Forum Description: Discuss any topic at all that is not music-related
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=109073
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 04:35
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Nobel Prize for Literature goes to Bob Dylan
Posted By: BaldJean
Subject: Nobel Prize for Literature goes to Bob Dylan
Date Posted: October 13 2016 at 11:13
Robert Zimmerman alias Bob Dylan was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature today. a surprise decision, but well rewarded (though I don't like his music the lyrics are excellent). congratulations

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Replies:
Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: October 13 2016 at 11:39
Seriously...? Nobel for 'literature'...?
Confused

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Date Posted: October 13 2016 at 11:49
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Confused

poems are literature as well, and what else but poems are song lyrics? it is not the first time a poet wins the Nobel Prize for Literature

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: October 13 2016 at 12:05
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Confused
Doc, the answer is blowing in the wind. Clown

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: October 13 2016 at 12:11
Well, it sure as hell can't be an award for being able to carry a tune.

Posted By: timothy leary
Date Posted: October 13 2016 at 12:11
Or rolling like a stone

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: October 13 2016 at 12:12
Dylan's got some mighty fine song lyrics but read as pure text/poetry/literature exclusively - even his strongest material is rather uninteresting. 

-------------

Posted By: The T
Date Posted: October 13 2016 at 12:26
Nobel Peace Prize for the president of Colombia, Literature one to Dylan... 

The Nobel foundation should just stick to chemistry and physics (if...)

-------------

Posted By: CPicard
Date Posted: October 13 2016 at 12:58
Weird, but why not? On the other hand, Lou Reed would have been a better choice (and I'm not doing a Troll thing this time).

Date Posted: October 13 2016 at 13:25
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Dylan's got some mighty fine song lyrics but read as pure text/poetry/literature exclusively - even his strongest material is rather uninteresting. 
Agreed. A+ for lyrics. D- for Literature.
It's almost unthinkable how many songwriters Dylan influenced. From the Beatles to Procol Harum to Jimi Hendrix. Simply amazing.

-------------

Date Posted: October 13 2016 at 13:49
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Agreed. A+ for lyrics. D- for Literature.
It's almost unthinkable how many songwriters Dylan influenced. From the Beatles to Procol Harum to Jimi Hendrix. Simply amazing.

so what kind of poetry would you consider to be worthy of the Nobel Prize?

-------------

Date Posted: October 13 2016 at 14:02
^Seriously, Yeats, Elliot and Kipling come to mind.

-------------

Posted By: Vompatti
Date Posted: October 13 2016 at 14:20
^ they've already gotten it k

Posted By: Mascodagama
Date Posted: October 13 2016 at 14:28
Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

Indeed.  Also, if you don't get before you die, you don't get.

Date Posted: October 13 2016 at 14:39
I'm starting to wonder why Sweden hasn't elected already its own version of Trump 

-------------

Date Posted: October 13 2016 at 15:35

Wow, what a coincidence! Wink

-------------

Posted By: silverpot
Date Posted: October 13 2016 at 16:01
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

I'm starting to wonder why Sweden hasn't elected already its own version of Trump 

We don't have presidents Wink. A single person can't rise to such power here. Fortunately.

Posted By: Equality 7-2521
Date Posted: October 13 2016 at 16:50
Cormac McCarthy, DeLillo, Pynchon amazing American novelists who haven't won. Hundreds of people from underrepresented countries and groups deserving of the prize. I don't get it. Nothing against Bob Dylan but are they trying to make this Nobel as big of a joke as the peace prize?

-------------
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "

Posted By: EddieRUKiddingVarese
Date Posted: October 13 2016 at 16:55
My vote would go to Spinal Tap, you know their works such as Big Bottom are a  masterpiece........ and will outlive dear old Bob.....

The bigger the cushion, the sweeter the pushin'
That's what I said
The looser the waistband, the deeper the quicksand
Or, so I've read.
My baby fits me like a flesh tuxedo
I love to sink her with my pink torpedo.

Big bottom
Big bottom
Talk about bum cakes
My gal's got 'em.
Big bottom
Drive me out of my mind.
How can I leave this behind?

-------------
"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: October 13 2016 at 17:05
So someone finally heard his music from the 60s or something?

Posted By: Ivan_Melgar_M
Date Posted: October 13 2016 at 17:08
I am simply angry

- Jorge Luis Borges
- Julio Cortazar
- James Joyce
- Franz Kafka

Died without receiving the well deserved Nobel

And the academy gives the award to Dylan.

Don't misunderstand me, I love Dylan's lyrics, but not in the level for a Nobel Prize.

Iván

-------------

Date Posted: October 13 2016 at 18:22
Virginia Woolf somehow died without winning one.

-------------
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "

Date Posted: October 13 2016 at 18:54
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

I am simply angry

- Jorge Luis Borges
- Julio Cortazar
- James Joyce
- Franz Kafka

Don't misunderstand me, I love Dylan's lyrics, but not in the level for a Nobel Prize.

Iván

Agreed. But remember the Nobel franchise has jumped the shark as evidenced by awarding an award to Obama who took the reins of the current war mongering empire and has committed unspeakable war crimes in his tenure as commander as chief in this here USA. Nobel would rolll over in his grave if he knew how his vision was being distorted. 

Date Posted: October 13 2016 at 19:02
Not really. The Nobel Peace prize has been like that. The economics prize is also kinda odd. The rest of the prizes have been fine sans the science ones maybe being inappropriately white-male-centric and the literature prize maybe favoring too much surprising literature choices with ties to social engagement.

-------------

Date Posted: October 13 2016 at 19:13
^ the fact that Obama received a Nobel Peace Prize while Ghandi didn't tells me the whole thing is a big scam and only propoghanda for the purposes of promoting empiristic enterprises. Nobel himself had other things in mind. Like any great thinker who dies, this whole idea has been hijacked and distorted. I do love Dylan so don't think i don't, but i agree with Ivan that his visionary poetic visionary contritbutions weren't up to par with the greatest literary visionaries of the 20th century

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: October 13 2016 at 20:07
And we're a music site, imagine how the world of literature must be reacting

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: October 13 2016 at 20:12

I am simply angry

- Jorge Luis Borges
- Julio Cortazar
- James Joyce
- Franz Kafka

Iván
All wonderful authors, but none of their words had the same effect over so many millions of people across the world. Both the Anti-War and Civil Rights movements of the 1960s were affected by Dylan lyrics. No poet of the 20th century had such a profound effect on everyone from The Beatles to the left wing radicals the "Weathermen" (who borrowed their name from Subterranean Homesick Blues).

Again, I own books by each of the authors you listed, but how many people can quote them? How many people have even read them? Dylan deserved it.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...

Date Posted: October 13 2016 at 20:55
^ Dylan is not literature! He's a musician! They need another category if they're gonna do this. Why not give Stephen Hawking a Peace Prize Award because he wasn't physically able to start a war! Damn. Personally i think all awards are complete BS. They are simply subjective just as every experience in life only someone was chosen to paint their opinions in pretty colors. 

Posted By: mechanicalflattery
Date Posted: October 13 2016 at 21:33
Kafka died mostly unpublished (just a few short stories I believe, none of his incomplete novels), so there would have been no way for him to get a Nobel prize.

Date Posted: October 13 2016 at 21:57
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

All wonderful authors, but none of their words had the same effect over so many millions of people across the world. Both the Anti-War and Civil Rights movements of the 1960s were affected by Dylan lyrics. No poet of the 20th century had such a profound effect on everyone from The Beatles to the left wing radicals the "Weathermen" (who borrowed their name from Subterranean Homesick Blues).

I ca't disagree more:

1.- Not all the world is English speaker, most people from Latin America and Spain, don't care for the lyrics in English, I don't even believe that more of 50% of English speakers give a damn for lyrics....As a fact, in Latin America Dylan was never popular.

100% of people who buy a  book reads it, I don't believe that more of 50% (If even) of the people who buy an album, gives a damn about lyrics

2.- Borges and Cortazar are read in each and every country from Latin America, Spain and even in non speaking Spanish countries, not to talk about James Joyce and of course Kafka who is studied in every school in the planet.

3.- The anti War movement was a matter of the USA and people outside USA cared very little about it, and most of those who know about it, don't give the importance you believe....Most were left wing students who has an excuse to shout against "Capitalist Yankees" but knew very little about it.

You can't compare Dylan with these guys

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Again, I own books by each of the authors you listed, but how many people can quote them? How many people have even read them? Dylan deserved it.

How many people outside USA can quote Dylan?

I'm sure you would be surprised if you research how many people in USA can quote him except for the title of a song and  maybe a phrase.

I'm sure Dylan is influential but mostly among musicians and really hard core rock fans as us.

-------------

Date Posted: October 13 2016 at 22:00
Originally posted by mechanicalflattery mechanicalflattery wrote:

Kafka died mostly unpublished (just a few short stories I believe, none of his incomplete novels), so there would have been no way for him to get a Nobel prize.

How many people here read Vargas Llosa?

How many people in USA and UK read García Marquez before he won the Nobel?

But the question is not how many read Kafka, but the quality of his work.

Iván

PS: I studied The Metamorphosis in primary school, I believe this happens in all the planet, or at least most of it.

-------------

Date Posted: October 14 2016 at 07:27
^This time I 100% agree with Ivan (except in the liking for his music; I don't like it at all). Outside of the US Dylan is not the world-changer he's made to be here. 

Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Nobel himself had other things in mind. Like any great thinker who dies, this whole idea has been hijacked and distorted.
Well, it's kind of fitting that the inventor of dynamite's name is used to give prizes to people who start wars. 

-------------

Date Posted: October 14 2016 at 07:29

^This time I 100% agree with Ivan (except in the liking for his music; I don't like it at all). Outside of the US Dylan is not the world-changer he's made to be here. 

Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Nobel himself had other things in mind. Like any great thinker who dies, this whole idea has been hijacked and distorted.
Well, it's kind of fitting that the inventor of dynamite's name is used to give prizes to people who start wars. 

LOL. Great point and kinda makes sense in the crazy world in which we reside LOL

Date Posted: October 14 2016 at 07:52
Originally posted by mechanicalflattery mechanicalflattery wrote:

Prize in literature was awarded posthumously to Karlfeldt in 1931 seven years after Kafka had died. It was possible though it is not anymore.

-------------

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: October 14 2016 at 09:33
The novelist Hari Kunzru was equally sceptical. “This feels like the lamest Nobel win since they gave it to Obama for not being Bush,” he said. LOL

-------------
What?

Date Posted: October 14 2016 at 10:22
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

The novelist Hari Kunzru was equally sceptical. “This feels like the lamest Nobel win since they gave it to Obama for not being Bush,” he said. LOL

Well, that was an achievement. LOL

-------------

Date Posted: October 14 2016 at 12:09
^Imagine if they gave one to Bush. Sick

-------------

Date Posted: October 14 2016 at 12:15
Giving a prize for peace is different than actually bringing peace. 

Date Posted: October 14 2016 at 12:17

Nope, that's unthinkable-

The achievement is not being Bush, LOL

-------------

Date Posted: October 14 2016 at 12:33

-------------

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: October 14 2016 at 12:34
I am just about Bob's biggest fan north of Bremen. I utterly adore his lyrical output and find it among the finest ever put to paper inside the music industry. The man is a genius. I especially adore his early infatuation with the beatnik generation...yet I still fail to grasp why he should eligible for receiving the nobel price of literature. Considering he has only ever written one book. I could also think up about a hundred or so writers that deserve this title before even considering Bob (the human lamb).

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: October 14 2016 at 12:56
Winston Churchill won for literature, why not Bob Dylan.......the times they are a changing

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: October 14 2016 at 13:10
Yeah I know...still doesn't make sense to me. I am one of those weird folks who believe that the recipient of the nobel peace prize in literature should be an actual writer.
The world is mad though. Next thing we'll probably see rap artists included in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame...oh wait.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: October 14 2016 at 13:13
Churchill's History of the English Peoples (and many, many other books) make him 2394763 times more worthy than Mr. Dylan, whatever you think of Winston's politics 

-------------

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: October 14 2016 at 13:14
Rewarding a singer/songwriter with the Nobel Prize for Literature may be a weak approach, but he can anyway be credited with adding some brains to rock music and a strong influence. If the Nobel Committee wants to undignify the Nobel Prize for Literature like they did with the Nobel peace prize, they have still a long way to go. Bob Dylan is a way better pick than Yasser Arafat, Barack Obama or the Evil Union. 

-------------

Date Posted: October 14 2016 at 13:27

Churchill's History of the English Peoples (and many, many other books) make him 2394763 times more worthy than Mr. Dylan, whatever you think of Winston's politics 

That many, boy was I wrong.

Date Posted: October 14 2016 at 13:30
Just his gigantic history of WWII has more into it than all of Dylan's three-minute songs (not because of their length of course)

-------------

Date Posted: October 14 2016 at 13:36
There are plenty of gigantic histories of WW2, probably a lot of them with false info. Bob Dylan songs on the other hand.......the fact that the academy saw fit to award him the prize says it all.

Date Posted: October 14 2016 at 13:40
My (original) comment was addressing your "Winston Churchill won for literature, why not Bob Dylan" one. I added my own judgement of course but my main point was objecting at your dismissal of Churchill as another 'what the hell were they thinking' example of Nobel prize awarding. It certainly is not. That I think Dylan is not worthy in the end is actually rather irrelevant 

-------------

Posted By: EddieRUKiddingVarese
Date Posted: October 14 2016 at 16:14
There will be so many Lyricists feeling peeved today, you know Aqua (Barbie Girl), Adadoo (Pineapple up a tree), Los Del Rio (Macarena), Joe Dolce (Shaddap-a you face), Bart Simpson(Do the Bart Man), Billy Ray Cyrus(Achy Breaky Heart), The Muppets (Mahna Mahna), Rick Dees (Disco Duck) and anything by Andrew Lloyd Webber/ Tim Rice

-------------
"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!

Date Posted: October 14 2016 at 16:15
Literature grammy (sorry Nobel), had a couple of mistakes, Chyrchil was one, the other was Alexandr Solzhenitsyn, no matter how much I loved the book, it was for political reasons, not for it's quality, more likely deserved a Pulitzer.

But no mistake is as monumental as Dylan's

Now any Hollywood screenwriter may be elected or maybe J. K Rowlings because she inspired a new generation to read or some similar excuse, and that's absurd.

If they like Dylan so much, they could create The Music Nobel, but literature is for world class writers, not for a good lyricist.

-------------

Date Posted: October 14 2016 at 18:19
Evidently the prize committee did not check with you first.

Date Posted: October 14 2016 at 18:35
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

Evidently the prize committee did not check with you first.

They should have. LOL

Now seriously, it's their award, they can do whatever they want with it........But the Literature Nobel has lost credibility.

-------------

Date Posted: October 14 2016 at 18:46
Since songs are probably the earliest form of literature I don't mind them giving the prize to a songwriter, it's just that there are dozens or hundreds of songwriters who would have deserved it as much as or more than Dylan.

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: October 14 2016 at 19:00
^ But if they are gonna give it to a S/S, Dylan's as worthy as, who, Joni?  Lennon?  Don't tell me Peter Gabriel...

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Date Posted: October 14 2016 at 19:20
I dunno, Tom Waits, Paul Simon, David Bowie (dead), Lou Reed (dead), Bruce Springsteen even.

Awarding someone like Leonard Cohen or Patti Smith who are as much as poets as a songwriters would probably have made more sense and caused less of a stir.

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: October 14 2016 at 19:27
Nah.   For important semi-poetic singers, Bob D. is as good a choice as anyone and will cause the least stir.  Try telling someone Patti Smith won the Nobel Prize and you'll get a lot of "Oh.  Who?"

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Date Posted: October 14 2016 at 19:43
In an imperfect world, i would at least have Bob Dylan win this coveted award over say Donald Trump!!!

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: October 14 2016 at 22:39
Trump's written more books than Dylan.

-------------
What?

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: October 14 2016 at 22:43

How many people outside USA can quote Dylan?

Askin' the cops wherever I go, have you seen dignity?

-------------

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: October 15 2016 at 04:28
Originally posted by EddieRUKiddingVarese EddieRUKiddingVarese wrote:

There will be so many Lyricists feeling peeved today, you know Aqua (Barbie Girl), Adadoo (Pineapple up a tree), Los Del Rio (Macarena), Joe Dolce (Shaddap-a you face), Bart Simpson(Do the Bart Man), Billy Ray Cyrus(Achy Breaky Heart), The Muppets (Mahna Mahna), Rick Dees (Disco Duck) and anything by Andrew Lloyd Webber/ Tim Rice

Their time may come yet Wink.

-------------

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: October 15 2016 at 06:48
should have given it to Jon Anderson... LOL

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Date Posted: October 15 2016 at 09:03
Honestly wouldn't mind if it had gone to MF Doom.

-------------

Date Posted: October 15 2016 at 09:08
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

should have given it to Jon Anderson... LOL

They were considering him but the judges fell asleep while listening to Tales From Topographic Oceans. The first thing they heard after waking up was Dylan and, obviously, his lyrics sounded like the summit of high art in comparison so that's when they decided to award him the Nobel.

-------------

Posted By: A Person
Date Posted: October 15 2016 at 09:09

I dunno, Tom Waits, Paul Simon, David Bowie (dead), Lou Reed (dead), Bruce Springsteen even.

Awarding someone like Leonard Cohen or Patti Smith who are as much as poets as a songwriters would probably have made more sense and caused less of a stir.

Tom Waits winning the Nobel for literature wouldn't bother me at all tbh

Date Posted: October 15 2016 at 09:22

Everyone of the performers you noted would point to Dylan for their primary poetic inspiration. In fact, Cohen commented that giving Dylan the Nobel equates to "pinning a medal on Everest", Simon said, "I'm trying to remember if there is anyone else besides Bob Dylan who could have influenced me, but I really can't imagine that there was," Waits said "Before epic tales and poems were ever written down, they migrated on the winds of the human voice and no voice is greater than Dylan's", and Springsteen commented that "Bob Dylan is the father of my country." Patti Smith has written poems about Bob Dylan, Bowie has covered Dylan's work, and Lou Reed was such a prick that he would never admit his debt.

-------------
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined

Date Posted: October 15 2016 at 09:37
Of course we should also remind people that the Nobel is not supposed to be an American prize.

-------------

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: October 15 2016 at 09:44
Have Haruki Murakami won it yet?

-------------

Date Posted: October 15 2016 at 09:48
no

Date Posted: October 15 2016 at 10:19
Popular music featured real lyrics long before Dylan. Like for as long as music has been around.

-------------

Date Posted: October 15 2016 at 10:21
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Popular music featured real lyrics long before Dylan. Like for as long as music has been around.
Yes, but not on platinum albums. Frank Sinatra didn't start singing protest songs because he heard a Woody Guthrie 78 rpm LP.

-------------

Date Posted: October 15 2016 at 10:22
Damn now it turns out Dylan is basically the basis for all western popular rock music.

-------------

Date Posted: October 15 2016 at 10:35

Damn now it turns out Dylan is basically the basis for all western popular rock music.

That's a pretty shallow reply. I don't believe I said that; however, I will suggest that very few artists affected popular music, and rock in particular, in such a manner. Although you might not like Dylan, perhaps you might like someone from a list of international artists that covered Dylan tunes (there are several prog and prog-related performers on the list):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_artists_who_have_covered_Bob_Dylan_songs" rel="nofollow - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_artists_who_have_covered_Bob_Dylan_songs

-------------

Date Posted: October 15 2016 at 10:44
coca cola won he nobel price in chemisry
l ron hubbard won the nobel price in physics
and ozzy osborn won the nobel price in mediscine, 

ClownClownClown

-------------

Date Posted: October 15 2016 at 10:44
Bob Dylan took up the mantle of Woody Guthrie. You all can complain about Dylan winning but obviously the people who hand out the award saw a deserving voice.

Date Posted: October 15 2016 at 10:47

Bob Dylan took up the mantle of Woody Guthrie. You all can complain about Dylan winning but obviously the people who hand out the award saw a deserving voice.
Pete Seeger was also a strong quality lyracist

-------------

Date Posted: October 15 2016 at 10:48
Even both your replies mostly talk about his influence in rock music. Rock music. Not literature. Not the art of writing. But rock music (and Dylan's certainly needs to be called that because just as plain music is quite poor). Dylan may have influenced all popular folk rock artists ever if you want, this award is still a literature one.

-------------

Date Posted: October 15 2016 at 10:55
Nora Ephron once asked Bob Dylan whether he considered himself a poet, by which she meant if he thought his words could "stand without the music." Dylan responded, "They would stand, but I don't read them. I'd rather sing them." Clearly, he's not alone: On Thursday, we learned that Dylan had won the 2016 Nobel Prize in literature, "for having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition." In other words, Dylan won for being a poet who happens to sing.

Date Posted: October 15 2016 at 10:57
i remember being given Dylan song the Hurricane in an English class, ass a piece of litterature to analyze, and also the class saw the movie the Hurricane, the lyrics of Hurricane qualified as litterature for that purpose of being part of a curriculum, but so is Eminem, and Lady Gaga Confused

-------------

Date Posted: October 15 2016 at 11:25
for having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition. Nobody mentioned Latin America.

Date Posted: October 15 2016 at 11:27

for having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition. Nobody mentioned Latin America.

But it has been said he's world wide influential.

That's not accurate

-------------

Date Posted: October 15 2016 at 11:31
I live here and love this country but all that's said outside about Americans believing they're the entire world is kind of true.

-------------

Date Posted: October 15 2016 at 11:33

That's not accurate

Nueva Trova

http://journal.oraltradition.org/files/articles/22i/Rollason.pdf

Date Posted: October 15 2016 at 11:52

That's not accurate

Nueva Trova

Nueva Trova is a very small movement mostly popular in Cuba and left oriented university students.

Silvio Rodriguez (The most notable representative of "La Nueva Trova" said:

"I don't know how much Dylan influenced in me" 

http://www.martinoticias.com/a/bob-dylan-gana-premio-nobel-literatura/131592.html

On the other hand he recognizes Woody Guthrie

BY the way they talk about 5,000 souls concert in Argentina...That's nothing

Well, Argentina is famous for their concerts.

(Two consecutive days in River Plate Stadium)

And we are talking about 70,000 to 150.000 souls

And this is still only a small part of the population

-------------

Date Posted: October 15 2016 at 11:58
You win, lets strip him of the prize.......over and out

Date Posted: October 15 2016 at 11:59

Outside USA, Dylan wasn't influential at all.

Who in Latin America or Spain cares for USA folk?

I don't know if it's fully relevant, but:
http://journal.oraltradition.org/files/articles/22i/Rollason.pdf" rel="nofollow - http://journal.oraltradition.org/files/articles/22i/Rollason.pdf

By the way, in France, Bob Dylan HAD some influence: singer Hugues Aufray always paid tribute to him (not to talk about the success of some songs such as "Like A Rolling Stone" or "Lay, Lady, Lay" that are still played on some radios).

Date Posted: October 15 2016 at 12:24
Americans are definitely very often incredibly americentric.

Date Posted: October 15 2016 at 12:34
So lets shift gears here instead of talking about Dylan lets talk about how wonderful you are. 

Date Posted: October 15 2016 at 12:49
Of course, the Nobel Prize of Literature for a singer is somewhat farfetched, but the comments of Ivan about the lack of influence of Dylan outside America are also a bit surprising.
But it doesn't mean that I endorse what The Dark Elf is saying.

After all, Zappa was more influential than Dylan.

Date Posted: October 15 2016 at 13:15
I'm a fan of Shakespeare and try to read his books in the original language..A work is meaningful fopr me because of it's artistic value not for the language it's written in

I can do red ink too

The best argument for Dylan's Nobel Prize comes from Ralph Waldo Emerson, even though he died a century before Shot of Love. His 1850 essay "Shakespeare; or the Poet," from the book Representative Men, works as a cheat sheet to Dylan. For Emerson, Shakespeare's greatness was to exploit the freedoms of a disreputable format, the theater: "Shakespeare, in common with his comrades, esteemed the mass of old plays, waste stock, in which any experiment could be freely tried. Had the prestige which hedges about a modern tragedy existed, nothing could have been done. The rude warm blood of the living England circulated in the play, as in street-ballads."

This is a key point – Shakespeare was a writer/actor/manager hustling in the commercial theater racket for live crowds. He didn't publish his plays – didn't even keep written copies. Once it was onstage, he was on to the next one. (After his death, his friends had to cobble the First Folio together, mostly from working scripts, hence the deplorable state of his texts.) Low prestige meant constant forward motion. The theater was becoming a national passion, "but not a whit less considerable, because it was cheap." He aimed his poetry at the groundlings: "It must even go into the world's history, that the best poet led an obscure and profane life, using his genius for the public amusement."

Date Posted: October 15 2016 at 13:28
  1. Shakespeare
  2. never won a
  3. Nobel peace
  4. prize though.

Date Posted: October 15 2016 at 13:31
^ture

Date Posted: October 15 2016 at 13:31
But Bob Dylan did.

Date Posted: October 15 2016 at 13:33
In ten years the Nobel in Literature will be given to Eminem. In 20 to a reggaeton performer.

-------------

Date Posted: October 15 2016 at 13:35

In ten years the Nobel in Literature will be given to Eminem. In 20 to a reggaeton performer.

What? A white "rapper" before any black rapper?! This is silly!

Date Posted: October 15 2016 at 13:43
^You're right. But after Dylan's win I can expect anything.

-------------

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: October 15 2016 at 13:58
and lol.

-------------

Date Posted: October 15 2016 at 14:26
>rapper winning the nobel prize for lit
>not DOOM

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: October 15 2016 at 15:43
hahaha....  god I love that man....

no opinion.. could care less.. about him.. or the award...

this is as close as I love getting to Dylan..

but if any song writer deserves it (ummm like 40 years ago haha) he did.

Why now? Perhaps there wasn't really any competition..  consider it a lifetime achievement Nobel award hahah

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Posted By: Quinino
Date Posted: October 15 2016 at 15:48
I fully support any prize being given to a true artist of any kind, and Bob Dylan certainly is a reference on his area (horrendous singer but great lyricist and composer).
Art internet makes our lives more interesting, don't you agree ? (edit: thku micky)

Now, boys, behave yourselves !

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk