bird that sure can fly...

-------------
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.

Date Posted: February 05 2016 at 09:02
Originally posted by Upbeat Tango Monday Upbeat Tango Monday wrote:

PrognosticMind, give The Colony of Slippermen a few more spins. This section is awesome:

He places the number into a tube,
It`s a yellow plastic "shoobedoobe".
It says: "Though your fingers may tickle
You`ll be safe in our pickle."
Suddenly, black cloud come down from the sky.
It`s a supersized black bird that sure can fly...

I've grown much more fond of that track in the last two days. I enjoy that particular passage Tongue.

Back in N.Y.C. might have one of the catchiest choruses ever.

-------------

Date Posted: February 05 2016 at 10:21

Well, I don't know if I didn't explain myself correctly... besides, I may not remember some of this instrumental interludes if they didn't interest me and haven't listened to the whole album in a while. However, I said song oriented meaning shorter mostly lyrics based songs, instead of longer songs with instrumental sections. And the album may have it's good share of instrumental interludes (stand alone tracks if I remember correctly?), but then again, that would be part of the problem... I would like those instrumental interludes to have been worked as parts of the main songs (it's sort of the same problem I have with The Wall... even though I like that album much more). But in the end, whether it's got instrumental interludes, and shorter songs... and some longer songs too... the main problem is that I don't like the songs as much as "Musical Box", "Supper's Ready", "Dancing with the Moonlit Knight", "Firth of Fifth", and "Cinema Show"... there's just no song that I enjoy nearly as much as those ones.
Yes, the songs mentioned at the end there are of a heady lot to be compared to. And 'Lamb' may have offered a new side of Genesis that took some getting used to.

-------------

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: February 05 2016 at 10:39
"Looking behind me the water turns icy blue...the lights are dimmed and once again the stage is set for you" Wink

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: CharonKnight
Date Posted: February 05 2016 at 11:49
I love TLLDOB but I can hear what you mean about Side 4, but only when compared to the rest of the album. I'm a fan of Gabriel's vocals so the abundance of singing doesn't both me. However, I feel like "Hairless Heart" is one of the best instrumentals of all time. The whole record is fantastic but if I'm not in the mood for the whole thing, my go-to tracks are "Cuckoo Cocoon", "Hairless Heart", "Counting Out Time", "The Carpet Crawlers", "Lilywhite Lilith" (amazing backing vocals from Collins!), "Anyway", and "The Lamia". 

Date Posted: February 05 2016 at 12:27
Originally posted by CharonKnight CharonKnight wrote:

I love TLLDOB but I can hear what you mean about Side 4, but only when compared to the rest of the album. I'm a fan of Gabriel's vocals so the abundance of singing doesn't both me. However, I feel like "Hairless Heart" is one of the best instrumentals of all time. The whole record is fantastic but if I'm not in the mood for the whole thing, my go-to tracks are "Cuckoo Cocoon", "Hairless Heart", "Counting Out Time", "The Carpet Crawlers", "Lilywhite Lilith" (amazing backing vocals from Collins!), "Anyway", and "The Lamia". 

Hairless Heart is excellent. Lilywhite Lillith is super catchy and reminds me of a 70's hippy ballad. The Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging is beyond catchy; that might be the catchiest rhythm on the whole record.

-------------

Posted By: Intruder
Date Posted: February 05 2016 at 15:19
The boys were stewing in the studio while Gabriel was tied up with family and film soundtracks.  The result was hours and hours of tape of Genesis jams.  I've never owned the LP version, just the double CD.  The first disc is outstanding - not a duff moment, but disc 2 drags in the middle if you're not in the mood for Banks.  I do love the last track.....it's only knock and noll but I like it!

-------------
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....

Date Posted: February 05 2016 at 16:04
Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

The boys were stewing in the studio while Gabriel was tied up with family and film soundtracks. 
Film soundtracks? That's the first time I've ever read that. Which films were they, pray tell. All I know is that he left the recording sessions of The Lamb' for an extended time to meet with that director of The French Connection to come up with some ideas for a possible film collaboration, and that suitably miffed the others.

-------------

Date Posted: February 05 2016 at 20:10

Yes, it might be more song oriented, though Genesis has always been so. A lot of those longer epics were always balanced out by Harlequin, Time Table, I Know What I Like, and others. What I like about the Lamb is that it creates continuity not just between sections within songs perhaps in different keys and such, but it creates a sense of movement and continuity that transcends songs. The dynamic contrasts that were once only relevant to one song now applied across songs. The Lamb, for instance, goes beyond well beyond something like Supper's Ready, which has nothing to do with anything on side 1 of Foxtrot. That's how I see/hear the Lamb.

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Date Posted: February 06 2016 at 03:42
I too recall reading about Gabriel sort disappearing during TLLDOB sessions to meet with the French film producer, which eventually lead to his departure in (I believe) August '75.

"As I cuddle the porcupine, he said I had none to blame but me..."

-------------

Posted By: Guy Guden
Date Posted: February 06 2016 at 05:20
When I was doing SPACE PIRATE RADIO in Santa Barbara, Genesis offered to do the touring show of Lamb to
our most active promoter and perform it at UCSB for very inexpensive.  He turned it down because Fleetwood Mac were playing the County Bowl the same weekend (not the same night) and felt concert goers wouldn't spend the money.  *sigh*

Date Posted: February 06 2016 at 07:00
Originally posted by Guy Guden Guy Guden wrote:

When I was doing SPACE PIRATE RADIO in Santa Barbara, Genesis offered to do the touring show of Lamb to
our most active promoter and perform it at UCSB for very inexpensive.  He turned it down because Fleetwood Mac were playing the County Bowl the same weekend (not the same night) and felt concert goers wouldn't spend the money.  *sigh*

Pardon my English, but that person is an idiot! Smile

-------------

Date Posted: February 06 2016 at 23:15

Yes, it might be more song oriented, though Genesis has always been so. A lot of those longer epics were always balanced out by Harlequin, Time Table, I Know What I Like, and others. What I like about the Lamb is that it creates continuity not just between sections within songs perhaps in different keys and such, but it creates a sense of movement and continuity that transcends songs. The dynamic contrasts that were once only relevant to one song now applied across songs. The Lamb, for instance, goes beyond well beyond something like Supper's Ready, which has nothing to do with anything on side 1 of Foxtrot. That's how I see/hear the Lamb.

Yeah, perhaps those longer songs were balanced by shorter ones... but the ones I liked better were the longer ones (not all of them, though, and still I do like some of the shorter songs too... only not as much as the ones I mentioned earlier). And the album may create continuity between songs and whatever, but if I don't really like the songs so much, nor the narrative between them, then the album is just lost to me. Not to say there is nothing that I enjoy from The Lamb... there are a few songs I do enjoy very much... just, once again, not as much as the ones I mentioned earlier.

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: February 07 2016 at 05:18
The Lamb is my favourite Genesis album. I see and hear it as fullbodied piece of work that would lose something magical if it was to lose just one second of it's playing time. The pause in the Waiting Room is just as important to the overall scope of this album as In the Cage's thundering climax. You need darkness in order to appreciate light and vice versa.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: February 07 2016 at 07:51
FWIW I do think some of Lamb is dispensable but I could hardly care less.  One of the most evocative, atmospheric and creepy albums Genesis have done.   Right from the opening notes of the title track...just completely unlike anything they had done before or ever since.  The Eno effect?

Date Posted: February 07 2016 at 16:29
Great replies as always, guys!

I might sound crazy, but I think Phil did a great job with lead vocals on Lamb tracks live in 1976/1977 and onward.

-------------

Date Posted: February 07 2016 at 21:47
Originally posted by PrognosticMind PrognosticMind wrote:

I might sound crazy, but I think Phil did a great job with lead vocals on Lamb tracks live in 1976/1977 and onward.

I actually like Phil as a singer better than Gabriel. And mostly I like it better how he sings Gabriel songs... however, for other reasons I often end up liking the original versions better (or live versions still with Gabriel - which I also usually like Gabriel singing live better than on studio).

Date Posted: February 08 2016 at 15:53

Crazy's got nothing to do with it. "You are correct, Sir!" -Ed McMahon

-------------

Date Posted: February 08 2016 at 16:03

I too recall reading about Gabriel sort disappearing during TLLDOB sessions to meet with the French film producer, which eventually lead to his departure in (I believe) August '75.

The only thing French about the guy was in the title of his most famous film - The French Connection. It was William Friedkin, an American director.

-------------

Posted By: grantman
Date Posted: February 08 2016 at 16:11
foxtrot is more complete album I think the only instrumental track is horizons ever body seems to be on a more united front, to make a proper album or at least what I feel is proper like dark side of the moon compared to the wall my thoughts only

Date Posted: February 08 2016 at 16:36
Originally posted by grantman grantman wrote:

foxtrot is more complete album I think the only instrumental track is horizons ever body seems to be on a more united front, to make a proper album or at least what I feel is proper like dark side of the moon compared to the wall my thoughts only
What do you mean by "complete"?

-------------

Date Posted: February 09 2016 at 06:17

The only thing French about the guy was in the title of his most famous film - The French Connection. It was William Friedkin, an American director.

I was unaware of this. Thank you for sharing.

-------------

Posted By: backtothegarden
Date Posted: February 09 2016 at 15:22
My point of entry with prog Genesis was Trick of the Tail.  I loved it right away, and that led me to getting every studio album they had ever done.  

A few years back, I did some "spring cleaning" of my music library, and when Genesis came up, not all of them survived.  Everything after Wind and Wuthering didn't make the cut (except for the song "Keep it Dark", which I inexplicably love).  Same with "From Genesis to Revelation" - gone.  Of all the albums that remained, Lamb is the least best of the lot.

Not unlike Tales from Topographic Oceans, or Brain Salad Surgery, I find it pretentious, and the story takes away from the music.  I've kept Lamb because I'm waiting for it to hit me one day.  Like one day, I'll put it on, and find it as amazing as so many others on this site who sing its praises.  It's been nearly a decade, and it hasn't happened yet.  It does have its moments, though they are few and far between for me.

If I'm picking a favorite Genesis album, though, it's Trespass.  "Looking for Someone" is my all time favorite Genesis song, and I love how raw the album is.  It's got a ton of character.

BTW have any of you heard this cover of "Back in NYC" by Tin Spirits?  It's pretty great.

Posted By: Cosmiclawnmower
Date Posted: February 09 2016 at 17:33
I like the Tin Spirits version! They are a (relatively) local band (Swindon) and have seen them do it live (along with a few wisely chosen covers such as 'Red' in amongst their own material..)

Regarding the Lamb; my own view of it is very much coloured by my own personal circumstances when I first heard it and therefore still has a very strong emotional effect on me. Musically I feel it has more quirks and twists (most work in my view but a few don't)than SEBTP mostly built out of the 'jamming' way that much of it was constructed (much by Rutherford/Banks/ Collins whilst PG was absent or writing lyrics) but its the deep sense of expressing a wide range of emotions in a very eccentric, english and intense way which can still reduce me to tears.. even seeing the Musical box version twice I was surprised to find myself still very moved and transported. I do feel that the emotional energy of the lyrics and 'pilgrims progress' theme was mostly born out of the emotional rawness and exhaustion of PG's Personal situation and relationship with the rest of the band. Although this is a 'flawed' diamond in many respects, its actually remarkable that the whole band managed to create as coherent an album as they did..

-------------

Date Posted: February 09 2016 at 20:12

I agree, and in fact it occurs to me that of the two or three TLLDOB tracks that I like, two of them (the title track and Slippermen) are on Seconds Out.

I wonder if or how often people tend to prefer what they first heard of a band? Certainly, if it grabbed your attention then I would expect that it is going to hold a special place in your feelings for that band.

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: February 09 2016 at 21:16
tittlelob is giving me an itchycock.  It's a great album.  If you keep picking at it, it won't heal...

Go ahead and type in or cut and paste in the whole album name fer crying out loud otherwise your postings tend to get tiresome towards the end. heheheheh

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: SquonkHunter
Date Posted: February 12 2016 at 21:32
The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway was my first exposure to Genesis. Our local FM rock radio station in Dallas played the entire album uninterrupted one night shortly after its release in November 1974. I was intrigued by the music at the time. After a relatively small amount of airplay over the next couple of months, it disappeared from the radio. I heard nothing more about this new (to me) group until August 1975 when it was announced that Peter Gabriel had left the group. I remember the DJ saying "Well, looks like that's the end of Genesis". I was more than a bit pissed to hear it since I had just learned of them and then they were gone. Disapprove Fortunately for me, they still had a few really good albums left in them before they morphed into 80s pop stars. The Lamb got me interested in Genesis; A Trick of the Tail made me a fan.

-------------
"You never had the things you thought you should have had and you'll not get them now..."

Posted By: AreYouHuman
Date Posted: February 13 2016 at 23:30

The Lamb may not be my favorite of Genesis but I’ve always had a soft spot for it.  While it didn’t introduce me to prog (that honor would go to the Moodies, Procol H. and early ELPs, largely via my brothers’ collections) it was my introduction to the band.  I was lucky to live in an area with at least three good FM stations, and top 40 radio had, with few exceptions, become so gagworthy that I was more than ready for a change.  It was the beginning of my Age of Discovery, and I don’t care how corny it sounds: it was literally a whole different world I’d found my way to, most notably (to my ears) for the great prog releases of that year: Hero and Heroine, Mysterious Traveller, The Power and the Glory, Hamburger Concerto, Eldorado, Relayer, Hall of the Mountain Grill, Kansas (1st), Down to Earth, Turn of the Cards, Mirage, WarChild, Free Spirit, Red, Country Life, The World Became the World, Todd Rundgren’s Utopia, Illusions on a Double Dimple, Crime of the Century, Sheet Music…

And of course the Lamb.  The first time I heard the title track it all clicked.  I’d literally heard nothing like it: the shimmering keyboards, the vocal mannerisms, the propulsive drum fills.  I quickly discovered Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot and Selling England afterward, but the Lamb will always occupy a special place for me, as the album that served as my gateway to the greater world of prog.

-------------
Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!

Posted By: BaldFriede
Date Posted: February 17 2016 at 06:11
My favourite Genesis album. They are at their most experimental here, especially on side 3 and 4 of the original vinyl. I see the album as a whole, not as a collection of songs, so I don't complain about the length of the shorter tracks. Actually many of the shorter tracks float into each other.

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Date Posted: February 18 2016 at 04:15
Spinning this one again this morning. It's too perfect to get work done to!

-------------

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: February 19 2016 at 10:24
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

My favourite Genesis album. They are at their most experimental here, especially on side 3 and 4 of the original vinyl. I see the album as a whole, not as a collection of songs, so I don't complain about the length of the shorter tracks. Actually many of the shorter tracks float into each other.

Thank you .... likewise here.

As I say, I don't listen to "songs". I listen to music!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: February 19 2016 at 13:19
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

-------------

Date Posted: February 21 2016 at 04:48
Still spinning this, btw Tongue

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk