Forum Description: Discuss any topic at all that is not music-related
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=109069
Printed Date: April 26 2024 at 19:59
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: 2016 NHL Thread
Posted By: Man With Hat
Subject: 2016 NHL Thread
Date Posted: October 12 2016 at 20:10
Hockey officially starts tonight! (or has started already...)

A. Matthews starts his career with four goals in his first ever game. And because it's the Leafs they lose in OT.Tongue

Looking forward to the blueshirts kicking off soon.

Predictions? Hopes? Etc?  

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Replies:
Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: October 13 2016 at 04:35
The Red Wings' season is all about trying to keep the playoff streak alive.  Best bet is that this is the year that it ends.  Datsyuk has retired from the NHL to move back and play in Russia and too much money is tied up in great players on the downside of the hill.  Zetterberg, Kronwall, Franzen, and Ericsson all afflicted with various chronic injuries that will severely limit their effectiveness this year.  A 6-1-1 preseason may give some hope and there is a lot of good youth on the team so with any luck they can repeat last year and sneak into the playoffs again. 

-------------

Posted By: ColonelClaypool
Date Posted: October 13 2016 at 05:39
Being Norwegian, I hope Zucca is able to continue his stellar play from last season after being robbed for the Masterton trophy.

-------------
With magic, you can turn a frog into a prince.
With science, you can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with.

Posted By: AEProgman
Date Posted: October 13 2016 at 07:30
Do believe a Pens repeat is not likely to happen, but as good a chance as any I guess.  Crosby suffered another concussion in pre-season and will not play in tonight's opener against Mickey's Capitals.

Amazing feat by Matthews in his first game.  Made the opening headlines in that 4 letter sports network's talking heads this morning, good for hockey!

Lets go PENS!

-------------

Date Posted: November 03 2016 at 20:12
Hate to jinx it, and I know it's early but the rangers offense is looking incredibly strong right now. They are fast and ferocious!

-------------

Posted By: rdtprog
Date Posted: November 05 2016 at 09:26
For long suffering Blue Jackets’ fans, the scene at Nationwide Arena on Friday night was 2½ hours of euphoria and incredulity. Is this really happening? The Blue Jackets beat the Montreal Canadiens 10-0 — that is not a typo — before a stunned, celebratory crowd of 14,436. In the future, thousands more will claim to have paid witness. It was that kind of night.

EmbarrassedEmbarrassed

-------------
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

Date Posted: November 05 2016 at 18:27
^ Yikes! That's a baseball score.

-------------

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: November 06 2016 at 06:37
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

Do believe a Pens repeat is not likely to happen, but as good a chance as any I guess.  Crosby suffered another concussion in pre-season and will not play in tonight's opener against Mickey's Capitals.

Amazing feat by Matthews in his first game.  Made the opening headlines in that 4 letter sports network's talking heads this morning, good for hockey!

Lets go PENS!

AngryThumbs DownLOL

so begins another season which will lead to mass consumption and breaking of hearts.. ie ... the Ovechkin era of Washington hockey.LOL

that said.. man oh man does the East look loaded this year. In particular the Metro division...  can wait to watch the Rangers, Caps and Pens slug it out not only for the Division title.. but the President's Cup. 

Good start by the Habs.... I have my over/under on their eventual collapse at mid-January.LOL

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: November 06 2016 at 07:44
^ Yes, the East looks loaded for bear this season.  Those 3 will probably beat each other to a pulp and none of them will advance far in the playoffs LOL.

Game On!

-------------

Date Posted: November 06 2016 at 07:50
looks to be a great year.

not doing predictions...  too long a season.. too many (ahem.. Caps) can look great for 6,7,8 months then fall apart as spring comes. LOL Even more so than baseball.. it is all about being hot at the right time and having a goaltender that carry you to the finish line.

Nice to see a heartbeat in the Oiler franchise though...

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: March 18 2017 at 16:35
It is looking pretty certain that the playoff streak does end this year..  It was lots of fun while it lasted.

-------------

Date Posted: March 20 2017 at 16:22
^ Pretty unbelievable that it lasted as long as it did. Even in your crappy part of the east you guys just seem to plummet. :p

-------------

Date Posted: March 21 2017 at 16:48
whoo hoo!!!! It is almost that time of year. A rite of passage for D.C sports fans

Getting geared up for the annual Springtime heartbreak/collapse here.... first bottle of Jack Daniel's pocketed.. suppose I'll need another before their season comes crashing down around them

oh yeah...  ditch the stupid f**king playoff format already....

-------------

Posted By: Hunting Girl
Date Posted: March 26 2017 at 17:11
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

whoo hoo!!!! It is almost that time of year. A rite of passage for D.C sports fans

Getting geared up for the annual Springtime heartbreak/collapse here.... first bottle of Jack Daniel's pocketed.. suppose I'll need another before their season comes crashing down around them

oh yeah...  ditch the stupid f**king playoff format already....
Not this year. The Caps are hoisting the Cup.

Date Posted: March 26 2017 at 17:13
my liver and years of abusing it come springtime warn me to not get my hopes up.

Perhaps you are the good luck charm this year!!

Date Posted: March 26 2017 at 17:28

my liver and years of abusing it come springtime warn me to not get my hopes up.

Perhaps you are the good luck charm this year!!
Well I imagine I haven't sufferred through as many playoff colapses as you have. I hope I can be that lucky charm.

Date Posted: March 26 2017 at 17:34
Beer  we wouldn't be true fans if we hadn't had our hearts crushed a few times and keep coming back for more.

That said.. yeah.. I really like the way the team is built this year.  It isn't all Ovi  they can, and have been winning without him scoring goals.

Date Posted: March 26 2017 at 17:38

Beer  we wouldn't be true fans if we hadn't had our hearts crushed a few times and keep coming back for more.

That said.. yeah.. I really like the way the team is built this year.  It isn't all Ovi  they can, and have been winning without him scoring goals.
I love the addition of Kevin Shattenkirk.

Date Posted: March 26 2017 at 17:43
I never saw that move coming... and that might well prove the missing piece they always lacked.. then again.. the beauty and pain of the NHL playoffs is the amount of luck involved..  we are due for a timely puck roll this year. For once be the team for whose goalie the puck looks like a beachball...

just please God.. I know you are out there... listen to my prayers.. if it not to be us this year... PLEASE.. oh please don't let the Penguins win it again this year LOL

Date Posted: March 26 2017 at 18:00

I never saw that move coming... and that might well prove the missing piece they always lacked.. then again.. the beauty and pain of the NHL playoffs is the amount of luck involved..  we are due for a timely puck roll this year. For once be the team for whose goalie the puck looks like a beachball...

just please God.. I know you are out there... listen to my prayers.. if it not to be us this year... PLEASE.. oh please don't let the Penguins win it again this year LOL
That is what it always seems to come down to in the Playoffs and it don't seem really fair. Which ever team has the hot Goalie and last year it was Matt Murray and the Penguins they will win.

Date Posted: March 26 2017 at 18:15
perhaps not fair.. but then again it is what sets the NHL playoffs above any other sport for shear drama and unpredictablity.. they are the best playoffs in all sports..

Date Posted: March 26 2017 at 18:37

perhaps not fair.. but then again it is what sets the NHL playoffs above any other sport for shear drama and unpredictablity.. they are the best playoffs in all sports..
I agree with that. Really the only other two days in sports that are even close to as exciting and I am not really into it that much but have friends who are are the first 2 days of March Madness. If you are into that sort of thing.

Date Posted: March 26 2017 at 18:48
I am.. until my beloved Pokes lose. . that is when they bother even making the tournament... then I lose all interest in March madness. Really can't say I'm much of a basketball fan... hockey, women's tennis, baseball, and Serie A football are my big 4 sports.

Date Posted: March 26 2017 at 19:05

I am.. until my beloved Pokes lose. . that is when they bother even making the tournament... then I lose all interest in March madness. Really can't say I'm much of a basketball fan... hockey, women's tennis, baseball, and Serie A football are my big 4 sports.
I am mostly a Capitals, Nationals, and Redskins fan. In school I don't get into sports. I am into Theater.

Date Posted: March 26 2017 at 19:09
how cool...  just wait till the guys find out that.. you'll get bombarded about the joys of lame 70's Genesis music  and how well music and theater mix.  For that... yeah... you need to go to the Italian stuff.. no one does music better.. no one does theater better.. and NONE mixed them better.

Date Posted: March 26 2017 at 19:18

how cool...  just wait till the guys find out that.. you'll get bombarded about the joys of lame 70's Genesis music  and how well music and theater mix.  For that... yeah... you need to go to the Italian stuff.. no one does music better.. no one does theater better.. and NONE mixed them better.
That sounds awesome. Are you speaking of the Peter Gabriel Genesis days? Even though I haven't listened to much of that I do prefer that over the Phil Collins fluff stuff other than "Abacab" which I actually do like. 

Date Posted: March 26 2017 at 19:22
yeah... of the Gabriel years...  I guess it is fair to say I'm not a fan LOL  Oh I love moments of it, true brilliance, but most of it I really don't care for and have spent years needling and picking on those that do love it.

Date Posted: March 26 2017 at 19:34

yeah... of the Gabriel years...  I guess it is fair to say I'm not a fan LOL  Oh I love moments of it, true brilliance, but most of it I really don't care for and have spent years needling and picking on those that do love it.
It is quite Bizarre that is for sure. One of my favorites though is "Dancing with the Moonlit Knight".

Date Posted: April 08 2017 at 07:48
speaking of having a bottle of J.D. at the ready...   woo hoo... it is that time of year.

predictions?

Heart says the Caps... brain says the Pens...

like last year... the winner of the Caps-Pens 2nd round clash wins the cup... and they have our number. Will this year be different.. hah...

what is the practical definition of insanity...

doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Date Posted: April 10 2017 at 16:57
Playoffs kick off Wednesday...

I'll admit, I haven't been keeping up with the NHL this year, like I've done in years past (last year particularly), so I especially have no idea on the West...but call me crazy but I don't feel like there is a favorite this year. Last year the Pens were clearly clicking on all cylinders  at the right time and were obviously the lead dog. This year...idk...

I assume Washington will again choke away their great regular season, the rangers will again not be able to capitalize now that their offense seems to be pretty darn good, the blue jackets will again not win a playoff series...

I guess this means I'm picking the Pens again to come out of the east...any one in the west can challenge them?

Predictions in due time...

-------------

Posted By: Larkstongue41
Date Posted: April 10 2017 at 18:26
I'm crazy excited for this year guys!!!!

My picks for the 1st round
West:
Chicago (vs Nashville)
St.Louis (vs Minnesotta)
Anaheim (vs Calgary)
Edmonton (vs San Jose
East:
Montreal (vs NYR) (GO HABS GO!!!)
Boston (vs Ottawa)
Washington (vs Toronto)
Pittsburgh (vs Colombus)

Chicago this year again? I expect the Blackhawks to get past the Ducks in the Conference final and I anticipate a Montreal vs Washington Eastern final. Mark my words, I have a peculiar feeling about the habs this season.

-------------
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."

Date Posted: April 10 2017 at 20:02
By the way forget Pittsburgh going far this year guys... Sure anything can happen in the playoffs but they won't repeat last year's miracle and Letang's out so their D is one of the remaining teams' weakest.

-------------
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: April 12 2017 at 13:04
My dear Isles missed the playoffs, so (after being on the sour side for a few days) I can relax and watch the playoffs (and rooting for anyone who's up against the Rags, sorry, Rangers LOL) without having to be irritated by my team's performance. The only thing I have to worry about now is the Bluesh*te, sorry again, Rangers (old habit LOL) winning the whole thing, but that won't happen, right? It can't, can it? Sh*t!

Anyway, predictions:

Firs Round:

West:
Chicago v. Nashville
Minnesota v. St. Louis
Anaheim v. Calgary
Edmonton v. San Jose

East:
Montreal v. NY Rangers
Ottawa v. Boston
Washington v. Toronto
Pittsburgh - Colombus

Second Round:

West:
Chicago v. St. Louis
Anaheim v. San Jose

East:
Montreal v. Ottawa
Washington v. Pittsburgh

Conferance Finals:

West:
Chicago v. San Jose

East:
Washington v. Montreal

Stanley Cup Final:

Washington v. San Jose

Yeah, I have a good feeling about the guys with the long beards. Wink They were close last year, here's hoping they can deny the Caps going all the way.

-------------

Date Posted: April 12 2017 at 14:08

playoff time... enough said.. as a fan since 1980 when we moved west out to DC...

Anyway, predictions:

First Round:

West:
Chicago v. Nashville
Minnesota v. St. Louis
Anaheim v. Calgary
Edmonton v. San Jose

East:
Montreal v. NY Rangers
Ottawa v. Boston
Washington v. Toronto
Pittsburgh - Colombus

Second Round:

West:
Chicago v. Minnesota
Calgary v. Edmonton

East:
NY Rangers v. Ottawa
Washington v. Pittsburgh (Beerhiss.....)

Conferance Finals:

West:
Minnesota v. Edmonton

East:
Washington v. NY Rangers

Stanley Cup Final:

Washington v. Edmonton

Yes, I have a good feeling about Trotz's guys Wink They were close last year, denied by their hated rivals, but perhaps this is the year.  The west really isn't that good... especially in comparison to the beast that is the east.... going with a hunch.. and a sleeper team riding the hot back of the next great superstar of the sport. His legend truly starts building now...

Date Posted: April 12 2017 at 17:33
Ah, its playoff time.  As much as it pains me to type this, I don't feel the Pens will repeat and think Mickey's Caps time may finally come...they have more than the Ovenchicken to carry them.  But as they say, that's why they play the games....my picks.

First Round:

West:
Chicago v. Nashville
Minnesota v. St. Louis
Anaheim v. Calgary
Edmonton v. San Jose

East:
Montreal v. NY Rangers
Ottawa v. Boston
Washington v. Toronto
Pittsburgh - Colombus  may take 7 games

Second Round:
Chicago v. St. Louis
Anaheim v. San Jose

Montreal v. Boston
Washington v. Pittsburgh   Ouch!!!  But, Lets Go Pens!

Con Finals
Chicago v. Anaheim
Washington v. Montreal

Finals
Washington v. Chicago

-------------

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: April 12 2017 at 21:21
No predictions. But I lumbered over the border and I'm eating poutine to try and give the Sharks some mojo.
Not.
Working.
Yet.

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Date Posted: April 13 2017 at 00:32
Yay they won!

Boo! I don't want poutine 15 more times.Dead

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Date Posted: April 13 2017 at 10:17
East:

Pittsburgh in 5
Washington in 5
Montreal in 7
Boston in 6

Pittsburgh in 7
Montreal in 5

Pittsburgh in 6

West:
Chicago in 6
Minnesota in 7
Anaheim in 6
Edmonton in 7

Chicago in 6
Edmonton in 7

Chicago in 6

Finals - Chicago over Pittsburgh in 7

-------------

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: April 13 2017 at 22:15
The Cup to Nashville, best defense in the league.

-------------

Date Posted: April 14 2017 at 09:53
^ it was massively impressive to see them shutout Chicago in Chicago.

-------------

Date Posted: April 14 2017 at 10:49
Massively...and the word is weak. Wow!

-------------

Date Posted: April 16 2017 at 07:32
last night was a reminder of why I love ..and hate playoff hockey so much.

poor Blackhawk fans... ouch... no one saw that coming..  I had them at least getting out of the first round even if I thought they were not near as good as they had been in years past.

And that Toronto team.. wow...  add some more quality blue liners and that team will be a Cup winning threat.  Young, talented and fearless.  Caps in a dogfight there.. no surprise I suppose. Nothing ever comes easy for that team.... or their long suffering fans hahaha

Date Posted: April 16 2017 at 10:19
Something's not right in Chicago... The guys don't seem hungry for winning at all anymore. But even down 0-2 I wouldn't bet against them.

-------------

Date Posted: April 16 2017 at 10:24
we in DC still have Carey Price nightmares....  that is the crapshoot of the NHL playoffs.. if you can't score.. you don't win. All it takes is a hot goalie, the better team does not always win unlike the NBA which you knew back in October which handful of teams would be competing for the title 6 months later. Biggest waste of a regular season in all sports LOL

Counting them out?  Bad enough losing twice.. being shutout twice... wouldn't count them out.. but if they solve Pekka it is game over man... game over

Date Posted: April 16 2017 at 11:59
Two games in Chicago without hearing f'ing Chelsea Dagger...pure bliss.

Date Posted: April 16 2017 at 12:32
Clearly I've overestimated Chicago's prowess this year.

-------------

Date Posted: April 17 2017 at 20:55
Go leafs go!

Also, the rangers might want to start going as well. The last 20 minutes of game two was no push at all and they looked somewhat sluggish in game 3 aswell....

-------------

Date Posted: April 18 2017 at 10:07
Nice collapses by Chicago and especially Calgary last night.

-------------

Date Posted: April 20 2017 at 12:43
Well, thanks for stopping by Calgary. Guess that collapse was just too much to overcome.

-------------

Date Posted: April 20 2017 at 14:49
I sure expected a lot more from Calgary. They finished the season so damn well.

-------------

Date Posted: April 20 2017 at 21:36
Loloops hawks. I f**ked that up spectacularly.

-------------

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: April 21 2017 at 23:21
Some amazing and sharp hockey going on lately. Incredible plays and unreal intensity. 

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Posted By: rdtprog
Date Posted: April 22 2017 at 05:03
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

Some amazing and sharp hockey going on lately. Incredible plays and unreal intensity. 

Some brutal hockey where the referees are letting everything go and give you a 2-minute penalty when you try to rip the head off your opponent. I have never seen so many broken sticks from players who use the sticks more for slashing the player than to play the puck. Yes, it's intense modern hockey in the same spirit of the caveman age...

-------------
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

Date Posted: April 22 2017 at 06:17
yeah... I"m all for letting the boys play and swallowing the whistle.. but that hit on Ovie last night for example was nothing but dirty..he was going for the knees...a double minor or a major easily.

Date Posted: April 22 2017 at 06:22
Originally posted by Larkstongue41 Larkstongue41 wrote:

I sure expected a lot more from Calgary. They finished the season so damn well.

yeah.. same here. At least the Oilers carried their great late season form into the playoffs.  They were my pick to advance out of the west. Then again.. if Nashville continues as the did against Chicago.. that sweep was impressive. I didn't think the Blackhawks were as good as the best in the east, but still..  4 game sweep.. 3 goals.  Nashville looks good enough to not only win the west.. but beat whoever comes out of the east.

Date Posted: April 22 2017 at 20:16
Time to watch my team get eliminated. 

Date Posted: April 22 2017 at 21:02
NYR!!!!

Knockout baby. Round 2 here we come.

-------------

Date Posted: April 22 2017 at 21:04
What a disappointment. Except for last game's OT and tonight's game after the 1st period, Montreal completely dominated the Rangers but they have so much trouble scoring and Price wasn't playing at his full potential this series while Lundqvist was way good.

Mark my words, I have a peculiar feeling about the habs this season.

Well... I now know what this odd feeling was about.....

-------------

Date Posted: April 22 2017 at 21:11
^ they do kind of remind me of the rangers of several years ago...great goaltending, solid to great defense, occasional yet disappointing offense.

That said they were great at applying pressure, just not consistent with it. Not that I'm complaining. :p

-------------

Date Posted: April 22 2017 at 21:21
At least it's encouraging to see Lundqvist still at the top of his game at 35. Keeps my hopes high to one day see Price lift the cup in Montreal.

-------------

Date Posted: April 23 2017 at 06:37

At least it's encouraging to see Lundqvist still at the top of his game at 35. Keeps my hopes high to one day see Price lift the cup in Montreal.

comparing the level of overall talent simply between Montreal and the rapidly experiencing young talent in Toronto.. I wouldn't hold my breath on that.  Goaltenders can and have stolen series...  but never a cup.  Price is really the grade A talent on that team. They need a substantial infusion of talent around him IMO to seriously compete for a cup and as the Caps have proven for years.. even that is often not enough. LOL

Date Posted: April 23 2017 at 11:07
Micky, I truly hate to but will disagree with you on goaltenders. Patrick Roy stole the cup in 1993 in Montreal, who had a so-so team but Roy was thief central. On the other hand, that was the rare exception bc otherwise , without a decent team, i doubt that can be repeated ever again. 

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Date Posted: April 23 2017 at 17:27
King Henrik put baby Price in his little pocket.

This team is even weaker than I suspected.

The Cup in Montreal in the years to come? Lol

-------------

Date Posted: April 23 2017 at 17:48
Weaker than you suspected? That team has proven that it can be one of the very best in the league when they play at their best. They went beastmode in the first quarter of the two last seasons starting with 12+ wins and no regular time losses, I watch every game and they were literally unbeatable at that point. Even during this series, they played far better than New York in most games, leading in possession time, shots, and average corsi. They played tight defensively but the Rangers capitalized on every little mistake from Montreal's defense, very opportunistic in contrast to the Habs. If Julien can establish the structure necessary to be consistent and give his players the drive to play at their full potential and if Bergevin can keep Radulov and add at least one good center, Montreal would be one hell of a team.

-------------

Date Posted: April 23 2017 at 18:00
The last good center we had was Damphousse...200 years ago.

Time to trade Price and Galchenyuk for that big #1 center.

and I give you Nate the great gratis.

-------------

Date Posted: April 23 2017 at 18:30
Impossible to dare trading Carey Price. He had a rough season coming back from that nasty injury and training all the way through the offseason to participate in the World Cup but I believe that guy more than anybody else in the league has the ability to make a team win by himself.

I'd be all in for trading Galchenyuk though despite his promising potential. I think Galchenyuk, Plekanec and Beaulieu is worth a #1 center in an offseason trade. Perhaps Tavares or Duchene... I'm dreaming but who knows.

-------------

Date Posted: April 23 2017 at 18:36
I appreciate this team more than it looks, f**king pissed off atm.

-------------

Date Posted: April 23 2017 at 18:41
I totally get that. I don't even know why I'm taking it so easily myself. Maybe because I did my mourning after game 5, that OT loss was brutal.

-------------

Date Posted: April 23 2017 at 20:10
2nd round:

Anaheim (vs Edmonton)
St. Louis (vs Nashville)

New York (vs Ottawa)
Washington (vs Pittsburgh)

I'm pretty confident in my choices for the East but it will be hard-fought in the West for sure. I guess I'm rooting for Edmonton and Nashville now that my team's gone.

-------------

Date Posted: April 24 2017 at 14:18
Great round one (not for my picks, but for actual hockey). Hopefully round 2 will live up to the billing.

Picks:

Sens over Rangers in 7
Pens over Caps in 7

Preds over Blues in 6
Oilers over Ducks in 7

-------------

Date Posted: April 24 2017 at 17:01
Looks like my picks are toast since I picked Blackhawks vs Caps.  Blackhawks were dreadful.

Shame that Pens and Caps have to meet in 2nd round, that would be a great conf final, it should go the full 7 games in their usual war.  It should be a good 2nd round... Lets Go Pens!!

-------------

Date Posted: April 24 2017 at 17:10

Micky, I truly hate to but will disagree with you on goaltenders. Patrick Roy stole the cup in 1993 in Montreal, who had a so-so team but Roy was thief central. On the other hand, that was the rare exception bc otherwise , without a decent team, i doubt that can be repeated ever again. 

'93 huh... you got me there my friend.  The only thing I remember that year Thomas was drowning myself and my personal demons in bottles (cases in fact) of Jack Daniels in between fronting my band and somehow ending up on the Dean's list at Ok St.  Loved Oklahoma.. but the hockey coverage sucked LOL

standing corrected.. but then again.. Price is and never has been Roy.

Not being attuned to the hate and rivalry.. how much is it going to hurt you guys to see the Leafs win cups.. perhaps multiple as Penguins and Capitals (and Rangers for that matter) are nearing the end of their team shelf lives as their stars start the downslide of their careers and their teams exit their Cup windows. 

Agree with much I am reading...far from a near collapse like years past... the Caps played a very good, even great, series once they adjusted to Toronto's speed (which may serve them well coming up against the Pens).. and they lost if they didn't.  Next year?  A new beast in the east.. that Toronto team impressed a lot of people.. myself included... youth, talent, size, skill, and speed to burn.

Date Posted: April 24 2017 at 17:17

Looks like my picks are toast since I picked Blackhawks vs Caps.  Blackhawks were dreadful.

Shame that Pens and Caps have to meet in 2nd round, that would be a great conf final, it should go the full 7 games in their usual war.  It should be a good 2nd round... Lets Go Pens!!

Beer  hopefully a great one if but a round too early.  Go Caps!!!

Your speed killed us last year... and with the defensive upgrades and the hard earned experience of fighting through a team perhaps with as much talent and speed... perhaps we finally get through you all this year.  If we do...

like last year.. who wins this one.. wins the Cup.

Caps in 6. I think they are simply better this year.. and the Pens just not quite as good (or as healthy)

Date Posted: April 24 2017 at 17:28
oh yeah..predictions...

completely blew the west.. with exception of my pick to come ou of the west. Missed the other 3.

Interestingly.. no game 7's in first round...  going with none in the 2nd.  Very definite favorites in these IMO.

Rangers over Sens in 5
Caps over Pens in 6

Preds over Blues in 5
Oilers over Ducks in 6

Date Posted: April 24 2017 at 17:46

'93 huh... you got me there my friend.  The only thing I remember that year Thomas was drowning myself and my personal demons in bottles (cases in fact) of Jack Daniels in between fronting my band and somehow ending up on the Dean's list at Ok St.  Loved Oklahoma.. but the hockey coverage sucked LOL

standing corrected.. but then again.. Price is and never has been Roy.

Not being attuned to the hate and rivalry.. how much is it going to hurt you guys to see the Leafs win cups.. perhaps multiple as Penguins and Capitals (and Rangers for that matter) are nearing the end of their team shelf lives as their stars start the downslide of their careers and their teams exit their Cup windows. 

Agree with much I am reading...far from a near collapse like years past... the Caps played a very good, even great, series once they adjusted to Toronto's speed (which may serve them well coming up against the Pens).. and they lost if they didn't.  Next year?  A new beast in the east.. that Toronto team impressed a lot of people.. myself included... youth, talent, size, skill, and speed to burn.

Well, you look at dreadful teams in the recent past like the Oilers and the Leafs, who are currently impressing so many fans, one can only surmise that certain teams will revamp (hello Canucks, Black Hawks, Kings and Red Wings) and load up on fast, big and smart youngsters. The pool of world wide talent is there. 
if Toronto wins a Cup , big deal ! They would probably deserve it then. 

-------------

Date Posted: April 24 2017 at 18:00
yeah... but something I had overlooked until I read it today...

who is Toronto's GM...in charge of building that team.. something those other teams don't have..  he had already built one multiple cup winning decade plus long dynasty... more than capable of doing it there..  he sure has the parts with only needing to tighten up the talent on the blue line.

I was sort of curious how deep the rivalry ran between the fans and teams up there... obviously we have our own down here with the Pens. Of course we are always the ones getting our asses handed to us by them come playoff time.. so yeah it is probably a one sided rivalry ...reminds me of college where we HATED OU..  they whipped us every year.. and man how we hated it.. and them.. yet their feelings towards us...  nothing more than little puppies nipping at their ankles. LOL

Date Posted: April 24 2017 at 18:34
Well Montreal and all those Stanley Cups has a little deeper history, obviously. Toronto represented the English crowd (Maurice Richard was almost viewed as a war hero against the conformist Toronto-led NHL) . The Bad Bruins remain the long time hated adversary. When the Nordiques were around, it was geographical and to an extent societal battle. 
Toronto is a great city but it still struggles with things like fashion and culture , will never be the rebellious non-conformist sexy city Montreal was, is and will always be.
Leafs GM is Lou Lamoriello, not exactly the dullest mind, eh? Great coach in Babcock and former star Shanahan as president. They will be good. 

-------------

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: April 25 2017 at 03:10

Well Montreal and all those Stanley Cups has a little deeper history, obviously. Toronto represented the English crowd (Maurice Richard was almost viewed as a war hero against the conformist Toronto-led NHL) . The Bad Bruins remain the long time hated adversary. When the Nordiques were around, it was geographical and to an extent societal battle. 
Toronto is a great city but it still struggles with things like fashion and culture , will never be the rebellious non-conformist sexy city Montreal was, is and will always be.
Leafs GM is Lou Lamoriello, not exactly the dullest mind, eh? Great coach in Babcock and former star Shanahan as president. They will be good. 

This despite having absorbed almost a half-million Montrealers between 76 and 81, which made Toronto come out of the XIXth C provincial town state of mind  into a modern XXIst C megametropolis...
I saw it happen with my very own eyes, but we still rushed out to Montreal every second w-e to party, booze, toke and get lais

(mmmmhhh!!!... those québécoise were for sure more promiscuous than our Torontonian ice cubes)LOL

==============

Sill upset about the Habs being out, thoughOuch... and between the Bruins (historically my second fave team after the Habs) and the Sens , I'm not unhappy for the SensSmile... And I can't believe those C&W Nashville hicks eliminating in four straifght the CBH Confused. Happy to see the Oilers finally resurfacing though... After all if the Islanders did it last year, the Oilers were able to as well

Is that project to reimplant a QC franchise still on, btw??

Date Posted: April 25 2017 at 11:39
To-redneck-onto? Come on, guys.

Yeah they're on the right track but there's nothing impressive about a team who missed the playoffs 10 times in the last 12 years.

J'ai mal au coeur.

-------------

Date Posted: April 25 2017 at 14:41
With the Red Wings not making the playoffs this year for the first time in 26 years, we don't know what to do with ourselves here in "Hockeytown".  Me personally; I have moved on to baseball. 

-------------

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: April 25 2017 at 16:19
Second round predictions:

Ottawa v. NY Rangers
Washington v. Pittsburgh

St. Louis v. Nashville
Anaheim v. Edmonton

-------------

Date Posted: April 25 2017 at 17:11
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

With the Red Wings not making the playoffs this year for the first time in 26 years, we don't know what to do with ourselves here in "Hockeytown".  Me personally; I have moved on to baseball. 

f**king Captcha.. and on a Mountain one to add salt to the gunshot wound...

try this again.. as I didn't save it haha

Yeah Scott... I've been obviously deeply immersed in the Caps but one one eyes cast to the European clay court season and the other cast to my beloved O's.  Figures about the time they get decent starting pitching the offense would sink.  Oh well... 

Date Posted: April 25 2017 at 18:46
Originally posted by The Bearded Bard The Bearded Bard wrote:

Second round predictions:

Ottawa v. NY Rangers
Washington v. Pittsburgh

St. Louis v. Nashville
Anaheim v. Edmonton

Price for Tavares, Bard?

Just sick of those 0-1/2-1 Habs games.

-------------

Date Posted: April 27 2017 at 11:11
3 shots from Subban... 3 goals and Nashville takes the first game with a lucky bounce. Love ya PK.

-------------

Date Posted: April 27 2017 at 11:19
And have you guys seen Fiala's fall? The dude broke his damn femur, nasty.

-------------

Date Posted: April 27 2017 at 16:41

And have you guys seen Fiala's fall? The dude broke his damn femur, nasty.

nope..

30+  years later I still look away when they replay Theismann's sack... uhh uh. 

Party night here.. whoo hooo. Go Caps!!!!

Date Posted: April 27 2017 at 17:14

given the tigers' recent runs that might not be any better :p

-------------

Date Posted: April 27 2017 at 17:15
also, quite a fun game last night in Anaheim.

-------------

Date Posted: April 28 2017 at 06:39
Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

given the tigers' recent runs that might not be any better :p
My expectations aren't very high.  Really just hoping for some meaningful games in late September.  A playoff appearance would just be the cherry on top, but not really expected.  The bullpen is just too awful yet again.

-------------

Date Posted: April 28 2017 at 07:01
and that is why Caps fans are drunks...and those are the bandwagon fans.. the long time ones are full blown alcoholics

outplayed them for the most part....yet gave up a 2 on 1 and a breakaway.. and both ended up in the back of the net.  Fabulous defensive season... Holtby top 2 or 3 goalie in the league.. elite goalies bail out their defense and make those stops... yet come playoff team... poof...  disappear.

that said.. if game 1 is a hint..  will be a hell of a series.. win or lose.

Date Posted: April 28 2017 at 07:08

and that is why Caps fans are drunks...and those are the bandwagon fans.. the long time ones are full blown alcoholics

outplayed them for the most part....yet gave up a 2 on 1 and a breakaway.. and both ended up in the back of the net.  Fabulous defensive season... Holtby top 2 or 3 goalie in the league.. elite goalies bail out their defense and make those stops... yet come playoff team... poof...  disappear.

that said.. if game 1 is a hint..  will be a hell of a series.. win or lose.

Tough loss Mick.  Damn what a tough battle this series is going to be!  Don't know how Fleury managed some of those saves, even with no stick once.

Syd the Kid and the Ovenchicken go at again Saturday night, will have to get some good dark beer and kick back.

Still p*sses me off they have to play this early in the play offs....

-------------

Date Posted: April 28 2017 at 07:15
Beer

Date Posted: April 28 2017 at 13:22
Fleury is playing the best hockey in his career right now. I thought he was done after seeing Murray win the cup last year but it seems like it fired him up. The Caps are a great team, certainly in top 3 of most well-balanced teams but they seem to be always playing at 75% of effort. Hopefully for you guys they'll realize how high the stakes are early enough and start to play with intensity. I think they lack leadership, I'm sure Ovechkin is not a good captain.

-------------

Date Posted: April 28 2017 at 16:50
What problems they have ...such as why they lost last night are not because of effort (they outplayed and outworked the Pens for large stretches of the game).. nor lack of leadership whatever that mystical quality entails...

when your defense makes only two mistakes... and both end up in back of the net. Has nothing to do with leadership. It is all upon the goaltender there.  Fleury outplayed Holtby and if that continues it is series over man.. series over hahha

Holtby needs to step it up to what he did for near the entire regular season or the Caps won't win.. he and the improved defense which were tops in the NHL...which was no fluke over the course of the entire season...were supposed to be the Caps great advantage and why (in spite of their underachieving history) many did pick them to win it all... and why this year they could.. and by talent alone.. should win it all.

Date Posted: April 29 2017 at 19:14
After watching the Ottawa vs Rangers game, which was fun to watch, the play in the Caps vs Pens is at another level.  Although the Caps are outplaying the Pens in the 1rst period, the Pens D looks good, but don't know how long Fleury can keep up that pace.  Great game so far!  

Sucking down a Flying Fish, Abbey Dubble, Belgium style (malty dark side) beer for the game!  Lets go Pens!
Image result for flying fish abbey dubbel

Damned Captcha@%#$@*$%#$^

-------------

Date Posted: April 29 2017 at 21:17
up two with 4 minutes to go and score two short handed goals and still lose.....

series over.

-------------

Date Posted: April 29 2017 at 21:24
Pens up 2 games, 2nd period turned the tide for the most part.  Caps had a number of shots bounce off the pipe through the last 2 periods, but the Pens D, Fluery, and Pens hustle to the puck came through in the end.  Anyway, more games yet to play. 

-------------

Date Posted: April 29 2017 at 21:36
also, f**k the lottery system and f**k the devils.

-------------

Date Posted: April 29 2017 at 21:37

Pens up 2 games, 2nd period turned the tide for the most part.  Caps had a number of shots bounce off the pipe through the last 2 periods, but the Pens D, Fluery, and Pens hustle to the puck came through in the end.  Anyway, more games yet to play. 

ill admit, I haven't really watched much of this series but in the slight amount I have seen it seems like the pens are outclassing the caps in every way.

-------------

Date Posted: April 30 2017 at 06:44
well that was ugly.. LOL

I do get the sense that unlike previous years... a blow up might be coming ... the fans are NOT happy and while the hard core fans will always be there the bandwagon/casual fans are already flooding social media with disgust and giving up on the team.   Sure they are pussies.. but they also fill seats.. ownership may have to blow the team up for after this sh*t show and if it doesn't change competely and they come back and win this series.. no one will ever take this team seriously again.. not the league.. but more importantly.. the fanbase.

Not every team wins... I think everyone gets that.. what drives people nuts are the vast disapargency between teams that dominate for 82 games...   not in a isolated fluke year.. but over a period of years... and yet completely flounder...  not merely losing in the playoffs... but looking completely inept while doing it.

Go Caps!!  It will take Holtby and his blue liners reverting back to form...  no margin or error anyone.  They can do it... but they have probably dug themselves too deep for the Pens are too good to get run 4 of 5 no matter who well Holtby now plays.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk