Print Page | Close Window

Barclay James Harvest appreciation thread.

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=107793
Printed Date: April 16 2024 at 01:40
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Barclay James Harvest appreciation thread.
Posted By: Kingsnake
Subject: Barclay James Harvest appreciation thread.
Date Posted: September 11 2016 at 05:42
Any Barclay James Harvest enthousiasts out here?
To me, one of the most important bands to ever reach my ears and heart.

To start the ball rolling, my top 5 albums and top 5 songs.

Top 5 albums:
1. Octoberon
2. Once Again
3. Everyone is Everybody Else
4. ... and other Short Stories
5. Turn of the Tide

Top 5 songs:
1. The Poet/After the Day
2. Summer Soldier
3. The World Goes On
4. For No One
5. The Song for the Dying

Replies:
Posted By: Hrychu
Date Posted: September 11 2016 at 20:26
I don't listen to BJH too much, so here's my top two songs

1. Mocking Bird
2. She Said

-------------
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!

Date Posted: September 12 2016 at 01:09
Well, those are great songs. Both from Once Again.

So I guess that's your favorite album.

Posted By: POTA
Date Posted: September 13 2016 at 11:36
Caught in the Light is a top 50 favorite album of mine. My friends and I played it nonstop in college (not long ago in the 2010s funny enough)

Posted By: noni
Date Posted: September 13 2016 at 11:38
I love this band.

Posted By: Quinino
Date Posted: September 13 2016 at 12:47
I really enjoyed them at the time, mainly Octoberon (I might still have the LP somewhere stacked in the attic).
Now you force me to go and re-listen everything, you devil Wink

Not exactly the same genre but if you prefer your music on a mellower tone maybe will like Cordon Bleu, an album by the Dutch band Solution from around the same era as BJH (for some reason I get the same feeling from both these bands and used to listen them sequentially)

Date Posted: September 13 2016 at 14:03
With BJH, Jethro Tull and Camel it all started for me.

BJH - Octoberon
Camel - Mirage
Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick
oh and
Gentle Giant - Free Hand

BJH is indeed very mellow. I already had some music of Moody Blues on cassette, when I was 10 years old or so. So I guess I was born to be a soft-prog enthousiast. :D

Octoberon to this day still is my favorite album and The World Goes On is some kind of anthem to me. My credo, it helps me pull through....

Posted By: Son.of.Tiresias
Date Posted: September 13 2016 at 16:15
I love all their early work with Stuart Wolstenholme. The Mellotron Master. All excellent, not a single dull song. 3 lead vocalist, each having a style completely own. What bands had 3 lead vocalists ? Not so many. BJH never copied anyone or anything. Totally unique sound. Melodies & singing harmonies second to none. Never get tired of those albums. "Time Honoured Ghosts", from 1975 my fav, perhaps... One of very finest pop bands in the late 60īs really as well, I mean musically. Pioneers of symphonic pop music, they toured with a symphonic orchestra... long time ago. They created timeless music... in the 70īs.

-------------
You may see a smile on Tony Banksī face but thatīs unlikely.

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: September 13 2016 at 22:03
I love them........

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Date Posted: September 14 2016 at 02:31
Actually BJH were copying Moody Blues and Beatles, but to great effect.

Eventually they had their own sound, and the albums without Wolstenholme are not as good (agreed), but I have some post-Wolstenholme favourites, like Turn of the Tide, but the sympho was gone, and they were sounding a lot more like Bee Gees.

I like John Lees as a songwriter. Really underrated. He made several lyrical tributes to Moody Blues, Beatles, David Bowie.

Agreed that BJH had a great 3-vocal approach (The Moody Blues and The Beatles did it aswell, to great avail).
Another band symphoband that springs to mind, is Camel. They had three vocalists, but not very good, though.

Date Posted: September 14 2016 at 02:33
I must also add that the new John Lees' version of BJH is very nice.

Mel and Woolly sadly both died, so there's only Les and John left.
Both touring with their own versions of BJH. I like Lees' version the best. It has that particular romantic sound, and John still plays songs like The Poet/After the Day, Medicine Man and Summer Soldier.

Posted By: AlanB
Date Posted: September 14 2016 at 02:36
Mockingbird was always playing on the stereo in my 6th form common room, and then in my 20s I had a friend who was really into BJH. I quite like them, but all I have is a compilation album. I think my favourite songs of theirs are

Mockingbird
Berlin
Ursula (The Swansea Song)
Hymn
Poor Man's Moody Blues

Date Posted: September 14 2016 at 02:43

Hi AlanB,

I think you should try out the following full albums:

- Once Again
- Gone to Earth
- XII

Date Posted: September 14 2016 at 07:31
Originally posted by Kingsnake Kingsnake wrote:

Eventually they had their own sound, and the albums without Wolstenholme are not as good (agreed), but I have some post-Wolstenholme favourites, like Turn of the Tide, but the sympho was gone, and they were sounding a lot more like Bee Gees.

I like John Lees as a songwriter. Really underrated. He made several lyrical tributes to Moody Blues, Beatles, David Bowie.

Agreed that BJH had a great 3-vocal approach (The Moody Blues and The Beatles did it aswell, to great avail).
Another band symphoband that springs to mind, is Camel. They had three vocalists, but not very good, though.

No they did not copy anybody, they had their very own sound & style from very beginning. Revisit "Early Morning Onwards" compilation album containing singles etc. material prior they studio albums. Of course they got inspiration from both bands mentioned but who didnīt back in the day ? I hear nothing of those bands in the classic BJH sound really. Thatīs why their are so great and more prog than Moodies for me.
Yes, they vocal range is wider than any others, in style & sound.

Otherwise agree. Man, you have a great taste and sense for melody & harmony. Respect. 

-------------

Date Posted: September 14 2016 at 07:55
Originally posted by Son.of.Tiresias<div>Otherwise agree. Man, you have a great taste and sense for melody & harmony. Respect. </div><div>[/QUOTE Son.of.Tiresias
Otherwise agree. Man, you have a great taste and sense for melody & harmony. Respect. 
[/QUOTE wrote:

Thanks. :D

When I said 'copied', I should have said 'inspired by'.

Thanks. :D

When I said 'copied', I should have said 'inspired by'.
Of course they were not merely a copy of Beatles or Moodies. BJH quickly went beyond the psychrock of the 60's, creating a somewhat unique sound.

The only thing coming close is some songs of the real early King Crimson.
But, to this day, I haven't heard any progband creating something similar to Medicine Man, Mockingbird, Poet/After the Day, Summer Soldier or Song for the Dying.

Just because BJH is soft doesn't mean it can't be good. The band's music is really mellow and something to fully enjoy. Especially when walking through nature or relaxing in the grass (on the headphones, of course).

The comparison to Beatles and Moodies is alwasy easy (because of the singing bassplayer and guitarplayer).
But on closer view, the comparison is weaker. BJH were in their prime, when both bands were not recording anymore.

And when BJH released Gone to Earth and XII, The Moodies released the weak Octave.

Also worth checking is John Lees solo and Wolstenholme solo (also Maestoso).

Posted By: POTA
Date Posted: September 14 2016 at 08:05

"In the year 1994 I asked Justin Hayward, singer of the Moody Blues (Nights in white satin) in the Moody Blues Newsletter what he think about the song "Poor Manīs Moody Blues" of Barclay James Harvest. He answered: 'It was interesting and I was flattered that they gave us credit that we had been an influence on them'."

Date Posted: September 14 2016 at 08:32
John Lees even stated that he wrote the song, because the press were calling them the Poor Man's Moody Blues.

So John took the chords of Night in White Satin and created a new song (with almost the same subject, feel and structure). Where the Moodies had a flutesolo, John played a guitarsolo in the middlesection

Justin sang: "Cause I love you, Yes I love you, Oh how I love you"
 and John sang: "Cause I need you, Yes I want you, Yes I love you".

Well, Justin didn't mind, John didn't mind, the fans didn't mind. And now the world has two wonderful songs, instead of one.
John did this kind of thing (paying hommage) a lot in his songs and lyrics.

In The Great 1974 Mining Disaster he borrowed a songtitle from the Bee Gees, and referred lyrically to David Bowie (Man Who Sold the World and Space Oddity).
In  See Me, See You he sang 'Hey Jude' after each chorus.

Titles is comprised of songtitles of Beatles' songs.
In Nova Lepidoptera,  John used the titles of popular SF-novels to create the lyrics.
In The Tale of Two Sixties, he pays hommage to almost all his heroes (David Bowie, Buddy Holly, etc.)

John is also the only progrock-lyricist that wrote about sex and sexuality (Polk Street Rag was about the movie Deep Throat, Loving Is Easy is about fellatio or even more explicit...)
Even Vanessa Simmons was about a prostitute, but it was less eplicit.

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: September 14 2016 at 16:04
I have been a fan since 1975 when "Child of the Universe" got a LOT of airplay on the Montreal FM station.  I was fascinated by its similarity to the song "Crime of the Century" by Supertramp, but both came out around the same time so I don't think either writer had heard the song by the other.  After that, onward and upward through the 1970s.  My favorite studio albums in approximate order would be

1) Octoberon
2) Everyone is Everybody Else
3) Once Again
4) XII
5) Time Honoured Ghosts/Gone to Earth/Short Stories

The Harvest material was harder hitting but less consistent.  When they lost Woolly they went downhill, but that may have also just been a sign of the times.  Of the post Woolly albums, only "Ring of Changes" seems above average to me, although most have at least a couple of strong tracks.  A few of their early singles are definitely worth seeking out, especially "Early Morning" and "Poor Wages", both available on a lot of compilations.  The most recent album by the John Lees version is probably the best thing since "Ring of Changes", and features several long tracks which are the best, particularly "On Leave" as a tribute to Wolstenholms.

Only saw them live once, in about 2009 at Nearfest.  Great show.  Wolstenholme was more or less the MC, and quite funny.  In retrospect he made a very poignant and prescient remark, referencing a common reaction to a fan telling a friend that they are going to see Barclay James Harvest, something like "Barclay James Harvest?  Aren't they dead".  Woolly said something like "we're working on it.  Or give it time"  Unhappy

Date Posted: September 16 2016 at 06:09

John Lees even stated that he wrote the song, because the press were calling them the Poor Man's Moody Blues.

So John took the chords of Night in White Satin and created a new song (with almost the same subject, feel and structure). Where the Moodies had a flutesolo, John played a guitarsolo in the middlesection

Justin sang: "Cause I love you, Yes I love you, Oh how I love you"
 and John sang: "Cause I need you, Yes I want you, Yes I love you".

Well, Justin didn't mind, John didn't mind, the fans didn't mind. And now the world has two wonderful songs, instead of one.
John did this kind of thing (paying hommage) a lot in his songs and lyrics.

In The Great 1974 Mining Disaster he borrowed a songtitle from the Bee Gees, and referred lyrically to David Bowie (Man Who Sold the World and Space Oddity).
In  See Me, See You he sang 'Hey Jude' after each chorus.

Titles is comprised of songtitles of Beatles' songs.
In Nova Lepidoptera,  John used the titles of popular SF-novels to create the lyrics.
In The Tale of Two Sixties, he pays hommage to almost all his heroes (David Bowie, Buddy Holly, etc.)

John is also the only progrock-lyricist that wrote about sex and sexuality (Polk Street Rag was about the movie Deep Throat, Loving Is Easy is about fellatio or even more explicit...)
Even Vanessa Simmons was about a prostitute, but it was less eplicit.

Great post, very informative. Vanessa Simmons, funny kind of name. I didnīt know she was a hooker... Iīm glad John wrote it for her. She must have been a lovely girl. There are many songs about lovely girls in Barclay James Harvest mythology, Iīm delighted that they tell stories about women in a positive sense. Thatīs an important part, makes their music so nice.

-------------

Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: September 16 2016 at 08:48
BJH are a bit of an enigma for me. "Once Again" is in my top 10 prog albums of all time, possibly top 10 of all albums. It's just a wonderful album from start to finish. I have listened to some of their other albums and never got the same feeling from any of them. I will persevere but so far they're a bit of a one album band for me.

Date Posted: September 16 2016 at 09:08
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

BJH are a bit of an enigma for me. "Once Again" is in my top 10 prog albums of all time, possibly top 10 of all albums. It's just a wonderful album from start to finish. I have listened to some of their other albums and never got the same feeling from any of them. I will persevere but so far they're a bit of a one album band for me.
My first guess is, you should stick with their "harvest'-years. They were the most symphonic in those years.
There are four Harvest-albums (the first four). On top of that, their first Polydor album was a double sided live album (simply called Live), that is comprised of songs from their first four albums. The songs have a more expanded and rock-feel to it.

Maybe the period 1974-1978 can be interesting. The music is more a kind of soft classic rock with pseudo-symphonic elements. Quite atmospheric and romantic. Their most progressive album of that period is Octoberon, wich has almost anything a prog-enthousiast will enjoy.

When you're not into Barclay James Harvest that much, you should avoid anything after 1978. After that is mostly soft-pop, middle-of-the-road AOR. Still likeable to me, though.

For the symphonic-enthousiast I can really recommend the latest John Lees' Barclay James Harvest album North.

Date Posted: September 18 2016 at 19:41

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

My first guess is, you should stick with their "harvest'-years. They were the most symphonic in those years.
There are four Harvest-albums (the first four). On top of that, their first Polydor album was a double sided live album (simply called Live), that is comprised of songs from their first four albums. The songs have a more expanded and rock-feel to it.

Maybe the period 1974-1978 can be interesting. The music is more a kind of soft classic rock with pseudo-symphonic elements. Quite atmospheric and romantic. Their most progressive album of that period is Octoberon, wich has almost anything a prog-enthousiast will enjoy.

When you're not into Barclay James Harvest that much, you should avoid anything after 1978. After that is mostly soft-pop, middle-of-the-road AOR. Still likeable to me, though.

For the symphonic-enthousiast I can really recommend the latest John Lees' Barclay James Harvest album North.

nice summation Thumbs Up

Note that the Live album from 1974 includes material from albums 2-5, album 5 being the first Polydor release "Everyone is Everybody's Else".  As such it's an excellent option for someone who has only gotten into "Once Again".

I agree with your opinion of North.  Some really strong stuff there

Date Posted: September 19 2016 at 01:19
You know. It's been a long time since I played Live.
I didn't even remember there were songs from Everyone is Everybody Else on it.
But that even adds to the beauty, because that's a stellar album, with the magnificent Child of the Universe and For No One.

Posted By: Matti
Date Posted: September 19 2016 at 03:16
Once Again is my favourite, but I also appreciate the mid/late 70's era (Gone to Earth etc).

North is indeed surprisingly good. BTW, does any of you know what the list of alphabets (abbreviations or whatever they are) in the song 'In Wonderland' means?
(My promo copy doesn't contain lyrics, nor did I find the lyrics in the net, otherwise I'd write the alphabets here.)

Date Posted: September 19 2016 at 03:52
Originally posted by Matti Matti wrote:

Once Again is my favourite, but I also appreciate the mid/late 70's era (Gone to Earth etc).

North is indeed surprisingly good. BTW, does any of you know what the list of alphabets (abbreviations or whatever they are) in the song 'In Wonderland' means?
(My promo copy doesn't contain lyrics, nor did I find the lyrics in the net, otherwise I'd write the alphabets here.)

I will play the record later today and will pay close attention. Maybe I can answer your question.

Date Posted: September 19 2016 at 08:30

You know. It's been a long time since I played Live.
I didn't even remember there were songs from Everyone is Everybody Else on it.
But that even adds to the beauty, because that's a stellar album, with the magnificent Child of the Universe and For No One.

Unfortunately Child of the Universe is not on "Live".  There is an excellent version on "Live Tapes", the next live album.  I'm guessing that, at the time of "Live", Child had not yet attained classic status

Date Posted: September 19 2016 at 08:44
Now that we're discussing Child of the Universe.

I find it interesting that John Lees never was satisfied with the end result of the song. As such, there are dozens of versions of the song. There is the album version, the John Lees soloversion, 3 or 4 radio versions and the different live versions. The liveversions are always different to the original albumversion.

I like the John Lees soloversion the best. With extended pianosolo and orchestra.

Date Posted: September 19 2016 at 20:29

Now that we're discussing Child of the Universe.

I find it interesting that John Lees never was satisfied with the end result of the song. As such, there are dozens of versions of the song. There is the album version, the John Lees soloversion, 3 or 4 radio versions and the different live versions. The liveversions are always different to the original albumversion.

I like the John Lees soloversion the best. With extended pianosolo and orchestra.

I'm still going with the original.  The combination of piano and synth showed that the band was thinking outside the box, and it sounds great.  The guitar solo at the end, like so many on EIEE, is dripping with emotion.  But I do like the Live Tapes version alot, especially for the outtro again, with Wolstenholme playing a new melody on keys before Lees chimes in

I had the John Lees' solo album but it was just too funky for me.  Sadly I sold it and I only kept one song, "Untitled Number 3", which sounds the most like BJH.

edit:  whoa, I just found John Lees' "A Major Fancy" on spotify, including bonus tracks, one of which is Eagles "Best of My love".  We had already seen the BJH love for the Eagles on "poor Boy Blues" and "Mill Boys" as well as the lead solo on "Rock n Roll Star"

Date Posted: September 20 2016 at 01:16
Yeah. John Lees really was the most diverse songwriter, from folk to rock to blues to country to boogie to ballads and even heavy metal on Face to Face.

I like that on Everyone is Everybody Else, the songs Poor Boy Blues and Mill Boys are strung together and share the same melodies. In that sight, it's almost one song written together. And that's rare, for Les and John to write together.

Date Posted: September 20 2016 at 08:38

Yeah. John Lees really was the most diverse songwriter, from folk to rock to blues to country to boogie to ballads and even heavy metal on Face to Face.

I like that on Everyone is Everybody Else, the songs Poor Boy Blues and Mill Boys are strung together and share the same melodies. In that sight, it's almost one song written together. And that's rare, for Les and John to write together.

The democracy in early BJH slowly faded.  On the first couple of albums, most songs were credited to the whole group, and most vocals were handled by Woolly, regardless of who wrote the song.  Mockingbird is a good example, which Lees has claimed as his but which seemed like a group effort.  Increasingly after, the albums became duels between the pop oriented Holroyd and the folkier, more lyrically deep Lees.  I thought that sometimes this split worked well, but especially in the 1980s and 1990s, it highlighted the weakening of the material offered by both.  In some ways Holroyd became the more interesting, especially on albums like "Turn of the Tide", where Lees seemed to want to go hard rock and Holroyd embraced the synth pop.

I have always enjoyed the trio of Poor Boy Blues, Mill Boys and For No one.  The first two cleverly blend melodies and the third is just what's needed at that moment.

BJH don't get a lot of respect around here especially among those seeking more "challenging" prog.  Some have even expressed surprise that they are here, even though they have always been associated with the prog movement.  What irks me is when bands like Supertramp, who are arguably more light and pop oriented than BJH, seem to be so idolized here  

Date Posted: September 20 2016 at 09:48
I don't even have to discuss wether BJH deserves a place here.

Long ago, when the term progressive rock didn't exist, we learned that symphonic rock was 'pop' or 'rock' music infusing elements of classical music. BJH fits perfectly into symphonic rock, as are Moody Blues, Sky, The Nice, Ekseption etc.

Maybe BJH never explored polyrhythms or disonants but they perfectly knew how to mix classical music, poetry and rockmusic.
When the seventies were over and BJH hit it big, with middle of the road-pop, they were less of a symphonic rockband, but neither were The Moodies, etc,

BJH is very underrated in that matter, and maybe dismissed too soon. 

Date Posted: September 20 2016 at 10:01
I do remember the local university station in Ottawa, in 1979, had a DJ who so loved BJH that he was sometimes called "Barclay James Grainger".  He began every show with "Song for You" off Time Honoured Ghosts.  When XII came out they did a big feature on it, and talked about how BJH was often the target of critics.  The other DJ referred to BJH as an excellent progressive rock band.  So the term was definitely in use at that time.   Unfortunately, their Euro success in the 1980s was not duplicated at all in North America, where they remained best known, if at all, for their 1974-1977 period.  I would have been quite happy if they had achieved success here on any terms.  What they did was no worse a sell out than many who struck it big in that decade.

Date Posted: September 20 2016 at 10:51
Okay, I'm not sure how the genre was defined in other countries.

In The Netherlands we had the Oor Pop encyclopedia. There they had the genre Symphonic Rock (with Queen, BJH, Saga, Rush, King Crimson, Gentle Giant, Eloy, Camel, Pink Floyd) all thrown in together.
That's how I discovered a lot of bands.

I started out with Queen, Saga, Camel and BJH, by the way. 4 totally different but excellent prog-acts.

Posted By: maryes
Date Posted: September 25 2016 at 10:34
My preferfence order: 

1- B J Harvest 
2- Once Again 
3- Everyone is .... 
4- Octoberon

Posted By: Pennsylvanian
Date Posted: October 04 2016 at 16:59
I picked up "Everybody is Everybody Else" vinyl a few months ago.  I enjoy most of it... particularly "Paper Wings" and the closing trilogy "Mill Boys", etc.  "For No One" is particularly powerful.  

Where should I go from here?

Date Posted: October 04 2016 at 17:09
Originally posted by Pennsylvanian Pennsylvanian wrote:

I picked up "Everybody is Everybody Else" vinyl a few months ago.  I enjoy most of it... particularly "Paper Wings" and the closing trilogy "Mill Boys", etc.  "For No One" is particularly powerful.  

I think maybe the album just called "Live" from 1974.  This has quite a few songs originally on the album you have as well as a few of the classics from Harvest.  If you like those, try "Once Again".  If you like the Everyone is Everybody Else tracks especially, go with Octoberon.

Date Posted: January 30 2017 at 02:23
Been listening to the difficult 80's albums of Barclay James Harvest today:

- Turn of the Tide
- Ring of Changes
- Victims of Cirumstance
- Face to Face

I think the albums have their moments, especially the John Lees-songs. But it's mostly 2 or 3 songs per album that are nice. The ballads are mostly terrible. At least that's what I think.
With Ring of Changes I have the felling they tried to copy Long Distance Voyager by the Moody Blues (same producer).

Date Posted: January 30 2017 at 02:25
Originally posted by Pennsylvanian Pennsylvanian wrote:

Time Honoured Ghosts, Octoberon, Gone to Earth and XII are all great mid-70's albums with that folky feeling.
You can;t go wrong with these albums. Less mellotronthan their Harvest-albums, but still very high standard soft-prog.

Posted By: Cosmiclawnmower
Date Posted: February 02 2017 at 14:54
I first heard BJH on 'Live' around 1974 (courtesy of my older brother); i was struck by what a powerful, melodic and direct sound they had. Then it was 'Time honoured Ghosts' and 'Everyone is Everybody else' and the 4 Harvest lps. I saw them first in 79 and again in 82. I lost touch with them (had a family so lost touch with lots of things!) until 2002 when John Lees and Woolly Wolstenholme took the BJH legacy out on the road. The Buxton opera house gig which was going to be a '40th anniversary of 'Once again' but became a tribute to the life of Woolly Wolstenholme was possibly one of the most moving and emotional concerts ive ever been to. Ive seen JLBJH about 12 times since and i just enjoy their warm, personal and generous spirited concerts and long may they continue.

If you can, try and hear the 1977 live version of 'Medicine man' which was originally released as a 7'' 33rpm EP with a live version of 'Rock n roll Star' which pre-dates the 'Live tapes' lp. Although its a slightly rough recording, its the heaviest BJH you will ever with some of the best guitar solos you will ever hear from John Lees.

I think that BJH along with the Moody Blues and Procul Harum, created in the late 60s a particular type of pastoral, symphonic proto prog, which was certainly informed by psychedelia and the Beatles and precursor for King Crimson's first lp. I think that is why, for some, it is passed up as 'not being Prog'. Elbow (in their early days) spoke about early BJH (as well as being fellow lancastrians) and Trespass era Genesis being big influences on their sound.

-------------

Posted By: ProcolWho?
Date Posted: May 12 2017 at 23:20
In Search Of England

Always thought that was an amazing track.

Posted By: ProfPanglos
Date Posted: July 25 2017 at 17:52
Glad to see a BJH appreciation thread.  I adore Octoberon and Turn of the Tide - they are definitely both in my top 100, must-own albums list.

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: July 26 2017 at 02:15
Only the songs 'She Said' and 'Ra' mean anything to me. I've tried many albums of theirs over the years, but only hung on to Octoberon and Once Again. Mediocre for me.

Date Posted: July 26 2017 at 15:18
Has anyone heard the BJH 1972 harvest single released under the pseudonym of 'Bombadil'?? I think they were trying to re-coup some money after a tour with the orchestra nearly bankrupted them. Its an instrumental with a early 70's UK pop beat like the 'Glitter band' Hand clap/ foot stomp beat!! The 'B' side is a very nice little Woolly Wolstenholme song called 'When the city sleeps'.. I lost interest when Woolly left and re- kindled my interest an enthusiasm when he and John Lees fired up JLBJH. Woolly's sad death was a real shock and he is still very much missed by his fans.

-------------

Posted By: grantman
Date Posted: July 28 2017 at 11:31
child of the universe best song ever !!!!

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: July 28 2017 at 12:37
I think the first 7 or 8 are all pretty good but I don't really have a favorite...but the first two are the ones I seem to play the most.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Prog-jester
Date Posted: August 27 2017 at 19:12
For some reason I've always been fascinated with the whole BJH imagery - their vinyls' artwork, their photos - but never gave a chance to their music, until this spring. I started from the debut and worked my way up their discography, eventually giving up on 1990's "Welcome to the Show". Those 80s albums are very, very bad, perfectly showing what was wrong with the music business in the 80s and particulary the hardships 70s bands faced trying to adapt to the new sound, the synth era, the MTV decade ("Invisible Touch" anyone? Maybe "Big Generator"?).

As for their earlier stuff - some solid hits here and there ("For No One", "Mocking Bird", "She Said", "Dark Now My Sky", "Ra", etc), but not a single whole album I would recommend...They all overfilled with very samey, comfort-zone, ear-pleasing, major-scale pop-folk tunes, sometimes impossible to tell one from another - that's why things like "For No One" stand out.

For newbies - go with "Live" (1974), it's basically the-best-of played live - and boy playing live they could! Also there's a noticeable level of energy, sadly missing from the sanitized studio recordings, so yeah, begin with "Live"...and maybe stop there.

I'd love to find some more pastoral, Mellotron-heavy prog from that era, but not as tame and senile as BJH or Moodies - more like Crimso ballads or Comus epics

Posted By: YESESIS
Date Posted: August 30 2017 at 00:03
I really appreciate this thread. I'm embarrassed to admit that I hadn't even heard of this band until well.. seeing this thread lol. But the last couple days I've been listening to them a lot and I REALLY like it. The soft rock/easy listening sound that they have is just right up my alley. So yeah, thanks again for turning me on to this band. I'm discovering a lot of good stuff since joining this forum. 

Date Posted: August 30 2017 at 03:54
Originally posted by Prog-jester Prog-jester wrote:

I'd love to find some more pastoral, Mellotron-heavy prog from that era, but not as tame and senile as BJH or Moodies - more like Crimso ballads or Comus epics

Try Cressida. They mad two fairly nice albums. A bit jazzy, a bit folky, but pastoral.

For harder edged mellotron bands, try the newer bands like Anekdoten and My Brother the Wind.

Date Posted: August 30 2017 at 04:02
Hmmm. I typed a nice piece to recommend albums, but the forum thinks I'm a robot, and I can't post my reply :(

Date Posted: August 30 2017 at 04:04
I play all their albums, but Ring of Changes upto River of Dreams almost never.
My last favorite album is Turn of the Tide.

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: August 30 2017 at 05:25

For some reason I've always been fascinated with the whole BJH imagery - their vinyls' artwork, their photos - but never gave a chance to their music, until this spring. I started from the debut and worked my way up their discography, eventually giving up on 1990's "Welcome to the Show". Those 80s albums are very, very bad, perfectly showing what was wrong with the music business in the 80s and particulary the hardships 70s bands faced trying to adapt to the new sound, the synth era, the MTV decade ("Invisible Touch" anyone? Maybe "Big Generator"?).

As for their earlier stuff - some solid hits here and there ("For No One", "Mocking Bird", "She Said", "Dark Now My Sky", "Ra", etc), but not a single whole album I would recommend...They all overfilled with very samey, comfort-zone, ear-pleasing, major-scale pop-folk tunes, sometimes impossible to tell one from another - that's why things like "For No One" stand out.

For newbies - go with "Live" (1974), it's basically the-best-of played live - and boy playing live they could! Also there's a noticeable level of energy, sadly missing from the sanitized studio recordings, so yeah, begin with "Live"...and maybe stop there.

I know BJH pretty much since I got into music and I liked them a lot in the beginning, so my story with them is very different... but these days what you write is very precisely what I think about them, pretty much down to the specific songs mentioned.
The only addition is that the "Live"-version of Medicine Man is my favourite by them now.

Posted By: irrelevant
Date Posted: August 30 2017 at 08:49
A real nice 'n' comfy band. So far I've only heard Everyone is Everybody Else and Time Honoured Ghosts. The latter is my favourite of the two.

-------------
https://gabebuller.bandcamp.com/" rel="nofollow - New album!
http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7385

Date Posted: August 30 2017 at 09:19

you could try Strawbs, particularly "Grave New World".  Very mellotron heavy but with more edge than BJH yet paradoxially more folkie

Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: August 31 2017 at 15:28
Don't know much about them to be honest apart from the obvious famous songs. However I did see John Lees BJH at The New Day festival last week and they were excellent. I didn't expect to enjoy them so much and I wasn't even tanked up on booze!

Date Posted: September 01 2017 at 15:08
Ive seen John Lees BJH a dozen or so times in the last few years and really enjoyed all of 'em. It just feels weird that the last time I saw them before was in 1981/82 on the 'turn of the tide' tour which was so big and slick and before that, one of my first ever gigs was on the XII tour in 1979 in Bristol (the last tour with Woolly on keyboards).

the 1974 Live is a great introduction to the band, particularly if you are looking for the 'heavier' side of the band. If you are looking for a 'truly blistering' version of Medicine man then the version which was on the 1978 live 'Rock n roll star' ep (which was then on 1978's Live Tapes) but the version of medicine man recorded on that tour was used to back this 33rpm 7inch.. I don't know if its been released as an extra on a recent re-issue or available on YouTube but if you can find it, its well worth the listen!!

-------------

Date Posted: September 02 2017 at 00:18
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

[...] If you are looking for a 'truly blistering' version of Medicine man then the version which was on the 1978 live 'Rock n roll star' ep (which was then on 1978's Live Tapes) but the version of medicine man recorded on that tour was used to back this 33rpm 7inch.. I don't know if its been released as an extra on a recent re-issue or available on YouTube but if you can find it, its well worth the listen!!

It's on the remastered version of Live Tapes, and it's a bonustrack on the remastered version of Gone to Earth.

Date Posted: September 02 2017 at 15:16
Great, many thanks! I did look on the JLBJH site an saw the track listings on the re-mastered versions.. i'm still living in the vinyl days and am a bit behind the times!

-------------

Posted By: Prog-jester
Date Posted: September 06 2017 at 02:28

Try Cressida. They mad two fairly nice albums. A bit jazzy, a bit folky, but pastoral.

For harder edged mellotron bands, try the newer bands like Anekdoten and My Brother the Wind.

thanks, I love these and been loving their stuff for years already)
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I know BJH pretty much since I got into music and I liked them a lot in the beginning, so my story with them is very different... but these days what you write is very precisely what I think about them, pretty much down to the specific songs mentioned.
The only addition is that the "Live"-version of Medicine Man is my favourite by them now.

Yes! Forgot to mention that I too prefer live version of this legendary song of theirs
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

you could try Strawbs, particularly "Grave New World".  Very mellotron heavy but with more edge than BJH yet paradoxially more folkie

thanks, I will!

Posted By: hegelec
Date Posted: September 08 2017 at 00:51
My favourite BJH story is when they had to cut their set short at a gig they were playing with Comus because of a power outage. So Comus came out again and saved the gig with an impromptu acoustic set, which they could do being a 90% acoustic act anyway. Apparently BJH were so embarrassed about the incident (and by being totally, utterly upstaged by their supporting act) that they flat out refused to play with Comus ever again.

tl;dr Comus rules ... hard.

-------------
Cheers!

Date Posted: March 02 2018 at 03:46
Esoteric Recordings released 3-CD versions of their most important albums:

Everyone is Everybody Else
Octoberon
Gone to Earth
XII

And although these have been re-released a million times, and a three-cd version of the same album is a bit much, I must say that the new stereo-remixes are all worth a listen.

I am now (with headphones) listening to Octoberon, and the stereo-remix reveals so much, I haven't heard before. The choir-section of May-Day is so much more beautiful and brings chills down my spine.
Edit: Ra is even more impressive and warm. wow!

I have XII and Octoberon, so I will get a hold of Everyone is Everybody Else and Gone to Earth next.

I wonder why they didn;t re-release Time Honoured Ghosts.
Anyway, I wonder what your thoughts are on the re-releases.

More info:
http://www.esotericrecordings.com/discography-shop-b.html

Date Posted: March 05 2018 at 21:43

Esoteric Recordings released 3-CD versions of their most important albums:

Everyone is Everybody Else
Octoberon
Gone to Earth
XII

And although these have been re-released a million times, and a three-cd version of the same album is a bit much, I must say that the new stereo-remixes are all worth a listen.

I am now (with headphones) listening to Octoberon, and the stereo-remix reveals so much, I haven't heard before. The choir-section of May-Day is so much more beautiful and brings chills down my spine.
Edit: Ra is even more impressive and warm. wow!

I have XII and Octoberon, so I will get a hold of Everyone is Everybody Else and Gone to Earth next.

I wonder why they didn;t re-release Time Honoured Ghosts.
Anyway, I wonder what your thoughts are on the re-releases.

More info:
http://www.esotericrecordings.com/discography-shop-b.html

hmm, those are probably my favorite BJH studio albums along with "Once Again".  But I rarely buy CDs anymore, unless it's a crowdfunding effort.  

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk