Forum Description: Discuss and create polls about all types of music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=109646
Printed Date: April 28 2024 at 04:43
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Strangely similar songs
Posted By: Larkstongue41
Subject: Strangely similar songs
Date Posted: December 11 2016 at 12:15
Ever noticed the similarity between King Crimson's chapman stick on the song "Elephant Talk" (Discipline) and Claypool's bass on "Jerry was a Race Car Driver" (Sailing the Seas of Cheese)? 

Also, the resemblance between the guitar part of "The Big Sky" by Kate Bush (Hounds of Love) about 2:10 onwards and Genesis' opening guitar riff on "Land of Confusion" really struck me this morning.

Any other example of similar sounding song parts that make you wonder if an artist "copied" another?

-------------
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."

Replies:
Posted By: Magnum Vaeltaja
Date Posted: December 11 2016 at 13:28
The chord progression from Pink Floyd's Time sounds very similar to George Harrison's Hear Me Lord. I don't really think that there's any real plagiarism afoot, though; while it's not as ubiquitous as the I-V-vi-IV or the 12-bar, it wouldn't surprise me that they came up with them independently.

-------------
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents

Posted By: mechanicalflattery
Date Posted: December 11 2016 at 14:17

About 1:10 in sounds like the main theme of...

That's the best one I have off the top of my head. I'm pretty sure there's a part of that album that feels like Focus as well, I'll have to look for it. 

Pink Floyd's A Saucerful of Secrets has like half a dozen segments that sound reminiscent to other artists (Tangerine Dream especially, also Nektar and Van Der Graaf Generator). SBB's Memento Z Banalym Triptykiem has a brief composition that sort of sounds like a bit of Camel's The Snow Goose. I could list examples from neo-prog, but we'd be here all day (does Pendragon even have a reason to exist?). 

Posted By: WeepingElf
Date Posted: December 11 2016 at 14:18
Is it just me, or is Soundgarden's Black Hole Sun reminiscent of Pink Floyd's Fat Old Sun?

-------------
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

Date Posted: December 11 2016 at 14:23
Wow, I never noticed the similarity between "Smog Alado" and "E Festa". Nice one Thumbs Up.

-------------
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."

Posted By: Luna
Date Posted: December 11 2016 at 16:23
I always thought the basslines in these songs were incredibly similar 

-------------
https://aprilmaymarch.bandcamp.com/track/the-badger" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: BaldJean
Date Posted: December 11 2016 at 16:55
"Astral Traveller" by Yes and "Can-Utility and the Coastliners" by Genesis are very similar:

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Date Posted: December 11 2016 at 16:59
Originally posted by mechanicalflattery mechanicalflattery wrote:

That's the best one I have off the top of my head. I'm pretty sure there's a part of that album that feels like Focus as well, I'll have to look for it. 

Pink Floyd's A Saucerful of Secrets has like half a dozen segments that sound reminiscent to other artists (Tangerine Dream especially, also Nektar and Van Der Graaf Generator). SBB's Memento Z Banalym Triptykiem has a brief composition that sort of sounds like a bit of Camel's The Snow Goose. I could list examples from neo-prog, but we'd be here all day (does Pendragon even have a reason to exist?). 

Great one with Bacamarte and PFM. In turn, both of them also sound very similar to this:

-------------
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents

Date Posted: December 11 2016 at 17:28
I've been wondering for some time if the first part of Im Schatten De Mohre (great album by the way) by Hirsche Nicht Aufs Sofa samples King Crimson's Prelude: Song of the Gulls. Might as well ask someone here. Not that any of you are familiar with this album, but it sounds too close to me to not be a direct sample.

The KC track isn't on Youtube as far as I can tell, so check your own version (I'm sure Magnum knows it by heart)

Possible sample starts around 2:00

Date Posted: December 11 2016 at 18:03

I've been wondering for some time if the first part of Im Schatten De Mohre (great album by the way) by Hirsche Nicht Aufs Sofa samples King Crimson's Prelude: Song of the Gulls. Might as well ask someone here. Not that any of you are familiar with this album, but it sounds too close to me to not be a direct sample.

The KC track isn't on Youtube as far as I can tell, so check your own version (I'm sure Magnum knows it by heart)

the album title is "Im Schatten der Möhre" which means "In the Shade of the Carrot"

-------------

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta

Date Posted: December 11 2016 at 18:22

Has my admiration and infatuation with Song of The Gulls finally amounted to some sort of practical importance? Could it really be? Embarrassed

Hmmm, hard to tell for sure because it sits so low in the mix. I can definitely hear the pizzicato waltz figure that runs through the background of Song of the Gulls, but I don't hear any of the violin/viola/cello/whatever melody that plays over top of it. In the original King Crimson recording (which is the only recording, as the Steven Wilson remaster doesn't include any alternate takes), there aren't any bars where the pizzicato figure plays alone. However, there are about 2 bars ~3 minutes in where the other strings are quiet enough that if you were to sample it, I'm sure you could easily remove them with some digital trickery. 

So I can't say for certain that Hirsche Nicht Aufs Sofa sampled King Crimson, but the backing track that they use is definitely the same three note figure as Song of The Gulls, and it wouldn't be impossible for them to sample it.

-------------

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: December 13 2016 at 05:46
Jethro Tull's "We Used To Know" has the same scale as "Hotel CAlifornia " by the Eagles. Also, all the songs in Horslips' album "Exiles" are quite similar to Tull's songs, specially from the "Living In The Past" album.

Posted By: AreYouHuman
Date Posted: December 13 2016 at 21:52

Chicago’s Wishing You Were Here uses the same chord sequence as How-Hi-the-Li by Family.

And has anyone else thought there was a resemblance between the refrain in Genesis’s The Fountain of Salmacis and the chorus of I Want to Hold Your Hand by the Beatles?

-------------
Caption: We tend to take ourselves a little too seriously.

Silly human race! Yes is for everybody!

Date Posted: December 13 2016 at 22:05
Originally posted by AreYouHuman AreYouHuman wrote:

And has anyone else thought there was a resemblance between the refrain in Genesis’s The Fountain of Salmacis and the chorus of I Want to Hold Your Hand by the Beatles?

As soon as I read this I spat out my drink and went to re-read it. Then I thought "what's this guy on?!?". Then I actually sang through each one in my head and now my life will never be the same. LOL Great one!

-------------

Posted By: BaldFriede
Date Posted: December 13 2016 at 22:26
Hawkwind's "Assault and Battery" and Roxy Music's "In Every Dreamhome a Heartache". Same chord progression.

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Date Posted: December 14 2016 at 22:19
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

As soon as I read this I spat out my drink and went to re-read it. Then I thought "what's this guy on?!?". Then I actually sang through each one in my head and now my life will never be the same. LOL Great one!

Thanks, Magnum, you about made my day!  Glad I could rock your world!

Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Hawkwind's "Assault and Battery" and Roxy Music's "In Every Dreamhome a Heartache". Same chord progression.

That’s another one I noticed long ago, and probably would have included it in my last post but I was in a hurry.

While I’m not a musician, I’ve always found myself taking notice of similar chord sequences and melodic lines, most of which can be attributed to coincidence, but others are obvious ripoffs, i.e. the ones all over Fireballet’s first album.  I’ll have to put together a full list one of these days.

How about this one…Focus borrowing a melodic line for Focus III from Don’t Sleep in the Subway by Petula Clark.

-------------

Posted By: Thatfabulousalien
Date Posted: December 14 2016 at 22:27
Originally posted by WeepingElf WeepingElf wrote:

Is it just me, or is Soundgarden's Black Hole Sun reminiscent of Pink Floyd's Fat Old Sun?

Yes me too, that's quite eerie actually Confused

-------------
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325

Posted By: BarryGlibb
Date Posted: December 15 2016 at 00:35
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Jethro Tull's "We Used To Know" has the same scale as "Hotel CAlifornia " by the Eagles. Also, all the songs in Horslips' album "Exiles" are quite similar to Tull's songs, specially from the "Living In The Past" album.

Hi Manuel......you mean "Aliens" not "Exiles"..."Exiles" is an instrumental off "Aliens". As far as I my ears tell me (for the last 40 years), there is only one tract that is similar to any Tull track on Aliens and that track is "Second Avenue"....the melody is a direct rip off of "Teacher". In the official Horslips' biography "Tall Tales" it is stated..."If 'Second Avenue' sounds a little like the riff from Jethro Tull's 'Teacher', it's pure co-incidence. Maybe it was a subliminal tribute.".......

On Aliens, "New York Wakes" and "Sure The Boy Was Green" has Anderson-like flute playing (à la Thijs van Leer) but Tull never ever made songs like (or even to match IMHO) these. These 2 tracks are based on the Irish jigs 'The Fox Hunter's Jig" and "Morrison's Jig" respectively.

So as far as I am concerned most tracks on Aliens sound like Horslips...with one track ripping off Tull's Teacher....and the flute playing on 2 occasions, well yes, they are Anderson-like as far as the flute playing is concerned but the songs themselves are nothing like anything Tull ever recorded IMHO.

Date Posted: December 15 2016 at 21:37

One that 1980s DJs pointed out on-air:  Day after Day by Badfinger and Breaking Us in Two by Joe Jackson.

Open Doors, the opening track on SFF’s album “Ticket to Everywhere”, borrowed the distinctive piano riff from the Doors’ Riders on the Storm.

-------------

Date Posted: December 15 2016 at 23:03
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

"Astral Traveller" by Yes and "Can-Utility and the Coastliners" by Genesis are very similar:

for those who don't hear the similarity between these two songs: listen to 2:12-3:20 and 4:09-4:30 in the Genesis song; it will all become clear then. same riff as "Astral Traveller" in the first mentioned part and very similar keyboard solo in the second

-------------

Date Posted: December 16 2016 at 10:48
The main melody from Starless is reworked from the Bolero section of Lizard. Listen to the oboe lines around 5:20-6:00 in Lizard and you should hear what I mean.

-------------

Date Posted: December 16 2016 at 12:25
From the first time I heard it, 0:38 (it shows up elsewhere in the song) of Memento Z Banalnym Tryptykiem...

sounded like a composition from The Snow Goose. Particularly the last nine seconds of Fritha, but it may show up elsewhere. Not sure if I'm mad or there's actually a similarity.

Date Posted: December 16 2016 at 12:40
^ Nope, I totally hear it. That SBB melody is about as Camel-esque as they come.

-------------

Date Posted: December 16 2016 at 20:51

I haven’t seen the Allman Brothers/Camel connection come up too often, but the former clearly influenced the latter’s early material.  Play In Memory of Elizabeth Reed back-to-back with Lady Fantasy if you don’t believe me.

The central piano riff in A Christmas Camel by Procol Harum was almost certainly inspired by the one in Ballad of a Thin Man by Bob Dylan.

The chord sequence in Hawkwind’s Wind of Change has gotten a lot of use, such as in Runaway by Del Shannon.

-------------

Date Posted: December 16 2016 at 21:37

I haven’t seen the Allman Brother/Camel connection come up too often, but the former clearly influenced the latter’s early material.  Play In Memory of Elizabeth Reed back-to-back with Lady Fantasy if you don’t believe me.

Oh man, our stars must be aligned or something (figuratively, of course; I don't actually believe in astrology). I've been thinking that Andrew Latimer must have been a huge Allman Brothers fan for the longest time! Thumbs Up

You can definitely hear similarities between a lot of early Camel material and Liz Reed. Six Ate and Curiosity really spring to my mind, with the light jazzy feel that all of them share in the melodies and soloing department. Another one that's always stood out to me is the 4/4 symphonic section in live versions of Whipping Post. It sounds just like something that would have been thrown on Mirage.

-------------

Posted By: stegor
Date Posted: December 16 2016 at 22:31
Whenever I hear Troller Tanz I can't help singing "We fight, and fight, and fight fight fight fight fight..."

Posted By: AFlowerKingCrimson
Date Posted: December 20 2016 at 09:13
There is some really obscure song from the mid seventies by an artist from either Spain or South America who had a song that had a part that sounded pretty much identical to part of the song "Life's been good" by Joe Walsh(the "my maserati does 185 I lost my license now I don't drive" and the other parts that sound like it).  I really can't remember who the Spanish singing artist or group is but it's pretty obscure. 

Date Posted: December 20 2016 at 19:42
Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

I haven’t seen the Allman Brother/Camel connection come up too often, but the former clearly influenced the latter’s early material.  Play In Memory of Elizabeth Reed back-to-back with Lady Fantasy if you don’t believe me.

Oh man, our stars must be aligned or something (figuratively, of course; I don't actually believe in astrology). I've been thinking that Andrew Latimer must have been a huge Allman Brothers fan for the longest time! Thumbs Up

You can definitely hear similarities between a lot of early Camel material and Liz Reed. Six Ate and Curiosity really spring to my mind, with the light jazzy feel that all of them share in the melodies and soloing department. Another one that's always stood out to me is the 4/4 symphonic section in live versions of Whipping Post. It sounds just like something that would have been thrown on Mirage.

I’m a Gemini myself.  And I don’t give a darn!  Tongue

But yeah, that Camel/Allmans similarity should be obvious to anyone who’s actually paying attention and isn’t tone-deaf, which would include (so-called) critics for Rolling Stone.  Back in the 1980s, they put out their so-called Record Guide, which was apparently designed for the extremely gullible and easily led.  Their entry for Camel “covered” only Mirage, Snow Goose and Moonmadness in one short paragraph, which showed so abundantly that this yutz must have given each album only the most cursory listen, overlooking the aforementioned similarity and already had a bias against “that kind” of music, labeling the band as a “low-rent Moody Blues.”  Yeah, I know, consider the source. Confused

That’s stuck in my craw for years and I just had to get it off my chest.

Moving on…the Itchy and Scratchy/Magma comparison above brings to mind how the Grobschnitt song “The Excursion of Father Smith” contains a bass riff that has always had me singing along with it “Flintstones, meet the Flintstones…” LOL

-------------

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: December 20 2016 at 20:51
How about this one. This is pretty well known

Posted By: The Sloth
Date Posted: December 22 2016 at 03:09
The end of Dance On A Volcano and Fracture are very similar. 

Posted By: Rapanoid
Date Posted: December 26 2016 at 18:46
JERRY WAS A RACE ELEPHANT TALKER TAXI DRIVER by Rapanoid and King Primusson (take 1 veeeery very drunk)

https://soundcloud.com/diggei-rapina/jerry-was-a-race-elephant-talking-taxi-driver-take-one

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: December 26 2016 at 19:15
The main riff at 2.45mns for Eloy’s “Paralyzed Civilization” and Spooky Tooth’s classic “the Mirror”

https://youtu.be/wAY7Wj2SDrQ" rel="nofollow -   https://youtu.be/6p_-KpsS1Hs" rel="nofollow -

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: December 26 2016 at 19:42
I don't know why, but I can interlock some vocal melodies of Cyndi Lauper's Girls Just Wanna Have Fun with Floyd's Learning To Fly. Or vice-versa....

Posted By: Aussie-Byrd-Brother
Date Posted: December 26 2016 at 19:45
I can't tell the difference between Fleetwood Mac's `Never Going Back Again' and a dog turd on the street....

Posted By: tszirmay
Date Posted: December 26 2016 at 22:59
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

I can't tell the difference between Fleetwood Mac's `Never Going Back Again' and a dog turd on the street....
LOLLOLLOLClapClapClap

-------------
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.

Date Posted: December 26 2016 at 23:21
Oh, Thomas, I was only being snarky, but Tom Ozric knows my passionate dislike for that song! Years and years ago when I was younger I worked in a supermarket, and they had these tapes that would replay on relay in-store every day or two, and that song would constantly show up, although I had no idea what it was (this was also pre-internet/Google, so no luck there!). I'd be like `What is this plinky-plonky crap, so chirpy and pretty?!', and that jangly acoustic guitar!! It drove me CRAZY! It was only years later that I was able to do an internet search for the lyrics that it came up, cue me - `WHAT?!'

Heh, I hadn't heard the `Rumours' album at that point, but oddly I did have the double `Tusk' and quite enjoyed it. It would have been pretty funny if I'd decided to grab `Rumours' at some point and been casually listening and then suddenly it came on....pretty sure my mind would have shut down to protect itself! I'd be like `Ohhh, son of a.....'

Posted By: infocat
Date Posted: December 27 2016 at 23:19
been down two time...

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Date Posted: December 27 2016 at 23:24
Originally posted by infocat infocat wrote:

been down two time...

SON OF A...!!!   

Date Posted: December 28 2016 at 02:21
^ Fleetwood Mac were a decent band pre-74.........

Date Posted: December 28 2016 at 02:36
I don't know if I'd even consider them a bad band in that pop period, Tom. I mean, not very interesting (at least for many of us prog-snobs!), but they've enjoyed death by complete and utter radio over-exposure over the decades, though to be fair they were pretty good commercial pop/rock songs. I just thought their albums from that period sounded like compilations of different bands as opposed to one single group. I've only ever had the double `Tusk' album from that period and always thought it was occasionally great, but I wouldn't have listened to it in about twenty years at this point, and can't say I have much interest in going back to it.

Date Posted: December 28 2016 at 02:49
^ I hear what you mean by the 'compilations of different bands.......' as the records I have and have heard in the past really mix it up from track to track. Down to different drum sounds, bass tones, vocalist etc. Almost like each song was produced differently, though on the same album, and without a conscious 'flow' or relation to the songwriting. Clever and eclectic if you ask me.

Date Posted: December 28 2016 at 04:22
Oooooooooh it's start to be better now :D

So I can announce that
"LADIES AND GENTS, FROM A GREAT INTUITION OF Mr. LARKSTONGUE41 Rapanoid and KING PRIMUSSON a little less shamely than few posts ago, PRESENT:
Jerry was a race elephant talking taxi driver (take two)"

https://soundcloud.com/diggei-rapina/jerry-was-a-race-elephant-talking-taxi-driver-take-one

-------------
http://radiorapina.blogspot.it/

Date Posted: December 28 2016 at 04:43
^ ......yeah, and ??

Date Posted: December 28 2016 at 04:51
Don't know about you, Tom, but I know all those words but that sentence doesn't make any sense, and now I have a migraine

Date Posted: December 28 2016 at 05:03
......you must follow on from the previous......like - 'blah blah blah......'
And then the 'yeah, and ?' ..........but if you don't get it, doesn't matter. You should know how skewed my mind operates.........

Date Posted: December 28 2016 at 05:09
I remember a a more than strange similarity beetween Hocu Pocus, the classic from Focus and a Altan Urag song..... was really the mongolian Hocus Pocus....
I don't remember the title..... when I'll be home I investigate (a couple of hours)

-------------
http://radiorapina.blogspot.it/

Date Posted: December 28 2016 at 05:21
So.......btw, my ramblings here are often incoherent, due to whatever it is that influences my ideals........so, get a professor Freud to analyse my nerdy responses......

Posted By: infocat
Date Posted: December 28 2016 at 22:58
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

I don't know if I'd even consider them a bad band in that pop period, Tom. I mean, not very interesting (at least for many of us prog-snobs!), but they've enjoyed death by complete and utter radio over-exposure over the decades, though to be fair they were pretty good commercial pop/rock songs. I just thought their albums from that period sounded like compilations of different bands as opposed to one single group. I've only ever had the double `Tusk' album from that period and always thought it was occasionally great, but I wouldn't have listened to it in about twenty years at this point, and can't say I have much interest in going back to it.
Never going back again?

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Date Posted: December 28 2016 at 23:04
Ha! I did eventually hear it on that `Rumours' album years later, and although I cringed, it wasn't like a gnashing of the teeth, foaming at the mouth affair...much to my disappointment, really!

Date Posted: December 29 2016 at 10:09
Originally posted by Rapanoid Rapanoid wrote:

So I can announce that
"LADIES AND GENTS, FROM A GREAT INTUITION OF Mr. LARKSTONGUE41 Rapanoid and KING PRIMUSSON a little less shamely than few posts ago, PRESENT:
Jerry was a race elephant talking taxi driver (take two)"

That's awesome LOL!

-------------

Date Posted: January 03 2017 at 19:15

Triumvirat’s The History of Mystery has two passages that had to have been inspired, intentionally or not, by earlier songs:

1.  The opening section sounds a lot like Apache by the Shadows (or by “Jorgen Ingemann and His Guitar” in the U.S.)

2. The tune that opens and closes the next section sounds like a variation on a theme from ELP’s Karn Evil 9 1st Impression (the one with the guitar solo).

-------------

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: January 04 2017 at 17:56
This was released before Dark side. Deeply reminiscent of Brain Damage.

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Posted By: ClaudeV
Date Posted: January 07 2017 at 08:53
Opening of Slogans by Steve Hackett

And a part of Plague of lighthouse keepers at 16:56

Posted By: Cambus741
Date Posted: January 07 2017 at 08:59
I always thought that Signature in the Sand by Final Conflict is quite similar to Sorrow by Pink Floyd

Posted By: Scorpius
Date Posted: January 07 2017 at 14:52
Its subtle, but Dire Straits Down to the Waterline and Pink Floyds Comfortably Numb use the same scale and even repeat the same notes in certain parts of each song. Not to call foul play, of course, the scale is used in a lot of songs, but these tracks can become glaringly similar once the listener becomes aware of this.

Posted By: David64T
Date Posted: January 20 2017 at 04:10
I've just been listening to a newly received Kraan CD ("Andy Nogger"), and am thinking that the title track has a guitar riff eerily reminiscent of an apparently popular song by Aerosmith and their rapping mates.

Or maybe it's just me. Big smile 

-------------
Seasons Of Change - weekly programme on community radio: https://seasonsofchangeradio.blogspot.com.au/" rel="nofollow - http://seasonsofchangeradio.blogspot.com.au/

Posted By: Arnulf Floyd
Date Posted: July 04 2017 at 07:02
Green River by CCR and Long Cool Woman(In a Black Dress) by The Hollies are similar in vocal style and in melody

-------------
Long Live Rock 'n' Roll

Posted By: zappaholic
Date Posted: July 04 2017 at 09:41
Originally posted by Arnulf Floyd Arnulf Floyd wrote:

Green River by CCR and Long Cool Woman(In a Black Dress) by The Hollies are similar in vocal style and in melody

The Hollies basically admitted they were trying to sound like Creedence on that one.

-------------
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken

Date Posted: July 24 2017 at 17:46

1:12

-------------

Posted By: ProfPanglos
Date Posted: July 25 2017 at 17:11
Rush: What You're Doing

Buffalo Fuzz: The War

The songs are different enough, but the first part of that riff is just identical.

Date Posted: July 26 2017 at 03:41
Why do I feel that Floyd's Learning To Fly sounds similar to Cyndi Lauper's Girls Just Wanna Have Fun. ??
I swear you can fit the lyrics and chord progression and tempo...... with each other

Posted By: Thatfabulousalien
Date Posted: July 26 2017 at 04:03
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I don't know why, but I can interlock some vocal melodies of Cyndi Lauper's Girls Just Wanna Have Fun with Floyd's Learning To Fly. Or vice-versa....

I definitely hear it 

-------------
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325

Date Posted: July 26 2017 at 04:31
^ Thanks buddy
I often question myself and certain ideals ........

Posted By: BarryGlibb
Date Posted: July 26 2017 at 05:18
I keep singing "The Back of Love" by Echo and The Bunnymen to Culture Club's "Church of The Poison Mind" ..I'm probably wrong but they seem to have the same melodic structure but completely different in genre....one is a dirge the other is an upbeat tune......I am probably wrong!

Posted By: RockHound
Date Posted: July 29 2017 at 10:49
There is great similarity in The refrains in Darkness by Peter Gabriel (Up) and The Irrelevant Love Song by T (Psychoanorexia).

Date Posted: July 30 2017 at 04:23
That start of that song that goes " I'm having the time of my life, and I've never felt that way before " (Panzerballett do a neat cover of it !!) and the intro to Floyd's Keep Talking.

Posted By: Blaqua
Date Posted: July 30 2017 at 20:48

Hawkwind's Hall Of The Mountain Grill (1974) and the beginning of Stories' Earthbound / Freefall (1973).         

Date Posted: August 03 2017 at 14:52
For some strange reason I was thinking today about how the James Gang's "funk 49" sounds a lot like Footloose by Kenny Loggins(yes the song from the movie Footloose). I'm referring to the guitar riff of Funk 49 mostly. Of course the lyrics are different. Tongue

Apparently I'm not the only one who thinks so either. :) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWkDttmIRkA

Date Posted: August 03 2017 at 15:15
Also, I don't remember what it was but some obscure south american prog band put out a song where part of the section sounded exactly like a Joe Walsh song but theirs was released first. A really strange coincidence because I seriously doubt that Joe traveled to south America heard this band in some bar and said "Hmmm, I like that. Nobody will know the difference." :D

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk