Print Page | Close Window

Song reviews of bands we don't like

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific prog albums
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=107127
Printed Date: May 01 2024 at 12:50
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Song reviews of bands we don't like
Posted By: Logan
Subject: Song reviews of bands we don't like
Date Posted: June 28 2016 at 19:36
I've often thought that it would be an interesting exercise to review albums by bands that I dislike, but sitting through a whole album by a band that I dislike and then having to review it would not be fun (to be honest, I don't even much like reviewing albums I love). I've also often thought that it would be neat to hear more in-depth commentary about music that people dislike. Often comments just boil down to someone hates a band, or hates an album without further commentary (little substance or explanation). I'd be more interested to hear about the specifics than the generalities, then I can better understand exactly what people don't like about something, and maybe in listening more attentively and analytically, people might find something to like in an album, or find something by a band that they dismiss that they would like.

I often might find that while an album doesn't wholly appeal, there might be one song, or even a moment that I genuinely do like. Sometimes finding that moment has opened up a whole album to me (how receptive I am often depends on my mood and what music I'm particularly into at any given time).

So I thought it might be fun to post a Prog band, or a Prog album (or several), that one has been dismissive of, or hated, and then another post would link to, say, a particular track from the band/artist on youtube, then that person would write a little review, or impressions of the music after thoroughly listening to it. I would try to avoid really long tracks in response.

I would ask people to avoid mentioning bands (or albums if they cant generalize with a band) that are commonly dismissed as poor, and ones in categories where you don't like other bands or you feel you fairly firmly hate the whole genre. I won't mention, say, Prog Metal or Neo Prog listed bands because while I like some music in the categories, I don't love bands in them (I'm sure people could find bands I would like in those categories, but that's for another topic).

I don't hate any bands or albums that I can think of, but I have been dismissive of Spock's Beard. Okay, maybe that band comes a little too close to Neo-Prog to be a good choice and I'm not that big on Symphonic Prog, but I like enough symphonic prog to be comfortable choosing a band from that category.

So, somebody who knows Spock's Beard can post a link to a single track, and then in time I will listen to it and review it. Hopefully others will post bands that they dislike, and hopefully my and others musical horizons might just expand a bit, or we may re-evaluate the value we give the band (we might just find it's not altogether as bad as we thought). I hope this can be a positive experience.

A long post, I hope I've been clear. To summarize:
- Mention a band,or several, you dislike (have negative opinions of) from a Prog category you have likes in
- Someone post a track (embed or hyperlink, url) from the band someone said they disliked
- Listen to, then review or post impressions of the track that was posted in response to you.

If you're posting a track in response, please do try to mention your own dislikes. Oh, and do try to take the person's tastes into account when choosing a track if possible.

Again, my dislike is Spock's Beard. I tried getting into them at maybe the wrong time, with the wrong expectations, and perhaps the wrong album (but I won't say which album). I was very into Symphonic Prog at the time, but not so into modern prog back then.

-------------
Just a fanboy passin' through.

Replies:
Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: June 28 2016 at 21:15
Hi,

IF, we want to help and bring "progressive music" up and make it better, and be a part of the "event", then we have to be a bit more polite, and curb our enthusiasm, SPECIALLY when it is based on "preferences". Not liking a band, is not a good review, and should be removed from the site, although I would agree that we should allow all points of view.

In general, I tend to go for the art of it all, and will not review things that I do not feel comfortable with, or do not have an emotional connection to it while listening. I have Spock's Beard and many other things, and while I find them nice, they are not standard bearers for what I, personally, would like to hear as a part of "progressive music", but that does not take their right and ability to help keep alive something that we love so dearly, and this is where you have to really pay attention ... 

It goes like this ... you have a child ... and now you spend your time putting it down? Is that the right thing to do? 

Not by me!

Write something else, please, about another band, or new album. 

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: June 28 2016 at 22:28
Hi, Pedro. How it's going?

Umm, I'm not really sure if I expressed well enough my purpose, as I don't know that you have quite grokked what I was attempting. I'm having a sense of deja-vu. I must have posted something similar before and you posted in a very similar lecturey fashion

Of course you're free to do what you want, and I'm not trying push anyone into doing anything they are uncomfortable with. Maybe make a topic yourself that better suits your aims, but only if you want to, of course.

It's not about me wanting to help bring " "progressive music" up and make it better", though being part of an event is an important aspect of me wanting to share experiences and conversing with people, be it here or with friends and family.

The reviews/ impressions/ critiques are merely for this thread. It's not about putting down music at all, it's about re-evaluating music and maybe finding some value in it that we didn't realize before.

There's nothing wrong with saying I don't like something -- that's subjective. What I'm hoping is that people might just find there is some value to the music, and find some positive things to say about music that they have been dismissive over when listening to the tracks that people suggest they try.

I don't think Spock's Beard is bad, and maybe I'll never love it, but in analysing music of it myself (based on a suggested track) and hearing what others say about it, I might discover something I haven't before. I certainly wouldn't bash it, at worst I might just conclude that it's not to my taste.

I discover new to me music, films, tv, books quite often, and do try to share my impressions and passions with others.

Anyway, I'm perfectly comfortable writing about something I might not like, and discussing it with others. As I've often said, I'm interested in hearing about what people like and don't like, but I generally prefer for there to be some thought put into expressing such things.

But if someone wants to say I hate Pussy Riot without giving any reasons (Mrs. Johnson, my old grade school nemesis, I'm looking at you), nor being open to discussing it with others who feel differently, nor being open to checking out more of the music that some think might appeal, well fine. Its just not a very sociable way to share one's dislikes, I find.

Anyway, I don't expect any more interest in this what I thought could be fun and sociable little experiment than you have shown, such is the way of the hoser. Maybe you're right to be concerned, despite wanting this to be a positive exercise, it will probably just end in disappointment.

-------------

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: June 28 2016 at 22:48
I must admit it's a tall order, and a tricky one though potentially stimulating.   I'm at the point where I can find value to a music and still tear the album to pieces  LOL , and negative reviews do tend to be fun.   But I also enjoy those middle-of-the-roaders where there are both highs & lows, because that can be a real challenge to write about.   No extremes to rest upon and you have to make a real case for mediocrity.  

[sorry I don't have a proper contribution to your thesis; a review and all]

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Date Posted: June 29 2016 at 12:03
Well put. I especially like "No extremes to rest upon and you have to make a real case for mediocrity." I love that sentence, and am putting it in my mind palace for plundering.

--------------------------------------------

Blogging here: I just now recalled a discussion on Nine Inch Nails at this very site, I was thinking about how I've rather dismissed the band in the past due to the singing and other qualities, and hadn't found it that progressive. I asked if there were albums that would appeal to my tastes. Being impatient, I didn't wait for a response (one can never be assured of a response in a discussion forum) and instead looked up instrumental albums by NIN, and came across Ghosts I-IV, so edited in that I found something I like and no need for response. So, if one is really interested in actually exploring an artist to see if one can find exceptions, it is very rewarding when you do it yourself. Most people expect who post that they dislike something without further clarifications or asking for recommendations that they might like from an artists that hasn't appealed aren't interested in exploring it more, wanting recommendations, or willing to re-appraise music they already know, but may not have listened to in many years, with fresh ears. So pretty pointless, generally. And of course said person might know all the material well yet still have nothing click. With me, I can almost always find something to at least respect musically if I approach it with the right attitude and without the wrong sort of expectations. It's positive to say, while certain aspects don't appeal, and maybe the whole thing doesn't work for me, there are some qualities that I think well done.

Anyway, in the spirit of fun, which if not to the detriment of others is a noble pursuit, here is my conversation with Jugsmonster123 that I had while showering (it's an imaginary friend, please don't judge).

Jugs: "I was thinking about your topic, and I just don't like Magma."
Logan: "It's your loss."
Jugs: "Well, okay... Ummm, aren't you supposed to recommend me some specific music?"
Logan: "You haven't been listening?"
Jugs: "I usually only join you in the shower."
Logan: "Right, so what kind of music do you like since I never got down to fleshing you out personality-wise?"
Jugs: "I like pop, soul, disco, that sort of thing."
Logan: "What are your favourite songs?"
Jugs: "Songs like Call Me, Call Me Maybe, I Just Called To Say I Love You, Kiss Me Thru the Phone, Love on the Line, and Baby Don't Forget My Number."
Logan: "So telephone related songs."
Jugs: "And Baby related.... I'm Your Baby Tonight, Baby, I Love Your Way, Baby, I Need Your Loving, Baby Love, Baby it's You, and that Bieber song Baby, baby, baby, baby ooh."
Logan:   Hmm, it's a tall order, Magma sings in Kobaian and I don't know what words translate to baby and call or phone in that language."
Jugs: "Well, then, maybe Magma just isn't for me"
Logan: "Hmm, I think "Hortz fur dehn stekehn west" might be telephone related."
Jugs: K
Logan: "Hang on, I thought of another one, try this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCS08svBdQs" rel="nofollow - Call From The Dark (Ooh Ooh Baby)
Jugs: ""Ooh ooh baby ... call me on the phone..." it's perfect, Merci beaucoup!"

-------------

Posted By: Epignosis
Date Posted: June 29 2016 at 18:06
If I am understanding the procedure correctly:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2qn44l" rel="nofollow - https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2qn44l

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Date Posted: June 29 2016 at 18:07
And I don't really like Supertramp.

-------------
https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays" rel="nofollow - https://epignosis.bandcamp.com/album/a-month-of-sundays

Date Posted: June 29 2016 at 21:50
^ Thanks for stepping up to the plate. You got the procedure right, I just made it sound very, very complicated.

EDIT:

My mini-review, or impressions as I listen a second time to that Spock's Beard track (I know that it would need more spins to do a decent job as one often has to adjust to music and breathe it in a bit). In fact, sometimes I have to live with music for a long time waiting until I'm in just the right mood.

I wrote down my impressions on every bit of the song because it does seem a bit of a patchwork with repeating verses and themes, but I din't like how it turned out, so this will be somewhat shorter. I still don't like how it turned out, but family needs me and I won't edit more at this time. I'm not breaking into paragraphs as much a I should to make it harder to read as I'm embarrassed at how badly I have written it.

It is very musically accomplished track that incorporates various styles of music into a sort of symphonic prog form. I'm not sure what the overall structure is, it's not really a suite.... Hmm, it has some pop music structure with other bits thrown in. Certainly parts I definitely liked much more than others. The first minute was gorgeous, and had a cinematic feel, later I enjoyed brassy bits. There's some fabulous cello and french horn in there. The drumming was very good, especially during the jazz bit. The ballady bits were too AOR for me, and the metal parts were not my style, but of course a sum is greater than its parts and I respect that they tried to be diverse. I will say that it reminded me a bit too much of Yes and Rush in parts, but I like Yes and Rush to an extant. My biggest qualm is the vocals. They sounded too AOR for me, and I didn't like the vocal harmonies or certain repetitions of words I don't find the vocalist generally appealing, but there was a vocal bit in the song that I did enjoy. Structurally, I found it rather too repetitive yet at the same time a bit too much of a patchwork (didn't quite gel for me even though themes were repeated and the repetition of refrains). I think it went into verse chorus verse structure a bit too much, or was it too many refrains of the same? You know structure better than I. It did get too noodley in parts, a problem with Yes that it sounded very influenced by to me. I do think it was overlong and would have been better at about half the length (much like this review only this review would be better in one sentence or two), but certainly there was some noodling that didn't move the song forward and harsher editing to keep it focused would have made it rather better. Musically, the individual parts didn't feel that original to me, but I suppose the originality comes from the way they pieced it together and incorporated those parts into a song.

That said, I do think it shows an accomplished group of musicians, and I do think that there are some very good ideas in the song. The vocals were easier to take the second time, so who knows what I will think when I hear it again. Maybe the structure will click more on successive spins. Music is an acquired taste (don't like that phrasing much, but you get the idea), and two tries at listening to a song of a style that one does not usually listen to is not really enough. I do have greater respect for the abilities of the band, found much to enjoy in that music, and I may even get the album at some time. Definitely preferred it to what I heard before of Spock's Beard (the album I bought in about 2004), so thank you. It's actually a really catchy song, and I'm sure that on successive spins I'll totally get it and appreciate it more and more.

Incidentally, I didn't know you could embed dailymotion vids here, cool (video starts every time I enter the thread and needs pausing not to play for me).

Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

And I don't really like Supertramp.

I'm going to edit in my review later (listened already, but need to again -- {AND EDITED IN}), I just want to get in first with a Supertramp song. It's off the debut album from 1970, and at 12 minutes it is the longest track off it. It's called Try Again (which is kind of an appropriate title for the topic). It may be a different side to the band than you already know, and it may not appeal. Others would probably recommend "Fool's Overture", but I suspect you've heard that. Another might recommend "Brother Where You Bound", but I think the debut album is a good one to try.

Unfortunately, I could not find the song itself for embedding, so this is the whole album, so you'll have to move the time slider manually. Song begins at 32:38 and ends at 44:38 (or thereabouts).

{it's funny that I spoke of that Spock's Beard song being overlong, while posting this, as one could very easily say the same of this track}

{Editing to fix youtube embeds in thread since they don't work that way anymore}

-------------

Posted By: Pastmaster
Date Posted: June 30 2016 at 02:25
So do I just go ahead and mention a band I don't like if I want to join in?

Date Posted: June 30 2016 at 02:51
Originally posted by Pastmaster Pastmaster wrote:

So do I just go ahead and mention a band I don't like if I want to join in?

Yep.

Then someone needs to post a link to a song, or embed a video, from the band, then you can share your impressions of the music (just mentioning this for the sake of clarity all around).

-------------

Posted By: nat health
Date Posted: June 30 2016 at 05:59
VGG. I can't get past the hammy vocals.

Date Posted: June 30 2016 at 06:20

-------------

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: June 30 2016 at 07:22
^ I guess mine was already answered. It's a really good song, it's nice to see these great musicians getting the attention they deserve. "Godbluff" is actually the only album I find tolerable since it's short, more instrumental and has less aggressive vocals.

About Spock's Beard, did you hear anything from the first two albums? I think they are quite different from the next ones, less mature in a good way, in my opinion. I have to say though that the AOR is part of the appeal, similarly to Kansas.

Sorry, I couldn't find the studio version of "The Light" which is much shorter and equally epic.

Date Posted: June 30 2016 at 07:26
Hey, not fair!  
As an instrumental piece, it has its moments.  I like the last minute or so, when the synth (or maybe synth saxes?) kick in. The rest is a bit too obvious in its "Victory Theme" / Chariots of Fire approach.  Also, where have I heard that main motif before?  Genesis?  It'll come to me.
I suspect VGG  has many instrumental high points, but I haven't been able to bear listening once the HAMmill bone is served.  I'd like to hear a track with vocals that do not sound like a high school production of HAMlet. The gauntlet has been thrown.

Posted By: HosiannaMantra
Date Posted: June 30 2016 at 07:42
Anathema for me Wink

Date Posted: June 30 2016 at 08:40
I must confess to being something of a hypocrite with Supertramp.  My experience with them has been limited to the radio and Crime of the Century.  I like the radio hits a fair bit, but they're not the kind of thing I'd go out of my way to listen to.  I call myself a hypocrite in this regard because Kansas (my favorite band) rides in that same boat for a lot of people- they only know what gets airplay and not a note beyond that, and so their perspective of the band is limited and ignorant.  That's the same way with Supertramp and me.  Like I said, I dig the radio hits, and on the basis of the high rating here, I thought Crime of the Century would be worth checking out.  It didn't do anything for me.

"Try Again" is a different beast entirely.  It sounds a lot like early Genesis morphing into early-early Kansas when the bluesy guitar solo takes off.  Excellent stuff.  If you know my musical interests at all, you will already know that I could care less for the "Moonchild"-inspired business that transpires toward the end of the song.  I like how it comes back together for one more driving rehearsal of the main theme.

4/5

That was fun.

-------------

Date Posted: June 30 2016 at 10:40
^^Here's an Anathema song for you. Mind you, I only like their early doom metal stuff like this.

As for me, I don't really like Genesis.

Date Posted: June 30 2016 at 13:25
Originally posted by nat health nat health wrote:

Hey, not fair!  

As an instrumental piece, it has its moments.  I like the last minute or so, when the synth (or maybe synth saxes?) kick in. The rest is a bit too obvious in its "Victory Theme" / Chariots of Fire approach.  Also, where have I heard that main motif before?  Genesis?  It'll come to me.

I suspect VGG  has many instrumental high points, but I haven't been able to bear listening once the HAMmill bone is served.  I'd like to hear a track with vocals that do not sound like a high school production of HAMlet. The gauntlet has been thrown.

I know I was being cheeky by choosing an instrumental. I couldn't resist. The Theme One single went number one in Italy (I think one reason why they loved VdGG Hammill as much as they did there had something to do with their operatic tradition, even if Hammill is no Puccini). I just found out that "Theme One was an instrumental piece, originally written by Beatles producer George Martin as a fanfare for the BBC radio station Radio 1" (wikipedia) in 1967. So me not just choosing an instrumental but choosing a cover is really shameful . Maybe Genesis based some music on it. http://www.allmusic.com/song/theme-one-mt0003556198" rel="nofollow - http://www.allmusic.com/song/theme-one-mt0003556198

George Martin has few versions, and have to admit that as much as I love VdGG's version, George Martin owns it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EVpvrDeVg8" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EVpvrDeVg8

Hopefully you will now get a decent suggestion since you explained more about the haminess. My problem with Hammill's hamminess that I used to say made me ill before I acquired a taste for it was the histrionics, but I liked his singing on the gentler songs such as "Refugees", "House With No Door" , and "Out of My Book". That said, they do have those HAMlet qualities you profess.

I'll let someone else you knows more of the VdGG material well choose a track for you. I only regularly listen to The Least We Can Do (my fave), He to He, and Pawn Hearts. I used to have Godbluff, but it went missing.

Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^ I guess mine was already answered. It's a really good song, it's nice to see these great musicians getting the attention they deserve. "Godbluff" is actually the only album I find tolerable since it's short, more instrumental and has less aggressive vocals.

About Spock's Beard, did you hear anything from the first two albums? I think they are quite different from the next ones, less mature in a good way, in my opinion. I have to say though that the AOR is part of the appeal, similarly to Kansas. [/snip] [

Maybe Godbluff would be a good one to find a suitable track for Nat's wants. No, I hadn't listened to early Spock's Beard (or barely). Only album I have had of Spock's Beard is Snow, and Spock's Beard was recommended specifically to me back then because I was a Gentle Giant fan, and the album just didn't meet my expectations, unlike say Et Cetera https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3tOes0y2hQ" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3tOes0y2hQ , but it's not like I requested a clone. I discovered another modern band back that had some of the same spirit back then called Miriodor, also from Quebec, that exceeded any expectations.

I like the song that Epignosis posted on the whole, and I think the one you posted is good. I knew I'd misjudged the band based on my particular expectations. And there's a lot of music in the AOR universe that I do enjoy. Kansas is another that, while I don't care for the vocals much of the time, they have undeniably good music. I like less mature often, a reason why I very often prefer the early albums of a band (especially when it comes to late 60s and 70s bands even before they hit their major Prog classics r commercial success). For instance, I prefer the debut of Supertramp to later stuff, I prefer early Magma to later Magma (first two albums), I generally prefer earlier Tangerine Dream to Phaedra up albums (though I like the later stuff too), earlier Pink Floyd to post Atom heart Mother Pink Floyd, and I prefer early Yes to later Yes (but I could think of many hundreds).
There's often a rawness to the early production that I like, and later on albums get too slick and refined in a sense. A problem I often have with AOR/ melodic rock is that it is so slick (bet a lot of that would sound better to me in concert).

-------------

Date Posted: June 30 2016 at 13:49
Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

I must confess to being something of a hypocrite with Supertramp.  My experience with them has been limited to the radio and Crime of the Century.  I like the radio hits a fair bit, but they're not the kind of thing I'd go out of my way to listen to.  I call myself a hypocrite in this regard because Kansas (my favorite band) rides in that same boat for a lot of people- they only know what gets airplay and not a note beyond that, and so their perspective of the band is limited and ignorant.  That's the same way with Supertramp and me.  Like I said, I dig the radio hits, and on the basis of the high rating here, I thought Crime of the Century would be worth checking out.  It didn't do anything for me.

"Try Again" is a different beast entirely.  It sounds a lot like early Genesis morphing into early-early Kansas when the bluesy guitar solo takes off.  Excellent stuff.  If you know my musical interests at all, you will already know that I could care less for the "Moonchild"-inspired business that transpires toward the end of the song.  I like how it comes back together for one more driving rehearsal of the main theme.

4/5

That was fun.

I'm glad that you could appreciate it. I certainly appreciated the Spock's Beard track you posted, and as I listen more, I expect to like it more and more (and should help me to appreciate more bands and albums).

I was trying to think of one that you might not know since that it is not as commercial an album as later ones even though I knew that the ""Moonchild inspired" business" was very unlikely to appeal. My suspicion was that it was the vocals that may have been the turn off for Supertramp, otherwise I think I would have been more likely to suggest their classic epic "Fool's Overture" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLbYL10c1zo" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLbYL10c1zo , which is a very long-time favourite song of mine that most reminds me of Elton John's Funeral for a Friend/ Love Lies Bleeding musically. I'm happy to have chosen one that I think would be less known even by people who really like lots of Supertramp. "Fool's Overture' gets radio play here on classic rock radio, but I've never heard "Try Again" on the radio that I can recall, and it sure ain't on my Supertramp greatest hits CD. :)

I'm not too keen on the oddest part of "Try Again "(I'd call it experimental, but it's more like playing around), but I do rather like it as an interlude that to me the conclusion somehow more impactful, so it serves some purpose for me (the "experimentation" reminds me somewhat of "Moon in June" by Soft Machine).

-------------

Date Posted: June 30 2016 at 14:30

^^Here's an Anathema song for you. Mind you, I only like their early doom metal stuff like this.

Well, I'm generally not a huge doom metal fan, but this is definitively better than their later "prog" stuff. The clean part reminds me of The Cure, and those growls sound quite atmospheric and powerful, and although I'm not a huge fan of growling vocals they fit quite nice, much better than later Evanescence-like harmonies. It's not spectacular, but all the parts are rhythmically interesting, well tied together and solidly performed. And that sludgy production works much better than those "Holywood spectacle" aesthetics that ruined Anathema as well as many other contemporary metal acts for me. Big smile

Date Posted: June 30 2016 at 16:27
After one listen of each track, I think we're on the same page. On more subdued tracks such as these, Hammill takes it down a notch and doesn't overwhelm.  Very listenable, and the bass in particular is great. 
All the more frustrating, then, when the music gets denser (darker if you will),as with the beginning of "Arrow" from Godbluff, and then Hammill reverts to a bitchy Rod McKuen.  Just kinda kills the mood for me.

Date Posted: June 30 2016 at 20:13
Originally posted by HosiannaMantra HosiannaMantra wrote:

Well, I'm generally not a huge doom metal fan, but this is definitively better than their later "prog" stuff. The clean part reminds me of The Cure, and those growls sound quite atmospheric and powerful, and although I'm not a huge fan of growling vocals they fit quite nice, much better than later Evanescence-like harmonies. It's not spectacular, but all the parts are rhythmically interesting, well tied together and solidly performed. And that sludgy production works much better than those "Holywood spectacle" aesthetics that ruined Anathema as well as many other contemporary metal acts for me. Big smile

Glad you found that early doom track interesting, I wish their early stuff got more recognition. Tongue

Date Posted: July 01 2016 at 17:40
Oh, sorry, and a Genesis song for you:

Date Posted: July 01 2016 at 22:48
Originally posted by HosiannaMantra HosiannaMantra wrote:

Oh, sorry, and a Genesis song for you:

Genesis is one of those bands where I enjoy some of their songs, but for every song I like there seems to be 10 songs that I don't. This was a pretty decent song, I liked the sort of early Deep Purple-vibe it had going on in places minus the heavy guitars of the aforementioned band. Also their kind of symphonic sound works better in a shorter format to my ears, as I don't get bored with it like I do on a lot of their more well-known stuff. Smile

So now do I just wait for another person to say a band they don't like?

Date Posted: July 03 2016 at 13:20
Or say another band yourself if you want.

-------------

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: July 05 2016 at 02:05
I'd love to love Pink Floyd, but every time I listen to them, I fall asleep. Embarrassed Same with TD.Embarrassed

I really hate neo prog Evil Smile

Date Posted: July 05 2016 at 02:10
Oh I forgot the last Radiohead ! I didn't expect such a powerful sleeping drug. 

Date Posted: July 05 2016 at 02:51
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Maybe Godbluff would be a good one to find a suitable track for Nat's wants. No, I hadn't listened to early Spock's Beard (or barely). Only album I have had of Spock's Beard is Snow, and Spock's Beard was recommended specifically to me back then because I was a Gentle Giant fan, and the album just didn't meet my expectations, unlike say Et Cetera https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3tOes0y2hQ" rel="nofollow - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3tOes0y2hQ , but it's not like I requested a clone. I discovered another modern band back that had some of the same spirit back then called Miriodor, also from Quebec, that exceeded any expectations.
I have these two you mentioned and the first two and I prefer much more the later, the GG influences are more evident on these ones too, in my opinion. I never heard Et Cetera before, awesome music Thumbs Up

Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

I'd love to love Pink Floyd, but every time I listen to them, I fall asleep. Embarrassed Same with TD.Embarrassed
What's wrong with that? It's great music to fall asleep Tongue What do you think of this one?

Date Posted: July 05 2016 at 05:41
Oh it's brutal ! I'm going to fall asleep all of a sudden  Wink

Posted By: altaeria
Date Posted: July 05 2016 at 08:26
For the person (people) who dislike (haven't yet appreciated) 
Van Der Graaf Generator ... 

Please listen to the ENTIRE song before you judge. 
Remember-- We're dealing with Prog music here.  Wink  

Posted By: zravkapt
Date Posted: July 05 2016 at 09:39

-------------
Magma America Great Make Again

Posted By: zravkapt
Date Posted: July 05 2016 at 09:41

Radiohead ! I didn't expect such a powerful sleeping drug. 

-------------
Magma America Great Make Again

Date Posted: July 05 2016 at 09:55
I still listen to Kid A & Amnesiac with a great pleasure. But Moon ... I got lost in Nigel Godrich's fog.

Date Posted: July 05 2016 at 10:26

I've often thought that it would be an interesting exercise to review albums by bands that I dislike, but sitting through a whole album by a band that I dislike and then having to review it would not be fun (to be honest, I don't even much like reviewing albums I love). I've also often thought that it would be neat to hear more in-depth commentary about music that people dislike.

This is what I went by. I thought that a lot of what you wrote after that was trying to make excuses for what you wrote, and what it supposedly meant.

I am a writer. I'm honest with my feelings and myself. I do my best to ensure that my words do not mis-represent what I am trying to say, but the one thing, you can not state, is that I am not honest about my feelings, and going around saying that you are this or that, or Dean, or whoever, is pointless and above all, totally counter productive.

In essence, and I understand this as well as you and anyone else, we are all IMPORTANT to this, in our own way, even though sometimes it feels like we're trying to elevate ourselves over the music ... and I do my best NOT to do that.

This is about the art and its form, and I tend to consider that "sacred". Thus, I am not going to say that your child's painting is not Picasso (of course it's not!), but to go around telling that child that an artist you are not, when you never know how the kid will grow up ... is where I draw the line!

Inspiration is one of the things that is lacking in the arts, and a lot of it, is because we're making many of those folks become "self-conscious" when they are creating and composing things, and the last thing that we want to do is ... stop them, and slow it down to break it and prevent it from being born into fruition.

This is just about a healthy respect for the art form, not a preference for a "song" or an "album".

I saw, sadly enough, on a top FM radio station, in the 70's and early 80's, what some people do to "music", and sometimes, we're doing the same thing here ... and I find that really sad. 

Today, I feel vindicated, as do many other folks along with me, for the attitude by many folks that thought so much music was crap, because they did not like the song ... or understand the album. I can remember when "Crime of the Century" came out ... and no one was playing it ... and my roomie was listening to it prior to going on the air, and he had tears in his eyes ... and he went on, and played the album in its entirety that night, and then repeated some pieces later in the morning ... and the album became a hit a bit after that. And that was just ONE ... of the things that I saw suffer some horrible and disrespectful comments.

I do not go around trashing Lynard Skynard, or the Rolling Stones ... I will poke a slight jab here or there, but in general, they have a right to do the music ... and the only thing that you and I are not doing ... is admitting to ourselves ... that they were able to do the music ... and we did not even try! I did try, and am still trying, and I am writing like crazy ... reviews included ... but I am not going to trash the very hand that feeds my very soul!

Sorry about the length ... but in the end, it is not about finding an excuse to say, things that are un-necessary ... the type of things you would not do to a daughter or son! 

They are all ... my family! And I love and respect them for that! Regardless of how they turned out!

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: July 11 2016 at 12:25
I'm still trying to figure out your response, as we do still seem to be talking at cross-purposes.   A lot of what you are saying just doesn't seem to address my intentions at all (but then I'm running off on tangents myself, which is my wont). Would be great to have another voice to bring a level of synthesis or clarity to this particular discussion. It's an interesting philosophical discussion, but I'm trying to fugue out exactly where our ideas are at odds with each-other (I guess it has more to do do with the way we go about it).

Sorry snipping:

Originally posted by Moshkito Moshkito wrote:

This is about the art and its form, and I tend to consider that "sacred". Thus, I am not going to say that your child's painting is not Picasso (of course it's not!), but to go around telling that child that an artist you are not, when you never know how the kid will grow up ... is where I draw the line!

I would not do that, and I'm not sure where you're getting that. Tastes are subjective and I would never say someone is not an artist just because it doesn't appeal to me. In fact, I wouldn't say it at all unless I know that someone had never attempted any kind of art yet claimed to be an artist. I have criticised people who claimed to be experts or knowledgeable about something that they were clearly ignorant about (corrected the assumptions)-- I have never thought that all opinions are equal, informed opinions are worth more. And I don't like it when someone claims that something is bad just because they don't like it (subjectivity vs. objectivity). By saying that I don't care for something is not a judgement on the objective worth of a band, merely its personal worth to me. There's a big difference, but this really is a digression....

I wasn't making excuses, I was trying my best to explain my intent with this topic in my response to you, which was intended to be a positive exercise in re-evaluating our notions of bands and hopefully finding music that we do like from bands that had so far not appealed to our tastes. I discovered more for me to like about Spock's Beard (found music I really do appreciate), but I didn't think that the band was bad or needed improvement (that was not the issue). Yes, they could make changes to appeal more to my tastes, but why would or should they? They have many fans, and are making the music they and many people want them too. Why would I criticize them for that? And the kind of person who would think that someone should stop making music just because it doesn't appeal to their tastes thinks in a very alien way to me. I am a big supporter of freedom of artistic expression even when I may be offended by some of it (in some cases I haven't supported it which sometimes put me at odds with the Civil Liberties association as I felt that it was too harmful). Even freedom of speech, which is such an essential part of a free society and democracy, practically must have its limits.

It goes without saying that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and it's fine to have different tastes. What we like is subjective, but I know that perceptions can shift. Incidentally, the topic title is poor, instead of "Song reviews of bands we don't like", it would have been better expressed as "Reviews of songs by bands that we don't currently appreciate". This would imply better that it may be that we simply haven't delved enough into the music yet or simply have not acquired the taste yet, but want recommendations to maybe find music that we will appreciate (it shows an openness). And when I usually say that I don't like something, I usually try to give reasons why, which is a way of opening myself up to discussion as I am interested and hearing what others have to say, maybe re-evaluating my thoughts, finding a new perspective and insights, and discovering that there's more to something than I thought. It's also a very sociable way to engage people in discussion. I don't say "this sucks, end of story".

For me there is almost always something to like when you dig deep enough, look at it in a certain way, or just look in the right places. No one has trashed anything in this thread or said anything about musicians not having the right to make the kind of music that they want to (no artist needs to please everybody and I think that those who try to are almost certainly bound to fail -- I can respect and appreciate an artist's vision or product without necessarily enjoying it). Those who don't have thick enough skins to take criticism probably won't find success. Not only will it affect their motivation, but they are less likely to be open to learning and self-appraisal (I think some change their vision too much because of others desires, but there's a balance needed in our life's journey).

I'm actually not comfortable formally critiquing music as I haven't an academic background in it (I did do film studies, though, sadly, I didn't get to major in it).

There is nothing here that I would criticize my daughter and son for saying, as I try to teach them to think critically and keep an open mind. Question everything, I say, though my wife rather hates that I tell them that since it would be so much easier if they would follow us more. Sometimes I tell them that ultimately they have to accept certain things as requirements. I'm not religious, but I've loved this: "God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

I tell my children that it's fine not to like something, but not to confuse subjectivity with objectivity (understand issues of taste). I do tell them that they should be polite and thoughtful when talking to people and bringing up criticisms (think about how they react to it and think about what they are trying to say). I rather wish I could pass my kids on to you for a couple days, maybe from you they would find some new perspectives (I wouldn't, because I don't really know you, nor do you know me).

I am critical of what my children produce, but in a constructive way to help them improve, as I would have with my students (but that analogy doesn't really work as I'm not trying to help the musicians to improve, unlike my children). Sometimes musicians, and others, have asked me for advice, and I've been overly critical. I tried to hard to think of things that I thought could be maybe improved -- and then realized how stupid and wrong I was later on. Sometimes in those cases I listened with the wrong ears as I tried to listen too critically which ended up being more about my ego than encouraging and helping others -- it seemed good intentions to me at the time, but the wrong approach. It's like that proverb, "The road to hell is paved with good intentions".

I wish I could find a balance of honesty and piety in writing and in discussion, but I long gave up on the dream of writing professionally (though I do edit other people's writing for a living, which is funny cause I ramble when I write here). I'm not as direct as I often would like to be because I do always fear offending people (part of having a level of social anxiety I suppose).

Anyway, this may be my last post in this thread. I am pleased with the people who have taken part in the exercise.

-------------

Date Posted: July 11 2016 at 17:40
Thumbs Up

Date Posted: July 12 2016 at 00:09

Thumbs Up

It's good to understand the subjective nature of it all. 

All I can tell you is that our house, had a very big library of literature (over 40k books of Portuguese, Spanish and Brazilian material) and to this day, I can not look at all this, and think ... it's all crap. We might not like some of it, but in the end, we can not stop anyone's ability from putting it out and sharing it with the public.

The same for music, for which we also had over 3K albums of classical music, with over 200 operas. After a while, there is no such thing as "bad", since ALL OF IT, is just different, though you might like Beethoven better than Stravinsky and I prefer Stravinsky over Beethoven.

To me, it's like going back, and say that this and that by one of those giants is not good. In the end, our comments do not matter at all ... but for me, it goes like this:

Please don't dominate the rap,Jack
If you got nothing new to say
If you please, go back up the track
This train got to run today

Spent a little time on the mountain
Spent a little time on the hill
Heard some say: "Better run away"
Others say: "Better Stand still"

Now I don't know, but I been told
It's hard to run with the weight of gold
On the other hand, I've heard it said
It's just as hard with the weight of lead.

have a terrifically wonderful day ... this has been a very nice discussion, even if we might not agree wholeheartedly. I think we're saying almost the same thing.

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: July 12 2016 at 00:53
A last word or few. A poem, unfortunately untranslatable in English. I'm a writer too. 

COPIER

Erre l'artiste dans le potager,

Cherche beauté, endives Warhol

Passe en revue les magazines,

S'arrête au seuil, critique,

Lève les yeux au ciel, s'isole,

Se croit à l'abri, dégringole.

Il est couché là, à ses pieds,

Le tableau qu'il vient d'achever,

Cerné de feuilles, comme encadré,

Ombre athlétique de sa pensée.

Se pourrait-il que j'ai copié, rien inventé ?

Le même bleu devant, derrière mes yeux ?

Etrange ressemblance, semblant d'étrangeté.

Est-ce un faux air, suis-je faussaire ?

Où suis-je sampleur comme toi,

Ne me le reproche pas, non, ne me le reproche pas. 

Date Posted: July 12 2016 at 09:36

A last word or few. A poem, unfortunately untranslatable in English. I'm a writer too. 

COPIER

Erre l'artiste dans le potager,

Cherche beauté, endives Warhol

Passe en revue les magazines,

S'arrête au seuil, critique,

Lève les yeux au ciel, s'isole,

Se croit à l'abri, dégringole.

Il est couché là, à ses pieds,

Le tableau qu'il vient d'achever,

Cerné de feuilles, comme encadré,

Ombre athlétique de sa pensée.

Se pourrait-il que j'ai copié, rien inventé ?

Le même bleu devant, derrière mes yeux ?

Etrange ressemblance, semblant d'étrangeté.

Est-ce un faux air, suis-je faussaire ?

Où suis-je sampleur comme toi,

Ne me le reproche pas, non, ne me le reproche pas. 

I can probably give this a go, but it would be rough, very rough, as my French is not up to snuff, but my sister is in Paris, and is an artist and probably can do this real easy ... she works in translations and teaching English and what not around Paris.

I have the same problem with Portuguese, as the verb usage at times is really pushing the levels of understanding, and making it really hard to explain/express in English, however, a bad translation, at times, is better than none. 

Same thing happened on a Camoes poem (Alma Minha Gentil), where the translations are awful, when it might be best to let go the rhyme and meter, and just plain out translate it. At least one would get the better idea of what it is about, instead of having some kind of flowery BS in the translations. My dad's Shakespeare's translations are not exactly literal, but they are closer to the wording, than anything else, as well. Reading them, I can see the difference, but it does not hurt Willie on the stage for my tastes ... the story still comes through, though a few sets of words do not. And somehow, this is what I think of music ... the lyrics might not make it through, but I can close my eyes, and still fly to ANGE, BANCO, AMON DUUL 2 and such, because the music itself is so evocative.

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: July 14 2016 at 01:28
I can't imagine what would be my record collection if I understood all the languages.

Date Posted: July 14 2016 at 09:56

I can't imagine what would be my record collection if I understood all the languages.

Gosh ... I have so many languages in my collection, I shudder to think how many!

NP: Alan Stivell

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: July 14 2016 at 15:47
I'm just saying that idiot lyrics can spoil a nice melody. I gave up many French prog for that reason, most to tell the truth. 

Posted By: Mascodagama
Date Posted: July 15 2016 at 10:40

I'm just saying that idiot lyrics can spoil a nice melody. I gave up many French prog for that reason, most to tell the truth. 

Indeed, I actually have a bit of a preference bands who sing in languages I don't understand for just this reason.  

It's also why I have to pretend to myself that I don't understand English when I listen to Yes Wink

Date Posted: July 15 2016 at 13:46
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

Indeed, I actually have a bit of a preference bands who sing in languages I don't understand for just this reason.  

It's also why I have to pretend to myself that I don't understand English when I listen to Yes Wink

It's kind of what I do when listening to something that different. In the end, "music" is a communication form that is the oldest language in the world, but we have gotten stuck on the semantics, instead of listening and hearing the music itself.

I know this sounds weird, but this is probably something that came out of the "greek chorus", which I'm willing to bet was some kind of bad translation of the original shows, that used to masks to tell us someone was sad, and the chorus would not be needed to tell us why! However, from my experience, the main reason why some folks don't like other musics? They do not close their eyes and listen to the music, and try to interpret it in their own language instead ... and of course, that is not hard, but is not something that we are taught during our growing up, thus appreciation of things like "music", become an intellectual idea that we have to ask our friends about, instead of us "knowing" it for ourselves.

This is one of the toughest and most difficult challenges for a reviewer ... listening to Banco, or PFM and comparing it to ELP, means you are not listening. They were far more inspired by their own history of music, and the development of rock music, to copy one band! But we still, at times, see reviews, that can only do this, and it's not fair. Italy has a history of music that is millennia long. Rock music is just a bittie part in it. To think it is better, or a copy of something else, means, in general, that one has not heard the previous Italian music!

You, yourself, would not like it, if you were from the South Pole and created some music because you had a computer and an organ VST, and now everyone says that you copied the BlahBlah band! And you never heard them before, or have any idea who they were! Or from where, for that matter! But you thought it was cool to pound a keyboard!

Reviewing is about appreciating the music. Putting it down does no one any good. The commercial top ten thing, constantly putting down something and supporting their own bands, is out of hand, and we need to get control over it ourselves. It starts with us. Or as I like to say "YOU".

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Tarkus58
Date Posted: July 27 2016 at 02:21
Anything by Rush, how on earth these are considered prog and not just AOR I'll never understand, it's so simplistic, 'prog' by numbers just like Kansas etc.
I can't review it although I was bought the three sector boxes for Christmas about three years ago, because quite frankly it's unlistenable!

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: July 27 2016 at 06:51
A first posting like this is gonna make you lots of friends... LOL

Anyway welcome from somebody who is rather lukewarm on Rush!

Date Posted: July 27 2016 at 09:28
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

A first posting like this is gonna make you lots of friends... LOL

Anyway welcome from somebody who is rather lukewarm on Rush!

Again, this is, for me, the issue.

I do not dislike RUSH, however, I find no need to review their work.

My main questions are, why review something you don't like, or care for, when there is so much material out there that you want to review?

That, in its own right, does not mean I don't like RUSH, or KANSAS or many of the bands that in some ways, might be considered less important in the larger scheme of things, but their amount of work is very good, and they deserve some credit along the way for their ability. 

It's the same for others, like Spock's Beard, Transatlantic, and bands that can easily be considered half way there, but in the end, their work deserves some attention, but writing a review that says ... they sound like ELP, or Genesis, and have a terrible lead singer, is not really a review ... it's just a personal opinion, and that is not going to help the furthering of the "progressive music" that you and I love so much. A lot of folks also thought PG/Chappo/Cocker and many others had horrible voices, too!

Thus, even though I have many of those albums, reviewing them is just not there for me tat this time. 

Another example, for me, is the Henry Cow/Slapp Happy grouping. While there are a couple of fine things in there, that are really different, too much of it is like hearing so many graduate students in college work on their own music, and dissonance and odd mixes. I simply do not find that as interesting, and challenging, as I would something like TFTO ... on a compositional scale. BUT, that's my preference. The ego centered music thing in grad school, was pathetic, boring, and horribly mis-guided, and I do not find the Henry Cow/Slapp Happy folks that far apart from them. 

But that's my perception, and it could be incorrect, and I accept that, but I have never read, or found, anything that could explain that stuff any better for my noodles! In some ways, it is sooooooo 20th century "anti-music", it's not funny! And then here come the comments about the French!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Modrigue
Date Posted: July 27 2016 at 09:48
Originally posted by Tarkus58 Tarkus58 wrote:

Anything by Rush, how on earth these are considered prog and not just AOR I'll never understand, it's so simplistic, 'prog' by numbers just like Kansas etc

You totally have the right to dislike Rush, but do you find 2112, Cygnus X-1, La Villa Strangiato or YYZ simplistic music?

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqf2srRfppHAslEmHBn8QP6d_eoanh0eW" rel="nofollow - My compositions

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: July 27 2016 at 10:09
moshkito: Quite generally on negative reviews, somewhat off topic in this thread but anyway...

I tend to read reviews before I make decisions whether to buy something, to watch a film, or even to put more than 2 minutes into listening to something in order to see whether it could develop into something I like. Life is just to short to listen to everything properly.

As a reader of reviews, I see that people rather tend to write positive reviews (which is quite natural a) for the reasons you mention and b) because people know the stuff they like just better, so they have more competence to write a review), which is OK to some extent, but I'm very keen to find some critical voices, because looking at the reasons why some people criticise some stuff gives me a clearer idea of whether I might like it or not. In any case, positive or negative, of course, what is important about a review is some detail, not just whether it's good or bad, but still, in a world with a clear majority of positive reviews, a (well written) negative review gives me better information  on average.

And then also, if I already know something, I am interested in what other people make of it, positive or negative, and the negative stuff is usually just as entertaining and enlightening as the positive stuff.

So keep on writing critical reviews guys!

Date Posted: July 27 2016 at 10:29
Originally posted by Modrigue Modrigue wrote:

Anything by Rush, how on earth these are considered prog and not just AOR I'll never understand, it's so simplistic, 'prog' by numbers just like Kansas etc

You totally have the right to dislike Rush, but do you find 2112, Cygnus X-1, La Villa Strangiato or YYZ simplistic music?

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with disliking any band, but are we listening to the same band? Rush is a far cry from Kansas and simplicity. 

Posted By: Magnum Vaeltaja
Date Posted: July 27 2016 at 13:20

These four songs are outliers of sorts, but they aren't harmonically complex in the slightest (except maybe the guitar solo in YYZ). These tracks are mostly just power chords and pentatonic licks, with the only real complexity being in the rhythmic changes/time signatures. And that's only 4 songs out of how large of a musical catalog? 

Rush is admirable as a hard rock band but I don't think they're really as "proggy" as most make them out to be.

-------------
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents

Posted By: Terrapin Station
Date Posted: July 28 2016 at 05:47
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

These four songs are outliers of sorts, but they aren't harmonically complex in the slightest (except maybe the guitar solo in YYZ). These tracks are mostly just power chords and pentatonic licks, with the only real complexity being in the rhythmic changes/time signatures. And that's only 4 songs out of how large of a musical catalog? 

Rush is admirable as a hard rock band but I don't think they're really as "proggy" as most make them out to be.
It's not just those four songs, but I'd agree that Rush become much more of an AOR band from Signals on . . . which of course wasn't an unusual thing for the most famous prog bands to do by the end of the 70s/early 80s.  Rush is relatively unusual, though, in that they didn't really try to go back to their proggier roots later.

Also, not that I think there's anything wrong with AOR, and I like Rush from Signals on at least as much as I like earlier Rush.

Also also, I don't define prog based on complexity in any manner.  In a nutshell, I define it simply by (a) musicians wanting to break away from traditional pop song structures, especially if they're approaching that in at all of an experimental, "let's try this and see what happens" way (although I'd say that more or less mimicking the results of others who did this counts, too), and typically (b) melding elements of other genres with pop-rock.

Date Posted: July 28 2016 at 05:52
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

It's the same for others, like Spock's Beard, Transatlantic, and bands that can easily be considered half way there, but in the end, their work deserves some attention, but writing a review that says ... they sound like ELP, or Genesis, and have a terrible lead singer, is not really a review ... it's just a personal opinion
How could you write a review without personal opinions?  All you'd be able to say are things like, "This is their fourth album.  It was recorded in March and April of 2016 in New York City.  So and so plays guitar on it." That wouldn't be much of a review.

Date Posted: July 28 2016 at 06:00
Re the topic of the thread, by the way, I can typically find some value in any music, especially anything professionally released/distributed.  There certainly isn't any music I hate, and I don't even really dislike anything.  There are things I'm kind of indifferent towards, but I like/listen to a bit of just about every genre (there are probably some very specific/new subgenres I'm missing, but just because I'm not aware of them).  So I'm not sure what I'd review for this.

Date Posted: July 28 2016 at 08:03
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

As a reader of reviews, I see that people rather tend to write positive reviews (which is quite natural a) for the reasons you mention and b) because people know the stuff they like just better, so they have more competence to write a review), which is OK to some extent, but I'm very keen to find some critical voices, because looking at the reasons why some people criticise some stuff gives me a clearer idea of whether I might like it or not. In any case, positive or negative, of course, what is important about a review is some detail, not just whether it's good or bad, but still, in a world with a clear majority of positive reviews, a (well written) negative review gives me better information  on average.

Hi,

This is where a review BECOMES a review.

You make it sound like that I can not write a review of a FELLINI film, or a BERGMAN film, and that it all has to be "positive", and not "critical". CRITICAL, is not positive or negative, and it is an observatory comment. For example, I can tell you that Gaspar Noe's camera style is incredibly confusing, and disturbing, and makes for a dizzy experience, because it is too much to see, and in many ways so close to your own experience, if you are fainting, or at any time "lost it", and fell. But that is not necessarily a bad comment, specially if it is used to an amazing effect, within the film, which makes you go ... is it good or is it bad? ... and you can not make that distinction, because the whole thing is so "experimental" as to throw your idea about "movies" out the door in 20 seconds, and that is a fantasy (just like rock music!) that you and I are not very good at letting go.

I can, easily write a review about any of those bands, and the only time I have turned down a review, was for a bunch of material that came from WAYSIDE, and it all sounded like to me, like 2nd rate Zappa jazz wannabee's, and I simply could not get a good feel for it. Did not in any way, think that any of those folks were not good, they were quite good, but just not something I could wrap my words around to make them be worth their ability.

This is important, sometimes, in understanding film reviews. The same director is not the same from film to film, except in Hollywood and Bollywood and Anime, and unfortunately, you might not be totally familiar with "world cinema", since your view of music suggests that you can only find critical reviews in someone's negative comments. There is nothing positive or negative about a "critical" review, as it is, for the most part, an evaluation of my own understanding, and has nothing less to do with the artist, than my reaction to it.

Again, there is very little music that I dislike anywhere ... although I like to make fun of Metallica and the like, but in general, it's all good. I just do not feel the need to burden you with thoughts that are not a good description, or evaluation of the work itself. My personal ideas are one thing ... but they are not a "review", in any way, shape or form ... and this is the difference between a "review" and for the most part the rest ... "crap".

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: July 28 2016 at 08:31

Anything by Rush, how on earth these are considered prog and not just AOR I'll never understand, it's so simplistic, 'prog' by numbers just like Kansas etc.
I can't review it although I was bought the three sector boxes for Christmas about three years ago, because quite frankly it's unlistenable!

I'm curious what you do and do not consider to be "prog" because there is a wide variety of music out there (Not simply Rush only) that is so varied and still considered to be prog. I'm certain I don't need to tell you that. 

Is Rush Prog like Gentle Giant is prog? Hell no, but that fact doesn't mean that Rush isn't prog (at least at some points in their career)

Date Posted: July 28 2016 at 22:43
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

You don't have to be complex to be progressive. As long as one has a new idea, or takes two old ideas and blends them in unique ways, that fits the definition of progressive imo. 

Date Posted: July 29 2016 at 09:11

You don't have to be complex to be progressive. As long as one has a new idea, or takes two old ideas and blends them in unique ways, that fits the definition of progressive imo. 

And sometimes, the simplest part ... is what we remember and make that whole piece the progressive icon that we like!

Aren't we weird, or what?

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: March 23 2018 at 11:38
Anyone else want to give this a try? The idea is not about saying bad things about music, the idea is that we may gain new appreciation of music if we keep an open mind, and maybe are recommended the right music by an artist/band so our opinion of the artist becomes more positive (one may dislike what one's heard of a band but be exposed to something that we can appreciate). If it doesn't work for us, that's fine too as to each his or her own tastes.

Again:
- Mention a band,or several, you have negative opinions of from a Prog category you have likes in (it works better if the band has a fairly large and varied discography and you have not listened to some albums by the band)
- Someone post a track (embed or hyperlink, url) from the band someone said they disliked
- Listen to it, then review or post impressions of the track that was posted in response to you.

If you're posting a track in response, please do try to mention your own dislikes. And do try to take the person's tastes into account when choosing a track if possible.

Prog is like a box of chocolates, you never quite know what you're going to get unless you know it all. It's fine not liking something, but at least I would hope that someone could find some merits in the work (this does work best if in your song mini-review you try to be positive and constructive).

-------------

Posted By: HolyMoly
Date Posted: March 24 2018 at 21:52
Maybe.... but only if Pedro is sleeping

-------------
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran

Date Posted: March 17 2020 at 15:40
I was reminded me of this topic with the "bands you tried hard to get into, but couldn't" topic. This topic was meant to help in that process by fine-tuning recommendations and have a conversational angle. This did end up being a bit of a failed experiment since I think my original post in coordination with the topic title might have been misunderstood, and in trying to clarify my intent I may have muddied the waters more and been talking at cross-purposes. Had I used the word feedback in my topic title instead of review, that might have cleared it up (I had hoped my OP would make my intent clear enough).

To reiterate, the idea is:

a) Mention an act, or several, you have negative opinions of from a Prog category you have likes in (it works better if the band/ artist has a fairly large and varied discography and you have not listened to some albums by the band). Also, mention what you don't like about the act's music so maybe we can avoid those qualities in recommendations to you. If you don't like any Prog Metal and mention a Prog Metal band you don't like, then that is less likely to lead to a positive outcome.

b) Someone else post a track (embed or hyperlink, url) from the band someone said they disliked and take into account what they said they didn't like about the band, and it helps if you have a a decent feel for that persons tastes.

C) The person who mentioned a band that he or she doesn't like should then listen to the "recommendation" from the respondent,, then review/ post impressions of the track in this thread that was posted in response to you.

If you're posting a track in response, please consider mentioning your own dislikes if you have any you want give another shot. And do try to take the person's tastes into account when choosing a track if possible. It is easier when you know something of that person's taste. It doesn't have to be a long track review, it's more about just sharing your impressions, good or bad, or maybe a bit of both.

I've found something to like by every band that I put significant effort into researching/ listening to, and I can't think of anything for myself now. I had mentioned Spock's Beard, but the recommendation was good one that I did appreciate, that didn't make a Spock's Beard fan even though I liked the track, but I wouldn't easily dismiss the band now. Probably this wont be useful to people.

-------------

Date Posted: March 17 2020 at 16:05
Here's an example:

Fred F.: "I don't like VdGG because of those bloody annoying vocals. I think I'd like the band if it was just instrumental."

Barney R: "Fred, VdGG did come out with instrumental music too. You could try ALT, or maybe you'd like 'Theme One'.

"

Fred F: "Oh man, Barney, that stone age rubble rocks! It's prehistoric good. I like the way the instruments are there, but with no vocals to get in the way. Those swirling keyboard sounds, and that noise that kind of builds and goes places, and does all sorts of stuff before it stops. Yeah, I'm digging this. It kind of appeals to my "Peaches en Regalia" fruity sensibilities. Maybe now I'll go back to the music with vocals and give that a try. Thanks, and sorry again for what happened with Betty. We'd be drinking copious amounts of dino juice, the moon was full, a Phil "Caveman" Collins ballad was playing, and one thing led to another."

Barney R: "Glad you enjoyed it, and no worries. Wilma and I got you back anyway. I think it ended up being fun all around. We should do it more often."

-------------

Date Posted: March 17 2020 at 18:34

Here's an example:...

Hi,

I guess that I listen to all music with a certain kind of appreciation and attention that does not quite make any ideas for saying something different about it ... to me, as in theater and film, it is all about the DIFFERENCE, and how we take a look at it, since one day you turn around, and the music makes sense, and we never saw that ... which is the opposite of your idea, that tomorrow I might find that something I did 45 years ago, I did not like and will today, or vice versa.

I don't go into "listening" as if it was not its own person. I go into it for its own touch, feel, and version of the visuals that music grants me. THIS IS VERY DIFFERENT THAN WHAT YOU HEAR/GET HERE, where people are looking for "familiar" materials instead of "newer" materials, which makes/allows for disappointments and dislikes, and I don't do that with the arts ... I don't separate any of it by a designation, that for my tastes had very little artistic merit! It has a top ten ideal and design and concept ... not an artistic one! And this fragmentation of the listeners is hard and harsh in my way of seeing things. There will always be a "review" of that place in time, and how you liked this and that, and I do not have that view ... I saw a lot of things, and did my best to enjoy all of them ... but the stuff that I did not think was that good, or great, I left. This was the case at the time, when I thought that it was sad that at the Whiskey, Babe Ruth got boo'ed and asked to leave the stage and the band and Janita Hahn put on a show that made Iggy and the Stooges look sad and poor and ... I didn't think that it was about the music at that point! There were way too many bands doing the same thing ... but they didn't have Iggy!

In my whole collection, if there is something that seems strange and weird to me, is how Pete Brown sounded fine for Cream and terrible in a whole bunch other albums ... and I'm not sure it was his words, other than maybe folks could not understand him, and CREAM did? Or another one that is perpetually impossible to discuss is how PF for an album and a half could COLOR anything Syd threw at them, and in the end, on his solo albums just about no one could color anything ... and that's probably the only two things that are a bit strange, weird and off kilter in my collection, but I don't know how to write a review of Syd's albums ... and then reading that wonderful comment from Robert Wyatt in his book about Syd, makes the whole thing even worse ... it's like ... is everyone else sitting in this room with Syd an idiot that doesn't know music? I suppose we could say they didn't know Syd ... but what came out, generally, was a bunch of people looking for a "song" and not finding anything, which SADLY made Syd look even worse!

I've been around too much theater and film ... and I have come to appreciate too many things, and too many countries and their way in film, or music, to be concerned with something as (maybe) petty and weird that I felt about it 45 years ago ... I didn't even think The Living Theater or the ETC La Mama Group or The National Theater of the Deaf were weird, or some of the articles in the Theater Review, of which I have over 50 issues from the late 70's and early 80's and the incredible look at some experimental stuff ... that we (could say) might not have an ear for ... and for that reason, I do not criticize it ... there is always something far out in it!

For the most part, all of the reviews, in film or theater I have done, have held up fairly well ... I still look at 2001 as a "false idol" for out imagination and Apocalypse Now as a bad abomination that did not help out our own view on things ... we ended up impressed with the pyrotechnics and the far out bits and pieces about dope, and napalm ... it kinda romanticized the war for all of us ... and I find that scary!

I still love every bit of every album I have, and the music I have heard ... I might ask why the heck Kevin or Roy have bits and pieces about the loo in there, but I'm not going to write a review ... that this is bad and shouldn't be here ... for whatever reason it is there and I'm OK with that!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: March 17 2020 at 18:55

Here's an example:...

Hi....

Hello.

I'll give the rest a good read and think later, but I don't want to risk us talking at cross-purposes again in this thread. I often do find that the most interesting discussion does happen in the digressions, and I don't wish to be fascistic in asking people to try to stick to the programme. I think we definitely started off on the wrong foot in this thread when I made it, and hoped this time my little experiment might work better.

That said, I do want to make it clear that I do appreciate anyone who takes the time to read, think about, and comment on my topics. I often do put a fair amount of time and thought into them, even if they seem like they were written by a Chimpanzee, or lesser ape, with cognitive impairment.

While this is different from what what I was asking, maybe I can get the ball rolling this way. The furry topic put this band in mind. While I love plenty of Krautrock, I don't like Grumbling Fur because, well, actually it's only because I've never listened to the band. It's a band from the UK included in Krautrock. I tend to like psychedelic and fairly experimental music, so if someone can come up with a track by Grumbling Fur that they think might appeal to me, please link to it, or embed it, and I will post my impressions of the music (my mini review of the track) in this thread. Thanks.

-------------

Posted By: dougmcauliffe
Date Posted: March 18 2020 at 06:53
Flower Kings for me... and please no 30 minute songs

-------------
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes

Date Posted: March 18 2020 at 16:29
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Scratch my "Fur" request, unless someone happens to know it and posts here, as The Flower Kings would have been a better ask. It does fit the bill for me. I did buy, I think it was Space Revolver around 2005 since I wanted to modernise my "prog" tastes, but found it noodly, too derivative, and uninteresting. And I have given it some other shots, but I don't remember what. That was a long time ago and my ears might respond differently now. Shorter is probably better for me too (a tight one with some interesting and unexpected twists and turns perhaps or, conversely, something straight-forward). Perhaps this can act as a two-fer, unless one recommends something from Space Revolver to Doug. That said, I haven't listened to that album in very long, and so I can't say quite how I would react now (my tastes are generally rather less experimental than they were then).

-------------

Date Posted: March 19 2020 at 08:41

Hi,

That is so weird for me ... but then, I was brought up in classical music and seeing 3K LP's and about 200 operas and having heard a lot of it in my young years, is very different by the time I started listening to stuff that was way better than the top ten crap. 

I believed, and still do, that many of those folks doing alternative stuff then, were simply trying to match up their musical knowledge and putting it to better use than a simple 4/4 and 4 track mind of rock'n'roll mentality.

I seriously doubt that length had anything to do with anything else ... other than the (internal) "story" that the band may have wished to do ... but we might as well trash GENESIS for long cuts in Supper's Ready or many other bands for doing full sides ... and all I can think of is that the majority of these folks worried about length were brought up in the 4 minute time span for most music in the top ten ... and this will hurt their appreciation, LATER, or other musics like classical, and other things that have length in them!

NONE OF US IN THE OLD DAYS ... WORRIED ABOUT THE LONG CUTS ... that was fabricated later by Rolling Stone and New Music Express and Melody Maker because it was hurting the sales of the bands they were supposed to be selling ... remember these magazines were a part of the music companies, not outsiders writing something that the record company did not want!

A review not happy with length, is not a review ... it's someone that doesn't like/understand the visual element in a lot of music ... I guess ... some see it and some don't! But if you can't stand length, you will never hear classical music! 

What a great loss for many ears out there ... it's not their "style"!!!

Some of the best examples in the visual side of things, are not even discussed here ... because everyone thinks it is too subjective ... but I don't know of any DOORS pieces of music that are long that you have to be "subjective" to ... because all it says is that the lyrics stopped you cold! And yeah ... some lines are tough/rough but ... here comes the best part of the trip ... and you're gonna miss it!

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: March 19 2020 at 12:36
Again, by review I just meant share your impressions of the track in this thread. It doesn't have to be a proper review of a song/track, and could be one word or 500 (preferably it would be more than one word).

As I wrote in my opening post, "So I thought it might be fun to post a Prog band, or a Prog album (or several), that one has been dismissive of, or hated, and then another post would link to, say, a particular track from the band/artist on youtube, then that person would write a little review, or impressions of the music after thoroughly listening to it. I would try to avoid really long tracks in response."

A reason why I suggested from the outset avoiding long tracks partially has to do with time (both in terms of listening and commenting). These are already acts that didn't appeal, and it didn't want to feel like a slog. With shorter ones I thought the exercise might be more fun and get into a faster rhythm of asking for a suggestion with some clarification of what one hopes for, getting a response, then responding to the suggestion.   

With The Flower Kings too, they can make really long, and I'd day noodley pieces, and I'd rather hear the tighter but perhaps pregnant with ideas, ones from them. One could also link to a long track and say, "Listen to it from 5:50 to 10:40, I think you'll like that", which might open up a whole track and then a whole album for someone. Sometimes it's the musical moments that can open up larger pieces for me (something clicks, I make associations that work for me). One thing that's important to me in such an exercise is not to judge the other person for what they expect, want, like, or dislike. This should be friendly, fun, and easy-going exercise. If someone wants shorter tracks, that's their prerogative. If someone wants a longer track, then they can specify that.

Although there were some successes in this thread, it does seem clear that this is not an experiment that people would generally be interested in trying -- ergo the general lack of on-topic response with two bumps of mine. Mea culpa, I'm not very good at coming up with effective ideas for topics that are a little different from the norm. I'm more idealistic than I am pragmatic.

-------------

Date Posted: March 19 2020 at 12:53

I only listen to Retropolis, it's their most concise effort. It's still over 60 minutes but I can enjoy it on a good day.

Date Posted: March 19 2020 at 12:58

I only listen to Retropolis, it's their most concise effort. It's still over 60 minutes but I can enjoy it on a good day.

Does any particular track stand out for you? If you don't wish to link to it, I'll try to, and give it a go myself since, as said, I have also had issues with The Flower Kings.

EDIT: by the way, looking back on this thread, I really appreciated your contributions to it. The topic got painfully side-tracked at times, and I was reluctant to read back through it, but looking back on it, it worked out pretty well (better than most of my topic ideas). Thanks.

-------------

Date Posted: March 19 2020 at 12:59
Reading my previous posts on this thread, I thought I should say I got into VdGG since then, after listening to "Vital". I found out that my problem wasn't with the vocals but I didn't think it fitted the music around it. I think they're on the same page on that live album though.

Date Posted: March 19 2020 at 13:13

Does any particular track stand out for you? If you don't wish to link to it, I'll try to, and give it a go myself.
Maybe the title track, there's a nice KC flavour to it.

Date Posted: March 19 2020 at 13:31

Does any particular track stand out for you? If you don't wish to link to it, I'll try to, and give it a go myself.
Maybe the title track, there's a nice KC flavour to it.

Thanks Samuel, I'm writing this as listening. I'm two minutes in and enjoying it so far. Its driving, definitely not boring, great musicianship, interesting and noisy in a good way, exciting, good groove, it has a certain KC angularity is a little Vangelis-like Blade Runner flourishes, rather retro in a good way. Interesting moments, nice jazzy touches. I'm digging this, and am now seven minutes in. Despite having different parts and lots of changes, it feels cohesive (like a mini-suite, it's tight). Really nice ending too, which reminds me of some of the music in a little-known classic called Morons From Outer Space.

I really enjoyed that, and I have another band not to dismiss. Thank you so much, mission accomplished, at least when it comes to me. I can't fault it and liked it enough that I will not only return to that but want to listen to the whole album. You get a Micky-sized clappie.

-------------

Date Posted: March 19 2020 at 13:44
I’ll also try that song, I asked for no 30 minute pieces pretty much cause I can’t make a good review off of one listen of a track of that length. And by the chance I don’t like it, I don’t wanna force myself to sit through it multiple times.

-------------

Date Posted: March 19 2020 at 13:54
What was quite delightful about that suggestion for me was that in a recent post in this thread today, I wrote "With The Flower Kings too, they can make really long, and I'd day noodley (sic?) pieces, and I'd rather hear the tighter but perhaps pregnant with ideas, ones from them." That track seems tight and pregnant with ideas to me. It fit my bill better than I expected. I'm not much of a reviewer, so I just tend to post my impressions which usually run along the lines of "Yowza... blah, blah, insert poor reference here, blah, blah, make sad joke sometimes, blah, blah, blah". :)

-------------

Date Posted: March 19 2020 at 16:44
^ It also took me by surprise when I first heard it. I only knew (and was bored by) their later music but I took a chance on that one when I found a bunch of second hand FK CD's on a record store (probably from the same owner). It was the only single album so it seemed less risky. I think, just like with Spock's Beard, there's an enthusiasm on those early albums that is nowhere to be found afterwards. I imagine them saying "let's make yet another Prog album" after a while.

By the way, I'm curious to know what's the album on your avatar.

Concerning my dislikes, I never liked Kayo Dot. It's strange, reading the reviews it really seems like something I'd enjoy but when it comes to listening, I honestly find it repulsive (and I'm used to odd and challenging music). Maybe it's the production values or I don't connect with Toby Driver's artistic vision... or maybe I didn't listen to the right music.

Date Posted: March 19 2020 at 17:56

I’ll also try that song, I asked for no 30 minute pieces pretty much cause I can’t make a good review off of one listen of a track of that length. And by the chance I don’t like it, I don’t wanna force myself to sit through it multiple times.

Bummer .... you'll never sit and listen to Djam Karet's The Trip ... which is magnificent ... but not a prog favorite, because drums don't start for like 13 or 14 minutes into it ... that ought to annoy a few folks!!! Wink

-------------
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: March 19 2020 at 19:18

^ It also took me by surprise when I first heard it. I only knew (and was bored by) their later music but I took a chance on that one when I found a bunch of second hand FK CD's on a record store (probably from the same owner). It was the only single album so it seemed less risky. I think, just like with Spock's Beard, there's an enthusiasm on those early albums that is nowhere to be found afterwards. I imagine them saying "let's make yet another Prog album" after a while.

By the way, I'm curious to know what's the album on your avatar.

Concerning my dislikes, I never liked Kayo Dot. It's strange, reading the reviews it really seems like something I'd enjoy but when it comes to listening, I honestly find it repulsive (and I'm used to odd and challenging music). Maybe it's the production values or I don't connect with Toby Driver's artistic vision... or maybe I didn't listen to the right music.

It took me by surprise, partially because it's what I was hoping for, but not really expecting. It's not like those hopes were totally unrealistic as I had heard music by TFK, Unlike writing, "I haven't liked what I've heard of this brutal death metal band, The Frightfully Fetid Faecal Felon Flayers, because it's brutal and I hate death metal, recommend me something that is melodic, pastoral and of the lounge ilk.: Or as I once seriously did at the forum, asking for harmonious choral death growlers, as unrealistic expectations likely would lead to sure disappointment. I'm getting a bit too fanciful again. Anyway, it was very good stuff, thanks. Much better than I hoped for based on my impressions of TFK. It's a common thing that people judge a band too harshly or too easily without knowing enough material -- I've been guilty of that a number of times, and am very happy when my mind is changed. I prefer to judge albums or even pieces rather than pigeonholing bands whole discographies just based on too limited hearing.

As for my avatar's album cover, it's the soundtrack for Angel's Egg by Yoshihiro Kanno - an anime film.

With Kayo Dot, unlike most, my favourite album was Blue Lambency Downward. His music is often quite ugly.

I don't you expect you to like that, not sure my track choice was even the right one. and I actually don't enjoy the album as much as I once did, but the album definitely has plenty of bits I like at the very least.

-------------

Date Posted: March 20 2020 at 06:39

Bummer .... you'll never sit and listen to Djam Karet's The Trip ... which is magnificent ... but not a prog favorite, because drums don't start for like 13 or 14 minutes into it ... that ought to annoy a few folks!!! Wink

Long songs don’t bother me, they just tend to take me a good amount of time to get into

-------------

Date Posted: March 20 2020 at 09:56

As for my avatar's album cover, it's the soundtrack for Angel's Egg by Yoshihiro Kanno - an anime film.

With Kayo Dot, unlike most, my favourite album was Blue Lambency Downward. His music is often quite ugly.

I don't you expect you to like that, not sure my track choice was even the right one. and I actually don't enjoy the album as much as I once did, but the album definitely has plenty of bits I like at the very least.
Never heard of it but after reading the synopsis I'm intrigued.

I enjoyed it quite a lot, thanks! I definitely like the production and the use of space and tension throughout the piece. It seems to slowly ondulate and I'm sure it would bore a lot of people but not me. I ended up exploring further and I'm listening to Toby Driver's "They Are The Shield". I didn't expect to be so moved by it, I guess I found a side of him I like. Thanks for the push Thumbs Up

Date Posted: March 21 2020 at 19:02

Never heard of it but after reading the synopsis I'm intrigued.

I enjoyed it quite a lot, thanks! I definitely like the production and the use of space and tension throughout the piece. It seems to slowly ondulate and I'm sure it would bore a lot of people but not me. I ended up exploring further and I'm listening to Toby Driver's "They Are The Shield". I didn't expect to be so moved by it, I guess I found a side of him I like. Thanks for the push Thumbs Up

Cool, I'm very glad you appreciated it. I haven't heard that Toby Driver album yet, will check it out, but I meant to mention before that I had preferred his solo work and Tartar Lamb to both Maudlin of the Well and Kayo Dot.

-------------

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: March 22 2020 at 08:34
Hmmm...

I would like to play along. Looks like all the 'don't likes' have been responded to.

I would say Tool, but there is just no way anyone is going to tip that scale for me. So let's go with Mastodon. Everyone who doesn't know me that I try to explain my tastes to is convinced I should like them. I find their music lacks the complexity to allow them to get away with that vocal style. Few bands get a pass on that with me anymore. They have themes that lend themselves to a complex set of compositions, but I have yet to hear them deliver.

I don't recall all the material I have heard, but I am sure I've heard parts of Leviathan and actually have Blood Mountain. Cant get through the first few songs.

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Date Posted: March 22 2020 at 08:51
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Hmmm...

I would like to play along. Looks like all the 'don't likes' have been responded to.

I would say Tool, but there is just no way anyone is going to tip that scale for me. So let's go with Mastodon. Everyone who doesn't know me that I try to explain my tastes to is convinced I should like them. I find their music lacks the complexity to allow them to get away with that vocal style. Few bands get a pass on that with me anymore. They have themes that lend themselves to a complex set of compositions, but I have yet to hear them deliver.

I don't recall all the material I have heard, but I am sure I've heard parts of Leviathan and actually have Blood Mountain. Cant get through the first few songs.

Thanks for playing...

I probably shouldn't be he one to recommend Mastodon as I don't know them as well as many others, but my favourite album of the little I know of theirs was The Hunter (a generally lower rated album). I like the band when it's gentler, not necessarily at its most complex, and like the rather psychedelic qualities of it.

This is a favourite of mine (I find it attractive and it's rather Pink Floydian and the like):

But again, I probably should leave it to others to properly recommend a track that know the band better and can fit it better to what you want.

-------------

Posted By: I prophesy disaster
Date Posted: March 22 2020 at 09:15
I like Mastodon - Crack The Skye a lot. I was initially turned on to them by the "The Czar" with its psychedelic opening, but it is "The Last Baron" that is the true highlight. I like the Sabbathesque sound on the album.

-------------
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: March 22 2020 at 09:35
I would’ve recommended the exact same three tunes from Mastodon

I was very much into Crack The Sky when it came out..but I do have a little problem with the at times 90s grunge-like vocals.
When I listen to Mastodon I mostly focus on the drums.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: March 22 2020 at 19:30
Ok, I listened. The Sparrow really fell flat with me. I really need key changes or rhythmic variance in this style of music. Despite the crescendo into distortion toward the middle of the track, I don't feel it really going anywhere. Thumbs Down

The Czar has essentially one substantial key change in the bridge section. The uptempo section promises some excitement, but really doesn't deliver. And the main vocalist seems like he is pulling his tongue to the rear of his mouth to constrict his airway and deliver a sort nerdy, cottonmouth asking-a-girl-that's-out-of-your-league-on-a-date sound. The pastoral intro would work if it developed into something more musically robust.Thumbs Down  

The Last Baron I actually had to restart because wasn't sure I had actually changed songs. Same key, similar meter in the intros. And again with the vocals. At least it isn't growling. Now, I must admit this song picks up and gets a little more interesting toward the middle. The drumming is fantastic, and there is finally a break with what I call a truly progressive instrumental breakdown. There is this cool thing that happens when the guitars are going heavy ballistic during the breakdown when there are these really high chimes ringing out over the top of them. That's fun. But that section is really all that grabbed me. Thanks to that section, I won't give it a thumbs down. But I can't go thumbs up as the remainder of the song left me flat, and certainly won't cause me to go buy the album. Good pick anyway, and a hell of a lot more enjoyable than any Tool song.

Now, I think the song suggester is supposed to name a band they don't like.

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Date Posted: March 22 2020 at 21:00
Kudos on listening through all three, and for your forthrightness. You get a most genuine thumbs-up from me. Now I understand that much better what qualities appeal to you, which is part of the point of this exercise (it's partially about getting to know and understand each other's tastes better, honing recommendation skills if possible as well as clarity in making requests, and to critique in a constructive manner in a friendly and tolerant environment).

I'm hoping that I prophecy disaster will choose Van der Graaf Generator, in which case I'll mention "A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers" and therefore likely repair my self-esteem. Just kidding as I wasn't expecting you to like my mention as that's more about an ambiance that appeals to me, and thought another could do better. I'm glad Ipd stepped-up.

By the way, the suggester doesn't have to step-up, just if they think of something, and anyone can step-in at any time with their own one that they genuinely are willing to give a fair shot.

-------------

Posted By: I prophesy disaster
Date Posted: March 23 2020 at 04:25

Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Now, I think the song suggester is supposed to name a band they don't like.

I can't recall any band in the prog-world that I don't like. That's because I only get music from bands that I do like, and those bands that don't appeal to me tend to get forgotten. Of course, it is inevitable that I have albums that fail to appeal to me, but that doesn't mean that I don't like the band. Also, if I come across an album that I don't like from a band that is new to me, I probably won't explore that band any further, but I won't feel as if I can say that I don't like the band.

Having said that, there are bands that I've explored fairly well, and though there is music that I do like (even love), there is also plenty that I don't like. And if such a band is also highly rated, then I can say that I think the band is overrated. Such is the case with King Crimson.

But I do know what sort of music I like, and what sort of music I don't like. Thus, even though I can't identify individual bands that I don't like, I can say that I don't like Prog Folk in general.

-------------
No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk