Print Page | Close Window

King Crimson USA 2017

Printed From: Progarchives.com
Category: Progressive Music Lounges
Forum Name: Prog Gigs, Tours and Festivals
Forum Description: Announce (shows, dates and more) and discuss progressive events and bands touring (featured in home and artist page)
URL: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=109872
Printed Date: April 29 2024 at 11:25
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: King Crimson USA 2017
Posted By: Finnforest
Subject: King Crimson USA 2017
Date Posted: January 07 2017 at 14:34
The band will spend much of the year in the States.  

http://www.jambase.com/article/robert-fripp-confirms-king-crimson-tour-us-2017" rel="nofollow - http://www.jambase.com/article/robert-fripp-confirms-king-crimson-tour-us-2017

Replies:
Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: January 07 2017 at 14:38
And now with four drummers!Shocked

I have thoroughly enjoyed the dvd of the last tour with three drummers, so it will be interesting to see how this one goes.

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Date Posted: January 07 2017 at 14:49
Steve are you talking about the Radical Action package?

Posted By: Man With Hat
Date Posted: January 07 2017 at 16:14
Wow...four drummers. I like it.

Hopefullly I'll be able to catch one of these shows.

-------------
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.

Posted By: Sagichim
Date Posted: January 07 2017 at 23:52
Sadly I missed them for two consecutive years now in Europe, I hope I can catch them in Seattle in february/march when I should be there...

Posted By: CPicard
Date Posted: January 08 2017 at 09:34
Since Bill Rieflin is a multi-instrumentist, do you think he will play as a fourth drummer?
I don't know what are the plans of Fripp for the next concerts (does he intend to cover Xenakis' "Pleiades"?!), but touring with four drumsets already looks like heavily burdening in terms of logistics... How many trucks does one need to travel with four drumsets?

Posted By: tboyd1802
Date Posted: January 09 2017 at 11:58
Cool. Saw them in San Fran during the last west coast tour. Will definitely head out to the west coast to see them again this go around...

-------------
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore

Posted By: TronFlutes
Date Posted: January 09 2017 at 12:09
Originally posted by CPicard CPicard wrote:

Since Bill Rieflin is a multi-instrumentist, do you think he will play as a fourth drummer?
I don't know what are the plans of Fripp for the next concerts (does he intend to cover Xenakis' "Pleiades"?!), but touring with four drumsets already looks like heavily burdening in terms of logistics... How many trucks does one need to travel with four drumsets?
  Oh c'mon, this is 2017 dude. They'll probably tour with a 3D printer and output 4 sets of disposable kits for each gig.  Wink

Posted By: Evolver
Date Posted: January 09 2017 at 14:43
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

And now with four drummers!Shocked

I have thoroughly enjoyed the dvd of the last tour with three drummers, so it will be interesting to see how this one goes.

Four drummers?

That might come close to one Bill Bruford.

-------------
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.

Posted By: Barbu
Date Posted: January 10 2017 at 10:37
with the same old material?

-------------

Posted By: Progosopher
Date Posted: January 10 2017 at 11:12
I might just have to make it a third time to see them.  I saw them twice in the 90s, including the double trio.  Unfortunately, both occasions were marred by bad sound - one of them among the worst I have ever heard.  It was in a beautiful concert hall definitely not designed for loud heavily distorted and intricate rock.  They simply overwhelmed the facility and the whole show was basically a wall of noise.  Of course, that may have been the way Fripp wanted it. Wink

-------------
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: January 11 2017 at 19:50
Hi,

I'm thinking that the extra person is to help take the load off Fripp and allow the middle drummer to do more keyboards. It will make the show even stronger, I bet.

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Posted By: omphaloskepsis
Date Posted: January 15 2017 at 05:48
crossing my fingers for a Dallas-Fort Worth show. 

Posted By: Mascodagama
Date Posted: January 15 2017 at 06:04
So if it is a double quartet one would assume that each quartet has one guitarist, a drummer and a drummer / keyboardist. One quartet would have a bass player and one a saxophonist.

Then again, who knows...

I would like to see them focus more on the 80s and later repertoire and/or new material, and would go to see them again if they the hit UK if that was the case. Well, I'd probably go anyway.

Posted By: Terrapin Station
Date Posted: January 15 2017 at 11:22
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

with the same old material?

Exactly, how about a new studio album? 

I'm not at all a fan of bands touring without new material.  I like the old model of album-tour-album-tour-album-tour - live album while they take a break, then repeat starting with another new album.

Date Posted: January 15 2017 at 17:44
teaser from the 2015 tours....

Posted By: Disconnect
Date Posted: January 16 2017 at 07:47
Originally posted by Terrapin Station Terrapin Station wrote:

I'm not at all a fan of bands touring without new material.  I like the old model of album-tour-album-tour-album-tour - live album while they take a break, then repeat starting with another new album.

I'm of the opposite mind - I'm simply happy that King Crimson are still active and touring.   I'm sure the set list isn't going to be completely identical to the 2014/2015 tours, plus the addition of extra players suggests we may get to see more improv pieces at these upcoming shows.

Even if the set list were to be 100% the same - so what?  It's King Crimson.

Posted By: moshkito
Date Posted: January 16 2017 at 09:42
Originally posted by Terrapin Station Terrapin Station wrote:

In this case ... this is no different than going to see a classical concert and a big name conductor is doing Stravinsky's "The Rite of Spring", or Beethoven's 5th, or Mahler's 3rd. However, we could say, that here this is Stravinsky conducting Stravinsky.

Don't pass up, this once in a lifetime thing. It is a very special show, and totally amazing, if you have the guts to shut your eyes, and just fly with the music. 

It's impressive. And something that you will remember for the rest of your life, unlike most of the silly rock shows. 

This whole thing, makes it hard to go backwards and listen to pop music again ... and this is the part that I think many folks are reacting to, maybe?

-------------
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com

Date Posted: January 18 2017 at 18:55
According to dgmlive.com, KC has just announced the first show of their upcoming US Tour:

King Crimson have confirmed they will be appearing at the Rochester Jazz Festival on Friday June 30th. Tickets for this show go on sale on Friday 20th January. This is the first date to be announced in a schedule that will see the Double Quartet on active service from June 13th to July 15th. Further dates for the full tour will be announced in the coming weeks.

Robert's diary entries suggest there existing repertoire will at a minimum be reworked and could include additional items:

Existing repertoire will be re-calibrated for the about-to-be-becoming King Crimson Double Quartet Formation. King Crimson is the first group of which Jeremy has been a full-member. Jeremy became a full-contributor to the Seven-Headed Beast during the 2017 EuroTour, a remarkable achievement for Jezza to adopt the entire repertoire on both drums and keyboards. Bill is presently returning from his Sabbatical, and now The Beast has Eight Heads.

Jeremy and Bill are both multi-instrumental, so King Crimson is likely to be making a lot more noise than before.

I for one could care less about new repertoire being added - although it would be nice. Even if material that has previously been played is included in the next tour, which undoubtedly will be, it will no doubt be reworked significantly to match the personnel included in this upcoming tour. I for one, look forward to comparing this incarnation to the previous.

-------------
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore

Date Posted: January 19 2017 at 04:24
Nice.....Rochester is barely an hour from where I live. I may get to see Crim 3-4 times this year based on their usual stops in my area.

Posted By: Thatfabulousalien
Date Posted: January 19 2017 at 04:29
Make up your goddamn mind Robert Fripp LOL

As much as many of us would want the band to live on forever, one minute it's over then the next minute it's on tour Wacko

-------------
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325

Posted By: CPicard
Date Posted: January 19 2017 at 06:17
^Well, I suppose that if Belew and his pals didn't tour as "Crimson Projekt", Fripp would have gladly enjoyed retirement - except that he would have spent his days asking YouTube to erase unauthorised live videos of KC instead of cultivating flowers and resolving murder mysteries like any good over-sixty-years old British people do.

Posted By: Thatfabulousalien
Date Posted: January 19 2017 at 06:32

^Well, I suppose that if Belew and his pals didn't tour as "Crimson Projekt", Fripp would have gladly enjoyed retirement - except that he would have spent his days asking YouTube to erase unauthorised live videos of KC instead of cultivating flowers and resolving murder mysteries like any good over-sixty-years old British people do.

Yeah, it's confusing. There have been a few bands that have done similar things, promote your big farewell tour then get back together and tour again the next year LOL

But Belew can sure put on a good show Clap

-------------
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325

Date Posted: January 19 2017 at 06:32

..... instead of cultivating flowers and resolving murder mysteries like any good over-sixty-years old British people do.

heh

Date Posted: February 01 2017 at 07:15
I want to see KC.  Hope they make it to Dallas-Fort Worth.

Date Posted: February 22 2017 at 18:50
Tour dates released:

http://www.dgmlive.com/news/KC_Radical_Action_2017" rel="nofollow - https://www.dgmlive.com/news/KC_Radical_Action_2017

See you in Seattle...

-------------

Posted By: Magnum Vaeltaja
Date Posted: February 22 2017 at 19:37
^ Awesome. I was considering going to Terra Incognita in May to get my live prog fix for the year, but I think I'll just save up and catch one of those early July shows instead.

-------------
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents

Posted By: Kepler62
Date Posted: February 22 2017 at 19:52
I saw them back in the 80s 3 times. It was nice to have consistency in the lineup. Wish I could have seen them '73-'74 the ultimate lineup. I like the more compact KC lineups. When Fripp started with the double trio sh*t I went.. whaaaat? This double quartet crap is just King Crimson in name. Crimson belonged to an era. They also fit in nicely from 1980-84. Now it's just a conflagration. Whoever Fripp can get. Not saying it will be sh*t but don't look at it as KC per se. Might go to the Toronto show if my schedule permits.

Date Posted: February 22 2017 at 20:43
Originally posted by Thatfabulousalien Thatfabulousalien wrote:

Make up your goddamn mind Robert Fripp LOL

As much as many of us would want the band to live on forever, one minute it's over then the next minute it's on tour Wacko

LOL

Date Posted: February 22 2017 at 21:06
It must be nice to be GOD.

Date Posted: February 22 2017 at 23:12
Originally posted by tboyd1802 tboyd1802 wrote:

Tour dates released:

http://www.dgmlive.com/news/KC_Radical_Action_2017" rel="nofollow - https://www.dgmlive.com/news/KC_Radical_Action_2017

See you in Seattle...

waiting for those NYC dates...

-------------

Posted By: Catcher10
Date Posted: February 23 2017 at 07:01
I'll be at the Seattle show........Still waiting for tixs to go on sale. Not doing the Royal Package, $365/ea...ouch!

-------------

Posted By: mechanicalflattery
Date Posted: February 23 2017 at 07:33
Assuming it's affordable, I'll hopefully be making the Seattle show. 

Date Posted: February 23 2017 at 11:23
The Moore Theater, will guess range to be $55-$85

-------------

Date Posted: February 23 2017 at 19:54
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Saw KC in San Fransisco at the Warfield in 2014. If memory serves, tickets were something like $85 or $90.

-------------

Date Posted: February 23 2017 at 20:02
Originally posted by tboyd1802 tboyd1802 wrote:

Saw KC in San Fransisco at the Warfield in 2014. If memory serves, tickets were something like $85 or $90.

That works......just need them to go onsale now.

-------------

Date Posted: March 09 2017 at 11:29
Tickets for Seattle show bought..Man these are going fast! Went on sale at 10PST, I bought at 10:02 and got middle of left section......F*ing ticket bots!!!

I'm going and that's all that matters....

-------------

Date Posted: March 09 2017 at 12:50
Ticketb*****d got hammered by bots the first day of sale for the Toronto show as well. I took the day off work & sat refreshing the screen for most of the day, watching each pair of prime, clicked-upon seats I reserved disappear as the software refused to complete every transaction. By mid afternoon I gave up refreshing and ordered by phone. Ticketb*****d's voice recognition robot offered me seats that were as far away from the band as you could get without standing outside the venue. Bitterly disappointed. Resale tickets at 2 to 5 times purchase price were already offered online before noon. Ticketb*****d 'limiting' purchases to 8 tickets per person probably didn't help matters for fans like me, who only wanted a pair.

Posted By: infocat
Date Posted: March 09 2017 at 23:24
Didn't your areas have a pre-sale?  I got a presale for the Denver show; Row 5 in the right (left?) side of the stage.

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Posted By: Tapfret
Date Posted: March 10 2017 at 00:37

Tickets for Seattle show bought..Man these are going fast! Went on sale at 10PST, I bought at 10:02 and got middle of left section......F*ing ticket bots!!!

When I go on it says general sales don't start until March 17. I'm confused. Then again, $37 for rear balcony and $100 to be close? Sort of less than enthusiastic about that price, even for the Moore...even for Fripp's Crimson.

-------------
https://www.last.fm/user/Tapfret" rel="nofollow">
https://bandcamp.com/tapfret" rel="nofollow - Bandcamp

Date Posted: March 10 2017 at 06:27
RE: Toronto show. The first day of sale I mentioned WAS the presale day. LiveNation had an easy to find password (which I was using) and sections were reserved for American Express card holders as well. I found out after the fact the only reliable way to order on that day was with a Ticketmaster smartphone app. Either their online software failed or it couldn't handle the onslaught of professional scalper demand. I guess when you have a monopoly, you really don't have to give a crap. Yea, I'm bitter.

Date Posted: March 10 2017 at 13:02
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

When I go on it says general sales don't start until March 17. I'm confused. Then again, $37 for rear balcony and $100 to be close? Sort of less than enthusiastic about that price, even for the Moore...even for Fripp's Crimson.

Yes public gen sales is next week.....good luck! I am sure some were saved. 
I have an STG (Seattle Theater Group) code to unlock the pre-sale event.

Still the ticket bots blew the first 20 rows out within 1-2 minutes....They are already on StubHub and various other online ticket sites for 2-3x value. I paid $87.00 a pc........I am happy regardless.

-------------

Date Posted: March 11 2017 at 21:01

Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Yes public gen sales is next week.....good luck! I am sure some were saved. 
I have an STG (Seattle Theater Group) code to unlock the pre-sale event.

Still the ticket bots blew the first 20 rows out within 1-2 minutes....They are already on StubHub and various other online ticket sites for 2-3x value. I paid $87.00 a pc........I am happy regardless.

I think at this point I would rather see 3-4 smaller shows at Croc for the same total cost. Or 2 shows and and chile rellanos for me and my wife. 

What are your STG dues if you don't mind me asking?

-------------

Date Posted: March 12 2017 at 10:54
^ No dues...just sign up for the news letter.

-------------

Date Posted: March 12 2017 at 12:01
Will definitely do that. Thanks.

-------------

Date Posted: March 13 2017 at 17:17
Originally posted by TronFlutes TronFlutes wrote:

RE: Toronto show. The first day of sale I mentioned WAS the presale day. LiveNation had an easy to find password (which I was using) and sections were reserved for American Express card holders as well. I found out after the fact the only reliable way to order on that day was with a Ticketmaster smartphone app. Either their online software failed or it couldn't handle the onslaught of professional scalper demand. I guess when you have a monopoly, you really don't have to give a crap. Yea, I'm bitter.

What happened to the days when you would skip school and  line up at Ticket Master at 6 AM in the morning? 

Date Posted: March 13 2017 at 17:34
^Ticket Master was the beginning of the end for fair ticketing. The fairness of a lineup ended when venues outsourced.

-------------

Date Posted: June 25 2017 at 15:59
So has no one gone?  Or maybe I missed a thread.

Saw them last night in Denver.  Wonderful!!!  Here is the set list for this show (looks like its altered somewhat for each show):
Neurotica
The ConstrucKtion of Light
Pictures of a City
Radical Action III
Cirkus
Lizard (c) The Battle of Glass Tears
Hell Hounds of Krim (triple drum solo)
Red
Fallen Angel
Islands

Indiscipline
Easy Money
The Letters
Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Part One
Meltdown
Radical Action II
Level Five
Starless

Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Part Two
The Court of the Crimson King
"Heroes" (David Bowie cover)
21st Century Schizoid Man

As I was driving to the show "Pictures of the City" started running through my head.  Strange, because I haven't listened to that album in years.  So I was blown away when I heard those opening notes!  So cool.
And "Cirkus" followed by the end of "Lizard"; whodathunk!  And that wasn't even the biggest surprise.  "Islands" to end the first half!!  One of my Crimson faves.  Beautiful.

A sung version of "Indiscipline," with an extended intro, opened the second half.  I like it!  Both "Easy Money" and "The Letters" had extended psychedelic jazz freakouts in their mid-sections.  Could have been disastrous, but not in the hands of these masters.  "Meltdown" appears to be a new(ish) vocal song.  Had never heard it and wondered what Belew album I had missed it from.  Actually don't have The Power To Believe, so I thought it could have been from that, but apparently its a recent Jakszyk/Fripp song.  This was immediately followed by the amazing instrumental "Radical Action II".  Just wow.

"Starless" (surprise) ended the "second half".  Of course we knew they would have an encore.  A great (yes!!!) Gavin Harrison drum solo in "The Court of the Crimson King".  There should have been dancing (but wasn't) during the upbeat "Heroes" cover.  (This was actually the song that stayed in my head during the drive home.)  And of course "21st Century Schizoid Man" to end the evening.

Man oh man.  "A Majestic Cacophony" is the best way I can describe it.  If you are any kind of Crimson fan you really shouldn't miss it.  It seems likely to me that this would be their last U.S. tour.  Just a guess, but Fripp is 71, after all.  (And he tripped on something coming back on stage for the second half.  Yikes!)

Jakko Jakszyk sang wonderfully on all the songs, no matter that the originals were, what, four or five (including Bowie) different singers.  He also played some of the leads; particularly notable being the first half of the "Starless" instrumental section.  Great job!  And Fripp was great as well (of course).  Tony Levin had some fabulous Stick and bass (duh).  Having a full-time keyboardist was very cool.  Mel Collins woodwinds generally cut well through the mix.  I only recall one time he was playing where he was drowned out by the rest of the band (don't recall which song).  Good stuff.  And three drummers, what can you say.  I did miss the Bruford style at times, but mostly loved it.

All for now.  If they haven't made it to your area yet, do you self a favor and go!  Even if you don't have tickets yet, you can probably get them still.  The show was well attended but not sold out by any means.

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Posted By: Magnum Vaeltaja
Date Posted: June 25 2017 at 16:44
^ Awesome stuff! I would have been content even with just that first set; stuff from Lizard and Islands - no way! Shame that I won't be able to make it to any of the Canadian shows.

-------------
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents

Date Posted: June 26 2017 at 10:20
Great review. And a pretty damn good set list. 

-------------

Date Posted: June 26 2017 at 14:47
Without dbl checking, I think that is the same setlist I got in Seattle......They were here for 3 nights and I know it got changed up some from first 2 nights.

It was a brilliant show, I agree!! Seattle did them right each night, sending them off with a bang. They were here for about a week prior to the show rehearsing in some studio, Fripp has always been a Seattle city fan....I know Alan White showed up for one of their shows too.

-------------

Posted By: Crimsonsnowdog
Date Posted: June 26 2017 at 14:59
I've been looking at their set lists on this tour, and they've been quite amazing! There were also a few concerts where they played Fracture and Exiles, and even played Epitaph at one or two of the concerts.  I saw them three years ago in Philadelphia, and would definitely loved to see them play again. The songs I's really like to hear, that they didn't play last time would be Circus, Battle of Glass Tears, Fallen Angel, Fracture, Indiscipline, Easy Money, In the Court of the Crimson King, and Epitaph.

On the Jambase website it says there will be a tour in the autumn to include New York City, but I haven't heard anything in the last few months. Maybe their waiting to finish this tour, before booking sites for the fall tour.

Posted By: Nogbad_The_Bad
Date Posted: July 08 2017 at 11:37
Robert Fripp just quoted one of my PE posts on his FB page, looks like he's trawling the internet for criticism, too funny, he also replied to my post confirming Crimson in Boston in early November. Sweet.

-------------
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/

Date Posted: July 08 2017 at 13:14
^ that's great. I'm shocked Frippy cares that much about PE!

And Boston in November eh? Maybe those NYC dates in the fall will actually come to fruition afterall....

-------------

Posted By: Terra Australis
Date Posted: July 10 2017 at 03:46
Originally posted by Crimsonsnowdog Crimsonsnowdog wrote:

I've been looking at their set lists on this tour, and they've been quite amazing! There were also a few concerts where they played Fracture and Exiles, and even played Epitaph at one or two of the concerts.  

Are you sure they played 'Fracture'!!!!! I would love to see and hear Fripp playing this. It's awesome. I was under the impression it wasn't suited to his new tuning. 

-------------
Allomerus. Music with progressive intent.

http://allomerus.bandcamp.com" rel="nofollow - http://allomerus.bandcamp.com

Date Posted: July 10 2017 at 11:39
^ They played it pretty extensively on their last European tour, but only on a couple shows thus far on this American tour.

-------------

Posted By: Terra Australis
Date Posted: July 10 2017 at 19:38
^ Thanks. Still hope then....

-------------
Allomerus. Music with progressive intent.

http://allomerus.bandcamp.com" rel="nofollow - http://allomerus.bandcamp.com

Date Posted: July 10 2017 at 23:26
^ And they played it tonight!!

Too knackered to do a proper review at this point...but a fantastic show. what a noise they make. <3

-------------

Date Posted: July 13 2017 at 08:02
Fall 2017 USA tour dates officially announced:  https://www.dgmlive.com/news/USA%20Fall%20tour%20announced

19 Oct Bass Performance Hall, Austin
21 Oct Music Hall, Dallas
23 Oct Center Stage, Atlanta
24 Oct Center Stage, Atlanta
26 Oct Duke Energy Centre for the Performing Arts, Raleigh
28 Oct Lisner Auditorium, Washington D.C.
29 Oct Lisner Auditorium, Washington D.C.
31 Oct New Jersey Performing Arts Centre, Newark
02 Nov Merriam Theatre, Philadelphia
03 Nov Merriam Theatre, Philadelphia
06 Nov Orpheum Theatre, Boston
08 Nov The Egg, Albany
09 Nov The Egg, Albany
11 Nov Miller Symphony Hall, Allentown
17 Nov Beacon Theatre, New York
18 Nov Beacon Theatre, New York
22 Nov Michigan Theatre, Ann Arbor
24 Nov Hard Rock Cafe, Cleveland
26 Nov Riverside Theatre, Milwaukee

Date Posted: July 13 2017 at 08:06
Boston! Woo woo

-------------
Ian

Posted By: lazland
Date Posted: July 13 2017 at 10:43
Any chance of them revisiting dear old Blighty?

-------------
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org

Date Posted: July 13 2017 at 15:13
I drive up Monday  to Red Bank, NJ,  and saw the show. What an amazing show! The performances from all the band members were outstanding. They came on stage about 8:10, and ended the show about 11:15, with a 20 minute intermission. To my very pleasant surprise, they played Fracture halfway through the first set, followed by Epitaph. I considered myself lucky to have been there for those two songs in which they have rarely played in concert over the years. They also played Cirkus, Lizard- Battle of Glass Tears, Fallen Angel, Indiscipline, and Easy Money, which were all great. The drummers each performed drum solos, in the middle of 21st Century Schizoid Man. I thought this concert was even better than the last time I saw them in Philadelphia 3 years ago.
On the Jam Base web site, there are pictures from the concert, and one picture show the set list posted on a door. The song "Heroes" is listed during the encore, but wasn't played. It was pretty late, so I guess they decided to scrap that song. Not really disappointed. I would definitely recommend you see them if you get the chance.
I see they're coming to Washington and Philadelphia in the fall. I'd love to see them again, but not sure I'll be able to.  Let see if they break out with more songs they haven't played in years like Great Deceiver, Lament, Devil's Triangle, or Cat Food.

Date Posted: July 14 2017 at 00:32
Their "Heroes" is quite fun, but I definitely would have given it up quite willingly to have heard Fracture!  Ah well.

-------------
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.

Date Posted: July 14 2017 at 09:59
^ Absolutely. I was beyond grateful they didn't play Heroes at all. 

-------------

Date Posted: July 14 2017 at 19:16
Will be at both Albany shows....and will be greatly pleased with whatever setlist presents itself....

Posted By: ProfPanglos
Date Posted: July 25 2017 at 17:30
I saw the Seattle show last month - really a great performance, but I thought the 2014 show/tour was slightly better.  Still, a great night.  I do kinda wish they had done something from the '80's albums ('Three' was my introduction to the band, so I have a soft spot in my heart for that stuff), but that's ok.

Posted By: socrates17
Date Posted: August 08 2017 at 17:25
Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere, but the set lists that I've seen don't include anything from the Discipline era (except Indiscipline) or the double trio era.  I'm certainly happy with what I'm getting (I have a ticket for the Beacon Nov. 18th) but it seems odd since they're covering the rest of the band's history.  Maybe Robert doesn't want Adrian to earn any royalties?  Opinions?

Posted By: danonearth
Date Posted: August 08 2017 at 18:13
Hi, I'm not sure this is the right place to ask this, but I am trying to find which version of "Frame-by-Frame' this video is using? I am particularly interested in the bass playing on this version (I play bass :) Thanks!

https://youtu.be/xVuhXKFdqcw

Date Posted: August 08 2017 at 18:21
Originally posted by socrates17 socrates17 wrote:

Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere, but the set lists that I've seen don't include anything from the Discipline era (except Indiscipline) or the double trio era.  I'm certainly happy with what I'm getting (I have a ticket for the Beacon Nov. 18th) but it seems odd since they're covering the rest of the band's history.  Maybe Robert doesn't want Adrian to earn any royalties?  Opinions?

I presume it's partly because that stuff has been played often in recent history, at least more so than things like Epitath and ITCOTCK. This feels much more like a 'history of KC' tour phase (even if things like Level Five and TCOL have survived...they are certainly outnumbered by older material). Also, personally, I think part of it would be that Jakko's voice is more suited to the older material. His interpretation of Indiscipline was pretty funny (and incredibly Jakko) but a fair departure from Belewness.

Also, they did play Neurotica on this recent jaunt.  

That said, probably best not to try and guess Fripp's logic. :p

-------------

Date Posted: August 24 2017 at 19:21
Looks like Fripp and Belew are having a bit of a tiff about Crimson playing Indiscipline with vocals. Belew thought they had an agreement to only play his stuff as instrumentals. Bit of dirty laundry being aired on the acrimony surrounding his departure. Apparently he wanted everyone in the band except him and Fripp to be treated as hired sidemen rather than equal split 8 ways.

https://www.dgmlive.com/diaries/Robert%20Fripp/RF_diary_2017_August_22" rel="nofollow - https://www.dgmlive.com/diaries/Robert%20Fripp/RF_diary_2017_August_22

-------------
Ian

Posted By: cstack3
Date Posted: August 24 2017 at 20:46
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Looks like Fripp and Belew are having a bit of a tiff about Crimson playing Indiscipline with vocals. Belew thought they had an agreement to only play his stuff as instrumentals. Bit of dirty laundry being aired on the acrimony surrounding his departure. Apparently he wanted everyone in the band except him and Fripp to be treated as hired sidemen rather than equal split 8 ways.

https://www.dgmlive.com/diaries/Robert%20Fripp/RF_diary_2017_August_22" rel="nofollow - https://www.dgmlive.com/diaries/Robert%20Fripp/RF_diary_2017_August_22

Yeah, it was a bit shocking to hear Discipline-era music live (Chicago, 28 June 2017) considering the acrimony of Adrian being "fired" by Fripp!  

They performed it well, but nobody could replace Adrian's fiery performance on that one.  

-------------
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!

Posted By: King of Loss
Date Posted: October 06 2017 at 15:46
Going to the Boston date in November! Four drummers bring it on!!!

Posted By: Frankh
Date Posted: October 07 2017 at 02:47
Originally posted by King of Loss King of Loss wrote:

Going to the Boston date in November! Four drummers bring it on!!!

From what I hear, it's three drummers and a fourth who keyboards and mellotrons: Bill Rieflin will also "fairy - dust".

On an associated note, I have never seen this band in person.

This past day somehow a ticket virtually fell from the sky and into my lap. Found myself unable to speak almost, and mumbling something about "bucket list".

Anyone who knows me will tell you how seldom speechless occurs to me. And how delighted the prospect of going to a King Crimson performance will make me.

Posted By: Intruder
Date Posted: October 12 2017 at 18:05
Will be at the opening shows in Austin and Dallas....anyone else on PA going to be at either show?  If so, a pint is in order!

-------------
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....

Date Posted: October 20 2017 at 10:35
[QUOTE=Intruder]Will be at the opening shows in Austin and Dallas....anyone else on PA going to be at either show?  If so, a pint is in order!

My wife and I will be attending the Dallas show.  How did you enjoy last night's show?

Posted By: stegor
Date Posted: October 22 2017 at 20:54
When I saw them in Minneapolis in July Reiflin played keyboards exclusively, up on the second stage tier between Jakko and Tony. As a drummer he was interesting to watch, but as a keyboardist he was stonefaced and stiff. I found myself watching him just to see if he would change his expression. Not complaining though, the Trons sounded great. Pat was a blast to watch, Gavin was a technical master but didn't seem to exude as much personality as Pat. You can't watch Jeremy without thinking Bonzo. It's the interplay of the 3 drummers that matters though. The way they passed the focus from left to right and back again was pretty cool.

The only negative things I can remember are Cirkus and Pictures of a City. They just didn't come across very well live. And they didn't do LTIA PT 2 or Talking Drum.

Posted By: AEProgman
Date Posted: October 27 2017 at 07:09
Just saw King Crimson for the first time ever about 12 hours ago in Raleigh, NC......Damn, just damn!

I am speechless, such precision and power by master musicians.  I have not had time to absorb this yet...have not been to a concert in quite a long time, but could not pass this up.  Not a native of these parts, but it seems KC has not been here since 1972.  I hope to put up the set list later after I find my brain...

They are headed up to DC next for 2 shows and the rest of the tour....just go see this.

Damn....just damn

-------------

Date Posted: October 27 2017 at 12:58
^ Nice to read! All the reviews coming in have been glowing thus far so the anticipation for me is growing out of control. 

-------------

Date Posted: October 27 2017 at 19:44
^ I was full of anticipation for about 2 days prior and know how you feel. 

I bought tickets for my step-son (40 something) for his birthday back when tickets went on sale and informed him that is how it should be done.  He was a little familiar with KC, but not a great deal.  He was floored and said it was the best concert and musicians he has ever scene.  

Anyway, now that I have found half of my brain since last night, here is the set list based on Setlist.fm since I don't trust my memory and am not familiar with some of the songs on the 2nd set.

Set 1
Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Part One
Pictures of a City
Cirkus
Neurotica
Epitaph
Fallen Angel
Drumson Outbreak of Wonderment, Joy & Bliss Arising
The Letters
Breathless 
Islands
Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Part Two

Set 2
Indiscipline
The ConstruKction of Light (part 1 only)
Moonchild
T Levin Cadenza (Tony Levin's double-bass solo)
Jezza Cadenza  (Jeremy Stacey's piano solo)
The Court of the Crimson King
Hell Hounds of Krim (drumson?)
Easy Money
Lizard (The Battle of Glass… more )
Meltdown
Radical Action II
Level Five
Starless

Encore:
21st Century Schizoid Man (Includes Gavin Harrison's Drum solo)
Note: first King Crimson show in Raleigh since 29 March 1972 at Dorton Arena

I was very pleased to hear stuff from Lizard as I love that album, also being my first show of them was elated to hear Epitaph and ITCOTKC (and of course Schizoid).  The whole show is a highlight and a memory forever.  The highest of highs, (besides Larks part 1 and 2 opening and closing set 1) was Level 5 into Starless at the end of set 2.

The 3 drummers up front is an awesome approach, it gives the feeling of so much power.  Loved their Drumson interactions. Jeremy Stacey did double duty on keyboards about 1/3rd of the time (rough estimate) and had a beautiful piano solo.  They are a 3 headed beast (loved Gavin's solo on Schizoid)!

I cannot do justice or begin in describing the rest of the band's performance, just blown away.  I'm not worthy....Damn, just damn!

Thanks Fripp for keeping it alive, and growing!

PS-If you buy T-shirts, CDs, etc... you get a free CD by the Stick Men (Tony Levin, Pat Mastelotto, and Markus Reuter)

-------------

Posted By: King of Loss
Date Posted: November 06 2017 at 23:34
Just saw King Crimson. Absolutely amazing performance!!!Thumbs Up

Date Posted: November 07 2017 at 04:45
Fully agree , Boston performance was superb, sound pristine, set list excellent.

-------------
Ian

Posted By: Gully Foyle
Date Posted: November 07 2017 at 07:17
I took someone to the Boston show who had never heard a single note of Crimson prior - they were blown away

I loved the show, so grateful every time i see KC

I was uncertain on Jakko's attempts at Belew-era vocals, but appreciate that he tried to create new modes of being for those songs, thats a big risk to take as an artist and performer.  

Date Posted: November 07 2017 at 14:45
^ Same with my step-son who knew just a little of their material.  He was Blown away by the show in Raleigh.

They should (hopefully) put out DVD and CD of the North American 2017 tour...can't wait!  I believe there is a live digital version on Crimson's website of the Chicago show.

-------------

Date Posted: November 10 2017 at 14:56
I saw the Washington DC show bank on October 29. It was a great performance as I thoroughly enjoyed the show. I won 4 tickets from the local radio station which was a nice bonus. I took my friend, my wife, who just wanted to be with me, and believe it or not my 11 year old daughter.

Besides me , my daughter was actually the one who enjoyed the concert the most. She heard me playing 21st Century Schizoid Man, while we were in the car, during the summer, and said, "That's a really good song". I told her who it was, and played more of King Crimson's music for her. She mostly likes the songs with lyrics. While she does like some of today's pop music, she also likes some of the bands I listen to such as Rush, Caravan, Camel and Gentle Giant.  She said she loved the concert and was totally blown away. Possibly the youngest girl even to attend a King Crimson concert.

My wife said she like Islands, but the rest of the music was too loud for her to enjoy. My friend who went to see Yes, and Rush with me,  surprisingly said he was not that fond of the concert. He had only heard of 21st Century Schizoid Man before the concert, and lately has been going to metal concerts where the fans jump around in mash pits.

I enjoyed hearing The Court of the Crimson, Moonchild, Discipline for the first time in concert. I also liked Breathless, which I've never heard before.  I liked the new material from Radical action, but not as much as the early King Crimson music. I am curious to hear how other King Crimson fans feel about the new songs, Radical Action, Radical Action II, and Meltdown.

I was looking at the set list from last night's show in Albany, on the FM web site, and Set 2 looks absolutely amazing:

Indiscipline
Cirkus
Lizard
Fallen Angel
Epitapth
LTIA part 1
LTIA part 2
Starless
21st Century Schizoid Man
Encore:
Easy Money

Posted By: Gully Foyle
Date Posted: November 14 2017 at 08:14
Re: Meltdown - my brain kept screaming at me that it was a reworking of 'frame by frame' I need to listen to them closely in tandem.  i wondered if it was a way to take some of the genius of frame by frame and recast it so that it worked for jakko, and was not an 'adrian song'

Posted By: socrates17
Date Posted: November 19 2017 at 12:13
The sound at the Beacon Theater (at least in the lower balcony) was perfectly dreadful. 

The drummers (it would really help if you put bottom heads on your over-used toms, guys) often drowned out everyone else. 

Mel Collins was usually audible, but when he was playing while Jakko sang, he drowned out Jakko's vocal. 

I never heard Jakko's guitar playing except during Cirkus. 

Levin was audible only during the early, soft parts of Indiscipline and in the opening of Starless.  Also, his solo on the upright during Meltdown (I assume, since I heard no lyrics) was audible and terrific. 

Fripp was always audible, both on guitar and when his synth was set to faux-mellotron, and that was all great. 

Keyboard guy in the upper middle (name?) was only audible on piano at the beginning of Cirkus and when his synth (I think it was his, it was hard to tell, but it wasn't Fripp's since he was playing guitar) was set to faux-mellotron. 

I would assume that The Beacon (opened in 1929) is one of the oldest venues played on this tour, and I think the physical acoustics of the hall might have limited even the best sound engineers.  I could hear them course-correcting during the first 20 minutes or so and things did improve a bit.  But this was their 2nd night at the Beacon, so where was THAT at?  Quite possibly, the sound was better downstairs. 

What I did hear was fantastic save for the drummers who, while undoubtedly very talented, seemed to be in a contest to outdo each other and who rarely played with the subtlety this material often requires.  I hadn't expected Bruford, but comparisons were inevitable.

Sorry, folks.  I wish I could report the same enthusiasm that the rest of you have.  I certainly went in really, really psyched and expecting to have my brain melted.  If they tour again, hopefully with Adrian, I'll be a lot more careful about where I choose to see them.  A close friend saw them in a much newer hall in Dallas, and reported none of the sound mix issues (although he agreed that the drummers could have been more subtle - when I talked with him this morning, he compared them to 3 John Bonhams - great if you're listening to Zep circa 1975, but we weren't).

Date Posted: November 19 2017 at 22:34
Another fantastic show from the almighty Krim Saturday night. This band can really blow up a cacophony. Larks 2, Pictures..., Radical 1, and Neurotica really burned bright. I hope they return someday. 

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk