Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=107067
Printed Date: March 28 2024 at 12:19
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Supper's Ready Sections
Posted By: Magnum Vaeltaja
Subject: Supper's Ready Sections
Date Posted: June 21 2016 at 15:49
Don't just vote for your favourite; which of the seven sections of Supper's Ready do you think is most effective when listened to in isolation?

-------------
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents

Replies:
Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: June 21 2016 at 16:03
Obviously the Apocalypse In 9/8 is the favourite, but voted How Dare I Be So Beautiful ? It stands on its own - a very tranquil piece.

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: June 21 2016 at 16:11
9/8 for The Apocalypse

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Date Posted: June 21 2016 at 16:22
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Obviously the Apocalypse In 9/8 is the favourite, but voted How Dare I Be So Beautiful ? It stands on its own - a very tranquil piece.

I agree; I could easily see this section as possibly having replaced "For Absent Friends" or "Harlequin" off of Nursery Cryme.

-------------
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: June 21 2016 at 17:16
Apocalypse in 9/8 is my favourite section, but Willow Farm stands stronger as a standalone, methinks.

-------------

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: June 21 2016 at 18:21
Apocalypse followed by Willow Farm.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: June 21 2016 at 22:08
Even if this song is usually considered as several songs put together, they work together so well that I can't really imagine them as isolated sections and enjoying them, or not feeling like I need to hear the rest. However, even if it's not my favourite part of the song (really, I don't know if I could pick a favourite part of this song, actually), I believe the one that works best alone would be Willow's Farm.

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: June 21 2016 at 22:18
Apocalypse for me too.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: DeadSouls
Date Posted: June 21 2016 at 22:22
Originally posted by Wanorak Wanorak wrote:

Apocalypse followed by Willow Farm.

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: June 21 2016 at 23:04
I love Apocalypse---but the finale is one of the best and moving in prog.

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: June 22 2016 at 00:23
Sanctuary Man

-------------

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: June 22 2016 at 05:33
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Apocalypse in 9/8 is my favourite section, but Willow Farm stands stronger as a standalone, methinks.

Agreed.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Michael678
Date Posted: June 22 2016 at 06:06
sections 5-7 are just GOAT (greatest of all time) for me, although I have to go with the Apocalypse in 9/8 just for the organ solo alone.

-------------
Progrockdude

Posted By: TheLionOfPrague
Date Posted: June 22 2016 at 09:04
I love Willow Farm.

-------------
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place

Posted By: TerLJack
Date Posted: June 22 2016 at 10:36
Willow Farm for me.  As a novice celebrity impressionist, I marveled at the theatricality and changes in voice of Gabriel for years and attempted to copy it.

Posted By: Libor10
Date Posted: June 22 2016 at 19:51
Apocalypse in 9/8 hands down...

-------------

Posted By: pianoman
Date Posted: June 22 2016 at 21:47
As Sure As Eggs is Eggs. The vocal performance is FEARLESS. And some of the most emotionally moving lyrics, especially as they are the final words of the song. Honestly, I would have voted for the Apocalypse, but I feel like the last section needed some love.

Speaking of the Apocalypse, when the Mellotron drops at 19:27, I loose my sh*t every time.

Posted By: pianoman
Date Posted: June 22 2016 at 21:53
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Even if this song is usually considered as several songs put together, they work together so well that I can't really imagine them as isolated sections and enjoying them, or not feeling like I need to hear the rest. However, even if it's not my favourite part of the song (really, I don't know if I could pick a favourite part of this song, actually), I believe the one that works best alone would be Willow's Farm.

Also, I have to agree here. Splitting Suppers Ready up is kinda unfair to the overall whole. The band ties together musical motifs across the many sections of the song almost flawlessly. For example, The Guaranteed Eternal Sanctuary Man, and As Sure As Eggs is Eggs is the exact same chord progression and melody. The only difference is the rhythm in the drums, the vocals, and the intensity of the performance.

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: June 23 2016 at 05:17
I don't get the love for Apocalypse - I like the rhythm but it's just a few minutes of noodling around on a keyboard. That's the bit I'd skip if I could. It's the ending for me, just brilliant.

Date Posted: June 23 2016 at 09:37
So far I've narrowed down my choice to one of four sections. The best section on its own can't be Lover's Leap, Sanctuary Man or Eggs is Eggs; the first two are only there to introduce the melodies that will be used later in the song and the ending only works because of what came before it. So that means that the best section on its own has to be one of Ikhnaton, How Dare I Be So Beautiful, Willow Farm or the Apocalypse. Fortunately a kind youtuber has posted each of the sections individually, so I took the time to listen through them one by one in various orders. And after that, I determined that the best section on its own is:

Ikhnaton and Itsacon and Their Band of Merry Men

Willow Farm was a tad annoying. The Apocalypse in 9/8 starts out very well with no prior context, but it seems very lacking at the end when it doesn't transition into Eggs is Eggs. How Dare I Be So Beautiful seems like it would work fine on its own if placed between two more dynamic songs (like Musical Box and Return of the Giant Hogweed, or Dancing With The Moonlit Knight and Firth of Fifth), but doesn't do very much independently. 

-------------

Posted By: CosmicVibration
Date Posted: June 23 2016 at 12:45

The ending does it for me…  The music, the lyrics and overall tone is simply divine.

When I first listened to Supper’s Ready many moons ago the last section was awe-inspiring.  When Gabriel belted out “Jerusalem” it literally sent shivers up my spine.

Posted By: Hrychu
Date Posted: June 23 2016 at 18:21
The final part. Those highly strained vocals get my vote.

Posted By: LakeGlade12
Date Posted: June 25 2016 at 14:11
The favourite section from my favourite song of all time? That's like asking which of your children is your favourite lol.

I have to go for the last part though which is the greatest piece of music I ever heard, and I seriously doubt it will ever be surpassed. It also is the best part of the song to be played individually, as it wipes the floor on virtually every modern formulaic, cliche-ridden Christian worship song. As a Christian I get 1000X more out of those few minutes than anything modern I hear these days. I could rant on for pages on this subject but I will restrain myself...        

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: June 25 2016 at 15:19
As Sure As Eggs is Eggs. It is both a recapitulation and a stunning finale. I do prefer the version sung by Phil Collins on Seconds Out. He doesn't strain on the high notes like Gabriel did in the studio version.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: June 25 2016 at 17:58
Always have been drawn to Willow Farm for its whimsical flight of fancy. Things are a tad slow going through much that precedes it. Funny, uplifting - what more could one ask for in revving up the proceedings a notch or two. A key point in the recording, I dare say.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: snowsnow
Date Posted: June 26 2016 at 16:33
"Walking across the sitting-room.."

A simple but magic opening - great imagery. I love the ending to SR - but Lover's Leap starts the story off superbly...

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk