?
???

-------------
Magma America Great Make Again

Replies:
Posted By: EddieRUKiddingVarese
Date Posted: September 24 2016 at 06:51
Hawkwind never fired Lemmy

King Crimson continued without Fripp after Red, you mean the Adrian Belew band....

-------------
"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: September 24 2016 at 06:58
tempted to vote for   Motorhead rules... so it wasn't exactly a tragedy musically....but would have loved to have had at least a few more Lemmy Hawkwind albums.

so I'll go the true musical tragedy... the AOR'ization of Rush and seeing their ugly faces on MTV LOL...

sure they were only a average run of the mill prog band... but they did give us THE NECROMANCER... and you weren't getting anything close to that in 80's Rush

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: September 24 2016 at 07:39
Bill Bruford being in the hot seat for Calling All Stations?

Or vocals? He did seem to think it was better than drumming according to the ABWH making of video. Can't see it.

Crimson without Fripp...? .... .... ????! Sorry, can we go back to me trying simultaneous linear regressive calculations s'il vous plait? Much easier to imagine.

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: September 24 2016 at 07:41
Don't actually want many of those options, no Hatfield, WTF!! Part of Hawkwind's whole psyche is constantly rotating line up. Crimson without Fripp is unthinkable. I'll go with Damo not leaving CAN.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Date Posted: September 24 2016 at 07:50
yeah that was tempting...but Can lived on and prospered without Damo...  I'd rate Soon over Babawamma with the best Damo albums.  Let's be honest... Can was more than Damo.. it was that groove man.. Liebezeit and Czukay were the soul and musical blood of that group.. they were great before him.. and after him. sh*t Ian.. I could have mumbled my way through a 70's Can album and still have it be a 5 star album

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: September 24 2016 at 09:03
The only one that appeals at all is Bruford taking the drum stool in Genesis. Maybe they'd have made some more decent prog.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Date Posted: September 24 2016 at 09:07
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

The only one that appeals at all is Bruford taking the drum stool in Genesis. Maybe they'd have made some more decent prog.

Saint Bruford..... helping the leper of prog... I could have dug that.  Come on man.. Bruford was a good drummer.. one of many in a genre full of them..

now.. if Carl Palmer or Keith Moon had taken up with Genesis.. whoo HOOO... see their musical quotient kicked up many notches. That would given Genesis a much needed shot in the musical arm in purely being interesting to listen to musically forgetting the odd lyrics or damned live gimmics to keep audiences from sleeping in their seats LOL

-------------

Date Posted: September 24 2016 at 09:19
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

yeah that was tempting...but Can lived on and prospered without Damo...  I'd rate Soon over Babawamma with the best Damo albums.  Let's be honest... Can was more than Damo.. it was that groove man.. Liebezeit and Czukay were the soul and musical blood of that group.. they were great before him.. and after him. sh*t Ian.. I could have mumbled my way through a 70's Can album and still have it be a 5 star album

As I said, I was struggling to pick one from this list, this was probably barely interested in hearing what the results might be.

-------------
Ian

Date Posted: September 24 2016 at 09:25
yeah.. this was a weak set.  The Rush one being the less weak of the weak IMO.

I see someone even voted Richard and Camel.  One of the great crimes of prog was how underused he was when he was with the band.  The option should have been... Richard overthrowing Latimer and forcing him to play with a sock in his mouth and letting one of the truly great prog vocalists sing and not one of the worst. 

probably reason TWO that f**king Camel burns in the internal fires of McHell.

number one... Camel - 2... ELP - 0 LOL

-------------

Posted By: CPicard
Date Posted: September 24 2016 at 10:05
Brian Eno never fired from Roxy Music (he didn't leave, he was fired by Bryan Ferry): having some Roxy Music LPs including "Baby's On Fire", "Third Uncle", "Here Come the Warmjets" or "King's Lead Hat" would have been a blast!

Date Posted: September 24 2016 at 10:10
Hard to imagine Ferry trying to croon Baby's On Fire!!

-------------
Ian

Posted By: Magnum Vaeltaja
Date Posted: September 24 2016 at 10:17
Two of these are really speaking to me... King Crimson and Khan.

I would have loved to hear an album of Bruford, Wetton, Cross, Mel Collins and (hopefully) Muir all jamming together with another guitarist. Of course, Cross, Collins and Muir aside, didn't that one really already happen in the form of UK?

The Khan one would be awesome, too. I was never a huge Hatfield & The North fan, but loved Space Shanty, so this one would be ideal for me. 

Ended up voting for Khan.

-------------
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents

Posted By: LearsFool
Date Posted: September 24 2016 at 10:31
A lot of strange potential in this one, nothing I'd vote for...

... all I think I know for certain is Eno not getting booted out of Roxy would've kept him from a solo career and so eliminated several of the foundations of music as we know it. For the love of all that is holy, if you get the chance to mess with history, don't interfere with that!

-------------

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: September 24 2016 at 11:13
Eno never left Roxy Music.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: progmatic
Date Posted: September 24 2016 at 12:16
Here's one for next poll:
What if Elton John was hired as vocalist/keyboardist for King Crimson after his audition?

-------------
PROGMATIC

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: September 24 2016 at 12:25
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

The Khan one would be awesome, too. I was never a huge Hatfield & The North fan, but loved Space Shanty, so this one would be ideal for me. 

Ended up voting for Khan.
Blasphemy! Angry Wink Hug

-------------

Posted By: AZF
Date Posted: September 24 2016 at 12:26
Although "Here Come The Warm Jets" with Roxy Music would of been amazing, I voted for Lemmy not being fired from Hawkwind.
There's no way King Crimson would of carried on without Fripp.
Bruford in Genesis would be hilarious, but we wouldn't get any work from them as they'd be arguing still over time signatures!
I'd like to see another poll of these options, but I think the best of them have already been done.

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: September 24 2016 at 18:52
The "whole" Can just over a second Khan.

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Posted By: Pastmaster
Date Posted: September 24 2016 at 19:40
King Crimson continuing without Fripp, they probably would have become a good band.

Date Posted: September 24 2016 at 20:16
Originally posted by Pastmaster Pastmaster wrote:

King Crimson continuing without Fripp, they probably would have become a good band.

Just not KC.

-------------
Ian

Posted By: mechanicalflattery
Date Posted: September 24 2016 at 20:22
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Originally posted by Pastmaster Pastmaster wrote:

Just not KC.

To be fair, the KC of Discipline onwards has little to do with past-KC, to the extent that it really should have just been considered a separate group (as originally planned). I say this as someone who loves Discipline. I mostly stopped liking KC between Larks and Discipline, with the exception of their improvisational instrumentals, so I don't see much reason for KC to have continued. The reborn iteration is another group entirely (a damn good one at that). 

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: September 25 2016 at 12:08
The TD thing. Some drums and less sequencer...who knows how it could have been...

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: September 25 2016 at 14:47
More Camel with Richard Sinclair for me. Best singer and bass man they had, shame that it didn't really work out with him.

Soon Over Babaluma is one of my Can favourites; I like Damo but wouldn't have wanted to miss that one.

2nd best option probably Hillage staying in Gong (but I'd have preferred Malherbe staying in Gong).

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: September 25 2016 at 15:18
I am perfectly fine with actual history concerning all of these, but the one I find most appealing is a second Khan album, much as I like Hatfield.  Stewart and Hillage had a rare chemistry and it would have been great to hear that moving forward.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: September 25 2016 at 15:41
Some good choices there but I'm  big fan of that Khan album so I wish Stewart ( and Hillage) would have both done another one.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: HosiannaMantra
Date Posted: September 25 2016 at 15:58
Isn't UK actually King Crimson continuing without Fripp after "Red"? Out of these... I could live with keyboard-less Rush. Also, what about Henry Cow becoming a synth pop group? Or Manuel Göttsching releasing heavy metal albums in the eighties?

Posted By: Progmind
Date Posted: September 25 2016 at 18:07
Voted Hawkwind never fired Lemmy.

Like Micky, I really loved Hawkwind, but if they never fired Lemmy this would be a epic tragedy,  because no Motorhead!!!!!!

Posted By: Mormegil
Date Posted: September 26 2016 at 05:13
Bruford in Genesis. Might have kept the pop songs away, at least for a little while.

-------------
Welcome to the middle of the film.

Posted By: Kingsnake
Date Posted: September 26 2016 at 05:23
I went for Tangerine Dream. They sounded great and fresh and powerfull on Force Majeure. Would've loved if they had continued in that direction. Almost spacerock.

If Sinclair never left Camel, they wouldn't have made Nude etc. and we wouldn't have the lovely Colin Bass in the band.

Posted By: progaardvark
Date Posted: September 26 2016 at 07:06
Quote Bill Bruford became Phil's permanent replacement in Genesis

Replace Collins behind the drums only? Or replace Collins entirely?

I guess that's a moot point, because I can't imagine Bruford sticking around for more than one or two albums in either scenario. Even so, those one or two albums would have been a delight to listen to. I would think Bruford and Banks might have clashed often, but who knows?

-------------
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions

Posted By: zravkapt
Date Posted: September 26 2016 at 09:41
I guess I'm the only one that went with the Hillage option. Was never big on his solo stuff but liked what he brought to Gong.

-------------
Magma America Great Make Again

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: September 26 2016 at 13:35
Khan's second LP please

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: September 27 2016 at 03:20
Originally posted by HosiannaMantra HosiannaMantra wrote:

Isn't UK actually King Crimson continuing without Fripp after "Red"?

I had wondered about that. They even got another fiddler (Eddie Jobson) to take over from David Cross. Close to a real alternate reality.

Henry Cow as synth pop. LOL

Posted By: Flight123
Date Posted: September 27 2016 at 05:05
Rush without keyboards - perhaps it would have stopped them being classed as 'prog'!

I also wonder what would have happened if Harry Willliamson had replaced Tony Banks?

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: September 27 2016 at 12:21
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

The TD thing. Some drums and less sequencer...who knows how it could have been...

Yep.

-------------

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: September 27 2016 at 13:10
I'll say TD with drummer over Bruford with Genesis.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: starless2112
Date Posted: October 11 2016 at 19:54
Khan made another album but Dave Stewart did not join H&TN

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk