Forum Description: Create polls on topics related to progressive music
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=109738
Printed Date: May 06 2024 at 18:43
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Best Song on Deep Purple's "Fireball" Album
Posted By: Scorpius
Subject: Best Song on Deep Purple's "Fireball" Album
Date Posted: December 22 2016 at 19:34
Fools for me, with everything else as a close 2nd.

Replies:
Posted By: DeadSouls
Date Posted: December 22 2016 at 19:46
Mule

Posted By: Magnum Vaeltaja
Date Posted: December 22 2016 at 20:08
Always really enjoyed the title track, and Strange Kind of Woman, though I prefer the live version of the latter with the vocal/guitar duels. 

-------------
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents

Posted By: someone_else
Date Posted: December 23 2016 at 01:51
In earlier days I would have voted for the title track. Now I choose No No No with Fireball still close behind.

-------------

Posted By: uduwudu
Date Posted: December 23 2016 at 04:18
Question about The Mule. IG refers to 5 fools (presumably he and his band mates). Now as I very vaguely recall from the Isaac Asimov Foundation trilogy (when they were a trilogy) there was this character called The Mule and he had done something nasty to five fools. Is my memory cell - a cerebral party line - faded and abused or is there some connection between the Mules?

Voted for Fools btw. And the remaster on CD blew my old LP out the water. Smoked it in fact.

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: December 23 2016 at 04:21

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: December 23 2016 at 04:44
Demon's Eye - always loved that track.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Posted By: gr8dane
Date Posted: December 23 2016 at 05:40
Fireball,followed closely by Demon's eye and No one came.

-------------
Shake & bake.

Posted By: gr8dane
Date Posted: December 23 2016 at 05:43
Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

Question about The Mule. IG refers to 5 fools (presumably he and his band mates). Now as I very vaguely recall from the Isaac Asimov Foundation trilogy (when they were a trilogy) there was this character called The Mule and he had done something nasty to five fools. Is my memory cell - a cerebral party line - faded and abused or is there some connection between the Mules?

Voted for Fools btw. And the remaster on CD blew my old LP out the water. Smoked it in fact.

Read The Foundation series several times over.
Remember the Mule,but I think ,it was just his ability to manipulate the people and his surroundings.
Nothing about 5 fools,I think,mind you I can get a little hazy myself some times.

-------------
Shake & bake.

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: December 23 2016 at 06:38
Impossible to choose. One of my favorite albums, as a whole, from a great band.

Posted By: Sailor21Prog12
Date Posted: December 29 2016 at 11:19
Haven't heard this album in years, but I remember digging Fools and as being one of their greater songs of the Mk.2 days.

Posted By: doompaul
Date Posted: December 29 2016 at 12:12
Fantastic record

Date Posted: December 29 2016 at 22:59
Originally posted by gr8dane gr8dane wrote:

Read The Foundation series several times over.
Remember the Mule,but I think ,it was just his ability to manipulate the people and his surroundings.
Nothing about 5 fools,I think,mind you I can get a little hazy myself some times.

Hmm, Damn, blast 'n' curses. Could've sworn there was... oh well. It would've made a nice little bit of conceptual duality.
Oh well.

Date Posted: December 29 2016 at 23:02
 Oh had I been voting based on my old elpee then Anyone's Daughter would get the vote. Great tune.

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: December 30 2016 at 15:08

You are correct about the tie-in between DP "The Mule" and Asimov's "Foundation Trilogy," I read an interview with Ian Gillan once where he explained the connection. 

Yes, The Mule was inspired by Asimov. It's been a while but I'm sure you've made the right connection...Asimov was required reading in the 60's.

http://www.gillan.com/qa-62.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.gillan.com/qa-62.html

I voted for the Mule in this poll, although Fireball deserves a vote thanks to Gillan's amazing scream!

Posted By: KingCrInuYasha
Date Posted: December 30 2016 at 15:36
I think I made a poll like this a couple years ago, only it had also included "I'm Alone".

Back on topic, impossible to choose. The band was all over the place stylistically and the quality of songs were fantastic, to the point where I can't choose between this and In Rock as my favorite Deep Purple record.

-------------
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!

Posted By: akaBona
Date Posted: December 30 2016 at 16:32
Fools

Date Posted: December 31 2016 at 02:35
Tell you one thing about the Mule (sorry Paicey) but I prefer it a great deal as a song with that fantastic drumming  in the middle rather than being reduced as a vehicle for a drum solo as happened live.

Posted By: BaldFriede
Date Posted: December 31 2016 at 02:52
"Fireball" for me. I very much like that drum intro.

-------------

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.

Posted By: maryes
Date Posted: January 01 2017 at 07:25
Fools !

Posted By: thief
Date Posted: January 13 2017 at 15:01
Fools, no question about that.
On a sidenote, I consider Fireball as equal, or almost equal, to Machine Head. Really love that album, dense atmosphere, lots of highlights and some great memories, too. I think it should be listened in its entirety and including Strange Kind of Woman somewhere in there (but not as a last track, Fools and No One Came need to be there).

Posted By: maryes
Date Posted: January 13 2017 at 17:09
Fools > No no no

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: January 13 2017 at 18:20
I missed this on its round on the main page.  Glad I found it here.  Great album.  Yes, alongside Machine Head and In Rock.  Hard to pick a favorite, but I decided to go with No one Came.  I was in a band in the late 80s that was falling apart.  As a comment, I suggested this song as the next cover for us to do (we mostly did originals).  It was really too heavy for us and I don't know if the others got the message.  The band folded shortly afterwards, which is too bad because I thought we had something real to offer.  My second place would probably be No No No (I am really into the negatives here), but there is not a bad track on the whole album.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: geekfreak
Date Posted: January 25 2017 at 11:58
Fireball...............ClapClapClap

-------------
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk