Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Polls
Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=107649
Printed Date: April 29 2024 at 06:54
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Atom Heart Mother vs Ummagumma!
Posted By: SteveG
Subject: Atom Heart Mother vs Ummagumma!
Date Posted: August 27 2016 at 13:05
Two of the Floyd's most progressive albums. Which do you prefer?

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Replies:
Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: August 27 2016 at 13:20
Ummagumma is my second favourite PF album. Atom Heart Mother ranks #5.

-------------

Posted By: Olape
Date Posted: August 27 2016 at 13:48

Atom Heart Mother, the first CD I ever bought and still enjoy every time I listen to it.

-------------

Posted By: mechanicalflattery
Date Posted: August 27 2016 at 14:05
Atom Heart Mother wins against any PF album

Posted By: Upbeat Tango Monday
Date Posted: August 27 2016 at 14:31
Voted for AHM, since I hate it less

-------------
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: August 27 2016 at 14:36
Originally posted by mechanicalflattery mechanicalflattery wrote:

Atom Heart Mother wins against any PF album
What he said

Posted By: Aussie-Byrd-Brother
Date Posted: August 27 2016 at 14:40
Hmmmm, tricky!

Both are daring and challenging....I probably find `Ummagumma' more fascinating, but `Atom Heart Mother' is easier to listen to more often, and despite being quite experimental retains a strong melodic edge to it. I completely overdosed on `AHM' when I first got it, and I still love it, whereas I admire `Ummagumma' more than love it.

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: August 27 2016 at 15:10
If one was to eliminate the live tracks from Ummagumma and concentrate solely on the studio material, which I have decided to do, then Atom Heart Mother is better, even with the stupid Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: August 27 2016 at 15:12
Originally posted by Upbeat Tango Monday Upbeat Tango Monday wrote:

Voted for AHM, since I hate it less

Quote of the week LOLClap

-------------

Posted By: Pastmaster
Date Posted: August 27 2016 at 15:57
This is like asking if I'd rather eat a nice lunch or eat cardboard and plastic for the rest of my life.

Atom Heart Mother obviously.

Posted By: mechanicalflattery
Date Posted: August 27 2016 at 16:03
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

the stupid Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast.

Swords or pistols?

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: August 27 2016 at 16:13
Originally posted by mechanicalflattery mechanicalflattery wrote:

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

the stupid Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast.

Swords or pistols?

A teaspoon of water, as that is what it would take for you to drown. Wink

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: akaBona
Date Posted: August 27 2016 at 16:16
Atom Heart Mother

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: August 27 2016 at 16:40
Atom

-------------

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: August 27 2016 at 16:50
Ummagumma gas a few good bits mixed in with a load of utter crap.

Take away the RIDICULOUS Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast and most of AHM is pretty good. However, Floyd really hit their straps next time out.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: August 27 2016 at 17:42
The live record of Ummagumma is THE ESSENTIAL Pink Floyd and beats AHM (and pretty much everything else of the Floyd) easily on its own. I'm also fine with the studio tracks although they on their own wouldn't exactly be on top of a PF competition (and would probably lose narrowly to AHM).

Posted By: Aussie-Byrd-Brother
Date Posted: August 27 2016 at 18:14
Why do so many people have a problem with the lovely `Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast'?! I'm assuming it's the sound effects snippets that pop in and out of the piece? Aside from those (and they're hardly a deal breaker, if anything they're just a little silly!), all three of the segments that make up the track are all hugely charming! Rick Wright's contributions alone are terrific.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: August 27 2016 at 21:10
It's difficult, though I guess I have to choose AHM because of the title track. Though all of the live album from Ummagumma is fantastic too. Too bad the studio album is really patchy.

Date Posted: August 27 2016 at 21:48
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Why do so many people have a problem with the lovely `Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast'?! I'm assuming it's the sound effects snippets that pop in and out of the piece? Aside from those (and they're hardly a deal breaker, if anything they're just a little silly!), all three of the segments that make up the track are all hugely charming! Rick Wright's contributions alone are terrific.

Alan's Breakfast has alway been my least favourite from the album too (along with "If"), but last time I gave the album a spin, I found it actually has some beautiful music. But it is marred by those sound effects that loose the continuity of the music... and even though I found the music to be very enjoyable, those pauses do distract me from enjoying the piece as a whole.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: August 28 2016 at 06:18
Two great albums, no doubt, but I'll go with ummagumma on this one.

Posted By: The-time-is-now
Date Posted: August 28 2016 at 15:31
Atoms by miles!

-------------

One of my best achievements in life was to find this picture :D

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: August 28 2016 at 15:58
They are pretty darn close to me.

I'll give Ummagumma a vote.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: aglasshouse
Date Posted: August 28 2016 at 18:40
Atom Heart Mother a thousand times over.

-------------
http://fryingpanmedia.com

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: August 29 2016 at 05:49
Atom Heart Mother....Clap

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: KingCrInuYasha
Date Posted: August 30 2016 at 13:19
Atom Heart Mother. I think it's the more focused of the two.

-------------
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: August 30 2016 at 14:55
AHM is one of PF's best records.
Ummagumma is just a mess.

Posted By: João Reis
Date Posted: August 31 2016 at 12:14

Atom Heart Mother...ClapClapClapClapClap...

Posted By: snowsnow
Date Posted: August 31 2016 at 12:51
A tie - two of floyd's weakest efforts...

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: September 01 2016 at 03:36
Close. Ummagumma for the live album and collection of demos that could have been a really good album had Pink Floyd appeared on it. Probably should really belong on the up coming box $et... Surprised Eugene was not fully reinstated ... unless it has been on the latest master? Mine go back to 1990s Japanese issues.

AHM is great - really I like both albums equally. As for Alan's FX - well ignore 'em or edit them out and stick the instrumental sections together and you get a(nother) lovely Rick Wright piece.

Just wait 'til we get to officially hear the band only (non orchestral) renditions of AHM. There are some great versions...

Date Posted: September 01 2016 at 21:21
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Close. Ummagumma for the live album and collection of demos that could have been a really good album had Pink Floyd appeared on it. Probably should really belong on the up coming box $et... Surprised Eugene was not fully reinstated ... unless it has been on the latest master? Mine go back to 1990s Japanese issues.

AHM is great - really I like both albums equally. As for Alan's FX - well ignore 'em or edit them out and stick the instrumental sections together and you get a(nother) lovely Rick Wright piece.

Just wait 'til we get to officially hear the band only (non orchestral) renditions of AHM. There are some great versions...

I guess it might be interesting to hear the band only versions of the song. Actually, I have heard one, and it is enjoyable. But in the end I love the interaction between orchestra and band so much on the studio version that I really doubt I would like any other version better.

Date Posted: September 02 2016 at 00:59
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I guess it might be interesting to hear the band only versions of the song. Actually, I have heard one, and it is enjoyable. But in the end I love the interaction between orchestra and band so much on the studio version that I really doubt I would like any other version better.

Well, it's not really a competition as to which one's best - though I'm sure a PA Poll will help to perpetuate such conflict.  Wink The idea is to have two versions that give a fine musical experience. I've enjoyed all the orchestral versions and the slightly shorter band one is also fine. What's more we'll be getting footage...

Date Posted: September 02 2016 at 21:30
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Well, it's not really a competition as to which one's best - though I'm sure a PA Poll will help to perpetuate such conflict.  Wink The idea is to have two versions that give a fine musical experience. I've enjoyed all the orchestral versions and the slightly shorter band one is also fine. What's more we'll be getting footage...

Yes, some more early Floyd footage would be wonderful

Date Posted: September 04 2016 at 00:14
While I have it on a DVD there'll probably be you tube footage of Floyd performing it at Hyde Park (orchestral version). Mine is just the one camera shot, (top righ, high). Not as frustrating as my DD of Genesis at the Lyceum (Tony Banks, left shoulder). Sounds great though.

Speaking of You Tube the KQED footage will probably be around, it's terrific. Band version of Atom Heart Mother.

P.S.
Is there some sort of synchronicity between Waters songs about mothers and an atomic association?

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: September 04 2016 at 08:06
Easily Ummagumma, and not just for the live album either. Prefer studio Ummagumma to AHM as well. Floyd at their most avant-garde.

-------------

Posted By: Son.of.Tiresias
Date Posted: September 18 2016 at 08:28
UmmaGumma - Roger Waters is genius and the mad doctor here

Anyone who donīt like him grooving with those furry animals in the cave are practically dead Tongue

-------------
You may see a smile on Tony Banksī face but thatīs unlikely.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: September 18 2016 at 08:34
Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

Easily Ummagumma, and not just for the live album either. Prefer studio Ummagumma to AHM as well. Floyd at their most avant-garde.

I can dig that man.... yeah.. Ummagumma by a couple of lightyears.  The Studio side more interesting even today to listen to...  and the live side just leaves Atom Heart Mother in the dust.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: starless2112
Date Posted: October 11 2016 at 20:07
Two of my favorite Floyd records, how to choose!

Atom Heart mother it is!

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: October 12 2016 at 22:32
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

I can dig that man.... yeah.. Ummagumma by a couple of lightyears.  The Studio side more interesting even today to listen to...  and the live side just leaves Atom Heart Mother in the dust.

Umma Gumma by a long shot for me too and for the same reasons.

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: October 13 2016 at 01:09
Atom is not bad. 

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: March 22 2018 at 07:35
AHM

love the live album, the studio one not so much (Wright and Gilmour did pretty well though)

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: March 22 2018 at 08:02
I really love also Ummagumma, but it was really a giant leap between those two albums!

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk