Print Page | Close Window

The next neil peart

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Music Lounge
Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10819
Printed Date: December 02 2021 at 15:16
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com


Topic: The next neil peart
Posted By: +dreamtheater+
Subject: The next neil peart
Date Posted: August 28 2005 at 16:58

 

 

Neil peart are consider the best but he became old who is the next best drummer




Replies:
Posted By: Dreamer
Date Posted: August 28 2005 at 16:59
me.... (maybe)


Posted By: Ed_The_Dead
Date Posted: August 28 2005 at 17:00
The next new drumer is consider Mike Portnoy, for I

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/ed_the_dead/?chartstyle=asimpleblue5">


Posted By: +dreamtheater+
Date Posted: August 28 2005 at 17:00

aahahahahahah



Posted By: +dreamtheater+
Date Posted: August 28 2005 at 17:01

the style of portnoy is very mathematical in all is song



Posted By: spectral
Date Posted: August 28 2005 at 17:03

Neil Peart is still the best and will always be the best, regardless of his age!

However, if someone has to succeed him, I would go for Jon Theodore of The Mars Volta.  Technically outstanding and the vulcrum of the band's live performances.



-------------
"...misty halos made visible by the spectral illumination of moonshine."


Posted By: Ed_The_Dead
Date Posted: August 28 2005 at 17:05
??!! I never thought bout his stile as mathematical... Come to think of it, Every great drumer is a bit mathematical. And Portnoy is skilled + has a uniqe, expanssive way of playing, witch I love...  And of course, he is damn varied 

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/ed_the_dead/?chartstyle=asimpleblue5">


Posted By: +dreamtheater+
Date Posted: August 28 2005 at 17:06
jon theodore will never be the best drummer


Posted By: cold103
Date Posted: August 28 2005 at 17:07
gotta be Danny Carey


Posted By: Damen
Date Posted: August 28 2005 at 17:07

Pah, Neil Peart and Bill Bruford are untouchable, but if I HAD to pick a new drummer I fancy, i'd probably go with Martin Nordrum Kneppen from Wobbler, and i'll probably be the only one to say that.



-------------
"It's amazing that we've been able to put up with each other for 35 years. Most marriages don't last that long these days."

-Chris Squire


Posted By: spectral
Date Posted: August 28 2005 at 17:10

Originally posted by +dreamtheater+ +dreamtheater+ wrote:

jon theodore will never be the best drummer

why is that?  he is amazing and utterly engrossing when he plays.



-------------
"...misty halos made visible by the spectral illumination of moonshine."


Posted By: Mnemosyne
Date Posted: August 28 2005 at 17:11
Axel Von Blomberg (Winds, Age of Silence and hundreds of others), Asgeir Mickelson (Borknagar, Lunaris, Spiral Architect), Martin Kneppen also has a nice performance on Asmegin- Hin Vordende sod og Sø. Another great one is Zoltan Csörz (TFK, OPus Atlantica)

-------------
I'm a Man-Owl-Fish.
Creator-Observer-Muse.


Posted By: Ed_The_Dead
Date Posted: August 28 2005 at 17:11

Originally posted by +dreamtheater+ +dreamtheater+ wrote:

jon theodore will never be the best drummer

Long live constructive arguments!!!!!!



-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/ed_the_dead/?chartstyle=asimpleblue5">


Posted By: hukt on fonikzz
Date Posted: August 28 2005 at 17:13
if you mean who will be the peart as in same style then portnoy. he is on the verge of being a pert wanna be but IMO peart is overrated anyway, the best drummers right now (also IMO) are danny carey, john theodore, chris pennie, and ben koller

-------------
there is no spoon...


Posted By: +dreamtheater+
Date Posted: August 28 2005 at 17:13

neil peart don't just play quickly he have a technique and he have a sound amazing when he play



Posted By: spectral
Date Posted: August 28 2005 at 17:15

You can never call Peart overrated.  Just check out YYZ or O Baterista to realise why he is a legend.



-------------
"...misty halos made visible by the spectral illumination of moonshine."


Posted By: hukt on fonikzz
Date Posted: August 28 2005 at 17:18
Originally posted by spectral spectral wrote:

You can never call Peart overrated.  Just check out YYZ or O Baterista to realise why he is a legend.



mm yes you can...he is amazing of course i agree to that, but you cant reely compare him to some other drummers in terms of who is better than who. for me peart is one of the best in his style...for ex. chris pennie of DEP play much more ferociously but at the same time just as technical, peart could probably never do some of the stuff he does, and vise versa for someone like john theodore


-------------
there is no spoon...


Posted By: Biggles
Date Posted: August 28 2005 at 17:41
You know, I've been listening to Peart, but I honestly can't see what all the hype is about. Maybe it's because I'm not a drummer so I can't really make an accurate judgement of how good someone is, but I think Peart pales in comparison to someone like, say, Billy Cobham. In fact, I never thought Rush as a whole had an overwhelming amount of technique, although admittedly the Geddy Lee does pull some cool stuff on "YYZ."

-------------
The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe.

http://www.last.fm/user/sbonfiglioli/?chartstyle=red">


Posted By: pogoowner
Date Posted: August 28 2005 at 17:53
Mark Zonder

-------------
And it might as well be raining, 'cause the sunlight hurts his eyes,
And his ears will never hear the children's cries


Posted By: +dreamtheater+
Date Posted: August 28 2005 at 18:13
who is mark zonder


Posted By: alan_pfeifer
Date Posted: August 28 2005 at 18:17

I nomitae Jon Theodore as well, With Danney Carey and Portnoy following behind.



Posted By: R.Darkmoon
Date Posted: August 28 2005 at 18:19
Originally posted by +dreamtheater+ +dreamtheater+ wrote:

who is mark zonder


A drummer!

Anyway, Spiral Architect's drummer is really good. I would say the battle for the next Peart is between Portnoy and Spiral Architect's


-------------
I'm not antisocial, I just don't like wasting my breath...


Posted By: King of Loss
Date Posted: August 28 2005 at 18:46
Originally posted by hukt on fonikzz hukt on fonikzz wrote:

Originally posted by spectral spectral wrote:

You can never call Peart overrated.  Just check out YYZ or O Baterista to realise why he is a legend.



mm yes you can...he is amazing of course i agree to that, but you cant reely compare him to some other drummers in terms of who is better than who. for me peart is one of the best in his style...for ex. chris pennie of DEP play much more ferociously but at the same time just as technical, peart could probably never do some of the stuff he does, and vise versa for someone like john theodore

But Chris Pennie of DEP has no melody, I saw DEP and the band as a whole totally, totally SUCKED!



Posted By: Tony R
Date Posted: August 28 2005 at 18:54

Originally posted by Biggles Biggles wrote:

You know, I've been listening to Peart, but I honestly can't see what all the hype is about. Maybe it's because I'm not a drummer so I can't really make an accurate judgement of how good someone is, but I think Peart pales in comparison to someone like, say, Billy Cobham. In fact, I never thought Rush as a whole had an overwhelming amount of technique, although admittedly the bassist/singer (forget his name) does pull some cool stuff on "YYZ."

To say that Neil Peart lacks "an overwhelming amount of technique" is,at best,ridiculous and at worst,an embarrassing thing for you to write.
You hardly know the band,yet sit in judgement like an expert. Check out the band's bio and MP3s before spouting this tripe.

or at least add a "" or a ""



Posted By: Single Coil
Date Posted: August 28 2005 at 18:56

He older but not any worse for it.



-------------
If it's worth playing, it's worth playing loud!


Posted By: sonic wizard
Date Posted: August 28 2005 at 19:03
Another good reason to nominate Portnoy is because like Peart, he has great songwriting ability. We should be evaluating candidates on not only drumming technique (which is still very important), but also other musical abilities such as songwriting, composing, singing, or whatever. Which reminds me, Portnoy isn't to shabby at backup vocals.

-------------
Arguing on the internet is a lot like the special olympics - even if you win, you're still retarded.


Posted By: King of Loss
Date Posted: August 28 2005 at 19:06

Originally posted by sonic wizard sonic wizard wrote:

Another good reason to nominate Portnoy is because like Peart, he has great songwriting ability. We should be evaluating candidates on not only drumming technique (which is still very important), but also other musical abilities such as songwriting, composing, singing, or whatever. Which reminds me, Portnoy isn't to shabby at backup vocals.

Yea, I agree there. Some of his musical creations like SFAM and SDOIT are some of the finest I've ever heard or seen in Progressive music history!



Posted By: DallasBryan
Date Posted: August 28 2005 at 19:13
Neil adds up to a pimple on the PROGRESSIVE
BUTT of Billy Cobham, Phil Collins, Furio Cherico,
Jaki Liebezeit, Carl Palmer, Airto Moreira and
Michael Shrieve - SOME GREAT PROGRESSIVE
PERCUSSIONISTS!


Posted By: Tiresias
Date Posted: August 28 2005 at 20:25

unfortunately, Billy Cobham, Philly, Carl Palmer and Aierto Moreira are all older than Neil Peart.

besides wasn't Aierto mostly just a percussionist with Weather Report and Miles Davis?

Their actual drummers did stomp some ass.

The next Peart? Hmm...

Zoltan Czarz from The Flower Kings (sort of)

Danny Carey from Tool

Tim Alexander from Primus

Mike Portnoy from DT

I like Nick D'Virgillo (sp?) from Spock's Beard on the Albums before Feel Euphoria

Pat Mastelotto (just kidding)

 



-------------
Wh'ghal ng'fth mglw'y Ry'leh, Cthulhu fhtagn...





Posted By: pogoowner
Date Posted: August 28 2005 at 20:59

Originally posted by +dreamtheater+ +dreamtheater+ wrote:

who is mark zonder

Mark Zonder is Fates Warning's drummer, or at least was.



-------------
And it might as well be raining, 'cause the sunlight hurts his eyes,
And his ears will never hear the children's cries


Posted By: Arsillus
Date Posted: August 28 2005 at 21:34
Portnoy


Posted By: floydaholic
Date Posted: August 28 2005 at 21:35
Nick Mason

-------------
I'll see you on the Darkside of the moon...


Posted By: el böthy
Date Posted: August 28 2005 at 21:46

mmm...what about the drummer from franz ferdinand??? hahahahaha...now thats being a bad drummer!!!!

hehehehe, well now, I also nomite Portnoy...but Im sure there must be some other excellent drummers out there from whom I have never heard of...



-------------
"You want me to play what, Robert?"


Posted By: ulver982
Date Posted: August 29 2005 at 00:27

Hellhammer!!!!!!!!

but even better then all, the drummer in the White Stripes.  She's crazy on the drums...watch out neil!



-------------
Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius.

Silence is the music of the future.


Posted By: Prog_Bassist
Date Posted: August 29 2005 at 00:29

Originally posted by R.Darkmoon R.Darkmoon wrote:

Originally posted by +dreamtheater+ +dreamtheater+ wrote:

who is mark zonder


A drummer!

Anyway, Spiral Architect's drummer is really good. I would say the battle for the next Peart is between Portnoy and Spiral Architect's

 

I concur.

 

Spiral Architect are gods. People on here should talk more about them!



-------------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhuxaD8NzaY" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhuxaD8NzaY


Posted By: Damen
Date Posted: August 29 2005 at 00:34
Originally posted by ulver982 ulver982 wrote:

but even better then all, the drummer in the White Stripes.  She's crazy on the drums...watch out neil!

I hope that's sarcasm



-------------
"It's amazing that we've been able to put up with each other for 35 years. Most marriages don't last that long these days."

-Chris Squire


Posted By: cobb
Date Posted: August 29 2005 at 00:36
Originally posted by Biggles Biggles wrote:

You know, I've been listening to Peart, but I honestly can't see what all the hype is about. Maybe it's because I'm not a drummer so I can't really make an accurate judgement of how good someone is, but I think Peart pales in comparison to someone like, say, Billy Cobham. In fact, I never thought Rush as a whole had an overwhelming amount of technique, although admittedly the Geddy Lee does pull some cool stuff on "YYZ."


I am not a drummer either- you have to watch him to see what all the hype is about. Amazing


Posted By: limeyrob
Date Posted: August 29 2005 at 03:27

Rush overated - ergo Peart overated.

What's all this about YYZ? Is he only famous for one track on an overated album?



Posted By: porter
Date Posted: August 29 2005 at 06:05
Originally posted by limeyrob limeyrob wrote:

Rush overated - ergo Peart overated.

What's all this about YYZ? Is he only famous for one track on an overated album?

what?!?! have you ever listened to his work with a CRITIC EAR? Peart is a GREAT drummer, he ALWAYS astonishes me, in every single song I hear. He's so passionate and so precise at the same time, he has one of the best drum sounds I've ever heard, so clean and so powerful, technical but with warmth. He may not be the BEST drummer in the world but he IS among the greatest.

Rush overrated? don't see how...



-------------
"my kingdom for a horse!" (W. Shakespeare, "Richard III")


Posted By: hukt on fonikzz
Date Posted: August 29 2005 at 13:35
Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

Originally posted by hukt on fonikzz hukt on fonikzz wrote:

Originally posted by spectral spectral wrote:

You can never call Peart overrated.  Just check out YYZ or O Baterista to realise why he is a legend.



mm yes you can...he is amazing of course i agree to that, but you cant reely compare him to some other drummers in terms of who is better than who. for me peart is one of the best in his style...for ex. chris pennie of DEP play much more ferociously but at the same time just as technical, peart could probably never do some of the stuff he does, and vise versa for someone like john theodore

But Chris Pennie of DEP has no melody, I saw DEP and the band as a whole totally, totally SUCKED!



and your entitled to your opinion, as am i.


-------------
there is no spoon...


Posted By: Shack Man
Date Posted: August 29 2005 at 13:46
being overrated is not an opinion, neil peart lived up to his glory, and you can't just say he is overrated because you prefer other drummers.

-------------
Extraordinary how potent cheap music is...


Posted By: hukt on fonikzz
Date Posted: August 29 2005 at 13:55
Originally posted by Shack Man Shack Man wrote:

being overrated is not an opinion, neil peart lived up to his glory, and you can't just say he is overrated because you prefer other drummers.

how is it not an opinion "i think neil peart is overrated"
it isnt a fact is it? or can you somehow answer that question for me...


-------------
there is no spoon...


Posted By: walrus
Date Posted: August 29 2005 at 14:18
Zak starkey   hhaha

-------------
you and whose army?


Posted By: Biggles
Date Posted: August 29 2005 at 15:10

Originally posted by DallasBryan DallasBryan wrote:

Neil adds up to a pimple on the PROGRESSIVE
BUTT of Billy Cobham, Phil Collins, Furio Cherico,
Jaki Liebezeit, Carl Palmer, Airto Moreira and
Michael Shrieve - SOME GREAT PROGRESSIVE
PERCUSSIONISTS!

I wouldn't really call Michael Shrieve progressive, although he's an incredible drummer.

I'll have to see if I can download some Peart videos. Maybe then I'll see what this is all about...



-------------
The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe.

http://www.last.fm/user/sbonfiglioli/?chartstyle=red">


Posted By: bartok
Date Posted: August 29 2005 at 20:26

My favorites have to be Peart, Bruford, Moerlen, Gadd, and Coliauta.  (Although I love DeJohnette's cymbal work and Copeland's syncopation)

Can't say anything bad about Cobham, but I don't think he's as great as some people apparently do, but then I kind of like the more angular drummers, and Cobham strikes me as too straight-forward (albeit powerful).

As far as the "next" Neil Peart, I think it's a misguided question.  What makes the Pearts, Brufords, or Bonhams of the world great is their unique style and personality.  The next great drummer will have his (or her) own unique style.

 



Posted By: DarHobo
Date Posted: August 29 2005 at 20:49

I think Peart is kinda overrated, I am a drummer myself and the solo to YYZ isn't that amazing, it's good, but Peart is blown up into God-like proportion becasue of it.  I mean, seriously most of his ability comes with the fact that he has a huge set.  All he has to do is do a standard roll 4 miles long from one side of his set on the 2" tom and end it on the other side on his  60" inch floor tom, and there ya' go the classic peart sound.



Posted By: alan_pfeifer
Date Posted: August 29 2005 at 20:59
Originally posted by Damen Damen wrote:

Originally posted by ulver982 ulver982 wrote:

but even better then all, the drummer in the White Stripes.  She's crazy on the drums...watch out neil!

I hope that's sarcasm

That band is NOT about the drums....it fits the song, and if she's so bad, what should she do to make it sound "better"?



Posted By: floydaholic
Date Posted: August 29 2005 at 21:00
Originally posted by DarHobo DarHobo wrote:

I think Peart is overrated, I am a drummer myself and the solo to YYZ isn't that amazing, its average.  I mean, seriously most of his ability comes with the fact that he has a huge set.  All he has to do is do a standard roll 4 miles long from one side of his set on the 2" tom and end it on the other side on his  60" inch floor tom, and there ya' go the classic peart sound.

I disagree. He is pretty damn skilled to play such a large set well. Though he doesn't use cymbals as much as the more skilled jazz drummers do he has more drum pieces than they do and makes good use of them. He is an incredible rock drummer.



-------------
I'll see you on the Darkside of the moon...


Posted By: DarHobo
Date Posted: August 29 2005 at 21:31
Originally posted by floydaholic floydaholic wrote:

Originally posted by DarHobo DarHobo wrote:

I think Peart is overrated, I am a drummer myself and the solo to YYZ isn't that amazing, its average.  I mean, seriously most of his ability comes with the fact that he has a huge set.  All he has to do is do a standard roll 4 miles long from one side of his set on the 2" tom and end it on the other side on his  60" inch floor tom, and there ya' go the classic peart sound.

I disagree. He is pretty damn skilled to play such a large set well. Though he doesn't use cymbals as much as the more skilled jazz drummers do he has more drum pieces than they do and makes good use of them. He is an incredible rock drummer.

 

Yes he is a great drummer, but with the set thing, I know this guy who truely sucks at drums but now he has about a 10 piece and because of the huge set can sound decent.  Becasue more is there, there is more to roll on.  He can now just hit each tom in a 2 stroke succession from high to low and make a decent sounding roll because there is so much, but if he was on a standard 5-piece, thats another story.



Posted By: bartok
Date Posted: August 29 2005 at 21:59

When was the last time Peart used the "4 miles long" roll?  It's been decades, hasn't it?



Posted By: decypher
Date Posted: August 29 2005 at 22:03
Originally posted by pogoowner pogoowner wrote:

Mark Zonder


mark zonder is fantastic, very unique and  orignial, at the front of the row with mike portnoy (and of course rick colaluca!!!!).

yours,
perfect symmetry


Posted By: TheProgtologist
Date Posted: August 29 2005 at 22:27
I don't think any drummer out there is the "next" Neil Peart because the Professor is in a class by himself.A few drummers besides Neil that I admire are Dennis Chambers(very underrated,I never see his name mentioned that much in drum topics),Mike Portnoy and Danny Carey.

-------------




Posted By: TheProgtologist
Date Posted: August 29 2005 at 22:34

Some other drummers also deserving a mention:
Christian Vander-Magma
Martin Lopez-Opeth
Paul Cook-IQ
Jason Rullo-Symphony X
Nick D'Virgilio-Spock's Beard
Billy Cobham-Mahavishnu Orchestra and Miles Davis

Besides Vander I never see anyone giving these excellent drummers their props.



-------------




Posted By: DarHobo
Date Posted: August 29 2005 at 23:11
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

Some other drummers also deserving a mention:
Christian Vander-Magma
Martin Lopez-Opeth
Paul Cook-IQ
Jason Rullo-Symphony X
Nick D'Virgilio-Spock's Beard
Billy Cobham-Mahavishnu Orchestra and Miles Davis

Besides Vander I never see anyone giving these excellent drummers their props.

 

Yes, they are all good drummers but its true they never get mentioned.



Posted By: ulver982
Date Posted: August 29 2005 at 23:48
Originally posted by alan_pfeifer alan_pfeifer wrote:

Originally posted by Damen Damen wrote:

Originally posted by ulver982 ulver982 wrote:

but even better then all, the drummer in the White Stripes.  She's crazy on the drums...watch out neil!

I hope that's sarcasm

That band is NOT about the drums....it fits the song, and if she's so bad, what should she do to make it sound "better"?

 

What?? She could a million and one things to make White Stripes better.  Maybe a fill once in awhile would help.



-------------
Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius.

Silence is the music of the future.


Posted By: floydaholic
Date Posted: August 30 2005 at 00:04
Originally posted by DarHobo DarHobo wrote:

Originally posted by floydaholic floydaholic wrote:

Originally posted by DarHobo DarHobo wrote:

I think Peart is overrated, I am a drummer myself and the solo to YYZ isn't that amazing, its average.  I mean, seriously most of his ability comes with the fact that he has a huge set.  All he has to do is do a standard roll 4 miles long from one side of his set on the 2" tom and end it on the other side on his  60" inch floor tom, and there ya' go the classic peart sound.

I disagree. He is pretty damn skilled to play such a large set well. Though he doesn't use cymbals as much as the more skilled jazz drummers do he has more drum pieces than they do and makes good use of them. He is an incredible rock drummer.

 

Yes he is a great drummer, but with the set thing, I know this guy who truely sucks at drums but now he has about a 10 piece and because of the huge set can sound decent.  Becasue more is there, there is more to roll on.  He can now just hit each tom in a 2 stroke succession from high to low and make a decent sounding roll because there is so much, but if he was on a standard 5-piece, thats another story.

Peart makes great use of his set though. PErhaps not as great in studio performacnes but in his live stuff he uses a many different patterns and even this cool little xylophone type thing. I doubt your friend is as innovative as peart who has even been known to include hints of jazz in his playing with traditional style play at times and using Steve Gadds drum fill. No one else that i know of is capable of such skill with a large set(Besides Bozzio who is unbelievably skilled).



-------------
I'll see you on the Darkside of the moon...


Posted By: Retrovertigo
Date Posted: August 30 2005 at 06:45
There are a giant amount of drummers in prog that are better than Neil Peart.  Even when Peart was in his prime.  Vinnie Colaiuta anybody?


Posted By: richardh
Date Posted: August 30 2005 at 12:18

Zoltan Csorz ex Flower Kings

Portnoy is too much like a drum machine and a tad one dimensional.The more I listen to him the less impressed I am.Zoltan can create very good 'feel' in his playing but also cut loose if needed.Peart's strength is his dexterity.He has the technical skills and good 'feel' so Zoltan is the nearest thing to a new Neil Peart.Danny Carey is also a very fine drummer,not far behind Csorz.



Posted By: bumheed7
Date Posted: August 30 2005 at 12:37
Originally posted by Retrovertigo Retrovertigo wrote:

There are a giant amount of drummers in prog that are better than Neil Peart.  Even when Peart was in his prime.  Vinnie Colaiuta anybody?


off of? my extensive prog knowledge is poor


-------------
Good Morning Carpark Fans



Posted By: Flip_Stone
Date Posted: August 30 2005 at 13:16

Peart is good, but he's very-much overrated.  His problem is that once he lays down his drum tracks on the albums, he just duplicates/copies them live, with little or no improvisation.  That's a very stale, lame, and limiting approach to take for any musician.  Just kind of like going through the motions in robot form.

Now, we should point out that he is a very well-read person, very intelligent, and has great writing skills.  The large role he has in writing lyrics and books, is a big plus not only for drummers, but any musicians.

Back to the original question, there are many drummers out there at the same level and higher than Peart.  Familiar names like Bill Bruford, Terry Bozzio, Pat Mastelloto, Phil Collins, Narada Michael Walden, to name a few.  Than there are younger, less-known drummers that deserve note (though none come to mind at the moment). 



Posted By: floydaholic
Date Posted: August 30 2005 at 13:24

Originally posted by bumheed7 bumheed7 wrote:

Originally posted by Retrovertigo Retrovertigo wrote:

There are a giant amount of drummers in prog that are better than Neil Peart.  Even when Peart was in his prime.  Vinnie Colaiuta anybody?


off of? my extensive prog knowledge is poor

 

Colaiuta is definitely more skilled as a drummer but i'm not too sure about him being as impactful, innovative or creative as peart.



-------------
I'll see you on the Darkside of the moon...


Posted By: Shack Man
Date Posted: August 30 2005 at 14:03
Originally posted by hukt on fonikzz hukt on fonikzz wrote:

Originally posted by Shack Man Shack Man wrote:

being overrated is not an opinion, neil peart lived up to his glory, and you can't just say he is overrated because you prefer other drummers.

how is it not an opinion "i think neil peart is overrated"
it isnt a fact is it? or can you somehow answer that question for me...


You only think he is overrated, so what you think is wrong, because Neil Peart has lived up to his glory.

-------------
Extraordinary how potent cheap music is...


Posted By: Cygnus
Date Posted: August 30 2005 at 14:15

[QUOTE=Retrovertigo]There are a giant amount of drummers in prog that are better than Neil Peart.  Even when Peart was in his prime.  Vinnie Colaiuta anybody? [/QUOTE

Giant amount?? Realy?? Oh there must be something wrong on sites like "drummerworld" or "modern drummer". They never mentioned any giant amount as the most influental and creative drummer but Peart.



Posted By: hukt on fonikzz
Date Posted: August 30 2005 at 16:23
Originally posted by Shack Man Shack Man wrote:

Originally posted by hukt on fonikzz hukt on fonikzz wrote:

Originally posted by Shack Man Shack Man wrote:

being overrated is not an opinion, neil peart lived up to his glory, and you can't just say he is overrated because you prefer other drummers.

how is it not an opinion "i think neil peart is overrated"
it isnt a fact is it? or can you somehow answer that question for me...


You only think he is overrated, so what you think is wrong, because Neil Peart has lived up to his glory.

so YOU are telling ME what my opinion is...


-------------
there is no spoon...


Posted By: bartok
Date Posted: August 30 2005 at 18:34

I don't know, "O Baterista" is a pretty jaw-dropping 8 minutes of drum solo and spectacle.  Do the Cobhams, Colautas, and Collins of the world really have anything equivalent in their repertoires?  Not really.  The performance really speaks for itself - that's 1 guy creating all that sound - and there's a reason he's famous for it, because it's damn impressive.  Compare that to the dual drumming of Bruford & Mastoletto or Collins & Thompson - it takes at least 2 guys to even come close to Peart's energy (the only exception might be Terry Bozzio, who is also pretty much a one man drumming machine).  Sure, Colaiuta and Gadd and others may have more technique/fluidity/spontaneity in a jazz setting, but how would they hack it in Rush?  Can they rock out for 2 1/2 hour shows?  There's a big difference between drumming light adult-oriented pop for Sting or laid-back Zappa jazz rock and having to power-down on the drums for a rock gig.  However talented those guys are, they quite simply do not have anything as intense as Peart.

 

 



Posted By: rushaholic
Date Posted: August 30 2005 at 19:03
I get tired of threads like these.  Some of us think that Neil is absolutely the best drummer ever.  Others (specifically dallasbryan and some others who posted in this thread) obviously don't for whatever reason.  However, I think anyone with an open mind and without bias would admit he is one of the best.

As for the next Neil Peart - probably Portnoy but I don't even think he comes close.


Posted By: Drew
Date Posted: August 30 2005 at 19:50

Peart- will always be the best in my eyes- seemed like he was the 1st to pull off many tracks on the set- everyone else that follows is simply a great replica- (if thats possible- ie, Portnoy)



Posted By: Guests
Date Posted: August 30 2005 at 19:55

Originally posted by sonic wizard sonic wizard wrote:

Another good reason to nominate Portnoy is because like Peart, he has great songwriting ability. We should be evaluating candidates on not only drumming technique (which is still very important), but also other musical abilities such as songwriting, composing, singing, or whatever. Which reminds me, Portnoy isn't to shabby at backup vocals.

 it goes to MR. Portnoy who else????????



Posted By: alan_pfeifer
Date Posted: August 30 2005 at 21:57
Originally posted by ulver982 ulver982 wrote:

Originally posted by alan_pfeifer alan_pfeifer wrote:

Originally posted by Damen Damen wrote:

Originally posted by ulver982 ulver982 wrote:

but even better then all, the drummer in the White Stripes.  She's crazy on the drums...watch out neil!

I hope that's sarcasm

That band is NOT about the drums....it fits the song, and if she's so bad, what should she do to make it sound "better"?

 

What?? She could a million and one things to make White Stripes better.  Maybe a fill once in awhile would help.

I've yet to hear a song by them that the drums Don't work with the song......it's the Less is More style taken to the extreme, but hey, if you don't like it, whatever. 



Posted By: Shack Man
Date Posted: August 30 2005 at 22:19
Originally posted by hukt on fonikzz hukt on fonikzz wrote:

Originally posted by Shack Man Shack Man wrote:

Originally posted by hukt on fonikzz hukt on fonikzz wrote:

Originally posted by Shack Man Shack Man wrote:

being overrated is not an opinion, neil peart lived up to his glory, and you can't just say he is overrated because you prefer other drummers.

how is it not an opinion "i think neil peart is overrated"
it isnt a fact is it? or can you somehow answer that question for me...


You only think he is overrated, so what you think is wrong, because Neil Peart has lived up to his glory.

so YOU are telling ME what my opinion is...


Well let me explain, what you said "I think neil peart is overrated" is like saying "I think 2 plus 2 equals 34."  You just thought wrong upon a fact.

-------------
Extraordinary how potent cheap music is...


Posted By: hukt on fonikzz
Date Posted: August 31 2005 at 15:08
Originally posted by Shack Man Shack Man wrote:

Originally posted by hukt on fonikzz hukt on fonikzz wrote:

Originally posted by Shack Man Shack Man wrote:

Originally posted by hukt on
fonikzz hukt on fonikzz wrote:

Originally posted by Shack Man Shack Man wrote:

being overrated is not an opinion, neil peart lived up to his glory, and you can't just say he is overrated because you prefer other drummers.

how is it not an opinion "i think neil peart is overrated"
it isnt a fact is it? or can you somehow answer that question for me...


You only think he is overrated, so what you think is wrong, because Neil Peart has lived up to his glory.

so YOU are telling ME what my opinion is...


Well let me explain, what you said "I think neil peart is overrated" is like saying "I think 2 plus 2 equals 34."  You just thought wrong upon a fact.

fact? this is ridiculous, no where does it say that neil peart isnt overatted, is this written in some book or magazine ive never heard of? Did someone declare to the world that he is better than everyone? tell me, where is this "fact" you speak of?


-------------
there is no spoon...


Posted By: GatesOfDelirium
Date Posted: August 31 2005 at 16:04
I could go the rest of my life without hearing about Portnoy. A drummer's true merit is in live playing.

Anyways, I'd have to say Jon Theodore or Danny Carey are probably in line for progressive greatness, even if I don't like Tool that much.


Posted By: Tony R
Date Posted: August 31 2005 at 16:14

 

Junior Neil Pearts can be found on this Drumline Clip.

 

 Click http://www.placermusic.org/contents.aspx?id=8" target=_new>HERE to view the clip

 

 



Posted By: spectral
Date Posted: August 31 2005 at 16:21
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:

 

Junior Neil Pearts can be found on this Drumline Clip.

 

 Click http://www.placermusic.org/contents.aspx?id=8" target=_new>HERE to view the clip

That is superb!!! 



-------------
"...misty halos made visible by the spectral illumination of moonshine."


Posted By: Ben2112
Date Posted: August 31 2005 at 16:24
Originally posted by Tony R Tony R wrote:


Junior Neil Pearts can be found on this Drumline Clip.



Click http://www.placermusic.org/contents.aspx?id=8" target=_new>COLOR=#800080 - HERE[/COLOR - to view the clip




<!-- Signature -->


COOL! Where do you find all these great vids?


Posted By: horza
Date Posted: August 31 2005 at 18:36
Neil Peart still best drummer as live in Rio testafies!!!


Posted By: Hierophant
Date Posted: August 31 2005 at 19:39
I have a question for all you portnoy fans...

what is it that he does that is so spectacular?

I mean hes a good drummer but i'm perplexed as to why everyone thinks he's a god. I know hes got alot more going for him than the average drummer (songwriting, head of dt) but whats so mind blowing about his playing??? As a drummer - from a technical standpoint, his playing does absolutly nothing for me.


-------------


Posted By: GreenB
Date Posted: August 31 2005 at 19:40

The reason why Neil Peart should be considered a legend in not because he is or was the best. That discussion is pointless.

 

He should not be remembered as “the best” but as the drummer who revolutionized drum playing.

 

ALL of the drummers mentioned in this thread deserve recognition because ALL of them are excellent. Some of them may be “better”.

Whatever “better” means.

Whether he is better, worse, overrated or underrated is pointless.

 

Who do you think that has the ability to revolutionize again drum playing?

 

…that is the question.

 



-------------
= LIGHT



Posted By: moncholo
Date Posted: August 31 2005 at 20:57

portnoy, because he is a mix between Peart and Lars Ulrich.......

 

 



Posted By: Shack Man
Date Posted: August 31 2005 at 21:15
Originally posted by hukt on fonikzz hukt on fonikzz wrote:


fact? this is ridiculous, no where does it say that neil peart isnt overatted, is this written in some book or magazine ive never heard of? Did someone declare to the world that he is better than everyone? tell me, where is this "fact" you speak of?


It doesn't have to said, it lies within the music he plays; he deserves his credit.  And oh yes, I stated that neil peart is better than everyone else... (sarcasm)   He just isn't overrated, he is certainly not better than everyone else; how the hell would anyone know of the best drummer, its impossible.

-------------
Extraordinary how potent cheap music is...


Posted By: Drew
Date Posted: August 31 2005 at 21:25

That video was decent- funny thing- my high school drumline played a RUSH show- it was freaking incredible- we went undefeated- against many great drumlines!



Posted By: ulver982
Date Posted: August 31 2005 at 22:06
Originally posted by alan_pfeifer alan_pfeifer wrote:

Originally posted by ulver982 ulver982 wrote:

Originally posted by alan_pfeifer alan_pfeifer wrote:

Originally posted by Damen Damen wrote:

Originally posted by ulver982 ulver982 wrote:

but even better then all, the drummer in the White Stripes.  She's crazy on the drums...watch out neil!

I hope that's sarcasm

That band is NOT about the drums....it fits the song, and if she's so bad, what should she do to make it sound "better"?

 

What?? She could a million and one things to make White Stripes better.  Maybe a fill once in awhile would help.

I've yet to hear a song by them that the drums Don't work with the song......it's the Less is More style taken to the extreme, but hey, if you don't like it, whatever. 

Yeah, the less is more style is taken to the extreme, almost to far.  Far enough where it makes me question her skills, and from what I heard, not very good skill at all.    Any drummer could fit a lot of songs with the less is more, but I don't think it sounds good.  Adding fills, double timing, etc adds to the song and makes it more enjoyable.  But that's just my opinion.



-------------
Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius.

Silence is the music of the future.


Posted By: Cygnus
Date Posted: September 01 2005 at 09:07

I am with Zonder. He has a more personal style than portnoy and if you want to hear something realy technical A Pleasent Shade Of Gray is your album.

Fates Warning rule...



Posted By: Gianthogweed
Date Posted: September 01 2005 at 09:59

I'm not a drummer, so I can't really judge who's better than who, but here are some of the drummers I really like:

Bill Bruford - Just love his snare sound mostly.  Very precise.

Keith Moon - Just a fun drummer to listen to.  Very energetic, always entertaining.

Phil Collins - Similar to Bruford, very precise and accurate, yet very subtle.  Very good style.

Neil Peart - Definitely the best drum solos I've heard came from him.  He's a master.

Carl Palmer - Karn Evil 9 drumming is spectacular.  But I don't always like his drumming.

John Bonham - Overrated, but very good.  I like his fills.

Danny Carrey - Very accurate and complex.  Tool has mastered the rhythm part of prog rock.

Pat Mastelotto - Not as good as Bruford, but he does very well in King Crimson.



Posted By: GatesOfDelirium
Date Posted: September 01 2005 at 16:28
Originally posted by ulver982 ulver982 wrote:

Originally posted by alan_pfeifer alan_pfeifer wrote:

Originally posted by ulver982 ulver982 wrote:

Originally posted by alan_pfeifer alan_pfeifer wrote:

Originally posted by Damen Damen wrote:

Originally posted by ulver982 ulver982 wrote:

but even better then all, the drummer in the White Stripes.  She's crazy on the drums...watch out neil!

I hope that's sarcasm

That band is NOT about the drums....it fits the song, and if she's so bad, what should she do to make it sound "better"?

 

What?? She could a million and one things to make White Stripes better.  Maybe a fill once in awhile would help.

I've yet to hear a song by them that the drums Don't work with the song......it's the Less is More style taken to the extreme, but hey, if you don't like it, whatever. 

Yeah, the less is more style is taken to the extreme, almost to far.  Far enough where it makes me question her skills, and from what I heard, not very good skill at all.    Any drummer could fit a lot of songs with the less is more, but I don't think it sounds good.  Adding fills, double timing, etc adds to the song and makes it more enjoyable.  But that's just my opinion.



If she's serving the song, why bother with all of the fills? She seems to get along fine without them. The Stripes are about stripped down music, so having Zeppelin-esque fills would go against the flow.


Posted By: hukt on fonikzz
Date Posted: September 02 2005 at 12:15
Originally posted by Shack Man Shack Man wrote:

Originally posted by hukt on fonikzz hukt on fonikzz wrote:


fact? this is ridiculous, no where does it say that neil peart isnt overatted, is this written in some book or magazine ive never heard of? Did someone declare to the world that he is better than everyone? tell me, where is this "fact" you speak of?


It doesn't have to said, it lies within the music he plays; he deserves his credit.  And oh yes, I stated that neil peart is better than everyone else... (sarcasm)   He just isn't overrated, he is certainly not better than everyone else; how the hell would anyone know of the best drummer, its impossible.

well ya i agree with you that he deserves his credit, i did mention that. I also agree that he is not better than everyone else, i never said he didnt get the accolations he deserves. he is an great drummer and has done monumental things, i just cant place it as an actual fact because like you said, how the hell would anyone know of the best drummer?


-------------
there is no spoon...


Posted By: BePinkTheater
Date Posted: September 02 2005 at 23:26

you gotta give it to portnoy... The sh*t he can play in all that quick time changing 13/16 for one measure then into 15/16, then 17/16, then 14/16 and repeat. And not only can he play it, we can play it well and make it sound very interesting. Plus he has a very good sense of music theory, which alows him to play musically with his drumming, and he is a good writer.

so we give it to the camel!

but if we are talking about the future, my cousin is a drummer. And he is one of the most technical drumers i've ever seen. And i honestly think in years to come we'll all know his name. HE takes influences fomr mostly mike portnoy and jazz fusion drummers. and those two together= insaneness. What i love about his style is his ability to completly seperate all four members of his body.so he can do four different beats at the same time. which, if ochestrated correctly, can be unbelivable. He uses a lot of rythmic modulation( extending a 4/4 measure into 3/4 but the music is staying on the same 1-2-3-4 pattern but the feel is different, for an example) and also he is a musicaina and is proficiant at bass, guitar, violin, piano, and trombone and tuba. So this gives him the musical talent and feeling to make beats and fills that arent jsut cool, but inhance what the music is doing. He's just unbleivable. Once i get an mp3 of him playing, i'll upload it



-------------
I can strangle a canary in a tin can and it would be really original, but that wouldn't save it from sounding like utter sh*t.
-Stone Beard


Posted By: +dreamtheater+
Date Posted: September 04 2005 at 16:00

be best than neil peart will be very difficult and i think the next neil perat is not born



Posted By: KeyserSoze
Date Posted: September 04 2005 at 16:35

I have three candidates:

Paul Craddick (ex-Enchant) - listen to his performance on "A Blueprint Of The World", awesome

Jon Theodore (The Mars Volta) - I saw him live and he's really amazing

Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater) - not so sure about him after ToT, like he lost an invention



Posted By: +dreamtheater+
Date Posted: September 05 2005 at 19:11
mike portnoy


Posted By: alan_pfeifer
Date Posted: September 05 2005 at 21:32

I just found out about Chris Pienne ( I think that's it) from Dillinger Escape Plan.  A bit more on the Metal spectrum of music, but damn if hte's not skilled.

Also, speical mention to the guy from Can.  anyone who can play the same groove like hje does and never lose my interest gets my vote for great drummer.




Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk