Print Page | Close Window

Would the world be better off without Banjo's?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Topics not related to music
Forum Name: General Polls
Forum Description: Create polls on topics not related to music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=107783
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 11:58
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Would the world be better off without Banjo's?
Posted By: EddieRUKiddingVarese
Subject: Would the world be better off without Banjo's?
Date Posted: September 09 2016 at 22:29
Before the invention of Banjo's, people lived without suck music and picking berries and mushrooms. Being Banjoless, they had no twang or music to chew hay to and consequently they were sad. They also had no reason to yell and holler. Whereas guitars ruined everything for the banjo and distanced the banjo player from nature and hillbillism.  Smile

-------------
"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!

Replies:
Posted By: JediJoker7169
Date Posted: September 09 2016 at 23:22
I don't want to live in a world without Big Big Train's "Uncle Jack," or the genius of Béla Fleck, for that matter.

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: September 10 2016 at 00:11
I would lie to say " yes " but then, those few charming songs I have that feature this 'hicksville' instrument, wouldn't be the same.
Accordion and Harmonica fall into the same category.........

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: September 10 2016 at 00:16
It's the only thing entertaining or funny about Steve Martin anymore, so I'm gonna have to say Yes.  Yes it would.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: Vompatti
Date Posted: September 10 2016 at 03:52
No. There probably wouldn't even be prog without the banjo as Robert Fripp was heavily influenced by it.

Posted By: Darious
Date Posted: September 10 2016 at 04:10
youtu.be/myhnAZFR1po

-------------
Writing about truth is a little bit like getting your dick out in public and hoping no one laughs (Steve Hogarth)

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: September 10 2016 at 07:21
The bass banjo was once prevalent but was banned from the planet after the Squid Alien invasion. The treaty was signed and look where we are now. I for one think it was a bad idea to ban such a beautiful instrument from existence. It opened up the door for Miley Cyrus

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: September 10 2016 at 08:04
No banjo, no Dave Cousins. No Cousins, no Strawbs. No Strawbs, no Hero And Heroine.

Banjo's are more important to prog than you think.

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: September 10 2016 at 08:06
I'll take Bela Fleck any day over half the prog poseurs folks gush about on this forum.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: The T
Date Posted: September 10 2016 at 10:48
I'd commit suicide twice in a world without banjos

-------------

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: September 10 2016 at 11:31
funny you ask...

The Trump voter's regional anthem. LOL

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: September 10 2016 at 11:36
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

No banjo, no Dave Cousins. No Cousins, no Strawbs. No Strawbs, no Hero And Heroine.

As poetically lovely as that sounds, it isn't true in any sense of the word, especially considering that Hero and Heroine doesn't feature a banjo as far as I recall.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: September 10 2016 at 12:01
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

As poetically lovely as that sounds, it isn't true in any sense of the word, especially considering that Hero and Heroine doesn't feature a banjo as far as I recall.
But it is very banjo-like. The impression of banjoism is heavy in that album. Banjoish even.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined

Date Posted: September 10 2016 at 12:43
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

No banjo, no Dave Cousins. No Cousins, no Strawbs. No Strawbs, no Hero And Heroine. Banjo's are more important to prog than you think.

But it is very banjo-like. The impression of banjoism is heavy in that album. Banjoish even.

Yeah, you're right, the banjosh mellotron tape set is used extensively on several tracks.

-------------
What?

Posted By: AEProgman
Date Posted: September 10 2016 at 12:53
No.  Bela Fleck's "Flight of the Cosmic Hippo" and others by him make it to the playlist frequently.  Also he and Chick Corea did some good stuff together.
Image result for bela fleck and chick corea

Can't let this thread go without putting in one of those Banjo jokes that a drummer friend often quotes:
Q: What is the difference between a banjo and an anchor?
A: You tie a rope to an anchor before you throw it overboard.

-------------

Posted By: Terrapin Station
Date Posted: September 10 2016 at 13:47
I love bluegrass, so keep banjos.

Posted By: Magnum Vaeltaja
Date Posted: September 10 2016 at 14:16
Before the advent of banjos, cinema was much better. They had classier actors and better scripts. Fresher popcorn and better smelling ushers.

-------------
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents

Date Posted: September 10 2016 at 14:59
Originally posted by Terrapin Station Terrapin Station wrote:

I love bluegrass, so keep banjos.

Clap

country rocks... but Bluegrass.... RULES...

hell yeah... I think I need me some Kentucky Thunder!!!

even Raff loves this sh*t man...

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: September 10 2016 at 16:32
One of the greatest bluegrass albums of all time:

-------------

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: September 10 2016 at 17:14
Black metal with banjo anyone?

Date Posted: September 10 2016 at 18:07
^ banjo is SOOOOO metal... I would go as far as to say I'd  pre-order a DT album.. 2 of them in fact if he who hath no name decided to pointlessly shamelessly shread on a banjo... at least the same pointless noodling showoff bullsh*t would sound good.

One of the greatest bluegrass albums of all time:

Heart

one?  Honestly.. I'd be hard pressed to consider one that is greater...

-------------

Date Posted: September 26 2016 at 17:01
Very Metal Micky Big smile- example below:

-------------

Date Posted: September 27 2016 at 14:41

No banjo, no Dave Cousins. No Cousins, no Strawbs. No Strawbs, no Hero And Heroine. Banjo's are more important to prog than you think.

Yeah, you're right, the banjosh mellotron tape set is used extensively on several tracks.
Dave Cousins+banjo=early Strawbs. And Dave was killer on the 5 string!

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Date Posted: September 27 2016 at 14:48
Originally posted by EddieRUKiddingVarese EddieRUKiddingVarese wrote:

Very Metal Micky Big smile- example below:

nice... but better... LOL

-------------

Date Posted: September 27 2016 at 16:53
Is very cool but still prefer Thunderstuck on Banjo. Actually prefer the Black in Black songs (and earlier) to the later songs like thunderstruck.............. Old aussie at heart!

-------------

Posted By: Ozark Soundscape
Date Posted: September 27 2016 at 18:50
No banjos means most of America's folk music is gone, so nah.

Date Posted: September 27 2016 at 18:53

Is very cool but still prefer Thunderstuck on Banjo. Actually prefer the Black in Black songs (and earlier) to the later songs like thunderstruck.............. Old aussie at heart!

no doubt man... that is like comparing pre and post sobriety Aerosmith...  sobriety ripped the guts out of that group as much as Bon's death did.  both continued and hell ..sold millions of albums.. but that spark was gone.

-------------

Date Posted: September 27 2016 at 19:05
Yea the spark was good- regret that I never saw them live back in the day- saw plently of other Oz acts back then but not AC/DC. Rose Tattoo would pretty cool live back in the day, also Angels, Skyhooks, Cold Chisel, Midnight Oil etc

-------------

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: September 29 2016 at 05:21
I used to think the worst of banjos as a teenager, probably as bad as accordion, but today, I kind of like the banjo, but I still hate the accordian

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: September 29 2016 at 06:27
Originally posted by JediJoker7169 JediJoker7169 wrote:

I don't want to live in a world without Big Big Train's "Uncle Jack," or the genius of Béla Fleck, for that matter.

Though the banjo may not be my favourite instrument, its contribution to good music is undeniable. Uncle Jack is a fine example Approve.

-------------

Date Posted: September 29 2016 at 06:37
Maybe not Granpa Jones hey

-------------

Posted By: doompaul
Date Posted: September 29 2016 at 11:57
Jim Henson is spinning in his grave right now.

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: September 29 2016 at 12:10
I wouldn't want to live in a world without B.F Shelton

-------------

Posted By: CPicard
Date Posted: September 29 2016 at 13:24
I can't believe no one has mentionned this duo yet:

Date Posted: September 29 2016 at 15:56
Originally posted by doompaul doompaul wrote:

Jim Henson is spinning in his grave right now.

Good work hey............. took ages Cool

-------------

Date Posted: September 29 2016 at 16:35
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

but I still hate the accordian

The Pogues rock the  f*cking accordion.

-------------

Date Posted: September 29 2016 at 16:41
More nasty nasty nasty stuff (actually I like the Pogues but this is toxic below......... yuck! Ian Anderson would not approve!

-------------

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: September 30 2016 at 10:22
no

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Date Posted: September 30 2016 at 17:12
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

no

I did at least post it with a warning (should have said will burn your eyes and ears)

-------------

Date Posted: October 01 2016 at 01:27
I dislike all resonator and drone instruments, of which the banjo is the worse since it combines both in one wholly disagreeable instrument. The only thing in its favour is that most of it's combustible, which is more than can be said of its b'stard-cousin the resonator guitar. Banjos just encourage people to do that horrible nasal-twang 'singing' (I use the word under duress) and that has to be stopped. 

-------------
What?

Date Posted: October 01 2016 at 08:20

I dislike all resonator and drone instruments, of which the banjo is the worse since it combines both in one wholly disagreeable instrument. The only thing in its favour is that most of it's combustible, which is more than can be said of its b'stard-cousin the resonator guitar. Banjos just encourage people to do that horrible nasal-twang 'singing' (I use the word under duress) and that has to be stopped. 

Our opinions differ greatly here. So, naturally, I will post a Rory Gallagher video that will surely annoy you, but which many people might consider a great use of a resonator guitar.

-------------

Date Posted: October 01 2016 at 08:42
...oh dear, resonator plus bottleneck... not that I'll ever be enticed to press play on that video at least I hope that Rory has spared me the accompanying nasal 'singing' that would pile insult on top of injury.  LOL

-------------
What?

Date Posted: October 01 2016 at 09:08

...oh dear, resonator plus bottleneck... not that I'll ever be enticed to press play on that video at least I hope that Rory has spared me the accompanying nasal 'singing' that would pile insult on top of injury.  LOL

If it's one thing that can't be applied to Rory, it would be "nasal singing". I don't believe that was in his repertoire. A great jam, though. You should listen, Dean, and expand your cramped horizons.Wink

-------------

Date Posted: October 01 2016 at 09:38

If it's one thing that can't be applied to Rory, it would be "nasal singing". I don't believe that was in his repertoire. A great jam, though. You should listen, Dean, and expand your cramped horizons.Wink
That's like encouraging me to broaden my already catholic tastes by listening to the sound of a metal comb being scraped across a window pane while several cats are mating in an alleyway. I can just about cope with Mr Jeffery Beck strangling a Fender with a bottleneck and get twitchy when Mr David Gilmour reaches for his lap steel guitar but I doubt my frayed nerves could endure the otherwise excellent Mr Rory Gallagher applying said implement of torture to a guitar mutation that already sets my teeth on edge (however well played). Cry

Each to his own and all, but I'll decline the invite. 

-------------
What?

Date Posted: October 01 2016 at 09:58

That's like encouraging me to broaden my already catholic tastes by listening to the sound of a metal comb being scraped across a window pane while several cats are mating in an alleyway. I can just about cope with Mr Jeffery Beck strangling a Fender with a bottleneck and get twitchy when Mr David Gilmour reaches for his lap steel guitar but I doubt my frayed nerves could endure the otherwise excellent Mr Rory Gallagher applying said implement of torture to a guitar mutation that already sets my teeth on edge (however well played). Cry

Each to his own and all, but I'll decline the invite. 

Slide guitar too? No Allman Brothers or Johnny Winter? Ah well, I won't belabor the point as we are at opposite poles here.

-------------

Date Posted: October 01 2016 at 17:01
Please no more Accordions, I'm still trying to get over the last one- Unless..... you have some more mutilation of Prog Classics, which is always fun................Embarrassed

-------------

Date Posted: October 02 2016 at 02:01
Accordions are fine, too:

Date Posted: October 02 2016 at 05:48
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

Did you check out Aqualung on Accordion a page back ......................??

-------------

Date Posted: October 03 2016 at 01:30

Yes, I did.

And I LOVED it!

Date Posted: October 03 2016 at 01:35

Yes, I did.

And I LOVED it!

Glad it tickled your fancy.................

-------------

Date Posted: October 03 2016 at 12:00

Enough banjo bashing! Feel free to stomp some accordions.
Witchwood: Dave Cousins-banjo and voice, Rick Wakeman-keys, Toby Hooper-guitar, Richard Hudson-drums, John Ford -bass.

Date Posted: October 04 2016 at 03:46
Let's look at this from the perspective of condiments, herbs and spices. None of these are "food", they will not sustain us but they enhance the flavour of food and make it more palatable. So starting with the basic condiment of salt - everyone is born with a need for salt and as a condiment everyone is comfortable with the idea that not only is it a necessity in life, the flavour of food is enhanced by using just the right amount of it, to each of us salt tastes the same - it tastes salty - and our sense of taste is geared to determining the optimum quantity to meet our needs without spoiling the flavour of the food. So then consider chilli peppers - these affect all of us in pretty much the same way, taste-wise they all taste the same but with varying degrees of heat and people born into cultures where chillies are widely used can take more heat than those who are not, yet over time those who are not can build up a tolerance to the heat and can "learn" to like chillies - and with that we all reach our own comfort-level where we know we can go further but choose not to. Now take coriander - by comparison to salt and chilli this is an innocuous herb that does nothing but change the flavour of food and there are those who like it and those who don't, and some of those who do think there has yet to be a dish created that cannot be improved by the use of this flat leaved herb while there are some who don't who feel that one measly leaf is enough to taint an entire cooking pot. Now unlike salt and chilli, coriander tastes differently to different people - some find its flavour to be repugnant and this is not a cultural thing or an exposure thing, it's not something that they can grow to like because the taste will never change and this is a genetic trait that some people are born with. I am unable to describe the flavour of coriander in a positive way because I have no idea how it tastes to people who like it - some say it has a lemony fragrance but that's a foreign concept to me because its bitter sourness is nothing like any lemon I've ever tasted. Conversely, people who love coriander have no concept of how it tastes to those who don't.

For me the banjo, resonator geeetars, accordion, concertina, bagpipes and nasal twangery are not like salt that my music needs to enhance its flavour, nor are they like chilli that I can learn to tolerate and indeed love, they are coriander to my tastes. I grew up in a household where music made using these instruments was commonplace - from C&W to folk of all varieties including Bluegrass, Celtic and Hawaiian music. I couldn't even begin to tell you the number of hours I spent in folk clubs as a kid listening to guys with beards singing songs with their hands cupping their ears while playing folk tunes on acoustic guitars, fiddle and upright bass and I loved it, but as soon as someone stepped on stage with banjo or squeezebox my heart would sink. So no amount of exposure to these instruments will make me like them and even the sweetest piece of music played by the most expert musicians in the world will be rendered unpalatable by their use. 

Bottleneck and Slide guitar? That's chilli to me - thanks to Messrs Beck and Gilmour I have developed an appreciation level beyond which I shall not go, anything else is just a pain in the bum. Smile

-------------
What?

Date Posted: October 04 2016 at 04:07
^So much for variety being the spice of life. Bless those with an eclectic palate, both musical and culinary.

-------------

Date Posted: October 04 2016 at 04:43
^ or not - the problem with analogies is they only work up to a point - and with eclectic tastes the end result can be indiscernible from having none at all. Wink

However, in the interests of harmony here's a taste of 1969 you may appreciate:

-------------
What?

Date Posted: October 04 2016 at 08:23
Thumbs Up

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk