Print Page | Close Window

Deep Purple (1968-1974) vs EL&P (1970 - 1980)

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Polls
Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=105924
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 00:07
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Deep Purple (1968-1974) vs EL&P (1970 - 1980)
Posted By: Icarium
Subject: Deep Purple (1968-1974) vs EL&P (1970 - 1980)
Date Posted: February 20 2016 at 08:45
Two hammond based bands who both touched onto the extravagant and explosive, with virtousic and heavy instrumentation, classical symphonic rock leanings and bravado + pluss exellent vocals.

whos your favourite

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: TeleStrat
Date Posted: February 20 2016 at 09:07
Since i had the choice to vote neither, that's what I did.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: February 20 2016 at 10:39
I like both, but I favour ELP.

-------------

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: February 20 2016 at 10:42
you might've included The Nice with ELP (fits in with the years you've aimed at)

But Purple for sure

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: February 20 2016 at 11:15
ELP's contribution to prog is much more important to Deep Purple's(basically a hard rock band)!! I dončt know how they are leading!!

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: February 20 2016 at 11:23
ELP gets my favorite vote but I love Made in Japan too Wink

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: February 20 2016 at 11:32
ELP......never was a big fan of Purple....though they did a few nice tracks here and there.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Skalla-Grim
Date Posted: February 20 2016 at 12:13
Deep Purple have recorded great music, one of my favourite songs of theirs is this one:

They are not so far away from ELP in terms of style, due to their prominent keyboard playing, and both bands repeatedly merged rock with classical music.

Still, I prefer ELP overall because their music is more complex than DP's, but not without emotion.

-------------
"4/4 - That's 5/4 minus one." - Don Ellis (1934-1978)

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: February 20 2016 at 12:16
I love ELP (until Works included), but just yesterday at 6AM I watched the DVD of Deep Purple live in 1984 

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: Upbeat Tango Monday
Date Posted: February 20 2016 at 12:19
ELP and it's not even close.
Self-titled, Tarkus, BSS, Trilogy and Pictures at an Exhibition are better albums than Machine Head (the best DP record).

-------------
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: February 20 2016 at 12:59
Originally posted by Upbeat Tango Monday Upbeat Tango Monday wrote:

ELP and it's not even close.
Self-titled, Tarkus, BSS, Trilogy and Pictures at an Exhibition are better albums than Machine Head (the best DP record).

Not even close, dude... Their best albums are the first three, than In Rock, then comes Machine Head, tied with Burn

In terms of official live albums, Made In Japan and Made In Europe are much better albums than Shows that Never Ends or In Concert (79)

Next to that, only ELP's debut to the level of those six, with The Nice's Thoughts of Emerlist Davjack.

Posted By: silversaw
Date Posted: February 20 2016 at 13:08
Deep Purple wins this one for me!!  Prog or not, I can only stomach ELP until all of the "Works" and "Love Beach" nonsense began!  I think Deep Purple were a bit more consistent, and for that, they get my vote!

-------------
"In the Court Of Kings I look around, my blood runs cold, I close my eyes..."

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: February 20 2016 at 15:12
Deep Purple

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: February 20 2016 at 16:06
I love both bands but ELP takes it easily for me. Deep Purple had a good tune or two from each of the early albums up until Fireball which I found to be a stellar album at the time as well as Machine Head (obviously). But ELP's first 5 LP's are phenomenal IMHO. And as much as it gets maligned, I really liked works Vol 1 and about half of Works Vol 2. We won't discuss Love Beach.

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Date Posted: February 20 2016 at 16:30
could anyone imagine Blackmore in ELP

-------------

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: February 20 2016 at 16:34
The first three Deep Purple albums smoke anything I've ever heard from ELP....maybe except for Tarkus.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: February 20 2016 at 16:49
I prefer Deep Purple 68-70.
Then E.L.P. 70-74.
Anything outside of these I could live without.

Date Posted: February 20 2016 at 17:22
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

The first three Deep Purple albums smoke anything I've ever heard from ELP....maybe except for Tarkus.

The actual first 3...or do you mean 4, 5, and 6.....?

Wink

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: February 20 2016 at 19:36
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

could anyone imagine Blackmore in ELP

If Hendrix was going to join HELP then Blackmore could have joined BELP Wink

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: Pastmaster
Date Posted: February 20 2016 at 19:43
Deep Purple. In other words the band that doesn't make me want to blow up my speakers.

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: February 20 2016 at 22:58
ELP

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: February 21 2016 at 05:05
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

The actual first 3...or do you mean 4, 5, and 6.....?

Wink

Shades of Deep Purple, The Book of Taliesyn and the selftitled (the live thang with the symphony orchestra is brilliant as well)Big smile

I bought the classics first though, but aside for the occasional spin of Child in Time and the live album from Japan (got the 3 cd version), I almost never listen to that leg of their career. There's a raw and youthful exuberance to those early efforts that disappeared with the arrival of Ian.  

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Flight123
Date Posted: February 21 2016 at 05:34
Strange pairing but ELP easily - might have made more sense to compare Jon Lord against Emerson including compositional aspects.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: February 21 2016 at 07:11
man I love both.. but I have never voted 'both' in 11 years around this forum. That is a option for pussies and the weak minded.  Sometimes you have to make a choice damnit...

in that... the choice is easy.  Carl Palmer was slightly hotter and definitely had better hair than Ian Paice. Not to mention a smidge better drummer.

ELP baby.. but no slight on D.P which is one of the top 5 most played bands here in our home. Even more than ELP in fact...

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Cambus741
Date Posted: February 21 2016 at 08:41
Deep Purple for me.

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: February 21 2016 at 23:13
Ah the headliner from Cal Jam 74 and one of the warm acts. Like the best material from both. ELP' s Works is about 50% of one really fine album (the band tracks and Piano Concerto). I like Works 2; very eclectic. The second version of Purple's Concerto is sublime and a big improvement on the first.  the performance by the orchestra is more in tune with a rock band rather than displaying a snobbishness for a genre outside their own. The ballads Sometimes I Feel Like Screaming and Watching the Sky sound absolutely powerful and full with the orchestra. Purple are very versatile and the first CD goes through all the other aspects of the musical facets (jazz orchestras for example) that put Purple right at the forefront of progression rather than being summarily dismissed as a mere hard rock band.

One should not forget the Gemini Suite either; Purple's or Lord's. They both give very fine concert too. Welcome Back versus Made In Japan...? Probably go with the ELP as the jam at the end of Space Truckin' is a bit noisy and monotonous for me. Purple were a bit inconsistent with their live albums; I thought Made In Europe sounded very desultory, a bit like the oddly disappointing Yesshows. Live In London (touring after Burn) is far more incendiary.

ELP's classical rock is fine; probably go for the debut out of them all but I'd include Pictures in there as it is a perfectly valid album no matter it's recording circumstance.

I could imagine Blackmore with ELP actually. Might have been worth an album and tour - I think it is a very good idea and muso / personality match more so than if Hendrix joined up with the disintegrating Nice. Hendrix was possibly a bit more blues oriented to Emerson's Bach which makes Blackmore a more logical inclusion. Which probably will never happen.

Posted By: antonyus
Date Posted: February 22 2016 at 01:31
by lightyear Deep Purple

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: February 22 2016 at 09:22
Purple is cool

but

ELP for me

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: February 22 2016 at 10:30
From a Prog perspective...ELP.....No doubt.

-------------

Date Posted: February 22 2016 at 14:55
suprisingly and intriguingly even result so far, me likey

-------------

Date Posted: February 23 2016 at 12:49
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Ah the headliner from Cal Jam 74 and one of the warm acts. Like the best material from both. ELP' s Works is about 50% of one really fine album (the band tracks and Piano Concerto). I like Works 2; very eclectic. The second version of Purple's Concerto is sublime and a big improvement on the first.  the performance by the orchestra is more in tune with a rock band rather than displaying a snobbishness for a genre outside their own. The ballads Sometimes I Feel Like Screaming and Watching the Sky sound absolutely powerful and full with the orchestra. Purple are very versatile and the first CD goes through all the other aspects of the musical facets (jazz orchestras for example) that put Purple right at the forefront of progression rather than being summarily dismissed as a mere hard rock band.

One should not forget the Gemini Suite either; Purple's or Lord's. They both give very fine concert too. Welcome Back versus Made In Japan...? Probably go with the ELP as the jam at the end of Space Truckin' is a bit noisy and monotonous for me. Purple were a bit inconsistent with their live albums; I thought Made In Europe sounded very desultory, a bit like the oddly disappointing Yesshows. Live In London (touring after Burn) is far more incendiary.

ELP's classical rock is fine; probably go for the debut out of them all but I'd include Pictures in there as it is a perfectly valid album no matter it's recording circumstance.

I could imagine Blackmore with ELP actually. Might have been worth an album and tour - I think it is a very good idea and muso / personality match more so than if Hendrix joined up with the disintegrating Nice. Hendrix was possibly a bit more blues oriented to Emerson's Bach which makes Blackmore a more logical inclusion. Which probably will never happen.

Blackmore and Hendrix are /were respectivly both, forcess of nature.

-------------

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: February 23 2016 at 13:25
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

man I love both.. but I have never voted 'both' in 11 years around this forum. That is a option for pussies and the weak minded.  Sometimes you have to make a choice damnit...

in that... the choice is easy.  Carl Palmer was slightly hotter and definitely had better hair than Ian Paice. Not to mention a smidge better drummer.

ELP baby.. but no slight on D.P which is one of the top 5 most played bands here in our home. Even more than ELP in fact...

Both

-------------

Posted By: O666
Date Posted: February 24 2016 at 11:37
E.L.P

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: February 25 2016 at 18:14
People seem to forget just how great ELP was up to and including Brain Salad Surgery.

I haven't.

Date Posted: February 26 2016 at 04:20
Neither I, and I would include the group side of Works Vol. 1 as 'great' as well.

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: February 26 2016 at 04:31
None belong to the long list of my favorite bands, but I like the first ELP and the song Child in time

Date Posted: February 26 2016 at 08:51
I always thought ELP  didn't want a trad guitar sounding band which is why they formed a three man group.
Did they ever actually seriously consider a guitar player and audition any?

Regarding Blackmore and Hendrix....Blackmore certainly would have fit into ELP better but imho Hendrix was far more a force of nature than Blackmore who never really impressed me and even now I'm not that big a fan of DP. I do like many of their classic songs but  I actually like what Blackmore has done with his folk rock band more than most of the stuff he did with DP.

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: February 26 2016 at 09:46
Blackmore is a decent guitar player, nothing more, nothing less. Never understood all the adulation for him.......just like Page...........don't get me wrong, they are pretty good, but often rough and sloppy - Holdsworth runs rings around them............

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: August 31 2016 at 01:58
Deep Purple
I like ELP a lot but I just listen to DP more.

As for DP's classic period, it should be 1968-1975 (when Come Taste the Band was released, a fine album if you ask me).

Date Posted: August 31 2016 at 02:23
Just noticed, although ELP announced they were splitting in 1979, they effectively ceased operations with 'Love Beach' in 1978.  

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: August 31 2016 at 07:37
From any kind of perspective...Deep Purple .....No doubt. 

-------------

Posted By: aglasshouse
Date Posted: August 31 2016 at 10:40
Seeing as my favorite song from ELP is from Love Beach, I don't think they'd really top Purple for me.

-------------
http://fryingpanmedia.com

Posted By: Snow Dog
Date Posted: August 31 2016 at 10:46
You know my answer

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/Snow_Dog" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: MFP
Date Posted: August 31 2016 at 17:03
I Like ELP, but DP was one of the first bands I've ever heard in my teenage years and still love them.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: August 31 2016 at 21:02
OK, I got over Camel beating ELP... and now that I know Camel I may even agree to a point. But Deep Purple? In a prog site? This is weird.

Posted By: Terrapin Station
Date Posted: August 31 2016 at 21:31
I like both but ELP easily wins for me. ELP is in my top ten. I'm not sure that Deep Purple would make my top 100. That's not to suggest I don't like Deep Purple that much. I consider myself a fan of more than 1500 artists from a bunch of different genres--not all of them can be in my top 100.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk