Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=107646
Printed Date: May 01 2024 at 14:18
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 1969 Pre-Prog
Posted By: The Dark Elf
Subject: 1969 Pre-Prog
Date Posted: August 27 2016 at 10:48
Four albums from 1969 that encompass bands heading for prog-rock super-stardom but still not quite there yet. Genesis had to boot Anthony Phillips and John Silver before realizing their true Genesis-iness, Tull released what in reality was their second debut album after parting ways with Mick Abrahams from the blues-based This Was, Floyd was still consuming far more acid than was necessary to provide a more cohesive album, and Yes was doing covers of The Beatles and The Byrds prior to settling on Steve Howe as their lead guitarist two albums later.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Replies:
Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: August 27 2016 at 11:07
YES

Posted By: TeleStrat
Date Posted: August 27 2016 at 11:13
Jethro Tull over the others.

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: August 27 2016 at 11:19
Stand Up is one of the first 70's albums I purchased so it's kind of special to me, but still not enough to beat Ummagumma.

Posted By: Aussie-Byrd-Brother
Date Posted: August 27 2016 at 11:40
I don't know the Tull one, the Genesis one is pleasant but forgettable, and the Yes one is joyful and full of energy (such a cool album!), but the Floyd one was experimental, challenging and completely groundbreaking!!

Posted By: Pastmaster
Date Posted: August 27 2016 at 12:24
Yes

Why are there so many votes for Ummagumma? Shocked

Posted By: DeadSouls
Date Posted: August 27 2016 at 12:59
JT

Posted By: Neu!mann
Date Posted: August 27 2016 at 13:01
If it was just the live half of Ummagumma this would be a no-brainer...but Tull wins by default.

-------------
"we can change the world without anyone noticing the difference" - Franco Falsini

Date Posted: August 27 2016 at 13:16
Originally posted by Neu!mann Neu!mann wrote:

If it was just the live half of Ummagumma this would be a no-brainer...but Tull wins by default.

Yeah, I had considered using Floyd's More, which was also released in 1969, in place of Ummagumma because I thought that maybe the live sides of the album which contain previously released material (and better than the studio work on the album) might skew the poll numbers. It looks like that may be the case, but oh well.

I still think Tull's Stand Up is a gem, and out of these selections from 1969 far more mature from a compositional standpoint.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: August 27 2016 at 13:18
Ummagumma easily.

-------------

Posted By: Mascodagama
Date Posted: August 27 2016 at 13:20
I voted Yes, even though it's the wrong answer (which is Ummagumma, obviously).  Just because Yes is so neglected and deserves more love. Unique in its own way, and I'd go so far as to say that it's a far better record than anything they recorded after 1974.

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: August 27 2016 at 13:24
Now you're speaking my language:  In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida.
Just kiddin'.  Umma-gumma-da-bumma.

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: August 27 2016 at 13:44
Stand Up.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: mechanicalflattery
Date Posted: August 27 2016 at 14:00
I'd go with Ummagumma just for the studio material alone. I consider the live stuff to just be bonus extras. 

Posted By: Upbeat Tango Monday
Date Posted: August 27 2016 at 14:30
Yes and Stand Up are good albums. Genesis to Revelation is meh, and Ummagumma is S@!#.

-------------
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.

Posted By: Pastmaster
Date Posted: August 27 2016 at 15:58
Originally posted by Upbeat Tango Monday Upbeat Tango Monday wrote:

Yes and Stand Up are good albums. Genesis to Revelation is meh, and Ummagumma is S@!#.

Completely agree Clap

Posted By: akaBona
Date Posted: August 27 2016 at 16:14
I still like Yes I and Stand Up

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: August 27 2016 at 16:54
Stand Up

-------------

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: August 27 2016 at 17:05
Mammagamma........

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: August 27 2016 at 17:53
The live stuff is on Ummagumma so it should count, and it easily wins the day. That's not "skewing the poll", that's just what this album is. The live tracks on Ummagumma aren't only better than the studio disc, they are much better also than the studio originals of the live songs. I didn't see Pink Floyd live at the time but I think they were much more a live than a studio band and Ummagumma live is much closer to what the band was about than any of their studio recordings of the period.
I don't really understand the tendency of some here not to take live material seriously.

Interesting by the way to see how Ummagumma wins this one and loses hopelessly in the other one against AHM.

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: August 27 2016 at 19:38
Ummagumma easily, live stuff is wonderful

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: HemispheresOfXanadu
Date Posted: August 27 2016 at 19:47
I'd vote but the flautist is sitting on me.

-------------
https://twitter.com/ProgFollower" rel="nofollow - @ProgFollower on Twitter. Tweet me muzak.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: August 27 2016 at 21:02
For me Stand Up is by far the best and most interesting.....one of my favorite things from those days.
Yes and Genesis are mediocre and while the live tracks are Umma are good the studio stuff is downright embarrassing.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: August 27 2016 at 23:37
Ummagumma even if I do adore that Tull album. And yes the studio side is brilliant! I think I prefer it over the live one.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: August 28 2016 at 00:49
Jethro Tull - Stand Up

Posted By: Flight123
Date Posted: August 28 2016 at 04:40
The Floyd album is the only 'progressive' album listed here.  A bit unfair to put the Genesis one in - to level things up in a 69 poll perhaps a Nice, Egg, Soft Machine, Zappa or Moody Blues album should be here instead.

It should be noted that Phillips left Genesis of his own volition due to stage fright/health issues.  Even as late as 73, the band recorded 'Twilight Alehouse', which he co-wrote.  He was very much part of the vision.  The band decided to oust Mayhew at the same time, simply because they felt he was not up to it.

Date Posted: August 28 2016 at 11:59
Originally posted by Flight123 Flight123 wrote:

The Floyd album is the only 'progressive' album listed here.  A bit unfair to put the Genesis one in - to level things up in a 69 poll perhaps a Nice, Egg, Soft Machine, Zappa or Moody Blues album should be here instead.

The object of the poll was to show four bands with releases in 1969 who later attained prog super-stardom, not merely pick various albums from 1969 for your edification. So yes, Genesis was included. How is that unfair exactly? 

And I am fairly certain that no one considered Ummagumma "progressive" in 1969. It was still psychedelia at that point, and an argument can be made that Floyd did not actually leave the psych sphere until DSotM, or if earlier Atom Heart Mother's suite (although the rest of the album remains firmly rooted in psych). Ask anyone who dropped acid back then. Wink

-------------

Posted By: Flight123
Date Posted: August 28 2016 at 12:47
Indeed, respect to the poll setter!  I get the logic behind the poll and concede the list is about 'super stardom'.  The reason I made the comment about the Genesis album was that it was a bit of an aberration.  School band gives tape to old boy (Jonathan King) in the music business and hey presto, in the studio during summer hols at the age of 16 making an album!  Rutherford concedes they were incredibly lucky.  They didn't start doing gigs until a year later.

Posted By: The-time-is-now
Date Posted: August 28 2016 at 15:32
Yes - Yes.

-------------

One of my best achievements in life was to find this picture :D

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: August 28 2016 at 16:00
Stand Up over Ummagumma

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: August 28 2016 at 21:19
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

The live stuff is on Ummagumma so it should count, and it easily wins the day. That's not "skewing the poll", that's just what this album is. The live tracks on Ummagumma aren't only better than the studio disc, they are much better also than the studio originals of the live songs. I didn't see Pink Floyd live at the time but I think they were much more a live than a studio band and Ummagumma live is much closer to what the band was about than any of their studio recordings of the period.
I don't really understand the tendency of some here not to take live material seriously.

Interesting by the way to see how Ummagumma wins this one and loses hopelessly in the other one against AHM.

I also have the impression that at their early era, the real Pink Floyd was the live Pink Floyd. The real versions of their songs were the live ones, while the studio ones are just small samples of the real thing. As for the poll, unfortunatley I don't know the Genesis one, so I dare not vote, but I really doubt I would enjoy it better than the live Ummagumma disc.

Posted By: maryes
Date Posted: September 04 2016 at 10:33
I like very much all four albums and my sorting order is:   

Jethro Tull _ Stand Up
Yes - Yes  
Pink Floyd - Ummagumma   
Genesis - Genesis to Revelation

Posted By: BarryGlibb
Date Posted: September 05 2016 at 05:41
The only one that was No. 1 in the UK and Eddie Vedder's (supposed) favourite album of all time.

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: September 05 2016 at 05:47
Originally posted by BarryGlibb BarryGlibb wrote:

The only one that was No. 1 in the UK and Eddie Vedder's (supposed) favourite album of all time.

and I don't know which one it is. LOL

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: September 05 2016 at 06:18
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

He means Stand Up, but Moody Blues hit the No.1 spot in 1969 with On The Threshold Of A Dream before them so technically was the first No.1 album by a Prog band.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: September 05 2016 at 08:42
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

He means Stand Up, but Moody Blues hit the No.1 spot in 1969 with On The Threshold Of A Dream before them so technically was the first No.1 album by a Prog band.
I don't believe Barry referred to Stand Up as the first No. 1 by a Prog band, Dean. I believe he merely meant that of the four albums in question, it was the only one to hit No. 1.

-------------

Date Posted: September 05 2016 at 08:50
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

I don't believe Barry referred to Stand Up as the first No. 1 by a Prog band, Dean. I believe he merely meant that of the four albums in question, it was the only one to hit No. 1.
Wasn't implying that he did, it was just a follow-on fact provided for entertainment. 

-------------
What?

Date Posted: September 05 2016 at 08:55

Wasn't implying that he did, it was just a follow-on fact provided for entertainment. 
Thank you, Dean, for your adroit factoid.

-------------

Date Posted: September 05 2016 at 09:28

'Twas Tull's only UK No.1 too and together with the Moodies they are the only Prog artists to have UK No.1 albums in the 1960s. Co-incidentally both artists were the first Prog bands to have chart No.1's in the USA with Thick as a Brick and Seventh Sojourn in 1972, neither of which hit No.1 in the UK.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: September 05 2016 at 09:35

'Twas Tull's only UK No.1 too and together with the Moodies they are the only Prog artists to have UK No.1 albums in the 1960s. Co-incidentally both artists were the first Prog bands to have chart No.1's in the USA with Thick as a Brick and Seventh Sojourn in 1972, neither of which hit No.1 in the UK.

Thank you, Dean, for your continued astuteness regarding chart placement. I am waiting for someone to put forth the argument that The Moody Blues were in fact proto-prog, as that was the designation on the vinyl bins according to used record-sellersWink

-------------

Date Posted: September 05 2016 at 09:49

Thank you, Dean, for your continued astuteness regarding chart placement. I am waiting for someone to put forth the argument that The Moody Blues were in fact proto-prog, as that was the designation on the vinyl bins according to used record-sellersWink
LOL We can wait... 

-------------
What?

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: September 05 2016 at 17:20
None of them.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: starless2112
Date Posted: October 11 2016 at 20:15
 Ummagumma

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: October 12 2016 at 02:57
Voted for Stand Up. Tull knew exactly what they were doing and released a fine album of music. Varied yet cohesive. Yes and Genesis both sound competent. Genesis were very ambitious but modest while the covers on the Yes album (sic) show there is a way to go even without the benefit (sic) of hindsight.

Ummagumma is both equally brilliant and half arsed. As performers Floyd sounded just fine. I still thouht SET The Controls should've been restored once the limitations of the vinyl format had been bypassed.

SO it comes down to the studio tracks. This the conundrum album. Poor Nick Mason. 10 minute or so and he has to fill it up with his percussion. DG did a good job with The Narrow Way. Rog has the best song with Grantchester Meadows and either the most fun or most annoying with Species. Wright conjured up the best over all piece. I wonder if he expressed his real thoughts on the matter with the title Sysyphus.

To have been fine these demos should then have been played and rearranged as a band and then recorded. Then the live album could be a 2 LP set with the studio album really pointing the way ahead. It. er, might have made subsequent albums (whatever they were ;)) even better as they noted progress from the next album onward.

Posted By: Cambus741
Date Posted: October 12 2016 at 04:26
Although seen as a mod band, The Small Faces were quite proggy for the time

Posted By: Cambus741
Date Posted: October 12 2016 at 04:27
Although I like some albums  by all four bands in the poll, particularly Yes and Pink Floyd, I am not keen at all on any of those four albums

Posted By: Kingsnake
Date Posted: October 12 2016 at 04:48
I miss the Moodies.

Posted By: O666
Date Posted: October 12 2016 at 08:33
UmmaGumma very close to Genesis

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk