Print Page | Close Window

Favorite Obscure Prog Band?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=107101
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 00:43
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Favorite Obscure Prog Band?
Posted By: Scorpius
Subject: Favorite Obscure Prog Band?
Date Posted: June 25 2016 at 19:09
What is your favorite obscure prog band?
For me, its the German prog band "Eloy". They have released several amazing albums, such as "Oceans", "Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes", and "Dawn". Some of my other favorites would include Gentle Giant and Camel, both of which have had some amazing stuff released.

Replies:
Posted By: Magnum Vaeltaja
Date Posted: June 25 2016 at 19:18
Hmm, not sure I'd really call Eloy "obscure"; they have quite a large following on this site. But then again, that is just on this site! LOL

I'd say that my favourite obscure band would be Rayuela, a folk/fusion outfit from Argentina that released one album in the late 70's. The album isn't groundbreaking at all, but it's very competently-performed, the solos are soulful but intelligent, and they know how to do romance in prog like no one else. Overall I'd say that "Rayuela" is one of my top 10 albums, if not top 5. 

Some other less famous bands that I really love, but may not necessarily be considered obscure on this site, are Bubu, Maneige, Quella Vecchia Locanda, Finch, Amenophis, Syrinx, and Arco Iris.

-------------
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: June 25 2016 at 19:21
Whooh, that is a tough one, inn'it.   Morgan (UK), Cartoon (US), Yezda Urfa (US) Finch (NL) to name a few.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: andreol263
Date Posted: June 25 2016 at 19:38
For would be: Arco Iris(Argentina),  Marco Antonio Araujo(Brazil), The Winstons(Italy), AG A.M(Germany), and many others...

-------------

Posted By: ClemofNazareth
Date Posted: June 25 2016 at 20:26
None of them are around anymore but these are some great bands that are kind of obscure:

Carol of Harvest - one beautiful psych/folk album that missed its era by about five years.

Cerberus Shoal - several outstanding Avant records. Also some duds but you take the good with the bad when it comes to Avant.

Faun Fables - husband & wife wyrd folk, they're busy raising a bunch of kids these days.

Justine - one really original and engaging folk revival album laced with psych and a little pop, then obscurity and some tragedy.

Sad Minstral - a thoroughly likeable and engaging Italian guy that for some reason only managed one record, but one that has no bad songs at all.

-------------
"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus

Posted By: ALotOfBottle
Date Posted: June 26 2016 at 02:36
Originally posted by ClemofNazareth ClemofNazareth wrote:

Faun Fables - husband & wife wyrd folk, they're busy raising a bunch of kids these days.

I've seen them live last summer - they were really good! I also got to talk to them for a few minutes, they were such nice people!

Comus (although it gets a lot of love recently, it has become fashionable to listen to Comus)
East Of Eden (their work Snafu is probably one of my Top 5 albums)
Mighty Baby
Pazop
T2
Tortilla Flat
Beggar's Opera
Broselmaschine

-------------
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.

Posted By: BaldFriede
Date Posted: June 26 2016 at 02:51
The Red Masque

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: June 26 2016 at 08:33
Though they were not accepted as prog by PA, I would say my favourite obscure prog band is 

Giger Lenz Marron

-consisting of former Dzyan members Peter Giger on drums and percussion and guitarist Eddy Marron, with jazz bassist Gunter Lenz. They are really something, some fusion beyond the ordinary!

Posted By: Hrychu
Date Posted: June 26 2016 at 09:38
Obscure? Tai Phong of course.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: June 26 2016 at 14:08
Don't think I have a single favorite obscure band.....but I really enjoy the early 70's  Brit proto/prog and prog bands like.....Spring , Fantasy, Beggars Opera, Web, Cressida, Titus Groan, Ton Ton Macoute, .....if anyone has any names of obscure ones from that genre please list them....I'm always looking for any I might have  missed.

Smile

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: HosiannaMantra
Date Posted: June 26 2016 at 14:15
Samurai, East of Eden, Triade, Sfinx, Beggars Opera, Eiliff, Ragnarök, Kebnekajse, Fläsket Brinner, MIA, Crucis, Piirpauke, In Spe, Jukka Tolonen

Posted By: LearsFool
Date Posted: June 26 2016 at 15:23
Just off the top of my head:

Clouds
Aksak Maboul
Etron Fou Leloublan
Los Jaivas
Bark Psychosis
Dreadnaught
Las Orejas Y La Lengua
Nimh

-------------

Posted By: A_Flower
Date Posted: June 26 2016 at 17:31
Split Enz

-------------
User Banned for this Post

Date Posted: June 26 2016 at 17:51
the Beggars are making quite a few lists, almost put them myself -

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: June 26 2016 at 19:33
Pink Floyd. I wish more people knew about this totally cool band. They deserved more than they got

Date Posted: June 26 2016 at 20:23
^ Hey if Floyd can have money problems anyone can -

-------------

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: June 26 2016 at 21:19
Ritual.

Go buy The Hemulic Voluntary Band.

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Posted By: BaldFriede
Date Posted: June 27 2016 at 03:14
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Don't think I have a single favorite obscure band.....but I really enjoy the early 70's  Brit proto/prog and prog bands like.....Spring , Fantasy, Beggars Opera, Web, Cressida, Titus Groan, Ton Ton Macoute, .....if anyone has any names of obscure ones from that genre please list them....I'm always looking for any I might have  missed.

Smile

How about the band Circus featuring Mel Collins?

Here the whole album:

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Posted By: ALotOfBottle
Date Posted: June 27 2016 at 03:19
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Smile

Myself, I would like to recommend Mighty Baby. This is as funky as prog/psych gets! Smile

-------------
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: June 27 2016 at 03:32
TORTILLA FLAT

Afficher limage dorigine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnT5ffjM2Go

Posted By: Larkstongue41
Date Posted: July 03 2016 at 08:45
I'd have to go with Van Der Graaf Generator. I guess you can call most of their albums obscure.

-------------
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."

Date Posted: July 03 2016 at 09:12
VDGG...obscure....?   Don't let the Hammill fans hear you say that.
LOL

To the other mentions.....love that 'Mighty Baby' album and the 'Circus' (1969) one also....those early prog things really are fun to listen to.

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: July 03 2016 at 10:25
so many of my favourite prog bands are "obscure"
will try to write more later

Posted By: andreol263
Date Posted: July 03 2016 at 10:38
Oh, and Satanique Samba Trio is another band that i'm love right now :D

-------------

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: July 03 2016 at 11:28
Out of the hundreds I could have mentioned for some reason I felt like mentioning pioneering but overlooked US proggers McLuhan. Anomaly is an  amazing/bizarre progrock-opera of sorts and somehow sounds distinctly american.

-------------

Posted By: TheLionOfPrague
Date Posted: July 03 2016 at 11:48
Depends what you consider obscure. Magic Pie, Le Orme, Anekdoten or Anglagard are obscure for the general population but not for prog fans. Hell, even Van der Graaf Generator or Gentle Giant are obscure for non-prog fans (and if I ask most of my friends Yes and ELP are "obscure"). Well, I think it's Sebastian Hardie although they're not that obscure really. But even among prog fans I don't see it mentioned that often and they're pretty good.

-------------
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place

Date Posted: July 03 2016 at 11:52
Originally posted by TheLionOfPrague TheLionOfPrague wrote:

Depends what you consider obscure. Magic Pie, Le Orme, Anekdoten or Anglagard are obscure for the general population but not for prog fans. Hell, even Van der Graaf Generator or Gentle Giant are obscure for non-prog fans (and if I ask most of my friends Yes and ELP are "obscure"). Well, I think it's Sebastian Hardie although they're not that obscure really. But even among prog fans I don't see it mentioned that often and they're pretty good.

Yep...obscure is a relative term depending on the population of listeners you are referring to.

Sebastian Hardie is obscure even to some prog fans....I did not learn about them until about 10 years ago.

Going to ck out Magic Pie.....someone told me they were good.
Smile

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: Progmind
Date Posted: July 03 2016 at 18:30
Koi from Sweden
Bubu from Argentina
Ezra Winston and Asgard from Italy
The Vow and Martigan from Germany
Moria Falls from UK

Posted By: Mellotron Storm
Date Posted: July 03 2016 at 18:35
Gotta go with Plat Du Jour from who's sole release from 1977 might be my favourite of that year. Another would be Archaia also from that year for some strange reason. Love those two bands.

-------------
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: July 03 2016 at 20:11
Hard to imagine what I have that would be considered obscure here

Karenautas - Argentinian Chamber Rock
The Nerve Institute - solo angular avant
Pikapika Teart - Siberian Chamber Rock
Upsilon Acrux - Brutal prog
Reve General - Volapuk spin off
The Future Kings Of England - the greatest Space Rock band that no-one knows
SKE - Yugen keyboardist solo album

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: July 03 2016 at 20:59
Oh, I don't know...Captain Beyond?

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: HemispheresOfXanadu
Date Posted: July 03 2016 at 23:08
http://thesoundofsincerity.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - http://thesoundofsincerity.bandcamp.com
The Sound Of Sincerity is neat. Proggy post-hardcore.

-------------
https://twitter.com/ProgFollower" rel="nofollow - @ProgFollower on Twitter. Tweet me muzak.

Posted By: Nawlinstoo
Date Posted: July 04 2016 at 08:23
HooffootWink

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: July 04 2016 at 08:27
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

Gotta go with Plat Du Jour from who's sole release from 1977 might be my favourite of that year. Another would be Archaia also from that year for some strange reason. Love those two bands.

Those are great picks

-------------

Posted By: omphaloskepsis
Date Posted: July 04 2016 at 10:44
-Advent
- Gandalf's Fist
- Seven Steps to the Green Door
-Tea Club
-IO Earth

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: July 04 2016 at 14:08

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: ClemofNazareth
Date Posted: July 04 2016 at 18:19
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

I've seen them live last summer - they were really good! I also got to talk to them for a few minutes, they were such nice people!

I'm sure they're nice people, would love to see a concert if I ever get the chance.  They're going to be in New York in July but unfortunately I'll be traveling Cry

-------------
"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus

Posted By: DeadSouls
Date Posted: July 04 2016 at 19:18
Buon Vecchio Charlie, Bauhaus, Osanna (RPI)

Date Posted: July 04 2016 at 19:19

Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

I'm sure they're nice people, would love to see a concert if I ever get the chance.  They're going to be in New York in July but unfortunately I'll be traveling Cry

I saw them last year, really good gig, had their kids running around at the front with the child minder. Really liked the atmosphere.

-------------
Ian

Posted By: POTA
Date Posted: July 04 2016 at 21:02
Esperanto

Date Posted: July 05 2016 at 00:41
It took me some time (money, money money ...) but I finally got on vinyl these three little gems. 
Barabba Canti del Vangelo Secondo Barabba album cover
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pvx7GRG4mA

*Hellebore - Il y a Des Jours CD (album) cover
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R7DVdSDNsw

Syrinx Long Lost Relatives album cover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKp67EfFeWY&list=PL9hLkUGcThJLZUHMT6y0L948FZcbf9dyd

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: July 05 2016 at 02:08
^ Hey Pierre I love that Syrinx album! Not all of it works perfectly but man it has some outstanding moments.

Date Posted: July 05 2016 at 02:29
Yes Sag. Thumbs Up And it's such a beautiful object. 

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: July 05 2016 at 02:53
how about Catapilla? they only made 2 albums, but I really love them

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: CPicard
Date Posted: July 05 2016 at 05:09
Not sure if they would be considered as progressive (rather brutal RIO/avant-prog?), but I have 3 albums by the Swiss band ALBOTH!
Not a band you like to hear before going to bed or just after waking up, but still an experience...

Posted By: brainstormer
Date Posted: July 07 2016 at 00:21
Here's the band Handel with their symphonic version of "Alexander's Feast."  You'll just have to imagine it as a four piece as I don't have that link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzQwFHJlkgo

-------------
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

Posted By: Mascodagama
Date Posted: July 07 2016 at 01:01
As others have said it depends on the level of obscurity. But I reckon any band that I've never seen mentioned here or at PE must be pretty damn obscure. The only two I can immediately think of, where I own the albums, would be Zem and Sonorhc.

Posted By: Nicky
Date Posted: July 07 2016 at 04:41
Semiramis, Bachdenkel, Dragonwyck and Writing on the Wall (not in any particular order). Although I'd say that from this list, maybe only Dragonwyck are really obscure. 

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: July 07 2016 at 05:23
Cue the fictional band names citation. The Evangelical Rollermeister Coalition. I like their earlier stuff.

Otherwise Andromeda (who had Zeppelin and Sabbath, 2 also obscure artists) warm up for 'em. Another name that might not be a household object is High Tide. Might as well mention the Groundhogs.

Speaking of obscure, bands that might be famous here but not off this site are one thing but a band that is world famous (mainstream) that may be relatively obscure here (the opposite) was seeing Split Enz mentioned. Now there was band that made itself a much better pop band with the perennial Beatles influence than a prog rock band. They did some good work with obscuremfaded guitar hero Phil Manzanera he of obscure 70s deities Roxy Music.

Posted By: chazzaboy
Date Posted: July 09 2016 at 10:56
T2 maybe............Patto maybe.........

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: July 10 2016 at 06:39
.O.rang, Camberwell Now, From Monument to Masses

Posted By: aglasshouse
Date Posted: July 10 2016 at 15:20
The Shiver, East of Eden, and Ramases to name a few.

-------------
http://fryingpanmedia.com

Posted By: Duke of Rother
Date Posted: July 14 2016 at 15:52
A new one I've just come across - Evership.

Brazilian bands A Bolha and Blue Mammoth (latter not so obscure though).

Poland's Loonypark, Love De Vice and Millenium have varying degrees of obscurity I suppose.

But Evership is the one that really needs to be on PA.

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: July 25 2016 at 08:35
I love obscure American Prog from the 70's:

Arabesque
Babylon
Earthrise
Easter Island
Surprise
Lift 
Maelstrom
Quill
The Load
Mirthrandir
Pentwater
Pre
Hands
Ethos 
Hands
Chakra

and, of course (though less obscure):

Happy The Man
Starcastle

Posted By: Terrapin Station
Date Posted: July 25 2016 at 16:22
Well, it's difficult to say who is obscure or not.  Van der Graaf Generator or even Gentle Giant are going to be obscure to most "normal folks," whereas I'd not assume that I could mention anyone that a significant percentage of progarchives regulars won't be familiar with.

At any rate, a couple handfuls of favs who are less well-known than Gentle Giant Wink:

4/3 de Trio
5uu's
7for4
Kids Eat Crayons
Kombinat M
Naikaku
Nukli
Simon Steensland
U Totem
Zs

Date Posted: July 25 2016 at 16:59
Originally posted by Terrapin Station Terrapin Station wrote:

5uu's
Simon Steensland
U Totem

Now those are good bands

-------------
Ian

Posted By: comascape
Date Posted: July 29 2016 at 12:42
Would Beggars Opera be obscure? If so, probably them.

-------------
"You have to systematically create confusion, it sets creativity free. Everything that is contradictory creates life."
-Salvador Dali

Posted By: maryes
Date Posted: July 30 2016 at 18:26
I can mention countless bands , as for instance the Norwegian band DEJA-VÚ and his only album "Between the Leaves" from 1976, the Swiss band CARDEILHAC "Same" from 1971, other Swiss band FRIENDSHIP TIME "Same" from 1976, the North-american band ETHO'S and his 2 albums "Ardour" from 1975, "Open Up" from 1977 etc... etc.... etc...

Posted By: Aled91
Date Posted: December 05 2016 at 01:15
Check out these:

Jeavestone
Il Rumore Bianco
La Coscienza di Zeno
The Secret Sits
Promenade

Posted By: ProfPanglos
Date Posted: July 27 2017 at 22:49
My "obscure band" recommendation to those of you with an ear for electronic (particularly Berlin-school) is... Nightcrawlers.  These guys were the real deal.  

https://manikinrecords.bandcamp.com/album/traveling-backwards

https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/rpykn8/the-nightcrawlers-remain-an-obscure-but-great-80s-electronic-band

Date Posted: July 28 2017 at 00:02
Lambert Simnel's Astrolabe

-------------
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
http://bandcamp.com/jpillbox" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp Profile

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: July 28 2017 at 15:58
The French band NebelNest....

http://www.nebelnest.com" rel="nofollow - http://www.nebelnest.com

I saw them perform in Chicago in 1999, they channeled LTIA era Crimson nicely!  

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: March 21 2018 at 17:39
this is totally obscure:

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: March 21 2018 at 18:22
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

this is totally obscure:

Not only obscure but totally weird! I love this kind of crazy stuff! Cool album cover. The earliest free form rock i've ever heard that can still be considered rock. Thanks for sharing Wink

-------------

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: March 21 2018 at 19:59
Led Zeppelin. They were a band from the late 60s and the 70s. When they didn't sell enough platinum albums as a blues-rock band, they tried to be proggy for a few albums. It didn't work, I guess, because they quit completely by 1980. Too bad. They had some nice tunes.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: March 21 2018 at 20:42
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Led Zeppelin. They were a band from the late 60s and the 70s. When they didn't sell enough platinum albums as a blues-rock band, they tried to be proggy for a few albums. It didn't work, I guess, because they quit completely by 1980. Too bad. They had some nice tunes.

Yeah, they are almost as obscure as this other band you might have heard of(I'm going out on a limb here)called Pink Floyd. Apparently some of the guys are still touring. Not sure. It's too bad they broke up too because they could have been huge. 

Date Posted: March 21 2018 at 21:28
Ben listening to 'Fuchsia' lately because its the name of one of the characters in Titus Groan (Gormenghast trilogy) which I'm reading.
Good proggy folk rock from 1970.
And the band 'Titus Groan' which is obviously from the title itself.

-------------
Haquin

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: March 21 2018 at 23:42
Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band.

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: March 22 2018 at 00:07
Excubus

-------------

Date Posted: March 22 2018 at 00:15
^ good little Canadian organ proggers, formerly Incubus

-------------

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: March 22 2018 at 03:04
Jane
their albums from 1972 to 1978 are worth checking out. 

Posted By: M27Barney
Date Posted: March 22 2018 at 05:37
"As Above So Below" so obscure that only tape recording from their friday-night rock-show sessions exist - truly marvellous - their stuff should be covered by a modern prog band - it would be acemans!
even their love-song is brilliant....

-------------
Play me my song.....Here it comes again.......

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: March 22 2018 at 10:45
Fresno's own, https://eisforelephant.bandcamp.com/track/matrix-labyrinth" rel="nofollow - E is for Elephant .

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Date Posted: March 22 2018 at 15:23
Semi-obscure: Hampton Grease Band. Actually a major label act, but nobody seems to talk about them any more and the album's been OOP for years. It's genius though.

Fairly obscure: Zauber. I have a big soft spot for the first album.

Really obscure: William Nowik. This one is a bit of a cheat, as his album isn't really much of a favourite of mine - pleasant enough but nothing notable. Most of these arcane private press jobbies aren't that great when you come to listen to them, TBH.

-------------

Date Posted: March 22 2018 at 16:40
Where do we draw the line between obscure and not obscure? Isn't most prog obscure? 

In my opinion the most well known prog band that isn't part of the big five is Gentle Giant. I have a hard time calling them obscure but as soon as you step outside of prog circles they certainly are.

Posted By: Havantville
Date Posted: March 26 2018 at 06:39
Lammagyre. A London band who were on the gig circuit mid 70's -1980. A young Doug Boyle (Robert Plant, Nigel Kennedy) was a member.

Posted By: Argos
Date Posted: March 26 2018 at 07:24
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Where do we draw the line between obscure and not obscure? Isn't most prog obscure? 

In my opinion the most well known prog band that isn't part of the big five is Gentle Giant. I have a hard time calling them obscure but as soon as you step outside of prog circles they certainly are.

Most prog bands in the grand scheme of music are relatively obscure, except for maybe King Crimson and Genesis. I honestly hadn't heard about any of the other bands when I wasn't into prog (certainly not to Gentle Giant). There is also Pink Floyd, but it's always been kind of the exception to the rule.

Some relatively (though not by prog standards) "obscure" bands that I listen to are maybe Renaissance, Can and Faust.

-------------
"All the iron turned to rust;
All the proud men turned to dust
And so all things, time will mend
So this song will end"

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: March 26 2018 at 11:03
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

LOL

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: March 26 2018 at 12:17
5 Bridges Netherlands

-------------

Date Posted: March 26 2018 at 14:38
Originally posted by Argos Argos wrote:

Most prog bands in the grand scheme of music are relatively obscure, except for maybe King Crimson and Genesis. I honestly hadn't heard about any of the other bands when I wasn't into prog (certainly not to Gentle Giant). There is also Pink Floyd, but it's always been kind of the exception to the rule.

Some relatively (though not by prog standards) "obscure" bands that I listen to are maybe Renaissance, Can and Faust.

You think King Crimson are more well known than Yes?

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: March 26 2018 at 17:51

Originally posted by Argos Argos wrote:

You think King Crimson are more well known than Yes?

Where I live, I'd say people know both equally.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Date Posted: March 26 2018 at 18:33
Really? KC don't get played at all on the radio(or if they do it's really rare unless you count college or independent radio). I actually remember talking to someone sometime last year(a guy who was probably in his fifties no less)who knew Yes but never even heard of King Crimson. I was surprised. I think maybe younger people probably know both equally since radio play doesn't matter much to them but over all no I would say Yes are a bit more well known(and I doubt it matters much where you live). So how do I quantify this? Well for one thing there are more likes for the Yes page on facebook and also Yes have platinum albums where as King Crimson do not. Is this the be all end all? No. This is just my opinion based on experience. I think maybe more younger people know or are into KC because they have more hipster cred but over all I think Yes are more well known.

Posted By: CosmicVibration
Date Posted: March 26 2018 at 19:40
Hoyry Kone

Date Posted: March 26 2018 at 19:58
^Did they break up?

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Date Posted: March 26 2018 at 20:25
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

^Did they break up?

Became Alamaailman Vasarat

-------------
Ian

Date Posted: March 26 2018 at 21:00
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

^Did they break up?

I remember seeing them at one of the early Nearfests. I talked to some of the members of the band and asked them which Hoyry Kone cd I should get. They said "get both." I said I just want to start with one and they repeated "get both." I got frustrated because they had this all or nothing attitude so I wound up not getting anything by Hoyry Kone and I actually never bought another AV cd either(possibly because of that). Bad marketing. 

Date Posted: March 27 2018 at 00:47
^ “Get both” was good advice, though. I wouldn't want to be without either.

-------------

Posted By: Blaqua
Date Posted: April 02 2018 at 13:55
Alphataurus, Fantasy (English band), Gryphon, Mona Lisa, Shylock   

Date Posted: April 02 2018 at 15:04
Any prog band I've heard and enjoyed that isn't Yes, Genesis, Pink Floyd, Kansas, Marillion, Dream Theater, ELP, Rush, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Porcupine Tree, Steven Wilson, The Moody Blues, Frank Zappa or Gentle Giant. Did I leave anyone out? I suppose I could also include slightly lesser known bands(in prog circles anyway)such as Magma, PFM, Renaissance, Nektar, Focus, Strawbs, Gong, Can, Tangerine Dream, VDGG, Camel and the Mars Volta. Ok, now anyone else. :) Pretty much any prog band that hasn't had an album that has sold more than 100,000 copies which means 99 percent of prog bands. 

I'll pick one anyway and that is Happy the Man.They don't seem to get mentioned much on here and although they are or at least used to be considered one of the best(if not THE best US prog band)they are somehow still considered rather obscure(especially on here). It's a shame because their first two are really excellent and classics and the third one is still good. THey did a comeback album in 2004 (maybe?)that was pretty good but imo sounded too much like their earlier stuff but not on the same level. Still pretty good over all though. Definitely a band worth checking out if you like the idea of symph prog crossed with fusion(ie UK). 

Date Posted: April 02 2018 at 15:08

^Did they break up?

That's right! I forgot.

-------------

Date Posted: April 02 2018 at 15:12

-------------

Date Posted: April 02 2018 at 15:13
TongueWink

Date Posted: April 02 2018 at 15:14
LOL

-------------

Date Posted: April 02 2018 at 15:21
Systems Theory are great. I have that album somewhere. Do you know of any other similar bands?

Date Posted: April 02 2018 at 15:23

That's a great album.

-------------
Ian

Date Posted: April 02 2018 at 15:26

^Did they break up?

I remember seeing them at one of the early Nearfests. I talked to some of the members of the band and asked them which Hoyry Kone cd I should get. They said "get both." I said I just want to start with one and they repeated "get both." I got frustrated because they had this all or nothing attitude so I wound up not getting anything by Hoyry Kone and I actually never bought another AV cd either(possibly because of that). Bad marketing. 

Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

^ “Get both” was good advice, though. I wouldn't want to be without either.

Indeed, both albums are excellent, I've very happy I got both,  plus you're missing out on some great AV. Bad Marketing meet cutting your nose off to spite your face.

-------------
Ian

Date Posted: April 02 2018 at 15:36

Systems Theory are great. I have that album somewhere. Do you know of any other similar bands?

Greg Amov (RIP) was part of System Theory and you can find his solo music here, its quite lovely:-

http://www.mikedickson.org.uk/geckohighway/" rel="nofollow - http://www.mikedickson.org.uk/geckohighway/

http://www.mikedickson.org.uk/tdwtd/index.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.mikedickson.org.uk/tdwtd/index.html

http://www.mikedickson.org.uk/noblegases/" rel="nofollow - http://www.mikedickson.org.uk/noblegases/

-------------
Ian

Date Posted: April 02 2018 at 15:45
I would argue they were the ones cutting off their noses to spite their face by not making a recommendation for one over the other. FOr me I didn't want to spend thirty dollars for a band I never heard before. I would have bought one but their stubborness prevented that. So yeah. Cutting nose off? No I don't see it that way. Bad PR on their part? Yes, that's my opinion. The promoter for After Crying was probably just as bad by practically begging me and screaming at me to buy one of their cds. 

Posted By: doompaul
Date Posted: April 02 2018 at 15:47
Not obscure on here, i'm sure, but in the real world? Greenslade. I just picked up their debut and man the first song alone is worth the price of admission. 

Date Posted: April 02 2018 at 15:50
Heck even Gentle Giant is obscure in the "real world." Not sure about King Crimson though. I think most music fans at least know about them regardless if they are prog fans or not. 

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk