Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=106977
Printed Date: May 07 2024 at 03:48
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The Moody Blues vs. Procol Harum
Posted By: A_Flower
Subject: The Moody Blues vs. Procol Harum
Date Posted: June 11 2016 at 00:46
No neither or both allowed. You must choose one. I choose Procol Harum.

-------------
User Banned for this Post

Replies:
Posted By: ALotOfBottle
Date Posted: June 11 2016 at 01:01
Difficult question. Procol Harum's "In Held 'Twas In I" is what I consider to be the first prog rock suite, a great, great piece. On the other hand, The Moodies have created so much good material that I'll have to go with them. Both are really great, though!

-------------
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.

Posted By: LearsFool
Date Posted: June 11 2016 at 01:26
Moodies

-------------

Posted By: Michael P. Dawson
Date Posted: June 11 2016 at 01:27
Procol by a mile. Love the Moodies' classic stuff, especially the magnificent In Search of the Lost Chord, but Procol has always been one of my favorite bands.

-------------
Buy this thing!
https://store.cdbaby.com/Artist/MichaelPDawson" rel="nofollow - https://store.cdbaby.com/Artist/MichaelPDawson

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: June 11 2016 at 02:45
Oooh, for me The Moodies. Loved them since my teen-years. NOTHING will change that. PROCOL, I tried to get into for years - I have a couple which are good, but don't move me as much as The Moodies. Sooooo.....
The Moodies were early, like PROCOL, but way advanced in their approach and ideals, with incredible production - when I spin a Moodies album, their sound (let alone, ideals) are way ahead of their time. Seriously, they are superb musicians, and definitely showed it off.

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: June 11 2016 at 04:05
Procol Harum

Posted By: AZF
Date Posted: June 11 2016 at 04:23
Voted Procal as although the band were probably in a similar RnB band as The Moodies.
Procal lived and disbanded the first wave if Prog, with the intention of making Prog, as opposed to the Moody Blues who drifted into but then perfected their take on Prog.

Posted By: SquonkHunter
Date Posted: June 11 2016 at 04:59
Moody Blues for me. They were my gateway into Prog. All others came after them.

-------------
"You never had the things you thought you should have had and you'll not get them now..."

Posted By: progmatic
Date Posted: June 11 2016 at 08:04
Timothy Leary's dead

-------------
PROGMATIC

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: June 11 2016 at 08:31
Moodies----I love some of Procol Harum but lot's of it I find a little boring.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: June 11 2016 at 09:02
Tough choice......love them both.....but going with The Moodies ,... their first 4 themed albums are simply essential regarding early prog .

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: June 11 2016 at 12:29
Moodies by far. Not many groups can beat the quality of the Moodies 67-72 studio albums.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: June 11 2016 at 13:53
Weird. I was just listening to Procol this morning, and I was thinking about how they became very uneven after A Salty Dog. I rarely listen to anything of theirs after that (except the exceptional Live with the Edmonton Orchestra release from '72).

The Moodies, however, were much more consistent over the same span, and even made some pleasant albums after they reformed in the late 70s. The Moodies greatest albums trump those of Procol, in my un-humble estimation.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: TheLionOfPrague
Date Posted: June 11 2016 at 14:11
Moodies from DOFP to Seventh Sojourn are one of my favorite bands ever. Coincidentally those two are the albums I like the most. 

-------------
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: June 11 2016 at 17:54
Easily, TMB

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: June 11 2016 at 18:05
Procol Harum.

I find the Moodies a bit .........safe.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: June 11 2016 at 21:21
Yes, of course, I love cake. Just ate 2 slices after dinner today.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: June 12 2016 at 05:09
Two bands I like a lot, but I have to go with The Moody Blues, though Procol Harum is not far behind.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: June 12 2016 at 06:26

I like Procol Harum just a little bit more.

-------------

Posted By: snowsnow
Date Posted: June 12 2016 at 16:11
Moodies by far.

DOFP and TOCCC are 2 essential prog albums. The first one to me is one of the first genuine progressive rock albums despite a number of people siting King Crimson's debut as having that honour.

Posted By: akaBona
Date Posted: June 12 2016 at 16:54
Procol Harum

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: June 12 2016 at 22:20
Moody Blues by a fair bit.  I put the first Procol on a similar level to DOFP, but after that there is no contest

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: June 15 2016 at 10:06
What a blend of good stuff the Procols were. And that singer. The Moodies went soft after awhile, and can be expected to appear on NBC's Today show as part of their "Summer Concert Series" from time to time.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: Michael P. Dawson
Date Posted: June 15 2016 at 12:26
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

What a blend of good stuff the Procols were. And that singer.

Indeed. Gary Brooker is just unbeatable (and last I heard could still belt it out like he did when he was a young man); Robin Trower is absolutely one of the guitar GODS, and his replacements--notably the magnificent Mick Grabham and Geoff Whitehorn--were certainly no slouches; and secret weapon Barrie Wilson, may he rest in peace, was one of the most underrated drummers in rock. And the whole Procol concept of somehow teetering on the edge between sepulchral gloom and music hall bawdiness is a unique and joyful thing.

-------------
Buy this thing!
https://store.cdbaby.com/Artist/MichaelPDawson" rel="nofollow - https://store.cdbaby.com/Artist/MichaelPDawson

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: June 16 2016 at 23:37
Procul Harum

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Posted By: Boojieboy
Date Posted: July 02 2017 at 11:08
As much as I like Procol Harum - and have all of their albums - they simply were/are nowhere near what the Moody Blues were doing. Even just looking at that classic of prog. instruments - the Mellotron - PH only used it sparingly (maybe only 5 songs). The Moodies used it a ton, and Mike Pinder is probably the God of the Mellotron. Fripp and company wouldn't have been influenced by PH, but he/they definitely were by the Moodies.

You could probably only compile one album of true prog. from PH, but many of the early Moodies albums were heavy into prog.

Both are great groups and deserve to be celebrated, but this is an easy poll.

Posted By: Dopeydoc
Date Posted: July 02 2017 at 13:46
Moody Blues

Posted By: The.Crimson.King
Date Posted: July 02 2017 at 14:33
Procol by a wide margin. 

Both bands presented unique approaches at a time when rock was just getting experimentally interesting...Moodies: tron, orchestra, acoustic guitar, Procol: piano + organ.  Procol had secret weapon Keith Reid and I find them lyrically much more interesting than the Moodies.  Plus Gary Brooker has one of the great rock voices of all time and the albums with Trower were brilliant...even the post Trower albums were great but more rock than prog.  I could cherry pick a single "best of" album for the Moodies and it would be great, but I find very few Procol songs I'd leave off and their "best of" would take a box set Wink

-------------
https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown" rel="nofollow - Mutiny in Jonestown : Progressive Rock Since 1987

Posted By: Cosmiclawnmower
Date Posted: July 02 2017 at 14:55
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Procol by a wide margin. 

Both bands presented unique approaches at a time when rock was just getting experimentally interesting...Moodies: tron, orchestra, acoustic guitar, Procol: piano + organ.  Procol had secret weapon Keith Reid and I find them lyrically much more interesting than the Moodies.  Plus Gary Brooker has one of the great rock voices of all time and the albums with Trower were brilliant...even the post Trower albums were great but more rock than prog.  I could cherry pick a single "best of" album for the Moodies and it would be great, but I find very few Procol songs I'd leave off and their "best of" would take a box set Wink

I agree wholeheartedly with the above but when it comes to choosing between the two bands it is difficult for me. I will, for very personal reasons, pick the moodies by a whisker though I'm very fond of PH too

-------------

Posted By: Scorpius
Date Posted: July 02 2017 at 23:04
I was named after Justin Hayward. Sorry procol harum.

-------------
The most dangerous man in America.

Posted By: Thatfabulousalien
Date Posted: July 02 2017 at 23:30
Procol Harum, no competition! 

-------------
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: July 03 2017 at 03:50
Procol Harum made some great music, but I've got to go with the Moodies. They have a an album in my top ten prog albums of all time (TOCCC) Procul don't.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: maryes
Date Posted: July 04 2017 at 18:04
The Moody Blues

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: July 04 2017 at 18:09
I have never heard every or even most Procol Harum albums but I believe I have heard enough to make a judgement here. Big Moodies fan, however, so there you go. 

Posted By: mlkpad14
Date Posted: July 05 2017 at 06:53
I voted for the Moody Blues, but it's quite a close call.

-------------
https://gamecrazyprofessional.weebly.com/

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: May 13 2018 at 05:39
Procol Harum

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: May 13 2018 at 07:12
Procol.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com