Print Page | Close Window

The most progressive album by Yes.

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific prog albums
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=107254
Printed Date: March 29 2024 at 03:05
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: The most progressive album by Yes.
Posted By: SteveG
Subject: The most progressive album by Yes.
Date Posted: July 13 2016 at 04:27
Not necessarily your favorite, or the most popular. Pick the most progressive album ever recorded by Yes.

Replies:
Posted By: grantman
Date Posted: July 13 2016 at 05:46
CLOSE TO THE EDGE  enough said.

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: July 13 2016 at 05:56
I would pick Relayer.

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Posted By: zravkapt
Date Posted: July 13 2016 at 05:59
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

I would pick Relayer.

-------------
Magma America Great Make Again

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: July 13 2016 at 07:14
Océans, obv

-------------

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: July 13 2016 at 07:46
Close to the Edge.

-------------

Posted By: emigre80
Date Posted: July 13 2016 at 08:20
Oceans.

Posted By: omphaloskepsis
Date Posted: July 13 2016 at 09:08
Close to the edge followed by Relayer

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: July 13 2016 at 09:20
Tales from Topographic Oceans was at one time on both lists of the 50 best albums ever recorded and 50 worst albums ever recorded.  Enough said. 

-------------

Posted By: BaldFriede
Date Posted: July 13 2016 at 09:44
Relayer

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Posted By: Modrigue
Date Posted: July 13 2016 at 10:16
Relayer for me

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqf2srRfppHAslEmHBn8QP6d_eoanh0eW" rel="nofollow - My compositions

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: July 13 2016 at 13:13
Tie between CTTE & Relayer.

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: July 13 2016 at 13:37
Based on the question's wording, Topographic Oceans easily took their adventurous progressive tendencies further than anything that came before it, much of which was quite melodious and hummable with repetitive choruses and such.  Only Relayer rivals TO in any serious way.    

-------------

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: July 13 2016 at 13:59
I remember first listening to Gates of Delerium in 1978 for the first time. It blew my mind away, and I still regard the whole album as one of the epitome's of progressive music.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: July 13 2016 at 14:06
I'd say Tales just over Relayer.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: July 14 2016 at 10:06
Hi,

TFTO is the most progressive, in that its changes are enormous and its movements are exemplary to what the "definition" of progressive music is.

I think that "Relayer" was a reaction to the critics on TFTO and the long piece was an intentional assault, and then concluded with a really soft piece for contrast -- on the LP. I always thought that this was how YES originally thought of the critics.

CTTE is their best known and famous (other than Roundabout), but in many ways, not really as progressive as TFTO, although certainly more readily open to the ear, than something so different as TFTO. Not many fans go around whistling parts of TFTO, while you and I can probably easily hum along with CTTE. That just tells you the fame side of it, not the composition side of it.

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: July 14 2016 at 11:16
I do consider TFTO one of Yes' finest moments, as well. Time to revisit that opus!

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: grantman
Date Posted: July 14 2016 at 11:51
Close to the edge has lightness to it, lot of harmonics placed though out ,I find this most a  pleasurable sense of calm to the listener ,I do not find instruments crashing into each other, easy on the ears. Maybe Im just too sensitive but to each their own, or am I just getting old. 

Posted By: aglasshouse
Date Posted: July 14 2016 at 12:05
Close to the Edge or Fragile.

-------------
http://fryingpanmedia.com

Posted By: comascape
Date Posted: July 14 2016 at 14:06
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

I would pick Relayer.
ditto

-------------
"You have to systematically create confusion, it sets creativity free. Everything that is contradictory creates life."
-Salvador Dali

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: July 14 2016 at 14:10
Topographic. End of story

Posted By: Quinino
Date Posted: July 14 2016 at 14:12
^ Absolutely ! Approve

Posted By: Son.of.Tiresias
Date Posted: September 22 2016 at 01:35
"Tales from Topographic Oceans" in 1973 marks the pinnacle of Prog Rock Double Album Concept. If added the Soon section they would had reached TOTAL perfection in melody & harmony, and therefore in everything. The Best Yes Roger Dean Cover as well Big smile

-------------
You may see a smile on Tony Banksī face but thatīs unlikely.

Posted By: Flight123
Date Posted: September 22 2016 at 03:10
'Close' 'Tales' and 'Relayer' - I can't separate them.  I can't help also thinking that if Moraz had stayed for at least another album, that would also be added....

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: September 22 2016 at 04:11
Probably TFTO but for "progression" you could argue a case for The Yes Album and the leap from its predecessor when Steve Howe joined.

Posted By: Darious
Date Posted: September 22 2016 at 04:57
It might be the most ridiculous input to this discussion, but, in my opinion, the most progressive Yes' album would be the 2001's, often oversight and underrated "Magnification". If "Close to the Edge" can be perceived as Yes' "Alpha" then the "Magnification" could be their "Omega", neatly closing their discography (I know there were other issues after the "Magnification", but..). Anderson's vocals are really settled on "Magnification", marking, sort of, an ultimate progression and also there are many "musical interlinks" to the "Close to the Edge", if you listen carefully. Fitting tribute to their early (and successful) orchestral experiences

-------------
Writing about truth is a little bit like getting your dick out in public and hoping no one laughs (Steve Hogarth)

Posted By: Kingsnake
Date Posted: September 22 2016 at 05:33
When you're repeating what you've alreay done? When you're walking a road already travelled, how in earth can that be called progressive?

Tales from Topographic Oceans might be a good, solid album, but not progressive. Yes just continued to do, what they already did.
I would say that Fragile pushed the envelope much more. There was far more experimentation on that album.
Just my 2 cents.

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: September 22 2016 at 17:10
Close to the Edge

Posted By: Pastmaster
Date Posted: September 22 2016 at 21:33
I would say Fragile.

Posted By: TheDankCookie
Date Posted: September 23 2016 at 08:59
Close to the Edge or Relayer

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: September 23 2016 at 10:14
Originally posted by Kingsnake Kingsnake wrote:

When you're repeating what you've alreay done? When you're walking a road already travelled, how in earth can that be called progressive?

Tales from Topographic Oceans might be a good, solid album, but not progressive. Yes just continued to do, what they already did.
I would say that Fragile pushed the envelope much more. There was far more experimentation on that album.
Just my 2 cents.

That's kind of what I was saying about The Yes Album, and Fragile was another big step forward with the addition of Mr Wakeman.

Date Posted: September 23 2016 at 14:59
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Clap Exactly. Their creativeness ended right there. Ermm..... Dead..... but it was temporary Wink

-------------

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: September 23 2016 at 17:02
Oh, come on! It's Relayer, for crying out loud! Tales From Topographic Oceans?

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: Magnum Vaeltaja
Date Posted: September 23 2016 at 17:15
Depends on how you define "progressive", really.

Which album "progressed" the most from the one preceding it? Either The Yes Album or Fragile.

Which one fits all of the prog rock cliches the most? Tales.

Which one delves the deepest into the extremes of what progressive music is capable of? Relayer.

I'd end up picking Relayer because it actually applies somewhat to all 3 of these definitions of "progressive".

-------------
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents

Posted By: mechanicalflattery
Date Posted: September 23 2016 at 19:50
CTTE is the best, Relayer is the most progressive, TFTO is the most ambitious, The Yes Album was the most groundbreaking within its time and the group's own discography, Fragile is the ugly redheaded step-child that we let roam around doing odd things so that we don't seem like we're favoring the other children...

Date Posted: October 10 2016 at 12:22
Originally posted by Flight123 Flight123 wrote:

'Close' 'Tales' and 'Relayer' - I can't separate them.  I can't help also thinking that if Moraz had stayed for at least another album, that would also be added....
But he never did although he stayed with then for two years, maybe more. Only one album ? One studio album in the "mature stage" of Prog in early 1974 - late 76 with Progīs biggest band ? Doesnīt make any sense and I complete see why.

-------------

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: October 10 2016 at 14:51
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Exactly.......It starts with the album title "Tales From Topographic Oceans" and ends with Track 4/Side 4.

Please close this thread Big smile.

-------------

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: October 10 2016 at 22:37
Relayer

Date Posted: October 11 2016 at 03:52
FRAGILE, TOPOGRAPHIC, RELAYER, DRAMA......................
.........no more. Yet why do I have 20 vinyls+ of theirs ??? (Not 90125 or the massive Generator....)

Date Posted: December 10 2016 at 09:21
For my senses thereīs nothing progressive in relayer. I have always found it utterly dull and unbalanced and harsh sounding, the first time I heard sound chaser I burst out laughing. Still do. Actually a rather funny album  LOL  

The mighty Soon section ? A typical brilliant Yes piece but feels like doesnīt quite belong there. Iīd put it into Oceans instead. Without it that Moraz era album would have been a total disaster. Not his fault of course, he did the best he was allowed to contribute, and actually itīs totally irrelevant who plays keys there. Progīs rock bottom nevertheless Dead

-------------

Posted By: Blinkyjoh
Date Posted: January 11 2017 at 09:34
Neither are my favourite but...
I was going to vote Oceans, but reading the above posts...i'm changing my mind and voting Close to the Edge :)

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: January 11 2017 at 09:41
The most "prog"? CttE.

As you worded it "...most progressive....", The Yes Album.

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Posted By: Terrapin Station
Date Posted: January 11 2017 at 12:55
Honestly, for "most progressive," I'd probably say Fragile.  They were approaching everything in a literally experimental way on that album, deconstructing normal song structures, normal ways of approaching instrumental parts, exploring contrapuntal structures in odd ways, and they were willing to try any and eveything--throwing together all sorts of different genres, especially on the short solo tracks.

Posted By: EddieRUKiddingVarese
Date Posted: January 11 2017 at 15:49
My fav is the Yes Album

-------------
"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: January 11 2017 at 16:34
Originally posted by Terrapin Station Terrapin Station wrote:

Honestly, for "most progressive," I'd probably say Fragile.  They were approaching everything in a literally experimental way on that album, deconstructing normal song structures, normal ways of approaching instrumental parts, exploring contrapuntal structures in odd ways, and they were willing to try any and eveything--throwing together all sorts of different genres, especially on the short solo tracks.

yeah I could see that.  My first inclination is to say Tales for the shear brass balls it took to do that album, a disaster in the waiting for any other group but in the end it was just some really A+ sympho sh*t.... 

while Tales might have been the album that pushed the boundaries of prog to its zenith,  as I often say, everything prog was worked itself up TO Tales.. everything after was downhill sylistically and it became a parody of itself (continued still today with all these f**king retro prog by teh numbers bands)

but musically...  yeah... I could see Fragile.Clap

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Dopeydoc
Date Posted: January 12 2017 at 14:57
Most crazy prog: Relayer
Most classic prog: Close to the edge
Most innovative prog: Fragile
Most conceptual prog: Tales....
Most soft prog: Going for the one

Posted By: BaldFriede
Date Posted: January 12 2017 at 15:26
Originally posted by Son.of.Tiresias Son.of.Tiresias wrote:

For my senses thereīs nothing progressive in relayer. I have always found it utterly dull and unbalanced and harsh sounding, the first time I heard sound chaser I burst out laughing. Still do. Actually a rather funny album  LOL  

The mighty Soon section ? A typical brilliant Yes piece but feels like doesnīt quite belong there. Iīd put it into Oceans instead. Without it that Moraz era album would have been a total disaster. Not his fault of course, he did the best he was allowed to contribute, and actually itīs totally irrelevant who plays keys there. Progīs rock bottom nevertheless Dead

The harsh sounding is essentially what makes it so progressive.

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Posted By: Terrapin Station
Date Posted: January 13 2017 at 05:25
Saying that there's nothing progressive about Relayer definitely indicates using a different definition of progressive than I use.  ;-)

Date Posted: January 13 2017 at 06:50
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Exactly. It was an album intended to push musical boundaries rather than please the listener. It did please a lot a of listeners (me included) but that was not what it was designed for.

Date Posted: January 13 2017 at 06:50
Originally posted by Dopeydoc Dopeydoc wrote:

This. Thumbs Up

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: January 13 2017 at 08:36
Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

This. Thumbs Up
Relayer is crazy, bayyyyy-bee! It's out of sight!

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: January 13 2017 at 13:32
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

This. Thumbs Up
Relayer is crazy, bayyyyy-bee! It's out of sight!
How are you Rednight? Wink

Yes, Relayer does have some madness in the method! Great descriptive. Smile 

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: Pigab
Date Posted: February 04 2017 at 06:11
Close to The Edge

Posted By: Harmonicbliss
Date Posted: February 24 2017 at 13:59
Tough Choice- i am going to go with Fragile-
Although i consider "oceans" a close second!

Date Posted: April 05 2017 at 04:15
Originally posted by EddieRUKiddingVarese EddieRUKiddingVarese wrote:

My fav is the Yes Album

Clap Wow, youīve got some taste ! Yes ! Mine too. Itīs the opposite to dull relayer, in everything really LOL. 
One of the Progīs most underestimated/noticed classics really. And one of the most positive albums from Yes and in entire Prog actually, their 4th best to my senses. Peter Banks RIP and Tony Kaye created an unique sound melting rock, pop, psych and avant-gard into a big symphonic sound. Very nice and very melodic really. In a way, the debut is the most prog of them all. They made Beatlesīs "Every Little Thing" stellar. They had some attitude to create very melodic yet heavy and above all positive stuff. They were the pioneers. 

-------------

Date Posted: April 05 2017 at 04:33
Topographic............simples !!

Date Posted: April 05 2017 at 05:06
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

[QUOTE=Terrapin Station]Honestly, for "most progressive," I'd probably say Fragile.  They were approaching everything in a literally experimental way on that album, deconstructing normal song structures, normal ways of approaching instrumental parts, exploring contrapuntal structures in odd ways, and they were willing to try any and eveything--throwing together all sorts of different genres, especially on the short solo tracks.

In a way yes but itīs fragile. Their forte has always been in shorts tunes and sheer melody really. 

-------------

Date Posted: April 05 2017 at 05:28

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by Terrapin Station Terrapin Station wrote:

while Tales might have been the album that pushed the boundaries of prog to its zenith,  as I often say, everything prog was worked itself up TO Tales.. everything after was downhill sylistically and it became a parody of itself (continued still today with all these f**king retro prog by teh numbers bands)

Exactly. "...everything after TfTO was downhill" (in 1974 -75, to be exact but NOT all bands/artist) and not only stylistically but IN MUSICALLY. Hell with all styles, itīs the music that only matters, right ?  "...became a parody of itself". Yes the mighty pioneers of Prog did nothing but. Yes tried to copy their own formula, The Edge (one epic + two shorter tracks) for the third time and everything fell into parts, resulting into noise (cacophony) (well, the last tune is the most boring POP song Iīve heard from then, or pretty any band. Progressive ? Give me a break.   
All is just as far as possible from the world of the Common Man, and Jon Andersonīs silly (really this time) lyrics and his worst singing ever donīt help either to apply what they are doing there. And master engineer Mr. Eddie Offord, what did he do beside digging his nose ? The most unbalanced album/work I have ever heard and I have heard thousands of albums. Honesty not his finest hour anyway. Well, amusing effort in all and just makes me laugh Smile

No wonder punk happened in 1976, and punk has absolutely nothing to with Progīs decline. Prog killed its own bird.

1974 is the origin of storms. 

Still after all, Jon Anderson despite his awful mistake is my hero from the early days and truly is one of the Giants of Prog. Peter Gabriel as well but I never ever cared about his work after 1975. Dull again.

"Tales from Topographic Oceans" from 1973 is the ultimate Prog Epic recorded, they may exist others as coherent works out there but itīs hard to beat.  

-------------

Date Posted: April 05 2017 at 08:05
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

In know tens of albums that are as harsh sounding (in parts only, of course) like certain Kraut, King Crimson etc. as this but they are truly progressive, both musically and technically. Sacrificing the essence of (symphonic, (Yes are a symphonic prog band)) music, melody and harmony, which happens to be THEIR FORTE, for total favor of technical "competence" which in this case happens to be aimless pouching and jumping here and there just resulting in noise. And in total boredom in the last tune which is one of the most boring pop song from Yes and pretty much from any band. Progressive ? Give a break.

I have heard thousands of better balanced/sounding rock albums in any genre. 

The same happened to GENESIS too, but luckily in lesser extent. The Lamb. Despite its brilliance in most parts/sections like "Hairless Heart" and "Waiting Room"  I have never been excited about the end result as a concept album per se, the last parts, side four. As being lame and actually anti-climax to the previous stuff just heard before it doesnīt quite fulfill the promise for a perfect Epic Concept Double Album. And itīs too American in sound, style, images etc. A story of a Puerto Rican guy ? After a romanticism of Salmacis and old stories from 1871, and the really funny "Harold the Barrel" ? Not in a million years Smile 

Despite the wonderful Soon section, the decline of Prog starts right there. And there is no Rick Wakeman to breathe a little life into that corpse. Donīt get me wrong, it is not Patrick Moraz fault, he just gets the thankless job to fill the empty spaces but did the best he possibly could. If he just had got a little bit more space and time in the chaos the end result would had been much better. Poor Patrick, always got mistreated by his arrogant English fellows.

Dull stuff, well nobodyīs perfect. With the exception of some Italians, of course Smile

-------------

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: April 14 2017 at 09:45
The correct answer is:

Tales From Topographic Oceans

Posted By: Mystic Mamba
Date Posted: April 18 2017 at 20:38
This is an interesting question. No two albums by Yes have exactly the same stylistic approach, so it's hard to pin down one defining moment of "progression" in their discography. I think that the "proggiest" albums by Yes are undoubtedly TFTO and Relayer; and let's be honest, they really pushed their limits on those albums more than any others. Of course, Fragile and Close to the Edge were the albums that really defined the classic Yes sound, so an argument could be made for either of them. Then, there are the later albums; if progressive means blending the old with the new to create something fresh, the albums like Talk and Magnification were quite progressive, as the band experimented with some brand new ideas (incorporating prog metal and recording with a full orchestra, respectively). Really though, each Yes album brought something new to the table, so they were all progressive in their own way. For me, I have to go with TFTO; it's super eclectic and way beyond anything they had done up to that point.

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: April 19 2017 at 23:04
CTTE.  It was one of the earliest of the long-song LPs issued, incorporated some very progressive instrumentation (Howe's use of electric sitar and pedal steel guitar, Wakeman's use of pipe organ etc.), and broke the mold for the genre.  

Posted By: akaBona
Date Posted: April 20 2017 at 15:02
The one and only: Close To The Edge.

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: April 20 2017 at 21:53
I know I commented before but I'll reply again. If by progressive we mean the most ground breaking and daring then I'll say Relayer. It's not necessarily their best(although it is probably my personal favorite). 

Posted By: Kepler62
Date Posted: April 21 2017 at 04:22
Yessongs. It defined progrock of the early seventies and earned both them and Roger Dean a place in progrock folklore. They should have really thrown in the towel after Going For The One. Seriously.

Date Posted: April 21 2017 at 04:42
Topographic. That's it. Topographic.
Not that their other albums aren't incredibly progressive, but really, Tooographic.
I'm one of those weirdos that fell in love with the album from my first spin back around 1989......still have the (almost) pristine vinyl I bought back then. The Ancient was the piece that sealed the deal for me !!
Just INCREDIBLE.

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: April 26 2017 at 05:26
90125. Progression is all about change and change boots listeners right in their comfort zone. Now they had crafted epics inside 4 - 7 minutes which caused an out cry among the prog establishment. How dare you pay songs in 5 minutes when it should take you 20. And memorable choruses... swoon.

Oddly this contrasts with the Tales fans who think it's too long and have actually edited their Tales so it's shorter; like y'know, a pop rock album.

Still you had 9012 Live The Solos. Or Union with it's songs on side 1 and a kind of conceptual side 2. Bit like the old days...

For progress from one to the other I'd probably pick The Yes Album Fragile through to Relayer is probably the peak as opposed to 90125 which really produced pique. ;)

Posted By: 70sBoy
Date Posted: April 26 2017 at 09:39
Topographic - it seems to be the summation of everything Yes were developing in the previous few years. I can't forget discovering on a tinny transistor listening to Radio Caroline around 6pm one 70s evening when stuck in bed with the flu. Talk about an epiphany moment.

Posted By: Shiny globe
Date Posted: April 26 2017 at 10:17
They were all made in a spirit of being progressive, regardless of advanced special effects in some albums, so I'd point only the ones that weren't , such as the last ones (or so it seems).

Posted By: beeebon
Date Posted: April 29 2017 at 22:51
Definitely Close To The Edge

Posted By: maryes
Date Posted: May 01 2017 at 10:17
Very difficult choice, but I vote in Tales From Topographic Oceans !

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk