And You and I live - which version?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Polls
Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=106548
Printed Date: May 05 2024 at 04:57
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: And You and I live - which version?
Posted By: emigre80
Subject: And You and I live - which version?
Date Posted: April 24 2016 at 09:39
I have 15 live versions of And You and I on my iPod (and a number more on CD that I haven't yet transferred over).  Which is your favorite?

Replies:
Posted By: micky
Date Posted: April 24 2016 at 09:41
I'm a complete sucker for pretty much anything off of that symphonic album.

I'll take that one

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: April 24 2016 at 09:44
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

I'm a complete sucker for pretty much anything off of that symphonic album.

I'll take that one

I have to agree with you about that album. Astonishing.  But the version of AYAI on Live at Montreux is completely amazing.

Date Posted: April 24 2016 at 09:46
I'll check that out then.. Clap

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: April 24 2016 at 10:01
ahh...  I just checked I don't have that album actually.  So I don't think I've ever heard it. I'll have to youtube it then. 

I've never really been a live album kind of guy actually. Really only 'rock and roll' live albums float my boat generally.  I'll take your high praise as a recommendation worth taking.  I do adore the Symphonic album and I did love the 3 CD live Yes The Word Is live but generally I like the studio versions of Yes songs best.

-------------

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: April 24 2016 at 10:20
Why exactly is ABWH for the "perversed' among us?? I've never understood the beating they took, I find it to be an amazing Yes album...and it IS Yes.

But, I'll have to do some serious listening to get through all 10 versions you listed. Suffice to say, I love the song so I'll like any version.

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Date Posted: April 24 2016 at 10:23
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Why exactly is ABWH for the "perversed' among us?? I've never understood the beating they took, I find it to be an amazing Yes album...and it IS Yes.

But, I'll have to do some serious listening to get through all 10 versions you listed. Suffice to say, I love the song so I'll like any version.

I do enjoy ABWH, and I do agree it's Yes - I've listened to that album a whole lot over the past few years and there are some great Yes songs on it - but their live version of AYAI is lacking something, I just can't put my finger on it....oh, wait, I can - it's lacking Chris Squire's bass.  So it's a decent live version but it would be pretty odd to have someone mark it out as their favorite, because it just isn't great.

Posted By: Magnum Vaeltaja
Date Posted: April 24 2016 at 10:55
Of all the live versions I've heard I always felt that the studio version got it better.

-------------
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents

Date Posted: April 24 2016 at 11:16
Ya, ya...Chris Squire, I get it. But Tony Levin is no slouch. I do agree that Squire had a unique bass sound and singular style. I don't really care for the Symphonic Live or the Yessongs mix. I'd have to go with the original version, and... (he says putting himself in the firing line) the Steve Wilson mix. He just brought everything a little more into the light.

-------------

Date Posted: April 24 2016 at 11:17
I never really thought they captured the beauty of Squires bass in live recordings. There was more energy, but the subtleties of the sound he had in the studio were nowhere to be found.

-------------

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: April 24 2016 at 11:25
The original was a perfect prog song, and my favorite Yes tune. You can come close in live recordings, you can add symphonic frou-frou, but in the end you are only trying to duplicate what was already done in a completeness that can't really be matched.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: April 24 2016 at 11:49
Yessongs.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: TheLionOfPrague
Date Posted: April 24 2016 at 13:20
Mmmm, Live at Montreux I think. Yessongs is great but I prefer the intro being acoustic and IIRC Montreux has the harmonica lines in the "The Preacher the Teacher" section and Yesongs doesn't (and I love that for some reason). I love the Symphonic version too.

-------------
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place

Posted By: fuxi
Date Posted: April 24 2016 at 15:01
This gives me the chance to ask a question I always wanted to ask.

During the original studio version's first great crescendo, Anderson calmly sings: "Co...ming...quick-ly-to-terms-of all expression laid..."

On YESSONGS, however, and on all officially available recordings (PROGENY!) from that same tour, he disturbs this easy-going rhythm by singing:

"C'ming-QUICK-ly-to-TEEEEEERMS..."

It's not easy to explain what I mean, but I'm sure anyone could hear it!

So my question is: what caused Anderson to disturb (what seems to me) a perfectly natural rhythm???

(By the way, I'm sure the best live version of AYAI is on PROGENY somewhere... The band went on to play better at Montreux - those grand climaxes never sounded grander - but there Anderson's voice is a little too wobbly.)

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: April 24 2016 at 15:37
For me it has to be one of the versions from Progeny. Don't know them well enough to differentiate, but being Yessongs came from those tapes I'll vote for that.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: April 24 2016 at 23:59
I think Tsongas and Montreaux are both very good and really the end of Yes as a great live band with a great line up.  The original album version is sort of perfection.

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: April 25 2016 at 02:51
I'll go for the CTTE purist version. They had written and recorded everything. Then they had to learn how to play it all. LOL It was all uphill from there. Yessongs was pretty good too.

Off topic bit. I must admit I was take aback at the extensive editing (Starship Trooper for e.g.) to create that live studio album. Progeny was quite interesting for that.

More or less back on topic. But my favourite non-official version of And You And Me (they were and are appalling at grammar) is one from NYC ... 2004 I think... where the audience were in a such rapture the spontaneous standing ovation was too loud for the band to continue. The audience sourced DVD and audio are both quite good too.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: April 25 2016 at 04:16
I'm a pure purist, so...

-------------

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: April 25 2016 at 08:53

More or less back on topic. But my favourite non-official version of And You And Me (they were and are appalling at grammar) is one from NYC ... 2004 I think... where the audience were in a such rapture the spontaneous standing ovation was too loud for the band to continue. The audience sourced DVD and audio are both quite good too.

OMG I was there--it was Madison Sq Garden---it was I think the Tsongas tour!
I have never seen anything like it or been moved as much at a concert---
was moved to tears---now that is what Yes used to be---the power of Yes music played perfectly
saw them a few times after when JA and Rick had left---and the pure magic was gone
which is why I don't see them live anymore---there is no chance of a moment like that again

Date Posted: April 25 2016 at 18:18

ahh...  I just checked I don't have that album actually.  So I don't think I've ever heard it. I'll have to youtube it then. 

it's been pulled from youtube, unfortunately, and the album is hard to find, as I discovered when I tried to get it for my husband for Christmas. It's worth getting on DVD, the visuals are very good, and there are some really great tracks on it - South Side of the Sky, Heart of the Sunrise and Siberian Khatru, for starters. A really lively version of Don't Kill the Whale (I have a soft spot for that song) and a lovely version of To Be Over by Howe (no lyrics!  thanks be to God!).

I recommend it highly, it's worth the investment for the version of And You and I if nothing else.

Date Posted: April 25 2016 at 20:32
damn... I'll keep an eye out for it. You have really peaked my interest! One benefit of living here is often hard to find albums are easy to find at one of the hundreds of used and 2nd half album stores in the area.

-------------

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: April 26 2016 at 06:57
Have to go for the CTTE version.
I really enjoy the live recordings (some more than others), but the original brings it home.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Date Posted: April 26 2016 at 07:22

damn... I'll keep an eye out for it. You have really peaked my interest! One benefit of living here is often hard to find albums are easy to find at one of the hundreds of used and 2nd half album stores in the area.

I got it on iTunes but I know you won't use that option.  I live in a used record and CD desert out here in Lexington.

Posted By: DDPascalDD
Date Posted: April 26 2016 at 08:17
I've never truly liked any live version more than the studio one.

-------------
https://pascalvandendool.bandcamp.com/album/a-moment-of-thought" rel="nofollow - New album! "A Moment of Thought"

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: April 26 2016 at 22:25
Not sure between the original one and the sympyhonic one. The Symphonic complement really works wonderfully with the song, but the original one has THE line-up from Yes, specially Bruford... I might give a slight edge to the original one, but will vote for the symphonic one becaus it needs the love more.

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: April 27 2016 at 01:23
Studio any day.

-------------

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: April 27 2016 at 02:52
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

And You And Me (they were and are appalling at grammar)

And You And I is correct in this case.

Date Posted: April 27 2016 at 05:45
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

No. If the phrase omitted "You And" It would read, "And I" which sounds silly. "And Me" sounds and reads ok. The reflexive (second person) pronoun is the correct one here.

Posted By: DDPascalDD
Date Posted: April 27 2016 at 07:32
I always interpeted it as "artistic freedom" and that the first 'and' doesn't stand there because of a summation but rather symbolises that the first (I) and second person (You) are equal. (I do not know if this matters though as I'm not a native speaker.)

-------------
https://pascalvandendool.bandcamp.com/album/a-moment-of-thought" rel="nofollow - New album! "A Moment of Thought"

Date Posted: April 27 2016 at 07:36

No. If the phrase omitted "You And" It would read, "And I" which sounds silly. "And Me" sounds and reads ok. The reflexive (second person) pronoun is the correct one here.

"And I" is correct. You would say, for example, "And I would as well," whereas you would never say "And me would as well."  You would say "me" following a preposition (such as "please hand it to me") but in this case, "And I climb over the seas to the valley" leaves out the "and you" and remains correct.

Date Posted: April 27 2016 at 08:41
Yes, "And I would as well," is correct. However, one would not say "Give it to him, or you? And I as well." "Give it to him or you? And me." The positioning of the pronoun is important. I would however concede artistic license as the pomposity of the title suits the piece. And You And Me doesn't quite have the same ring to it.

Posted By: Michael P. Dawson
Date Posted: April 27 2016 at 09:56

Yes, "And I would as well," is correct. However, one would not say "Give it to him, or you? And I as well." "Give it to him or you? And me." The positioning of the pronoun is important.

Your example has nothing to do with the lyric. In your example, the pronouns are objects of a preposition (to) and take the objective case. In the lyric, the pronouns are subjects of the sentence "And you and I climb crossing the shapes of the morning," so the subjective case is correct. The part that's ungrammatical is that the sentence begins with a conjunction. Tongue

Date Posted: April 27 2016 at 10:00
(P.S., I can't believe I'm defending the grammar of Yes lyrics, of all things!)

Date Posted: April 27 2016 at 10:41

I beg to differ

http://www.betterwritingskills.com/tip-w026.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.betterwritingskills.com/tip-w026.html

You can't take "And You and I" on its own. If you omit "And You And" from the phrase "And you and I climb, crossing the shapes of the morning", "I climb" would be correct, "Me climb" clearly would not be.

Date Posted: April 27 2016 at 10:42
Originally posted by Michael P. Dawson Michael P. Dawson wrote:

The part that's ungrammatical is that the sentence begins with a conjunction. Tongue

Yes thanks, I should have said that as well.

Date Posted: April 27 2016 at 11:04
No one said anything about climbing. If so, fine. As it stands; not.

Conjunctions now. Excellent stuff.

Date Posted: April 27 2016 at 11:12

Originally posted by Michael P. Dawson Michael P. Dawson wrote:

The part that's ungrammatical is that the sentence begins with a conjunction. Tongue

Yes thanks, I should have said that as well.

"Today’s topic is whether it’s OK to begin a sentence with and, but, or or. The short answer is: yes, and just about all modern grammar books and style guides agree! So who is it that keeps saying it’s wrong to do it? 

It’s Fine to Start a Sentence with a Coordinating Conjunction

And, but, and or are the three most common members of a group of words known as coordinating conjunctions. The question about whether it’s grammatical to begin a sentence with and, but, or or is actually the question of whether it’s grammatical to begin a sentence with a coordinating conjunction. Here’s what some of the big usage guides say on the matter. The one that seems to get quoted the most is the http://www.chicagomanualofstyle.org/home.html" rel="nofollow - There is a widespread belief—one with no historical or grammatical foundation—that it is an error to begin a sentence with a conjunction such as and, but or so. In fact, a substantial percentage (often as many as 10 percent) of the sentences in first-rate writing begin with conjunctions. It has been so for centuries, and even the most conservative grammarians have followed this practice.

Both http://www.lawprose.org/bryan_garner/book_gamu_3rd.php" rel="nofollow - - Modern English Usage call this belief a superstition. The http://books.google.com/books?id=2yJusP0vrdgC&sitesec=buy&source=gbs_buy_r" rel="nofollow - - See more at: http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/can-i-start-a-sentence-with-a-conjunction#sthash.iOt9XvSx.dpuf" rel="nofollow - http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/can-i-start-a-sentence-with-a-conjunction#sthash.iOt9XvSx.dpuf

It is also acceptable to end a sentence with a preposition, which I had always believed was incorrect as well. 

Date Posted: April 27 2016 at 11:30
Well I'll be jiggered. Learn something every day! Smile

Date Posted: April 27 2016 at 12:11
I can't believe I'm quoting the Chicago Manual of Style - which I loathe - to make a point about the grammatical correctness of Yes lyrics - which I couldn't possibly care less about. But there's a principle at stake here!*

*notice how I started that sentence with a conjunction.  Just because I can.

Posted By: Michael678
Date Posted: April 28 2016 at 05:46
going for the Symphonic Live version

-------------
Progrockdude

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: April 02 2018 at 02:34
Yessongs
CTTE album version

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: April 02 2018 at 03:34
The CTTE version - from the first improvised notes - is so good, but for a live version then Yessongs is well ahead of the rest.

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Posted By: maryes
Date Posted: April 02 2018 at 04:48
YESSONGS

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: June 20 2018 at 11:40
I like the Keys to Ascension version, When Squire come in after the acoustic section toward the end of the song it always blows me away. His bass sounds funky raspy & beautiful all at the same time. It's only a few notes but it's pure magic. 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk