Forum Description: List all your favourites here
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=109051
Printed Date: April 17 2024 at 18:29
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 8 Best Prog Albums of All Time
Posted By: bucka001
Subject: 8 Best Prog Albums of All Time
Date Posted: October 11 2016 at 13:35
Are any of these "best prog" lists that crop up from time to time *not* completely original and incisive, bringing a new angle to the topic?

;-)

This one came out recently.

http://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/8-of-the-best-progressive-rock-albums-of-all-time.html/?a=viewall" rel="nofollow - http://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/8-of-the-best-progressive-rock-albums-of-all-time.html/?a=viewall

-------------
jc

Replies:
Posted By: Larkstongue41
Date Posted: October 11 2016 at 15:24
Originally posted by bucka001 bucka001 wrote:

This one came out recently.

http://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/8-of-the-best-progressive-rock-albums-of-all-time.html/?a=viewall" rel="nofollow - http://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/8-of-the-best-progressive-rock-albums-of-all-time.html/?a=viewall

Certainly disappointed by the first 2 choices, but I am pleasantly surprised to see Pawn Hearts, Future Days and One Size Fits All have been included. I can understand why the two former could be considered, but I am not sure about the latter even if I personally think it is a great album.

-------------
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: October 11 2016 at 15:37
Good list, but not the best by all means.

Posted By: LakeGlade12
Date Posted: October 11 2016 at 16:09
Pretty poor list if you ask me. As strong as Fragile is the general consensus is that CTTE is the top Yes album (myself included). One size fits all and future days are way down the list in terms of influencial Prog albums and quite rightly are seldom mentioned in best-of-all-time lists. I can understand why WYWH is at No 1 (even though I hate that album), but I would argue DSOTM deseves that top spot (or at least top 8!) for being the best known and loved Prog album of all time. 

I'm ok with the remaining albums on the list, but still strongly disagreeing with half the albums in the top 8 does not sit well with me!  

Posted By: EddieRUKiddingVarese
Date Posted: October 11 2016 at 16:17
The best 8 are
1. Uncle Meat
2. Were Only in it for the Money
3. Freak Out
4. Absolutely Free
5. Burnt Weeny Sandwich
6. Hot Rats
7. Weasels Ripped my Flesh
8. Grand Wazoo

-------------
"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: October 11 2016 at 16:23
^ so diverse WinkLOL

Date Posted: October 11 2016 at 16:27
Why thanks, you noticed LOL

-------------

Posted By: mechanicalflattery
Date Posted: October 11 2016 at 16:32
There are probably 6 or 7 Pink Floyd albums better than Wish You Were Here.
There are a good 4 Yes albums better than Fragile. 
There are 4 King Crimson albums I like more than Court.
There's at least one Can album better than Future Days.
There's a great deal of Frank Zappa-involved albums better than One Size Fits All. 
Pawn Hearts deserves its place, although Godbluff is better. 
Selling England and Thick as a Brick are acceptable, at least those artists never made anything better. 

Decent enough list, obviously I don't agree much. The lack of Italian prog alone is absurd. 

Posted By: fredyair
Date Posted: October 11 2016 at 16:41
Prog music is so diverse and probably the genre with more quality musicians and performers that a best of list requires at least a hundred titles to be somewhat complete. And that just to start scratching the surface. A ten best has to include at least one title of the following bands, in no particular order: Pink Floyd, Yes, ELP, Genesis, King Crimson, Gentle Giant, Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, Renaissance, Led Zeppelin, and how many great bands are left? It is an impossible task, as for the list published I think is really poor.

-------------
Long live Progresive music!

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: October 11 2016 at 16:44
Why eight?

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: Devoncir
Date Posted: October 11 2016 at 20:54
Me like make lists. If I can´t put ths same band twice:
1 - Yes - Close to the Edge
2 - Genesis - Foxtrot
3 - Pink Floyd - Wish you Were Here
4 - VDGG - Pawn Hearts
5 - Jethro Tull - Ministrel in the Gallery
6 - Grobschnitt - Rockpommel's Land
7 - PFM - Storia di un Minuto
8 - ELP - Trilogy  

If I can put the same band twice or more:

1 - Yes Close to the Edge
2 - Yes - Relayer
3 - Pink Floyd - Wish you were Here
4 - VDGG - Pawn Hearts
5 - Yes - Tales From topografic Oceans
6 - Genesis - Foxtrot
7 - Genesis - Selling England by the Pound
8 - Genesis - Nursery Cryme 

Posted By: CPicard
Date Posted: October 12 2016 at 05:15
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Why eight?

Too lazy or not enough time/place to make it ten? Ermm
Anyway, that's just another list and people in 2016 should be tired with that Top 10, Top 20, Top 6 or whatever kind of list that may exist under our sun - especially if said list is as lame as this one.
Furthermore, I can't even see the point of making another list of best prog albums: it's flogging the dried bones of a dead horse.

Posted By: Kingsnake
Date Posted: October 12 2016 at 05:28
my eight (albums on the website):

1. Thick as a Brick
2. Mirage
3. Generation 13
4. Clutching at Straws
5. Free Hand
6. Seventh Sojourn
7. Uoma
8. Subterreanea

I guess my favorite albums are not on the website. Although a lot of albums on the website I do like.

Posted By: Passka
Date Posted: October 12 2016 at 09:23
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

Why eight?

Anyway, that's just another list and people in 2016 should be tired with that Top 10, Top 20, Top 6 or whatever kind of list that may exist under our sun - especially if said list is as lame as this one.
Furthermore, I can't even see the point of making another list of best prog albums: it's flogging the dried bones of a dead horse.

maybe they want to look more 'progressive'Wink

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: October 12 2016 at 09:55
Originally posted by LakeGlade12 LakeGlade12 wrote:

Pretty poor list if you ask me. As strong as Fragile is the general consensus is that CTTE is the top Yes album (myself included). One size fits all and future days are way down the list in terms of influencial Prog albums and quite rightly are seldom mentioned in best-of-all-time lists. I can understand why WYWH is at No 1 (even though I hate that album), but I would argue DSOTM deseves that top spot (or at least top 8!) for being the best known and loved Prog album of all time. 

I'm ok with the remaining albums on the list, but still strongly disagreeing with half the albums in the top 8 does not sit well with me!  

"Close to the Edge" is in my opinion a bit overrated. a good 4 star album, yes, but it lacks the daring that is in my opinion necessary for a 5 star album (as a prog rock album CttE is not daring at all). "Relayer" is a much more daring album and hence in my opinion much better

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: October 13 2016 at 07:48
The Real Top Eight

1) Tales From Topographic Oceans
2) The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
3) Thick As A Brick
4) Close To The Edge
5) Brain Salad Surgery
6) Foxtrot
7) Wish You Were Here
8) Larks' Tongues In Aspic

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: October 13 2016 at 09:50
Originally posted by Passka Passka wrote:

Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

Why eight?

maybe they want to look more 'progressive'Wink

I am fairly certain that the list is "inspired" by BBC 4's Desert Island Discs show, where the guest or indeed cast-away is asked to chose 8 albums to bring with them on a deserted island (hence the title).

As for the list? It's a list alright
Nah cool to see Can mentioned for once, but we'll never ever hit the proverbial sweet spot and conjure up a list that satisfies every pork rock fan out there. Some like it hot - others like it cold. I am a chilli man myself.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Guy Guden
Date Posted: October 13 2016 at 10:15
I'd replace Zappa with Amon Duul 2.  YETI, LEMMINGS or VIVE LA TRANCE.  MEDDLE would replace WISH YOU WERE HERE.  TOPOGRAPHIC would replace FRAGILE.  And yes, Eight is NOT Enough.  Banco, PFM, Ange and Magma deserve being there.  A PASSION PLAY is my favourite, as well as RED, or LARKS' TONGUES.  The Can choice is correct.  When it comes to Lists, Franz is my favourite.  Smile

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: October 14 2016 at 03:52
Perhaps if we learned to read we would find it says "8 of the best" not the best 8.

Fine starter kit anyway.

Date Posted: October 14 2016 at 04:07
^ LOL

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: October 14 2016 at 17:31
1) The Snow Goose
2) Subterranea
3) Spirit of Autumn Past
4) The Tain
5) Second Life Syndrome
6) The Mountain
7) Folklore
8) Argus
9) Moonmadness
10) Seasons End

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: October 14 2016 at 17:40
1) Foxtrot - Genesis
2) Nursery Cryme - Genesis
3) Hybris - Anglagard
4) Illusions on a Double Dimple - Triumvirat
5) Relayer - Yes
6) Leftoverture - Kansas
7) Thick as a Brick - Jethro Tull
8) K.A. - Magma
9) Darwin - Banco del Mutuo Soccorso
10) Voyage of the Acolyte - Steve Hackett

-------------

Posted By: Magnum Vaeltaja
Date Posted: October 14 2016 at 23:00
It seems that everyone else is just listing what they think the list should be, so I may as well give it a try. In no particular order, sticking to one per artist:
  • Yes - Tales From Topographic Oceans - Obviously Close To The Edge is the safer choice, and gels together more cohesively, but this one has unparalleled historical value, rallying point both for and against the genre. But looking past its megalithic status, this is also one of the finest and multifaceted albums Yes put out, regardless of how much "padding" you may allege it to contain. Here we have some of Yes' most powerful, bombastic sections of music, their most calm and meditative, most happy and uplifting, most fiery and aggressive, all spread out among a sea of music that you can immerse yourself in for days without tiring. 
  • King Crimson - Larks' Tongues In Aspic - One could argue that Court was a more influential album, but the fact that after five albums in three years King Crimson was still changing directions and moving into uncharted territory with every new release is an accomplishment in itself. What we have here is a more confident, refined group; no doubt the strongest and most creative line-up Fripp ever associated himself with. And if there was ever to be an album described as "ahead of its time", here's the one. Not only has Larks' gone on to influence countless groups in the realms of prog, avant-garde, and metal, it's also impeccably produced, holding up against modern releases much better than the increasingly dated-sounding Court.
  • Genesis - Selling England By The Pound - You could make a case for any of the albums between Trespass and The Lamb to take this spot, but none of the others have matched Selling England in sheer influential magnitude. No other album has been a direct influence on such a large volume of prog rock. Listen to 99.999% of neo-prog or comparable amounts of modern symphonic prog, and you'll hear it drenched with inspiration from Selling England By The Pound. This album isn't necessarily the best in the Genesis catalogue, but the fact that so many bands, even 40 years later, are still citing it as the golden standard to approaching the genre from a compositional point of view, puts it just that much higher above the others.
  • PFM - Storia Di Un Minuto - Perhaps the most representative RPI record. It has everything that makes many prog fans' favourite national scene so lovable: the romance of Impressioni Di Settembre, the blues rock approach to E Festa, the classical influences of Dove...Quando...Pt. 1, the jazzy leanings of Dove...Quando...Pt. 2, the delicate-yet-intricate performance in La Carrozza Di Hans, and the over-the-top dramatics of Grazie Davvero, all in one tight little bundle.
  • Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Emerson, Lake & Palmer - This was one of the records that truly asserted that keyboards had a place in rock music. Here we have some of the most aggressive, virtuosic, and intense keyboard passages put to record during prog's embryonic stages, no doubt a major influence on countless guitar-less trios around the world, all while containing some of ELP's most tasteful, well-aged material.
  • Van der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts - Prog is a genre of extremes, and at the dark, grotesque pole of the genre, you get this. Difficult as it may be to the unconditioned ear, this is a crucial record that showed the world that progressive rock didn't need to be about elves and magic, it could have a grittier, more human face to it, as well.
  • Gentle Giant - Octopus - Gentle Giant took complexity as far as it went, and this is the album that best showcases their combination of extreme complexity while still retaining strong taste and musicality in their performances, as well as their uncanny ability to pack a whole lot into such a small package.
  • [Insert your favourite prog album I didn't list here] - So that you can read this and say "at least he got ONE of them right!". I don't want to go making my readers unhappy, now, do I? Embarrassed
Sorry for the lack of representation for certain subgenres, like prog metal, krautrock, zeuhl, psychedelic, prog electronic, Canterbury, etc. When I made my selections, I did my best to encompass broad genre representation and widespread influence, as well as a little look at the extremes that prog can fill. As a result, I tended to ignore many of the more niche subgenres, as well as less traditionally "proggy" genres (fusion, psychedelic, etc.). 

-------------
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents

Date Posted: October 14 2016 at 23:29
Oh please, you people are all wrong, only I can have the true best prog list!*

1. Godbluff
2. Storia di un Minuto
3. Lizard
4. Octopus
5. Pawn Hearts
6. Darwin!
7. Close to the Edge
8. Caravanserai

Bow before my will, inferior mortals

*(list created in roughly 30 seconds with little critical thought put into it, likely gravely wrong as a result)

Date Posted: October 14 2016 at 23:39
^ I'd agree with you on 5 of those. Not bad for 30 seconds, actually.

-------------
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents

Posted By: Flight123
Date Posted: October 18 2016 at 05:12
It is a reasonable list for anyone new to the genre and includes some more left-field prog such as Zappa and Can.  I know we can all disagree on such lists, but the only surprise omission is an ELP album.  Not only did they shape and provide inspiration to the genre, along with the Floyd and Yes, they were actually one of the biggest (rock, not just prog) groups in terms of album sales and concert attractions - at least in the early 70s.

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: October 18 2016 at 05:22
Triumvirat-Illusions On A Double Dimple
Triumvirat-Spartacus
Triumvirat-Mediterranean Tales
Dzyan-Time Machine
Libra-Libra
Giger Lenz Marron-Beyond
Wallenstein-No More Love
Dzyan-Electric Silence

some of these are pretty obscure, but that's me, I guess

Posted By: zravkapt
Date Posted: October 18 2016 at 06:21
Love Beach
We Can't Dance
A Momentary Lapse Of Reason
Under Wraps
Vapor Trails
Cruisin' With Reuben & The Jets
Open Your Eyes
Metal Machine Music

-------------
Magma America Great Make Again

Date Posted: October 18 2016 at 11:09
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

Love Beach
We Can't Dance
Under Wraps
Vapor Trails
Open Your Eyes
Metal Machine Music

Come on, how could you not include any Asia in there? Or ABBA?

-------------

Date Posted: October 18 2016 at 11:13

Love Beach - ok
We Can't Dance - good
A Momentary Lapse Of Reason - good
Under Wraps - poor
Vapor Trails - ok
Cruisin' With Reuben & The Jets - dunno
Open Your Eyes - poor
Metal Machine Music - dreadful

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: October 18 2016 at 11:23
Today's list:
Banda do Casaco - Hoje Há Conquilhas Amanhã Não Sabemos
Camel - Mirage
King Crimson - Lizard
Mike Oldfield - Ommadawn
Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother
PFM - Per Un Amico
Quarteto 1111 - Onde, Quando, Como, Porquê Cantamos Pessoas Vivas
Tangerine Dream - Phaedra

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: October 18 2016 at 11:31
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

Love Beach
We Can't Dance
Under Wraps
Vapor Trails
Open Your Eyes
Metal Machine Music

Come on, how could you not include any Asia in there? Or ABBA?

Abba? Most progressive act ever! Well, except for John Denver

Posted By: timothy leary
Date Posted: October 18 2016 at 11:38
Echolyn....Mei
PFM......Stati di.......
Gentle Giant.......The Power.....
King Crimson.....Red
Porcupine Tree.....In Absentia
Moody Blues.....Days of 
Dun......Eros
Pink Floyd.....Animals

Posted By: akaBona
Date Posted: October 18 2016 at 14:22
Yes - Close To The Edge
Magma - Mekanik Destruktiw Kommandöh
King Crimson - Larks Tongues In Aspic
Van Der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts
Jethro Tull - A Passion Play
Hatfield And The North - I
National Health - Of Queues And Cures
Premiata Forneria Marconi - Per Un Amico

Very difficult task ...

Date Posted: October 18 2016 at 15:12
Can't believe I forgot Atom Heart Mother and Ommadawn, although I don't really consider the latter to be prog rock (same for krautrock, psychedelia, jazz fusion etc).

Also I'd have no problem with someone attempting to argue for Metal Machine Music being a great album. It's certainly a progressive one (obviously not prog).

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: October 18 2016 at 15:16
8 best?  Man that is hard...  listing favorites is easy. What do I think were the best prog albums... I'll have to think and drink on that....

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: October 18 2016 at 16:07
Originally posted by Flight123 Flight123 wrote:

It is a reasonable list for anyone new to the genre and includes some more left-field prog such as Zappa and Can.  I know we can all disagree on such lists, but the only surprise omission is an ELP album.  Not only did they shape and provide inspiration to the genre, along with the Floyd and Yes, they were actually one of the biggest (rock, not just prog) groups in terms of album sales and concert attractions - at least in the early 70s.

The more I relisten to ELP records the more I prefer The Nice........... Too much aimless work from Keith in ELP stuff.

-------------

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: October 18 2016 at 18:12
I agree with Micky. Best Prog is different from best album or personal favorite. Shut Up 'N' Play Yer Guitar is one of my all time favorites. It deserves to be called Prog, but it's not very representative. I have to think a little bit too.

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: October 19 2016 at 19:30
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

I agree with Micky. Best Prog is different from best album or personal favorite. Shut Up 'N' Play Yer Guitar is one of my all time favorites. It deserves to be called Prog, but it's not very representative. I have to think a little bit too.

yeah man...it ain't easy brother..  1 day and 6 pack later.. and only have come up 3 albums I think qualify as worthy of being called 'the best'. 2 no brainers..often variously mentioned as the best prog albums ever made.. likely will be 1 and 2 on my list... and of course agree comletely....and 1 less so which think qualifies...

still thinking... and drinking on the other 5! Beer

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Pastmaster
Date Posted: October 19 2016 at 20:04
1. Dave Mason Anthology
2. Dave Mason Anthology
3. Dave Mason Anthology
4. Dave Mason Anthology
5. Dave Mason Anthology
6. Dave Mason Anthology
7. Dave Mason Anthology
8. Abba Collection

Pretty easy I must say.

Posted By: CPicard
Date Posted: October 21 2016 at 10:00
^At least, a well balanced list! Hug

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: November 03 2016 at 02:53
Off the top of my head
Brain Salad Surgery
Foxtrot
The Human Equation
Moon madness
Fragile
Close to the Edge
Selling England by the Pound
Thick as a Brick

These are the albums I still listen to and are all masterpieces. The others have tended to wear off over time.

-------------

Posted By: Thatfabulousalien
Date Posted: November 03 2016 at 02:56
So no prog metal, just prog rock?

-------------
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: November 03 2016 at 03:00
Today's list:

1. Close to the Edge - Yes
2. Foxtrot - Genesis
3. Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd
4. Selling England by the Pound - Genesis
5. Köhntarkösz - Magma
6. Unfolded Like Staircase - Discipline
7. Part the Second - Maudlin of the Well
8. Echolyn - s/t

-------------

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: November 03 2016 at 06:46
Hi,

I wonder why the Hall of Shame doesn't think this thing known as "progressive" is a joke ... we can't even appreciate/agree on what makes it, and the variances and choices are so far apart, as to actually dismantle the definition and its purpose.

SAD!

I'm just curious to find out if all the folks that wrote their choices here, actually heard the other stuff, because I have that funny feeling, that they have not, and this makes it to be just like the Hall of Shame folks ... they never heard anything other than the top ten anyway ... or at least a famous hit of some kind! Or famous musician that the GM paid for to be listed?

Tongue

Wink

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: timothy leary
Date Posted: November 03 2016 at 07:30
^Your funny feeling is because you think so highly of yourself and never take into consideration other people besides yourself know something about music.

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: November 03 2016 at 07:48
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

I wonder why the Hall of Shame doesn't think this thing known as "progressive" is a joke ... we can't even appreciate/agree on what makes it, and the variances and choices are so far apart, as to actually dismantle the definition and its purpose.

SAD!

I'm just curious to find out if all the folks that wrote their choices here, actually heard the other stuff, because I have that funny feeling, that they have not, and this makes it to be just like the Hall of Shame folks ... they never heard anything other than the top ten anyway ... or at least a famous hit of some kind! Or famous musician that the GM paid for to be listed?

Tongue

Wink

I think that these lists, including mine, have more to do with undeniable classics.
'Shkito, you're very welcome to add a list of your own which may be full of refreshing suggestions Beer.

-------------

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: November 03 2016 at 08:34
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

SAD!

Tongue

Wink

...there is a "famous hit" somewhere here in prog land??? 

You have hit a small chord with your post Pedro, I think there is some validity to it....but yea, you should post your list.....Me? Can't, only can come up with 7, not 8
Tongue

-------------

Posted By: Kingsnake
Date Posted: November 03 2016 at 08:42
No specific or particul order, trying to combine different eras and styles
1. Thick as a Brick (JTull)
2. Subterranea (IQ)
3. Tubular Bells (M. Oldfield)
4. Snow Goose (Camel)
5. Romantic Warrior (Return to Forever)
6. Generation 13 (Saga)
7. Uoma (Uzva)
8. The Silicone Veil (Susanne Sundfør)

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: November 03 2016 at 13:09
These are my picks but it's based on what I like (don't know what'the best' means) since this is always subjective .....

CTTE- Yes
Thick As A Brick-Tull'
Selling England..-Genesis
Dark Side- Floyd
ITCOTCK- KC
Pawn Hearts- VDGG
ELP-same
Land Of Grey and Pink-Caravan

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: November 05 2016 at 01:09
^^^great list!!!

-------------

Posted By: MCspagheDi
Date Posted: November 07 2016 at 05:49
Off the top of my head I would say the best 8 in no particular order would be

Voyage of the Acolyte - Steve Hackett
H to He Who Am the Only One - Van Der Graaf Generator
In a Glass House - Gentle Giant
Foxtrot - Genesis
Remember the Future - Nektar
Close to the Edge - Yes
Tago Mago - Can
In the Land of Pink and Grey - Caravan

Those are the albums I listen to religiously.

Posted By: Progaholic2
Date Posted: November 13 2016 at 07:18
A Trick of the Tale was the first prog album I ever heard. I thought it was magical and has IMHO never been bettered by anyone

Posted By: Fragile
Date Posted: December 09 2016 at 16:54

Not been on here in ages the tragic death of Greg Lake brought me on and I know this has been done and re done but what the hey.

Close to the Edge
The Lamb Lies Down
ELP
Court of the Crimson King
Aqualung
For Girls who go Plump
Fugazi
Still Life

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: December 09 2016 at 17:16
Univers Zero - Ceux De Dehors
Mike Oldfield - Ommadawn
King Crimson - Larks Tongues In Aspic
Henry Cow - Western Culture
Hatfield & The North - Rotters Club
Nik Bartsch Ronin - Live
Knifeworld - The Unravelling
Radiohead - OK Computer
Thinking Plague - Decline & Fall
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - Of Natural History

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: TheLionOfPrague
Date Posted: December 09 2016 at 17:41
Today it is:

-Dark Side of the Moon
-Close to the Edge
-Thick as a Brick
-Selling England by the Pound
-In the Court of the Crimson King
-Tarkus
-Ommadawn
-Rock Bottom

-------------
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place

Date Posted: December 09 2016 at 19:01
Today for me it is:

-Uncle Meat
-In the Wake of Poseidon 
-A Strange Fantastic Dream, Ariel
-Out of the Storm, Jack Bruce
-Feel, George Duke
-Beyond, Ayers Rock
-The Yes Album
-Will Power, Joe Jackson

-------------

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: December 09 2016 at 19:20
Top five in chronological order:

Days of Future Passed
In the Court of the Crimson King
Thick as a Brick
Close to the Edge
Wish You Were Here

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Posted By: presdoug
Date Posted: December 09 2016 at 21:02
Triumvirat-Mediterranean Tales
Triumvirat-Illusions  On  A Double Dimple
Triumvirat-Spartacus
Dzyan-Time Machine
Dzyan-Electric Silence
Wallenstein-No More Love
Libra-Libra
Passport-Cross Collateral

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: December 09 2016 at 21:08
With only one album per band:

Yes- close to the edge
Genesis- A trick of the tail
Gentle Giant -Octopus
Spock's Beard - the Light 
Camel- The Snow Goose
ELP- same
King Crimson - Larks' tongues in Aspic
Marillion - clutching at straws

If I could put more than one album (and a few extras):

Genesis- Selling England by the Pound
Yes- Relayer 
Jon Anderson - Olias of Sunhillow
Porcupine Tree - Lightbulb Sun
Steve Hackett - Voyage of the Acolyte
Rush - Permanent Waves(Hemispheres too)

Posted By: zravkapt
Date Posted: December 09 2016 at 21:29
Professor Dildo & The Sandstorm Of Truth
Headless Herman's Hairy Hornets
Cats & Rats & Bats & Hats
The Geometry Of Geography
Wet Fire
Frogs
The Day The Sun Danced Backwards
Kind Of Blue

-------------
Magma America Great Make Again

Posted By: Woon Deadn
Date Posted: January 06 2017 at 09:08
Thanks for the opinion for sure, but the author of that list probably has little knowledge of the whole gamut of the genre. It is simply impossible to pick 8 best. There are things that are just impossible.

How can one miss Cressida's Asylum, Spring's first album, Still Life's eponymous masterpiece, Atlantis Philharmonic, Beggar's Opera?

I would rather talk about 150 Progressive Rock Recordings I Should Listen To Before I Die. No less.

Posted By: Terrapin Station
Date Posted: January 06 2017 at 09:38
Boo on In the Court of the Crimson King.

Not that I dislike that album, and I'm a huge Crimson fan, but in my opinion every other Crimson album is better.

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: January 06 2017 at 10:45
1. Trout Mask Replica
2. Under Wraps
3. Thing-Fish
4. The Final Cut
5. Open Your Eyes
6. Holidays in Eden
7. Calling All Stations
8. In the Hot Seat

-------------

Posted By: Pastmaster
Date Posted: January 06 2017 at 11:05
1. Gentle Giant - In a Glass House
2. Rush - Caress of Steel
3. Eloy - Floating
4. Rush - A Farewell to Kings
5. Gentle Giant - Free Hand
7. Rush - Permanent Waves
8. Eloy - Inside

It may switch around sometimes, but if we're not counting progressive and extreme metal, and just progressive rock, this is mainly what gets in my top 8.

Date Posted: January 06 2017 at 11:46
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

1. Trout Mask Replica
2. Under Wraps
3. Thing-Fish
4. The Final Cut
5. Open Your Eyes
6. Holidays in Eden
7. Calling All Stations
8. In the Hot Seat

I'm guessing that either you don't like Trout Mask Replica very much or you have even more unique taste than I do.

Date Posted: January 06 2017 at 11:54
Originally posted by Terrapin Station Terrapin Station wrote:

Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

1. Trout Mask Replica
2. Under Wraps
3. Thing-Fish
4. The Final Cut
5. Open Your Eyes
6. Holidays in Eden
7. Calling All Stations
8. In the Hot Seat

I'm guessing that either you don't like Trout Mask Replica very much or you have even more unique taste than I do.

Just another silly post but I do like Trout, very entertaining and quite hilarious.

-------------

Date Posted: January 06 2017 at 11:58
I actually love Thing-Fish, The Final Cut, and Open Your Eyes.  I almost love Under Wraps.  And Calling All Stations and In the Hot Seat I like even though I don't love them.  But none of them would be in a top 8 for me.  Trout Mask Replica wouldn't be a top 8 for me, either.  I love that one, too, although it would probably only be about halfway down a ranked list of Captain Beefheart albums for me.

Date Posted: January 06 2017 at 12:00

-------------

Date Posted: January 06 2017 at 21:07
Again... it's 8 OF the best not the best 8. Prog fans behaving like normal run of the mill people. Tut.

Posted By: omphaloskepsis
Date Posted: January 07 2017 at 08:50
My favorites...Most of my choices depend on which day in my life it is...

Dark Side of the Moon
The Yes Album
Aqualung
Prawn Hearts
Nursery Crime
Lizard
Tango Mango
The Grand Wazoo

Posted By: ClaudeV
Date Posted: January 07 2017 at 09:19
A bit crazy to do such lists because art cannot be ranked, but for fun

Genesis: The Lamb
Pink Floyd: The  Wall
VDGG: Still Life
Camel: Mirage
Ange: Au delà du délire
Le Orme: Felona e Sorona (Italian version)
Twelfth Night: Fact and Fiction
Steve Hackett: Spectral Mornings

A lot of other albums are just as good as these, and it's all older stuff because music leaves a deeper impression when you are a teenager or a young adult, which was my case when I first listen to these records. I started listening to prog in 1978, so at the beginning of the end of the first wave and through the horrendous eighties.

Posted By: SamMac
Date Posted: January 17 2017 at 23:13
Pawn Hearts
The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
Foxtrot
The Silent Corner and the Empty Page
Close to the Edge
Selling England by the Pound
Permanent Waves
The Piper at the Gates of Dawn

Alternates:
Nursery Cryme/Duke
The Least We Can Do/H to He Who am the Only One/Godbluff/Still Life
Moving Pictures/2112/Hemispheres/Signals/Grace Under Pressure
Tales From Topographic Oceans

Date Posted: January 17 2017 at 23:25
Woah, this is harder than I thought it'd be, I'll be bach

-------------
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: January 18 2017 at 01:06
8 of the best? 

But....

But....

Torman Maxt only has 4 albums.

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Date Posted: January 18 2017 at 02:17
o.k., so here is my list:

1) Peter Hammill - The Fall of the House of Isher
2) Mother Gong - Fairy Tales
3) Nik Turner - Xitintoday
4) Van der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts
5) Hawkwind - Warrior on the Edge of Time
6) Edgar Froese - Epsilon in Malaysian Pale
7) Magma - Mekanik Destruktriw Kommandöh
8) Gong - You

and here the 8 best live albums:

1) Van der Graaf Generator - Vital
2) Magma - Live (1975)
3) Hawkwind - Space Ritual
4) Guru Guru - Live (1978)
5) Colosseum - Live
6) Kraan - Live
7) Frumpy - Live
8) Traffic - On the Road

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: verslibre
Date Posted: January 18 2017 at 09:52
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

8) Gong - You
Albums in bold = Clap

2) Magma - Live (1975)
5) Colosseum - Live
6) Kraan - Live
7) Frumpy - Live
8) Traffic - On the Road

I'm one of the weird guys who likes Live Chronicles!

And that Colosseum is fantastic!

-------------
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1&_ssn=musicosm" rel="nofollow - eBay

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: January 18 2017 at 11:53
Originally posted by Woon Deadn Woon Deadn wrote:

How can one miss Cressida's Asylum, Spring's first album, Still Life's eponymous masterpiece, Atlantis Philharmonic, Beggar's Opera?

I also love all those old proto prog and early things ....thanks for mentioning Atlantis Philharmonic....wasn't aware of them.
Smile

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: January 19 2017 at 04:05
Ok, I'll attempt it, at one album an artist:

Voivod - Dimension Hatross
Henry Cow - Western Culture
Gong - You
The Doors - The Doors
Zappa - Uncle Meat
John Zorn - Astronome or Naked City - Radio
Beefheart - Trout mask replica
Meshuggah - Catch 33
Devin Townsend - ZTO
Ben Levin - Freak Machine
The Residents - Not Available
Thinking Plague - In This Life 
Dream Theater - Awake (the only album of theirs I really love)
Roger Waters - Amused to Death
Yes - Close to the edge
Dillinger Escape Plan - Miss Machine
Iron Curtain - A new model of the universe
Paladin - Charge!
The Boredoms - Chocolate Synthesizer
Magma -Üdü Ẁüdü
Ruins - Tzomborgha
Maja Osojnik - Let Them Grow
This Heat - This Heat
Fates Warning - Perfect Symmetry 
Tool - Aenima
Death - Human
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - Of Natural History
Spocks Beard - The Light
Iron Maiden - 7th son of a 7th son (if it counts)

Then lots and lots more Cool

-------------

Posted By: Upbeat Tango Monday
Date Posted: January 19 2017 at 04:37
To me, this is the absolute TOP 5...just add three more albums and you're done.

A Passion Play - Jethro Tull
The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway - Genesis
Tales From Topographic Oceans - Yes
Brain Salad Surgery - ELP
Larks' Tongues in Aspic - King Crimson

-------------
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.

Date Posted: January 19 2017 at 05:01
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

8) Gong - You
Albums in bold = Clap

2) Magma - Live (1975)
5) Colosseum - Live
6) Kraan - Live
7) Frumpy - Live
8) Traffic - On the Road

I'm one of the weird guys who likes Live Chronicles!

And that Colosseum is fantastic!

"Live Chronicles" is a great live album as well.

the albums of Nik Turner and Mother Gong are little known gems, as is the live album of Guru Guru. I will post links to each:

Nik Turner:

Mother Gong:

Guru Guru:

-------------

Posted By: Prog Snob
Date Posted: February 05 2017 at 00:09
Top 8 is ridiculously hard without leaving off someone deserving, especially considering I try to listen to as much as possible.

Best:
Yes - Close to the Edge
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon or Wish You Were Here
Rush - 2112 or Hemispheres
Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick
Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
Van Der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts
PFM - Per Un Amico
King Crimson - In The Court of the Crimson King

My Favorites (One from each of my Top 10):
Dream Theater - Images and Words
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Rush - Permanent Waves
Anathema - Weather Systems
Marillion - Marbles
Steven Wilson/Porcupine Tree - Lightbulb Sun
Neal Morse/Spock's Beard - The Light
Yes - Close to the Edge
King Crimson - In The Court of the Crimson King
The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper

-------------

Posted By: maryes
Date Posted: February 05 2017 at 08:31
The list of best progressive albums certainly would be different even between the musicians of same band , which I think, would be "in tune" or have a  approximately same  taste to play music together ! So, obviously, my list is also different. !!!! 

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: February 05 2017 at 09:24
My top 8 (strange number..)

In no order..

The Lamb - Genesis
Moving Pictures - Rush
Animals - Pink Floyd
To our childrens childrens... - Moody Blues
Red - King Crimson
Warrior on the egde of tiem - Hawkwind
Hot Rats - Frank Zappa
A trick of the tail - Genesis

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: floyd4
Date Posted: February 05 2017 at 18:55
I love Pink Floyd but I think there are better and more prog-y albums that Pink Floyd made, and while Shine on you Crazy Diamond Parts 1-9 is amazing in WYWH Atom Heart Mother is awesome just for the title Suite.< id="_npfido" ="applicationpfido" height="0">

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: February 06 2017 at 08:45
If I do away with the "one per artist" rule, my list is pretty boring:

1) Yes Tales From Topographic Oceans
2) Genesis The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
3) Yes Fragile
4) Yes Close To The Edge
5) Genesis Foxtrot
6) Pink Floyd Animals
7) ELP Brain Salad Surgery
8) Jethro Tull Thick As A Brick

Posted By: Prog Snob
Date Posted: February 06 2017 at 19:49
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

If I do away with the "one per artist" rule, my list is pretty boring:

1) Yes Tales From Topographic Oceans
2) Genesis The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
3) Yes Fragile
4) Yes Close To The Edge
5) Genesis Foxtrot
6) Pink Floyd Animals
7) ELP Brain Salad Surgery
8) Jethro Tull Thick As A Brick

You're right. It's not a surprising list but damn it's one awesome list of music to listen to!

-------------

Posted By: socrates17
Date Posted: March 01 2017 at 06:43
Pawn Hearts - VdGG
Lizard - King Crimson
Mekanïk Destruktïw Kommandöh - Magma
In Praise of Learning - Henry Cow
In the Land of Gray and Pink - Caravan
After Bathing at Baxters - Jefferson Airplane
Un Peu de l'Âme des Bandits - Aksak Maboul

Pequeñas Anécdotas Sobre las Instituciones - Sui Generis

Honorable mention:  Angel's Egg - Gong, Heresie - Univers Zero, Learn to Talk - Skeleton Crew, Lumpy Gravy - Frank Zappa, Måltid - Samla Mammas Manna, Voix du Surface - Nimal, Les Sillons De La Terre - Etron Fou Leloublan & Huono Parturi - Höyry-Kone

Date Posted: March 01 2017 at 08:02
Originally posted by socrates17 socrates17 wrote:

Pawn Hearts - VdGG
Lizard - King Crimson
Mekanïk Destruktïw Kommandöh - Magma
In Praise of Learning - Henry Cow
In the Land of Gray and Pink - Caravan
After Bathing at Baxters - Jefferson Airplane
Un Peu de l'Âme des Bandits - Aksak Maboul

Pequeñas Anécdotas Sobre las Instituciones - Sui Generis

Honorable mention:  Angel's Egg - Gong, Heresie - Univers Zero, Learn to Talk - Skeleton Crew, Lumpy Gravy - Frank Zappa, Måltid - Samla Mammas Manna, Voix du Surface - Nimal, Les Sillons De La Terre - Etron Fou Leloublan & Huono Parturi - Höyry-Kone

You and I are going to get along well. Great list.

Posted By: Woon Deadn
Date Posted: March 01 2017 at 08:53
While I utterly realize that there have to be at least Top 15, let me give something like this (no ranking):

1. Cressida - Asylum
2. Fantasy - Paint A Picture
3. Spring - Spring
4. Genesis - Trespass
5. Gentle Giant - Gentle Giant
6. Gentle Giant - Three Friends
7. Genesis - Foxtrot
8. Yes - Fragile

Posted By: Prog_Frog
Date Posted: March 04 2017 at 22:00
1. Yes - The Yes Album
2. Tool - Lateralus
3. Rush - Hemispheres
4. Spock's Beard - V
5. Yes - Relayer
6. Genesis - Foxtrot
7. Porcupine Tree - Deadwing
8. Muse - Black Holes & Revelations

Posted By: Mesman
Date Posted: March 07 2017 at 06:07
pictures at an exhibition - elp
close to the edge - yes
gentle giant- gentle giant
red - king crimson
emerson lake and palmer - elp
meddle - pink floyd
ocean - eloy
thick as a brick - jethro tull

Date Posted: March 17 2017 at 03:52
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

My top 8 (strange number..)

That's cos it's 8 of the best..  not the 8 best, yours, mine or anyone.

This thread certainly indicates improvisation on a 'theme' is a stronger idea than maintaining a consistent structure.
Wink

Posted By: Mystic Mamba
Date Posted: April 13 2017 at 23:20
I discovered classic and modern prog at the same time, so I've always found the bias towards classic prog rather amusing. My list would be as follows (warning: controversial opinions), in alphabetical order:

1. Evening Games (Satellite)
2. Incantations (Mike Oldfield)
3. Into the Electric Castle (Ayreon)
4. Jeremias (Circle of Illusion)
5. Milliontown (Frost*)
6. Odyssey: The Greatest Tale (Various)
7. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (Dream Theater)
8. Tales From Topographic Oceans (Yes)

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: April 14 2017 at 06:56
I'm not listing my personal favourites but rather a personal "the 8 biggest ones" list, which is a bit of a contradiction in terms, but anyway.
I think that the "big 6" should be represented, so I choose
Close to the Edge - Genesis Live (so much more exciting than any of their studio albums) - Ummagumma (the live album is "the essential Pink Floyd" to me, and the studio album demonstrates how weird prog can get) - Thick as a Brick - Tarkus - ??? (from King Crimson it's toughest for me to pick, Court, Lark's, Red, Discipline? All great, all super important. I still go for my personal favourite:) Discipline
So I am left with two wild cards and here I can't resist putting in two other favourite bands of mine nominating Tago Mago, and finally, OK, I have probably now put enough edgy experimental stuff in so I spare the listener of my selection from having to put up with Art Zoyd, Cardiacs, Talk Talk and rather go for something somewhat more conservative and prog-mainstream, OK not exactly Camel but... Pawn Hearts. (Doing this I wonder whether I should have nominated Spirit of Eden as one "substantially later than 70s" release, but no, I go largely with classics...)

Posted By: mlkpad14
Date Posted: April 14 2017 at 08:01
Originally posted by Prog_Frog Prog_Frog wrote:

1. Yes - The Yes Album
2. Tool - Lateralus
3. Rush - Hemispheres
4. Spock's Beard - V
5. Yes - Relayer
6. Genesis - Foxtrot
7. Porcupine Tree - Deadwing
8. Muse - Black Holes & Revelations

No, not Tool...

-------------
https://gamecrazyprofessional.weebly.com/

Posted By: mike1259
Date Posted: May 21 2017 at 19:44

1.Atom Heart Mother
2.Pawn Hearts
3.Tarkus
4.Illusions on a Double Dimple
5.Pictures At An Exhibition (Isao Tomita)
6.Interview
7.Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy)
8.The Quiet Zone / The Pleasure Dome

These polls can be very useful. If I discover someone else shares the bulk of my opinions then I'll be very much inclined to audition the rest of his choices. So Thank You and please keep them coming!

Posted By: Mirror Image
Date Posted: May 21 2017 at 19:51
I don’t know about ‘best,’ but here are 8 of my favorite prog albums (in no particular order):

Genesis: The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
Genesis: Wind & Wuthering
Pink Floyd: The Wall
Pink Floyd: Wish You Were Here
Yes: Close to the Edge
Yes: Tales from Topographic Oceans
King Crimson: Red
King Crimson: Larks Tongues in Aspic

-------------
“Music is enough for a lifetime but a lifetime is not enough for music.” - Sergei Rachmaninov

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: May 22 2017 at 09:15
They get a bit tiring after a while. At least this one breaks from consensus a bit especially since it includes Fragile and not CTTE. However, I can't take any list like this too seriously if it doesn't include CTTE. 

Posted By: Zeropikinz
Date Posted: May 22 2017 at 09:22
(1) King Crimson - Red(1974),                                                                                                                                      (2) Caravan- In the land...(1971),                                                                                                                                                               (3) Peter Hammill-In Camera(1974),                                                                                                                                                 (4)Camel-Moonmadness(1976),                                                                  (5)Gentle Giant-In A Glass House(1973),                                                               (6) Steve Hackett-Spectral Mornings(1979),                                                                                                                                                                 (7) Piknik-Rodom Nietkuda(Come From Nowhere)(1988),(8)Jungle- Spring In Shanghai(1989).

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk