Forum Description: Discuss any topic at all that is not music-related
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=106068
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 15:30
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 2016 NFL Thread
Posted By: Man With Hat
Subject: 2016 NFL Thread
Date Posted: March 08 2016 at 15:45
Well, with the start of free agency  tomorrow/today, the next season of the NFL is officially underway.

Also, Iwanted to start this to poke at our beloved lions fans, on a day that swirls the deja vu...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000642221/article/lions-announce-calvin-johnson-has-retired

Cry

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Replies:
Posted By: micky
Date Posted: March 08 2016 at 15:50
yeah but buck up man.. not a complete loss... at least Peyton retired! LOL

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: March 08 2016 at 16:01
At least Calvin can retire knowing that he won as many Super Bowls as all other former Lion "greats".  I suspect that this is a step in the wrong direction for the Lions, but it does free up a whole lot of money that if spent wisely.....might buy one other really good player.  :) 

-------------

Date Posted: March 08 2016 at 16:09
at least baseball season is coming Scott.  What do you think of the Tigers this year!?

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: March 08 2016 at 16:15
My tickets came in the mail last week so I am ready to go.  Any Tiger success this season will entirely depend upon whether or not the big guys can stay healthy.  They completely revamped the bullpen, which was their weakest link, but at this point I don't know if they actually plastered over the holes or just slapped wallpaper on top of them.  Pitching is definitely the number 1 question mark.  Both starters and relievers.  We may have to beat everyone 9-8; but that won't happen if the big guys don't stay healthy.

-------------

Date Posted: March 08 2016 at 16:17
I'll be watching closely.. the Tigers were always my second fav.. Behind the O's of course!

-------------

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: March 08 2016 at 16:39
Seahawks baby

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Date Posted: March 08 2016 at 17:00
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

At least Calvin can retire knowing that he won as many Super Bowls as all other former Lion "greats".  I suspect that this is a step in the wrong direction for the Lions, but it does free up a whole lot of money that if spent wisely.....might buy one other really good player.  :) 

Ehh...they could have signed him to an extension to rearrange some of that monster cap hit. Shame that Detroit just sucks the life out of it's stars. Tongue

Any thoughts of the hiring of Quinn?

-------------

Date Posted: March 08 2016 at 17:01
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Seahawks baby

I can't imagine them not being in the mix.

-------------

Date Posted: March 08 2016 at 17:29
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Ehh...they could have signed him to an extension to rearrange some of that monster cap hit. Shame that Detroit just sucks the life out of it's stars. Tongue

He's no Matt Millen....THANK GOD!!!!  I don't think that he will be turning the Lions into the next Patriots' dynasty, but I hope that he will at least bring some respectability to the team.

-------------

Date Posted: March 08 2016 at 19:04

He's no Matt Millen....THANK GOD!!!!  I don't think that he will be turning the Lions into the next Patriots' dynasty, but I hope that he will at least bring some respectability to the team.

LOL

I wonder if it would be possible to bring in someone as incompetent as MM (from someone who has been in the football world).

-------------

Date Posted: March 09 2016 at 16:46
Giants throwing around big money today.

Jenkins, Harrison, and Vernon.

Probably a bit rich, but I'm glad JR is trying. Smile And lord knows we need the help!

-------------

Date Posted: March 09 2016 at 17:07
The Lions replaced Calvin Johnson with Marvin Jones, who was rated the top wide receiver in free agency.  They also resigned Haloti Ngata; which it was important that they did that.

-------------

Date Posted: March 09 2016 at 17:15
I would think they would need to sign at least 22 more WRs to match Megatron's impact. Tongue Strangely enough, I saw that Jones turned down interest from the Patriots (and the Bangles) to join the lions. Curious to know what the pats were offering, however.

Ngata was a good move indeed.

-------------

Date Posted: March 11 2016 at 10:06
The Lions have enough problems with "too many men on the field" penalties.  What do you think would happen with 22 WRs?  :)

-------------

Date Posted: March 11 2016 at 13:59

The Lions have enough problems with "too many men on the field" penalties.  What do you think would happen with 22 WRs?  :)

^ Maybe be able to stop a hail mary pass?  Tongue

Too soon I'm sure! Embarrassed

-------------

Date Posted: March 11 2016 at 13:59
Also...lol at the broncos for signing the buttfumble, Mark Sanchez.

-------------

Posted By: AEProgman
Date Posted: March 11 2016 at 14:48
^ No! Really...crazy

Browns let Johnnie Football go, not surprising.

Steelers have been quiet thus far in FA, as usual.

-------------

Date Posted: March 11 2016 at 18:51
^I can't wait for the cowboys to pick up Johnny Football!!

As for your Steelers...they don't seem to have too many needs at the moment. Defense (specifically secondary) is a big issue but they can probably get away with dipping into the second or third wave of free agency and just use the draft for their needs.

-------------

Posted By: JJLehto
Date Posted: March 16 2016 at 02:54
If Sanchez is EVER going to prove himself, it's now. 
Elite defense, (Im sure will still very good in 2016) stacked with weapons, some time away from the cespool of the Jets. This is his time to finally shine. 

As mentioned in the last, happy about the Giants pick ups. Certainly address some major needs, and hope they can draft well. This year is too soon to be thinking SB or anything but I'm hoping for at least a return to respectability. If Eli and Beckham were able to drag the team as far as they did, a few improvements is all that's needed to go from 6 wins to 10 easy. 

The Calvin news was kinda crazy to me, flat out retirement but MWH hit it, good ol Detroit is a soul sucker. 
Painful as it is to say now, this does free up a lot of $ for the Lions, addition by subtraction is unsexy and unpopular but it does work. 

Posted By: Equality 7-2521
Date Posted: March 16 2016 at 11:54
I can't imagine that Sanchez is anything but plan Z for the Broncos. He was able to make it to AFC championships with similar teams on defense so maybe he could do something; especially since the Denver O skill pieces are much better than what the Jets had. Though I think Sanchez is kinda different after his shoulder injury. He just doesn't throw outside the hash anymore. Can't really have success doing that.

-------------
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "

Date Posted: March 18 2016 at 23:43
I have no doubt that is the case. We all knew Peyton was retiring but after Brock jumped ship, and who could blame him for getting that contract based of his play...and failing to score Kaep (though of course he'd be a disaster) they must've been desperate. 

He could be fine, but he could flub. Regardless I don't forsee him being anything more than fine, but Denver won a SB with a full season of less than fine QB play so who knows. 

Date Posted: March 23 2016 at 18:58
Several new rules passed today (and yesterday). My computer is being a penis so I can't copy the link...but I swear it happened.

-------------

Date Posted: April 27 2016 at 16:30
The 2016 draft will be kicking off in just over 24 hours. Anyone care to make predictions (or express hope) for their teams take this year??

How does out resident eagles fan(s?) feel about the trade up to #2? How does out resident the-rams-are-my-number-two-team feel about the trade up to #1?

-------------

Date Posted: April 27 2016 at 19:45
All I can hope for is the Giants draft is to continue to address needs
I am worried because in recent years they've been a lot more towards the "best available" strategy, but considering how many games we were in...just to have the defense blow it I hope they focus on defense and O line. 
Weapons are great but we need the core...Eli can work ODB and a bunch of #3 WRs

Date Posted: April 27 2016 at 21:10
Agreed. Though I would be happy if they take Elliot, if he falls to 10.

But LB and DE should be top priorities IMO. DT is supposedly deep this year, so perhaps get a bargain in the 3rd or 4th round.

-------------

Date Posted: April 27 2016 at 21:22
True, would be darn hard to say no but as we know, a crud O line will make a great back crud. 
For now, all we have that I am confident in is Richburg and Pugh. Flowers may develop, but that's a may...can always go either way. John Jerry has been a flop and Newhouse, oh godDead So I'm nervous. 

Yeah, would be nice to finally have a good LB again, and DE is deff a need. 
At least we have some OK LBs. He got hurt, but I remember that Unga was solid. Pass rush has to be the focus. 

Date Posted: April 27 2016 at 22:01
I problem I see at LB is lack of speed. Gmen have lots of bodies but they don't get after the ball, and obviously tackling ability is fluctuating at best. Could use a stud middle linebacker as well....Unga's young so juries still out for me.

You're higher on Pugh than I, although in fairness he has played approx. 14 different positions on the line in the past 3 years. I like Flowers, I think he'll develop...being a rookie thrown into the left tackle position is never a recipe for success, but I thought he played as solid as he could (don't have stats to back that up...just eye test). Biggest problem I recall was holding penalties, but that can (hopefully) be coached away/go with experience. That said if Stanly or somehow Tunsil is there, absolutely fine with that pick.

The thing about Elliot for me is...when was the last time the giants really had a dominant back that could handle all three phases on a consistent level?? Would be Tiki, and that was a decade ago. If Elliot pans out as expected (always an if admittedly) then some pressure will be taken off the passing game/Odell and hopefully make teams respect the play action (which teams shouldn't have done with the giants for several years).

Of course, as usual, it all depends what happens above them...it just seems like they will have some good options and will be interesting to see what JR values.

-------------

Date Posted: April 28 2016 at 07:38

The 2016 draft will be kicking off in just over 24 hours. Anyone care to make predictions (or express hope) for their teams take this year??

How does out resident eagles fan(s?) feel about the trade up to #2? How does out resident the-rams-are-my-number-two-team feel about the trade up to #1?

The Rams big trade made more sense than the Eagles big trade.  The Rams made the good trade deal for a bunch of picks a few years ago with Washington (RG3) and left them in a position to make the plunge this year...believe this is Fisher's last gasp to get over the top with the Rams, so he had nothing to lose.

The Eagles one a little bit of a surprise to me, since they still have Bradford (now whining) and I think they also signed Chase Daniel.  It is assumed they will draft Wentz as the Rams appear to be drafting Goff, I think both are not worth this much of a trade, but you never know anymore.  The Browns won out in this deal as they never have good luck picking QBs, so may as well trade down and get more picks.

I guess my Steelers will go for a DB or Safety as we seem to always struggle in the defensive backfield.  We pick 25th in round 1.

-------------

Date Posted: April 28 2016 at 21:12
Well, I know nothing about this Eli Apple but 1: His name is epic. 2: I applaud the fact they went with a cornerback. 3: From Ohio State so I feel pretty good

Date Posted: April 28 2016 at 22:59
Meh. Bit of a reach IMO...especially at a position that isn't the biggest need on defense.

I'll go on record to say they should of took Tunsil, but I assume they removed him from the board with his pot video being released.

-------------

Date Posted: April 29 2016 at 02:14
Yeah, I was never the biggest follower of college football while in college, since being done my knowledge has fallen to near 0 outside the few superstar names. So I pretty much rely on position and school, which I grant isn't the best wayLOL

Just glad they went defense. As I've said a defense/O line focus would make me happy. Agreed though, really gotta look to pass rusher and LB now

Date Posted: April 29 2016 at 14:09
^ Yeah...and the defense is terrible, so that's the main thing that I like about it. It's just at the 10th overall pick building depth shouldn't be the focus. It should be getting an impact player.

I read somewhere online that they wanted the LB Floyd (which was taken one pick ahead of them). Could be a smokescreen, but if it was true might have sent a slight bit of panic through the warroom. Ok sure, I just don't trust JR at the moment, so perhaps I'm being unfair with that comment.

Some good players still in play. I like the LB Ragland from Alabama, as well as both DTs. Not sure who will be in play 9 picks in, but it seems the giants might have some choices to get a good impact player (not resisted to the three I mentioned above of course).

-------------

Date Posted: April 30 2016 at 00:03
Or they can take another slot receiver.
At least the third round pick addressed a position of need.  

-------------

Date Posted: April 30 2016 at 00:37
Was a little disappointed to see them take a WR in the 2nd round, but went safety in the 3rd so that's good. I'm sure this guy from Oklahoma will work out, with the exception of Randle...Giants seem to do well in picking WRs
Here's hoping they can get some pass rush. 

Date Posted: April 30 2016 at 01:43
Other fun:
Penn State QB Christian Hackenberg was taken by the Jets. 
Wonder if he's gunna be their long term, (or even short) answer. 

Kid was breaking records and looked like a pro his freshman year, but that was with Bill O Brien as coach and a good O line. His next 2 years he got progressively worse and fell from beloved to despised by many. IDK...I saw a pretty crud o line in front of him and a new coach who seemed to change the system for the worse.
If he's given a chance to play on the pretty darn good Jets team, we shall see!

Another interesting QB is Braxton Miller of Ohio State. Remember when the kid was a legend himself? Then an injury cost him a season, OSU won the title despite using their #2 and 3 then Miller was made a WR his last year? I see he was drafted as a WR but that'd be one crazy transition...wonder what'll become of him in the NFL?

I know a good kicker is a good thing to have but the Buccs taking a kicker in the 2nd round!? And trading up to do so!!?? Oh manLOL

Date Posted: April 30 2016 at 15:53
Well, for the first time in team history that gmen did not draft an offensive nor defensive linemen. I guess this means Newhouse is here to stay. Cry they did snag a linebacker at least.

Based on need and perceived value can't give the giants a great draft grade. I'm thinking a C at this point. Here's hoping JR knows what he is going. (Or blows it so bad he is fired at season's end.)

-------------

Date Posted: April 30 2016 at 15:58
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Other fun:
Penn State QB Christian Hackenberg was taken by the Jets. 
Wonder if he's gunna be their long term, (or even short) answer. 

Kid was breaking records and looked like a pro his freshman year, but that was with Bill O Brien as coach and a good O line. His next 2 years he got progressively worse and fell from beloved to despised by many. IDK...I saw a pretty crud o line in front of him and a new coach who seemed to change the system for the worse.
If he's given a chance to play on the pretty darn good Jets team, we shall see!

Another interesting QB is Braxton Miller of Ohio State. Remember when the kid was a legend himself? Then an injury cost him a season, OSU won the title despite using their #2 and 3 then Miller was made a WR his last year? I see he was drafted as a WR but that'd be one crazy transition...wonder what'll become of him in the NFL?

I know a good kicker is a good thing to have but the Buccs taking a kicker in the 2nd round!? And trading up to do so!!?? Oh manLOL

I kinda like Hackenburg. Sure he plummeted quite impressively, but I can't imagine the promise and skill he showed in his first season just vanished completely. Lets see if the jets are the right team for him.

Miller was drafted as a WR. so I assume he will try and learn the position. If nothing else he can be used for receiver throws and an emergency QB option if it all goes to hell again for the Texans.

And love the aggressiveness for a kicker. Tongue But no...that was probably unneeded. My guess is they thought NE would draft him (as it seems like a very NE thing to do) and wanted to get in front of them. We shall see if it turns out well. He was quite a beast in college.

Speaking of QBs...the raiders trading up to select Connor Cook?! This seems like a slight misstep in a pretty good draft overall for them (at least the early rounds...no idea who else they picked today).

-------------

Posted By: Equality 7-2521
Date Posted: May 01 2016 at 08:17

Was a little disappointed to see them take a WR in the 2nd round, but went safety in the 3rd so that's good. I'm sure this guy from Oklahoma will work out, with the exception of Randle...Giants seem to do well in picking WRs

Dude that WR is a stud and you have one worthwhile skill player on your offense. I think you should be megahyped.

-------------
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "

Posted By: Plankowner
Date Posted: June 26 2016 at 10:32
Here's an interesting draft report from Brett on Hackenberg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUh7Tia8pWM" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUh7Tia8pWM

His OL was absolutely dismal .. I have hopes for him.

Date Posted: June 26 2016 at 12:02
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Dude that WR is a stud and you have one worthwhile skill player on your offense. I think you should be megahyped.

Oh its more that I know nothing of college football. I used to follow it/know more a bit when I was going but since graduating....if you're not one of the TOP names that gets like national attention, I have no idea who anyone is. Never heard of Odell Beckham beforeLOL So that's all. Hey we need another WR outside ODB so if he turns out to be a stud, I'll be elated. 

Date Posted: June 26 2016 at 12:06
Originally posted by Plankowner Plankowner wrote:

Here's an interesting draft report from Brett on Hackenberg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUh7Tia8pWM" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUh7Tia8pWM

His OL was absolutely dismal .. I have hopes for him.

Yeah his freshman year at Penn State he was setting records, looked like a legit pocket QB with confidence, poise, and I believe was #2 or 3 in the nation on deep balls. 
He had a great o line and a pretty darn good coach in someone named Bill O Brien that was from some team called the NE PatriotsLOL

His O line deff went to crap after, (fun fact in a game against Temple one play made our FB pages where two d-linemen managed to get through our line of 5 and sack Hackenberg...) and our play calling went to crap as well after O Brien. Very predictable, stale, plays were often not well designed even and he didnt seem to utilize our players well, but instead force schemes on them. 

Shame what it did to Hack

Date Posted: August 23 2016 at 00:06
BUMP

Pre season is on. Doesn't mean a thing to me except that real football is around the corner!

I've heard alot of mockery at the idea of Sanchez leading the Broncos, how terrible they'll be etc etc
I can't believe how blinded by QBs we truly are. Has everyone forgotten/ignored Peyton was garbage the entire season? Got dragged to a title by that elite defense, strong run game and dual WR threat. 
Thomas and Sanders, CJ Anderson are still there.  
Von Miller, Ware, Talib, Harris most of the defense is still there. 

Sanchez may do fine. While he needs the perfect set up, we've seen he can be competent when given this. He's the worst pressure passer ever....literally one defender closing the pocket makes him fall apart so I think that may doom him, but really the Broncos may be quite fine. Sanchez, with this team, can't be as bad as Peyton. 

I'm pretty much purely "wait and see" on my Giants. We all know the offense will be fine, it's all on whether the never ending disaster of defense and O line can be solved. 
The addition of Jenkins, Harrison and Vernon has to shore up our d line and secondary a bit. DRC was a long bright spot, if Jenkins can play well, (let's see what Eli Apple does) secondary may be OK. 
JPP played as well as one could expect from a guy who now has 8.5 fingers, fell totally out of playing shape and missed half the season. We shall see if he can improve at all. My guess is a bit but putting little stock into him.

O line has me gravely concerned. Beatty was injury prone but a stud, with him gone our tackles are now forced to be Flowers and Newhouse. I will give Flowers botd of being of a RT thrust into starting LT, and hope he develops. Newhouse is awful. John Jerry, total garbage. Pugh and Richburg, very good. 
So I have faith in 2/5. Possibly we can get 3 good ones this year. This is at best though, 3 out of 5 with two utter trash. Oi...

Date Posted: September 04 2016 at 07:30
Its about to begin!

Interesting trades and pickups yesterday, Bradford to the Vikings (tough break for them and Bridgewater).  Sanchez cut by Broncos and signs with the Cowboys as backup for now.

Picks for playoffs in no particular order:
AFC
Steelers Big smile
Patriots
Colts
Chiefs
Bengals
Broncos or Jags?

NFC
Redskins
Packers
Panthers
Seahawks
Cardinals
Vikings (still give them a shot)

-------------

Date Posted: September 04 2016 at 13:15

What they gave up for Bradford indicates to me that Tteddy Bs injury might be more severe than reported.

-------------

Date Posted: September 04 2016 at 13:18

BUMP

Pre season is on. Doesn't mean a thing to me except that real football is around the corner!

I've heard alot of mockery at the idea of Sanchez leading the Broncos, how terrible they'll be etc etc
I can't believe how blinded by QBs we truly are. Has everyone forgotten/ignored Peyton was garbage the entire season? Got dragged to a title by that elite defense, strong run game and dual WR threat. 
Thomas and Sanders, CJ Anderson are still there.  
Von Miller, Ware, Talib, Harris most of the defense is still there. 

Sanchez may do fine. While he needs the perfect set up, we've seen he can be competent when given this. He's the worst pressure passer ever....literally one defender closing the pocket makes him fall apart so I think that may doom him, but really the Broncos may be quite fine. Sanchez, with this team, can't be as bad as Peyton. 

I'm pretty much purely "wait and see" on my Giants. We all know the offense will be fine, it's all on whether the never ending disaster of defense and O line can be solved. 
The addition of Jenkins, Harrison and Vernon has to shore up our d line and secondary a bit. DRC was a long bright spot, if Jenkins can play well, (let's see what Eli Apple does) secondary may be OK. 
JPP played as well as one could expect from a guy who now has 8.5 fingers, fell totally out of playing shape and missed half the season. We shall see if he can improve at all. My guess is a bit but putting little stock into him.

O line has me gravely concerned. Beatty was injury prone but a stud, with him gone our tackles are now forced to be Flowers and Newhouse. I will give Flowers botd of being of a RT thrust into starting LT, and hope he develops. Newhouse is awful. John Jerry, total garbage. Pugh and Richburg, very good. 
So I have faith in 2/5. Possibly we can get 3 good ones this year. This is at best though, 3 out of 5 with two utter trash. Oi...

Ol buttfumble didn't even make the team...I think that says alot about how bad he wwould've been.

Also...the NFC east will be interesting this year, yet again, thanks to ineptitude. No idea who to call it with, but these are the conditions were theredskins usually make the playoffs.

-------------

Date Posted: September 08 2016 at 14:34
Well, being hours away from kickoff I suppose I can't delay making predictions now.

In order:

NFC:
Packers
Cardinals
Panthers
Giants
Seahawks
Buccaneers

AFC:
Steelers
Patriots
Colts
Raiders
Texans
Bengals

Attempts to save face: Both the NFC east and AFC  west are wide open imo. The east, strictly for ineptitude. I hestitate to call for a giants win, and this is typically the type of environment that leads to the redskins getting the division crown, but I can't put in all the same teams from last year... The west...compelling arguments can be made for each team to win the division or finish 6-10 (or worse). I'll gamble on upside this year.

The last wildcard spots should be fun in both divisions. No one really stands out as a favorite in my eye. I'll give it tov upside in the NFC and the ol' stalwarts in the AFC. (Though part of me wanted to put the jags in there...I suspect they are a year away)

Looking forward to 2016,.

-------------

Date Posted: September 08 2016 at 16:13
I've seen Lions' predictions as bold as 12 and 4 and as bad as 3 and 13.  Being the optimistic pessimist that I am 4 and 12 sounds about right to me.

-------------

Date Posted: September 08 2016 at 17:39
lol 12-4?! You think people would be more realistic about the lions...

-------------

Date Posted: September 08 2016 at 21:44
Well, this game is going to show that with a good team, you really don't need a stud QB (though Peyton's garbage season last year should've already been proof of that!)
Denver currently up, being led by someone who hasn't thrown one pass in regulation and wasn't even a full time starter in college!

Doubt it'll be quite the same crushing level as last year, but that Denver D is mostly intact, solid backs and offensive weapons. I fully expect this team to be a playoff contender regardless of who plays QB. 

As for the Lions...well 12-4 is a bit nutty LOL but there's still Stafford, some solid albeit unspectacular WRs, defense may be a huge ? but I don't know...I wanna say it reminds me of the Giants how Eli and the whole team improved and improved as key players left. Always felt he was too dependent on Plax and he stepped up once that easy target was removed. Then again, this is Detroit lol Perhaps 6 wins?

Date Posted: September 09 2016 at 08:17
Heck of a first game of the season...the new Bronco QB did not look bad.

^I have heard mixed expectations of the Lions via the talking heads, a couple have predicted playoffs...don't know about 12-4 though Big smile.

-------------

Posted By: Padraic
Date Posted: September 09 2016 at 08:26
Panthers blew it.  Cam disappeared in the second half.  Kudos to the Broncos D, though, once again.

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: September 09 2016 at 19:53
Originally posted by Padraic Padraic wrote:

Panthers blew it.  Cam disappeared in the second half.  Kudos to the Broncos D, though, once again.

I doubt anybody would play well after taking four shots to the head.  Ouch

Date Posted: September 10 2016 at 00:53

I was gunna say, some credit must be given to Denver. 

Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

I doubt anybody would play well after taking four shots to the head.  Ouch

I will say, it is kind of amazing how inconsistent the NFL still is. Despite the crackdown on safety, head hits, and the backlash that came from fans over how inconsistent rules have been....if what happened to Cam happened to Brady let's say, the whole Broncos defense would be expelledLOL I get it's the human element that can never be truly eliminated, but the penalties I see called for roughing up QBs, WRs etc etc than some sh*t that goes by unpenalized...boggles my mind. 

Anywho excited and nervous about the Giants/Cowboys game. I have 0 idea what to expect. Same with the whole NFC east honestly. Dallas should be the team to beat, but the QB situation now makes em a ? Philly I find it hard to see much success from. I wanna say it'll be between the Giants and Skins. 
We were a collective few minutes away from a 10/11 win season....with the Giants' defensive upgrades, some more weapons on offense I wanna say they are not far off from a very successful season. 

Or they will go 6/7 wins again and look like garbage. I really dont know anymore LOL

Posted By: MillsLayne
Date Posted: September 11 2016 at 16:27
Well, looks like Jim Caldwell's mentality of starting out super aggressive/fast then coming to a halt is in full effect.  Had a 21-3 lead, now 21-18. Unhappy

-------------
http://gamercards.exophase.com/xbox/user/MillsLayne/" rel="nofollow">

ht

Date Posted: September 11 2016 at 18:52
GIANTS! 
I suppose not the best way to win. but I'll sure as hell take it. 

Some very positive signs: Eli looked very good. Not that I had much concern, but ya know first game rust... 
Cruuuuuuuz is back! 
Shepard with a touchdown. 

If Cruz can return to even 80% of his old self, and Shepard is as good as many think, in addition to ODB this offense could be nasty. 
The run game was shockingly pretty decent. Not getting hopes up after 1 game though. 

Given Dallas' line is elite, Im happy with how they played the run, secondary made some stops. All I can say is a pretty solid game, and I'm optimistic. If Shepard develops and Cruz can be solid, I have some high hopes, though really need that defense to prove the offseason $ was worth it!

Date Posted: September 11 2016 at 22:33
Lions tried like hell to lose it late again, but Matthew Stafford was not going to be denied, and happily, Matt Prater redeemed himself by kicking the game winner!  I hate blowing big leads, but they are starting to show some poise in these tight matchups.

-------------

ht

Date Posted: September 11 2016 at 23:34
Yeah, it's obviously never good but I always will take the team that can, regularly, prove it's capable of winning tight/ugly games or in not ideal conditions, than the machines that stomp opponents by 30. 
Exception of course the Pats, who never blow it, never falter, do everything right lol 

Speaking of...I've made the claim in the past, while totally admitting Brady is good, that he is largely a system QB (kudos to Bill much as I hate him for creating this nebulous, always perfect running system). I felt a bit vindicated after Matt Cassel, and now again. I know there was a missed FG but just ugh, do they ever lose? LOL

Yeah, I think I said the loss of Calvin could (could) be a plus for the Lions...kind of remove the safety net, and force everyone to step up, much like what happened with the loss of Tiki and Shockey for the Giants. Stafford seems to have developed from a "lob it to CJ" to legit QB

Oh and talks of Drew Brees' demise have been greatly exaggerated. 423, 4/0. Shame the defense still sucks. 

Speaking of, anyone think this is the year Clowney finally breaks out? If so, with Watt and Mercilus....god damn

Date Posted: September 12 2016 at 01:50
^I think tonight with Arizona/New England, it was a combo of great play by the Pats, but also Arizona just never really looked that good, never comfortable.  NE controlled that game from the start.

-------------

ht

Date Posted: September 12 2016 at 08:14

Speaking of...I've made the claim in the past, while totally admitting Brady is good, that he is largely a system QB 

This is pretty much the definition of "damning with faint praise".

You're wrong, of course, but there's nothing I can say to change your mind.

Date Posted: September 12 2016 at 23:41
All I'm saying is Brady always had very good, though unspectacular numbers up to 2007. 60-64% completion rate, mid 3000 to low 4000 yards, always 20-30 TD range and a generally 2-1 TD/INT ratio. He had teams with good defense, run game I just am saying that Brady is an undoubtedly very good QB, but I never actually thought of him as god tier...just a very good QB on a good team. Much like successful QBs of the past. Or heck even today...Russel Wilson, very good QB not sure I'd put him in the elite category. Hell Peyton looked liked sh*t all 2015 and was dragged to a SB win.

It was 2007 on things started getting a little whacky and his numbers went to Madden mode. 

Also, 2007 was when he got Randy Moss. Or in recent years, Aaron Hernandez and Gronk. Remember how night and day the offense looked without and with Gronk? I know it may sound bad, and yeah I have a history of being a rabble rouser since it's fun, but I do think my claim is legit and it's not a knock on Brady. More like a realistic assessment. 

I give huge credit to Bill, he's created something special. He can plug in anyone and make it work. Sure, Brady helps big time but also..Matt Cassel of all people lead them to 11-5. Bill has created a beautiful system, all these slot WRs, spread, a deadly efficient QB who can run the system in his sleep, add in a Gronk and it's a winner. I am sincere this time in that I'm not trying to bash Brady, who's undeniably very good, and Bill who despite my deep issues with is probably the coach of this generation. I mean same on defense, he can go from 3-4 to 4-3 year to year, plug in players, he's very non ideological. As time has gone on I still dislike Bill but have grown to appreciate the rarity of what he's done. 

Date Posted: September 12 2016 at 23:50
Seems like the normal for Pitt. Big Ben is still good and Deangelo Williams defies age. Antonio Brown is a beast. 

The Rams have abandoned St Louis and moved to LA but same ol same ol.... 10 first downs in a whole game? Keenum sucked, Gurley was contained. Their best WR remains Kenny Britt. Oi LA is in for a bad yearLOL

Date Posted: September 13 2016 at 00:26
LOL

First game back in LA and the rams secure a gooseegg.

-------------

Date Posted: September 13 2016 at 04:26
Lions - 1 down 11 to go!  :)

As far as Brady goes, I've always wondered if you put him behind the Detroit Lions' offensive line, does he put up the kind of numbers and win the championships that he has or did he fizzle out many years ago and go down in history as just another Lions' quarterback who spent most of his games lying on his back looking at the ceiling with 300 pound defensive linemen lying on top of him. 

-------------

Date Posted: September 13 2016 at 06:49
Steelers O looked good as advertised (even the pinball TD catch LOL), the D still has issues but hopefully they can gel.  Thank God for Williams, nice to have 2 good running backs.

Hope we can stay clear of the injury bug this year...

St. Louis city had to have a huge smile on their faces as the LA lambs...er, Rams stunk up the joint.

-------------

Date Posted: September 13 2016 at 08:46

As far as Brady goes, I've always wondered if you put him behind the Detroit Lions' offensive line, does he put up the kind of numbers and win the championships that he has or did he fizzle out many years ago and go down in history as just another Lions' quarterback who spent most of his games lying on his back looking at the ceiling with 300 pound defensive linemen lying on top of him. 

It's possible, but you could make that argument for Bradshaw, Montana, and Aikman as well.

Date Posted: September 13 2016 at 09:54

It's possible, but you could make that argument for Bradshaw, Montana, and Aikman as well.
Definitely.  Obviously it is all hypothetical but as a long-suffering Lions' fan, you are led to always wonder "what if?"  It was always a debate with Barry Sanders.  How good might he have been with the Redskins offensive line in front of him?  On the other hand, was the Lions' offensive line really that bad in front of him or was it nearly an impossible task to try and block for a guy who you had no idea where he was or where he might be going since he improvised most of his runs on the spot.

-------------

Date Posted: September 13 2016 at 22:08

I mean, Brady (and he's obviously not close to alone in this) does tend to do less well under pressure than without. Again kudos to Bill for nearly always maintaining a great line in front of him, but the few times he can get pressured, he's rattled. I think Scott's point is very valid.
What you say is also valid, but that's exactly it...QBs even today still get a bit too much credit. Like I said look at Wilson, or even Brees and Peyton. Their SB wins came when they had some degree of a better run game and with good defenses. A superb QB can maybe drag a team farther than they should, but a good team can also drag a busted and woeful Peyton Manning all the way to a SB win. 

Date Posted: September 13 2016 at 23:22
On a more fun note. 

"The Los Angeles Rams have still not scored a point since Dec 24, 1994" Oh that one's brutalLOL

Date Posted: September 14 2016 at 07:20

I mean, Brady (and he's obviously not close to alone in this) does tend to do less well under pressure than without. Again kudos to Bill for nearly always maintaining a great line in front of him, but the few times he can get pressured, he's rattled. I think Scott's point is very valid.
What you say is also valid, but that's exactly it...QBs even today still get a bit too much credit. Like I said look at Wilson, or even Brees and Peyton. Their SB wins came when they had some degree of a better run game and with good defenses. A superb QB can maybe drag a team farther than they should, but a good team can also drag a busted and woeful Peyton Manning all the way to a SB win. 

It's a team game, and to win championships you need excellence in all phases of the game.

All great championship winning quarterbacks had great teams.

Date Posted: September 14 2016 at 08:54
Dan Marino may have been the best throwing quarterback of the last 30 years, but he never won a Super Bowl.  I think mostly because Miami never really had a very good defense.  Although at one time they had a good nickname "The Killer Bees", as many of their better defensive players last names began with the letter B.

-------------

Date Posted: September 14 2016 at 10:01

Dan Marino may have been the best throwing quarterback of the last 30 years, but he never won a Super Bowl.  I think mostly because Miami never really had a very good defense.  Although at one time they had a good nickname "The Killer Bees", as many of their better defensive players last names began with the letter B.

It was the Patriots who ruined what would have surely been one of the greatest Super Bowls ever, and Miami's last chance to get Marino a ring.  Miami was the only team to beat Chicago that year.

Date Posted: September 18 2016 at 10:12
Giants/Saints. NO has NO defense, but we have hopefully improved ours...so praying its not another 90 point shootout like last year. But Dak Prescott wasn't really a test, so today will be.

EDIT: So far, 0-0....guess that's a semi good sign. Glad to see us holding them out, but how the hell are we pitching a 0 so far??? ugh
EDIT: oh, found a live stream. Apparently 3 fumbles is how the Giants have 0 points. jesus.I mean, clearly the defense has held but this is the Saints...they can light up at any point, those 3 fumbles are basically a game killer. 

Date Posted: September 18 2016 at 12:38
Classic lions performance just before halftime!

-------------

Date Posted: September 18 2016 at 13:14
It was a 53 yarder, so guess it's forgivable but a missed Josh Brown FG AND penalties put the Giants in a 1st & 30....despite moving the ball all day Giants lead 10-3 with a return TD being the only score. Oi....

Ouch, Jimmy is out for NE, looks they are down to the #3. They were already up huge in this game but ya know, 3 TD game from Jimmy, if the 3rd stringer plays well can we finally admit Brady is part of a really really good system and not the GOAT? LOL

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: September 18 2016 at 13:49

Some new guy named Pen Alties is leading the Lions in total yardage.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: September 18 2016 at 14:22
Is it too early to start the chant "FIRE CALDWELL"? I suppose watching the Lions like I have for 5 decades, one would see every conceivable way a team can lose a game. The Lions continue to offer new methods of blowing things. 138 yards in penalties? Three TDs called back? That sloppiness can be placed on the players, certainly, but the head coach is responsible to instill discipline in a team. And the human fence post is probably still standing on the sidelines, staring blankly at nothing. 

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined

Date Posted: September 18 2016 at 14:22
Win is a win, but holy sh*t that was uuuuugly. That win goes pretty much entirely to the defense and Victor Cruz, who thus far is playing like he didn't miss nearly 2 years due to horrible injury. 
Offense is showing some nasty potential...can really move the ball and put up killer points, just gotta cut out these dumb ass mistakes. 

Technically great game from Eli 78% complete 368 yards, no picks. Since I had to listen on radio I can't tell if he really had many errors, but sounded like there were a few dropped balls that were not his doing, and the fumbles and mistakes pretty much removed him from ever reaching the red zone. I know one fumble was his doing. Still, pretty excited about a 2-0 start and dare I say....I have some actual hope for the team Shocked

Cowboys eek out a win, my boy Greg Olsen is having a beast game for Carolina, Baltimore comes back against Cleveland (what??)

Date Posted: September 18 2016 at 14:25
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

a

I suppose you could say it was a classic lions performance just at the end game too. Tongue

-------------

Date Posted: September 18 2016 at 14:28

Win is a win, but holy sh*t that was uuuuugly. That win goes pretty much entirely to the defense and Victor Cruz, who thus far is playing like he didn't miss nearly 2 years due to horrible injury. 
Offense is showing some nasty potential...can really move the ball and put up killer points, just gotta cut out these dumb ass mistakes. 

Technically great game from Eli 78% complete 368 yards, no picks. Since I had to listen on radio I can't tell if he really had many errors, but sounded like there were a few dropped balls that were not his doing, and the fumbles and mistakes pretty much removed him from ever reaching the red zone. I know one fumble was his doing. Still, pretty excited about a 2-0 start and dare I say....I have some actual hope for the team Shocked

Cowboys eek out a win, my boy Greg Olsen is having a beast game for Carolina, Baltimore comes back against Cleveland (what??)

Yeah...drops were a concern for sure. Beckham dropped two TDs for one...Cruz had a big drop, though certainly redeemed himself with the last catch. Perhaps a little too conservative with the playcalls but with a tough/ugly game for a win is surely a win.

-------------

Date Posted: September 18 2016 at 14:29

a

I suppose you could say it was a classic lions performance just at the end game too. Tongue

^ That loss is going to come back and bit them. The Titans suck. Which I guess means the Lions suck harder.Angry

-------------

Date Posted: September 18 2016 at 15:31
whoo hoo.... great start to the season here. Clap Not that I've watched a single second of it. 

0-2 and if lucky... that team and its f**king owner don't win a single game this season.

Go Giants.. make it so..  0-3.. you want to beat the &^&skins LOL

-------------

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: September 18 2016 at 17:41
Von Miller is the man.

Broncos on the road again

-------------

Date Posted: September 18 2016 at 20:29
Wouldn't be so sure Mick. Skins seem to have our number lately, and while they seem improved thus far....still the GiantsLOL After 2 tight wins, an epic blowout to the Skins sounds par for the course!
In fact given Cousins played pretty darn solid, Desean and Garcon I expected a pretty good pass game this year. 

Yeah Von Miller is a beast. Defense plus Kubiak's conservative, efficient pass game will take that team into the playoffs for sure. 

Dang, Cards trashed the Buccs. That secondary is nasty, and long as Palmer stays healthy that's a darn good team. 

Date Posted: September 19 2016 at 08:02
Third stringer against the Texans D with three days to prepare?

As William Shakespeare once said, "LOL"

Date Posted: September 19 2016 at 08:05

a

^ That loss is going to come back and bit them. The Titans suck. Which I guess means the Lions suck harder.Angry
I suppose that the bandwagon won't be making a stop at my house this year.  No reason to waste my Sundays on that lot this fall.

-------------

Date Posted: September 19 2016 at 08:30
^ Lions (and a few others) ruined my pool picks yesterday Unhappy

Steelers did ok in their win over the Bengals, it was a sloppy game with all the rain.  So glad we picked up Williams, almost 100 yards rushing plus good passing yardage also.  The defense still scares me as Dalton lit them up and I don't think we have a sack yet this season...but a win is a win.

-------------

Date Posted: September 19 2016 at 23:44

...am I really about to put more faith in the Pats than you?LOL
Not gunna predict a win but NE can absolutely win this, I wouldn't be shocked at all. 
Houston's offense isn't so great, NE can win a defensive struggle. Pass that Blount around hard is all. 
I do have him on fantasy as well so yeah, but really run blount alot, throw those short efficient passes NE excels at (and really anyone should be able to do at the pro level as many rookies have shown) and there ya go. 

Also I don't follow the games, but shockingly (given their losses) PFF had NE ranked as the #3 secondary going into this year. Dont know if this has held up thus far but I'm a big believer in secondaries, a bit unheralded but critical. 

Date Posted: September 19 2016 at 23:51
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

^ Lions (and a few others) ruined my pool picks yesterday Unhappy

Steelers did ok in their win over the Bengals, it was a sloppy game with all the rain.  So glad we picked up Williams, almost 100 yards rushing plus good passing yardage also.  The defense still scares me as Dalton lit them up and I don't think we have a sack yet this season...but a win is a win.
Yeah talk about escaping father time. All this talk of the oldest RB in the NFL Id sure as hell take him. 
True, the vaulted Steelers defense is long gone. They've gotten with the times (like it or notLOL) and Ben and that killer offense is the team now. Once Bell is back....that's gunna be scary

Date Posted: September 20 2016 at 07:41

...am I really about to put more faith in the Pats than you?LOL
Not gunna predict a win but NE can absolutely win this, I wouldn't be shocked at all. 
Houston's offense isn't so great, NE can win a defensive struggle. Pass that Blount around hard is all. 
I do have him on fantasy as well so yeah, but really run blount alot, throw those short efficient passes NE excels at (and really anyone should be able to do at the pro level as many rookies have shown) and there ya go. 

Also I don't follow the games, but shockingly (given their losses) PFF had NE ranked as the #3 secondary going into this year. Dont know if this has held up thus far but I'm a big believer in secondaries, a bit unheralded but critical. 

Blount has really stepped up these two games, nice to see.  Yeah, I'm sure he'll get plenty of touches Thursday.  I still would be quite surprised if the Pats win, Brissett put together one decent drive in the second half but then kind of went away, while the defense decided to stop playing for some reason.

In any case, it's all gravy to me.  I was going to be happy with 2-2 and I stand by it.

Date Posted: September 22 2016 at 21:20

oof. what a terrible game

-------------

Date Posted: September 22 2016 at 22:31
The Patriots might truly be scary this year.  They aren't even at full strength yet.

-------------

ht

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: September 23 2016 at 04:59
Brady & Gronk to come back, they be quite good.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: September 23 2016 at 05:27
Hatriot Nation's collective head must be exploding right about now. Three games without Tom and still three wins. Clap

And I'm not even a Pats fan. What's that? A non Pats fan who doesn't think they are Satan incarnate? I know, crazy right? 

Date Posted: September 23 2016 at 13:32
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Hatriot Nation's collective head must be exploding right about now. Three games without Tom and still three wins. Clap

And I'm not even a Pats fan. What's that? A non Pats fan who doesn't think they are Satan incarnate? I know, crazy right? 

I kind of feel the same way.  Since my Lions are still probably far off from a Super Bowl berth, I don't necessarily mind it.

-------------

ht

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: September 24 2016 at 07:24
Austin Seferian-Drinkin

Date Posted: September 25 2016 at 12:26
Welp, time to put away my Lions gear already... 

-------------

ht

Date Posted: September 25 2016 at 22:37
Nah most non Pats fans have just been saying constantly this validates what many of us think, that Brady is just a good QB that is more a system QB than anything elseSmile

Date Posted: September 25 2016 at 22:43
As for my team. Well.....I did say I expect the Giants to loseLOL So I guess I'm not as bummed as I should be?
I couldn't watch the game, so I dont know what happened in between my checks when the score went from 21-6 NY to 24-21 WashCry

I see 2 Eli picks and 118 yards in penalties...which seem like pretty major culprits. Indeed, seems his picks were pretty bad, but what I am more curious about is: What happened to the defense????
I'd ask how on Earth do they limit New Orleans to 13 but let Kirk Cousins mount a comeback and lead take, but like I said: I basically expected this as it would be par for the course for them. Oi....With Philly and Dallas also winning, well yeah. This one hurts. 

Guess at least it's not the Jets. 6 picks?? Ouch. 

Denver's pass game lights up as I chose a horrific time to bench Sanders Cry

Date Posted: September 26 2016 at 07:42

Nah most non Pats fans have just been saying constantly this validates what many of us think, that Brady is just a good QB that is more a system QB than anything elseSmile

So Josh McDaniels is the greatest offensive mind in NFL history?

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk