Print Page | Close Window

Porcupine Tree

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific prog albums
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=107830
Printed Date: March 28 2024 at 12:05
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Porcupine Tree
Posted By: Xiadz
Subject: Porcupine Tree
Date Posted: September 14 2016 at 10:52
This is about to get a little specific. I am looking for something similar to a few songs by Porcupine Tree.

Shesmovedon

Trains

Russia On Ice

(There are definitely others, but I can't think of names off of the top of my head).

I am looking for more music that is like these songs. I would highly prefer artists that kind of do this sound in general, because I would really like to find some albums that carry this kind of sound throughout them. Something dark, and emotional like these songs are. I listen to a lot of metal, so I'll take any suggestions that are more metal-related than Prog, but I am really looking for something that is more prog, sort of quieter. I have enough loud, dark, emotional metal and I just need to find some softer, emotional things.

Let me know if you have any suggestions that fit this. Sorry for being so specific. Thanks in advance!

Replies:
Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: September 14 2016 at 11:09
The last two Riverside albums and even the others have dark, slower quieter songs, not too heavy or metal in them.

-------------

Posted By: Watchmaker
Date Posted: September 14 2016 at 11:20
Have you checked Wilson's projects? He has done a lot of things outside PT.
Riverside sounds very dark and emotional.
Departure Songs by We Lost the Sea is pretty much what you describe. Check my review on the site to see if it appeals to you.
Opeth fans are usually PT fans and vice versa. Their album Damnation may be what you are looking for. Anathema have a light sound, especially in their latest albums.
Slint's Spiderland is very dark and very emotional but they have released only 2 albums in total.
Phideaux may be a good suggestion too. Also The Pineapple Thief, although too soft for me.

Apart from these don't miss Radiohead, Oceansize, Tool and Agalloch for some masterful -and emotional- music.

Oh and great profile picture btw Smile

Date Posted: September 14 2016 at 12:26
I really like Blackfield in particular. I used to listen to Storm Corrosion but it has been a while. I'll have to do so again.

I've been listening to some Riverside but still have to explore a bit.

I'll try the other suggestions. I love Agallocb and Opeth, and Damnation is great. It's basically exactly what I am looking for, as is Agalloch's The Mantle. I have had Phideuax suggested to me before a few times, so it may be time to finally check them out. Not sure why I didn't before. Probably lack of time at the time. Do you recommend a specific album at all?

Thank you! Yours is quite nice as well.

Date Posted: September 14 2016 at 12:27
I have heard one of them. I'll definitely check out the other. Thanks!

Posted By: Watchmaker
Date Posted: September 14 2016 at 12:41
Steven Wilson's The Raven that Refused to Sing (the album and especially the song) are the definition of "dark and emotional". They should put it as an example in a dictionary entry.
From Phideaux I have listened to Doomsday Afternoon (masterpiece) and Snowtorch (very, very good). If you are into symphonic prog, give them a listen.
If you are into rock or if you want to try to get into, go for Radiohead (I doubt they are the band you think they are) or Oceansize (if you want something heavier). If you want to rekindle that metal fire, Tool is the way to do it.
If I were you, I would listen to Raven first, then Departure Songs. Not that these are the most fitting albums for your specifications, but their quality is unmatched.

Posted By: aglasshouse
Date Posted: September 14 2016 at 13:17
Lightbulb Sun is by the the greatest Porcupine Tree album. Hands down.

-------------
http://fryingpanmedia.com

Date Posted: September 14 2016 at 13:23
Originally posted by aglasshouse aglasshouse wrote:

Lightbulb Sun is by the the greatest Porcupine Tree album. Hands down.

I agree. Entirely. My favourite.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: September 14 2016 at 21:02
I guess "The Final Breath before November" from Edison's Children might just as well do the trick, or IQ's "The Road of Bones", though both were very popular a few years ago, so you might have heard them already. Perhaps Anekdoten too, the one I have heard is the last one, "Until all the ghosts are gone". Another newer less known one is Deep Limbic System, though they haven't even released a full album yet; the songs I like more are "Dysania" and "A Ceiling of Stars". And last, but not least, check out David Bowie's last album... you can't get any more depressing than that, considering the situation under which it was recorded.

Posted By: aliano
Date Posted: September 15 2016 at 00:39
You should definitely check the Norwegian band White Willow, especially their last 3 albums. They are dark, emotional and have a kind of similar sound to PT but a bit more symphonic. I think you will like them.

Posted By: PhideauxFan
Date Posted: September 15 2016 at 03:56
Listen to these artists:

-Abigail's Ghost,
-Paul Cusick,
-Strattman,
-DeeExpus,
-Cosmograf,
-Pinkroom,
-Demians,
-Delusion Squared,
-Monnaie De Singe (MDS),
-Ossicles,
-Realeaf.

StarStarStarStarStar

Posted By: Pastmaster
Date Posted: September 15 2016 at 18:55
Ever heard Katatonia? They have that similar melancholy/depressive sound that PT does.

Posted By: deandob
Date Posted: September 17 2016 at 16:51
You might like this moody & atmospheric metal - Blindead, s1

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk