Can anything surprise you anymore?

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Music Lounge
Forum Description: General progressive music discussions
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=109749
Printed Date: May 08 2024 at 10:07
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Can anything surprise you anymore?
Posted By: paganinio
Subject: Can anything surprise you anymore?
Date Posted: December 23 2016 at 21:34
When we first started listening to prog, and music in general, the variety of aethsetics and instrumentation and songwriting etc. may be a whole new experience for us. It's like discovering a new world. But after years of listening to prog and getting to know the top albums on PA, do you feel that you have heard everything there is (not every album of course, but every possible style and creative idea)?  Do you still believe you may hear something that surprises you, like "wow I never thought music like this existed!"

It doesn't have to be new music from 2016 or 2017, it can be any prog music from any year. Do you think there's still something out there that is beyond your imagination?

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: Tom Ozric
Date Posted: December 23 2016 at 21:41
For sure.
After indulging in Prog music for about 3 decades now, I'm catching up with the Metal scene of recent years and it's full of surprises. And each new album I discover always offers some surprises. Nothing ceases to amaze me.

Posted By: Thatfabulousalien
Date Posted: December 24 2016 at 00:16
Yes, If you start looking outside the box you'll find stuff that amazes you, stuff that excites you and stuff that scares you. There's such a huge musical world out there, go and chase stuff that inspires you! Smile

-------------
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325

Posted By: Sorav
Date Posted: December 24 2016 at 00:26
Personally I think prog rock compositions mixed with meshuggah esque riffs would be cool. Hell, maybe I'll do it myself one day haha. But seriously there's alot of stuff you could still do. For example going back to Meshuggah, what if you got that same concept of riffy weird 4/4 rhythms then played modally on it? Or maybe play modally in one part of the song then go all 12 tone weird Ron Jarzombek stuff later? There's still so much stuff that can be done. The skies the limit!

-------------
http://www.soundcloud.com/soravme" rel="nofollow - Soundcloud
http://www.soravs.com" rel="nofollow - Blog

Posted By: Dayvenkirq
Date Posted: December 24 2016 at 00:48
Originally posted by paganinio paganinio wrote:

When we first started listening to prog, and music in general, the variety of aethsetics and instrumentation and songwriting etc. may be a whole new experience for us. It's like discovering a new world. But after years of listening to prog and getting to know the top albums on PA, do you feel that you have heard everything there is (not every album of course, but every possible style and creative idea)?  Do you still believe you may hear something that surprises you, like "wow I never thought music like this existed!"

It doesn't have to be new music from 2016 or 2017, it can be any prog music from any year. Do you think there's still something out there that is beyond your imagination?
I would add to that "It doesn't have to be prog". But then again, nobody wants to go through "What is prog and where do you draw the line?" one more time. 

Since I haven't heard all the music in all the history of the world, I'm pretty sure there's still music out there that I haven't heard that'd blow me away. 

Posted By: rogerthat
Date Posted: December 24 2016 at 01:31

When we first started listening to prog, and music in general, the variety of aethsetics and instrumentation and songwriting etc. may be a whole new experience for us. It's like discovering a new world. 

Wasn't THAT new to me because of my previous experiences in music prior to prog.  I would say the ambition, 'epic' structure and complexity were new rather than the aesthetics and instrumentation by themselves. 

In a general sense, absolutely yes, I can and have been surprised by something new.  It can be even in a known 'genre' like jazz.  I found it surprising to discover what Barbara Dennerlein could do with the organ or what Bela Fleck could with the banjo.  At a very basic level, upon listening to some of the very early stuff AC DC did, I was surprised to hear the amount of shred in Young's solos from that period compared to Highway to Hell/Back in Black.  

Posted By: Sean Trane
Date Posted: December 24 2016 at 02:49
Whatever surprises I find nowadays, I find it mostly in jazz/fusion

But I'm probably blasé.

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: December 24 2016 at 04:59
Hi,

Hard to say ... I wonder if we're a bit stuck on the things that we love to listen to, and it has a tendency to not allow for us to hear new and different things, with an open mind, for us to see if there is/isn't something in there that is new.

I was catching some Richard Barbieri, and that experimental stuff he did on one show was actually far out, and while not 100% new/strange/weird/offitsrocker to shake your head up good, it had enough stuff in it that was neat and far out.

And a couple of the interviews kinda touch the experimental area some ... "listen"

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: omphaloskepsis
Date Posted: December 24 2016 at 05:31
Unexpect surprised moi.  

Posted By: Blacksword
Date Posted: December 24 2016 at 06:01
I don't know about surprising me. Possibly not, but that doesn't mean I don't hear new things I like. I don't have to be surprised of have my mind completely blown to like something. Sometimes a good song is just a good song.

-------------
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!

Posted By: Manuel
Date Posted: December 24 2016 at 06:07
I actually hope to find that experience every time I discover a new band. Even the bands that are labeled "clones" have a twist on their music different from the bands they are getting inspiration from, what to speak of bands that actually are aiming for that special sound nobody has ever tried. Hard to find these days of course, but if you listen closely, with an open mind/ear, you'll find it.

Posted By: lostrom
Date Posted: December 24 2016 at 08:23
Very rarely.

-------------
lostrom

Posted By: npjnpj
Date Posted: December 24 2016 at 09:27
Not very often, and when it happens there are mostly years in between. As I listen to a lot of newly released music, that says a lot.

The last time it happened to me is quite a few years back now, and that's when I first heard The Cardiacs.

Posted By: retroactive
Date Posted: December 25 2016 at 14:18
yup ...........  in fact there's a lot to follow , dig , discover and learn , Life is still going on , nothing can stop this flow of imagination & creativity .... once you're in the Progressive World , nothing can take you out my friend   ~~

Posted By: Mascodagama
Date Posted: December 25 2016 at 14:45
All the time. If you aren't finding things that surprise you then I think you probably aren't really looking for that. Might have to look outside the 'prog' safe zone, though.

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: December 25 2016 at 14:54
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

All the time. If you aren't finding things that surprise you then I think you probably aren't really looking for that. Might have to look outside the 'prog' safe zone, though.

This man obviously knows what he is talking about. I concur.

I gather the chance of being surprised by new music is rather poor if one insists on looking in the same places. Put in another way: if you're searching for new planets it probably isn't wise to direct your gaze at the moon...even if it is pretty.

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: hellogoodbye
Date Posted: December 25 2016 at 15:04
I am still surprised because I change and by changing I catch liking things which would not have surprised me if I had remained the same.

Afficher limage dorigine

Posted By: andreol263
Date Posted: December 25 2016 at 18:10
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

This man obviously knows what he is talking about. I concur.

I gather the chance of being surprised by new music is rather poor if one insists on looking in the same places. Put in another way: if you're searching for new planets it probably isn't wise to direct your gaze at the moon...even if it is pretty.
I Agree with you, this is why after the third time i've come back to listen Prog Metal again, and it appears that this time it's kicking in my interest Smile

-------------

Posted By: Hercules
Date Posted: December 26 2016 at 05:01
Only the infinite stupidity of mankind.

-------------
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.

Posted By: CPicard
Date Posted: December 26 2016 at 07:58
Ian Anderson's nude pictures leaked on the Internet.
That would surprise (and scare) me.

More seriously, I should go on my exploration of traditional music and, er, "contemporary traditional music": I'm awaiting the first album of UB-K, a trio creating a fusion of Mongolian music and European medieval music.
I've never had the opportunity to see them on stage, and I'm really curious about their repertoire.

Posted By: A_Flower
Date Posted: December 26 2016 at 08:49
Three months ago, I discovered Cardiacs. They really surprised me! I listened to Song to God and I didn't know what to think when Dog-Like Sparky came on!

-------------
User Banned for this Post

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: December 26 2016 at 09:23
I'm surprised, and delighted, when bands long in the tooth still make some very good albums in recent times.  (Rush, Marillion, and IQ, please take a bow.)

Btw, I would also be surprised if Neil Young lost his muse. Despite some ups and downs, he seems to keep getting better.

Posted By: A_Flower
Date Posted: December 26 2016 at 10:02
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Btw, I would also be surprised if Neil Young lost his muse. Despite some ups and downs, he seems to keep getting better.

Neil Young is a favorite in my family. We saw him live last October. He sounded unbelievable, like he was in his 20s!

-------------
User Banned for this Post

Posted By: SteveG
Date Posted: December 26 2016 at 10:22
Originally posted by A_Flower A_Flower wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Neil Young is a favorite in my family. We saw him live last October. He sounded unbelievable, like he was in his 20s!
Yeah, Neil is pretty awesome. I did some of my first big time live sound work for CSN&Y in 1974. He was someone that had that mysterious mojo, like he was just getting warmed up, and much more was to come. And, I believe that's proved true.

-------------
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: December 26 2016 at 12:18
I would like to think that there is more out there to surprise me. Right now my heavy spins have been the likes of Can, ELP and KC. I still enjoy how great that music is.....There is so much i have not spent time on though

-------------

Posted By: Guldbamsen
Date Posted: December 26 2016 at 12:28
For the peeps of this thread who need evidence of something fresh inside the music world (that most definitely will surprise them!), I recommend you go check out Todd Rundgren's latest collab with Lindstrøm and Emil Nicolaisen

-------------
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams

Posted By: dr wu23
Date Posted: December 26 2016 at 14:52
Musically...maybe not ,but I am always surprised to find both old prog and proto prog  things that I have not heard before.

-------------
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin

Posted By: dr prog
Date Posted: December 26 2016 at 16:18
I'm hearing a lot of old compositions for the first time which are awesome

-------------
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.

Posted By: HackettFan
Date Posted: December 26 2016 at 22:13
Sure, but being surprised is not as important as being intrigued.

-------------
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)

Posted By: siLLy puPPy
Date Posted: December 26 2016 at 23:00
Of course. If nothing surprises you then you've made it to the GOD level. I am constantly surprised how many ideas had already been done sooooo very long ago when i assumed they were newly found creations. Occasionally something new pops up that makes me go WHOAH!!!!

Posted By: Modrigue
Date Posted: December 27 2016 at 01:15
This thread makes echo to a topic on new musical genres I started several months ago:

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=106456" rel="nofollow - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=106456

I think the surprise will come from non-western cultures...

-------------
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqf2srRfppHAslEmHBn8QP6d_eoanh0eW" rel="nofollow - My compositions

Posted By: Davesax1965
Date Posted: December 27 2016 at 02:58
Lots of things still surprise me. Usually in a bad way. ;-)

No, if you have an open mind and go looking, you'll eventually find something interesting and innovative. 

-------------

Posted By: PhideauxFan
Date Posted: December 27 2016 at 05:28
If I listen to bands only inspired by 70's progressive rock, I am not surprised anymore (except with artists like Phideaux Wink ).
But when progressive music is mixed with metal/techno/alternative/post-rock, then I am surprised every month.

Posted By: Davesax1965
Date Posted: December 27 2016 at 07:25
I think it'd be fair to say that I am surprised by techno. 

I am surprised at how quickly I find something else to play. ;-)

-------------

Posted By: CosmicSpaceCat
Date Posted: December 27 2016 at 07:41
Some times the element of surprise is not always a bad thing,I have not heard everything there is to hear,and will not profess to have done so,and have come across some rather nice and gentle sounding prog,quite recently,sadly I have forgotten or rather forgot to write down the names of the artists,which is my way forgetful ness being a state of being alot for self.That said I think one has to remain open to new idea's and keep in your heart and mind what you cherish at the same time.I now feel as if I am some where on Planet Gong flying about in an unhinged tea pot,it must be the Xmas pud thing still,so if nonsense abounds in my post reply apologies.
Off to try a piece of pie in the sky and sit with an owl whilst being a tree..LOLSmile

Date Posted: December 27 2016 at 08:00
I was blown away surprised after listening to Black Sabbath's 13.   Unlike many here at Progarchives I thoroughly enjoyed 13.    

Posted By: twosteves
Date Posted: December 27 2016 at 21:49
I'm surprised at how much I still listen to and enjoy classic Yes and Genesis---after thousands of listens---I can still find it fresh---very few artists have had this kind of long term staying power---
I also am very surprised after listening to trump on Howard Stern for 20 years and saying things he said--he could be elected to leader of the free world--Shocked

Posted By: Run Home Slow
Date Posted: December 27 2016 at 21:55
[QUOTE=twosteves]I'm surprised at how much I still listen to and enjoy classic Yes and Genesis---after thousands of listens---I can still find it fresh---very few artists have had this kind of long term staying power---

Clap

[QUOTE=twosteves]I also am very surprised after listening to trump on Howard Stern for 20 years and saying things he said--he could be elected to leader of the free world--Shocked

Cry

-------------
If you got ears, you gotta listen — Captain Beefheart

Posted By: CPicard
Date Posted: December 28 2016 at 13:35
ELP's combeback would surprise me.

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: December 28 2016 at 13:56
In musical terms, no...probably not. In specific band terms (ie random bunch of old dudes reunite and create something good), it's possible.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: December 28 2016 at 18:22
bien sûr.

-------------

Posted By: peart_lee_lifeson
Date Posted: December 29 2016 at 01:41
Musically, there is still a lot for me to digest in the "classical" realm.  I've actually heard A LOT compared to the average person, but there is still so much more to explore.  The new Animals As Leaders album surprised me right away.  It sounded like music from 50 years in the future or something.  That band is uber talented.  I'm not sure they are ahead of their time, but I think they are making music like no one else at the moment.  There are some similar artists, but nobody does it quite like they do.  Phenomenal.  Also, delving into The Dear Hunter's catalogue surprised me by how much I liked their sound.  Me from 5 years ago would be appalled by how much I like anything involving somewhat whiny sounding vocals.  Seriously though, every album of theirs is pure gold if you ask me.  I guess if The Mars Volta ever get back together we'll all be in for a very pleasant surprise from them.  Those guys make some crazy music!  Lastly, "Ocean" by John Butler did in fact surprise me recently.

-------------
PROG ON!!!

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: December 29 2016 at 15:35
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

ELP's combeback would surprise me.
That's just cruel ! Cry

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Posted By: JD
Date Posted: December 29 2016 at 15:36
^and with no offense intended, about the only thing that does surprise me these days is stupidity...every time I see it.

-------------
Thank you for supporting independently produced music

Date Posted: January 15 2017 at 08:19
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Of course. If nothing surprises you then you've made it to the GOD level. I am constantly surprised how many ideas had already been done sooooo very long ago when i assumed they were newly found creations. Occasionally something new pops up that makes me go WHOAH!!!!

Maybe GOD is constantly surprised?   How boring would it be, to never feel surprised?

Posted By: Terrapin Station
Date Posted: January 15 2017 at 11:06

I'd hope there would be music out there that is beyond my imagination, stuff that would completely surprise me (and ideally blow me away with how awesome it is), but I'm very jaded about it, too.   I haven't found anything like that in a long, long time and I don't expect to.  Maybe it won't be possible in what's left of my lifetime.  I don't know.  Part of the problem is that there isn't any type of music I don't listen to.  So I've kind of heard everything, at least in terms of broader-level ideas.

I do occasionally hear things that sound pretty fresh to me, but that's different.  That's more along the lines of simply tweaking and combining preexisting ideas in particular ways that are relatively unusual.

At this, it doesn't imply that I enjoy music any less than I used to.  I don't need that sort of novelty to enjoy something.  I'm happy with stuff that treads familiar ground, but that does it with a lot of craft/skill.

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: January 16 2017 at 19:03
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Maybe GOD is constantly surprised?   How boring would it be, to never feel surprised?

Read up on some Thomas Hartshorne - he wrote about just that sort of thing.

As to music, it takes a lot to surprise me in my jaded days, and not all surprises are pleasant.  There is some music that I have been listening to for decades where I still find nuances, but I do not consider those surprises.  I try to be as open as I can when hearing new music, but I also know very quickly if it will work for me or not.  But you never know, there could always be something radically unanticipated around the next corner.

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: Big Ears
Date Posted: January 17 2017 at 04:07
Occasionally, but not as often as I would like.

Posted By: Jeffro
Date Posted: January 17 2017 at 04:45

Do you still believe you may hear something that surprises you, like "wow I never thought music like this existed!"

Yes, when I first heard Mars Volta, Mahavishnu Orchestra, and Gentle Giant.

And I'm still surprised all the time. I keep finding great unexpected music using the PA database

Posted By: SamMac
Date Posted: January 18 2017 at 18:17
I was beginning to think that and then I rediscovered Pawn Hearts a couple months ago.  I had heard that album a dozen times or so, liked it, but then when I revisited it on shrooms in the dark on a good pair of headphones, it clicked like no other album has.  I could see every note and it formed this insane 3d landscape in my head.  I got completely lost in the album... 4 or 5 times.  It was the greatest experience of my life.  I wonder if anyone else has ever listened to Pawn Hearts with absolute giddy, dumbfounded awe like I did.  I never thought I would find anything that I thought surpasses the early Genesis albums, but now I think Pawn Hearts is even better than The Lamb or Supper's Ready.  I still can't comprehend the genius and the vision of Peter Hammill.  Then I heard Modern for the first time and the Silent Corner album and my mind was absolutely blown in a million pieces.  I couldn't believe what I was hearing.  What is music??

As much as I've tried to get across how great Pawn Hearts is, I can't even come close.  It is not just an album, in my opinion it's the greatest artistic accomplishment of mankind.  You could give me all the money in the world and I wouldn't up the album or that experience.

Posted By: tamijo
Date Posted: January 19 2017 at 06:13
last time i was possitively surprised was my first listen to The Bedlam in Goliath more than 7 years ago.
So: not too often.

-------------
Prog is whatevey you want it to be. So dont diss other peoples prog, and they wont diss yours

Posted By: I Love Internet
Date Posted: January 20 2017 at 05:42
I guess I do still get surprised sometimes. Last year Fates Warning surprised  me very pleasently with their new album.  I liked their previous one to some extent, but Theories.. really blew me away. It doesn´t really offer anything new, but what it does offer is some of the best prog metal made this decade.

The biggest surprise of this decade though, came when I found Unexpect in 2010. There aren´t many albums that continue to excite me 5 or more years after I first heard them, but In a Flesh aquarium and Fables of the sleepless empire still have that wow effect on me. I suppose that´s enough fanboyism for now.

-------------
I like my eggs boiled and that´s it!

Posted By: RockHound
Date Posted: January 20 2017 at 08:00
I found Farmers Market's albums to be a refreshing surprise. Irony meets exceptional musical dexterity in a really odd fusion soup.

And the Seven Wilson 5.1 mix of Tales from Topographic Oceans is loaded with surprises. Not only is it great to have a version of Tales with clarity, I was very surprised to hear how on fire Squire's bass work is. It's amazing how much great stuff was hidden in the mud of the earlier releases.

And then there's Jack O' the Clock.

Posted By: bloodnarfer
Date Posted: January 20 2017 at 12:10
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

I am still surprised because I change and by changing I catch liking things which would not have surprised me if I had remained the same.

For sure, ever changing tastes helps things feel fresh
Getting stuck in one zone can be the worst..  when I feel there are no surprises left I get depressed until I go on a music binge and find a new corner to explore.

Things I thought were my jam 4 years ago I can merely tolerate now and vice versa in some ways

-------------
http://www.last.fm/user/ramza1316" rel="nofollow - www.last.fm/user/ramza1316
https://open.spotify.com/user/1211221845" rel="nofollow - https://open.spotify.com/user/1211221845

Posted By: Dopeydoc
Date Posted: January 20 2017 at 13:10
Surprised (WOW factor):
In the court of the crimson king
Deep purple in rock
Yes Relayer
Gentle giant (the first you discover in the 1970-1975 years)

Newer one:
IQ Frequency

Surprised (this is really different)
Soft machine 2
Phideaux Doomsday afternoon
.... and many others

Serge Gainsbourg: Melody Nelson (this one is not in PA Wink)

Posted By: Lewian
Date Posted: January 20 2017 at 14:04
Today I heard for the first time the album Central Market (or any album) of the former Battles singer (and son of Anthony Braxton) Tyondai Braxton. That's a monster of an album, doesn't really fit into any category, and it always surprises me to discover something THAT good. I discover "quite good" things regularly and it doesn't surprise me much, but this one...
Braxton is currently not on PA but was discussed once without really being rejected. One team moved him elsewhere and then he was forgotten.

Posted By: micky
Date Posted: January 20 2017 at 14:27
nah... the American electorate took care of that for me LOLThumbs Up A bigoted racist reality TV star just on the hook for millions for swindling Americans out of their money. f**k it...  let's elect him President.

Nope...now nothing will be able to surprise me... 

-------------
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk