Forum Description: Discuss and create polls about all types of music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=106436
Printed Date: May 06 2024 at 01:13
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The 70's Double Live Album Poll
Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Subject: The 70's Double Live Album Poll
Date Posted: April 09 2016 at 09:35
In the 70's the "double live album" turned into an art form and seemed to be everywhere.  No major rock act was complete without issuing one of these 2 vinyl disc sets...so...here is a wide ranging list of 70's double lives to choose from...some prog, some not...vote for all your favorites and tell us, if you had to choose just 1, which would it be.  

Note, this poll is for albums originally released on 2 vinyl lp's, so triple live's like Yessongs, Welcome Back My Friends, etc are not included in this poll Wink

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Replies:
Posted By: JD
Date Posted: April 09 2016 at 09:38
Took Deep Purple over Gentle Giant by the smallest of margins

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: April 09 2016 at 09:42
No surprises I have to take Zepp from these choices.  Neil Young the honorable mention. 

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: April 09 2016 at 09:43
the allman's Fillmore album is a curious omission since many rate it as the greatest live album ever done, especially if limited to rock.

of the choices.

DOUBLE LIVE GONZO Thumbs Up

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: April 09 2016 at 09:47
Isn't that live album from Doors called "Absolutely Live"?
I only heard seven of these... I never heard Space Ritual Embarrassed

Posted By: TeleStrat
Date Posted: April 09 2016 at 09:52
UFO - Strangers In The Night

Posted By: addictedtoprog
Date Posted: April 09 2016 at 09:53
Deep Purple ~ Made In Japan
Space Ritual is freaking awesome too..

Posted By: addictedtoprog
Date Posted: April 09 2016 at 09:55
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

the allman's Fillmore album is a curious omission since many rate it as the greatest live album ever done, especially if limited to rock.

+1

Date Posted: April 09 2016 at 09:56
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Oops, you're right.  The original vinyl release was "Absolutely Live"...they later repackaged it to include "Alive She Cried" and renamed it "In Concert" Wink

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: Nightfly
Date Posted: April 09 2016 at 10:32
I think I'll have to go for Deep Purple but I own 16 of those albums and it was up against some stiff competition.

Date Posted: April 09 2016 at 10:34
Just wanted to remind everyone, this is a multiple choice poll so you can vote for more than 1 album Wink

-------------

Posted By: Nightfly
Date Posted: April 09 2016 at 10:41
^ Oh yes, thanks. in that case I've given UFO, Genesis, Rush, BJH, Frank Zappa, Neil Young and Led Zeppelin a vote too.

Posted By: Modrigue
Date Posted: April 09 2016 at 10:45
Made in Japan

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqf2srRfppHAslEmHBn8QP6d_eoanh0eW" rel="nofollow - My compositions

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: April 09 2016 at 10:47

Yeah, I thought the same thing about the Allman Bros. Of those listed, I'd have to say Made in Japan, then Seconds Out, Live Rust and Bursting Out.

Others to consider, off hand on a Saturday morning:

Procol Harum Live with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra (Are you kidding me? This ain't on the list?)
J. Geils - Live: Full House (with one of the greatest harp tunes of all time - "Whammer Jammer")
Ten Years After - Recorded Live 1973 (the best versions of "I'm Going Home", "Choo-Choo Mama", "I Can't Keep from Crying" and "Help Me")
Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush - Live (This should have a warning not to use combustible material while playing the album) 
Rory Gallagher - Irish Tour '74 (Because it's Rory F*cking Gallagher, that's why!)
Foghat - Live (Yes, only one damn album. The other melted during manufacturing)

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Tillerman88
Date Posted: April 09 2016 at 10:50
David Bowie - David Live
The Who - Live at The Isle of Wight Festival

From the list Made In Japan easily.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: April 09 2016 at 10:51
oh great choices... especially the Marino album! Thumbs Up Especially when playing with combustible material LOL

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Pastmaster
Date Posted: April 09 2016 at 12:00
Gentle Giant, although Deep Purple and Rush closely follow.

Posted By: Magnum Vaeltaja
Date Posted: April 09 2016 at 12:26
Made In Japan, Double Live Gonzo and Uriah Heep Live from this list. But my favourite is easily, like others have mentioned, At Fillmore East. 

My favourites that haven't been mentioned, though, are Lynyrd Skynyrd's One More From The Road the Outlaws' legendary Bring It Back Alive.

-------------
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: April 09 2016 at 13:05

Rock of Ages - The Band

In Concert - Derek and the Dominos

Babylon By Bus - Bob Marley & The Wailers

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: April 09 2016 at 13:11
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Oops, you're right.  The original vinyl release was "Absolutely Live"...they later repackaged it to include "Alive She Cried" and renamed it "In Concert" Wink
Never heard of that edition, "Absolutely Live" was the first vinyl I bought and I spun it many times Smile So I voted for that one, "Made In Japan" and "A Live Record".

By the way, I'd like to mention Traffic's "On The Road" that I recently acquired, it's a great double album Thumbs Up

Date Posted: April 09 2016 at 13:40
As mentioned earlier I voted for UFO but I don't think anyone has mentioned Tokyo Tapes by Scorpions.

Posted By: Son.of.Tiresias
Date Posted: April 09 2016 at 13:46
WTH ?
3 MONUMENTAL live albums missing ??? LOL

-------------
You may see a smile on Tony Banksī face but thatīs unlikely.

Date Posted: April 09 2016 at 13:51
A few other double live albums by German bands that I have...

Birth Control - Live  (1974)
Grobschnitt - Jumbo  (1975)
Jane - Live At Home  (1977)
Karthago - Live At The Roxy  (1976)
Kin Ping Meh - Concrete
Satin Whale - Whalecome  (1978)

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: April 09 2016 at 14:15
Space Ritual over Made In Japan

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: Raff
Date Posted: April 09 2016 at 14:24
Out of this list, Made in Japan, The Song Remains the Same and Live Rust are particular favourites. Besides Live at Fillmore East, however, there is another glaring omission (at least to my eyes): Blue Oyster Cult's first live album, the magnificent On Your Feet and On Your Knees.

Posted By: Imperial Zeppelin
Date Posted: April 09 2016 at 14:53
From this list, I'll go with the Hawks. Other than the listed albums, I think my pick would be Coltrane's Live in Seattle. If that doesn't count because it wasn't recorded in the 70s, I will go with one of Miles Davis' albums.

-------------
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: April 09 2016 at 16:02
Magma for me

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: infocat
Date Posted: April 09 2016 at 16:32

I rarely listen to live albums.  In fact, I think Fillmore East is the only one I've ever bought.  And it ended up being the only album I've sold off!  Honestly can't recall exactly what it was about it I didn't like.

Oh, and where is Frampton Comes Alive?  One of the best selling live albums of all time should certainly be part of this poll.  (No, I don't own it.)

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Posted By: ClemofNazareth
Date Posted: April 09 2016 at 18:38
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

Oh, and where is Frampton Comes Alive?

Also CSNY '4-Way Street', Chicago 'Live in Japan' and Seger's 'Live Bullet'.

-------------
"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus

Date Posted: April 09 2016 at 19:36
To everyone endlessly ripping why I chose this and didn't choose that album...why don't you stop whining like little petulant children in a sandbox and go make your own freaking poll?

-------------

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: April 09 2016 at 21:30
I have 11 titles from this list - but I love KRAAN - Live '75 and GURU GURU - Live (which came out in '78) coz they are super-special.

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: April 09 2016 at 21:33
Bursting Out is close but TSRtS is just too good.   Maybe the greatest live rock recording ever.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: April 09 2016 at 21:40

of the choices.

DOUBLE LIVE GONZO Thumbs Up

Another vote indeed for the Allman Bros.Smile

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: April 09 2016 at 21:45
I guess Band of Gypsys just missed qualifying by a few hours.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: DeadSouls
Date Posted: April 10 2016 at 12:02
Doors, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin and Thin Lizzy, classics.

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: April 10 2016 at 12:31
Originally posted by DeadSouls DeadSouls wrote:

Doors, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin and Thin Lizzy, classics.

I'm sorry, but I just don't think the live album The Song Remains the Same is very good; in fact, it's damn sloppy, particularly Page's half-stoned leads. I much prefer the more recent release How the West Was Won. Much higher level of playing and better song selection.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: April 10 2016 at 16:56
^ Of course it was damn sloppy, whether he was stoned or not (and why wouldn't he be), that's what we love about that album and good old 'Stumblefingers' himself.   Page's approach was crucial to what they were trying to do ~ recreating authentic hard blues for a white audience ~ and essential to their sound, whether live or in the studio.   His rough style was no accident.   And lest we forget he was the top studio session man in London for several years before he formed the New Yardbirds, a gig you don't get through incompetence.

-------------

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: April 10 2016 at 17:12
Supertramp - Paris live

-------------

Posted By: AZF
Date Posted: April 10 2016 at 17:13
Voted for Zappa, but would was hoping "Gong Live. Etc." made the list! Maybe the unreleased track and the Radio sessions disqualified it. 

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: April 10 2016 at 18:02
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ Of course it was damn sloppy, whether he was stoned or not (and why wouldn't he be), that's what we love about that album and good old 'Stumblefingers' himself.   Page's approach was crucial to what they were trying to do ~ recreating authentic hard blues for a white audience ~ and essential to their sound, whether live or in the studio.   His rough style was no accident.   And lest we forget he was the top studio session man in London for several years before he formed the New Yardbirds, a gig you don't get through incompetence.

Yep.  My group of friends all knew he could be a "sloppy" player but we loved his stuff way more than the "refined and perfect" Gods Beck and Clapton, to name the two he oft mentioned with.  Stumblefingers made us feel the music in such a personal way and he just rocked those others off the stage.  Although to be fair, the other guys didn't get to play with John and JP, which helped enormously. 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk