Forum Description: List all your favourites here
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=106240
Printed Date: June 12 2024 at 12:27
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Your First Prog Album?
Posted By: Necrotica
Subject: Your First Prog Album?
Date Posted: March 23 2016 at 19:23
I know someone's probably posted this topic at some point or another, but I just wanted to put it up out of curiosity. Can you guys recall your very first progressive rock album? Prog-related applies too. This may sound incredibly random, but Journey's first album was actually my first in the genre. I was a huge Journey fanatic when I was younger (they were my first band in general), and I remember getting their debut at a mall in my area when I was around 10 or 11 years old. There was a Virgin Mega Store (when those were still around, lol) at the mall, and I used to get a bunch of great classic rock and progressive rock/metal records from there when I was a kid and teenager. Lots of nostalgia Smile

-------------
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd

Replies:
Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: March 23 2016 at 19:26
Tubular Bells when I was about 14

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: AZF
Date Posted: March 23 2016 at 19:31
Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of The War of The Worlds in the mid 80's.
The first full on Prog album I bought was The Dark Side Of The Moon. Although Electric Ladyland I heard before the Pink Floyd one.

Posted By: emigre80
Date Posted: March 23 2016 at 20:17
Days of Future Passed, for prog-related.  Fragile for pure prog. Respective ages acquired: 13 and 15.

Posted By: Magnum Vaeltaja
Date Posted: March 23 2016 at 21:31
Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

Days of Future Passed, for prog-related.  Fragile for pure prog. Respective ages acquired: 13 and 15.

Hey cool, it was Fragile for me, too.

-------------
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents

Posted By: andreol263
Date Posted: March 23 2016 at 21:46
For me was The Divison Bell from Pink Floyd, after in the same day i listened to DSOTM, in the first listen sounded very strange, but after some time it was getting better ;)

-------------

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: March 23 2016 at 21:51
Crime of the Century or Moving Pictures or Wish You Were Here...probablement.

-------------

Posted By: mbzr48
Date Posted: March 23 2016 at 22:02
Uriah Heep  http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=5893" rel="nofollow - Very 'eavy...Very 'umble  & Iron Butterfly  http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=11299" rel="nofollow - In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: March 23 2016 at 22:11
13yrs old Genesis Foxtrot and Yes Close To The Edge

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: March 23 2016 at 22:15
Probably Aqualung.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: March 23 2016 at 22:22
The Beatles main albums 1967-1969
Traffic- John Barleycorn Must Die
Santana-same

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: March 23 2016 at 22:37
The first one I heard was Tarkus at the tender age of eight; a buddy's dad owned it and we like the sci-fi cover.   The first one I bought, just a few years later, was Hemispheres because, again, I dug the cover.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: zravkapt
Date Posted: March 23 2016 at 23:25
Heard: DSOTM (I listened to my uncle's vinyl copy when I was 10; I was all like WTF during "On The Run")

Bought: Genesis 'Live-The Way We Walk-The Shorts'LOL I don't think that counts. Let's see, these work better: Classic Yes or The Best Of ELP(don't remember which I got first, could have got them at the same time). Those are compilations of course but I think I got a CD copy of DSOTM as my first 'prog' album.

-------------
Magma America Great Make Again

Posted By: jude111
Date Posted: March 24 2016 at 00:35
I'm not quite sure. It was either Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, Yes's Fragile or Yessongs. Whichever it was, - I had all 3 of those albums, but can't say which one came first - it was the late 70s, and I was a pre-teen. I loved Yes, but they left me a bit cold. But Floyd. They seemed to have been made just for me. Everything I heard by them on the radio (Have a Cigar, On the Run, One of These Days, Breathe, Comfortably Numb, Shine On, Hey You) spoke directly to my soul.

Date Posted: March 24 2016 at 00:56
Damn, you guys had a better first experience than I did, haha. Either way, I'd say some of my other early prog records were Hemispheres, Tarkus, Queen II, and Deadwing. 

-------------

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: March 24 2016 at 01:26
ELP - Trilogy

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: DDPascalDD
Date Posted: March 24 2016 at 01:49
I think The Endless River. I just wanted to try some Pink Floyd - I guess about one year ago - and wanted to work my way backwards.

-------------
https://pascalvandendool.bandcamp.com/album/a-moment-of-thought" rel="nofollow - New album! "A Moment of Thought"

Posted By: TeleStrat
Date Posted: March 24 2016 at 01:49
My original vinyl collection was purchased in the 60s and 70s so I have no idea what my first "official" prog album was.

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: March 24 2016 at 01:52
I guess, for me it would've been Floyd's DSOTM cassette - back in the very early 80's - I must've been around 8-10 years old. I didn't know it was 'Prog' but always loved it. My first real Prog vinyl would've been Wish You Were Here, my 14th birthday, 1986.

Posted By: Modrigue
Date Posted: March 24 2016 at 04:00
Pink Floyd's WYWH for me.
And then DSOTM, Meddle, Animals...

And then Tangerine Dream's Ricochet

(Not mentionning proto-prog like The Beatles nor prog-related like Radiohead)

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqf2srRfppHAslEmHBn8QP6d_eoanh0eW" rel="nofollow - My compositions

Date Posted: March 24 2016 at 04:25
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I guess, for me it would've been Floyd's DSOTM cassette - back in the very early 80's - I must've been around 8-10 years old. I didn't know it was 'Prog' but always loved it. My first real Prog vinyl would've been Wish You Were Here, my 14th birthday, 1986.
Actually - December 1985 - The Wall - waaaay before I received WYWH as a vinyl gift. But I am hard-pressed accepting The Wall as a truly 'Prog' work. It's fantastic, no doubt, but not what I've come to know about PROG in its essence..........

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: March 24 2016 at 04:44
Does my father's Stand Up count?? (I was 6, but played that album constantly )

My first album ever (bought with my own money from newspaper delivery) was Crime Of The Century, in sept 74 (age 11)... then came DSOTM, SEBTP (I didn't dig or get that one for a while) , Harmonium's debut, etc...

within a year, I had Aqualung, TAAB, ITOTCK, In Rock, Paranoid, ITLOG&P, 5è Saison, etc... 

Date Posted: March 24 2016 at 04:50

Actually - December 1985 - The Wall - waaaay before I received WYWH as a vinyl gift. But I am hard-pressed accepting The Wall as a truly 'Prog' work. It's fantastic, no doubt, but not what I've come to know about PROG in its essence..........

I consider The Wall a prog album, but I can definitely see what you mean. A lot of websites classify the album as "progressive pop," and with songs like Another Brick in the Wall and In The Flesh, that certainly makes sense. 

-------------

Posted By: Cookie13
Date Posted: March 24 2016 at 05:23
Probably Images & Words - Dream Theater at 1996.

-------------
"Clipside of the pinkeye flight
I'm not the percent you think survives
I need sanctuary in the pages of this book."

Son Et Lumiere - The Mars Volta

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: March 24 2016 at 05:24
Pink Floyd's Relics on my 13th birthday.

-------------

Date Posted: March 24 2016 at 05:51
Originally posted by Necrotica Necrotica wrote:

I consider The Wall a prog album, but I can definitely see what you mean. A lot of websites classify the album as "progressive pop," and with songs like Another Brick in the Wall and In The Flesh, that certainly makes sense. 
It was that BRILLIANT lead solo in ABITW II that blew my young mind. There was just soooo much soul and feeling (which I never 'got' at that age, but knew this was something really special......) that sold me........ Then it was Obscured, AHM, then the Barrett stuff. Now it's anything from Magenta to Meshuggah, Ciccada to Igra Staklenih Perli, back to Il Tempio delle Clessidre, through Elephant9, Dungen and Kosmos, to Etron Fou Le Loublan and Shub Niggurath. This list goes on by dozens, and dozens.......and dozens...............
.............then I come across P.A...................

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: March 24 2016 at 06:05
If I count Proto Prog and compilations it's Deep Purple's Platinum Collection that I got for Christmas in 2009, I think. Then I bought most Led Zeppelin albums and The Doors' boxset. The first Prog album I bought was DSOTM on CD in 2011. Then I continued the Floyd collection, bought every Supertramp album from COTC to BIA, Tubular Bells, Hergest Ridge and CTTE.

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: March 24 2016 at 06:40
Manfred Mann's Earthband - first Watch on tape at the age of 12, then Nightingales and Bombers, the first album that I bought and still have.

Posted By: A_Flower
Date Posted: March 24 2016 at 08:05
I was 13 in 7th grade when I listened to the best or Pink Floyd. That was when I heard Echoes. After that moment, my life was never the same...

-------------
User Banned for this Post

Posted By: zravkapt
Date Posted: March 24 2016 at 08:53
If we're including proto, related and crossover stuff here...I had albums by the Beatles, Radiohead, Nine Inch Nails and Primus before I was into 'prog'.. I just remembered shortly after Zappa died I bought Hot Rats. I probably had that before I bought DSOTM.

-------------
Magma America Great Make Again

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: March 24 2016 at 10:20
As far as purchased for me, I got Sgt Peppers as a surprise present a few weeks after it was released in '67.  As far as bought with my own hard-earned-allowance cash...I road my 10 speed on a cool 1975 July morning to the local record store.  Was randomly looking through the shelves and stumbled on Brain Salad Surgery.  One look at the cover and it was all over...I wasn't leaving without it LOL

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: AlanB
Date Posted: March 24 2016 at 11:28
Argus by Wishbone Ash. I bought it on cassette in 1973 then when that wore out I bought the vinyl, then later on the CD.

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: March 24 2016 at 14:33
I must've been 9 or 10 when I made a tape of my aunt's vinyl copy of The Wall. It's still around somewhere, but I tend to go for my cd nowadays.
My first prog purchase though? Delicate Sound Of Thunder the year after methinks.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Nightfly
Date Posted: March 24 2016 at 16:09
I think it was The Yes Album...or was it Barclay James Harvest Live.

Posted By: TheLionOfPrague
Date Posted: March 24 2016 at 17:50
Dark Side and Trilogy.

The Division Bell and The Wall a bit before but don't consider them "prog".

-------------
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: March 24 2016 at 18:24
Fragile

Posted By: Cambus741
Date Posted: March 24 2016 at 18:55
Depends if Queen are considered prog;
if so then it would have been A Night at the Opera.

Otherwise it would be Marillion's Real to Reel

Date Posted: March 24 2016 at 19:29
Originally posted by Cambus741 Cambus741 wrote:

Yeah, I consider Queen's first four albums prog

-------------

Posted By: Pastmaster
Date Posted: March 24 2016 at 20:27
I don't remember what the first one I heard was, but the first one I got was Rush's Moving Pictures.

Posted By: TheLionOfPrague
Date Posted: March 24 2016 at 21:08

First five I'd say (thought not sure I'd say they're prog). The first big stylistic change was in News of the World, although it'd be more radical in The Game. 

-------------
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place

Posted By: aglasshouse
Date Posted: March 24 2016 at 22:20
The Wall I believe. 

-------------
http://fryingpanmedia.com

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: March 24 2016 at 23:08
Abbey Road

Posted By: infocat
Date Posted: March 25 2016 at 00:35
My first album I got as a (Christmas) gift, so I didn't purchase it, but it was Asia (debut).
My brother actually found a cassette tape of 2112 in the street.  I loved it and got a vinyl "box set" of their first three albums called https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archives_%28Rush_album%29" rel="nofollow - Archives .  (And of course got a vinyl of 2112 fairly soon afterward.)
Also got Aqualung fairly early on, but not sure if it was before or after the Rush set.

WYWH was the first CD I bought.

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Posted By: EddieRUKiddingVarese
Date Posted: March 25 2016 at 01:42
Just another Band from LA, on cassette!

Gotta love Billy the Mountain

Twirly, twirly, twirly, twirly, twirly!

-------------
"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!

Posted By: GreatBeyonder
Date Posted: March 25 2016 at 06:40
Something by the Moody Blues, though I grew up with those records. I believe the first prog album I actually bought was Dark Side of the Moon.

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: March 25 2016 at 06:50
The first I heard was my Dad's copy of Dark Side of the Moon, probably around the age of 7. I don't have an actual first prog album (singular), because I made my first purchase through Columbia House on one of those 5 for a penny deals (and then you had to buy three at regular price). This was about the age of 14 or 15. Of those five:
Yes - Classic Yes (the 1981 compilation)
Yes - 90125
Genesis - Genesis (the 1983 shapes album)
ELO - Secret Messages
The Best of Alan Parsons Project (1983 compilation)

As you can see, my prime teen years were in the dreadful 1980s. That was about the best Columbia House was offering at the time. I ended my relationship with them around 1987 once I discovered some better used record shops in the area (I actually walked a good three miles to one every Saturday after I got paid from the part-time job at a local supermarket during my last year of high school and into my first year of college until I had a car). Oddly enough, Columbia House kept sending me junk mail well into the 1990s and somehow followed me through several different apartments.

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: March 25 2016 at 10:48
Originally posted by TheLionOfPrague TheLionOfPrague wrote:

First five I'd say (thought not sure I'd say they're prog). The first big stylistic change was in News of the World, although it'd be more radical in The Game. 

To my ears, I'll always consider those 1st 5 as eclectic prog.  The songs are a collection of many disparate elements (metal, Brit music hall, pop, hard rock, etc) all living together where News of the World left that stylistic approach and really seemed to be a conscious move firmly to the world of straight ahead rock.  Back in the vinyl days, I had everything up to Flash but when I moved to the CD world I only replaced the 1st 5...oh ya and added Queen at the BBC from '73, Innuendo (the proggiest thing they did since ADATR) and the recent Live at the Rainbow box set Wink   

Queen Forever Smile

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: March 25 2016 at 12:20
Originally posted by EddieRUKiddingVarese EddieRUKiddingVarese wrote:

No offense dude but...

-------------

Posted By: EddieRUKiddingVarese
Date Posted: March 25 2016 at 18:37
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Originally posted by EddieRUKiddingVarese EddieRUKiddingVarese wrote:

No offense dude but...

What, you mean some people have taste here

Don't forget your aunt jemima syrup Beer

-------------
"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: March 25 2016 at 19:01
ahh... will need to put this on next.

Though they all run together..  The Yes Album, Salisbury, ELO2, and this one. Probably introduced to them around the same time. This was the one of the 4 that hit the hardest... while ELO2 did take me to outer space and beyond as a child.. this one took me to a even more interesting place.

Starting of course with the cover...

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: March 25 2016 at 22:23
Procol Harum's first, bought in late 1974.  They were my gateway group.  I still think that album is their best, even if it was thrown together in a hurry to piggyback on the success of the hit single

Posted By: hieronymous
Date Posted: March 25 2016 at 23:20
I know I'm late, but this was a fun exercise, reading other people's experiences and reflecting back on my own over thirty years ago. If the Beatles count, then it would Sgt. Pepper's & the White Album. If not, then Dark Side of the Moon. 

A few years later after a detour through heavy metal, I was introduced to Rush and discovered Yes, King Crimson and Genesis, but that early brush with the Beatles and Pink Floyd were a nice place to start.

Posted By: frankbostick
Date Posted: March 26 2016 at 10:04
King Crimson - In the Wake of Poseidon, in 1970.

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: March 28 2016 at 13:44
I believe it was E.L.P.'s Trilogy which I bought at a small record store on the side of the freeway in my hometown that was owned by a substitute teacher I knew while in high school. The guy did absolutely no business at this location, and it was a real wonder how he stayed open at all. The next album I picked up somewhere else was this cheesy-looking PFM compilation import that had a photo of bread on its cover. It had all the hits though.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: akaBona
Date Posted: March 28 2016 at 15:36
Fragile by Yes

Posted By: NickHall
Date Posted: March 29 2016 at 07:40
The first album I bought with elements of Prog in it was The Clouds Scrapbook; though for me, the first truly Prog album was In the Court of the Crimson King (though  itself filched from 1-2-3/Clouds of course).

Posted By: Ier
Date Posted: March 29 2016 at 10:22
I grew up with a dad who loves Pink Floyd... So yeah, almost everything from Pink Floyd actually! 

-------------
http://grendelhq.wordpress.com" rel="nofollow - My personal page

Posted By: SquonkHunter
Date Posted: March 29 2016 at 12:28
The Yes Album on 8 track tape. That was a long time ago. Wink

-------------
"You never had the things you thought you should have had and you'll not get them now..."

Posted By: Intruder
Date Posted: March 29 2016 at 13:36
Same here Squonk!  Where in Texas are you BTW?  If you're anywhere near Austin, Jon and Jean at the One World in early May.  See you there!

-------------
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....

Posted By: Mascodagama
Date Posted: March 29 2016 at 14:35
Queen II (cassette) then Classic Yes (cassette). Then a whole bunch more cassettes by Queen, Rush, Tangerine Dream, Roxy Music, Asia, Kansas, etc.

First on vinyl when I finally got a record deck aged roughly sixteen were Pendragon's Fly High, Fall Far EP and IQ's The Wake. 

Posted By: terramystic
Date Posted: March 29 2016 at 15:14
Dream Theater - Images and Words

Posted By: DeadSouls
Date Posted: March 29 2016 at 20:42
Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: March 30 2016 at 01:20
Some Pink Floyd, Yes and Supertramp that my older brother was listening. Did not even know it was called progressive rock. LOL

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: March 30 2016 at 03:28
The first album I ever bought was Move by The Move (the band maybe proto-prog but that album ain't) when I was 12 - it cost me 5 shillings in 1969 because it didn't have a cover. [Back in the day record stores would only put the covers in the bins and kept the discs themselves behind the counter to stop nefarious folk helping themselves to a five-finger discount, but some still pilfered the covers leaving the store with a few coverless albums to sell].

The next was two years later (coz we wuz poor and buying albums was an extravagance we couldn't afford): Every Good Boy Deserves Favour by The Moody Blues and I'm calling that Prog Rock even if it is a bit Prog-lite.

Soon after that I got a Saturday job in Woolworths and with the wages burning a hole in my pocket I quickly expanded my horizons. The first full-blown honest to goodness Prog album I bought was either The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other by Van der Graaf Generator or Elegy by The Nice. Ownership of those two albums granted me access to the "cool kids" clique at school and that's where I was first exposed to the delights of Pink Floyd and became an unrepentant Floyd-fanboy.

However... because they were cheap and contained some excellent music I bought quite a few label samplers (Nice Enough to Eat, Bumpers, Age of Atlantic, Rockbusters and the Dandelion Sampler EP) and several budget albums back then (notably Phallus Dei by Amon Duul II, Camembert Electrique by Gong and of course Relics by Pink Floyd).

/edit:

¹ I soon tired of the school "cool kids" clique because I found them to be oddly narrow-minded and somewhat overly judgemental. Most of them were older than me and were heavily into American music that didn't appeal to me a great deal but mostly I struggled with their perception of what was cool and what was not. While through associating them I got to hear weird stuff like Zappa, Tonto's Expanding Head Band and White Noise liking Led Zeppelin or Uriah Heep was frowned upon (both were considered to be 'sell-outs' and only good for teenie-boppers), yet Sabbath and Purple were okay. The crunch came when they deemed previously acceptable Tyrannosaurus Rex albums to be unacceptable because of T Rex. If that was what it took to be cool I was happy to be uncool in their eyes because I'd much rather listen to Hot Love than Hot Rats.

² Even back in the 70s physically buying albums was not a young person's first exposure to good music. Rather than YouToob and illicit file-sharing we had late-night radio (John Peel's Top Gear etc.), The Old Grey Whistle Test on the telly and of course playground album swapping. The first time I heard Tangerine Dream was on the radio, several years prior to them signing to Virgin. Before the Compact Cassette became affordable (and therefore popular) we had ¼" reel-to-reel tape recorders and needless to say, many of the albums I'd borrowed from the school "cool kids" clique... 

³ Compilation albums are not regarded particularly well on this site, which in the modern Now That's What I Call... climate is understandable. But back then they were a good way to hear music that you wouldn't otherwise hear. Prime among these were Label Samplers that showcased all the artists signed to a particular label, many of the albums I subsequently purchased were first heard on these samplers.

-------------
What?

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: March 30 2016 at 14:03

This thread seems familiar.......Wink

So long ago who can recall......probably either Sgt Pepper, The Doors-st, or Jefferson Airplane-Crown  if those qualify.....the first tue  prog thing  Moody Blues In Search of.....but my first prog album that blew me away as prog was probably ITCOTCK which I didn't buy until  early spring 1970...and then The Yes album shortly after.
Memory's a bit fuzzy regarding those days.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: April 01 2016 at 12:44
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

ahh... will need to put this on next.

Though they all run together..  The Yes Album, Salisbury, ELO2, and this one. Probably introduced to them around the same time. This was the one of the 4 that hit the hardest... while ELO2 did take me to outer space and beyond as a child.. this one took me to a even more interesting place.

Starting of course with the cover...

Have Magician's Hat and now want this one. Any good? Sad to know Hansson has been gone for six years now.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: ALotOfBottle
Date Posted: April 01 2016 at 13:25
I think my first real prog album I had on vinyl was Nektar's "Remember The Future".

Posted By: Wreck
Date Posted: April 01 2016 at 17:48
The first album i bought and listened seriously was TAAB. I am not sure if it was something else, i would be listening prog.

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: April 02 2016 at 06:27
Does Jeff Waynes War of the Worlds count? If so then that's the one. Bought in 1979.

Otherwise Pink Floyd The Wall in 1982.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Flight123
Date Posted: April 02 2016 at 09:13
If you count a tape of a friend's album then it is 'Selling England' - the first one 'owned' would have been 'Dark Side' (also on cassette).  My first vinyl was 'Relayer'.

Posted By: Formentera Lady
Date Posted: April 02 2016 at 09:38
First albums I listened to: Supertramp - Paris and Genesis - Three Sides Live. They were on cassettes that my older brother owned. The first one I bought myself: Yes - Yessongs and Genesis - Wind And Wuthering, both used vinyls on a flee market. I still have them!

-------------
http://theprogressiveweb.blogspot.de" rel="nofollow - Visit me in Second Life to talk about music.

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: April 02 2016 at 10:15
Yes - Fragile and King Crimson - In Wake of Poseidon

-------------

Posted By: addictedtoprog
Date Posted: April 02 2016 at 10:16
Pink Floyd ~ The Wall

Posted By: aattiic
Date Posted: April 02 2016 at 12:42
king crimson - in the court of the crimson king. the cover really stood out to me and one day i decided to listen to it. i am still obsessed with that album to this day

-------------
"There you go man, keep as cool as you can. Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave. And keep on thinking free."

Posted By: aglasshouse
Date Posted: April 02 2016 at 18:45
Wait- The Wall counts, right?

-------------
http://fryingpanmedia.com

Posted By: jayem
Date Posted: April 03 2016 at 03:36
"90125" (if called prog) when I was 10, I was fond and have remained fond (couldn't be disappointed as I hadn't ever heard any the other Yes albums!) and 1st 100% prog "Islands": KC introduced by a comrade as a "crazy funny band" at 14. I discovered KC bit by bit, with some reluctance at those enchanting horrors and willingness to know how it all was made.

-------------
http://www.digger.ch/?lang=en" rel="nofollow - Support mine-clearing !
https://bandcamp.com/machinechance/?lang=en" rel="nofollow - bandcamp collection

Posted By: Richey Edwards
Date Posted: April 03 2016 at 08:59
I got "dragged" to see The Musical Box play The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway in it's entirety in 2006. One of the best musical experiences of my life.
I purchased The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway within two days. LOL

Posted By: Kadu
Date Posted: April 03 2016 at 09:43
Relayer is the seventh album by the progressive rock band Yes. That was my first album in 1976.

Posted By: emigre80
Date Posted: April 03 2016 at 10:26
Originally posted by Kadu Kadu wrote:

Relayer is the seventh album by the progressive rock band Yes. That was my first album in 1976.

nice place to start.

Posted By: PrometheanReptilian
Date Posted: April 03 2016 at 23:47
Animals by Pink Floyd...

I never came back since.

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: April 04 2016 at 06:39
Mine was Genesis Live, bought when it first came out as it was a budget release at £1.99. It was my second ever LP after Billion Dollar Babies which cost the princely sum of £2.45.

Date Posted: April 05 2016 at 01:11
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Mine was Genesis Live, bought when it first came out as it was a budget release at £1.99. It was my second ever LP after Billion Dollar Babies which cost the princely sum of £2.45.

Nice; it's always cool to hear from someone who already had experiences with prog so early on... although I have to say, Billion Dollar Babies is also a great first album Smile

-------------

Posted By: Flight123
Date Posted: April 05 2016 at 05:14
If you were a teenager in the early-mid 70s vinyl was expensive!  You made your choices very carefully.  Budget albums such as Genesis 'Live', ELP's 'Pictures at an Exhibition', Pink Floyd's 'Relics' and even 'The Faust Tapes' (sold for the price of a single) were often an introduction to prog. for many or were the first album bought.

Posted By: AEProgman
Date Posted: April 05 2016 at 07:58
The first albums I bought with my own money were actually 8-track tapes.  Believe it or not they were Black Sabbath - Paranoid and something by the Carpenters Embarrassed.  The next one I traded a Three Dog Night 8-track for Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon and from there it was all over.

-------------

Posted By: kjtheguitarist
Date Posted: April 05 2016 at 10:59
Pink Floyd - The Wall

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1VBaAzGBAg&list=PLfiIbNnSF5SOoBY7uktRaC3SvwAhN5Z4j" rel="nofollow - Click here to listen to my music

Posted By: mateprog
Date Posted: November 02 2016 at 10:44
Wish You Were Here. In a friends car after a Metallica gig. 15 years old.

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: November 03 2016 at 03:14
King Crimson In the court of the Crimson King. Dad brought it home for me.

-------------

Date Posted: November 03 2016 at 08:56
Originally posted by mateprog mateprog wrote:

Wish You Were Here. In a friends car after a Metallica gig. 15 years old.
Did you ever live that down?

-------------

Posted By: backtothegarden
Date Posted: November 04 2016 at 09:58
Originally posted by terramystic terramystic wrote:

Dream Theater - Images and Words

Same here.  Some guy in my brother's music theory class hooked him up with a cassette copy of it.  I bought the CD longbox (if you remember those) shortly afterwards.

Then I discovered Helmet, which sent me on an entirely different musical course.  My next prog discoveries would not be made until 6 years after that, when I bought Rush "Permanent Waves" and "Signals", along with Yes "Fragile", from Goodwill, to go along with a sweet Kenwood direct drive turntable.

THEN the rest was history.

Posted By: Scorpius
Date Posted: November 04 2016 at 17:27
Pink Floyds The Wall for me, though I had listened to some songs from the genre before that.  

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: November 05 2016 at 01:15
Originally posted by Scorpius Scorpius wrote:

Pink Floyds The Wall for me, though I had listened to some songs from the genre before that.  

Yeah I heard that in college during a slacking off session in the sound lounge as a group of us were skipping classes. Those were the days

-------------

Posted By: Devoncir
Date Posted: November 05 2016 at 08:54
the same as most of the replies:

YES - FRAGILE and ( and that's different) TORMATO - got them together, and loved them both.

Later I was brainwashed that Tormato wasn't good, but brainwash doesn't work for me, so still love it 

Posted By: frajo99
Date Posted: November 05 2016 at 23:55
I think it was either To Our Children's Children's Children by the Moody Blues or Dark Side of the Moon. I don't really remember the first time I listened to either of those, but I was definitely younger then 10.

Posted By: frajo99
Date Posted: November 05 2016 at 23:58
Originally posted by Devoncir Devoncir wrote:

the same as most of the replies:

YES - FRAGILE and ( and that's different) TORMATO - got them together, and loved them both.

Later I was brainwashed that Tormato wasn't good, but brainwash doesn't work for me, so still love it 

I totally agree with you. Tormato certainly isn't the greatest Yes album, but it is far from bad. I love "Madrigal."

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk