Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=109483
Printed Date: May 04 2024 at 23:18
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Mother Russia On Ice
Posted By: Meltdowner
Subject: Mother Russia On Ice
Date Posted: November 22 2016 at 11:37
Probably my favourite from each album and they have similar ratings... and titles obviously.

Replies:
Posted By: tboyd1802
Date Posted: November 22 2016 at 11:50
Like both a lot. When for PT, well because I just saw SW in concert...

-------------
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: November 22 2016 at 12:07
I sit in the bar sipping iced White Russian

Oh wait...

-------------

Posted By: Pastmaster
Date Posted: November 22 2016 at 13:07
Russia On Ice, from one of the best Alternative Rock albums ever made.

Posted By: digdug
Date Posted: November 22 2016 at 13:25
love Russia On Ice

-------------
Prog On!

Posted By: Wanorak
Date Posted: November 22 2016 at 14:38
Like both, but I will give the edge to PT.

-------------
A GREAT YEAR FOR PROG!!!

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: November 22 2016 at 17:51
Both are great; Renaissance it is today.

Posted By: Upbeat Tango Monday
Date Posted: November 22 2016 at 18:19
Renaissance

-------------
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: November 22 2016 at 20:33
Renaissance.

Posted By: Dellinger
Date Posted: November 22 2016 at 21:04
I really love both, but I must give the edge to Mother Russia. Haslam is just something else.

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: November 22 2016 at 23:24
Ice

-------------

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: November 22 2016 at 23:43
.......can't stop myself drinking...........

Posted By: Saperlipopette!
Date Posted: November 23 2016 at 02:21
Mother Russia crushes the lightbulb by a lightyear. That Porcupine Tree song - which isn't awful by any means reminds me why I stopped giving Opeth-albums any more chances (I never was the biggest fan but used to be mildly interested enough to have attended a couple of concerts and owning a handful of albums that I never spin). 

-------------

Posted By: Cristi
Date Posted: November 23 2016 at 05:05
what about Iron Maiden's Mother Russia? Evil Smile

I haven't listened to these two songs in a while, I need to listen to them again and then vote.

Posted By: O666
Date Posted: November 23 2016 at 09:43
Renaissance 

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: November 23 2016 at 10:07
PT

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Date Posted: November 25 2016 at 07:31
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

I sit in the bar sipping iced White Russian

Oh wait...

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

what about Iron Maiden's Mother Russia? Evil Smile

I haven't listened to these two songs in a while, I need to listen to them again and then vote.
Seems like another good poll although I'm quite sure Marillion would win it Tongue

It's nice to see Renaissance ahead Thumbs Up

Posted By: octopus-4
Date Posted: November 25 2016 at 14:26
Renaissance with np doubts

-------------
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com

Posted By: akaBona
Date Posted: November 25 2016 at 15:19
Renaissance

Posted By: kenethlevine
Date Posted: November 25 2016 at 21:38
Renaissance but of course

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: November 26 2016 at 05:21
Not among my absolute favourites of either band.  Mother Russia is kind of too straight up with nothing much happening in the interlude that's interesting.  But I'd still take it over Russia on Ice where the change from 7:30 or so ruins it for me. And even otherwise, I haven't generally been too fond of PT's longer tracks (or for that matter, the longer ones on Wilson's solo albums).  I think he writes better in the 5-7 minute format. 

Date Posted: November 26 2016 at 08:24
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Not among my absolute favourites of either band.  Mother Russia is kind of too straight up with nothing much happening in the interlude that's interesting.  But I'd still take it over Russia on Ice where the change from 7:30 or so ruins it for me. And even otherwise, I haven't generally been too fond of PT's longer tracks (or for that matter, the longer ones on Wilson's solo albums).  I think he writes better in the 5-7 minute format. 

That interlude in Mother Russia is what made me a Renaissance fan, absolutely spine tingling Tongue

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: November 26 2016 at 09:23
I don't seem to like too many of their interludes to be honest. Ashes are burning, Things I don't understand, Trip to the fair, touching once, Day of the dreamer and SFAS - these are the ones I really like. Rest I can either do without or just find to be a drag (Can you hear me, but Golden Key is the worst).

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: November 26 2016 at 10:38
PT it is. I could never quite muster Annie's vocals so the nod to Russia On Ice was easy...does also help that the tune in question is remarkably good. I blame Chris Maitland's outstanding drumming. That ending climax duet-ting with Steven's guitar is just beautiful.
You people can keep your Renaissance to yourselfDead

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: November 26 2016 at 11:33
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

That interlude in Mother Russia is what made me a Renaissance fan, absolutely spine tingling Tongue
Hell yeah !!

Posted By: fudgenuts64
Date Posted: November 27 2016 at 05:15
Renaissance but surprisingly I really like Russia on Ice, it's been one of my favorite tracks by them.

-------------

Date Posted: November 28 2016 at 10:52

And even otherwise, I haven't generally been too fond of PT's longer tracks (or for that matter, the longer ones on Wilson's solo albums).  I think he writes better in the 5-7 minute format. 
Wilson has the habit of "destroying" longer songs on purpose, the ending of "Watchmaker" comes to mind. I quite like this one, Maitland leaves PT with style. I also think it would be a much epic ending than "Feel So Low", I find it so boring.

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

PT it is. I could never quite muster Annie's vocals so the nod to Russia On Ice was easy...does also help that the tune in question is remarkably good. I blame Chris Maitland's outstanding drumming. That ending climax duet-ting with Steven's guitar is just beautiful.
You people can keep your Renaissance to yourselfDead
Come on, everyone loves Annie Tongue Here's a good Renaissance song for you, she's nowhere near the mic:

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: November 28 2016 at 11:05
Thanks dude - I'll have a listenLOL

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Date Posted: November 29 2016 at 13:36
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Thanks dude - I'll have a listenLOL

Kindness is actually one of my favorite Renaissance songs.  The lyrics, melody and emotion always drain me.  Most fans dismiss it or just think it's ok.  I actually think some of Jim McCarty's later work is influenced by this Camp song, as I guess Camp was influenced by McCarty and early Renaissance.

It's also one of the few Renaissance studio tracks with TRON!

Posted By: Rednight
Date Posted: December 01 2016 at 09:17
This thread sounds like an Ice Capades spectacular.

-------------
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk