Print Page | Close Window

Good 'Progressive Pop' bands?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific prog albums
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=106153
Printed Date: May 06 2024 at 08:13
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Good 'Progressive Pop' bands?
Posted By: GreatBeyonder
Subject: Good 'Progressive Pop' bands?
Date Posted: March 15 2016 at 22:33
I just made up the term, but the closest description your archive has is 'Progressive/crossover', so I'll just describe and list some examples so you get the gist of what I mean.

'Definition'- A brand of music that emphasizes harmony, melody, and accessibility while displaying a fondness for instrumental virtuosity, multi-part song structures, and a focus on non-traditional topics.

Examples- The Moody Blues (a la DoFP or ToOCCC), Supertramp (a la CotC), the Beatles (a la Abbey Road's famous musical suite), and I suppose Pink Floyd's Barrett and certain 70s stuff (TPatGoD, ASoS, Meddle, DSotM)

Does anyone see what I'm, aiming at? I don't mean throwaway stuff like Lucky Man or I Know What I Like (In Your Wardrobe) but bands that overtly melded the hallmarks of progressive rock with a fondness for typical song structure without just being a really good pop musician. (a la folks like Stevie Wonder or Paul McCartney.)

Replies:
Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: March 15 2016 at 23:08
Alan Parsons Project.

Date Posted: March 15 2016 at 23:38
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Alan Parsons Project.

I've actually never checked them out, though I know Alan Parsons worked on Dark Side of the Moon. Will definitely give their stuff a listen though. :)

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: March 15 2016 at 23:46
Kate Bush, Sufjan Stevens, Super Furry Animals, Slap Happy, Mew, Split Enz, 10cc, Manfred Mann's Earth Band, Ambrosia (1st two), Asia, 80s Yes

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: March 16 2016 at 00:03
For me XTC and Steely Dan fit that bill.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: March 16 2016 at 00:59
@siLLy puPPy: Already exhausted Kate Bush, Yes, and Asia. (The Buggles' first album is amazing, btw.) Will check out the rest.

@dr wu23: Skylarking is one of my fave albums to this day. but I could never get into Steely Dan. I feel like if I was a bitter and confused Wall Street broker facing the latest recession crisis, a Steely Dan record would be the soundtrack I blow my brains out to.

Date Posted: March 16 2016 at 12:48
Originally posted by GreatBeyonder GreatBeyonder wrote:

@dr wu23: Skylarking is one of my fave albums to this day. but I could never get into Steely Dan. I feel like if I was a bitter and confused Wall Street broker facing the latest recession crisis, a Steely Dan record would be the soundtrack I blow my brains out to.

Steely Dan can be a bit overbearing lyrically at times but it's great music.
Roxy Music might fit your need....though I'm sure you already know their music.
Try Mansun....they only did 2 good albums.........and Game Theory....interesting quirky proggy pop from the late 80's.

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: March 16 2016 at 15:59
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Steely Dan can be a bit overbearing lyrically at times but it's great music.
Roxy Music might fit your need....though I'm sure you already know their music.
Try Mansun....they only did 2 good albums.........and Game Theory....interesting quirky proggy pop from the late 80's.

Will definitely check them out. (And yeah, Brian Eno is the man.)

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: March 16 2016 at 16:42

Alan Parsons Project.

I've actually never checked them out, though I know Alan Parsons worked on Dark Side of the Moon. Will definitely give their stuff a listen though. :)

I think I Robot and Tales of Mystery and Imagination is essential listening.

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: March 16 2016 at 17:44
the Zombies - Odessey and Oracles, Procol Harum - A Salty Dog and Grand Hotel, Simon and Garfunkle - Bookends, Mercury Rev

-------------

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: March 16 2016 at 20:19
Some Adrian Belew: Lone Rhino, Twang Bar King, The Bears. Or for that matter King Crimson's Beat and Three of a Perfect Pair.

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: March 16 2016 at 21:53
Currently, The Decemberists, Fleet Foxes and Sufjan Stevens. 

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: infocat
Date Posted: March 16 2016 at 21:59
Muse.

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Posted By: TheLionOfPrague
Date Posted: March 16 2016 at 22:56
Alan Parsons, Electric Light Orchestra and Supertramp.

Some albums of Marillion maybe.

-------------
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: March 16 2016 at 23:28
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Alan Parsons Project.

Yes, those are my favourite too.

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: March 17 2016 at 03:07
Good progressive pop? How about some great progressive pop instead?

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: enigma
Date Posted: March 17 2016 at 04:22
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

Muse.

yep, Muse were the first band that sprang to mind. I'd also suggest
MGMT
Kula Shaker (K album)
Peter Gabriel
and selected songs from :
The Stranglers
Dire Straits
The Flaming Lips

Posted By: terramystic
Date Posted: March 17 2016 at 12:52
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Kate Bush, Sufjan Stevens, Super Furry Animals, Slap Happy, Mew, Split Enz, 10cc, Manfred Mann's Earth Band, Ambrosia (1st two), Asia, 80s Yes

Agree with all except Ambrosia - 1st album is totally prog rock IMO.

Posted By: bloodnarfer
Date Posted: March 17 2016 at 13:29
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Currently, The Decemberists, Fleet Foxes and Sufjan Stevens. 

Yesss me too.  Especially now that I'm getting into fingerstyle guitar can't get enough of it.

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/ramza1316" rel="nofollow - www.last.fm/user/ramza1316
https://open.spotify.com/user/1211221845" rel="nofollow - https://open.spotify.com/user/1211221845

Posted By: AlanB
Date Posted: March 17 2016 at 14:31
Have a listen to Flying Colors, especially their second album which is more progressive than the debut.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: March 17 2016 at 16:20

Alan Parsons Project.

agreed! Clap

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: March 17 2016 at 16:54

I feel like if I was a bitter and confused Wall Street broker facing the latest recession crisis, a Steely Dan record would be the soundtrack I blow my brains out to.

LOL
that's beautiful man...

Beer

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: March 17 2016 at 18:03
Also anything on PA that is in the Crossover Prog category is pretty much guaranteed to scratch that pop prog itch although i can't say i've listened to every single act

Posted By: Cosmiclawnmower
Date Posted: March 18 2016 at 18:01
I think one of the best example of pop-prog crossover is 'Once around the world' by It Bites'.. upbeat, melodic, full of hooks...

-------------

Posted By: aglasshouse
Date Posted: March 19 2016 at 21:44
10cc. They're good when they do pop, although they play a variety of things as well.

-------------
http://fryingpanmedia.com

Posted By: backtothegarden
Date Posted: March 23 2016 at 15:09
I really like this track, and the album it's on:

Posted By: Intruder
Date Posted: March 24 2016 at 12:04
Post-ATTWT Genesis fits the bill......from Duke to Calling, Genesis were the epitome of pop-prog.  Even the Invisible Touch album had two pop-prog epics at its core.

-------------
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: March 25 2016 at 08:54
Everything Everything

Posted By: Son.of.Tiresias
Date Posted: April 09 2016 at 11:28
Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

Post-ATTWT Genesis fits the bill......from Duke to Calling, Genesis were the epitome of pop-prog.  Even the Invisible Touch album had two pop-prog epics at its core.
Exactly. Post-ATTWT GENESIS. In 1978 the three recorded their last great progressive rock album. Not so sure about that invisible touch they canīt dance thing, honestly I find it rather disgusting Sick

-------------
You may see a smile on Tony Banksī face but thatīs unlikely.

Date Posted: April 09 2016 at 11:42

Alan Parsons Project.

For sure. In a nutshell, "I Robot" from 1977 is Parsonīs finest and as progressive as (rock) music can get, from start to finish. One of the finest concept albums in classic prog. To speculate whether it is "pop" or "rock" music is totally irrelevant. 

-------------

Date Posted: April 09 2016 at 11:44
not sure if they have been mentioned... you know you are lazy when you can't check back one page.

of the modern groups...  one stands out. To me at least.

Our friends and brothers in 3RDegree.  Great group, great albums and some of the best examples of prog pop, progresive pop or whatever the hell you want to call it.

-------------

Posted By: Mascodagama
Date Posted: April 09 2016 at 13:05

I feel like if I was a bitter and confused Wall Street broker facing the latest recession crisis, a Steely Dan record would be the soundtrack I blow my brains out to.

And they even wrote a song that is pretty much for that.

Date Posted: April 09 2016 at 13:09
This thread needs a little Quasar Wut Wut.

Date Posted: April 09 2016 at 13:15
And some Sparks:

Date Posted: April 09 2016 at 13:18
And some Wintergatan:

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: April 09 2016 at 14:34
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

not sure if they have been mentioned... you know you are lazy when you can't check back one page.

of the modern groups...  one stands out. To me at least.

Our friends and brothers in 3RDegree.  Great group, great albums and some of the best examples of prog pop, progresive pop or whatever the hell you want to call it.

IndeedClap. Not coincidentally, 3RDegree are influenced by many of the bands mentioned in this thread, such as 10cc, Supertramp and Steely Dan.

If you like your "prog-pop" to have a bit of an Avant edge, you could do worse than check out MoeTar and the mighty Knifeworld (whose new album has been out for a few weeks).

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: April 09 2016 at 15:11
Afficher limage dorigine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iExhVGg1mKw

Posted By: thebeastmustdie
Date Posted: April 10 2016 at 11:20

Super Furry Animals

yes! first band I thought of...

recommended tracks (bearing OP's request in mind):

Ice Hockey Hair, Mountain People, Citizen's Band, Receptacle For The Respectable, Hometown Unicorn

Originally posted by aglasshouse aglasshouse wrote:

10cc. They're good when they do pop, although they play a variety of things as well.
definitely. think Sheet Music and How Dare You are probably the best album examples for this thread. They went very 'normal' pop when Godley & Crčme left. - in fact and Godley & Creme's "L" would be worth checking out as well. to me that album is more like 10CC than anything 10CC put their name to after How Dare You...

btw, I've tried hard to get into Alan Parsons Project but aside from loving the album covers, the imagery, the instrumentation, the whole future/retro concepts, etc.. the actual music leaves me a bit bored.

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: April 10 2016 at 11:45
For something on the modern side check out "Thank You Scientists". Has the sound and feel of Michael Jackson doing prog.

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Date Posted: April 10 2016 at 12:03
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

For something on the modern side check out "Thank You Scientists". Has the sound and feel of Michael Jackson doing prog.

you can't mean the band from N.J. 'Thank You Scientist' do you.

Seeing they are on tour up there.. I guess so.. perhaps their sound has really changed since we saw them LOL

-------------

Date Posted: April 10 2016 at 15:11
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

And some Sparks:

Thumbs Up  ...and Iīd add that anyone who thinks that Sparks is really not progressive rock music is practically dead (grin).

-------------

Date Posted: April 10 2016 at 15:25

Yes...they did,   and that's one of my favorite tracks from perhaps my favorite Dan album.
Big smile

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: April 10 2016 at 15:26
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

Afficher limage dorigine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iExhVGg1mKw

I pulled that out the other day to play it....used to really get into Magazine.
Smile

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: April 10 2016 at 15:38
Originally posted by thebeastmustdie thebeastmustdie wrote:

Super Furry Animals

yes! first band I thought of...

recommended tracks (bearing OP's request in mind):

Ice Hockey Hair, Mountain People, Citizen's Band, Receptacle For The Respectable, Hometown Unicorn

Originally posted by aglasshouse aglasshouse wrote:

definitely. think Sheet Music and How Dare You are probably the best album examples for this thread. They went very 'normal' pop when Godley & Crčme left. - in fact and Godley & Creme's "L" would be worth checking out as well. to me that album is more like 10CC than anything 10CC put their name to after How Dare You...

btw, I've tried hard to get into Alan Parsons Project but aside from loving the album covers, the imagery, the instrumentation, the whole future/retro concepts, etc.. the actual music leaves me a bit bored.
I'm with you on Alan Parsons'. After the first two albums, it was quite a slide. And Godley/Creme's L, I feel, is required listening for this category. Does anyone feel the same about the obscure Random Hold?

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: April 10 2016 at 15:47
XTC
Cardiacs
Knifeworld
MoeTar
Bent Knee

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: Hrychu
Date Posted: April 10 2016 at 16:06
Tai Phong perhaps? They had amazing melodies abd harmonies on their first album.

Posted By: thebeastmustdie
Date Posted: April 11 2016 at 14:30
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

And Godley/Creme's L, I feel, is required listening for this category. Does anyone feel the same about the obscure Random Hold?

never heard of Random Hold, will have to check them out... cheers

Date Posted: April 11 2016 at 14:33
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Yes...they did,   and that's one of my favorite tracks from perhaps my favorite Dan album.
Big smile

Are you crazy, are you high, or just an ordinary guy?

Posted By: resurrection
Date Posted: April 11 2016 at 14:40
I suppose Clouds qualify, perhaps not all the time, as the music is often of the virtuoso category, but many of the melodies are pop-song orientated as well, even though the arrangements around those songs remain complex.

Date Posted: April 12 2016 at 10:09
Originally posted by thebeastmustdie thebeastmustdie wrote:

And Godley/Creme's L, I feel, is required listening for this category. Does anyone feel the same about the obscure Random Hold?

never heard of Random Hold, will have to check them out... cheers
Yeah, two members of 'Hold did great other things: David Rhodes was (and is?) Peter Gabriel's guitarist, among a few, and Simon Ainley provided lead vocals for 801's (Phil Manzanera) Listen Now, one of my absolute favorite albums.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: Cosmiclawnmower
Date Posted: April 12 2016 at 16:08
I saw Random Hold supporting Peter Gabriel back in 1980; they were very good and certainly David Rhodes played guitar on the PG's 3rd lp.

-------------

Posted By: coachbk
Date Posted: April 12 2016 at 22:31
I think this song fits the description!

https://www.facebook.com/brian.kelly.10236115#" rel="nofollow -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_WIOIHNhPI" rel="nofollow">

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_WIOIHNhPI" rel="nofollow - Fate of Tom Brady FINAL
An attempt to get more exposure for the song Fate by Discomedusa, by putting together some Tom Brady clips...
youtube.com

Posted By: Bucklebutt
Date Posted: April 12 2016 at 22:51
I'll second XTC, Skylarking is a friggen fantastic album. Also, when I last saw Steven Wilson live he mentioned that XTC was "the best band in the world", you can really hear their influences on him. 

Posted By: Prog-jester
Date Posted: April 15 2016 at 18:06
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=105297" rel="nofollow - hopefully this thread may be of some help, no?..

Posted By: Friday13th
Date Posted: April 16 2016 at 23:26
Sparks is the best listed so far. Their debut and Kimono are near flawless and completely unique. I swear some songs on the 1971 debut sound like 1981 new wave. Related to both Sparks and XTC is Todd Rundgren, whose Wizard album is fantastic.

Posted By: progbethyname
Date Posted: May 19 2016 at 20:55
Originally posted by Son.of.Tiresias Son.of.Tiresias wrote:

Alan Parsons Project.

For sure. In a nutshell, "I Robot" from 1977 is Parsonīs finest and as progressive as (rock) music can get, from start to finish. One of the finest concept albums in classic prog. To speculate whether it is "pop" or "rock" music is totally irrelevant. 

Ummmm finally. People who feel and know just how damn good I-Robot is!

It is my most loved APP album and one of my all time desert island takes.
It's a perfect album for me.

-------------
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣

Date Posted: May 20 2016 at 10:25
[/QUOTE] As fine an example of hyperbole as ever written in this forum. No, Tales of Mystery' is Parsons' most noted work and falls comfortably within the category of "classic" prog. That can't be said for 'Robot. It is indeed of a primarily "pop" construction with prog leanings. Has the best album cover of all the projects though (thanks Hipgnosis).

-------------

Date Posted: May 31 2016 at 06:07

As fine an example of hyperbole as ever written in this forum. No, Tales of Mystery' is Parsons' most noted work and falls comfortably within the category of "classic" prog. That can't be said for 'Robot. It is indeed of a primarily "pop" construction with prog leanings. Has the best album cover of all the projects though (thanks Hipgnosis).[/QUOTE]

Iīm sure you donīt hyperbole here on PA, ever. You are missing the point here. "I Robot" is an art rock album. And itīs also totally irrelevant which of these two is better musically, itīs just a matter of taste. 

For me personally "I Robot" from 1977 is the finest ever from Alan Parsons and Eric Woolfson and their most progressive and mature work before and since. "Mystery" is his second best but do not reach perfection and, above all total harmony like " I Robot" does. Additionally, contains more mature lyrics (for the common man) than "Mystery" which is based on Edgar Allan Poeīs fantasies. "I Robot" is an  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_rock" rel="nofollow - art rock  album that draws conceptually on author  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Asimov" rel="nofollow - Isaac Asimov 's science fiction  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robot_series_%28Asimov%29" rel="nofollow - Robot trilogy , exploring philosophical themes regarding  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_intelligence" rel="nofollow - artificial intelligence  (Wiki). "I Robot" has total lack of pretentious and boring pop cliches, and the lyrics are actually very serious. It is a flawless art rock album, and for me personally a flawless prog album too because itīs very progressive in pop music context. So itīs also a pop album, and every bit of popular music. In fact, all here is about popular music (pop). "I Robot" is very interesting, intelligent and enjoyable, thatīs called "progressive". Very mature work in all aspects. And thatīs the essence of all. Also simple pop music can be very progressive. Surprisingly many prog album are actually pop music "with rock leanings", fine examples are many classic Yes songs. 

Yes, the best album cover of all his projects. And in the end of day, was it prog or pop, who gives a damn.

-------------

Date Posted: May 31 2016 at 06:20
Originally posted by Friday13th Friday13th wrote:

Sparks is the best listed so far. Their debut and Kimono are near flawless and completely unique. I swear some songs on the 1971 debut sound like 1981 new wave. Related to both Sparks and XTC is Todd Rundgren, whose Wizard album is fantastic.

In the hot summer of 1974 Sparksī "This Town Ainīt Big Enough for the Both of Us" on FM radio was like a fresh air
Tongue 

They actually brought fun in rock music again, like best glam. That video is very hilarious, in a positive way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ztSKDbDRXc

-------------

Posted By: Kaivoks
Date Posted: June 05 2016 at 05:01
Given your criteria of "emphasizes harmony, melody, and accessibility while displaying a fondness for instrumental virtuosity" Frost* might fit the bill. Fronted by Jem Godfrey. I think their second album (Experiments in Mass Appeal) is more poppy than than their first (Milliontown). But both have songs that I'd classify with your criteria.

Saga might lean more toward rock than pop, but some of their songs are pretty accessible while having some pretty neat prog elements. (I'm not a huge fan of Saga, but I'll let you decide.)

Posted By: Kingsnake
Date Posted: September 02 2016 at 03:46
I love the pop-side of prog and the prog-side of pop.

Favourites: Saga, It Bites, Queen, Marillion, Tears for Fears, Mike Oldfield (80's stuff), Asia (with John Payne), Rush (80's stuff), Yes (80's stuff), Moody Blues, Barclay James Harvest, Rupert Hine, Kate Bush, Susanne Sundfor, Toto, Talk Talk, a-ha, Journey, Kansas, IQ (late 80's stuff), and the list goes on and on.

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: September 02 2016 at 03:55
Ben & Vesper Ep's. Better than the albums. An underrated band in my opinion. I've just found this track on youtube. 

Afficher limage dorigine

Afficher limage dorigine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_RFXfsAcnI

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: September 02 2016 at 04:10
..........and KAJAGOOGOO .   Is it just me ?? Or am I reading too much into this band ?? They are the epitome of what us Prog-heads despise in much of the music of the 80's......... I truly admire their musicianship and attitude. A truly great 80's band.

Posted By: PhideauxFan
Date Posted: September 02 2016 at 05:53

Ellips: Sight (France-2014).
For fans of Blackfield and Coldplay. (17/20)
http://ellips.bandcamp.com/releases" rel="nofollow - http:// - ellips.bandcamp.com/releases
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSVkA3qXg-g" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSVkA3qXg-g

Date Posted: September 02 2016 at 06:20
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

..........and KAJAGOOGOO .   Is it just me ?? Or am I reading too much into this band ?? They are the epitome of what us Prog-heads despise in much of the music of the 80's......... I truly admire their musicianship and attitude. A truly great 80's band.

Talk Talk, Duran Duran, Simple Minds, a-ha, Tears for Fears, Power Station, etc.

All outstanding musicians with a pop-flavour but intricate and ellaborate arrangments to the songs.

New Romantics, New Wave, synthpop all had that progressive rock-thing. A lot of 'official' progrock bands even tried to copy that sound (Gentle Giant, Genesis, Yes, Rush, Camel, Renaissance, BJH, ELP, etc.).

I think only Queen and Rush stayed popular through the eigthies. Someone told me that Rush was influence by The Fixx, and Queen was influenced by Duran Duran. :D

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: September 02 2016 at 06:48
Not sure whether Joe Jackson was already mentioned but he has a good number of very high quality albums with some progressive qualities, eclectic, jazz, experimental and classical influences, on top of sublime songwriting.

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: September 02 2016 at 07:06
Originally posted by Kingsnake Kingsnake wrote:

Someone told me that Rush was influence by The Fixx, 

I know that Rush was always looking at incorporating stuff that they enjoyed, into their own music. Whether or not that was specifically the band, The Fixx, I don't know but it's possible. 

Date Posted: September 02 2016 at 07:44
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

I know that Rush was always looking at incorporating stuff that they enjoyed, into their own music. Whether or not that was specifically the band, The Fixx, I don't know but it's possible. 

I think it was Alex that was inspired by Jamie West-Oram's crispy clean fender-sound.
I think Neil was more influenced by Stewart Copeland (the reggae thingies)

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: September 02 2016 at 08:16

Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

I think it was Alex that was inspired by Jamie West-Oram's crispy clean fender-sound.
I think Neil was more influenced by Stewart Copeland (the reggae thingies)

True about Neil. There is an interview out there where he talks about The Police

Posted By: aglasshouse
Date Posted: September 02 2016 at 11:26
I consider Beach Boys' Surf's Up to be prog pop.

-------------
http://fryingpanmedia.com

Posted By: deandob
Date Posted: September 02 2016 at 15:51
Empire of the Sun

Posted By: paisanojac
Date Posted: September 05 2016 at 16:36
Toy Matinee
Kevin Gilbert

Art In America - Album produced by Eddie Offord

Pavlov's Dog

Blondie (Auto American)--big pop hit album, but most of that album was so different it kind of fit a remote definition of Prog and may have been the culmination of Robert Fripp's involvement with the band prior to this album. 

Dexy's Midnight Runners-- I only know the one song "Come on Eileen", which was a pop hit, but I swear it has Prog elements.  I have no idea if the other songs are remotely Prog.  Probably not.

Tish Hinojosa -- NOT Prog, but she has at least one Prog-ish song "Yesterday's Paper" from the Destiny's Gate album.  She's a Country/Tex-Mex singer/songwriter/musician.

Date Posted: September 05 2016 at 17:13
Originally posted by paisanojac paisanojac wrote:

Dexy's Midnight Runners-- I only know the one song "Come on Eileen", which was a pop hit, but I swear it has Prog elements. 
    And stop swearing. It isn't serving you well.

-------------

Posted By: paisanojac
Date Posted: September 05 2016 at 22:01
Darn, I should not have said "I swear", as I am virtually perfect at not swearing in public. One of the very few things I do almost perfectly.  Wait a minute.....I just said "darn".  Oh no.......I'm really in trouble now!

A few more:

Styx (just a few songs)
10,000 Maniacs?  Sort of kind of slightly maybe?
Jars of Clay    Saw them live and they are sometimes remotely prog-ish.  Well maybe.

OK, check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk8U5FklPdU

Date Posted: September 06 2016 at 01:51
I think Alphaville's Afternoons in Utopia has progressive elements.

Posted By: RoeDent
Date Posted: September 06 2016 at 04:54
Frost* definitely fits the bill. Theirs is some of the catchiest music I've heard, but with plenty of progginess to it as well.

Date Posted: September 06 2016 at 11:01
Originally posted by paisanojac paisanojac wrote:

Darn, I should not have said "I swear", as I am virtually perfect at not swearing in public. One of the very few things I do almost perfectly.  Wait a minute.....I just said "darn".  Oh no.......I'm really in trouble now!

I'm afraid you missed it, paisanojac. That's not the kind of swearing I was referring to. And I doubt that, besides myself, anyone cares.

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk