Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=107411
Printed Date: May 04 2024 at 06:39
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Pink Floyd's: Animals vs Wish You Were Here
Posted By: SteveG
Subject: Pink Floyd's: Animals vs Wish You Were Here
Date Posted: July 28 2016 at 14:10
Animals vs the Wall was too easy. Let's make it a little bit harder. Animals vs. Wish You Were Here, which do you prefer?

Replies:
Posted By: b_olariu
Date Posted: July 28 2016 at 14:12
Animals for sure

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: July 28 2016 at 14:16
Wish You Were Here is my favourite PF album, Animals is #6.

-------------

Posted By: DeadSouls
Date Posted: July 28 2016 at 14:21
Animals

Posted By: Modrigue
Date Posted: July 28 2016 at 14:32
Wish You Were Here for me

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqf2srRfppHAslEmHBn8QP6d_eoanh0eW" rel="nofollow - My compositions

Posted By: bj_waters
Date Posted: July 28 2016 at 15:03
This one is pretty close, but I have to give it to Wish You Were Here.

Posted By: LakeGlade12
Date Posted: July 28 2016 at 15:20
The majority of WYWH is near unlistenable to me, while Animals is one of their best albums and is consistent from start to finish. No contest. 

Posted By: A_Flower
Date Posted: July 28 2016 at 15:37
Animals. I like to call Wish You Were Here Wish You Were A Better Album

-------------
User Banned for this Post

Posted By: Pastmaster
Date Posted: July 28 2016 at 16:21
Animals, both albums are masterpieces though.

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: July 28 2016 at 16:25
I like WYWH more than Wall but not quite as much as Animals.

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: July 28 2016 at 16:56
Both great but Animals

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: July 28 2016 at 17:14
both decent albums... but WYWH

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: July 28 2016 at 17:15
Close, but WYWH.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: Magnum Vaeltaja
Date Posted: July 28 2016 at 18:05
Still Animals for me. Wish You Were Here is certainly better than The Wall, but only because of Shine On as far as I'm concerned. The other three tracks put me to sleep. 

-------------
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: July 28 2016 at 18:21
Animals by the length of a cigar.

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Posted By: maryes
Date Posted: July 28 2016 at 18:31
I'm not a Pink Floyd fan, but I like very much some of their albuns - "Meddle", "Dark Side of the Moon" and even "Animals". But, I think which "Wish you where Here" is fairly superior in relation to "Animals" !

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: July 28 2016 at 19:31
Not that I dislike Animals, on the contrary, it's really good, but Wish You Were Here Is simply a better album. Animals is too short an album. They needed to add one more animal to the bunch.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: July 28 2016 at 20:42
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Not that I dislike Animals, on the contrary, it's really good, but Wish You Were Here Is simply a better album. Animals is too short an album. They needed to add one more animal to the bunch.

Which one though? Rats were done by the Stranglers, Mice had Jethro Tull and Genesis. Budgies... no... not Budgies. Cats? Mmmmm. No.

Voted for Animals just to even the score. I have no idea which is more preferred as both albums achieve different ideas and both highly successfully. Would not be without either. Or any Floyd album.

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: July 28 2016 at 20:47
I rather like Wish. 

Animals short?  It's pretty standard length, No?

-------------

Posted By: King Only
Date Posted: July 28 2016 at 21:09
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

They needed to add one more animal to the bunch.

Which one though? Rats were done by the Stranglers, Mice had Jethro Tull and Genesis. Budgies... no... not Budgies. Cats? 

Vultures. Or Lemmings. I'm pretty sure Roger could have written some good lyrics about either of those animals.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: July 28 2016 at 21:27
This one is more difficult indeed. My two favourite Pink Floyd albums. I might have a hard time deciding, but if I put Wish you were Here, just by listening to those first notes I remember why that is my favourite album of all, and why Shine On you Crazy Diamond is my favourite song of all.

Posted By: Imperial Zeppelin
Date Posted: July 28 2016 at 23:54
Still Animals..

-------------
"Hey there, Dog Man, now I drink from your bowl."

Posted By: DDPascalDD
Date Posted: July 29 2016 at 01:11
Animals indeed.

-------------
https://pascalvandendool.bandcamp.com/album/a-moment-of-thought" rel="nofollow - New album! "A Moment of Thought"

Posted By: Logan
Date Posted: July 29 2016 at 02:07
Have loved both, but Animals.

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXcp9fYc6K4IKuxIZkenfvukL_Y8VBqzK" rel="nofollow - Various music I am very into: a youtube playlist with two tracks per act

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: July 29 2016 at 02:42
Too hard. It's a tie for me

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: July 29 2016 at 02:42
"Wish You Were Here" all the way; "Animals" was such a disappointment. Pink Floyd really feel fat-arsed on "Animals"; the album never really gets going

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: July 29 2016 at 03:11
Still Animals for me.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Watchmaker
Date Posted: July 29 2016 at 03:39
I haven't listened to much of either, but I'll go with WYWH.

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: July 29 2016 at 04:14
Wish You Were Here

Posted By: The Greek
Date Posted: July 29 2016 at 04:21
WYWH

Date Posted: July 29 2016 at 04:22
WYWH

Date Posted: July 29 2016 at 04:23
Best PF album

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: July 29 2016 at 04:34
WYWH feels incomplete to me. Feels like it's missing a song. The SOYCD reprise would have been better replaced with another song.

Welcome to the machine is one of my favourite Floyd songs though. Very intense and wonderful use of synth.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Libor10
Date Posted: July 29 2016 at 04:40
WYWH by hundred light miles. Animals is an album I've always disliked from whatever reasons. Well, if you put WYWH against Meddle, that would be really tough for me...

-------------

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: July 29 2016 at 04:53
WYWH.
Could never get into Animals.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: July 29 2016 at 06:22
Animals although both are well up there amongst the best prog albums

Posted By: tboyd1802
Date Posted: July 29 2016 at 06:32
IMHO, WYWH represents the high point of PF. WYWH...

-------------
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: July 29 2016 at 08:49
Originally posted by bj_waters bj_waters wrote:

This one is pretty close, but I have to give it to Wish You Were Here.

Same here.

Posted By: The Mystical
Date Posted: July 29 2016 at 08:52
Animals.

-------------
I am currently digging:

Hawkwind, Rare Bird, Gong, Tangerine Dream, Khan, Iron Butterfly, and all things canterbury and hard-psych. I also love jazz!

Please drop me a message with album suggestions.

Posted By: O666
Date Posted: July 29 2016 at 09:48
Animals but very close!

Posted By: AZF
Date Posted: July 29 2016 at 09:48
At the start of the poll I was concerned Animals had more votes than WYWH. I supported 1975 and last time I looked this morning it was tied 18.
Glad to see the better album leading and Wish It Went To Next Round!

EDIT: by making this post the vote is again tied but this time 21!

Date Posted: July 29 2016 at 09:57
Shine has some of my favorite Gilmour playing.   Welcome to the Machine is my absolute favorite moment for Rick Wright. 

WYWH

-------------

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: July 29 2016 at 10:17
Animals easily.

Wish You Were Here doesn't do it for me much. Apart from the title track and Welcome to the Machine, it's ordinary.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: July 29 2016 at 10:34
I like Animals

but

WYWH by a wide margin

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: July 29 2016 at 10:45
Wish, pretty easily.

-------------

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: July 29 2016 at 12:09
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Wish, pretty easily.
Well said! Thumbs Up

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: AlanB
Date Posted: July 29 2016 at 12:23
Wish You Were Here - no contest!

Posted By: tdfloyd
Date Posted: July 29 2016 at 12:58
WYWH is one of my all-time favs.  Animals is awesome, but not as quite as good as Wish.  Albums for two different moods. 

Posted By: A_Flower
Date Posted: July 29 2016 at 13:05
Originally posted by King Only King Only wrote:

They needed to add one more animal to the bunch.

Which one though? Rats were done by the Stranglers, Mice had Jethro Tull and Genesis. Budgies... no... not Budgies. Cats? 

Vultures. Or Lemmings. I'm pretty sure Roger could have written some good lyrics about either of those animals.

Can't be Lemmings, already done by VDGG. Possibly vultures, but that doesn't fit the farm atmosphere. I'd say horses or cats or maybe goats

-------------
User Banned for this Post

Posted By: progmatic
Date Posted: July 29 2016 at 18:30
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

"Wish You Were Here" all the way; "Animals" was such a disappointment. Pink Floyd really feel fat-arsed on "Animals"; the album never really gets going

This is pretty much how I feel. I always felt ike "Animals" was a cookie-cutter album that took musical pieces and ideas from "Dark Side" & "Wish You Were Here" and just kind of recycled them.
I like some of the early Floyd but my favorites are "Meddle," "DKSOM" and "WYWH." From "Animals" onward they never recaptured the magic for me. I think a lot of it had to do with the soothing, dreamlike vocals that disappeared forever with "The Wall."

-------------
PROGMATIC

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: July 29 2016 at 18:59
It's Wish' for me!

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: July 29 2016 at 19:06
Animals may've seemed a letdown at the time, but in hindsight was a perfectly fine, even excellent album.   Non-musicians think they're favorite artists are supposed to magically create brilliant music every few years for our enjoyment.   It don't work that way; we're lucky when a gifted band puts that much effort into their work, especially on the heels of several all-time classics.   That was a completely satisfying release, more so in some ways to the over-polished populism of the previous two.  

Such lack of appreciation and humility is a shame.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Date Posted: July 29 2016 at 20:31
David its kind of opposite for me.  I liked Animals a lot as a kid.  I don't feel it has held up as well for me now as an older person.  Dark Side is that warm album that speaks to the human condition, shared emotion, common fears, it still can move me to tears.  Wish You Were Here is the perfectly manicured one, with sonic chill, artwork, and lyrics that capture so well the Syd trip and the music biz disillusion.  So much subtle beauty. It still blows my mind.  Animals on the other hand means very little to me now, it is a nice collection of "Floyd-ey jams", I'll give it that.  Dave does well as he always does, the others seem like they're phoning it in.  It never feels memorable, or special, or inspiring.  Mostly it's kind of a drag and I think Roger really upped his game and kicked ass to recover so well with The Wall.  Animals was a solid base hit before they cranked yet another tater over the fence with The Wall.  Just my opinion of course, I know Animals is many people's favorites and so my apologies for dissing it a bit. 

I agree with you about the unrealistic expectations of fans of course.  True classics don't come along all that often.

-------------

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: July 29 2016 at 20:35
I'm mostly just looking for a fight, Jim, and I have no more attachment to that record than any other of theirs.  But as you noted, my reaction was more about musical expectation than anything.   Sounds like you feel about Animals the way I feel about The Wall (though I've found after a very long break, years, I can now enjoy it from time to time) .

Cheers, good call.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: July 29 2016 at 20:46
I thought they were all superb in their own unique ways. Animals has that album climax in the last track and a lot of sonic and musical exploration which is way more evident in the remaster (cleared the cob webs away). Still apparently Rick Wright was not absolutely on the top of his game for whatever reasons but they still managed to put out of the best albums of that year.

Must say I don't play much PF now as I've largely well, internalized it all and don't really need to do so.

This may change with that new box set which'll replace quite a few bootlegs.

Date Posted: July 29 2016 at 20:52
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

I'm mostly just looking for a fight, Jim, 

LOL I love that...

-------------

Date Posted: July 29 2016 at 20:53

Must say I don't play much PF now as I've largely well, internalized it all and don't really need to do so.

This may change with that new box set which'll replace quite a few bootlegs.

I'm salivating too although I'm gonna have to sell a kidney to afford it

-------------

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: July 29 2016 at 23:34
Vote goes to Animals this time.  I find it a more consistent album.  However, WHYWH has two of Floyd's finest moments - Shine On You Crazy Diamond thanks to Wright's brilliant synth leads and an unmistakable chord progression, and the title track.  The other two songs drag the proceedings down for me, especially Welcome to the Machine, one of my least favorite Floyd songs.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: irrelevant
Date Posted: July 30 2016 at 00:12
Still Animals

-------------
https://gabebuller.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - New album!
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385

Posted By: Michael678
Date Posted: July 30 2016 at 11:29
Wish You Were Here

-------------
Progrockdude

Posted By: Terrapin Station
Date Posted: July 30 2016 at 15:43
Originally posted by Pastmaster Pastmaster wrote:

Animals, both albums are masterpieces though.

Posted By: akaBona
Date Posted: July 30 2016 at 16:40
WYWH is better, actually Pink Floyd's best album.

Posted By: jude111
Date Posted: July 30 2016 at 17:53
Both albums are great, but for me WYWH is the better of the two.

On WYWH, there's a better fusion of the band's singers: Gilmour sings alot, and those times Waters sings, Gilmour's fleshing his vocals out singing in harmony. Roy Harper adds variety and really nails Have a Cigar.

On the other hand, Animals has mostly vocals by Waters. Gilmour sings Dogs, until that long instrumental section; and then for some reason, Waters comes in with the rest of the vocals. Everything else is sung by Waters (Pigs, Sheep, and the two short Pigs On the Wing songs).

WYWH also features Richard Wright's keys to great effect. By the time of Animals, punk had broke out and the band made a conscious decision to go in the direction of hard rock, minimizing Waters' synths.

So, WYWH.

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: July 31 2016 at 05:46
Originally posted by jude111 jude111 wrote:

Both albums are great, but for me WYWH is the better of the two.

On WYWH, there's a better fusion of the band's singers: Gilmour sings alot, and those times Waters sings, Gilmour's fleshing his vocals out singing in harmony. Roy Harper adds variety and really nails Have a Cigar.

On the other hand, Animals has mostly vocals by Waters. Gilmour sings Dogs, until that long instrumental section; and then for some reason, Waters comes in with the rest of the vocals. Everything else is sung by Waters (Pigs, Sheep, and the two short Pigs On the Wing songs).

WYWH also features Richard Wright's keys to great effect. By the time of Animals, punk had broke out and the band made a conscious decision to go in the direction of hard rock, minimizing Waters' synths.

So, WYWH.

The decision to minimise Wright's keys was nothing to do with punk. It was everything to do with the fact that Waters thought Weight had nothing decent to offer.

I love WYWH, but Animals remains my favourite Floyd album, for reasons expressed here on many

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: July 31 2016 at 14:02
Wish for sure......as I have said before Animals always seemed too overwrought and moody  for me.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Zargus
Date Posted: August 06 2016 at 14:32
WYWH. But both are amazing!

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk