Print Page | Close Window

Susanne Sundfør appreciation thread

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
Forum Description: Discuss specific prog bands and their members or a specific sub-genre
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=109277
Printed Date: April 20 2024 at 08:57
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Susanne Sundfør appreciation thread
Posted By: Kingsnake
Subject: Susanne Sundfør appreciation thread
Date Posted: November 02 2016 at 03:46
Up and coming artist Susanne Sundfør is steadily and slowly gaining succes and recognition around the world.

Starting out as singer/songwriter with pop/folk tendencies, she now has a huge band and huge sound.
She is on Progarchives, and she should be!

To me, she's the new Joni Michell or Kate Bush.
Superb. Here's a great solo-performance of her on the Rhodes piano, played stripped down versions of some of her more recent songs.

Replies:
Posted By: chopper
Date Posted: November 02 2016 at 04:23
Mildly obsessed with this lady at the moment (thanks to Kingsnake). She has a wonderful voice that can hit the high notes without a problem and has written some astonishingly beautiful songs.
My favourites so far are "White Foxes", "It's All Gone Tomorrow" and "Darlings".

Date Posted: November 02 2016 at 04:23

Date Posted: November 02 2016 at 04:27

Here's a full concert at Øya Festival, last year. She was a bit ill and apparently there someting amiss with the monitors at the start of the concert, because a few notes were not in tune.

Date Posted: November 02 2016 at 04:28
^^ I'm totally in love with this woman. She's a goddess on earth....

Date Posted: November 02 2016 at 04:41
I don't see her as the new Kate Bush or Joni Mitchell though (and I don't think she likes the comparison either). I don't like the way any female artist who is slightly off the Kylie/Britney/Taylor path is seen as being "the new Kate Bush". There are some similarities and I do see her and Natasha Khan as being way ahead of most other female solo artists at the moment.

Date Posted: November 02 2016 at 04:43
Of course she's not the new Kate Bush. She's a person/artist on her own.
It's even rude to say that, also sexist. And I'm not like that.

I said it, because I want to trigger others to give her a chance.

Date Posted: November 02 2016 at 04:48
Just listening to the debut album at the moment. She made a quite stunning progress from there to "The Brothel".

Date Posted: November 02 2016 at 04:56
Her voice is instantly recognizable, but the music is quite simple and rather standard pop/folk.
She really understood, that she wouldn't be conquering the world following that road.

The trilogy Brother/Silicone Veil/Ten Love Songs is indeed a more electric/eclectic affair.

The instrumental/ambient A Night at Salle Pleyel is also a totally different piece of cake.

I wonder what she comes with next. She worked with Röyksopp, Kleerup and M83, maybe she'll do some triphop next, but I think she'll continu with the road she's taken.

Or maybe, like Natasha, she will make a more intimate album, next.
Susanne did release a new single recently, let's see if I can find it.

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: November 02 2016 at 06:07
I would not really describe her as up-and--coming- as she is quite established with 4-5 albums, soundtrack to movies and a multy norwegian grammy award winner, so far from up-and-comming

-------------

Date Posted: November 02 2016 at 06:13
She has 16 to 20 votes on this album on her albums. And nobody I know, knows of her.
The Norwegians surely knows who she is, because she was a contender to the Norwegian Songfestival thingy.

I call her up-and-coming, because I would think it would be great if her singles broke through the top40, and she would do a worldtour. I would really want that for her.

Apart for critizing my original post, what do you think of her and her music?

Date Posted: November 02 2016 at 06:30
Originally posted by Kingsnake Kingsnake wrote:

Susanne did release a new single recently, let's see if I can find it.

This one?

Date Posted: November 02 2016 at 06:32
^Yes I found it on YouTube. But the uploader has nothing to do with Susanne, so I didn't want to post it.

Susanne offered it as a download. So I have the song on my Phone. It's a great song.

Date Posted: November 02 2016 at 06:34
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

I would not really describe her as up-and--coming- as she is quite established with 4-5 albums, soundtrack to movies and a multy norwegian grammy award winner, so far from up-and-comming

She's obviously well-known in Norway but not outside. Oblivion is one of my favourite films and I have the DVD, yet I wasn't aware that she sung on the soundtrack.

Date Posted: November 02 2016 at 06:42
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

She's obviously well-known in Norway but not outside. Oblivion is one of my favourite films and I have the DVD, yet I wasn't aware that she sung on the soundtrack.

I didn't know she did soundtracks. What kind of movie is Oblivion?

Date Posted: November 02 2016 at 07:27

It's a Tom Cruise and Morgan Freeman sci-fi movie. I like it despite the suspect plot and ending.
She's on a track over the end credits with M83.

Date Posted: November 02 2016 at 08:35

It's a Tom Cruise and Morgan Freeman sci-fi movie. I like it despite the suspect plot and ending.

End credits LOL
No need to see the movie then.
No just kidding. I like sci-fi....

Date Posted: November 02 2016 at 08:56

End credits LOL
No need to see the movie then.
No just kidding. I like sci-fi....

It's worth a look. It has a Led Zeppelin song in it as well, featuring a goof if you know which track on the album it is.

Date Posted: November 02 2016 at 09:13

^^ I'm totally in love with this woman. She's a goddess on earth....

So, what are your 3 favourite Susanne songs then?

Date Posted: November 02 2016 at 09:24
- The Silicone Veil: i love the build-up and her singing in the endsection
- White Foxes: again the build-up, but lots and lots of vocal hooks. Also my spiritanimal is a fox. Go figure ;)
- Rome: this song has so many twists and turns. Also a great outtro.
- Memorial: a great progressive epic with a wonderful middle part. I can really dream away on this one.
- The Brothel: a superb track with again a great outtro

What Susanne does, is build and build and build until a great climax, but she doesn't quit at the climax and often has very interesting outtros
I can't even remember if any of her songs have a fade-out. I don't think so. That's what makes her music so great.

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: November 02 2016 at 10:21

- Memorial: a great progressive epic with a wonderful middle part. I can really dream away on this one.
From the intimate concert in your opening post: before she starts singing it, she says its a brand new song she finished earlier that same morning so she had bring a text sheet. 

-even more intimate. Her songs and her voice shines in any kind of arrangement or context.  A true artist:

-------------

Posted By: Icarium
Date Posted: November 02 2016 at 10:38
You might enjoy her work with Røyksopp

-------------

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: November 02 2016 at 22:24
I know very little from her, but she does intrigue me. I know that Oblivion track with M83, and it's... well, something tells me it could be better, but I when I hear it I can't help but love it... it's got such a melancolic character to it. And then I roughly heard he 10 love songs album on Youtube... there were many nice moments, but I didn't really feel the urge to go and get it. However, I did love the song "Accelerate"; perhaps the most obvious choice for a progger should be "Memorial", but I sort of lost patience with it, the vocal part was very beautiful, but the instrumental orchestral part sort of bored me (still beautiful, though). I guess at some point I will want to check out her previous albums, she does seem to me to be one of the more interesting artists these days, but I still would have to know more from her.

Date Posted: November 03 2016 at 02:28
^ Ten Love Songs is the least of the trilogy.

Many regard The Silicone Veil as better.
But the best thing (imo) is to start with The Brothel and then The Silcone Veil and then Ten Love Songs.

Date Posted: November 03 2016 at 02:29
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

From the intimate concert in your opening post: before she starts singing it, she says its a brand new song she finished earlier that same morning so she had bring a text sheet. 

-even more intimate. Her songs and her voice shines in any kind of arrangement or context.  A true artist:

Thanks for the video.
Yes she as a Renaissance-woman. She can make anything beautiful.

Have you seen/heard her rendition of Master of War?

Date Posted: November 03 2016 at 03:16
^Yep. It was between Masters of War or this one, and went with the "home recording" - that also had the fewest viewers.

- btw: while pretty enough I'm not too keen on that latest single release posted earlier. Hope that its more of a one-off "breather" in between more ambitious stuff. 

-------------

Date Posted: November 03 2016 at 04:48
You gotta love someone who can write a lyric like this -

"If I wanted to jump out of a window
I'd probably change my mind between the eight and seventh floor"

Date Posted: November 03 2016 at 04:49

^ Ten Love Songs is the least of the trilogy.

Many regard The Silicone Veil as better.
But the best thing (imo) is to start with The Brothel and then The Silicone Veil and then Ten Love Songs.

I'd agree with that.

Date Posted: November 03 2016 at 06:37
Her lyrics are so deep and philosphical, and also biting and condemning.
Some lyrics take a while to sink in. But a lyric like like 'Please Go Slowly' is apparently is about abuse. She sings to the abuser to go slow so she can fully experience the feeling. It gives me a chill down my spine.

Also The Brothel is about prostetution and all its horros, and she ends the song with:

'There are echoes in the garden is anybody listening
There are echoes lost in the garden is anybody listening
They whisper:
The ones who are only living are the ones who are only dying '

Her lyrics are pure poetry. I can't honestly think of any modern artist who's on this level of lyric-writing.

Date Posted: December 03 2016 at 03:00
An acoustic piano version of The Silicone Veil and a beautiful heartfelt interview.

Date Posted: December 03 2016 at 03:19

Date Posted: December 03 2016 at 03:25

Date Posted: December 03 2016 at 03:28

Posted By: Kotro
Date Posted: December 04 2016 at 01:51
Being a strong proponent for her inclusion and having written her bio for PA, I'm naturally on board with this topic. Big smile

I love it when it's just her on the Fender Rhodes. I wish she recorded another album like Take One with stripped-out versions of songs from the last three albums.

What about A Night at Salle Pleyel, no opinions on that?

-------------
Bigger on the inside.

Date Posted: December 05 2016 at 01:32
Originally posted by Kotro Kotro wrote:

I love it when it's just her on the Fender Rhodes. I wish she recorded another album like Take One with stripped-out versions of songs from the last three albums.

I love it to. But also when she plays grand piano or any other acoustic piano.
Do you know / have you heard Kontorkonsert med Susanne Sundfør?
( http://www.mic.no/nmi.nsf/micdoc/art2011042813581575454795" rel="nofollow - http://www.mic.no/nmi.nsf/micdoc/art2011042813581575454795  )

What about A Night at Salle Pleyel, no opinions on that?

I love that album. It's more or less and ambient album. I love synths very much, so that album is really up my creek. I have a digital version at home.

Date Posted: December 05 2016 at 06:02

I love this song, good version with just the piano as well.

Date Posted: December 05 2016 at 06:05
^ She's so charming and beautiful. I love how she can go wild on synthpop/dance and be intimate and fragile. I feel so much love for her.

Date Posted: June 07 2017 at 06:18
Susanne has just announced a new album (released in August) and a new single (Undercover) out now.

http:////susannesundfor.com/" rel="nofollow - http:////susannesundfor.com/

Already got for my tickets for The Union Chapel in October.

Posted By: Thatfabulousalien
Date Posted: June 07 2017 at 06:25
I almost fainted when I saw she had a thread here, OMG!!!!!!

I'm a huge fan of her's, my favorite "pop" singer. Magnificent avantgarde songwriting, all kinds of subversion's of lyrical themes and just complete unpredictability. 

I'm still amazed there's a thread here, I'm so happy! :)))

-------------
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: June 07 2017 at 08:08
Confused Susanne who? Now I feel old.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Date Posted: June 08 2017 at 02:49
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Many congratulations, sir. You are now entitled to experience a pleasure long denied to the rest of us - the pleasure of getting to hear Susanne for the very first time. Lucky b*****d. Big smile

-------------
Bigger on the inside.

Posted By: Thatfabulousalien
Date Posted: June 08 2017 at 03:07
When I first heard her, I couldn't believe what I was hearing, she is living proof of what pop music is capable of! (which is extraordinary things!!!)

-------------
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325

Date Posted: June 08 2017 at 04:51

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Many congratulations, sir. You are now entitled to experience a pleasure long denied to the rest of us - the pleasure of getting to hear Susanne for the very first time. Lucky b*****d. Big smile
Indeed, she is a fairly new discovery for me but you are in for a treat.

Date Posted: September 07 2017 at 04:02
Tomorrow her new album will be released.

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=55691" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=55691

Date Posted: September 07 2017 at 09:52
I've heard a couple of tracks, they sound really good. I've ordered the CD and it should be delivered tomorrow. Yay.

Date Posted: September 08 2017 at 01:43
Listening to it now.
It's much more folk and acoustic than ever.

The trio of albums Brothel/Silicone Veil/Ten Love Songs were really eclectic and electric.
New album is a return to the roots of Susanne. She started out as a piano-playing singer-songwriter.
I like the heavy side of Susanne but also the soft side, so this album feels as a welcome suprise, for the cold and rainy days coming.

18 september I see her play in Amsterdam. Can't wait.

Date Posted: September 08 2017 at 01:55
I'm listening to it now oh my god The Sound of War... instant shivers and tears. No one Believes in Love Anymore... such beauty -The Golden Age/Mountaineers... cathartic 

-quite the opposite album of Ten Love Songs. So quiet, introverted and well... comforting. The record company will probably be disappointed in regards to album sales - or maybe not. I would have chosen the B-side of This Boots Ae Made For Walking as the A-side, so what do I know. I was expecting to be a little disappointed myself actually but this is another artistic triumph from something as rare as a genuine artist working within popular music. The mood somehow reminds me of Linda Perhacs - Parallograms (that actual song, but also to some extent the whole album) although Susanne is more pompous and grand - which I mean in a descriptive way and not as something negative at all.

In short and after one listen: album of the year (not that I've heard that many others but it still rings true).

-------------

Date Posted: September 08 2017 at 02:03
The great thin about Susanne is, that she knows when to tread different paths.
If she would have made another grande electroprogpop album, maybe we would have been dissapointed.

Now she chose for something completely different. An album wich grows and grows with every listen.
And the vocals are much more upfront.

I agree that The Sound of War is already the stand-out track.

Date Posted: September 08 2017 at 11:41

I'm listening to it now oh my god The Sound of War... instant shivers and tears. No one Believes in Love Anymore... such beauty -The Golden Age/Mountaineers... cathartic 

-quite the opposite album of Ten Love Songs. So quiet, introverted and well... comforting. The record company will probably be disappointed in regards to album sales - or maybe not. I would have chosen the B-side of This Boots Ae Made For Walking as the A-side, so what do I know. I was expecting to be a little disappointed myself actually but this is another artistic triumph from something as rare as a genuine artist working within popular music. The mood somehow reminds me of Linda Perhacs - Parallograms (that actual song, but also to some extent the whole album) although Susanne is more pompous and grand - which I mean in a descriptive way and not as something negative at all.

In short and after one listen: album of the year (not that I've heard that many others but it still rings true).

Brilliantly summed up, it's a bit of a change of direction, mainly acoustic guitars and piano, kind of chilled out, reminds me of Kate Bush's Fifty Words For Snow. Just wonderful, can't wait to see her at the Union Chapel next month.

Date Posted: September 09 2017 at 17:00
Still waiting for my copy. Cry

-------------
Bigger on the inside.

Date Posted: September 15 2017 at 04:31

Brilliantly summed up, it's a bit of a change of direction, mainly acoustic guitars and piano, kind of chilled out, reminds me of Kate Bush's Fifty Words For Snow. Just wonderful, can't wait to see her at the Union Chapel next month.
Thank you! If you haven't seen her live before you certainly got something to look forward too (and obviously if you have as well). I mean that voice... there's nothing quite like it. 

-------------

Date Posted: September 15 2017 at 04:36
Monday I will see Susanne perform in the Vondel Church in Amsterdam.
SO excited!

Date Posted: October 03 2017 at 05:17
I saw her last night. Apart from a few issues with the venue/soundcheck which left us standing outside for an hour and then she came out 10 minutes late which meant she had to cut a song off the set list as the Chapel have a strict 10:30 curfew, it was a wonderful, intimate gig. Mainly Susanne on the piano, sometimes with another lady on keyboards and backing vocals. She played most of the new album, sensational vocals!

Oh, and not a good idea to have an upright piano placed on stage so that a third of the audience couldn't see her behind it!

Posted By: Quinino
Date Posted: October 03 2017 at 07:33
Thanks guys - I didn't know her and now I'm completely conquered by this gal

Date Posted: October 03 2017 at 09:14
Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

Thanks guys - I didn't know her and now I'm completely conquered by this gal
That's the way it goes, it happened to me as well.

Date Posted: October 03 2017 at 10:22
When she played in Amsterdam, she played all songs by herself; acoustic guitar, grand piano and Fender Rhodes.

Date Posted: October 04 2017 at 02:40

When she played in Amsterdam, she played all songs by herself; acoustic guitar, grand piano and Fender Rhodes.
The lady playing with her on Monday was Megan Kovacs, who is credited on the new album.

Date Posted: October 04 2017 at 02:55
She's a member of a duo called Bow To Each Other.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk