Posted By: phonewind
Subject: First Prog Album
Date Posted: November 01 2016 at 10:05
Moving Waves by Focus changed my life.

Replies:
Posted By: Dean
Date Posted: November 01 2016 at 10:24
Ah, oi see. Your first Prog album. 

No worries, the Search function on the forum is a bit of a pig, so allow me: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=106240" rel="nofollow - www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=106240  

Originally posted by Dean, <span style=: rgb248, 248, 252; font-size: 11px;>30 March 2016</span><span style=: rgb248, 248, 252; font-size: 11px;> </span> Dean, 30 March 2016  wrote:

The first album I ever bought was Move by The Move (the band maybe proto-prog but that album ain't) when I was 12 - it cost me 5 shillings in 1969 because it didn't have a cover. [Back in the day record stores would only put the covers in the bins and kept the discs themselves behind the counter to stop nefarious folk helping themselves to a five-finger discount, but some still pilfered the covers leaving the store with a few coverless albums to sell].

The next was two years later (coz we wuz poor and buying albums was an extravagance we couldn't afford): Every Good Boy Deserves Favour by The Moody Blues and I'm calling that Prog Rock even if it is a bit Prog-lite.

Soon after that I got a Saturday job in Woolworths and with the wages burning a hole in my pocket I quickly expanded my horizons. The first full-blown honest to goodness Prog album I bought was either The Least We Can Do Is Wave To Each Other by Van der Graaf Generator or Elegy by The Nice. Ownership of those two albums granted me access to the "cool kids" clique at school and that's where I was first exposed to the delights of Pink Floyd and became an unrepentant Floyd-fanboy.

However... because they were cheap and contained some excellent music I bought quite a few label samplers (Nice Enough to Eat, Bumpers, Age of Atlantic, Rockbusters and the Dandelion Sampler EP) and several budget albums back then (notably Phallus Dei by Amon Duul II, Camembert Electrique by Gong and of course Relics by Pink Floyd).

/edit:

¹ I soon tired of the school "cool kids" clique because I found them to be oddly narrow-minded and somewhat overly judgemental. Most of them were older than me and were heavily into American music that didn't appeal to me a great deal but mostly I struggled with their perception of what was cool and what was not. While through associating them I got to hear weird stuff like Zappa, Tonto's Expanding Head Band and White Noise liking Led Zeppelin or Uriah Heep was frowned upon (both were considered to be 'sell-outs' and only good for teenie-boppers), yet Sabbath and Purple were okay. The crunch came when they deemed previously acceptable Tyrannosaurus Rex albums to be unacceptable because of T Rex. If that was what it took to be cool I was happy to be uncool in their eyes because I'd much rather listen to Hot Love than Hot Rats.

² Even back in the 70s physically buying albums was not a young person's first exposure to good music. Rather than YouToob and illicit file-sharing we had late-night radio (John Peel's Top Gear etc.), The Old Grey Whistle Test on the telly and of course playground album swapping. The first time I heard Tangerine Dream was on the radio, several years prior to them signing to Virgin. Before the Compact Cassette became affordable (and therefore popular) we had ¼" reel-to-reel tape recorders and needless to say, many of the albums I'd borrowed from the school "cool kids" clique... 

³ Compilation albums are not regarded particularly well on this site, which in the modern Now That's What I Call... climate is understandable. But back then they were a good way to hear music that you wouldn't otherwise hear. Prime among these were Label Samplers that showcased all the artists signed to a particular label, many of the albums I subsequently purchased were first heard on these samplers.

-------------
What?

Posted By: WeepingElf
Date Posted: November 01 2016 at 10:46
More interesting than the OP's question "What was your first prog album?" is the question "Which album was the first on the market to be considered prog?". I have no good answer on that question. It is not easy to say when prog started. Some people say In the Court of the Crimson King was the first full-fledged prog album, but there certainly were albums that can be considered prog before, such as Days of Future Passed by the Moody Blues. Even Sgt. Pepper's ... has some degree of progginess.

-------------
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

Posted By: timothy leary
Date Posted: November 01 2016 at 11:03
^ here we go

Posted By: Larkstongue41
Date Posted: November 01 2016 at 11:34
I had already listened to the whole Pink Floyd catalogue and Si on Avait Besoin d'une Cinquieme Saison, but I consider In The Court of the Crimson King to be my first prog album ever. It's when I got this one that my musical interests exponentially started to grow, that I discovered prog rock and that I listened to music the way I do it now. You see, I had been a hip-hop fan most of my life so I had a somewhat different approach to music when I listened to, say, Pink Floyd at the time compared to the approach I now have since Court. Just like OP said, this album literally changed my life.

-------------
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."

Posted By: DeadSouls
Date Posted: November 01 2016 at 11:36
In the Court of the Crimson King.

Date Posted: November 01 2016 at 11:55
^ someone didn't read the OP Wink
Originally posted by timothy leary timothy leary wrote:

^ here we go

...and why not, not everyone here was present the last twelvety ten times this came up...

Originally posted by WeepingElf WeepingElf wrote:

More interesting¹ than the OP's question "What was your first prog album?" is the question "Which album was the first on the market to be considered prog?". I have no good answer on that question. It is not easy to say when prog started. Some people say In the Court of the Crimson King was the first full-fledged prog album, but there certainly were albums that can be considered prog before, such as Days of Future Passed by the Moody Blues. Even Sgt. Pepper's ... has some degree of progginess.

Here you go: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=69508" rel="nofollow - www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=69508 - there are 600 post in that thread discussing that very subject² and lo et behold it is still open so feel free to chip-in with your tuppenny-worth of never-seen that-before wisdom. (Note: other "what was the 1st Prog album" threads are available).

¹ In the interests of public safety I should warn people that neither topic is quite as interesting as you may be lead to believe, the reality bite is arguments over which album was the first get tiresome really quickly and while it is fun to say what your first Prog album was, reading about other people's isn't as riviting as reading, say "The C Programming Language" by Kernighan and Ritchie, or the list of ingredients on the back of tin of Plumrose chopped ham with pork.

² While it is factually accurate that the thread contains 600 posts, not all of them are strictly "on topic", quite a few misread the title and posted their first Prog album and there is a hilarious bit in the middle where a befuddled numpty got extremely confused about how forums work, oh how we laughed.

-------------
What?

Date Posted: November 01 2016 at 12:03
I think that I opened up a can of worms.

Date Posted: November 01 2016 at 12:15
Originally posted by phonewind phonewind wrote:

Nah, it's not your fault David, we can be like this at times. Grumpy old men shouting at the neighbour's kids running across the lawn.

However, if you edit your first post in this thread and change the title to "Your First Prog Album" that would save 50% of the confusion. Wink

-------------
What?

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: November 01 2016 at 12:25

Can of Worms?? I think that was my first prog album. No wait, it was ELP's debut. Never mind.

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Posted By: Kingsnake
Date Posted: November 01 2016 at 13:22
Days of Future Passed.

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: November 01 2016 at 14:00
I'm 65 years old. Damned if I can remember. I heard the debut KC at a friends house right after buying Abbey Road by the Beatles. Perhaps Abby Road then. It's second side is prog to me.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Date Posted: November 01 2016 at 14:17
Originally posted by Kingsnake Kingsnake wrote:

Days of Future Passed.

..so DoFP was the first Prog album you heard and/or bought? I'm impressed, most people start somewhere in the middle of a genre and then pick earlier albums at random.

-------------
What?

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: November 01 2016 at 14:25
Relics - Pink Floyd

-------------

Posted By: doompaul
Date Posted: November 01 2016 at 14:45
I'm pretty sure it was Aqualung.

Posted By: Thatfabulousalien
Date Posted: November 01 2016 at 14:51
Atom Heart Mother, first album I ever brought

-------------
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325

Date Posted: November 01 2016 at 15:09
I've been reading down the threads. I think it might have been Thick As A Brick without even knowing it was freaking prog. Back in the days of vinyl. My dad would say turn that goddamned noise down.

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: November 01 2016 at 15:13
Afficher limage dorigine

Posted By: crimson_smoog
Date Posted: November 01 2016 at 15:15
Not really Prog, but introduced me to the genre, "Yes - 90125".
It was, more or less, in 2011 (14 years old). By the way, "Owner of a Lonely Heart" is played so much in the Brazilian rock radio that i listen, so...
Even though, only in 2013 i began to dig Prog Rock and i don't remember the first prog album. Probably it was some from Rush or Yes. But the first album that i worshipped is "Rush - 2112".

-------------
"The fate of all mankind i see. Is in the hands of fools."

Posted By: Kingsnake
Date Posted: November 01 2016 at 15:30
My first albums were:

Saga - Behaviour / Heads or Tales
Moody Blues - This is the Moody Blues
Queen - Miracle / Greatest Hits
Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick
Camel - Mirage
Barclay James Harvest - Octoberon / Turn of the Tide
Alphaville - the Breathtaking Blue

Can't remember wich was my actual first. I was 12 or 13 when I got into buying records. I immediately bought progrock, because I wanted to rebel against the top40, others listened to.
Saga was and still is the most important band to me.

I think it was Queen or Phil Collins that I really first listened to before I was 12.
Guess Greatest Hits by Queen was one of the albums my aunt gave me when I was 10 or so. Together with Hawkwind and Black Sabbath. But I wasn't really ready for that.

Posted By: DeadSouls
Date Posted: November 01 2016 at 15:51
I grew up listening to "classic rock" bands when I didn't realize that I was listening to Progressive music or sub-genres of it (Pink Floyd, Queen, Jethro Tull, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, etc.) until I started learning about music genres, so officially my first Prog album was 'In the Court of Crimson King' and then, 'Selling England by the Pound'.

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: November 01 2016 at 15:53

Moving Waves by Focus changed my life.

The first I heard was Stand Up, which my father had bought on the strength of Bourée... But I don't think he liked the rest much

I was six and loved the pop-op inside the gatefold and the mlazing front cover artwork, on top of loving the music inside it

However, my first album (bought at 11 with my newspaper delivery of The Toronto Star) was Crime Of The Century, bought the second day it was released in Canada (Sept 74 is my guess). My school was next to a pretty good record shop (Records on Wheel in Mississauga) and I saw the long-haired dude putting it in the window stand... i thought that cover was awesome, and the next day, I had enough money on me to take it home... Next was Harmonium's debut album, which hit all french-speaking students all over Canada like a storm.

I still have both vinyls (as w<ell as my dad Stand Up).

Before buying those two albums, I only really knew of The Beatles, The Stones and Jethro Tull well only the first two albums) in terms of rock... COTC really  floored me... I was only learning my English: I learned the language on that and Sgt Pepper. And I thought every song was written about me ... Hell, I thought they'd mispelled my name Rudy was really Hugy

Of course COTC lead me to buy DSOTM, SEBTP (didn't like that one much at first), ITLOG&P, ITCOTCK, TAAB within the next year or so

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: November 01 2016 at 15:54
The first prog album I heard was Aqualung, and the first I owned was Stand Up.

Posted By: akaBona
Date Posted: November 01 2016 at 16:50
First prog song that hit me so powerfully it changed my life was South Side Of The Sky. After that nothing was same anymore.
My answer is Fragile.

Posted By: maryes
Date Posted: November 01 2016 at 17:27
My first audition of progressive rock album, has been "sponsored" by my older cousin and I really don't remember nor the name of band and minus of album. 
But, I remember which this cousin lent me 4 albuns  ( due to my interest ) : 

YES - The Yes Album 
E L& PALMER- Tarkus 
RENAISSANCE - Prologue 
GENTLE GIANT - Acquiring the Taste 

...and after this I'm one  addict 

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: November 01 2016 at 18:11
Tubular Bells followed by Equinoxe

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Posted By: Atavachron
Date Posted: November 01 2016 at 18:14
first heard, Tark,  First bought, Hem.

-------------
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy

Posted By: Mystic Mamba
Date Posted: November 01 2016 at 18:17
Well, I was listening to TSO and Kate Bush long before I knew what prog rock was. So, I guess my first "proper" prog album was Yes' 'Close to the Edge'. I still remember hearing that flawless title track for the very first time. It changed my life, and I've never looked back since!

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: November 01 2016 at 19:45
Heard: Floyd

Bought: Tales from Topographic Oceans

and probably the worst place to start.

-------------

Posted By: Larkstongue41
Date Posted: November 01 2016 at 20:14
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Next was Harmonium's debut album, which hit all french-speaking students all over Canada like a storm.
Where are you from exactly? I'm from Quebec city and Harmonium's debut was also one of the first "prog" albums I listened to. Much more enjoyable when you know about the place; I assume it must be the same for the time, but unfortunately I haven't experienced that Wink.

-------------
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."

Posted By: EddieRUKiddingVarese
Date Posted: November 01 2016 at 21:08
Chunga's Revenge

-------------
"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: November 01 2016 at 22:18
I was 12 years old when I first heard ITCOTCK in 1969, and I was immediately grabbed by the sound of Mellotron.  

So much for the Monkees!!  

It's been a fantastic voyage, thanks to everyone on PA for sailing along with me.  Cheers, Charles.

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: November 01 2016 at 23:39
First I heard were Aqualung and Deep Purple's Made in Japan.  If we can include proto-prog, the first album I bought, ever, was Burn again by Deep Purple.  The first true Prog album I bought was Yessongs.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: iluvmarillion
Date Posted: November 02 2016 at 00:50
After listening to Beatles songs on the radio growing up, the first album I bought was Strange Days by The Doors. I just assumed all the other Doors albums were like Strange Days. None of the other Doors albums affected me as much as Strange Days, so I soon lost interest with them and looked for another band i could listen to. That's when I discovered The Yes Album and a whole new world opened up for me. A friend got me into Genesis and it was about the same time that DSOTM was hitting the radio waves.

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: November 02 2016 at 02:47
I am not certain what my first prog album was. I was born Dec 1968 in Oakland, CA. my parents were hippies and listened to all kinds of stuff they called "music to get high to", which was everything from psychedelic, prog, hard rock, ethnic music and the likes.

some of my early memories include Uriah Heep's "Salisbury", the debut album of Gentle Giant, "Nursery Cryme" by Genesis, "In-a-Gadda-da-Vida" by Iron Butterfly, "Warrior on the Edge of Time" by Hawkwind, "Monster Movie" by Can, and "Join Inn" by Ash Ra Tempel

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Date Posted: November 02 2016 at 04:16
I wore that one out a few times. !st live Genesis album.

Date Posted: November 02 2016 at 04:18
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

I was 12 years old when I first heard ITCOTCK in 1969, and I was immediately grabbed by the sound of Mellotron.  

Wow. A progger from the cradle! (Well, almost. Wink) I was more shocked by ItCotKC when I first heard it and only liked some parts of it. It was not until a few later that I really "got" what the album was about. I believe it was after I got into Fragile by Yes that my prog ears were fully opened.

Date Posted: November 02 2016 at 04:23

It's been a fantastic voyage, thanks to everyone on PA for sailing along with me.  Cheers, Charles.

When I first heard In The Court Of The Crimson King I thought I was in a different universe.

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: November 02 2016 at 04:29
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Wow. A progger from the cradle! (Well, almost. Wink) I was more shocked by ItCotKC when I first heard it and only liked some parts of it. It was not until a few later that I really "got" what the album was about. I believe it was after I got into Fragile by Yes that my prog ears were fully opened.

I definitely was a progger from the cradle due to my parents

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Date Posted: November 02 2016 at 04:41
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I definitely was a progger from the cradle due to my parents
I bought Guru Guru UFO at a second hand shop for 2 dollars and I still have the crazy thing. It still blows my mind.

Date Posted: November 02 2016 at 05:14

We're the same age and I was also in high school when ItCotCK came out, I certainly remember hearing 21st Century Schizoid Man but not much else even though I would have undoubtedly heard the whole album at the time. Then, I've never been grabbed by Mellotron in quite the same way as the sound of a guitar or synth would rip out my brain through my ears, kick it around the floor for 5 minutes and stuff it back in again.

On the other hand my kid sister owned The Birds, The Bees and The Monkees and (Daydream Believer aside) there are some nice baroque and psych pop touches and incidental instrumentation on that album that first got me listening to the music rather than the lyric in a pop song. While I consider The Moody Blues to the be the "gateway" artist to Prog back then, it was bands like The Monkees and The Move that pointed me in right direction.

-------------
What?

Posted By: Evolver
Date Posted: November 02 2016 at 05:27
My first prog album: Moody Blues: In Search of the Lost Chord

-------------
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.

Date Posted: November 02 2016 at 05:54
He was right. He must have all of those clowns clear the rom in an instant.

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: November 02 2016 at 06:08
Does Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds count??

If not then The Wall by Floyd. Blew my effing mind! Marillion, Rush, Genesis, Yes et al followed soon after. I thank Floyd for getting me into prog rock.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: November 02 2016 at 07:37
First for me Relics. Or Yesterdays. Maybe a Heep album.

First prog probably is The Nice or Procol Harum.

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: November 02 2016 at 08:05
Trilogy - Emerson, Lake and Palmer (unless you consider the Beatles progressive)

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Date Posted: November 02 2016 at 09:50
The Beatles might have been prog. Bach was definitely prog. Chopin was prog so was my mother. She taught me how to play the piano. First song I learned was Smoke On The Water. Da Da Da   Da Da Da. Da Da. Dad Da Dada  DA DA! in the the slack key of G major. But then that's not prog. Has to be in F major for level of difficulty.

Date Posted: November 02 2016 at 10:05
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Trilogy - Emerson, Lake and Palmer (unless you consider the Beatles progressive)
Like I said, Abbey Road is prog to me (partly), but what came before from the Fabs is psych. IMHO.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: altaeria
Date Posted: November 02 2016 at 11:28
The first actual Symphonic Prog album was THE NICE - ARS LONGA VITA BREVIS  
released in 1968 (before In the Court of the Crimson King).  
Side 2 in particular essentially sounds like an Emerson Lake & Palmer demo recording. 

I think the first Symphonic Prog album that I ever listened to 
(or paid any attention to) was YESSONGS. 

Date Posted: November 02 2016 at 15:00
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

We're the same age and I was also in high school when ItCotCK came out, I certainly remember hearing 21st Century Schizoid Man but not much else even though I would have undoubtedly heard the whole album at the time. Then, I've never been grabbed by Mellotron in quite the same way as the sound of a guitar or synth would rip out my brain through my ears, kick it around the floor for 5 minutes and stuff it back in again.

I also get a visceral reaction with guitars and synths, but the Mellotron's icy tones definitely have a place in some prog songs. New World by Strawbs comes to mind as does In The Wake Of Poseidon by KC. Strangely enough, I think that the instrument is played out in many Moody Blues' songs. A bit too much when proper orchestral accompaniment would have better served the songs. Mike Pinder is a Mellotron master, but he's a decent piano player too. Just too much Tron for me, I suppose, in Moody songs.

Posted By: dwill123
Date Posted: November 02 2016 at 15:18

Posted By: AlanB
Date Posted: November 02 2016 at 15:19
The first one I bought was Wishbone Ash - Argus - which I consider to be a prog album even though the rest of their work isn't really prog.

Early prog albums for me also included Tubular Bells, The Yes Album and Dark Side Of The Moon.

I also remember someone at school giving a talk on progressive rock (which I'd never heard of before then) and playing extracts from Deep Purple's Concerto For Group And Orchestra.

Posted By: Kespuzzuo
Date Posted: November 02 2016 at 15:31
The very first prog album I ever listened to was probably DSoTM, and the second prog album I listened to was Duke by Genesis. My first Genesis album was Invisible Touch (Which doesn't count as a prog album for me). My first Yes album was Close to the Edge. My first King Crimson album was their debut album. My first neo-prog album was Script for a jester's tear, my first Prog Metal album was DT's debut album, and my first new-prog album was Muse's Showbiz.

Posted By: A_Flower
Date Posted: November 02 2016 at 16:15
When I was about 6 years old, I started playing a computer game, Sid Meiner's Civilization III. I played it both because it was fun and because I loved the music, which looking back, was actually very progressive sounding. Eventually, I downloaded the music onto a disk and listened about everyday. I did the same with many other computer game soundtracks. I guess you could say these were sort of my first prog albums because they appealed to my senses so much. If you're talking actual prog rock, then probably a best of Pink Floyd complication when I was 13. This was including Echoes. That song really got to me and thus began a search for progressive music.

-------------
User Banned for this Post

Posted By: BrufordFreak
Date Posted: November 02 2016 at 19:45
First heard Days of Future Passed in 1970--a boy I was assigned to babysit took me on a tour of his house, upon which we stumbled onto the "hippie den" bedroom of his 17-year old sister in the dark basement--muslin sheets for walls, bed on the floor, black lights and lava lamps, and The Moodys playing. It was mind-blowing and unsettling at the same time (she was quite a beautiful girl, too!) 

Before that I was inundated with all-things Fab Four-ish by my Beatle-maniac mother. She stopped buying Beatles albums after Magical Mystery Tour, but I spent hours and hours with that album and Sgt. Peppers in the late Sixties.

First bought Demons and Wizards in 1972, aged 14.

-------------
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: November 02 2016 at 20:53
Most are stating prog rock.....My first prog album purchase was probably Funkadelic Maggot Brain, I was a huge funk/R&B fan before prog rock, that music got me into prog rock. Parliament/Funkadelic, EW&F, Sly that music and some of their longer jam songs was a good setup for prog rock from Yes, Floyd, Can.

That's what I remember today :)

-------------

Posted By: BunBun
Date Posted: November 02 2016 at 21:59
Genesis - Invisible Touch. It certainly isn't the proggiest album out there but songs like Domino; Tonight, Tonight, Tonight; and the Brazilian got me interested in the group and I haven't looked back since LOL

My first true prog record that clicked with me was Genesis - A Trick of the Tail. It remains a fav to this day

Posted By: Andis
Date Posted: November 03 2016 at 01:26
First album was Marillions Fugazi at a friends house, he played the first song, Assassins, wich had a keyboardsolo that got me interested. Then followed all the Marillion albums, Yes, Pink floyd etc...

But my musical journey really started a couple years later when I was introduced to the italians... I never forget when I heard the first minutes of Museo rosenbach's masterpiece at a local shop in Stockholm. My life changed forever.

-------------
"Be yourself. The world worships the original." - Ingrid Bergman

Posted By: Mascodagama
Date Posted: November 03 2016 at 02:04
Queen II, but they aren't classified here as prog, so probably doesn't count.

Fly High, Fall Far by Pendragon, but it's an EP, so probably doesn't count.

The Wake by IQ, then.

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: November 03 2016 at 12:57
I honestly don't know for certain...but it was probably one of the very early Moody Blues albums in '67 or '68.....so I'll say Days of Future Passed, and as it happens I will be seeing the Moodies tonight Nov 3 in Merrillville Indiana (haven't seen them for over 40 years) not far from where I live. Sadly Thomas and Pinder no longer play with them but I hope it will be a good show....
Cool

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: miamiscot
Date Posted: November 03 2016 at 16:05
Chicago II or A Question Of Balance. I forget.

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: November 04 2016 at 19:12
The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway for me. I was 8 y.o. A friend bought it. We listened to it. It was strange. It remains now my favorite album of all time.

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Posted By: Horizons
Date Posted: November 04 2016 at 19:31
Im going to say Permanent Waves by Rush. I grabbed that along with Hemispheres and Moving Pictures in a single day. But it was the song Limelight that got me into the band and the song Natural Science that got me in the genre. 

-------------
Crushed like a rose in the riverflow.

Posted By: Scorpius
Date Posted: November 07 2016 at 13:12
I would have to say it was Pink Floyds The Wall. My dad bought it for me to introduce me to the genre and it's been my favorite album ever since.

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: November 07 2016 at 15:36
Not sure. Possibly "Fragile." The first album I heard that I knew was progressive rock was possibly King Crimson's "islands" which was the first album I heard by them(and it almost turned me off the band permanently).

Posted By: HosiannaMantra
Date Posted: November 07 2016 at 16:23
East of Eden - "Mercator Projected" Yes, I know it's unusual...

Posted By: astrowhiz
Date Posted: November 08 2016 at 16:34
My dad and uncle were really into prog so I always had access to their LP's to listen to.
When I got a tape deck though I went and bought Trespass, Foxtrot, Nursery Cryme and Selling England by the Pound on tape at Woolworths.

-------------
https://bandcamp.com/astrowhiz" rel="nofollow - https://bandcamp.com/astrowhiz

Posted By: CaP
Date Posted: November 09 2016 at 06:18
My first step into prog was Misplaced Childhood

-------------
E per tutti il dolore degli altri è un dolore a metà

Posted By: RamessesZombie
Date Posted: November 10 2016 at 07:17
Dream Theater,SFAM..it blew me away,being a metalhead for about my entire life,i first listened to it in 2000,became instantly captivated by the prog sound...of course that was just the beggining of my love for prog music in general.

Posted By: Enchlore
Date Posted: November 10 2016 at 16:40
We Can't Dance by Genesis. Not very proggy but it has songs like Driving the Last Spike and Fading Lights. I picked it from my father's collection and upon listening I was slightly intimidated by the length of the longer songs. After that I looked for The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway and started to immerse myself in the genre.

-------------
If you like King Crimson, come over to the KC Discord server! https://discord.gg/6AYBxBD

Posted By: SquonkHunter
Date Posted: November 10 2016 at 18:30
I listened to a lot of Prog on the radio way back then (early 1970s) but the first Prog album I actually bought was The Yes Album.The hook was set and I've been a Prog fan ever since.

-------------
"You never had the things you thought you should have had and you'll not get them now..."

Posted By: Terrapin Station
Date Posted: November 11 2016 at 05:07
Someone recently asked for "Your first 6 prog albums" too. (They asked with a connotation of the first 6 that we bought/that we personally owned.) 

This was my answer from that thread:

It's hard for me to say for a couple different reasons:

(1) Albums were shared among my family, and not just my parents and siblings, but a couple aunts and uncles and a grandfather, too (well, although that grandfather didn't collect rock, but still...).  I also had music teachers who were regularly giving me albums to take home and listen to for extended periods of time.  Add to this that I was a music fan going as far back as I can remember--and I started taking music lessons when I was only six years old--and it's difficult for me to remember who owned what and when (when because albums that music teachers let me borrow, for example, I gave back but then often bought it for myself at that point).

(2) I don't consider there to be any sort of clear distinction between psychedelic music and prog, and I think that stuff like the Grateful Dead, later Beatles, Amboy Dukes from at least the second album on, etc. are clearly prog.  This aspect is exacerbated by the fact that we were buying all of this music when it came out--I was six years old/I started taking drum lessons in 1968.

Re the stuff that would non-controversially be considered prog, though, I knew all of the following when they were new: the Nice albums, Zappa from We're Only in It for the Money (I heard the earlier albums by 1969/1970), Jethro Tull pretty much from the start, ELP from their start, and I knew the first three King Crimson albums and Genesis' Trespass by early 1971, the first three Yes albums by mid-1971.

Posted By: zwordser
Date Posted: November 11 2016 at 10:37
Well, if Cargo by Men At Work doesn't count (as my very first cassette/album; though it does have some proggish elements), then there were three: 2112 and Moving Pictures  (introduced to me by friends--I had a recorded cassette with both on each side), and Yes,s 90125, right around the same time (82-3).

I had no idea about "Progressive Rock" at the time-- don't think I had even heard the term.

-------------
Z

Posted By: RockHound
Date Posted: November 13 2016 at 07:32
The first album I owned was Tommy. Things snowballed quickly from there.

Posted By: sukmytoe
Date Posted: November 13 2016 at 09:52
One of my first (I can't really remember what the first one was) was Woyaya by Osibisa. Loved those rhythms.

Posted By: Finnforest
Date Posted: November 13 2016 at 10:16
^
That is such a cool album, think I had a poster of the cover back in the dayLOL

-------------

Posted By: Team Cluster
Date Posted: November 15 2016 at 14:08
First Prog album was Going For The One
(unless Magical Mystery Tour counts, had that early on)

Posted By: Argo2112
Date Posted: July 07 2017 at 13:40
The first albums that turned me on to prog belonged to my brother.
The two that come to mind are The Yes Album & Renaissance Live at Carnegie Hall.

Date Posted: July 07 2017 at 13:52
Days of Future Passed by the Moody Blues. It's still the best.

Posted By: Luqueasaur
Date Posted: July 08 2017 at 15:35
Well, the first prog album I ever listened to was Image & Words by Dream Theater, even though I hadn't knowledge it was "prog metal" - just some fancy metal with keyboards and amazing solos. I still think of it fondly.

The first prog album I listened to with full consciousness that was prog was Genesis' Selling England by the Pound, and I absolutely fell in love with it. Well, I guess I began my rampage with the golden specimens. One of prog metal's finest record and one of prog rock's greatest, respectively.

The first prog album I BOUGHT and possess, though, is Close to the Edge - only 12 bucks and it's imported, what a gamble. The first prog album I bought and never listened to, though, is my second - Per un Amico. I'm really enjoying it.

Posted By: Jzrk
Date Posted: October 14 2017 at 22:10
Machine Head Deep Purple although not strictly Prog
Or if not then Tarkus by ELP
That was my start on the Prog

Posted By: essexboyinwales
Date Posted: October 18 2017 at 13:26
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Does Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds count??

If not then The Wall by Floyd. Blew my effing mind! Marillion, Rush, Genesis, Yes et al followed soon after. I thank Floyd for getting me into prog rock.

Skipping through this thread, I found this post that could have been made by me!!  WOTW was definitely the first prog album I heard, when my aunt and uncle decided to scare me and my sister witless when we stayed with them in '78 (I was 7)

It was The Wall after that, in comp (that's high school to many of you)

Then Rush, IQ, some Yes and eventually Marillion, early H-era. 

Finally, in about 2001, my sister got me The Platinum Collection by Genesis, and I realised what prog really was, and that I needed a hell of a lot more of it...Clap

Posted By: thosava
Date Posted: October 19 2017 at 12:55
The Wall by Pink Floyd. I was only into metal from birth to my teenage years, but I started listening to Pink Floyd at around 13 years old with that album. I'm 22 now and prog has taken over my lifeLOL.

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: October 19 2017 at 15:42
For me the first one I bought was maybe Fragile by Yes which I bought in the summer of 1984. Soon after that I heard KC's islands and also relayer. Then Sellling England and like with the rest of us the dominoes had begun to fall. ;)

Posted By: AtomicCrimsonRush
Date Posted: November 05 2017 at 05:51
It was vinyl and would have be a toss up between Jethro Tull Aqualung or an early Pink Floyd. Buy Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds perhaps was the first.

-------------

Posted By: grantman
Date Posted: November 05 2017 at 06:52
tormato yes

Posted By: Squonk19
Date Posted: November 05 2017 at 23:54
Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd; Pictures at an Exhibition - ELP; Nursery Cryme - Genesis; The Yes Album - Yes. In order I think, with Made in Japan - Deep Purple. You had to choose well in those days when you only got £1 pocket money a week to visit the record shop! I got Electric Warrior - T Rex one Christmas and Sladest - Slade the next year I think - as my pop/glam rock crossovers too.

-------------
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”

Posted By: The Sheltering Sky
Date Posted: November 09 2017 at 01:22
It was The Wall . 

-------------
New generation of Prog listeners .

Posted By: The Jester
Date Posted: December 30 2017 at 13:42
I can't remember which came first and which second etc, but from the age of 14 up to 16, these are some of the albums I bought/listened, which I loved, without having the slightest idea what is Prog...
Pink Floyd: Wish You Were Here
Pink Floyd: The Dark Side of the Moon
Eloy: Power and Passion
Eloy: Dawn
Barclay James Harvest: Octoberon
Barclay James Harvest: And Other Short Stories

-------------
If anybody wants please visit: http://www.gfreedomathina.blogspot.com/

This is my Blog mostly about Rock music, but also a few other things as well.

You are most welcome!

Thank you. :)

Posted By: Mortte
Date Posted: December 30 2017 at 13:44
First I´ve heard was Yes Relayer, but didn´t understand it much because I was four years old. First that hit me when I was 11 was Dark Side Of the Moon.

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: December 30 2017 at 14:08
When I was young, as all good tales begin, there was a cassette of Dark Side Of The Moon which was flogged to death in our household. It came with us on every camping trip, and everyone loved it. I did not understand, nor could I have thought it was Prog-Rock (I was around 7 years old). My sis loved ELO, so they were spun often. But, I believe my first true Prog album was Atom Heart Mother (which I got as a gift for my 14th Birthday). Then my Father bought me a cheap Bass guitar. The rest is history.

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: December 30 2017 at 14:14
Originally posted by thosava thosava wrote:

The Wall by Pink Floyd. I was only into metal from birth to my teenage years, but I started listening to Pink Floyd at around 13 years old with that album. I'm 22 now and prog has taken over my lifeLOL.
I’m 45 now, and Metal is taking over my life

Posted By: Frenetic Zetetic
Date Posted: December 30 2017 at 17:28
Probably something from DEATH or GORGUTS.

-------------

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk