Subject: Roxy Music - For Your Pleasure
Date Posted: April 18 2016 at 08:16
As for me, I'm gonna say the title track

-------------
User Banned for this Post

Replies:
Posted By: Intruder
Date Posted: April 18 2016 at 08:32
The entire album is classic Roxy - there isn't a duffer cut to be found on the first two records. 

-------------
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: April 18 2016 at 09:08
A monument to music, rock, prog and art ....Beauty Queen is my all-time fave , a crooner classic with sublime lyrics.
Editions of You is the first punk song while The Bogus Man initiated the trance/dance style. A defining work that still sounds fresh today. 
Yes I am a fan !!!!!! 

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: April 18 2016 at 09:50
^ & ^^      - Yes and yes. What marvellous albums, both.
As for the poll, hard to single out a favourite, but I can really sink my teeth into The Bogus Man (so to speak !!). These guys definitely created something unique for the time - really ahead of their time.

Posted By: AZF
Date Posted: April 18 2016 at 09:56
I love this album and it was a hard choice. I went in the end with "Editions Of You". Mainly for Eno's solo.
I think only " Grey Lagoons" is the weakest track. And even then that's still better than most other bands output.
Roxy Music, they were just so great!

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: April 18 2016 at 10:20
It's a near artrock-masterpiece but the Bogus Man is probably my favorite Roxy-tune.

-------------

Date Posted: April 18 2016 at 10:24
Watchoo mean 'near' ? !!

Posted By: addictedtoprog
Date Posted: April 18 2016 at 10:26
The Bogus Man

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: April 18 2016 at 12:08
Do the Strand. When I think of Roxy Music, this is certainly a defining song, and I love the pounding keys.

My favorite Roxy album by far is Country Life. Great guitar, no Brian Eno.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: April 18 2016 at 12:58
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Do the Strand. When I think of Roxy Music, this is certainly a defining song, and I love the pounding keys.

Country Life , with its famous cover still banned TODAY from our site, is a great album, so is the previous Stranded. In fact , the first 5 Roxy Music albums are stunning. But of course, I am biased....ThankfullyLOL

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Posted By: AlanB
Date Posted: April 18 2016 at 13:06
It's a long time since I've heard this album and I can't remember how half of the songs go. But In Every Dream Home A Heartache has stayed with me for years so I'd go with that one.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: April 18 2016 at 15:33
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Thumbs Up

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: April 18 2016 at 15:34
'Inflatable Dolly......'

Wink

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: April 18 2016 at 18:15
In Every Dream House a Heartache. Prefer the live version though.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: Bucklebutt
Date Posted: April 18 2016 at 21:18
What's wrong with Grey Lagoons? Literally just got done drumming along to it. My favorite track along with Beauty Queen. Love the sheep sounding vocals LOL

Posted By: A_Flower
Date Posted: April 18 2016 at 23:57
^^^Finally! Thank you!

-------------
User Banned for this Post

Date Posted: April 19 2016 at 01:00
Originally posted by Bucklebutt Bucklebutt wrote:

What's wrong with Grey Lagoons? Literally just got done drumming along to it. My favorite track along with Beauty Queen. Love the sheep sounding vocals LOL

Plus the kick ass harmonica solo....Wow! And the killer ending "Grey lagOOoooooooooooooooooooons...." 

-------------

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: April 25 2016 at 05:32
The Bogus Man was always a number to which I could relate. ;) But it's a superb album of great invention.

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: April 25 2016 at 05:58
Love everything on that album, even if the first one is my fav.

Posted By: AZF
Date Posted: April 25 2016 at 07:07
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

Originally posted by Bucklebutt Bucklebutt wrote:

Plus the kick ass harmonica solo....Wow! And the killer ending "Grey lagOOoooooooooooooooooooons...." 

Well technically something has to come last in polls like this and unfortunately it seems to be "Grey Lagoons". And even then it's better than " Strictly Confidential ".

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: April 26 2016 at 19:56
Strand

-------------

Date Posted: April 27 2016 at 13:58
^ really.... Do The Strand kicks ass and is probably the best track on the album
but 'Dream Home' is so creepily weird I had to vote for it.

Clown

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: Michael P. Dawson
Date Posted: April 27 2016 at 14:40
I can't vote in the poll (I'm still eating at the kiddies' table), so I don't have to make the hard choice between the spellbindingly creepy "Dream Home" and the sublime title track. Overall this is probably my favorite Roxy album, although the first is so close that no daylight shows between 'em.

Date Posted: April 28 2016 at 08:10
Originally posted by Michael P. Dawson Michael P. Dawson wrote:

I can't vote in the poll (I'm still eating at the kiddies' table), so I don't have to make the hard choice between the spellbindingly creepy "Dream Home" and the sublime title track. Overall this is probably my favorite Roxy album, although the first is so close that no daylight shows between 'em.

Welcome to PA Michael.....
Smile

All Roxy is good but my personal favorite is Country Life......but I'm going to take For Your Pleasure to work today and listen on the way there.

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: April 29 2016 at 07:11
Kind of derailing the topic here, but any love for the first 2 Eno albums ?? To me, they are the equivalent of the first 2 Roxy albums......

Date Posted: April 29 2016 at 13:22
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Kind of derailing the topic here, but any love for the first 2 Eno albums ?? To me, they are the equivalent of the first 2 Roxy albums......

I like the first 3 and Science also...but Taking Tiger Mtn is one of my all time favorite albums period.
There are some real gems on that one like Mother Whale Eyeless and True Wheel.
Thumbs Up

-------------
Haquin

Date Posted: April 29 2016 at 15:35
Love those early Eno albums. I love his ambient stuff as well, but I think it's a shame that even though he has occasionally returned to singing, he never really returned to the wacked-out surrealism of those first four vocal albums.

Date Posted: April 29 2016 at 15:37
^ Indeed - but I love Put A Straw Under Baby - Wyatt sounds sweet, and is that a Calliope Eno is playing ??
The Fat Lady Of Limbourg is also a masterpiece.
The Paw-Paw Negro Blowtorch is cool - love the VCS3 'solo' in that
So much to like.
Even though after For Your Pleasure, Roxy generated a more 'accessible' sound, they still did well until Flesh And Blood.
Manifesto is very good, has a 'dark' quality to it.

Date Posted: April 29 2016 at 16:10
The original Side 1 of Manifesto was great (including the non-disco version of "Angel Eyes"--they finally restored that on recent CD pressings, didn't they?). I liked Side 2 too, but it got a bit precious in parts. They did grow gradually more conventional/commercial with each release after FYP, yet Siren is one of my favorites even though the weirdness quotient was already almost nil by then.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk