URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=107903
Printed Date: April 30 2024 at 22:49
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Ultimate prog song/album/band
Posted By: Larkstongue41
Subject: Ultimate prog song/album/band
Date Posted: September 23 2016 at 12:28
Hi folks!
I recently found myself unable to pick a song which I considered to be the ultimate piece of prog to show to a friend who showed interest in the genre. I then challenge any of you to be satisfied with choosing only one song, one album and one band that you think represents progressive rock best. This can both be in terms of sound or in terms of "progressiveness".

In no way can I say I am satisfied with my choices, but here are my picks:

Song: The Court Of The Crimson King - King Crimson
Album: Tubular Bells - Mike Oldfield   
Band: Premiata Forneria Marconi (PFM)

-------------
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."

Replies:
Posted By: fishbender
Date Posted: September 23 2016 at 14:40
Impossible to answer.
"Suppers Ready " -Genesis ?
"The Underfall Yard "- Big Big Train ?
Jesus man, you're going to make me have to listen to my whole catalogue........

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: September 23 2016 at 15:02
Originally posted by fishbender fishbender wrote:

Impossible to answer.
"Suppers Ready " -Genesis ?
"The Underfall Yard "- Big Big Train ?
Jesus man, you're going to make me have to listen to my whole catalogue........

Yes, this is an impossible question to answer. Too many to choose from.

Posted By: EddieRUKiddingVarese
Date Posted: September 23 2016 at 15:24
Brown Shoes Don't Make It / Absolutely Free / The Mothers

Nasty Nasty Nasty

-------------
"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: September 23 2016 at 15:26
I like your Crimson choice and for me many of their other longer tracks fit the bill as well as the band in general and one of their  albums .....but if I was to present an example of ultimate 'progness' I might choose Close To The Edge by Yes as a classic one.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: bongolong
Date Posted: September 23 2016 at 16:13
My answer is easy, it's all Gentle Giant

Song: The Advent Of Panurge
Album: Octopus
Band: Gentle Giant

...to me Gentle Giant shows the complexities of prog, but it is also accessible to "prog-virgin" ears.

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: September 23 2016 at 16:24
Something super basic for beginners I'd suggest:
Song: The Musical Box
Album: Thick as a Brick
Band: King Crimson

-------------

Posted By: Magnum Vaeltaja
Date Posted: September 23 2016 at 17:31
If we're going for stuff that I think most people new to prog would like that isn't totally scum tier prog-lite, I'd probably pick:

Song: Roundabout
Album: In The Court of The Crimson King
Band: Genesis

In all reality, though, the idea of picking just one song, one album and one band to use to introduce any average Joe off the street to the genre is absurd. If you want people to actually get into a genre, just pick music within the genre that has elements of stuff they already like. 

-------------
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents

Posted By: ClemofNazareth
Date Posted: September 23 2016 at 18:38
Would probably give different answers to this question every time but today let's do this -

Gates of Delirium, because there's nothing else like it.

Misplaced Childhood, because it is perfectly encapsulated and complete.

Jethro Tull because there are only imitators, no predecessors.

-------------
"Peace is the only battle worth waging."

Albert Camus

Posted By: mechanicalflattery
Date Posted: September 23 2016 at 19:47
I'm defining "ultimate" to mean "quintessential" or even "average", so nothing unique or too challenging. You people picking GG or KC are being silly, few people will like those albums right from the start, you have to ease them in. Hell, I liked prog for a while before I started liking the weirder (and better) groups.

Band: Camel
Album: Close to the Edge
Song: Firth of Fifth

Boring choices, but the question demands boring answers

Posted By: Kingsnake
Date Posted: September 24 2016 at 02:28
Band: Gentle Giant (because they can do anything)
Album: Thick as a Brick
Song: Lunar Sea

Tomorrow maybe thing are different, but this is what I can instantly think of.

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: September 24 2016 at 04:59
Song-Lucky Girl
Album-Illusions On A Double Dimple
Band-Triumvirat

Posted By: progbethyname
Date Posted: September 24 2016 at 06:34
To the OP, this question could never be definitively answered however I would like to play along and give my opinions cause I think it may breed interesting topics of conversation.

Song: Supper's Ready ( the seconds out Live version with Phil Collins on VOX)
This track is a paradigm for building a prog epic. So many artists have taken liberties to get inspired to create 20+ minute songs. It's really one of the best I think.

Band: I'd have to use Pink Floyd because they combine the complex, the accessible, the strangely versatile and melodic in just about all their albums. Certainly the Floyd have a very unique discography. DSOTM, WYWH and The Wall will provide any prog enthusiast what they desire or crave to hear. I feel those 3 albums have it all.

Album: now here's an interesting choice and I'm sure many will think I'm not nailing it here, but The Alan Parsons Project: Tales Of Mystery & Imagination gets the nod. This album is a great accomplishment in music in general.
It is uniquely lavish, conceptual, heavy, light and technical which I feel really what prog represents as a complex rock genre. In 1976 this album cost 500,000$ to make! That is a lot for that time, but it was money well spent in the right areas especially in the studio.

Those would be my choices to spring prog onto someone. Very original.

-------------
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: September 24 2016 at 06:45
Originally posted by Larkstongue41 Larkstongue41 wrote:

Hi folks!
I recently found myself unable to pick a song which I considered to be the ultimate piece of prog to show to a friend who showed interest in the genre. I then challenge any of you to be satisfied with choosing only one song, one album and one band that you think represents progressive rock best.

well... if one kicks out the Genesis fanboys and their hyperinflated notions of the group...only proggers like them.. they didn't get popular until they ditched prog... there is one band that exemplifies progressive rock. That became one of the biggest bands in the world playing prog rock.

that song that does  - Close the Edge. It's greatest song
the album that does - Tales From Topographic Oceans. It's greatest album
the group that does - Yes. It's greatest group.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: September 24 2016 at 09:05
Band - Camel
Album - The Snow Goose
Track - Pareidolia (Haken) jointly with The Night Sky (Mostly Autumn)

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Date Posted: September 24 2016 at 09:11
LOL yeah...  f**king Camel it is...  so select a 5th division Prog band with one of the worst vocalists in prog to best represent prog to newbies.

no wonder prog has such a bad name.. between Genesis and f**king Camel fans pushing their favorites as representative of prog to the unwashed masses.

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: September 24 2016 at 09:58
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Album: now here's an interesting choice and I'm sure many will think I'm not nailing it here, but The Alan Parsons Project: Tales Of Mystery & Imagination gets the nod. This album is a great accomplishment in music in general.
It is uniquely lavish, conceptual, heavy, light and technical which I feel really what prog represents as a complex rock genre. In 1976 this album cost 500,000$ to make! That is a lot for that time, but it was money well spent in the right areas especially in the studio.

Great selection. I didn't even consider Alan Parsons Project, but this is an awesome intro-to-prog choice.

-------------
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents

Posted By: 2dogs
Date Posted: September 24 2016 at 10:14
Close to the Edge would surely give someone a good idea of what prog was generally about Thumbs Up.

Date Posted: September 24 2016 at 15:05
I know this is a bit of an absurd exercise, but I still think it is interesting and I am certainly enjoying seeing you guys' choices. I have also been thinking of Pawn Hearts (and VDGG in general) which shows the more "eccentric" side of prog, in accordance, perhaps, with bongolongs and kingsnakes choices of Gentle Giant.

Date Posted: September 24 2016 at 15:07
"Si On Avait Besoin D'une CInquieme Saison" also comes to mind being native of the area where the band is from in addition to the great demonstration of the symphonic elements of prog.

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: September 24 2016 at 18:09
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

LOL yeah...  f**king Camel it is...  so select a 5th division Prog band with one of the worst vocalists in prog to best represent prog to newbies.

no wonder prog has such a bad name.. between Genesis and f**king Camel fans pushing their favorites as representative of prog to the unwashed masses.

You're American, I believe. This may explain your total lack of taste.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Date Posted: September 24 2016 at 19:18
^
This is gonna be good Big smile

-------------

Posted By: mechanicalflattery
Date Posted: September 24 2016 at 19:41
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

^

*Pulls up a chair, puts feet up, pops open a cold one*

Posted By: BarryGlibb
Date Posted: September 25 2016 at 04:11
Song: Thick As A Brick
Album: Thick As A Brick
Band: Thick As A Brick (an obscure Jethro Tull tribute band from Albania (!))

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: September 25 2016 at 06:08
Took a slight liberty. Well, several really.

Recommendations for the progressive rock new person.

Song (vocal): Starless - a great song, brilliant water torture tension building guitar solo, monumental climax
Instrumental: Los Endos - a fine example of many layers, textures and detail.
Album (Vocal): The Dark Side Of The Moon - Thematic variety, conceptual continuity and a universal appeal.
Band (Vocal): Yes. Able to create extended works and later condense the ideas into song form. Full of excitement and imagination.
Band (Instrumental): Univers Zero. Particular mention of writer Andy Kirk. Death walks among you....
One musician: Frank Zappa. Does to people lyrically what DSOTM did for them. Composer, uncompromising, attracted the best musicians.

Date Posted: September 25 2016 at 06:15
Originally posted by mechanicalflattery mechanicalflattery wrote:

Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

^

*Pulls up a chair, puts feet up, pops open a cold one*

sorry to disappoint.. no flame war here.  Hercules and I have a thing going on. Something born of jealously I suppose LOLHeart

I know he wants me...wants to be the Big Mick.. he has long been jealous of me kicking ass on cool genre teams... trailblazing for the site.. all while throwing cool parties at ELP World fanHQ's where all the hot women come... all while the poor guy is stuck on the Neo team and falling asleep at his desk at Camel World fanHQ as him and his geeky Camel fans play Bingo at their parties and wonder why none of the women they invited to their parties showed.... Hah.. they were at my parties watching the cool crew snort lines of coke, drink bottle of Jack, and drive the cars of  newest initiates to our club into the pool of the Piazza di Prog. LOL

-------------

Posted By: Davesax1965
Date Posted: September 25 2016 at 09:19
It's whatever you like at the moment. Which might change tomorrow. 

Pointless question. New thread, please.

-------------

Posted By: 2dogs
Date Posted: September 25 2016 at 09:53
I'm sure I didn't say Electronic Meditation Heart.

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: September 26 2016 at 08:38
Song - Echoes (PF)
Album - Close to the Edge
Band - i can't tell, but not Genesis for sure.

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: Modrigue
Date Posted: September 26 2016 at 08:41
Song : Yes - The Gates of Delirium
Album - Pink Floyd - WYWH
Band - Pink Floyd

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqf2srRfppHAslEmHBn8QP6d_eoanh0eW" rel="nofollow - My compositions

Posted By: AZF
Date Posted: September 26 2016 at 11:05
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Took a slight liberty. Well, several really.

Recommendations for the progressive rock new person.

Song (vocal): Starless - a great song, brilliant water torture tension building guitar solo, monumental climax
Instrumental: Los Endos - a fine example of many layers, textures and detail.
Album (Vocal): The Dark Side Of The Moon - Thematic variety, conceptual continuity and a universal appeal.
Band (Vocal): Yes. Able to create extended works and later condense the ideas into song form. Full of excitement and imagination.
Band (Instrumental): Univers Zero. Particular mention of writer Andy Kirk. Death walks among you....
One musician: Frank Zappa. Does to people lyrically what DSOTM did for them. Composer, uncompromising, attracted the best musicians.

I can't come up with anything better than that and might put Third for instrumental after I've gone to listen to Univers Zero!

EDIT: Wow! Atomic Zero Universal Univers Zero! The list stands!

Posted By: DeadSouls
Date Posted: September 26 2016 at 13:09
Song: Lady Fantasy - Camel
Album: Selling England by the Pound - Genesis

Posted By: thepurplepiper
Date Posted: September 26 2016 at 17:52

Camel certainly aren't 5th division prog. I think they'd make for a decent introduction actually; considering a lot of their music is instrumental (some prog vocalists, including Camels', can be quite iffy) and they have a dearth of extremely lengthy, epic pieces. Instead you could throw on a record and be met with some immediately good music wrapped up in tight songs. And why would Genesis give prog a bad name? They're probably the most famous band within the genre outside of Pink Floyd, and their earlier albums are masterpieces... later records can be pretty good, also.

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: September 28 2016 at 11:17
Song: Supper's Ready
Album: Red by Crimso
Band: Goblin

(today)

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: September 28 2016 at 13:23
Autumn
Hero & Heroine
Strawbs

-------------

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: September 28 2016 at 14:12

Camel a "5th division Prog band"? Well that's just plain poppycock, madam.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Posted By: RoeDent
Date Posted: September 28 2016 at 14:24
Song: The Light - Spock's Beard
Album: Milliontown by Frost*
Band: Pink Floyd

Posted By: HosiannaMantra
Date Posted: September 28 2016 at 15:23
Song: Colosseum - "Valentyne Suite"
Album: Yes - "Close to the Edge

Posted By: Bigbobby10
Date Posted: September 28 2016 at 16:25
Song: Pink Floyd- Summer 68'
Album: Rush- Hemispheres

Posted By: Project Nightscape
Date Posted: September 28 2016 at 18:55
My approach would be to select examples likely to appeal to folks with largely mainstream tastes. To me, that means more neo-prog/space rock/symph-prog than other, more challenging forms of prog (ROI/avant, etc.)...

Song: Marillion, "Lavender/Blue Angel/Heart of Lothian"
Album: Pink Floyd, Wish You Were Here
Band: King Crimson (early/classic period and 80s revival period)

Fairly safe choices, I know, but as others have noted, these kinds of selections seem to be dictated by the question.

-------------
https://projectnightscape.bandcamp.com/releases

www.nightscapeseries.com

In music the passions enjoy themselves. - Nietzsche

Posted By: Son.of.Tiresias
Date Posted: September 30 2016 at 02:47
"Salisbury" by Uriah Heep by light years, still reigns supreme after 45 years (oh dear)

David Byron is the Man

Timeless beauty & harmony. Gotta listen to it right away, again how many times, hundreds, maybe a thousand...Kuvahaun tulos haulle uriah heep salisbury album

-------------
You may see a smile on Tony Banksī face but thatīs unlikely.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: September 30 2016 at 12:06
^ I listed Byron as one of my 'worst prog singers' in the other thread,,.....though he's probably not that bad...I just never liked the way he sang though I do like Uriah Heep anyway.

LOL

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: September 30 2016 at 20:58
As quintesential prog, I would have to go with:
Song: Close to the Edge.
Album: Close to the Edge.
Band: Yes (specially the Close to the Edge line-up). However, if it's about choices that would appeal to non-proggers to get to know the genre, I guess the choices would have to be different, and mostly based around Pink Floys. Also, one song I have found, somewhat by chance, to really create an impression is "Depuis l'automne" by Harmonium.

Date Posted: October 01 2016 at 07:34
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

poppycock? LOL

really... here are the latest tables hanging on the wall of the Piazza di Prog. Not a list of favorites.. obviously as there are bands here that truly suck or personally think are horribly overrated....but a list of bands based on an objective opinion of their import, influence, and relative output.

1st Division.. ie the big 6. The Mount Rushmore of Prog
Yes
King Crimson
ELP
Genesis
Dull
Floyd

2nd Division...  the cult greats. Just odd enough to keep them off the Mount Rushmore of being the 'faces' of prog rock that even non-fans recognize. Only slightly less important in terms of importance and influence to developing and defining the genre.. and in a number of cases.. with even stronger relative output than some of the big 6 LOL

Magma
Caravan
PFM
Can
Gentle Giant
Van Der Graaf Generator

3rd Division... the subtle greats.. a definite step down from the 1st and 2nd divisions in terms of influence importance and all that sh*t... but still vital for helping define prog rock...but still with very strong relative outputs

Dream Theater
Tangerine Dream
Bo Hansson
The Moody Blues
Hawkwind
Gong

4th Division... see 3rd division.. just a bit less impressive in assessing their overall orbit in the prog universe

Supertramp
Henry Cow
Area
Marillion DeadLOL but to deny them their rightful place in the prog heirarchy is stupid.. this isn't a personal popularity contest now is it.. camel fans.
Traffic
Kansas  (see Marillion LOL)

5th Division... beginning to scrap the barrel of important influential bands that left a significant legacy to the genre.

Talk Talk  (give them another couple decades and they move up as their importance will only gain in stature)
Renaissance - pretty much the epitome of 'symphonic prog'
ELO - 'pretty much the epitome of crossover prog.. art rock.. whatever...'
Univers Zero 'if Stravinsky had a rock band.. this would be it' 
Popol Vuh 'world music before there was such a thing...
Camel  ' ahhh.. they are popular on PA's'

-------------

Date Posted: October 01 2016 at 07:53
whoops... one big omission.. and was wrong about Camel...LOL

Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

poppycock? LOL

really... here are the latest tables hanging on the wall of the Piazza di Prog. Not a list of favorites.. obviously as there are bands here that truly suck or personally think are horribly overrated....but a list of bands based on an objective opinion of their import, influence, and relative output.

1st Division.. ie the big 6. The Mount Rushmore of Prog
Yes
King Crimson
ELP
Genesis
Dull
Floyd

2nd Division...  the cult greats. Just odd enough to keep them off the Mount Rushmore of being the 'faces' of prog rock that even non-fans recognize. Only slightly less important in terms of importance and influence to developing and defining the genre.. and in a number of cases.. with even stronger relative output than some of the big 6 LOL

Magma
Caravan
PFM
Can
Gentle Giant
Van Der Graaf Generator

3rd Division... the subtle greats.. a definite step down from the 1st and 2nd divisions in terms of influence importance and all that sh*t... but still vital for helping define prog rock...but still with very strong relative outputs

Dream Theater
Tangerine Dream
SOFT MACHINE
The Moody Blues
Hawkwind
Gong

4th Division... see 3rd division.. just a bit less impressive in assessing their overall orbit in the prog universe

Supertramp
Henry Cow
Bo Hansson
Marillion DeadLOL but to deny them their rightful place in the prog heirarchy is stupid.. this isn't a personal popularity contest now is it.. camel fans.
Traffic
Kansas  (see Marillion LOL)

5th Division... beginning to scrap the barrel of important influential bands that left a significant legacy to the genre.

Area - two words.. Demitrio Stratos
Talk Talk  (give them another couple decades and they move up as their importance will only gain in stature)
Renaissance - pretty much the epitome of 'symphonic prog'
ELO - 'pretty much the epitome of crossover prog.. art rock.. whatever...'
Univers Zero 'if Stravinsky had a rock band.. this would be it' 
Popol Vuh 'world music before there was such a thing...

6th Division -
Camel  ' ahhh.. they are popular on PA's'

for this bracket.. one can fill in any number of other popular groups  than excelled in putting out generic music and were as progressive as my left toe and had little to no influence or importance to the genre.

-------------

Date Posted: October 01 2016 at 13:35
Definitely not a bad list from a neutral/objective point of view, but if you're gonna rank Camel 5th division, you'd have to lower Caravan to that level as well imo. Also, I'd add The Mahavishnu Orchestra, Focus and Mike Oldfield at 2nd division.

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: October 01 2016 at 15:15

objective opinion 

That's an oxymoron.

Date Posted: October 01 2016 at 16:58
Originally posted by Larkstongue41 Larkstongue41 wrote:

Definitely not a bad list from a neutral/objective point of view, but if you're gonna rank Camel 5th division, you'd have to lower Caravan to that level as well imo. Also, I'd add The Mahavishnu Orchestra, Focus and Mike Oldfield at 2nd division.

http://s38.photobucket.com/user/latinsoapsfever/media/forum2/emoticons/efxaristo.gif.html" rel="nofollow"> thanks!  As some oldtimers may remember.. I got recruited to this website from another which tried to 'objectively' rank and evaluate these bands. So netural objetive thought came with the job which naturally that blended well to genre team work.. probably why Ivan kidnapped me LOL you don't judge based on what you like or not.  Just analysis and the facts maam.

That said... really... do you really think that Caravan is on the same level as Camel. IN terms of the criteria set forth.

M.O were here one day gone another..hardly a band that left a lasating footrint other than a couple of classic albums and there are many... MANY bands that qualifty there that did not get ranked.. not to mention it was but one of many vanilla generic instrumental bands in the JR/F branch of prog.  Sure they were great.. so were scores and scores of others. All sound and fury and zero import.  MAD there man...

Focus and Micky.O..  valid suggestions.. likely would have gone 6th Division... either with Camel or bumping them even further. M.O likely the higher of the 3 but again.. those upper 5 divisions were not merely great groups... but those that influenced and to some extents created the various branches of prog itself. If one wants to talk pure muiscality... there are scores and scores and scores of Italian groups that one could put in there.. left off.. as many others were for simply only making a great album or two.. perhaps even 3 but otehrwise not having much of any impact or infuence on the prog world around it.

-------------

Posted By: Upbeat Tango Monday
Date Posted: October 01 2016 at 17:19
Song: Karn Evil 9
Album: Tales From Topographic Oceans
Band: YES

-------------
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.

Posted By: Son.of.Tiresias
Date Posted: October 02 2016 at 04:42
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

^ I listed Byron as one of my 'worst prog singers' in the other thread,,.....though he's probably not that bad...I just never liked the way he sang though I do like Uriah Heep anyway.

LOL

lol hesitant troll

-------------
You may see a smile on Tony Banksī face but thatīs unlikely.

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: October 03 2016 at 14:01
Song - Heart Of The Sunrise
Album - Tales From Topographic Oceans
Band - Yes

Putting aside my Yes bias, let's try it from this angle:

Song - Starless
Album - Brain Salad Surgery
Band - Genesis

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: October 03 2016 at 14:25
Originally posted by bongolong bongolong wrote:

My answer is easy, it's all Gentle Giant

Song: The Advent Of Panurge
Album: Octopus

...to me Gentle Giant shows the complexities of prog, but it is also accessible to "prog-virgin" ears.

I don't know if I'd go that far but they did seem to have a knack for combining the complex with the melodic.

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: October 03 2016 at 14:28
Album: Lark's Tongues in Aspic
Band: Yes

I'll do one more. ;)

Song: Tarkus
Band: Van der Graaf Generator

I could probably do this all day. :P

Posted By: Rosscoe
Date Posted: October 04 2016 at 05:25
Song: Firth of Fifth
Album: English Electric Full Power

Posted By: astrowhiz
Date Posted: October 10 2016 at 14:37
Song: Suppers Ready or Close To The Edge

Album: The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway (I know some people don't really like the story/concept of the album, but for the ambition of it, the musicianship, the theatricality and the strange uniqueness of it)

Band: King Crimson seem to encompass prog.
Although in a sense because Genesis had a different sound/feel on virtually every album they could be seen as constantly musically progressing (some directions more successful than others obviously)
Or maybe VDGG just cos they're uniquely VDGG.

-------------
https://bandcamp.com/astrowhiz" rel="nofollow - https://bandcamp.com/astrowhiz

Posted By: eliunger
Date Posted: October 11 2016 at 14:02
Haken's the mountain album the cockroach king is superv plus Van Der Graaf Generator's pawn hearts album has superbly perfect songs such as A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers. These songs are exceptionally brilliant and talented. 

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: October 11 2016 at 14:15
Band: Pink Floyd

-------------

Posted By: Thatfabulousalien
Date Posted: October 28 2016 at 00:30
My idea of a perfect band would be one that has no box to be put into, so possibly in the so called 'avant garde' field? 
A band that reinvents themselves every album, doesn't look back at the past and where each album is a varied, dynamic experience Smile

-------------
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: October 28 2016 at 07:20
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

objective opinion 

That's an oxymoron.

not really. oxymoron does NOT mean "contradiction in terms", as many people seem to think. an oxymoron is a combination of contradictory terms that by this combination gets a completely new meaning. examples are "bittersweet", "deafening silence" or "open secret". the part written in bold does not apply to "objective opinion".

as to the topic:

song: Van der Graaf Generator - A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers
album: Van der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts
artist: Van der Graaf Generator

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: Mystic Mamba
Date Posted: October 28 2016 at 21:24
That's a tricky one! Prog is such a hard thing to define with just one of anything, but if I were introducing someone to prog, I'd have to go with these:

Song: Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (Dream Theater)
Album: Odyssey, the Greatest Tale (Various Artists)
Band: Yes

I think these choices would give someone a pretty solid idea of what prog is all about.

Posted By: Pastmaster
Date Posted: October 28 2016 at 22:45
I'd show them Nookie, now that's the epitome of RIO/Avant-Prog.

Posted By: progbethyname
Date Posted: October 30 2016 at 17:01
Yeah, I'm still feeling GENESIS are a great reference point to display a lot of the mighty Prog's character.

-------------
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣

Posted By: aglasshouse
Date Posted: October 30 2016 at 17:07
Party People by Parliament.

-------------
http://fryingpanmedia.com

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: October 30 2016 at 23:44
argh! impossible question to answer hmmm maybe but not in possible. this is going to take sometime to think through the "LISTS" so I`ll be back...a.s.a.p.  

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: October 31 2016 at 16:05
Song: And You And I - Yes
Album: SEBTP - Genesis

Posted By: Scorpius
Date Posted: November 06 2016 at 08:17
Song: Echoes by Pink Floyd
Album: for accessibility I would say DSOTM but for progressiveness ITCOTCK
Band: The Floooyd

Date Posted: November 06 2016 at 08:47
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Yeah, I'm still feeling GENESIS are a great reference point to display a lot of the mighty Prog's character.

ahhh....mighty and Genesis do not belong in the same sentence together.  I don't think the point was illustrating the things that give prog a bad name   SleepyLOL

-------------

Posted By: Old King Cole
Date Posted: February 17 2017 at 11:58
Song: Close to the Edge or Supper's Ready
Album: SEBTP
Band: Genesis

Posted By: Arnulf Floyd
Date Posted: July 04 2017 at 04:26
Echoes - "Meddle" - Pink Floyd

-------------
Long Live Rock 'n' Roll

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com