Print Page | Close Window

Fish-era Marillion or 80's synth-era Rush?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Polls
Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=109169
Printed Date: November 18 2017 at 04:00
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Fish-era Marillion or 80's synth-era Rush?
Posted By: TexasKing
Subject: Fish-era Marillion or 80's synth-era Rush?
Date Posted: October 22 2016 at 11:08
What are your opinions? 
My choice is definitely Marillion. 

Replies:
Posted By: Forzelius
Date Posted: October 22 2016 at 11:24
Fish and it's not even close

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: October 22 2016 at 12:30
Marillion

-------------

Posted By: The Dark Elf
Date Posted: October 22 2016 at 12:35
Never could stand Marillion, ichthyologically or otherwise.

-------------
And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision.

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: October 22 2016 at 12:50
Marillion

-------------
Raise the dead! Out to the cemetery, come on everybody!

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: October 22 2016 at 12:59
Love rush up through Moving Pictures. The best of Marillion, however, beats the worst of Rush with ease for me.

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Posted By: Pastmaster
Date Posted: October 22 2016 at 15:39
Any Rush is better than any Marillion.

Posted By: Vompatti
Date Posted: October 22 2016 at 16:19
Marillion. However I'd take any Rush over post-Fish Marillion.

-------------
http://nervoushorse.com" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: October 22 2016 at 17:06
Marillion.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: October 22 2016 at 17:34
*poll fail*

Signals is if anything.. better than Moving Pictures..

would have been much more interesting.. ie f**kING PAINFUL..  if you had asked about Marillion against post-Signals Rush.

-------------
I find your lack of Bassoon disturbing.....

Posted By: The Bearded Bard
Date Posted: October 22 2016 at 17:41
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Signals is if anything.. better than Moving Pictures..
Ain't that the truth!

-------------

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: October 22 2016 at 20:49
Marillion for me. Perhaps even if we were talking about whole careers... though I would have to give it more thought to choose in that case.

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: October 23 2016 at 00:17
It's still got to be Rush. Signals, GUP and Power Windows are better than anything Marillion ever recorded IMO.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: October 23 2016 at 00:22
two quite different bands, love both, no vote

Posted By: sukmytoe
Date Posted: October 23 2016 at 02:01
Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

Marillion. However I'd take any Rush over post-Fish Marillion.

Handshake
Have to agree mainly. Marillion with Fish blew my mind - Marillion with Hogarth puts me to sleep barring one or two albums and too much of Hogarth's voice irritates the hell out of me.

Posted By: O666
Date Posted: October 23 2016 at 03:22
Fish era. 

Posted By: Cambus741
Date Posted: October 23 2016 at 04:12
Marillion shade it for me, despite CAS lacking the magic of the first three albums.   The first three albums had an absolute magic to them, as did most of the b sides.  as for Rush, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures and Signals are great albums but everything they have done since has been dull in my opinion apart from Time Stand Still and force Ten.

Posted By: TexasKing
Date Posted: October 23 2016 at 04:55
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

It's still got to be Rush. Signals, GUP and Power Windows are better than anything Marillion ever recorded IMO.

Power Windows cannot compete with Script for a Jester's Tear. In terms of musical quality, it's miles behind. The only song I like from that album is Marathon. A song Big Money absolutely sucks and any song off SfaJT easily kills Big Money. Rush should be ashamed for making such a lame song. And these words come from a big Rush fan. 
Anyway Marillion album-titled track SfaJT is near a musical perfection, while Rush album Power Windows is far from perfection. 

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: October 23 2016 at 05:18
Originally posted by TexasKing TexasKing wrote:

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Power Windows cannot compete with Script for a Jester's Tear. In terms of musical quality, it's miles behind. The only song I like from that album is Marathon. A song Big Money absolutely sucks and any song off SfaJT easily kills Big Money. Rush should be ashamed for making such a lame song. And these words come from a big Rush fan. 
Anyway Marillion album-titled track SfaJT is near a musical perfection, while Rush album Power Windows is far from perfection. 

Script is excellent I agree. Probably their best album. All Fish era albums were good, but as for 'musical quality' it depends how you choose to define 'musical quality' between two groups who actually bear little resemblence. We may as well be comparing Simple Minds with XTC.

It's subjective which band was producing better songs, but in terms of actual musicanship I think Rush still wins, certainly wt regard to Mick Pointers drumming on Script vs Neil Pearts drumming. Mrillion were great musicians generally, but Rush are steller in that respect and reputably so.

I though Big Money was one of their better single tbh.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: October 24 2016 at 03:30
For a moment I thought it was Marillion . whatever that is after Fish left. Some fine work indeed but ... Rush. 4 or 5 albums versus 36 years of Rush.

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: October 24 2016 at 03:46
the thread title says synth era Rush and then the poll says post Moving Pictures - 2 different things.

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: October 24 2016 at 05:13
I really do not see how you can compare the two.

Anyhow, given that we are being asked to, I really like both Signals and GUP, both extremely fine albums. I thought that the quality of Rush music declined from sublime to merely good after that.

Marillion are my favourite band, and each of the first three are exceptional works, whilst the last of the Fish era albums, whilst containing some exceptional tracks, was the sound of a band which needed a rest from both the work and each other.

Anyhow, Marillion for me.

-------------

In Lazland, life is transient. Prog is permanent.

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: October 25 2016 at 09:06
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Never could stand Marillion, ichthyologically or otherwise.
Amen, whatever-logically or otherwise. They did have in their favor Ian Mosley on the sticks, a member of Hackett's touring band in the '80s, but I can't find much else of merit to say about them. Rush had much to recommend them during this "synth-era," so I had to give them the vote here.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon (?) it." - Eno

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: October 25 2016 at 09:08
Marillion with Fish. I am not very fond of post-Signals 80's Rush (though I like Hold Your Fire).

-------------

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: October 25 2016 at 09:31
Rush, Rush and more Rush

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: rushfan4
Date Posted: October 25 2016 at 10:47
Rush.

-------------

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: October 25 2016 at 12:00
Rush fan here and I don't think I've ever heard more than a handful of Marillion songs so no vote for me.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk