Print Page | Close Window

Steven Wilson Insurgentes 2016 remaster

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
Forum Description: Make or seek recommendations and discuss specific prog albums
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=109266
Printed Date: April 25 2024 at 14:48
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Steven Wilson Insurgentes 2016 remaster
Posted By: javajeff
Subject: Steven Wilson Insurgentes 2016 remaster
Date Posted: October 31 2016 at 16:04
Does the 2016 Remaster version sound much different?  Any better?  If anyone has this new remaster, your insight is appreciated.  Thank you!

Replies:
Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: October 31 2016 at 20:46
2016 rem of a 2008 release. lol

-------------

Posted By: zravkapt
Date Posted: October 31 2016 at 21:24
Well, the new version sounds the way he really wanted it to sound.

A friend of mine has a cassette recording of the both of us at age 13 (him on guitar, me on vocals). I've been meaning to send it to Stevie boy so he can make it sound the way we intended it to.

-------------
Magma America Great Make Again

Posted By: Kotro
Date Posted: November 01 2016 at 03:08
The original sounds fine by me.

-------------
Bigger on the inside.

Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: November 01 2016 at 03:33
Has the master of remasters run out of things to remaster so like the ouroboros he is now devouring his own tail?

-------------
What?

Posted By: Pastmaster
Date Posted: November 01 2016 at 11:21
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Has the master of remasters run out of things to remaster so like the ouroboros he is now devouring his own tail?

"Hmmm...I wonder what I can do to make even more money that I don't deserve? I've already exhausted my stealing of famous prog bands's work. I know! I can just remaster my own albums which don't need remastering!"

Posted By: Valen
Date Posted: November 02 2016 at 05:41
Yes - it sounds better. Not as loud and compressed, and a much more enjoyable listen on headphones.

Probably not an essential purchase unless you're a completist.

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: November 02 2016 at 09:24
The 2016 reissue is remastered by SW and he has taken care of the compression issues of the original 2008 issue. The new version is said to have corrections for loudness across the album, giving way to more dynamics in highs and lows meaning quiet and loud parts, rather than just loud all the time.

I have the original 2008 CD as well as the 2009 vinyl version and even with the vinyl there is a much better difference to my ears, I will not get the 2016 CD, cause CDs are krapp Wink.

If you only have the 2008 CD and feel it is brickwalled to your ears then the 2016 reissue should take care of that. At least he did not issue it as a 25 disc package with 5 versions of every song both studio and live and a 50 page hardback book with 4 DVDs and charge you $300......It's a £8.00 CD.

-------------

Posted By: Meltdowner
Date Posted: November 02 2016 at 09:40
I still don't have the album but I'd prefer getting the CD/DVD version, since I have all the following albums on Blu Ray. I bought the boring documentary with the same name by mistake, some months ago, I thought it was the album Thumbs Down

Posted By: Slartibartfast
Date Posted: November 02 2016 at 13:04
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

Well, the new version sounds the way he really wanted it to sound.

You'd think he would have gotten it right the first time.  There's too much good stuff going on in prog for me to get it.

-------------
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Posted By: JediJoker7169
Date Posted: November 02 2016 at 17:14
Originally posted by Valen Valen wrote:

Yes - it sounds better. Not as loud and compressed, and a much more enjoyable listen on headphones.
Precisely.  It's not like the original sounds terrible, but it is fairly squashed:
Quote DR Peak RMS Duration Track
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DR5        0.00 dB    -7.93 dB      5:08 01-CD Track 01
DR5        0.00 dB    -8.74 dB      4:48 02-CD Track 02
DR6        0.00 dB    -8.54 dB      8:18 03-CD Track 03
DR8        0.00 dB   -10.58 dB      5:58 04-CD Track 04
DR6        0.00 dB    -9.91 dB      8:37 05-CD Track 05
DR5        0.00 dB    -8.53 dB      4:32 06-CD Track 06
DR5        0.00 dB    -6.38 dB      4:24 07-CD Track 07
DR7        0.00 dB   -11.81 dB      3:25 08-CD Track 08
DR6        0.00 dB    -9.46 dB      6:17 09-CD Track 09
DR8       -0.10 dB   -12.45 dB      3:55 10-CD Track 10
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Number of tracks:  10
Official DR value: DR6
Compare that to the new master:
DR9       -0.06 dB   -12.14 dB      5:08 01-Harmony Korine
DR8       -0.09 dB   -13.34 dB      4:48 02-Abandoner
DR9       -0.58 dB   -12.55 dB      8:18 03-Salvaging
DR11      -1.33 dB   -15.57 dB      5:58 04-Veneno Para Las Hadas
DR9       -0.06 dB   -13.39 dB      8:37 05-No Twilight Within The Courts Of The Sun
DR9       -0.06 dB   -12.70 dB      4:32 06-Significant Other
DR9       -0.02 dB   -11.59 dB      4:24 07-Only Child
DR11      -0.49 dB   -16.12 dB      3:25 08-Twilight Coda
DR8       -0.02 dB   -12.65 dB      6:17 09-Get All You Deserve
DR11      -0.14 dB   -16.17 dB      4:00 10-Insurgentes

Official DR value: DR9

Date Posted: November 02 2016 at 17:27
My suggestion, for the curious: listen to the new remaster https://open.spotify.com/album/6zgFhMjaVqUrMlSyIAAFZZ" rel="nofollow - on Spotify  and compare it with your 2008 CD/download.  You will need to either turn up the Spotify stream or turn down the old CD/download to make a fair comparison (loudness matching).  If you can't hear a difference or can but don't like it, this new remaster is not for you.  If you can and you like what you hear, it might be worth it to you.  I know it is to me.  You can even buy it as a CD-quality lossless download  https://us.7digital.com/artist/steven-wilson/release/insurgentes-2016-remaster-5532810?f=20%2C19%2C12%2C16%2C17%2C9%2C2" rel="nofollow - here  (and elsewhere, probably at at least one online store available in your country). (Also available as a 24-bit/96kHz download  http://www.hdtracks.com/insurgentes-2016-remaster" rel="nofollow - here .)

Posted By: javajeff
Date Posted: November 03 2016 at 03:28
Steven Wilson Insurgentes on Amazon CD does not state 2016 remaster.  I would really hate to buy the old master.  The copyright year states 2016, but I wish they would be more precise.

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: November 03 2016 at 04:15
I'm waiting for the next year's ultimate limited edition deluxe remixed 350 gram vinyl remaster pressed with 24 carrot gold plated molds that are actually pressed by Steven Wilson himself. Can't wait.

Date Posted: November 03 2016 at 05:38
Originally posted by JediJoker7169 JediJoker7169 wrote:

Originally posted by Valen Valen wrote:

Precisely.  It's not like the original sounds terrible, but it is fairly squashed:
DR5        0.00 dB    -7.93 dB      5:08 01-CD Track 01
DR5        0.00 dB    -8.74 dB      4:48 02-CD Track 02
DR6        0.00 dB    -8.54 dB      8:18 03-CD Track 03
DR8        0.00 dB   -10.58 dB      5:58 04-CD Track 04
DR6        0.00 dB    -9.91 dB      8:37 05-CD Track 05
DR5        0.00 dB    -8.53 dB      4:32 06-CD Track 06
DR5        0.00 dB    -6.38 dB      4:24 07-CD Track 07
DR7        0.00 dB   -11.81 dB      3:25 08-CD Track 08
DR6        0.00 dB    -9.46 dB      6:17 09-CD Track 09
DR8       -0.10 dB   -12.45 dB      3:55 10-CD Track 10

Official DR value: DR6
Compare that to the new master:
DR9       -0.06 dB   -12.14 dB      5:08 01-Harmony Korine
DR8       -0.09 dB   -13.34 dB      4:48 02-Abandoner
DR9       -0.58 dB   -12.55 dB      8:18 03-Salvaging
DR11      -1.33 dB   -15.57 dB      5:58 04-Veneno Para Las Hadas
DR9       -0.06 dB   -13.39 dB      8:37 05-No Twilight Within The Courts Of The Sun
DR9       -0.06 dB   -12.70 dB      4:32 06-Significant Other
DR9       -0.02 dB   -11.59 dB      4:24 07-Only Child
DR11      -0.49 dB   -16.12 dB      3:25 08-Twilight Coda
DR8       -0.02 dB   -12.65 dB      6:17 09-Get All You Deserve
DR11      -0.14 dB   -16.17 dB      4:00 10-Insurgentes

Official DR value: DR9
This is over-hyped pseudo-scientific bollocks. Geek

-------------
What?

Date Posted: November 03 2016 at 09:14
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I'm waiting for the next year's ultimate limited edition deluxe remixed 350 gram vinyl remaster pressed with 24 carrot gold plated molds that are actually pressed by Steven Wilson himself. Can't wait.

I bet if some label would do this for the Fab Four catalog it would sell out in seconds!! The previous 800 reissues of their albums in both mono and stereo would be considered rubbish LOL

-------------

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: November 03 2016 at 10:48

An Hand Cannot Erase remaster before that pleeease.

-------------

Date Posted: November 03 2016 at 17:04

This is over-hyped pseudo-scientific bollocks.
No, it isn't.  I'm an audio engineer with a degree in psychology and I can tell you point-blank that it is not pseudo-science, it is not over-hyped, and it is not bollocks.

Date Posted: November 04 2016 at 09:30
I think there is merit in the DR numbers, I use it as a guide but not a shopping guide. I mean if I want the album I am going to buy it anyway. Since I am 99% LP records I don't suffer from the "loudness wars" or the listener fatigue that can plague digital playback.
I am old enough to know the difference having grown up on LP records, cassette/R2R tape...then comes along digital (CDs, music files) and now heavy back to LP records, for me there is a noticeable difference. I have done it countless times, meaning sit and spin my records all day long into the night 6-7 hours and never feel ear fatigue, headaches or the like.....YMMV.

Looking at the DR database on this particular album it makes sense to me, the 2008 CD version DR6, Vinyl issue DR11, I hear the difference on my system.

What probably needs to be scrutinized is the measuring process of this database, maybe that is what Dean is pointing out....dunno.

-------------

Date Posted: November 04 2016 at 11:07
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I bet if some label would do this for the Fab Four catalog it would sell out in seconds!! The previous 800 reissues of their albums in both mono and stereo would be considered rubbish LOL
Jose, if EMI thought it was a good idea, they would do it in a heartbeat in order to squeeze some more drops out of the Beatles grape.  

Date Posted: November 04 2016 at 20:53

What probably needs to be scrutinized is the measuring process of this database, maybe that is what Dean is pointing out....dunno.

These DR numbers were generated using the Tischmeyer Technology (TT) Dynamic Range Meter offline algorithm, either in its standalone application version or as a plugin for some other piece of software (foobar2000, for instance). Friedemann Tischmeyer, who developed the algorithm and software with Algorithmix, is a mastering engineer and dynamic range advocate. There are now more standardized measures of loudness using the EBU R128 standard, but the TT Meter's readings are highly comparable to the loudness (LU) range reported by software using the R128 algorithm. This is different from the integrated LKFS/LUFS reading, which is a measure of the average loudness (similar to RMS, reported in negative) against the digital limit of 0dBFS (for fixed-point bit-depth). For both DR and LU (any variant), each unit is equivalent to 1dB. Both use perceptual models of human hearing (read: scientifically derived) to determine the loudness we actually experience while listening.

Date Posted: November 05 2016 at 03:00
^I don't believe that one needs a meter to determine loudness and compression. If it's there, most audiophiles will know. How much is irrelevant in my opinion.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Date Posted: November 05 2016 at 03:21

This is over-hyped pseudo-scientific bollocks.
No, it isn't.  I'm an audio engineer with a degree in psychology and I can tell you point-blank that it is not pseudo-science, it is not over-hyped, and it is not bollocks.
Oh! We're playing credentials top trumps Big smile ... okay, my go: I'm an Aries with a clean driving licence, I like cats and going for long walks by the river, my favourite colours are black and purple and I don't like pasta and my drink of choice is tea. I'm sorry I've left all my academic and vocational qualifications in the pocket my lab coat along with my employment record but not wanting to get into bragging contest to see which of us can piss the highest up a wall, I can assure you yours didn't scare me much. And DR numbers are still over-hyped pseudo-scientific bollocks.

These DR numbers were generated using the Tischmeyer Technology (TT) Dynamic Range Meter offline algorithm, either in its standalone application version or as a plugin for some other piece of software (foobar2000, for instance). Friedemann Tischmeyer, who developed the algorithm and software with Algorithmix, is a mastering engineer and dynamic range advocate. There are now more standardized measures of loudness using the EBU R128 standard, but the TT Meter's readings are highly comparable to the loudness (LU) range reported by software using the R128 algorithm. This is different from the integrated LKFS/LUFS reading, which is a measure of the average loudness (similar to RMS, reported in negative) against the digital limit of 0dBFS (for fixed-point bit-depth). For both DR and LU (any variant), each unit is equivalent to 1dB. Both use perceptual models of human hearing (read: scientifically derived) to determine the loudness we actually experience while listening.
I have no issue with the measurement process, (though again, the credentials of the participants fail to impress me, even so-called experts get it wrong), DR numbers are relative measurements and my only real issue with them is they are by that very virtue relatively meaningless and quoting them to 2 d.p. is farcical. Dynamic Range measurement (by whatever method) attempts to normalise the complex non-repetitive, non-cyclic waveforms of music, (that not only differ from track to track and artist to artist but from mix to mix), into an empirically quantifiable single value and then use that as a subjective measure of quality. The algorithms used to calculate this magic number are getting (for want of a more apt word) better and they are far more involved than simply calculating the crest factor (too complex to go into here) of a signal by dividing the peak by the rms (again, too complex to go into here), however they are still attempting to quantify values that are continuously varying through out a piece of music into a single comparative value - the "loudness" (once again, too complex to go into here but "loudness" is not a wholly empirical measurement) of any piece of music continuously changes in time and the DR value is an attempt to "average" (not the actual mean value) that out across the measurement duration time into a measure of goodness.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: November 05 2016 at 04:08
Well, Dean, it sounds to me like you should know better and simply don't want to believe the empirical work done by the audio engineering and broadcast societies the world over. Fortunately, it's still true whether you believe it or not. Integrated loudness and loudness range (which are well-defined in the R128 white paper) has a profound psychological and physiological effect on music listening. Differences in level of one or even one half dB are easily heard by even an untrained ear in a controlled environment. Does a complex musical signal and a different type of difference—one of loudness range rather than sound pressure level—make it more difficult to both detect and study? Yes, of course. Nevertheless, the research is fairly clear that a loudness difference of a couple dB (not at two decimal points; where were you getting that from, the peak values?) will affect human hearing and music listening enjoyment. You can argue that enjoyment is subjective, and I would argue that subjectivity is irrelevant given a large enough sample size.

Date Posted: November 05 2016 at 04:31
I'm a retired tomato farmer that helped to invent a hybrid zucchini.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Date Posted: November 05 2016 at 04:50

Well, Dean, it sounds to me like you should know better and simply don't want to believe the empirical work done by the audio engineering and broadcast societies the world over. Fortunately, it's still true whether you believe it or not. Integrated loudness and loudness range (which are well-defined in the R128 white paper) has a profound psychological and physiological effect on music listening. Differences in level of one or even one half dB are easily heard by even an untrained ear in a controlled environment. Does a complex musical signal and a different type of difference—one of loudness range rather than sound pressure level—make it more difficult to both detect and study? Yes, of course. Nevertheless, the research is fairly clear that a loudness difference of a couple dB (not at two decimal points; where were you getting that from, the peak values?) will affect human hearing and music listening enjoyment. You can argue that enjoyment is subjective, and I would argue that subjectivity is irrelevant given a large enough sample size.
Okay, I made a small joke at your expense but let's not get too personal here, I am permitted to have a difference of opinion that has nothing to do with belief or knowing better and more to do with knowledge and experience. Not every engineer has bought into the "loudness wars" - yes we can tell when something is over-compressed and yes the mastering process will involve some level of compression but creating an empirical measure for that is not quite as simple as it seems and using that as a comparative is fraught with issues and problems. We engineers can produce a wealth of numbers based upon all manner of metrics and these are by definition empirical, it is their use and misuse that determines whether they are meaningful practical tools or meaningless marketing tools and once that threshold has been crossed their empirical value is lost. It's not about the numbers - it is about how it actually sounds to the listener (which is the point Steve rightly made).

While the threshold of human hearing is generally stated at 3dB this is a rounded average so sure, some can discern a couple of dB difference under very controlled conditions but no one can really do much better than that. When I see any dB value (peak, RMS or whatever) expressed to 2 d.p. I reserve the right to regard that with an air of caution. 

-------------
What?

Date Posted: November 06 2016 at 01:25
The peak and RMS numbers are not important to this discussion except in how they are used to calculate the DR number, which, you'll note, is always an integer. LU, on the other hand, are usually measured to two decimal points in the interest of precision. Will a human hear a loudness difference of 0.01 or even 0.09 LU? No, but no one is or was or has been arguing that. But a loudness difference of 1-5 dB? You betcha.

However, if a track has a sample peak value approaching 0dBFS, then it's quite possible that track may have intersample peaks which will clip, causing distortion on playback. So, in that way, a peak value of -0.01dBFS is a useful piece of information in the form of a red flag. Will a human hear a difference between peak values varying by less than a few dB? No. But will a human hear distortion caused by intersample peaks above 0dBFS? Absolutely.

Date Posted: November 06 2016 at 01:28
Unfortunately, modern mastering practices have lead to many CDs having intersample peak clips, often with noticeable distortion. I do believe the peak meter used in the DR software is true peak aware, because it will report "over" on occasion (though not specifically by how much). And how would it be able to report anything other than a sample peak of 0dBFS otherwise?

I'm aware peak values have no bearing on dynamic range (which is operationalized here as peak-to-loudness ratio or crest factor, in a sense) except as I alluded to in my previous post.

Date Posted: November 06 2016 at 01:49

However, if a track has a sample peak value approaching 0dBFS, then it's quite possible that track may have intersample peaks which will clip, causing distortion on playback. So, in that way, a peak value of -0.01dB is a useful piece of information in the form of a red flag. Will a human hear a difference between peak values varying by less than a few dB? No. But will a human hear distortion caused by intersample peaks above 0dBFS? Absolutely.
Therein lies the problem with sampling and putting all one's trust in metering, but peak clipping has nothing to do with dynamic range as such. If the signal clips at any time and it is audibly noticeable then that is the the fault of the engineer (who frankly should stop calling himself an engineer because he's obviously nothing more than a bloody technician if he clips the waveform and fails to notice it).

-------------
What?

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk