Print Page | Close Window

TREES Garden of Jane Delawney...whole CD.

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific prog albums
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10629
Printed Date: March 28 2024 at 16:37
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: TREES Garden of Jane Delawney...whole CD.
Posted By: Guests
Subject: TREES Garden of Jane Delawney...whole CD.
Date Posted: August 25 2005 at 00:03

OK, I got the MP3 of Garden of Jane Delawney off the progarchives site...but is the whole CD as good as this song??? Personally, i love the feel of the song, very psyche folk, peaceful and a great female voice!

Am I going to be dissapointed by every other song, or are they all mostly mellow and nice like this one?  Let me know, let me know about On the Shore also, same deal??

Thanks!!

Replies:
Posted By: pepolo
Date Posted: August 25 2005 at 00:14
Yeah ! I love that album! My favourite songs are Nothing special, Giasgerion, and the title track.Belive me, you won't be dissapointed.I didn't listened to their second album, so I can't say nothing about it. But garden is really a great!

Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: August 25 2005 at 00:17

hey, awesome man! Any reccomendation for a fan of the song "Garden"

I have ALWAYS been huge into: Moody Blues first 7 albums, Fleetwood Mac Bare Trees/Future Games only, Genesis Gabriel (and trick of tail), Camel up to moonmadness, Caravan, floyd, YES up to going for the one, some ELP, some King Crimson (powerful songs like first part of lizard, cadence and cascade, and all of court of crimson king)

Any reccomendations for stuff like "TREES", i really liked that song!

Posted By: Eetu Pellonpaa
Date Posted: August 25 2005 at 02:25

I would recommend their second album too!

Posted By: Paco Fox
Date Posted: August 25 2005 at 03:26

Trees were something like a psychadelic Steeley Span. I'm a huge fan of 'The Garden of Jane Delawney' - the song (I even wrote a short story based on it), but I wouldn't say the rest of the cd is like it. I mean, sure it is folk-rock, but no other song gets to this high standard. Anyway, if you like the genre, Trees  won't dissapoint you.

If you're looking for other fragile, mysterious folk songs, you can also try these other psych-folk albums:

- The Waters of Sweet Sorrow (Midwinter)

- Stone Angel (Stone Angel)

- Carol of Harvest (Carol of Harvest)

- Haul er yra (Pererin)

I recommend you check out this website: http://psychedelicfolk.homestead.com/Psychedelicfolk.html - http://psychedelicfolk.homestead.com/Psychedelicfolk.html  Among other things, the reviewer has a liking for this kind of bleak folk music.

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: August 25 2005 at 03:39

Both albums of the Trees are equally recommended and are as good as . I don't know why ITGOJD is less rated in the PA as On The Shore, but it is equally as good.

Apparently there exist live tape recodings of a concert, that was once considered for release but I never heard of anything coming up!

-------------
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword

Posted By: Politician
Date Posted: August 25 2005 at 05:53
Both TREES albums are absolutely outstanding, with "The Garden Of Jane
Delawney" perhaps having the slight edge for me. Both LPs define
"progressive folk" in its truest form.

Date Posted: August 25 2005 at 07:31
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Apparently there exist live tape recodings of a concert, that was once considered for release but I never heard of anything coming up!

Hi:

I found a live record in Soulseek once. The sound was so-so, but it had some interesting new tracks.

Date Posted: August 25 2005 at 07:43
Originally posted by Paco Fox Paco Fox wrote:

Hi:Trees were something like a psychadelic Steeleye Span

I found a live record in Soulseek once. The sound was so-so, but it had some interesting new tracks.

There is an American group also called The Trees  - a little later in the 70's and I believe also into folk.

As for The Trees being a psychey Steeleye Span , I prefer to think of them as a more progressive and instrumental Fairport Convention or a rockier version of The Pentangle.

-------------
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen

Posted By: Heptade
Date Posted: August 25 2005 at 08:57
Well, my opinion is that Trees were OK, but Fairport with Sandy Denny
and the second Steeleye album, Please to See the King, which had some
psychedelic reverb mandolin on it, blow them out of the water.

Having said that, I have both Trees albums and enjoy them very much.
But I'm a seventies electric-folk freak.

Date Posted: August 26 2005 at 03:17

There is an American group also called The Trees  - a little later in the 70's and I believe also into folk.

Yes, I've heard that one. It's not a very interesting album. And the cover is just... those people creep me out!

Posted By: Eetu Pellonpaa
Date Posted: August 26 2005 at 04:08

Originally posted by Heptade Heptade wrote:

Well, my opinion is that Trees were OK, but Fairport with Sandy Denny
and the second Steeleye album, Please to See the King, which had some
psychedelic reverb mandolin on it, blow them out of the water.

Fairport is better techincally, but their music is more tradiotional folk. The only song IMO where they do psychedelic or proggy folk is "A Sailor's Tale", which is a great song! "Fotheringay" is perhaps their most beautiful tune, and they did few good Cohen covers in their BBC sessions.

Posted By: Trotsky
Date Posted: January 23 2006 at 13:20
Does anybody know which Trees group recorded an album called The Christ Tree?

I presume it's not the same one that cut Jane Delawney and On The Shore

BTW, Lost Chord & Paco Fox, I too am mesmerized by the song "In the Garden Of Jane Delawney"

-------------
"Death to Utopia! Death to faith! Death to love! Death to hope?" thunders the 20th century. "Surrender, you pathetic dreamer.”

"No" replies the unhumbled optimist "You are only the present."

Posted By: Trotsky
Date Posted: January 23 2006 at 13:52
Just found a review on theunbrokencircle.com ... the Christ Tree is indeed by the US folk group The Trees it was released in 1975 ... that Hugues spoke of of course

Bizarrely some of the tracks on it are actually quite progressive too!

This is the review I found

The Trees - The Christ Tree

Before reviewing this album it's perhaps important to point out it is not by the UK folk-rock band known as Trees (although often referred to erroneously as The Trees).  This is a US Christian communal recording and what a strange and fantastic affair it is.

In reviewing the album it is not my intent to denigrate any religion or belief but I think that most people would accept there is a point where devotion crosses over into obsession, where the people concerned are unable to focus on any other aspect of their lives and lose touch with reality.  This has been shown in countless tragic examples such as the mass suicide-murder of Reverend Jim Jones commune in the late 1970s.  Listening to this album the performers have clearly crossed a line.  On the cover we have the commune in ceremonial dress, with ecstatic looks on their faces which gives some indications of where we are going.

The album merges Indian sitar, harp, guitar, pump organ, koto, dulcimer and massed vocals.  The instrumentation is accomplished and often stunningly beautiful weaving intricate patterns that bring together eastern and celtic, religious and folk music into a cohesive style.  There are countless instruments listed on the sleeve from around the world which give the album a broad sonic palette with excellent production to give a sound that is fairly unique.  The instrumental sections are heart warming and have only recently been matched in the 90s by Stephen Bacchus who is highly recommended often in a similar fusion of world wide styles into a fantastic whole.

Vocally it is so intense that you will either love or hate them, there is no compromise here as these are the songs of the completely obsessed sounding like hippies who left behind the drugs and became devoted.  However they have thought about vocal arrangements with groups of vocalists swooping in and out, dropping to a soloist then building up to huge crescendos.  You could make the case that this either is or isn't folk music, however it's so strange that I don't imagine it will ever find another home (apart from modern cultists who rediscover the album).  Those who imagine The Wicker Man soundtrack is about as strange as it gets would fell propelled to a whole new level here, often you just sit back and think 'these people are demented' almost as though it's beamed to them from elsewhere...

Lyrically if you're not exactly sympathetic to Christianity unless you can look past this then it will be an uncomfortable listen as the songs are either parables of their own disturbed making or psalms.  However taken at face value or ignored it becomes hypnotic and entrancing, it really is a wild and strange journey, it's intensity even becoming unsettling and scary at points.  If the massed sound and vocals of the US band The Polyphonic Spree have interested you recently then they will sound like pre-school listening when you hear this.  In fact they share a vocal technique of using ever building fast repetitive wordless vocals 'na' na' na' Na' Na' NA' NA' that really are quite disturbing.  Last track Psalm 46 is a peak and is quite amazingly beautiful, eventually seeming to reach the state of bliss they have sought throughout this album

Rating an album like this is somewhat superfluous, it is beautiful and cleansing, it is almost disturbing and insane.  Once heard you will never ever forget it, it is unique in the way that few are.  Only Taj Mahal Travellers, Sun Ra, Alice Coltrane and a few others have gone so far out, the question is - do you want to join them? (and will you get back).

This album is being prepared for a reissued commercial release by SomeDarkHoller records.  To obtain it in the interim contact us through this site.

-------------
"Death to Utopia! Death to faith! Death to love! Death to hope?" thunders the 20th century. "Surrender, you pathetic dreamer.”

"No" replies the unhumbled optimist "You are only the present."

Posted By: Politician
Date Posted: January 23 2006 at 17:39
"The Christ Tree" is an excellent psychedelic folk album played on
acoustic Eastern instruments - very different to the work of the UK band.

Date Posted: January 24 2006 at 04:16

Originally posted by Politician Politician wrote:

"The Christ Tree" is an excellent psychedelic folk album played on
acoustic Eastern instruments - very different to the work of the UK band.

Great another impossible album to find on my list of wants!!!

-------------
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk