Print Page | Close Window

What do the people you know think of prog?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Music Lounge
Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=106976
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 18:51
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: What do the people you know think of prog?
Posted By: A_Flower
Subject: What do the people you know think of prog?
Date Posted: June 10 2016 at 18:48
Your family, friends, anyone. Do they like it, dislike it, or just don't care about it? I played my sister a Genesis song once and she hated it, my mom and dad like some of it and dislike some too. Most of my friends refuse to give it a chance after I tell them the average length is 7 - 10 minutes. What about you?

-------------
User Banned for this Post

Replies:
Posted By: zappaholic
Date Posted: June 10 2016 at 19:00
They don't.  Think of it, that is.

/actually that's not true. my dad is a fan of Genesis and the Jethros

-------------
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken

Posted By: Enchlore
Date Posted: June 10 2016 at 19:36
Some are turned off by the length, but I've managed to make some people listen to ELP, Genesis, Yes etc. without complaining.

But the most outrageous comment came from my mother who said it was all the same thing, the rhythm doesn't change, it's a sequence that never changes. To which I was perplexed at how she could come to that conclusion but oh well.

-------------
If you like King Crimson, come over to the KC Discord server! https://discord.gg/6AYBxBD

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: June 10 2016 at 20:09
Wherever I go, I try to interest people around me in the music of my favourite band, Triumvirat, but mostly, to no avail.
        At work I get funny looks kind of like "TriumvirWHAT?" Actually, they kid me a lot, with my obsession with the band. But in terms of actually listening to them or other prog? Most of them couldn't be bothered.
              My sisters don't take an interest; they are pretty mainstream in their music taste.
               Luckily, my best friend likes prog, and will listen to it with me. Not all is accessible to him, but he does like Triumvirat and Le Orme, for example.
                I have another friend who likes progressive music, but we don't listen to it together; he is too busy watching science fiction movies, series, etc. which is ok in itself, but limiting in terms of prog appreciation.
                      My late father, who was from the generation that grew up on 1940s jazz, actually could get something out of progressive rock; my mother never heard it.

Posted By: ginodi
Date Posted: June 10 2016 at 20:26
My nine year old daughter loves Prog and says it is the only music that matters. My wife has no choice but to listen while in the car and likes a good bit. My friends...I think they believe I must possess some cool intelligence to follow and talk of it as much as I do. Hell, I shall take that compliment. They can't understand how can listen to such long songs without losing focus and becoming bored. Not difficult at all really.

Posted By: TheLionOfPrague
Date Posted: June 10 2016 at 20:49
I was listening to Mike Oldfield (Incantations) and my mom said it sounded like church music, and then like Christmas music.

My sister when I was listening to The Endless River said Talking Hawking sounded like if it was Stephen Hawking talking LOL. Surprisingly she said she liked "Mood for a Day" when I was listening to Fragile.

-------------
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: June 10 2016 at 21:56
Mostly I would say people don't care. The best aproach I have found is, when I put music in the car, mainly if I get to give somone a ride, I ask what to put on, usully people will say whatever. Then I say weird stuff may come out of my random IPod, or heavy, or just difficult and they will go whatever. Then not so easily will they complain.

A little while ago some friend in FB shared an acoustic song from Aerosmith... I said it was nice, but I still liked better the original. So came the thing that it was rock and it was suposed to have a punch that was lost in the acoustic treatment. So I sugested I knew some bands that really could rock without electric guitar... to which she said it would be interesting to hear some. I sugested Led Zeppelin's "Babe, I'm gonna leave you"; Apocalyptica (which she said she already knew, and I guess liked to some extent); Corvus Corax (which was new to her and said she liked)... and from there I jumped to Van Der Graaf Generator (even though they are not really acoustic, they hardly have an electric guitar, and they rock with the sax)... the thing is she said she really liked it (I shared "The Sleepwalkers")... and said she found it kind of soft... I'm not really sure if she really heard it all or if she will ever listen to more of them, though. Still, it's fun how I went from an acoustic Aerosmith song to suggesting VDGG and not being told I was crazy.

Posted By: Imperial Zeppelin
Date Posted: June 11 2016 at 04:46
They haven't heard of it. It's not a popular style of music around these parts.

-------------
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."

Posted By: DDPascalDD
Date Posted: June 11 2016 at 04:52
It's always the length which makes it boring. But if you go back to the time when you got into prog, wasn't that exactly the thing you didn't really like? It took me quite some time to appreciate epics in full.
And well, there are shorter prog songs, but they tend to be less proggy.

-------------
https://pascalvandendool.bandcamp.com/album/a-moment-of-thought" rel="nofollow - New album! "A Moment of Thought"

Posted By: ALotOfBottle
Date Posted: June 11 2016 at 05:18
My parents like some of it, my mom says "Nah, it's too complicated.", my dad likes some bands like Art Zoyd, Art Bears, Henry Cow, and some far out avant-garde stuff. My friends? They think I'm a snob, most of them at least. One of my better friends likes a bit of prog, being a black metal/industrial/post-rock fan.

-------------
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: June 11 2016 at 06:53
People are conditioned to strict formats, recall 10 seconds removed from a Heep guitar to ensure a song gets played on the radio. Odd really, first rock and pop songs are truncated then we get the notion of extended (or more accurately the original unedited version) of something.

Reminds me of a most amusing moment ages ago when in a car with a new soon to be ex a while back. Shine On was played on "classic rock" radio. Good stuff. Part 1 only. ... Literally part 1. 1.30 seconds worth. Parts 2 - 5 (expected) were omitted.

Some people like records that are the same old thing over and over (ACDC) but hearing music that is supposed to be rock that does not conform to expectations makes people react negatively. It's not surprising as most folks like the safe and familiar. Actually I'm not too different from that mind set.

As for Genesis sounding the same all the time... Eh what? Actually I doubt many people know too much about harmony (look at the Latest Zeppelin law suit for a good laugh - it used to be a net joke on Metallica riffs years ago now its a reality.

People are defined by associated culture rather than music. Once, a long, long time ago for one weekend (this was really amazing and never replicated) I managed to whistle the instrumental break in One For The Vine all the time for that one weekend. A female flat mate remarked that was a nice bit of music. Well, very true although my whistling hardly does that diamond of a piece of music justice. Nonetheless I told her the origins and upon hearing whose music it was she said it was actually dreadful. Seriously.

Trouble is prog rock does not have a pop culture identity though associated acts do e.g. metal with a prog orientation - people will think metal - not prog rock. It was always a hard sell as the record companies knew. They had to rely on people listening to music on it's own. Appalling idea. No fashion, dance or even associated drugs by which to infer some street cred type thing. Sure some associate and indulge the usual illegal tobacco but you can get that idea with anything. Worse than punk as it meant music critics might have to know something.

Which reminds me. Why the negative reviews? The press had deadlines and had to absorb content, objectively analyze, disseminate etc. Faced with Lamb Tales, APP, BSS etc It may have meant not getting to the pub and a free round in time. Going to make Yes, Genesis ELP et al pay for that one!

Prog rock is for the classical rock outliers not pop culture identifiers.

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: June 11 2016 at 06:54
Too general a question because there's a whole spectrum of opinions ranging from ignorance (of the very existence of something called to prog) to indifference to passionate following thereof.  For a sample of the last, my friend has a band, Rainburn (which I helped add to the website ha ha ha) and they played a gig in my city for the first time this last Thursday so common friends (all prog lovers to varying degrees) turned up to support him and click photos with the would-be prog legend. Cool   And most of us are in our early thirties by the by (so not an old fogy thing).

Posted By: King Manuel
Date Posted: June 11 2016 at 07:37
Although my wife owned a few prog records (ELP, Marillion, Yes) even before I met her she is not a big fan of it. She bought above mentioned artists because of a specific song on the album, eg. ELP - Take a pebble. She has a much more mainstream taste than I do.
My brother is a even bigger prog fan than I am and listens to stuff that is too much for me, like Sleepy Time Gorilla Museum, for example.  My kids liked it when they where younger, but now they find it old fashioned.
I played Devin Townsend in the car to a (female) work colleague and she loved it; but then she is also not that much into mainstream. She is mainly a goth fan. Another collegue once said my music reminds her of musicals. That made me truely worried Shocked

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: June 11 2016 at 08:00
Hi,

Over the years I have had a few boners, but in general, no one has ever really sat down and talked music with me. This place, is as close as I have gotten to actually share some music, and appreciate folks comments and experiences, however different they might be from mine.

But one time, when someone said to me he loved music and knew all the songs, after all he had 999 mp3's on his iPod, I immediately turned over my 3 books of CD's, each of which has a band with 3 or 4 LP's worth of songs in them, and it was only about 400 CD's ... (I take my collection from a band, put it on a CD and I can play it on the car) ... over 150 bands available in the car.

When the guy looked at it, and realized that he only knew "a few songs" he never talked music around me anymore, but his wife told me that he one day asked ... if the stuff I had, was really music!

I guess some folks confuse "song" with "music" and with "hit". I always think of "pop musik" as just a song, not serious music as one of our dearest friends would have said! 

Or the best one around Guy Guden ... someone interrupting his show to say Golden Earring is not "rock'n'roll" ... and Guy having to say ... who cares, it's great music! Some folks seem to think that rock'n'roll is music and classical and anything else isn't! 

How's that for weird?

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Magnum Vaeltaja
Date Posted: June 11 2016 at 08:28
I've always been very surprised by how receptive people have been to the prog I play for them. Maybe it's because most of my friends have some sort of musical training. The strangest reaction I've ever had to playing prog for someone was one of my friends back in the day, who was a girl who had basically only listened to top 40 hits. Her first exposure to prog was Tales From Topographic Oceans. Oddly enough, she loved it instantly.

-------------
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents

Posted By: Ier
Date Posted: June 11 2016 at 09:08
My dad is a big Pink Floyd fan, and my mom appreciates Focus, Mike Oldfield and some folky prog... So yeah, I grew up with good music! 

I have a lot of friends who love progressive rock... Uhm... It's actually the other way around, I became friends with them because we have similar music taste. 

My boyfriend and I are big prog fans, but he's a lot pickier than I am. I really appreciate all what he plays when we listen to music, but sadly some music which I adore aren't his taste. He's more of the old school prog, while I'm open for a lot of different (prog) genres. 

Sadly I also lost some friends because they didn't understand my music taste... Well, actually my dedication to music. There are a lot of people out there who 'hear' music, but actually never listen, and don't have a special taste in it. I don't mind, but somehow they seemed to be 'annoyed' by my dedication. They also thing all what I do now (writing reviews, doing interviews, etc) is 'just a hobby', or worse, they even say that I should quit and need to find a real job (or jokingly sending hints that I need to find something else). Sadly I have no support from my parents either, while they actually got me into prog. They think I've ruined my seven years of education (I studied Microbiology and graduated in 2013) and that I 'need' a proper job in a laboratory, so I can earn 'proper' money... While I'm now happier than I've ever been by doing reviews, interviews and such. 

I know, it's better to say that "our daughter works at a topnotch laboratory and earns big money" than "our daughter followed her dreams, enjoys what she does now every day but struggles hard financially", but I hope my parents would be proud of me someday... 

-------------
http://grendelhq.wordpress.com" rel="nofollow - My personal page

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: June 11 2016 at 09:35
My friends still love it, although most of us are enjoying many other kinds of music as well. 

The younger set in the extended family doesn't pay it much attention.  Music doesn't seem as important to them as it was to me, but the amount of young people I know is not a huge sample. 

-------------

Posted By: zravkapt
Date Posted: June 11 2016 at 10:29
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Over the years I have had a few boners

LOLLOLLOL

97.8% of the human race doesn't even know what 'prog' is (even if they listen to it). In general, most people I knew didn't care for the prog I listened to with the exception of some Floyd and Zappa. One time I remember a buddy came to my place, I don't remember what I was playing, but he shakes his head and says to himself "Darryl and his weird music"LOL

Another time I played Gong's "A Sprinkling Of Clouds" for some stoned teenagers and they loved it.Thumbs Up

-------------
Magma America Great Make Again

Posted By: fudgenuts64
Date Posted: June 11 2016 at 12:16
My sister likes some of it, Rush and Floyd I know she has albums of but for my tastes, recently she said she thought Genesis was fine, but Yes and Renaissance were weird. She'd probably hate Caravan, The Enid, or wow, she'd probably hate any neo prog. My friend who essentially only listens to hip hop always says when I tell him I'm not interested in that kind of music "but all you listen to is prog!" and I'm thinking to myself you're the one who's heard Abacab and assumes that's what prog is. Heh. And I've got a friend into prog, he likes a lot of the metal stuff but he digs Genesis and Renaissance and a lot of stuff like that. We share really obscure bands a lot.

-------------

Posted By: proghog36
Date Posted: June 11 2016 at 12:42
I Love Genesis there a great band very different and the length of the songs make it all the more great cause they have class musicians and each person wants to ply there part like with steve Hackett guitar solo or tony banks on keys

Posted By: DeadSouls
Date Posted: June 11 2016 at 13:23
Null.

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: June 11 2016 at 13:47
Who gives a damn what other people people think of prog? They don't like it, they can get out of the car and walk.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: June 11 2016 at 13:54
Depends on the prog in question really
Porcupine/Swilson/Syd Arthur/Sigur Ros/Radiohead and the likes go down like hot chocolate with most of my friends. If I then pop on Samla Mammas Manna I'll quickly be all by myself (and that one guy who is still struggling to put on Wu-Tang Clan).
I don't think I ever use the word prog outside of PA though. I never introduce myself as a progger/proghead - I am a music fan first and foremost that just so happens to enjoy a lot of the stuff (some) folks call prog.
Either way, I have stopped caring about what others think about the music I love. I ocassionally slip in some weird sh*t at parties and so forth, but it is almost always followed by completely flabbergasted attendants that look like someone set fire to their eyebrows.
I do have a few friends who are into the more left-field areas of music, but they tend to bow out at Trout Mask Replica.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: June 11 2016 at 17:58
My father played an important role getting me into prog playing Manfred Mann's Earthband's Watch on the car tape deck to me. He also had some good albums, Aqualung, some Novalis (local heroes), ELP and Deep Purple. But soon I found out that he didn't really care about rock music; I think he rather bought this stuff because some friends of him found it cool. When he played the MMEB tape that initiated my passion for music, he didn't even know what band it was, he had just grabbed something that was flying around in the car. He is an amateur choir singer these days and only listens to classical music, same his wife.

My brother is mostly into rock/pop stuff that is more easy going, but he has his moments. For him Talk Talk's Colour of Spring is the best album ever, which shows some taste, I'd say. He never was remotely as much of an Earthband fan as I am, but still likes Nightingales & Bombers, which is their best for me, too. Most prog leaves him cold, though.

I have some friends who listen to good music including some prog. A good friend of mine doesn't like the label "prog" and "prog fans" because he thinks that making a label of it means trying to go back to the seventies (he has a point there...). He looks for qualities in today's music that are new and contemporary (whatever that means) but is quite knowledgeable and very keen on good 70s prog such as Zappa, Can, Pink Floyd, several RPI bands. Another friend of mine loved "crossover" prog when we were 15-20, like Supertramp, Alan Parsons, end 70s Genesis etc., but disappointingly changed his taste later to pure charts music. Another friend is one of the world's biggest David Bowie fans but will happily join when I ask her to see for example Jaga Jazzist or Steve Hackett live. By and large, friends of mine who care about music love at least some prog.

Posted By: Sardonite Calamity
Date Posted: June 11 2016 at 19:33
My mother hates prog, and wonders why it's called prog if it sounds like it's stuck in the 70's. My dad likes prog, but I'm the biggest consumer in my family, my siblings don't really listen to music. My best friend likes pop, so he hates it (and rock in general) most of my friends think it's weird that the music I listen to is around 20 minutes long (but I think its completely normal). I also consider 9 minutes short for prog, or as a song in general   

-------------
I used to have a really good signature but I forgot it...

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: June 11 2016 at 19:43
Originally posted by Sardonite Calamity Sardonite Calamity wrote:

My mother hates prog, and wonders why it's called prog if it sounds like it's stuck in the 70's. 

http://www.sherv.net/red.neck.laughing-emoticon-3064.html" rel="nofollow">red neck laughing emoticon

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: emigre80
Date Posted: June 11 2016 at 20:41
My husband loves prog. I don't care about the rest of the world as long as he gets what I'm on about.

Date Posted: June 11 2016 at 20:42
When we're driving in the car, and I ask my daughter what music she wants to hear, her answer is "Anything but Yes."

So I'm batting .500 in my immediate family.

Posted By: Vompatti
Date Posted: June 11 2016 at 21:04
They don't know what it is k

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: June 11 2016 at 21:40
My family tolerate it. My sis loves Floyd, Yes, Genesis, select Zappa, Sabbath, Marillion etc. - she hates VDGG / Hammill and the handful of Extreme bands I listen to with a passion.
My Dad puts up with it, including when I blare Gorguts at full volume. I once got him to watch an interview with Jens Kidman and Tomas Haake (Meshuggah) and he said that they come across as 'intelligent guys' for headbangers.
A young lady at my work was already familiar with Floyd, Opeth, Karnivool, Lamb Of God and had seen Tool live. I was lending her many CD's and got her into, of all things, VDGG - she kept Present for at least a month. She also fell for Rush, Anglagard and the Ozrics.
I find the majority of folks just haven't got the attention span to sit through most Prog though.
Some even say it's 'crazy music'.....

Posted By: Formentera Lady
Date Posted: June 11 2016 at 21:53
None of my friends know what it is. Cry Those whom I try to convince did not like it. It can't be the length, because a lot of my friends are into classical or jazz music and are used to pieces longer than 20 minutes.
My brother has Genesis in his music collection, but when I tried to introduce King Crimson to him, he says he gets tooth pain from it.
In Germany no one I talked to have ever heard of King Crimson. In Japan, where I am living now, people at least heard of the band's name. My Japanese teacher says, she knows the band because her sister plays it now and then. Thumbs Up

-------------
http://theprogressiveweb.blogspot.de" rel="nofollow - Visit me in Second Life to talk about music.

Date Posted: June 11 2016 at 22:24

Some folks seem to think that rock'n'roll is music and classical and anything else isn't! 

How's that for weird?

I think on this forum there's next to nobody who says that but then this kind of strawman-assailing comment is par for the course coming from you.

Posted By: SpookyGhost
Date Posted: June 12 2016 at 00:29
All my friends hate prog, My best friend has a true hatred for Genesis and Rush because "The lead singers are too high pitched" which I can see for Geddy lee, but not Peter Gabriel

-------------
I don't know what to put here

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: June 12 2016 at 02:46
my GF - that's the crap my BF listens to
my brothers - yeah, that weird kind of jazz-rock stuff you play
my colleagues - that avant-garde stuff you like (some of it is indeed avant-garde)
my parents - you could at least listen to stuff that is easily understood
my non-music friends - that weird uncommercial stuff we only get to hear when you're around
my music friends - prog; jazz & jazz-rock/fusion

the others - they don't know (I don't speak about it) and they don't care (and I don't care of theirs and will not tell them mine)

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: June 12 2016 at 05:26
The most accessible songs, short and melodic, are liked by many, like "Cadence and "Cascade" for example, or songs that became popular, like "Living in the Past", or "From the Beginning", are remembered and liked by older people. The younger generation, the ones who like Usher, Beyoncé, etc, don't really care much frankly, but appreciate some of them as oldie-style music. Very few have ever tried a whole album, since not even the music They liked is presented to them in that format; in fact, hardly anyone downloads a whole album from iTunes these days, so our loved "whole album concept music" is not a very popular idea for modern day musicians,

Posted By: Aussie-Byrd-Brother
Date Posted: June 12 2016 at 05:38
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

A young lady at my work was already familiar with Floyd, Opeth, Karnivool, Lamb Of God and had seen Tool live. I was lending her many CD's and got her into, of all things, VDGG - she kept Present for at least a month. She also fell for Rush, Anglagard and the Ozrics.

Sh*t, Tom....at no point you thought `I should probably be asking this girl to marry me....'?! This sounds like the girl we all dream about!

Ha, even my Italian ex HATED the Italian prog stuff, I remember getting her to explain the lyrics of Le Orme's `Felona e Sorona', and after a minute or two she said "I don't know...some nonsense about planets...and brothers and sisters...I don't have time for this crap...."

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: June 12 2016 at 06:55
^ Mike, she is practically married - and 27 - too young. Very pretty, too

Posted By: thwok
Date Posted: June 12 2016 at 07:34
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

The most accessible songs, short and melodic, are liked by many, like "Cadence and "Cascade" for example, or songs that became popular, like "Living in the Past", or "From the Beginning", are remembered and liked by older people. The younger generation, the ones who like Usher, Beyoncé, etc, don't really care much frankly, but appreciate some of them as oldie-style music. Very few have ever tried a whole album, since not even the music They liked is presented to them in that format; in fact, hardly anyone downloads a whole album from iTunes these days, so our loved "whole album concept music" is not a very popular idea for modern day musicians,

Thank you, Manuel!  I think it's important to consider the age and generation of listeners in this conversation.  Most of my friends are the people I work with.  I'm 50, so I'm at least 20 years older than most of them.  I don't spend a lot of time trying to convert people, but I know most of them wouldn't be moved by prog.  However, one of my immediate supervisors is in his early 30s.  He loves rock from the classic prog era, so he and I love a lot of the same bands!

-------------
I am the funkiest man on the planet!

Posted By: andreol263
Date Posted: June 12 2016 at 10:00
Well, my parents, the majority of my friends think that it's crazy-stoner music, but i converted some of them to prog, it's very simple in reality to do this, but you have to wait the right time(the time when they are bored from past and present music(rock, pop,etc) and on a point where it's very close to they give up from all types of music, and then, i show them progTongue).

-------------

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: June 12 2016 at 10:54
My wife hates it, she calls it "guy music."  

Mind you, this lady attended Yes 35th Anniversary tour (pictured with me and Lord Richard!) and The Musical Box's "Lamb" show.  

At least she gave it a shot! 

< ="cosymantecnisbfw" co="cs" id="SILOBFWID" style="width: 0px; height: 0px; display: block;">

Posted By: Affek
Date Posted: June 12 2016 at 11:10
My parents label prog rock as "unlistenable noise", but they describe any song that's over 5 minutes as too long and pretentious. My close friend enjoys Jethro Tull, especially late 70's albums like Songs from the Wood (he's a big fan of folk music) and the rest of my aquintances don't really care for it, sometimes they call my musical taste weird.

-------------
Prog Rock (1969-1977)

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: June 12 2016 at 14:31
The people I know that like various forms of music have no problem with it and  have some prog in their collections. The rest don't really matter all that much because they aren;t into music much anyway.
My wife rarely says anything to me about it , my daughters don't either , and my son in law is ok with it but doesn't really listen to it much being more of an alt blues  and rock fan.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: June 12 2016 at 19:39
My friends don't know what Prog is. They just like things like Jethro Tull and Pink Floyd.

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Posted By: Star_Song_Age_Less
Date Posted: June 12 2016 at 20:13
My dad got me into it, so he of course likes it.  And my husband likes some of it (Rush mostly, though he'll tolerate other things if I play them).

Most others just don't have the attention span for music more than a few minutes long.  Though when I meet female singers, they all tend to greatly enjoy Renaissance (after they've heard it, which they never have before they met me).  One of my best friends is the only exception to that rule I can think of.

I know some traditional musicians - meaning orchestral - and they despise prog rock.  They think it's elitist.  Which I find funny coming from them.

-------------
https://www.facebook.com/JamieKernMusic

Posted By: Prog Geo
Date Posted: June 13 2016 at 00:15
Originally posted by Affek Affek wrote:

My parents label prog rock as "unlistenable noise", but they describe any song that's over 5 minutes as too long and pretentious. My close friend enjoys Jethro Tull, especially late 70's albums like Songs from the Wood (he's a big fan of folk music) and the rest of my aquintances don't really care for it, sometimes they call my musical taste weird.
I guess your parents won't be satisfied if they listen to Vomir (harsh noise artist)! Tongue

-------------
Sonorous Meal show every Sunday at 20:00 (greek time) on http://www.justincaseradio.com

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: June 13 2016 at 06:48
I used to get ribbed by family back in the 80s when I would listen to Rush. They didn't get it. These days I'm surrounded by people who only like pop fluff Dead

Before my daughter got corrupted by Miley Cyrus and Katy Perry, etc I had her listening to and enjoying, almost the entire Permanent Waves album. She also liked Red Barchetta.
I knew it wouldn't last but it was fun while it did Big smile

Posted By: Project Nightscape
Date Posted: June 13 2016 at 07:56
Growing up in the 70s and 80s, my mom couldn't understand my fascination with prog. She was particularly put off by Rush's recurring use of the "man against star" symbol, ignoring its Orwellian implications and asking: "Why'd they have to put a naked man on the cover?"

My wife finds most prog intolerable noise. Standout exceptions include select tracks from Peter Gabriel's solo albums and Marillion's pop-inflected "Marbles," especially "Neverland."

My oldest son (and recent college grad) appreciates a substantial number of prog acts. I started him out on classic Rush and Marillion and he's since explored the genre intermittently. My youngest son, however, listens almost exclusively to rap and R&B. Thankfully, he tends toward the most progressive-sounding acts in the genre like Flying Lotus, Run the Jewels and Kendrick Lamar.

I generally don't try to introduce new acquaintances to prog unless they seem the musically adventurous type.

-------------
https://projectnightscape.bandcamp.com/releases

www.nightscapeseries.com

In music the passions enjoy themselves. - Nietzsche

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: June 13 2016 at 11:07
I just have one story to recount, probably from the early 1990s.
A friend who had clearly rehearsed this and planned for just the right moment to say it, said the following, and I paraphrase as best as I can remember.

"You think that the music you like is unknown to people, and they would like it if only they heard it, but they have heard it, and they have rejected it".  

It was shared with the intention of stinging, and it did.  He was basically right.  I think it was a turning point for me.  Since then I have slowly but surely cared less and less about whether people like my music or not, but am really happy and appreciative when I have guests and I get some compliments on the mix I am playing (which is probably 70% prog)

Date Posted: June 13 2016 at 11:12
I figure that getting to know me is challenging enough without throwing prog into the mix.

Most of the people I know are not really into music anyway. This is Kentucky, after all.

Date Posted: June 13 2016 at 11:19
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

A friend who had clearly rehearsed this and planned for just the right moment to say it, said the following, and I paraphrase as best as I can remember.

"You think that the music you like is unknown to people, and they would like it if only they heard it, but they have heard it, and they have rejected it".  

It was shared with the intention of stinging, and it did.  He was basically right.  I think it was a turning point for me.  Since then I have slowly but surely cared less and less about whether people like my music or not, but am really happy and appreciative when I have guests and I get some compliments on the mix I am playing (which is probably 70% prog)

Well said, Ken.  My epiphany happened when I either read or heard somebody describe Beatles as pretentious.  I was like, ok so why I am wasting my time anyway. LOL If opinions about music are THAT diverse, surely it's pointless to bother about who does or who doesn't like prog.  

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: June 13 2016 at 11:35
I know a few 'rock' fans who like some prog. Accessable stuff like Rush, but generally most people I know either hate it or ignore it.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Date Posted: June 13 2016 at 15:12

Not sure I agree that he was right.  I think most people have not "heard it" because I think most people just aren't paying attention to music the way we aficionados do.  They listen casually to music they come into contact with and they latch onto things they like and they stay in popular comfort zones.  I dont believe most people delve into more complex artforms and seriously explore everything, then reject it.  Same with film.  I don't think most people spend much time exploring deep cinema and then reject it, I think most simply absorb what's easy and don't spend the hours and years it takes to really watch all of the underground stuff enough to form serious opinion on it. 

That said, your reaction to it was right on.  Listen to what you love and don't be concerned what others think about it. 

-------------

Posted By: andreol263
Date Posted: June 13 2016 at 15:16
^This!

-------------

Posted By: Pastmaster
Date Posted: June 13 2016 at 15:21
My parents like some prog, one of my friends (who is actually also on this site) is a big prog fan, and I have a couple other friends who enjoy some prog.

Posted By: TeleStrat
Date Posted: June 13 2016 at 15:38
I don't know anyone who thinks about prog at all.
None of my family listens to or even knows what prog is.
The same goes for the very few acquaintances that I interact with.
Before I retired no one in my office knew what prog was. If you asked them if they liked prog they wouldn't even know that you were talking about music.
Most of my neighbors listen to loud traditional Mexican music except for one older white guy across the street.
When he's sitting on the porch or hanging out in the garage he listens to 70s classic rock.

Posted By: Blinkyjoh
Date Posted: June 13 2016 at 15:47
sadly no one i know really listens to prog. maybe one person. sometimes i feel i'm the only one buying it from amazon.ca.

Posted By: omphaloskepsis
Date Posted: June 13 2016 at 17:37
Outside of death metal prog, RIO, and Math Rock my wife will listen up to 3 hours in a row of progressive music she likes. 

Most my high school friends from the 70's enjoy classic prog like Yes, Floyd, Tull, and many others.  The New stuff?   Not interested.

With the exception of an occasional Dream Theater, Primus, or Tool fan, everybody else could care less.   

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: June 13 2016 at 17:44
What it comes down to is this: no matter how much my friends like Close to the Edge, Thick as a Brick, or The Wall, they still don't like prog.   Most music listeners seem to consume music based on that which is issued, usually by favored artists but not always, rather than staunch allegiance to a genre or style.   Generally people like some but not most prog in the same way they like some but not most jazz or dance or reggae.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Date Posted: June 13 2016 at 20:00
^I tend to find that you could say that about lots of people about just about any genre of music, perhaps especially if they are a fan of someone in that genre.  I've heard people fight over Brittany Spears Vs. Christina Aguilera, for example (quite a few years ago at this point).  To my ear these two are essentially interchangeable, but to a Brittany fan or Christina fan, to equate them is sacrilege.

I'd say I'm the same way about prog.

That's very different from rejecting an entire genre!

A little off topic, but I've also heard people mindlessly repeat "opinions" on certain artists like verbal lemmings.  Sometime in the last five years (really don't clearly remember when anymore), I was at a family friend's house and Lady Gaga happened to show up on the TV in the background.  It was like a fricking bug-zapper.  Suddenly nearly everyone in the house stopped what they were doing, keyed in to the TV, and someone said with an undue amount of vehemence, "She's not even relevant anymore!"  Before the sentence was even over I heard the words, "not relevant" repeated all over the place.  I was too shocked to say anything.  But it instilled in me the very strong impression that people's opinions about music have very little to do with their understanding or appreciation of the music itself.

-------------

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: June 14 2016 at 08:26
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Not sure I agree that he was right.  I think most people have not "heard it" because I think most people just aren't paying attention to music the way we aficionados do.  They listen casually to music they come into contact with and they latch onto things they like and they stay in popular comfort zones.  I dont believe most people delve into more complex artforms and seriously explore everything, then reject it.  Same with film.  I don't think most people spend much time exploring deep cinema and then reject it, I think most simply absorb what's easy and don't spend the hours and years it takes to really watch all of the underground stuff enough to form serious opinion on it. 

That said, your reaction to it was right on.  Listen to what you love and don't be concerned what others think about it. 

well put Jim
He obviously had an agenda and he did represent a segment of the population.  His statement that people have rejected my music does not comment on how much of a chance they gave it.

It reminds me of my college roommate whose LP collection said NOTHING about personal taste, as there was nothing in it that wasn't on the charts, and it was all over the map.  He asked me why he should have to delve into obscure stuff when the radio hand picks the best stuff for him.  Seriously.

But we have to be careful not to institute a prog version of the hit charts.  It should be ok not to like the BIG artists of prog like Floyd, Yes, etc, without being considered daft.  Music, like all art, is very personal, and sometimes a lesser artist speaks to one personally more than a better known one.

Posted By: WeepingElf
Date Posted: June 14 2016 at 08:35
My brother doesn't like prog. To him, Pink Floyd ceased to be a good band when Syd Barrett left. When I told him about my band, he said "But aren't you 40 years behind time?" His wife once spoke of "strainful music" when I listened to a prog piece. On the other hand, my grandmother once said "Beautiful music" while I was listening to Misplaced Childhood. My parents don't care much about rock music. My friends are mostly either into prog or have no opinion on it.

-------------
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

Date Posted: June 14 2016 at 08:55

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

well put Jim
He obviously had an agenda and he did represent a segment of the population.  His statement that people have rejected my music does not comment on how much of a chance they gave it. 

--wonder if he was talking more about the industry.  certainly record people would have been listening to a lot of stuff and rejecting stuff, more than the average Joe on the street. 

It reminds me of my college roommate whose LP collection said NOTHING about personal taste, as there was nothing in it that wasn't on the charts, and it was all over the map.  He asked me why he should have to delve into obscure stuff when the radio hand picks the best stuff for him.  Seriously.

But we have to be careful not to institute a prog version of the hit charts.  It should be ok not to like the BIG artists of prog like Floyd, Yes, etc, without being considered daft.  Music, like all art, is very personal, and sometimes a lesser artist speaks to one personally more than a better known one.

--Right on.  I spend most of my prog time with lesser known artists and have been very fulfilled with the approach. 

-------------

Date Posted: June 14 2016 at 08:59
Originally posted by WeepingElf WeepingElf wrote:

My brother doesn't like prog. To him, Pink Floyd ceased to be a good band when Syd Barrett left. When I told him about my band, he said "But aren't you 40 years behind time?" His wife once spoke of "strainful music" when I listened to a prog piece. On the other hand, my grandmother once said "Beautiful music" while I was listening to Misplaced Childhood. My parents don't care much about rock music. My friends are mostly either into prog or have no opinion on it.

Syd fans ClapLOL    I know how he feels, despite liking post-Syd stuff myself. 

-------------

Posted By: twalsh
Date Posted: June 14 2016 at 15:42

Hi,
Over the years I have had a few boners, but in general, no one has ever really sat down and talked music with me. 

Yep.LOL  For a while, this was so rare for me that it was THAT exciting.  Thankfully, my long term g/f likes some prog and has gone to some concerts with me.  However, she is liking loud music less and less, so I need some more concert mates.  She's a fan of Kate Bush, Peter Gabriel and most of the classic prog bands and associated crossover acts.  Ask her about being stuck viewing a man's exposed crack for the entirety of a Dream Theater show!

I went for dinner at a colleagues a month ago.  She HATES most of the music i listen to and does not understand the appeal of dissonance whatsoever.  Her husband and I had a grand old time however talking about various prog/psych/crossover artists we enjoyed.  We've both renewed out interest in music the last couple years.  We were having so much fun that my colleague felt left out!

Another friend recently discovered Porcupine Tree, but his tastes only overlap mine a little.  We did see King Crimson together last year, which was very cool.

Another friend describes me as having 'obscure' music taste.  As intelligent as she is, she's only into pop and musicals.

My poor father seems to have little interest in music these days, but was the one to introduce me to Pink Floyd, Supertramp, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Jeff Wayne, The Moody Blues and Alan Parsons, among others.

This year, i expect I will have to attend some shows alone to really see what I enjoy.

-------------
More heavy prog, please!

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: June 14 2016 at 15:46
My wife and sons hate it and find plenty of time and cause to remind me of that. Not a lot of associates but for one friend who loves it and turns me on to something substantial now and then.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Date Posted: June 14 2016 at 22:43

well put Jim

Clap  This!  I had a kid living across the hall from me in college who said and did essentially the exact same thing.  Drove me mad.

Agreed that more listening is done in the industry than by casual listeners, but industry people don't have time to give due diligence to every artist either - they're picking and choosing what to give a shot to, as well.  I think it's harder to sell prog as a genre because by definition it's so free of rules (nothing concrete to sell people on - no shared image).  Hmm maybe we should start calling prog the music of freedom.

-------------

Posted By: CPicard
Date Posted: June 15 2016 at 05:58
While being surrounded by musicians (my two brothers, their friends/pals/musicians, and some people I know), progressive rock is NOT the subject I would dare to discuss with them.
On the other hand, I'm not even sure I could discuss jazz or metal with them, so prog-rock... Ermm

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: June 23 2016 at 09:40
Every time the new issue of Prog magazine shows up here at the office I have at least one co-worker ask me "what is Prog?' So there's that.

Posted By: secret84truths
Date Posted: June 23 2016 at 11:03
It depends on the type of progressive rock that they listen: they mostly think that prog is boring, without a point, a pointless sequence of riffs and solos. Maybe it is possible to let people "taste" progressive rock with the help of sweet and melodic songs, the shorter the better, or listening prog music near to heavy metal (I think that the majority of casual prog listeners are more accostumed to this kind of music).

Posted By: Modrigue
Date Posted: June 23 2016 at 11:50
One of my friend thought "prog rock" meant "programmed rock" Big smile

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqf2srRfppHAslEmHBn8QP6d_eoanh0eW" rel="nofollow - My compositions

Date Posted: June 23 2016 at 16:01
I still have people ask me what prog rock means when I mention it......I tell them progressive rock and then they ask me again.

LOL

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: Scorpius
Date Posted: June 23 2016 at 18:10
Most of my friends think i'm crazy and they always ask me how i have the patience to listen to 20-40 minute songs. My dad likes prog. but not as much as I do.  

Posted By: Hrychu
Date Posted: June 23 2016 at 18:38
Most of my friends either have no idea what prog is... or they just don't like it. Or better yet... whenever I bring up bands such as Atmosphera, Ache or Tai Phong, they're like... "????????????"

Posted By: CPicard
Date Posted: June 24 2016 at 05:28
^Well, these three bands are rather obscure, don't you think?

Posted By: Hrychu
Date Posted: June 24 2016 at 10:27
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

^Well, these three bands are rather obscure, don't you think?
True... I think I might be one of those who like very specific stuff, that's not present in what most people, evern prog listeners, know... which might make me an ever bigger nerd.

Date Posted: June 24 2016 at 12:31
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

Most of my friends either have no idea what prog is... or they just don't like it. Or better yet... whenever I bring up bands such as Atmosphera, Ache or Tai Phong, they're like... "????????????"

Hell.....most of the people I know never heard of King Crimson.

LOL

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: TheLionOfPrague
Date Posted: June 24 2016 at 13:33
Most of my friends don't even know what prog is. If I play something they think it's weird, but they also think The Beatles, Stones, Queen and Zeppelin are "weird". Even if they're bigger than anything they listen to. There are two friends of mine that are mainly metalheads that like a few prog bands though.

-------------
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: June 24 2016 at 15:38
I mentioned to a guy not too long ago that I hang out at House Of Prog and he thought Prog was Prague. heheheh

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: comascape
Date Posted: July 14 2016 at 13:53
My daughter (11) seems to enjoy quite a bit of it. I will catch her humming along to Yes or Uriah Heep. My wife says that it gives her a headache because she has to think too much while listening to it. I told her that was what I liked about it specifically. She does like some, though. She will listen to Tool and Ian Anderson. I took her to a Jethro Tull concert when we first started dating and she has loved Ian ever since. We both agree it was "the best concert ever". My dad brought me up on it, but he doesn't listen to it too much any more.

-------------
"You have to systematically create confusion, it sets creativity free. Everything that is contradictory creates life."
-Salvador Dali

Posted By: Mellowtron
Date Posted: July 16 2016 at 22:58
My Dad listened to a lot of PG-era/ early Collins era Genesis and Peter Gabriel's solo stuff, as well as some Rush, Zappa and Steve Hackett. So he's big fan of that music as are his brothers (and my uncles).My Mom and siblings aren't really into it, although my brother is really into Pink Floyd, Blind Guardian and Iced Earth. 

As for the guys in my band, the baritone guitarist is a big fan of the classic prog groups, as well as newer stuff like Leprous, Haken, and Frost*. The other two band members are more into jazz, but they liked the YouTube links of Crimson's Lark's Tongue in Aspic and In the Court of the Crimson King I sent them a while back. One of them even listened to Supper's Ready!

Unfortunately, trying to show other people this music is rather difficult. The last couple times I tried to play King Crimson's first album to a couple of ladies, they got completely freaked out by the cover art....LOL

Date Posted: July 16 2016 at 23:10
And to make matters worse, not a lot of people know about prog, especially since it's more of an underground scene nowadays. The almost universal response to when I mention that I like prog is "Oh, so you like Dream Theater?" Not that there's anything wrong with Dream Theater, but there's more than just Dream Theater in the prog scene. 

And if they don't know about prog, people usually get disinterested when I play them some prog. Maybe it's just not the same as the current pop stuff they're accustomed to that ends up turning them off. Heck, I don't know. Yes, prog can be outside the box of dance rhythms and 4 chord progressions, but that doesn't make it bad.

Date Posted: July 16 2016 at 23:44
Originally posted by Mellowtron Mellowtron wrote:

Unfortunately, trying to show other people this music is rather difficult. The last couple times I tried to play King Crimson's first album to a couple of ladies, they got completely freaked out by the cover art....LOL

I don't blame them, maybe you should have just played the music and not shown them the cover. I find that album cover to be pretty revolting myself. Tongue

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: July 17 2016 at 06:16
my coworkers love it. I am always chosen to provide music at work. Mainly because I choose the good stuff, not the popular stuff LOL

Do they know it is ..prog.. probably not. They are for the most part a younger group for who tags and labels don't really mean sh*t. All they care about is whether it is good music or not. Probably another reason why I am always chosen to provide the music for our work days... one moment it is ADII, next one it is Dionne Warwick, the next is likely Battiato.  I could care less about 'prog'... I just love good music myself.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: July 17 2016 at 10:21
Most hate it, but if people ask what I'm listening to and whats with all the festivals I'm happy to tell them and give them samples of the stuff I like. Often there is dislike and bewilderment but occasionally I get a good reaction and people ask what else to check out. 

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: July 17 2016 at 10:29
Most of the people I know don't think of prog.
They may like some prog but don't even realize it...

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Date Posted: July 24 2016 at 22:14
Originally posted by Pastmaster Pastmaster wrote:

Originally posted by Mellowtron Mellowtron wrote:

I don't blame them, maybe you should have just played the music and not shown them the cover. I find that album cover to be pretty revolting myself. Tongue

Yeah that cover was definitely a product of its time during the psychedelic era. I have no idea why Crimson went with that cover. Then again, Crimson's always seemed to focus more on the music than visuals.

Posted By: tamijo
Date Posted: July 25 2016 at 03:56
Prog is so much very diffrent music, making the question impossiable to answer.
But in general most of people dont dislike melodic music with a vocals, prog or not prog.
10+ minutes instrumentals don't go down very well in most party's, dosent matter if it is Jazz, Classic, Prog or Heavy.   

-------------
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: July 25 2016 at 10:26
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

Wherever I go, I try to interest people around me in the music of my favourite band, Triumvirat, but mostly, to no avail.
        At work I get funny looks kind of like "TriumvirWHAT?" Actually, they kid me a lot, with my obsession with the band. But in terms of actually listening to them or other prog? Most of them couldn't be bothered.
              My sisters don't take an interest; they are pretty mainstream in their music taste.
               Luckily, my best friend likes prog, and will listen to it with me. Not all is accessible to him, but he does like Triumvirat and Le Orme, for example.
                I have another friend who likes progressive music, but we don't listen to it together; he is too busy watching science fiction movies, series, etc. which is ok in itself, but limiting in terms of prog appreciation.
                      My late father, who was from the generation that grew up on 1940s jazz, actually could get something out of progressive rock; my mother never heard it.
Today, at the gym, the recreation person didn't like the ACDC playing on the radio, and asked if she could change the station, and I ventured

"Only if you play Triumvirat"

Incredulous stare, and replied "What???"

"Triumvirat"

Then there was no response from her, and she put a mainstream pop station on, and that was the end of that.

TypicalLOL (not that Triumvirat would be on the radio, but you get my drift.)

Posted By: zravkapt
Date Posted: July 25 2016 at 10:38
^You would get the same response from your average King Crimson fan.

-------------
Magma America Great Make Again

Posted By: Terrapin Station
Date Posted: July 25 2016 at 14:27
In a nutshell, and focusing on non-musician friends:

* Plenty of them like various prog/prog-related artists.
* They tend to like stuff that has more of a connection with "traditional" pop songwriting skills (which I have a major fondness for, too)
* They tend to dislike stuff with "goofy vocals"
* The more avant-garde something becomes, the less they tend to like it.

However, since I'm a musician and I've been involved in a lot of prog, a lot of fusion, and a fair amount of more avant garde-leaning stuff (outside of prog/fusion. too), most family members and friends have attempted to appreciate my professional work for what it is.

On the other hand, probably only one family member, a brother-in-law, would list prog/prog-related arists among his favorites.  His top ten would likely be: Moody Blues, Alan Parsons Project, Steely Dan, Pink Floyd, ELO, Ambrosia, Supertramp, Doobie Brothers, Kansas, Styx . . . all of whom I like a lot, too. (Yes, he was in his teens and early 20s during the 70s--he's just a few years older than me.)

My wife would list some prog/prog-related artists among her favorites now, too, probably--especially Todd Rundgren (my #3 artist) and Yes (my #4 artist), though when I met her, she really hadn't heard much progressive rock at all.  She does enjoy other prog artists who are favorites of mine, and some of her other favorites are non-prog artists that I turned her onto, but I don't think she'd list any other prog(gy) artists as her own favorites aside from Rundgren and Yes.

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: July 28 2016 at 15:34
The last time I spoke to Neil Young he thought it was played out. David Crosby said never heard the term before. I'm not kidding. Prog is very misunderstood, even by old timers in rock.

Date Posted: July 29 2016 at 08:40
I was visiting some friends this past weekend who are at university right now and I got invited over to what was essentially a sorority house. Unfortunately for the girls there, I was tasked with picking music for the evening. I started out just putting on hard rock and classic rock, which I figured would be "neutral" enough for their tastes (they were all modern mainstream pop fans). After a while I decided to slip on The Yes Album just to see how they'd react. To my surprise, they seemed to enjoy it quite a bit, even bobbing their heads along, humming along, etc. at times. 

Then I decided to step it up a little, and went for Khan's Space Shanty. Strangely enough, still no protest. Then Gentle Giant's Acquiring The Taste. "This is pretty good!". CHRIST PEOPLE EVEN I HATED THIS THE FIRST TIME I HEARD IT. So I took it another step further and put on Herbie Hancock's Sextant. After they still seemed to be more or less enjoying it, I was tempted to put on Larks' Tongues In Aspic, but then we went home for the night. 

So apparently prog isn't as inaccessible as its made out to be. At least, as long as you make sure not to hype it up excessively and say that "prog is the only true music" or some such thing before you put it on, I've noticed that most people tend to enjoy it.

-------------
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents

Posted By: WeepingElf
Date Posted: July 29 2016 at 09:28
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

So apparently prog isn't as inaccessible as its made out to be. At least, as long as you make sure not to hype it up excessively and say that "prog is the only true music" or some such thing before you put it on, I've noticed that most people tend to enjoy it.

This is also what I am thinking. Most people aren't into prog just because they have never heard of it, and many would appreciate it if they just knew that it exists. Of course, there are those stupid anti-rock prejudices so common among classical, avant-garde and jazz listeners (as well as among some listeners of electronic music or hip-hop) of that keep them from trying it out in the first place. Also, there are those rock journalists who either ignore it completely, or claim that it "had run its course" or was an "abomination mercifully ended by punk". But I feel that more people would be ready to listen to prog if they had an idea.

-------------
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

Date Posted: July 29 2016 at 10:51

That's why the label "Prog" really doesn't mean anything outside of literal definition, good music is good music. If one enjoys classic rock I would find it hard to believe that they would not enjoy the classic prog bands. I think the stigma was just created by prog snobs, because at the end of the day it's just rock/hard rock. 

Posted By: aglasshouse
Date Posted: July 29 2016 at 14:41
I know very few people who have tastes similar to me, and usually a showcase of my musical tastes garners some raised eyebrows.

-------------
http://fryingpanmedia.com

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: July 29 2016 at 15:14

I was visiting some friends this past weekend who are at university right now and I got invited over to what was essentially a sorority house. Unfortunately for the girls there, I was tasked with picking music for the evening. I started out just putting on hard rock and classic rock, which I figured would be "neutral" enough for their tastes (they were all modern mainstream pop fans). After a while I decided to slip on The Yes Album just to see how they'd react. To my surprise, they seemed to enjoy it quite a bit, even bobbing their heads along, humming along, etc. at times. 

Then I decided to step it up a little, and went for Khan's Space Shanty. Strangely enough, still no protest. Then Gentle Giant's Acquiring The Taste. "This is pretty good!". CHRIST PEOPLE EVEN I HATED THIS THE FIRST TIME I HEARD IT. So I took it another step further and put on Herbie Hancock's Sextant. After they still seemed to be more or less enjoying it, I was tempted to put on Larks' Tongues In Aspic, but then we went home for the night. 

nice... Clap

I made the point earlier in this thread.. others have in others... young people for the most part don't care if it is prog or not.. they just like good music. I have my own expriences with younger kids and music a lot less mainstream than your selections and they loved it. Granted they were generally men... not being lucky enough to be the fox (fortunately perhaps) set loose in a sorority henhouse LOL

It is the older folks most apt to care. Classfying it, promoting it or comparing it to other obsolescent ( in a young person's mind)  genres of music.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Kespuzzuo
Date Posted: September 13 2016 at 15:55
Well, here's my story.
My father listens to 70s hard rock, disco, funk, new wave, etc. his favourite band is ELO, he used to listen to classical music during his time at university. My mother listens to top 40 music. I was in a waiting room, the radio was on a 80s music station, and the radio announcer said "now let's play Invisible Touch by Phil Collins", and i liked that song because it was catchy. I shazamed that song and my phone said it was a Genesis song. So I searched through Google and I found out that Phil Collins had a band. I listened to the Invisible touch album and i loved it. I thought that Genesis was a pop group. I wanted more Genesis. I clicked on a Peter Gabriel-era Genesis album video and it felt a bit boring. Months after that, i decided to buy Foxtrot (because people on the internet were claiming that Genesis was better during the 70s), I listened to the whole album and i loved it even more than Invisible Touch. I discovered that Genesis was more epic during the 70s than then 80s.

So in a trip I decided to put SEBTP, but my mother got bored and thought it was slow and boring. I had to change the album to music she likes. My father is OK with me listening to prog.
And when I decided to make my own prog album (sorry for self-promoting), both my father and mother listened to it. My mother said it was nice and futuristic, she liked it even if it was a 40-minute long song. My father liked it too. Maybe they liked it because I'm their son, parents are usually yessayers towards their sons.

My ex-english teacher from school loves prog. One day we decided to give alternative interpretations to songs. I picked a Mars Volta song, he asked me the name of the band. He listens to his favourite music on classes, I remember he listened to Kashmir by Led Zeppelin, Megadeth and Dream Theater. He's kinda into prog, he's around the prog spectre.

Some of my cousins listen to prog, they are excellent guitar players. They went to my birthday party and named bands such as Gojira, Animals as leaders, Opeth, ect.

Date Posted: September 13 2016 at 21:18
Originally posted by Kespuzzuo Kespuzzuo wrote:

My ex-english teacher from school loves prog. One day we decided to give alternative interpretations to songs. I picked a Mars Volta song, he asked me the name of the band. He listens to his favourite music on classes, I remember he listened to Kashmir by Led Zeppelin, Megadeth and Dream Theater. He's kinda into prog, he's around the prog spectre.

English teachers seem to be disproportionately prog-minded. Same with physics teachers. Matter of fact, back in high school, my physics teacher, my French teacher and I had a game that we had going where we'd name a lyric from a prog song and everyone else would have to guess the song. (eg. "Spoonful of miracle" -> Supper's Ready, "dirty holes" -> Yours Is No Disgrace, etc.). I'd say that more than half of my last semester of grade 12 was exclusively prog talk. During lectures, during labs, at lunch, you name it. I'm pretty sure that they walked in on each other's classes taking tests just to say something like "seasoned witch" (Close To The Edge, obviously). 

Yeah, grade 12 physics was the highlight of all of high school. If it was an early morning class and we walked in groggily and yawning, Mr. E would put on this baby to wake us up:

Never failed to get us guys going, but I don't think the two girls in our class were quite as keen on the genre.  LOL

About halfway through the semester we ended up compiling a list of all the essential prog listening we had to complete by the end of the year. I think we ended up playing through all of Yes from The Yes Album through to Relayer (plus selections from Drama, Talk and The Ladder), all of Genesis from Trespass to The Lamb, some select King Crimson essentials (Schizoid Man, Lizard, Larks' Tongues Pts. 1 & 2, Starless), Cygnus X-1 & La Villa Strangiato, Echoes, the first UK album, a bit of Marillion here and there, plus whatever obscure Argentinian or Italian album I dredged up that week. Looking back, we accomplished quite a lot in that course. Oh yeah, and then we learned some physics on the side. Tongue

-------------

Posted By: The misanthrope
Date Posted: September 14 2016 at 08:19
I had one friend in school who liked it, and his father introduced me to prog. most people dislike it. they do not have the attention span to listen to a song over three minutes long. I hear a lot of the usual nonsense that the music is pretentious, or too weird.    

Posted By: Terrapin Station
Date Posted: September 16 2016 at 06:14
I don't recall any English teachers who were huge prog fans, but on the other hand, I don't know if I ever knew any English teacher's musical tastes in any detail.  I did have a high school English teacher who was a HUGE Monty Python fan--and he was also from England (this was during the later 70s . . . he had just moved to the US a few years earlier).  He was also a SciFi fan--especially re novels and short stories, so I'd be surprised if he didn't like prog a bit, though I just can't recall talking about his musical tastes . . . which is a bit weird, since it was well-known in high school that I was a musician, and I talked to him a lot after class.  I just can't recall anything he would have said about his musical tastes, though.

I also had a high school visual art teacher who was a huge pot/acid-head.  He kept a file cabinet full of High Times magazines in his classroom.  He was one of the best teachers I ever had, actually, as he'd talk about general wisdom--where it really was wisdom--gained in his life, about all sorts of topics, as much as he'd talk about art (and actually, the Monty Python fan English teacher was a lot like that, too, and was also one of the best teachers I ever had).  With art, he was really skilled with kind of a psychedelic surrealism (unsurprisingly enough), and he encouraged creativity/experimentalism.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk